Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 153

Thread: Game of Thrones Discussion

  1. #41
    Slayer shipperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks
    2,252
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 678 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post

    Heh. DVDs of Season 1 are out now.

    And, of course, there's always the books.

    As far as Season 2... it's hard to say how much they're including and how much they're pushing back. They seem to be rearranging just a little and are clearly giving Jaime Lannister (who only had ONE SCENE in the second book) and Robb Stark (who though he did lots of stuff it was always 'off screen' because he wasn't a POV character) more to do.

    Jon Snow is going to be North of the Wall this season. I primarily remember two things about his Book II story 1).... I cannot possibly spoil about. 2) Was a love interest.

    My favorite plots in Book II (which will be the bulk of Season 2... though again, they'll probably steal from III for Jaimie) were Tyrion's and Arya's stories.
    Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
    ~Douglas Adams

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to shipperx For This Useful Post:

    MikeB (10-04-12)

  3. #42
    Bad Boy Lover Cori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 595 Times in 484 Posts

    Default

    So what did you guys think of the season 2 premiere? I thought it was awesome!

    They jumped right into the action of the second book. Of course they had to cut some (of the not so exciting) stuff but I think the writers did a really good job establishing all the main characters' storylines for this season (apart from Renly but I guess that will be shown in the second episode) and of course introducing the new characters. I like the actress they cast for Melisandre, she has nice sinister touch about her. I cannot say much about Stannis yet but I would have liked to see more of his wife. I love that Robb Stark plays such a central role in the TV show, he is great! As is Jon Snow, although he did not have that much to do in this first ep. Craster and his turning his daughters into his wives is disgusting!

    I liked how they shot Bran's wolf dream, I always thought that this is something that would work better on screen than in the book. Some of Jaime's sarcastic lines made me chuckle. I know he is a bad man but I cannot help but enjoy his scenes, the actor is doing a really good job. I loved Tyrion putting Cersei in her place, that was great!

    Littlefinger was not very smart mocking Cersei with the incest thing. I wonder what the writers have in store for him this season.

    Poor Sansa, her life is really crappy right now! Loved how the Hound came to her defence yet again though. Joffrey of course is as despicable as ever, I don't think that jerk has even one redeeming quality. He may just be my most TV show character ever! Kudos to the actor though, to inspire that much hate is quite the skill.

    The last shot of Gendry and Arya (or rather Arry) on the kingsroad was great, I cannot wait to see that storyline unfold. I also liked the transitions between the different characters/storylines, that was cleverly done (e.g. Osha talking about the comet being an omen for dragons and then the cut to Dany and her dragons). So happy the show is back!

  4. #43
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

    Default

    You pretty much summed up all my thoughts (although I did not read the books, I'm still trying to get into the first book.).

    After all the things we saw last season I though I could handle nasty stuff but that guy who slept with his daughters (and granddaughters?) was even worse, I hope this will be the ultimate lowpoint of incest storylines. Ugh! And that prostitute who screamed too hard, that was a rather annoying transition between scenes, I didn't know how quickly I had to turn off the sound.

    The new characters are still a bit new to me, not sure who they are and if I like them.

    I think my favorite storylines are King's Landing, Jon Snow in the North and Ayra (glad the actress cut her hair, the wig was horrific) & Gendry.


    Glad it's back.

  5. #44
    bewitching the mind Mara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked 943 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Ok so I agree basically with what you guys said Except for the fact that I can´t seem to care about either Jon snow or Littlefinger. Too bad considering how

    Jon Snow is seems so important.

    Loved Tyrion he is the reason I kept watching in the first place and I still love him.

    I loved his scene with Sansa at the beginning and the leaving Joff, completely stunned, btw Jack Gleeson, my new favourite actor lol. So what else, Loved seeing Dany and the fact that they put her in this not so great place I am wondering though whether Dany is going to stay good, someone on the forum mentioned this already and I am beginning to think that they were right.

    Ok and a last positive point Carice van Houten (the actress who plays Malissandre) did a majorly god job, so much better then I was expecting, even the accent did not bother me at all. She seems to grasp the character well for now yey Dutch pride lol

  6. #45
    Bad Boy Lover Cori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 595 Times in 484 Posts

    Default

    Episode 2.02:

    Wow they really move things along quickly on the show! But I guess it makes sense if they only have 10 episodes to cover events that span almost 1000 pages in the book. I love Tyrion, he was so badass when he got rid of evil Janos Slynt. And yay for Bronn being the commander of the goldcloaks, I did not see that one coming. I could have slapped Cersei when she blamed Tyrion for their mother's death. They are really making Cersei a more complicated character on the show who does have some vulnerabilities (such as her not knowing beforehand that Joffrey had ordered the execution of Robert's bastards). But then she says something cruel like the above to Tyrion and she is full blown evil Cersei again.

    Arya and Gendry are awesome together, I love that Gendry is not fooled by her playing a boy and that he wanted to call her "my lady", etc. I also loved that they talked about Ned, that was lovely. Hot Pie really is not the sharpest tool in the shed though, is he?

    Stannis and Melisandre, eww! That's an image I could have done without. Apparently Stannis' wife is not gonna play a role on the TV show, they seem to be focusing solely on Melisandre and Stannis.

    I loved Theon's sister tricking him just as much as I did in the book. Balon Greyjoy is a big jerk (no surprise there).

    Still no Renly! *pouts* Hopefully, Catelyn will have reached his camp in the next episode.

  7. #46
    Detective Veverka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Twelfth Precinct
    Posts
    788
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 99 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    I felt like the last episode moved quite fast too- but I guess in the book a lot of things are going on all at once, it's just that we only see one character at a time in the books.

    I feel so bad for Theon.

    As for Cersei, she's still hard to feel sympathy for, but I feel somewhat more sympathy for her in the show than I did so far in the books.

    Arya and Danaerys are still my favourites... I guess I don't see that changing!

  8. #47
    Roadie galathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Offworld
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 885 Times in 760 Posts

    Default

    Is it really necessary to use spoiler tags in here? It is an episode discussion thread, after all. So I would suggest that spoiler tags only apply to book spoilers.

    I thought comnpared to the fantastic season opener, the second episode was not quite as tightly written. The drawn-out Littlefinger scene in particular was redundant and told us nothing new about the character. The time could have been used for more important scenes, for example giving us an update on Robb, Cat, Sansa or Joffrey instead.

    My favourite scenes have been the ones with Arya and Gendry, hands down. Their friendship is adorable, and I love the honesty and banter between them. I am looking forward to seeing more of them. All Tyrion scenes have been gold as well, he certainly knows how to survive amidst all the scheming in the capitol and I am finding a whole new appreciation for the cunning side of his character. The confrontation between Tyrion and Cersei was certainly a highpoint of the episode for me as well. And then there is Jon and the events north the wall, which still keep me thoroughly captivated. The scene where he discovers that Craster gives his boys to the White Walkers was one of the creepiest scenes in a long while and that cliffhanger was evil!

    Admittedly, I have a hard time connecting to the storyline around Stannis. Since we are thrown into the story without getting a background on his biography and know nothing about his relationship with Melisandre, I find it difficult to become invested or even make sense of their interaction. I am not sure if it is the actor or the way the character is written, but Stannis lacks the gravitas I would expect from his character and he has no charisma whatsoever. However, Davos quickly grew on me, and he makes the events in Dragonstone at least halfway interesting to me.
    Last edited by galathea; 10-04-12 at 12:15 PM.

  9. #48
    Thread Saviour Francy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG Command
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    716
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post

    Admittedly, I have a hard time connecting to the storyline around Stannis. Since we are thrown into the story without getting a background on his biography and know nothing about his relationship with Melisandre, I find it difficult to become invested or even make sense of their interaction. I am not sure if it is the actor or the way the character is written, but Stannis lacks the gravitas I would expect from his character and he has no charisma whatsoever.
    But that's the point! Stannis is supposed to have the charisma of a potato. It's his character trait since season 1, when we weren't introduced to him yet. It's why Renly (where is he, by the way?) can even make an attempt to the throne in the first place. Stannis has a rightful claim on the throne of Westeros, but he is so stuck-up, plain and boring that he lacks the people's support. Renly, on the other hand, has a lesser claim on the throne, but as compensation, he has what his brother lacks: charisma, charm, and the people's love. Everyone loves him.

    So if Stannis started coming off interesting and fascinating I think it would be a misportrayal on the show's part.

    |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

    Cori (10-04-12),MikeB (10-04-12)

  11. #49
    Roadie galathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Offworld
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 885 Times in 760 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    But that's the point! Stannis is supposed to have the charisma of a potato. It's his character trait since season 1, when we weren't introduced to him yet. It's why Renly (where is he, by the way?) can even make an attempt to the throne in the first place. Stannis has a rightful claim on the throne of Westeros, but he is so stuck-up, plain and boring that he lacks the people's support. Renly, on the other hand, has a lesser claim on the throne, but as compensation, he has what his brother lacks: charisma, charm, and the people's love. Everyone loves him.

    So if Stannis started coming off interesting and fascinating I think it would be a misportrayal on the show's part.
    Oh, I know that. It's just that he is also rumoured to be a great warrior who defeated many of Robert's enemies for him during the war and I don't really get that from his character either. His physique alone does not exactly scream 'fighter'. I dunno, I guess I expected someone more imposing in figure, but dull in spirit.

  12. #50
    Thread Saviour Francy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG Command
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    716
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post
    Oh, I know that. It's just that he is also rumoured to be a great warrior who defeated many of Robert's enemies for him during the war and I don't really get that from his character either. His physique alone does not exactly scream 'fighter'. I dunno, I guess I expected someone more imposing in figure, but dull in spirit.
    Give him time, maybe he will surprise us!!! To be honest, I don't even really see all that charisma coming from the actor they cast as Renly! He should be way more goodlooking and charming to live up to the hype! But I guess we will see how these two work, we haven't really seen very much of both characters!

    |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

  13. #51
    Detective Veverka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Twelfth Precinct
    Posts
    788
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 99 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post
    Is it really necessary to use spoiler tags in here? It is an episode discussion thread, after all. So I would suggest that spoiler tags only apply to book spoilers.
    Excellent

    I thought comnpared to the fantastic season opener, the second episode was not quite as tightly written. The drawn-out Littlefinger scene in particular was redundant and told us nothing new about the character. The time could have been used for more important scenes, for example giving us an update on Robb, Cat, Sansa or Jeoffrey instead.
    Indeed. And Littlefinger is someone who I can't see really being able to be overly redeemed, so given he continued to be horrible to one of the girls who works for him, I too thought it was too drawn out, and that the only advantage of the scene was continuing the narrative that slaughtering Robert's bastards does have an impact and could affect the way the people of King's Landing see Joffrey and Cersei.

  14. #52
    Slayer MikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, Calif.
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks
    3,437
    Thanked 594 Times in 351 Posts

    Default

    * I kinda don’t like Peter Dinklage as lead on this show as some of his screentime seems a little forced. Although, I don’t know who else should be lead. But Ned’s absence is mostly notable because his screentime never seemed forced.

    * As for the Clash of the Kings stuff, I feel for the Starks as Joffrey unnecessarily killed Ned and the Lannisters don’t seem to respect the Starks even though the Stark family is the second barrier to the dangers beyond the Wall.

    * I don’t remember if it’s actually been said on the TV show why Robert Baratheon was made King instead of say Ned or Jaime. Apparently it’s because
    Spoiler:
    Robert actually had some Targareyn blood in him. So, with Robert dead, Stannis and Renly’s claim is that they to have Targareyn blood in them. So, with that, I root for Danerys as she’s actually all-Targareon.


    * And even though Winter is Coming, these highborn families don’t seem to consider that they should be concerned about what’s beyond the Wall. In 2.01, the Council is actually informed that there’s a ‘King’ beyond the Wall with a massive army and Cersei just dismisses this and the Wall needing more men.


    * I consider that Joffrey gets too much unwarranted hate from fans. In his mind he’s Robert’s heir. That one kid fighting with Arya was a no-no given that Arya is a Lady and the sister of the girl who’s to be the future Queen. And anyone striking the Prince in this world is punishable by death and it’s pretty much only Robert’s friendship with Ned that lets Arya off so easily. And whatever he says I find it unlikely that Joffrey’s so uncaring that Robert rampantly cheated on Cersei given how loyal Joffrey relatively seems to Sansa. And then Joffrey after becoming a child King has to deal with rumors that he’s actually the son of Cersri and Jaime and therefore not even the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. From Joffrey’s perspective, Ned is simply a traitor who wanted to depose the new King and therefore he rightfully should be killed. And Joffrey also rightfully believes that the Kingdom would be better served with the King controlling the armies of Westeros instead of having every family or person with enough money being able to have their own armies. So far, Joffrey’s killed a traitor – in his mind at the time --, had to kill the other sons of Robert – only because of the rumors that Joffrey is not actually Robert’s son – and Joffrey rightly wants to kill the other traitors to the Crown. It seems it’s glossed over – or people don’t care – that Ned simply because he didn’t like the Lannisters decided to have ‘the Crown’ go to war against the Lannisters. Yeah, the family of the Queen and the family that is pretty much the bankers and financiers to all of Westeros. And I don’t know that happens in the book, but the TV show also makes it seem that Ned partly to mostly wants Joffrey off the Throne simply because he doesn’t like the Lannisters. Littlefinger – the supposedly practical guy – betrayed Ned because Littlefinger considered that Stannis would be a terrible King and trying to dethrone Joffrey would result in civil war.

    Also of course is that Joffrey has his Mother as Regent and has those like Tywin and Tryion to help him rule Westeros. Currently, all of the ‘bad stuff’ Joffrey has done as King has been to protect his Kingship. So how exactly is that far worse than Stannis or Renly or Danerys wanting to kill thousands of people in order to try to claim the Iron Throne?


    * And even though Tyrion is clever and awesome, it’s reasonable why Tywin and Cersei don’t exactly adore the guy. We find out in 2.01 that Cersei’s mother and Tywin’s wife died giving birth to Tyrion. And Tyrion being a dwarf meant that he’d be relatively useless in a battle. And before Tywin made him Hand of the King, it seems that Tryion simply lived a lavish lifestyle spending Lannister money while Jaime did things like be Kingslayer, a Knight, etc. and Cersei married Robert and had a loveless marriage all so that the Lannisters would have real political power. But then as soon as Tywin saw that Tyrion’s smarts can be useful, he made him Hand of the King and told him to keep Cersei and Joffrey in check.

    * For the Council, why exactly are Littlefinger and the eunuch guy so important that Cersei and Tyrion, respectively, couldn’t simply kill them? Littlefinger is a pimp – who seems to have no family – who for some reason is on the Council. And the eunuch guy simply seems to be the Council ‘gossip’ or whatever.

  15. #53
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

    Default

    I don't think there is a real lead; Cersei, Dany, Tyrion & Jon all get quite some screentime, even when nothing special is happening to them at that moment (Dany now, Jon when he was just sulking around on that wall last season). I guess Cersei & Tyrion get extra screentime because of the actors (big names) and the other two because they are candidates for the Iron Throne. Jon with his unknown parents (I do not believe that Ned is his father) and Dany with her dragons and being a Targareyn.

    Episode 2 was enjoyable although I agree that it was less than the first episode. I was really happy to see more Arya and Gendry. Also glad that Gendry noticed that she was a girl long before she said it. It's a bit obvious. Their friendship is adorable and I hope they will be fine. Otherwise it was a very Stark-light eisode.

    Cersei is very hard to care about, same as Joffrey. The redeeming feature of both is the fantastic acting but as characters they are so evil I can't find any sympathy for neither of them. The way he blamed Tyrion for her mother's death was a really low blow (like killing innocent babies wasn't enough).

    Theon is such an idiot that I'm not sure if I feel bad for him, but him hitting on his sister was certainly ackward.

    Little Finger & Ros were ehhh, the scene confused me and Ros can't cry.

    And wha did happen on the end?! Did the little boy get eaten by something? Talking about Jon, I love Sam.

    Renly still not being there is a bit disappointing, he was in so many previews and other released material. I hope Cat reaches his camp next episode.

  16. #54
    Roadie galathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Offworld
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 885 Times in 760 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    And wha did happen on the end?! Did the little boy get eaten by something? Talking about Jon, I love Sam.
    No, I think it was implied that the little boy was taken away by a White Walker. It didn't seem to harm the child, but I'll need to rewatch the scene to be sure. So I guess Craster has some kind of deal with them, which allows him to survive in the wilderness even though everyone else is fleeing from the White Walkers.

  17. #55
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

    Default

    Thank you, and that's creepy. I didn't recognize a white walker in the shadow but it makes sense that Craster made a deal with something to be left alone.

  18. #56
    Detective Veverka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Twelfth Precinct
    Posts
    788
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 99 Times in 40 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I consider that Joffrey gets too much unwarranted hate from fans. In his mind he’s Robert’s heir. That one kid fighting with Arya was a no-no given that Arya is a Lady and the sister of the girl who’s to be the future Queen. And anyone striking the Prince in this world is punishable by death and it’s pretty much only Robert’s friendship with Ned that lets Arya off so easily.
    No, he very clearly had a problem with Arya messing around when he had an opportunity to show off in front of Sansa- it backfired, and he was shamed, and couldn't deal with it.

    And whatever he says I find it unlikely that Joffrey’s so uncaring that Robert rampantly cheated on Cersei given how loyal Joffrey relatively seems to Sansa.
    Joffrey is an absolute ass to Sansa! He made her look at her father's head on a pike, for heaven's sake!

    And then Joffrey after becoming a child King has to deal with rumors that he’s actually the son of Cersri and Jaime and therefore not even the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. From Joffrey’s perspective, Ned is simply a traitor who wanted to depose the new King and therefore he rightfully should be killed.
    No, Joffrey knew pardoning Ned was the right thing to do. And chose to not do the right thing.

    And Joffrey also rightfully believes that the Kingdom would be better served with the King controlling the armies of Westeros instead of having every family or person with enough money being able to have their own armies. So far, Joffrey’s killed a traitor – in his mind at the time --, had to kill the other sons of Robert – only because of the rumors that Joffrey is not actually Robert’s son – and Joffrey rightly wants to kill the other traitors to the Crown.
    Yes, killing! Let's have more of it! To save Joffrey. Um... what?! Yes, it's a harsh world, it really is. But that doesn't make it right. Joffrey is very much the "kill first, ask questions... never" kind of king.

    It seems it’s glossed over – or people don’t care – that Ned simply because he didn’t like the Lannisters decided to have ‘the Crown’ go to war against the Lannisters. Yeah, the family of the Queen and the family that is pretty much the bankers and financiers to all of Westeros. And I don’t know that happens in the book, but the TV show also makes it seem that Ned partly to mostly wants Joffrey off the Throne simply because he doesn’t like the Lannisters. Littlefinger – the supposedly practical guy – betrayed Ned because Littlefinger considered that Stannis would be a terrible King and trying to dethrone Joffrey would result in civil war.
    I think it was pretty clear that Ned didn't want a war against the Lannisters, just because he disliked them- Ned was a man of honour and he actually believed in his heart that Joffrey was not the rightful king, and therefore, should not be on the throne.

    Also of course is that Joffrey has his Mother as Regent and has those like Tywin and Tryion to help him rule Westeros. Currently, all of the ‘bad stuff’ Joffrey has done as King has been to protect his Kingship. So how exactly is that far worse than Stannis or Renly or Danerys wanting to kill thousands of people in order to try to claim the Iron Throne.
    I'm pretty much bewildered that you are defending Joffrey! As for the people trying to help Joffrey, I think the point is, he's not listening to them, and killing babies, etc, unsanctioned.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veverka For This Useful Post:

    galathea (11-04-12),sherrilina (17-04-12)

  20. #57
    Slayer MikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, Calif.
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks
    3,437
    Thanked 594 Times in 351 Posts

    Default

    Veverka

    No, he very clearly had a problem with Arya messing around when he had an opportunity to show off in front of Sansa- it backfired, and he was shamed, and couldn't deal with it.
    The guy is the Prince and that boy could have potentially hurt the sister of the future Queen. I never said he’s a saint but what Arya did – striking him with the wooden sword – is probably treason. In 3.02, Joffrey reminds Cersei that hitting the King is punishable by death.

    Joffrey is an absolute ass to Sansa! He made her look at her father's head on a pike, for heaven's sake!
    In his mind, Ned Stark was a traitor.

    No, Joffrey knew pardoning Ned was the right thing to do. And chose to not do the right thing.
    Ned was never going to be ‘pardoned’. If I remember correctly, Cersei’s plan was to send Ned to the Night’s Watch. But Winterfell is on the way there, so, perhaps it was actually best to execute the traitor.

    Yes, killing! Let's have more of it! To save Joffrey. Um... what?! Yes, it's a harsh world, it really is. But that doesn't make it right. Joffrey is very much the "kill first, ask questions... never" kind of king.
    A lot of Kings have killed a lot of people in order to hold onto power. As-is, was Robert Baratheon a good King? It doesn’t seem so but the other families fell into line. Ned is responsible for more death than Joffrey because Ned decided – likely simply because he hates the Lannisters – to tell Stannis that Joffrey isn’t the legitimate King. And Stannis decided to tell everyone. And so the families are at war to claim the Iron Throne and likely tens of thousands will die. Also, Ned was stupid enough to get Robert to stop trying to kill Daneryns. So, he’s responsible for all the deaths that she will cause.

    I think it was pretty clear that Ned didn't want a war against the Lannisters, just because he disliked them- Ned was a man of honour and he actually believed in his heart that Joffrey was not the rightful king, and therefore, should not be on the throne.
    Ned said that the Crown was now at war with the Lannisters because that one knight was murdering people. Ned hated the Lannisters and loved Robert. No one seems to think that Stannis would be a more suitable King.

    I'm pretty much bewildered that you are defending Joffrey!
    He gets a lot of unwarranted hate because it seems viewers merely focus on their liking Ned Stark. They don’t seem to even consider Joffrey’s perspective.

    As for the people trying to help Joffrey, I think the point is, he's not listening to them, and killing babies, etc, unsanctioned.
    Again, he killed those babies because of those rumors. He doesn’t want there to be any possibly more ‘legitimate’ heirs to the Throne than himself.

  21. #58
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

    Default

    I really liked the last epsode, it made me feel bad for so many characters though. And it's sad to see the awesome guy from the Nights Watch go, I liked his conversation with Arya. It's amazing how many talented child actors they found, both Arya & Sansa are played by fantastic young actresses. You saw Arya planning her revenge.

    And Renly's wife is practical, good for him I guess. It makes it all a bit easier. Loras looks so much better without the wig from last year. Brienne was fantastic, great to see a female knight.

    Tyrion remains awesome, I loved the way he filtered out the one who leaks to Cersei. Cersei is so incredible cruel to Sansa, it's strange to see how much she loves her childeren and brother but can't show a bit of kindness for a young girl who is going to marry her little monster.

    Theon, ai... not sure if I feel bad for him or want to shake my head. This is all going so wrong, his father will never love him and he is going to ruin everything anyway.
    Last edited by Nina; 17-04-12 at 03:50 PM.

  22. #59
    Roadie galathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Offworld
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 885 Times in 760 Posts

    Default

    I agree. I really loved the episode and thought it was way better paced and had an overall better flow to it than the previous one. It was a slow episode, but with many excellent character scenes, most notably the conversations between Arya & Yoren, Cat & Renly, Maester Luwin & Bran and Cersei & Sansa, as well as Tyrion's clever scheme to get Cersei's spy out in the open.

    I am glad that we finally got some insight into Renly and his followers. I think Renly's rather pompous encampment with games and other merriments, built a striking contrast to Robb's simple but highly organised troops. Robb is fighting a war, while it seems that Renly doesn't really take his situation seriously yet. He appears more concerned with his sex life than with battle strategy, and that doesn’t bode well for his longevity or a pact between him and Robb. Apart from that, I thought the introduction of Brienne was fabulous and I really liked Renly's wife Margaery as well.

    I was a tad disappointed that the resolution to last week's cliffhanger was so anti-climactic. Craster's reaction to Jon's actions seemed rather tame, given his dire threats against Jon when they first arrived at his camp. However, the scenes between Sam and Gilly were rather adorable!

    I have no love for Theon. I find him rather crass and sleazy, and I suspected from the start that he will betray Robb once he returns home. But I do appreciate the complexity of his situation. Abandoned by his own family as a child and raised as a ward with his enemies, he doesn’t really belong anywhere. The Starks obviously treated him well, but I doubt that he ever felt as their equal, and the fact that his father easily replaced him with his sister obviously hurt him deeply. So, overall I find his actions understandable, even though I don’t actually like him as a person.

    Talking about the Greyjoys, their plan to take the north while Robb and his bannermen set out to conquer the south seems quite well-thought out. I now worry about Robb’s chances, when his army is trapped between the Greyjoys’ in the north and the Lannisters in the south. It seems impossible for him to win without some solid allies, but at the moment I don’t see that happening.
    Last edited by galathea; 17-04-12 at 01:46 PM.

  23. #60
    Sassenach sherrilina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 166 Times in 129 Posts

    Default

    I've enjoyed this season so far more than the last, probably because the ball has already started rolling in terms of action, whereas last season things progressed very slowly until the very end. Still wish people wore name tags though, lol, reading these posts there are a few names for which I have no idea who they are...

    I like Cersei a lot more this season, I think she's more sympathetic and also doesn't spend 98% of her screentime tilting her head to one side with a smug expression on her face (the head tilt thing just irked me in a pet peeve way, lol, did she not ever get neck cramps? ). I disagree with those who say she was being too cruel to Tyrion about their mother dying because of him--she was only giving as good as she got from him (he was saying some pretty terrible things to her), and I think it gave us a fascinating insight into her character and why she feels the way she does about Tyrion. It's not rational, but when you are a child and see your mother die are you really going to be rational about it? No, you are going to blame the thing you perceive as causing the tragedy...

    Re: Theon Greyjoy, I agree he's a total jerk (so arrogant, and his treatment of women, ugh), but I also did feel bad for him when he saw how he was unwelcome even in the home he's dreamed of returning to for years. IDK, I just found that story one of the more compelling ones, even if he is an unlikeable person. I loved the scene at the end with him dedicating himself to the "drowned god"--the music and everything was great.

    Finally, lbr, Joffrey is cruel beyond necessity--everyone, including his younger brother, disagrees with his methods and with killing without restraint--I loved the scene where Cersei asks the little boy about what he'd think, and how he gave the opposite response from Joffrey--showing not all of her children are mad from bad incestuous genetics.

    Oh I also love all of the scenery in King's Landing, because they filmed it in Dubrovnik, which I visited last spring!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Ok so I agree basically with what you guys said Except for the fact that I can´t seem to care about either Jon snow or Littlefinger.
    Lol, glad I'm not the only one who dislikes/doesn't see the appeal of John Snow! I hear he comes off better in the books with his PoV fleshed out, but on screen he mostly just seems too whiney and emo for my tastes... I do find Littlefinger a bit more interesting and enjoy his snark at least, even if I don't find him likeable/sympathetic either...
    Promise that you'll return to me.

    icon by sireesanswar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •