Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Discussion

Hybrid View

Sunnydale High Student RedKryptonClark's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Game of Thrones Discussion

So who's watching? Have you read the books?

I only got to the part in the book where they found the direwolf puppies and have to say that from the pilot the show looks like it jumped right out of the pages. For me the first episode grabbed me more immediately than the premiere of TRUE BLOOD did, but I also love fantasy more than supernatural type stories.

I am glad that I spent the month leading up to the premiere watching character profile videos that HBO put out so that I felt like that I already knew the characters before it started. Otherwise, I can tell that it could be hard to get into.

My favorite characters so far are Ned Stark (obviously,) King Robert, Tyrion Lannister (as my sister said, "who knew that the whoring dwarf would be the normal sibling?") Daenerys Targaryen, and Ayra Stark.

Spoiler:
    After that shocking ending, not quite sure what I think of Cersei & Jamie Lannister -but I guess that we all know now why the Prince is pale blond...*Shudders*

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

I didn't watch all those profile clips and other making of extras. I really love fantasy so I didnt need to be clued in ahead of time. I prefer to experience the story as it unfolds. I did watch the one about the show created their own language for the tribal people. Even that seemed a little spoilerly so I didnt watch anything further. Although I was quite impressed that the show chose such a creative dedication that the book apparently did not.

I thought the first episode was really impressive. It was not silly or watered down to be accessible to everyone. Instead it pushes viewers to keep up with it. I enjoyed it even more when rewatching it because I could better pick up all the connections that were being said rather than just assuming what was going on. I always have trouble discerning words with a strong accent.

Ned is obviously a fave character, I wanted to love him for being played by Sean Bean before even watching the show. But it seems like he has a solid head on his shoulders and treats his family with respect. Which is more than I can say for a lot of other characters. I look forward to seeing all the story lines further unfold. Daenerys entering the foreign culture will be interesting. And I hope to see her become more confident. Perhaps even get some type of revenge on her self absorbed fool of a brother. It was funny seeing how clearly their host was maneuvering him without him even truly knowing it.

Ayra was the tomboy right? She could definitely grow into an interesting character. *crosses fingers* I enjoyed the elder Stark daughter and the half brother too. There was a lot of characters and plot background to be set up so I didnt feel really attached to anyone but could see lots of potential.

I really loved the chilling wight walkers...that was an unexpected plot line and definitely sold me.

I haven't read the books and have no intention to read the books till at least the first season is over although maybe not until the series is done. I don't like to create expectations from the source material. And I don't like the tv storyline to be spoiled as I'm watching.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

I am so happy so see a thread on this here. There is a very good chance 'Game of Thrones. will be a good series because it is based on the 'A song of ice and fire' series which is generally regared as the best fantasy series of all time. Plot wise the books are even better than Lord of the Rings. Influence wise it's up there. Also the author has said that the series is very faithful to his work. Basically if there was only one fantasy series to experience it would be this one. I say this because I haven't read it yet though :P. But apparently it's a very good story.

Basically I can't think of a show right now I would recommend more.
    Last edited by Revan; 21-04-11 at 06:36 AM.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Okay, my general thoughts on "The kings Road." I find myself liking Tyrion more and more as he seems to be the only decent person in that entire family. I don't know what to make of young Danerys yet to be honest. I feel for her and at the same time I wonder if we aren't seeing a villiainess in the making. I'm not at all impressed with the King. I'm sure he's a decent person in his own way, but he seems to be seriously lacking when ti comes to having a spine. Eddard is an intriguing character, but I wish he had stood up for his family a bit more instead of just giving in. I think the part of the story I'm most intrigued by is what is happening at and beyond the wall. The Wight Walkers are creepy and exciting at the same time! Oh, and I seriously want to drag Joffery to a lake, shove his head under the water and hold it there until the bubbles stop.

I can't wait to see what happens next.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Thanks

I've been waiting for these series to start ever since the first casting spoilers. I've read all the books and am very much looking forward to the 5th book coming out in July.

I think the series is beautifully done and I especially love their actor choices for Tyrion and Arya. Both of them are amazing characters in the books and promise to be as good on film.

The only one I was a bit doubtful about in the beginning was Cersei, she seemed far more sympathetic than she does in the books.

Spoiler for the books (and likely the future of the show)
    Spoiler:
    But this way, with Cersei being a lot more sympathetic, it's far easier to understand why Ned wants to give the chance to flee so badly though it's obvious to the reader that this s just plain stupid.

The Dany storyline comes across quite icky on screen. But it's getting better already.

With the rest I'm pretty much in love. With Arya going after the hateful prince Jeoffrey. With Tyrion handing out advice from unwanted son to bastard. With Catelyn, who works a lot better on screen for me. And also with the opening credits. I adore all the little clockwork castle. Can't wait to see how they do Casterly Rock and Dragonstone.

Thanks

So far this series is good. I'm most likely not going to read the books and am going to watch the TV series for its own merits.

Pretty much the major problem with this series so far is the lack of likable characters. Pretty much so far I only like Ned Stark's younger daughter Arya and like that the Starks seem to like that she wants to be fighter.

John Snow so far while interesting feels entitled.

The imp so far is interesting because he uses his mind and instincts. It seems he went to the wall not only to get a connection to John Snow but to see how the wall is protected and learn. And he got to learn how mans the wall.

Where are the other kingdoms? And so far we only see two powerful families: the Lanisters (spelling?) and the Starks. Even the Targarians only have a brother and sister. And are the people going to accept a Prince who is half-'savage'?

Anyway, so far it's interesting though already it's a little boring. Arya's training is the highlight of 1.03 and the conversation she had with Ned and that Ned watched her training and remembered something.

And it'd be nice if Arya killed Jaffray and installed herself as Queen. Jaffrays is a childish brat who seems neither intelligent nor brave.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Pretty much the major problem with this series so far is the lack of likable characters. Pretty much so far I only like Ned Stark's younger daughter Arya and like that the Starks seem to like that she wants to be fighter.
    I think that might be because in GoT there are rarely really good or evil characters. They all are both to a degree and they all have weaknesses and protection mechanisms.

John Snow so far while interesting feels entitled.
    I think it was the point of the episode to target that and to heal him a little from it. Jon is used to being not entitled among the trueborn Starks where he's the likeable underdog.
    In the Nightswatch he's suddenly coming from an überprivileged standing compared to the others and has to see and deal with that.

Which Tyrion, who is in a similar situation with being a dwarf and one of the superrich Lannisters, helps him realise.

The imp so far is interesting because he uses his mind and instincts. It seems he went to the wall not only to get a connection to John Snow but to see how the wall is protected and learn. And he got to learn how mans the wall.
    Tyrion is my favourite character, mainly because he buys nothing he doesn't completely think through first and because he sees right through people and their appearances. He is a cynic but the fun part is that it still makes him compassionate.

Where are the other kingdoms? And so far we only see two powerful families: the Lanisters (spelling?) and the Starks. Even the Targarians only have a brother and sister. And are the people going to accept a Prince who is half-'savage'?
    The seven kingdoms were named before the old Targaryens conquered them and made one realm out of them. Before the Targaryen invasion the big families all had a kingdom.

Some more have already made an appearance if not so important. The Arryns (where the last hand came from), the Tullys (Catelyns family) and the Baratheons (where Robert comesfrom)

Arya's training is the highlight of 1.03 and the conversation she had with Ned and that Ned watched her training and remembered something.
    I interpreted it as him being worried that this might grow more than childsplay for Arya one day.

I like that scene a lot and also Neds clumsy interactions with Varys and Littlefinger. The guys who actually run the realm, since Robert could not care less and Cersei is mainly interested in power,incest and her horrible prince.

I think Martin also does a good job (even if it was a little overdone last episode) showing how children grow into completely messed up grown ups. Joeff's first instinct is to be honest, say the wolf bit him and all he did was scream. Cersei immediately revises history for him the way he did in front of the others.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nixennacht For This Useful Post:

MikeB (28-01-14)

Thanks

Nixennacht

Overall, a great post that made me like the series a little more. Though Ayra is still to me the only likable character. Tyrion also is somewhat likable. Catelyn became unlikable in the last episode (1.03?) by demanding that Tyrion be taking to Winterfell to stand trial for the King's Justice. Really? Without any real proof and after her good buddy in the episode before told her that they needed real information. And she doesn't seem to think at all what the Queen would think about this.

The seven kingdoms were named before the old Targaryens conquered them and made one realm out of them. Before the Targaryen invasion the big families all had a kingdom.
    This is good info but its still not said in the TV series.

Some more have already made an appearance if not so important. The Arryns (where the last hand came from), the Tullys (Catelyns family) and the Baratheons (where Robert comesfrom)
    More good info.

Another problem is that so far we only see two castles: Kings Landing and Winterfall and one mansion across the Narrow Sea. Were the other castles destroyed? And if so why do they still refer to the Seven Kingdoms. Where to the Tullys live?

I interpreted it as him being worried that this might grow more than childsplay for Arya one day.
    Ned is still trying to coax Ayra into wanting to be a 'princess' but he does seem to still like that she likes learning how to fight.

The other major problem with this series is why Robert is still King. Obviously Ned Stark being there helps a lot. But the guy himself is a usurper, didn't even kill the last King, and is useless. All he does is have fun. And it seems none of his main people besides Ned even really likes the guy. And the Lannisters don't seem to be liked. Now we learn that Catelyn comes from a good family and it would seem that Ned should be easily able to become King.
    Last edited by MikeB; 10-05-11 at 12:22 AM. Reason: The way I quoted, Nixenncaht's name wasn't quoted

Thanks

I've read the books but the scene of Ned's death was still overwhelming. The scene was so beautifully directed. The moment of silence just before. Sigh. I feel I want a hug but I'm at home all alone
    I was just talking with a friend who has seen only first two episodes and said "this show seems awfully violent". I said, well, dear, you've seen just the start.
    I can't wait for the 1.10. And for the DVD to come out. And for the S2.
    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_peroxide View Post
    I've read the books but the scene of Ned's death was still overwhelming. The scene was so beautifully directed. The moment of silence just before. Sigh. I feel I want a hug but I'm at home all alone
    I was just talking with a friend who has seen only first two episodes and said "this show seems awfully violent". I said, well, dear, you've seen just the start.
    I can't wait for the 1.10. And for the DVD to come out. And for the S2.
    Yeah, the whole thing was wonderfully directed and there are so many things they are doing wonderfully. I was so worried how they'd do Shae and they're doing her perfectly. Love the little dysfunctional family Tyrion has built himself.

I can't wait for him to take the center stage in Season 2. And yes, this is definitely a show I'll get on DVD.

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sky For This Useful Post:

MikeB (10-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post

Heh. DVDs of Season 1 are out now.

And, of course, there's always the books.

As far as Season 2... it's hard to say how much they're including and how much they're pushing back. They seem to be rearranging just a little and are clearly giving Jaime Lannister (who only had ONE SCENE in the second book) and Robb Stark (who though he did lots of stuff it was always 'off screen' because he wasn't a POV character) more to do.

Jon Snow is going to be North of the Wall this season. I primarily remember two things about his Book II story 1).... I cannot possibly spoil about. 2) Was a love interest.

My favorite plots in Book II (which will be the bulk of Season 2... though again, they'll probably steal from III for Jaimie) were Tyrion's and Arya's stories.
    Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
    ~Douglas Adams

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shipperx For This Useful Post:

MikeB (10-04-12)

Thanks

So what did you guys think of the season 2 premiere? I thought it was awesome!

They jumped right into the action of the second book. Of course they had to cut some (of the not so exciting) stuff but I think the writers did a really good job establishing all the main characters' storylines for this season (apart from Renly but I guess that will be shown in the second episode) and of course introducing the new characters. I like the actress they cast for Melisandre, she has nice sinister touch about her. I cannot say much about Stannis yet but I would have liked to see more of his wife. I love that Robb Stark plays such a central role in the TV show, he is great! As is Jon Snow, although he did not have that much to do in this first ep. Craster and his turning his daughters into his wives is disgusting!

I liked how they shot Bran's wolf dream, I always thought that this is something that would work better on screen than in the book. Some of Jaime's sarcastic lines made me chuckle. I know he is a bad man but I cannot help but enjoy his scenes, the actor is doing a really good job. I loved Tyrion putting Cersei in her place, that was great!

Littlefinger was not very smart mocking Cersei with the incest thing. I wonder what the writers have in store for him this season.

Poor Sansa, her life is really crappy right now! Loved how the Hound came to her defence yet again though. Joffrey of course is as despicable as ever, I don't think that jerk has even one redeeming quality. He may just be my most TV show character ever! Kudos to the actor though, to inspire that much hate is quite the skill.

The last shot of Gendry and Arya (or rather Arry) on the kingsroad was great, I cannot wait to see that storyline unfold. I also liked the transitions between the different characters/storylines, that was cleverly done (e.g. Osha talking about the comet being an omen for dragons and then the cut to Dany and her dragons). So happy the show is back!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,267 Posts

You pretty much summed up all my thoughts (although I did not read the books, I'm still trying to get into the first book.).

After all the things we saw last season I though I could handle nasty stuff but that guy who slept with his daughters (and granddaughters?) was even worse, I hope this will be the ultimate lowpoint of incest storylines. Ugh! And that prostitute who screamed too hard, that was a rather annoying transition between scenes, I didn't know how quickly I had to turn off the sound.

The new characters are still a bit new to me, not sure who they are and if I like them.

I think my favorite storylines are King's Landing, Jon Snow in the North and Ayra (glad the actress cut her hair, the wig was horrific) & Gendry.

Glad it's back.

Thanks

Ok so I agree basically with what you guys said Except for the fact that I can´t seem to care about either Jon snow or Littlefinger. Too bad considering how

Jon Snow is seems so important.

Loved Tyrion he is the reason I kept watching in the first place and I still love him.

I loved his scene with Sansa at the beginning and the leaving Joff, completely stunned, btw Jack Gleeson, my new favourite actor lol. So what else, Loved seeing Dany and the fact that they put her in this not so great place I am wondering though whether Dany is going to stay good, someone on the forum mentioned this already and I am beginning to think that they were right.

Ok and a last positive point Carice van Houten (the actress who plays Malissandre) did a majorly god job, so much better then I was expecting, even the accent did not bother me at all. She seems to grasp the character well for now yey Dutch pride lol

Thanks

Episode 2.02:

Wow they really move things along quickly on the show! But I guess it makes sense if they only have 10 episodes to cover events that span almost 1000 pages in the book. I love Tyrion, he was so badass when he got rid of evil Janos Slynt. And yay for Bronn being the commander of the goldcloaks, I did not see that one coming. I could have slapped Cersei when she blamed Tyrion for their mother's death. They are really making Cersei a more complicated character on the show who does have some vulnerabilities (such as her not knowing beforehand that Joffrey had ordered the execution of Robert's bastards). But then she says something cruel like the above to Tyrion and she is full blown evil Cersei again.

Arya and Gendry are awesome together, I love that Gendry is not fooled by her playing a boy and that he wanted to call her "my lady", etc. I also loved that they talked about Ned, that was lovely. Hot Pie really is not the sharpest tool in the shed though, is he?

Stannis and Melisandre, eww! That's an image I could have done without. Apparently Stannis' wife is not gonna play a role on the TV show, they seem to be focusing solely on Melisandre and Stannis.

I loved Theon's sister tricking him just as much as I did in the book. Balon Greyjoy is a big jerk (no surprise there).

Still no Renly! *pouts* Hopefully, Catelyn will have reached his camp in the next episode.

Thanks

I felt like the last episode moved quite fast too- but I guess in the book a lot of things are going on all at once, it's just that we only see one character at a time in the books.

I feel so bad for Theon.

As for Cersei, she's still hard to feel sympathy for, but I feel somewhat more sympathy for her in the show than I did so far in the books.

Arya and Danaerys are still my favourites... I guess I don't see that changing!

Thanks

Is it really necessary to use spoiler tags in here? It is an episode discussion thread, after all. So I would suggest that spoiler tags only apply to book spoilers.

I thought comnpared to the fantastic season opener, the second episode was not quite as tightly written. The drawn-out Littlefinger scene in particular was redundant and told us nothing new about the character. The time could have been used for more important scenes, for example giving us an update on Robb, Cat, Sansa or Joffrey instead.

My favourite scenes have been the ones with Arya and Gendry, hands down. Their friendship is adorable, and I love the honesty and banter between them. I am looking forward to seeing more of them. All Tyrion scenes have been gold as well, he certainly knows how to survive amidst all the scheming in the capitol and I am finding a whole new appreciation for the cunning side of his character. The confrontation between Tyrion and Cersei was certainly a highpoint of the episode for me as well. And then there is Jon and the events north the wall, which still keep me thoroughly captivated. The scene where he discovers that Craster gives his boys to the White Walkers was one of the creepiest scenes in a long while and that cliffhanger was evil!

Admittedly, I have a hard time connecting to the storyline around Stannis. Since we are thrown into the story without getting a background on his biography and know nothing about his relationship with Melisandre, I find it difficult to become invested or even make sense of their interaction. I am not sure if it is the actor or the way the character is written, but Stannis lacks the gravitas I would expect from his character and he has no charisma whatsoever. However, Davos quickly grew on me, and he makes the events in Dragonstone at least halfway interesting to me.
    Last edited by galathea; 10-04-12 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post

Admittedly, I have a hard time connecting to the storyline around Stannis. Since we are thrown into the story without getting a background on his biography and know nothing about his relationship with Melisandre, I find it difficult to become invested or even make sense of their interaction. I am not sure if it is the actor or the way the character is written, but Stannis lacks the gravitas I would expect from his character and he has no charisma whatsoever.
    But that's the point! Stannis is supposed to have the charisma of a potato. It's his character trait since season 1, when we weren't introduced to him yet. It's why Renly (where is he, by the way?) can even make an attempt to the throne in the first place. Stannis has a rightful claim on the throne of Westeros, but he is so stuck-up, plain and boring that he lacks the people's support. Renly, on the other hand, has a lesser claim on the throne, but as compensation, he has what his brother lacks: charisma, charm, and the people's love. Everyone loves him.

So if Stannis started coming off interesting and fascinating I think it would be a misportrayal on the show's part.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Cori (10-04-12),MikeB (10-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    But that's the point! Stannis is supposed to have the charisma of a potato. It's his character trait since season 1, when we weren't introduced to him yet. It's why Renly (where is he, by the way?) can even make an attempt to the throne in the first place. Stannis has a rightful claim on the throne of Westeros, but he is so stuck-up, plain and boring that he lacks the people's support. Renly, on the other hand, has a lesser claim on the throne, but as compensation, he has what his brother lacks: charisma, charm, and the people's love. Everyone loves him.

So if Stannis started coming off interesting and fascinating I think it would be a misportrayal on the show's part.
    Oh, I know that. It's just that he is also rumoured to be a great warrior who defeated many of Robert's enemies for him during the war and I don't really get that from his character either. His physique alone does not exactly scream 'fighter'. I dunno, I guess I expected someone more imposing in figure, but dull in spirit.