Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Torchwood 4 'Miracle Day'

Thanks

Wow, sh*t got real in the last few epps, didn't it? I'm really sorry to lose Vera, I liked her a lot, but it certainly was a big shock, and a new horrifying revelation in the cremation ovens thing (between this and the 456's plan with children in COE nobody disturbs you like RTD on TV!). I for one have been quite enjoying this season--yes, Rex can be annoying, and it'd be nice to see a bit more sci-fi in it, and it's not as fast-paced as COE (but it can't be with 10 epps....at least it's much more fast-paced than the first 2 series!), but overall I think they've been doing a fine job and that the transition to the US has not ruined the show by any means. I wasn't as much a fan of 4x04, but then in the last two epps it's really picked up again.

Love Esther in the fight scene too, it made her grow on me more than ever, though man they were dumb for using their own names! And how sad about Gwen's dad, I was not expecting that twist, but it is realistic...

Quote Originally Posted by NileQT87 View Post
    Also, "the Great Leap Forward" isn't something I so much as associate with going from ape to man, but Mao Tse-Tung killing 70 million people. Was using that loaded term just an oversight by the writer or intentional? I'm not sure there would be at least some people that that would raise red flags for.
    Yes that is the most famous usage, although it was Mao's economic campaign to advance the industrialization of the country and agricultural collectivization, which resulted in many deaths because of famine (and to a much lesser extent, political violence). I can see someone like Oswald using the term unwittingly though (like he's heard it but doesn't remember the context but thinks it sounds good), or it could be intentional to show how messed up the whole situation is (I mean you'd think him being a pedophile would raise more red flags too, but that's the point), who knows...
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

I'm not sure if you guys are commenting on the latest ep, which I haven't seen, so just scanning your posts with one eye closed! Though, I did read an article in teh Guardian saying that a psychological study has shown that spoilers actually increase enjoyment - something I have experienced in the past. But since I'm watching this series of Torchwood unspoiled, I thought I'd try and be consistent.

Anyway, re the Great Leap Forward, I'm pretty sure it must have been on purpose - surely someone on the writing team did at least GCSE history! Given that Oswald is as sinister as anything, it makes sense that he'd be working with the language of death and domination. As Sherrilna said, the whole situation (and Oswald) is messed up.

I've had a mixed bunch of reactions to this series. There's some very funny writing, plus a bit of lazy writing (all those US/UK language misunderstandings/jokes were lame). I love the way they're upping the ante with the reclassification and the nazi-style ovens.

I do feel still, as I have from the start, that this feels like a crossover between Torchwood and some non-existent FBI procedural. There's something about it that doesn't quite gel.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 613 Posts

Well I've just seen epsiode 7 and loved it. ..

Spoiler:
    Bugger me, now why couldn't all the episodes have been as good as this one, eh? I mean dear lord I think the this one episode was been better written and paced then the entire season so far. Probably a case of too little too late though sadly. *sigh*

I particularly loved the conversation between Gwen and Jack in car, I all rang so true to characters, and dear god can't Jack still be a right crafty bugger too.

And don't get me started on that torture scene. Oh and a nice shot out the the Doctor too.

Well done Jane Espenson.

Thanks

Just watched Episode Six: does anyone else feel like this is moving incredibly slowly? I don't feel like we've advanced at all from the previous epiosde's big reveal about the purpose of the modules. This episode basically felt like it comprised of some brisk walking. Generally, I'm not OK with series that move slowly, but I'll definitely keep watching if the script is good. Unforunately for this episode, I don't really feel like anything is sustaining the slowness and the incredibly plodding script. I really need Jack to go and have some more casual sex with someone good looking. Or Gwen to start being competent for once.

There have been things I've been enjoying about the series. I really think that the mini-series approach works better for Torchwood. Fandom seems to be really divided about this: it seems like half of the people loved the Monster of the Week format and hated Children of Earth, and for the other half it's the reverse. I'm definitely in the pro-mini-series camp. The arc of Children of Earth worked so well: I'm starting to feel like they just gave Miracle Day too many episodes. On the other hand, the plot arc and the feeling like there's actually some kind of point behind the series that will eventually be worked out is definitely positive and it worlds away from let's-just-throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together like Torchwood Series 1.

Lauren Ambrose is great in this and I'm really loving her character. She brightens up every episode. I really hope she keeps popping up. Oswald is suitably creepy too. Although I'm a little confused by Jilly's (or Jillian's, potentially) motivations with Oswald. At first she seemed desperate to get him on board, then suddenly she can't stand him, and she's treating him with disdain? I understand that it's her job to represent him and that doesn't mean she has to like him, but I feel like there was no build-up to her sudden hatred of him. She just seemed so blase about the whole thing before she hated him. Also, the Colm Maloney guy. Why is he so evil? What motivates him to be unhinged enough to go around shooting people? I'm confused by him. Surely he could still get his job done, be a really awful character, and be at least 50% less evil. Maybe?

Esther's cute. I feel like her character is about the most solid we have at the moment. I like that she's good with computers and not good at dealing with the situation she's in. It makes sense. I thought her fight with the Colm guy was very realistic too. People don't stick their fingers in people's eyes in telly fights often enough, I find.
    "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
    -John Green

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosamunde View Post
    Just watched Episode Six: does anyone else feel like this is moving incredibly slowly? I don't feel like we've advanced at all from the previous epiosde's big reveal about the purpose of the modules. This episode basically felt like it comprised of some brisk walking. Generally, I'm not OK with series that move slowly, but I'll definitely keep watching if the script is good. Unforunately for this episode, I don't really feel like anything is sustaining the slowness and the incredibly plodding script. I really need Jack to go and have some more casual sex with someone good looking. Or Gwen to start being competent for once.

There have been things I've been enjoying about the series. I really think that the mini-series approach works better for Torchwood. Fandom seems to be really divided about this: it seems like half of the people loved the Monster of the Week format and hated Children of Earth, and for the other half it's the reverse. I'm definitely in the pro-mini-series camp. The arc of Children of Earth worked so well: I'm starting to feel like they just gave Miracle Day too many episodes. On the other hand, the plot arc and the feeling like there's actually some kind of point behind the series that will eventually be worked out is definitely positive and it worlds away from let's-just-throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together like Torchwood Series 1.

Lauren Ambrose is great in this and I'm really loving her character. She brightens up every episode. I really hope she keeps popping up. Oswald is suitably creepy too. Although I'm a little confused by Jilly's (or Jillian's, potentially) motivations with Oswald. At first she seemed desperate to get him on board, then suddenly she can't stand him, and she's treating him with disdain? I understand that it's her job to represent him and that doesn't mean she has to like him, but I feel like there was no build-up to her sudden hatred of him. She just seemed so blase about the whole thing before she hated him. Also, the Colm Maloney guy. Why is he so evil? What motivates him to be unhinged enough to go around shooting people? I'm confused by him. Surely he could still get his job done, be a really awful character, and be at least 50% less evil. Maybe?

Esther's cute. I feel like her character is about the most solid we have at the moment. I like that she's good with computers and not good at dealing with the situation she's in. It makes sense. I thought her fight with the Colm guy was very realistic too. People don't stick their fingers in people's eyes in telly fights often enough, I find.
    Episode 7 is basically a relaunch - it makes most of 1-6...pointless frankly.
    It is a good episode though and very Torchwood.

Episode 6 overall was a very very weak one - it was just pointless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by densoid View Post
    Episode 7 is basically a relaunch - it makes most of 1-6...pointless frankly.
    It is a good episode though and very Torchwood.

Episode 6 overall was a very very weak one - it was just pointless.
    Agreed: Episode 7 was a great episode. Definitely my favourite of the series so far.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "relaunch" though? I didn't feel like we got any new information here, and the Miracle Day stuff we've learnt up to this point still seems pretty important to the plot. I definitely think the series thus far has been way too slow, but there was definitely some useful stuff in there.

Spoiler:
    I really like episode 7 though! I thought the writing was really great. The script was really dynamic and interesting for a change. I'm absolutely loving the Jack/Italian guy plot line as well. It was sweet, nicely built up, I really felt like the characters had a connection. I really enjoyed the part where Jack decides to let him out of prison. It was very cute.

I'm very curious about where they're going with this.

Jack and Gwen's conversation in the car worked really well too. They showed how much they cared about each other in quite a subtle way, and subtle is not a word I usually associate with Torchwood... so, well done!
    "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
    -John Green

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 613 Posts

Well I've watched it now...(spoilers)
    Spoiler:

And when I realised what they'd done to Rex, my reaction was pretty much that of Spike's from the episode 'Lie to me'

"I've known you for two minutes and I can't stand you. I don't really feature you living forever." *sigh* God why Russell, and why Rex for christ sake? The poor sod needs a personality transplant.

Thing is though I now get why they've been featuring him so heavily during this run, and that because they were always trying to set up the idea of an American based TW with him as the main lead. Sort of the kind of thing Whedon was guilty of doing in season 7 of Buffy, where he spent too long playing around with characters to see what would make a good team for any subsequent spinoff, instead of actually concentrating in ironing out all the plot problems within the actually story.

Imo RTD is guilty of the very same thing here, only with bloody great knobs on. Such as shame because I was hoping to like this series, If not love it as much as Children of Earth.

The thing is there were so many good underused ideas that he brought up in MD, (I found the idea of the world governments now having the ultimate power of life and death over their populations to be particularly interesting) only to be tossed aside in favor of adding even more plot points/characters, who in the grand scheme of things played no real part and we could have well done without. I mean remember the 'Souless', and apart from sacrificing himself at the last minute why exactly did we spend so much time following Oswald Danes when in the end It turns out that most of his progress was pretty pointless.

Hell as many people have said the whole story could have been told in 5 episodes, not 10 where most of it felt like filler nearly all of the time.

Performances by most of the main cast were good (Eve Myles in particular) but I have to say I found the poor sod who played Rex and Ester to be terribly bland and just didn't interest me in the least, so when Ester finally copped It I'm afraid I just didn't care. And I hated the fact we saw so little of Jack. Why Russell, don't you get that some people may actually watch this show to see him?

I strongly doubt that we will see any kind of follow up to this series, and maybe after this poor showing that will be a 'blessing'.

Thanks

I saw the final. I thought the run was pretty solid. The ending was a bit predictable, but not too much.

Spoiler:
    I found the idea of the world governments now having the ultimate power of life and death over their populations to be particularly interesting.
    I agree Sueworld. But this continuation of a radically changed world bring me to the biggest problem I have with this run: where's The Doctor? For months the world has drastically changed because of something alien. Something the Doctor should show up for. where was he?