Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood 4 'Miracle Day'

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 611 Posts

It certainly looks like RTD is continuing to bring many Buffy influences/alum into this latest TW series. I'm really hoping for great things here considering Jane Espenson's heavy involvement.

Banned
    Thanks

A new teaser trailer has appeared online...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQTUp...layer_embedded

Can't wait.

Thanks

There's a new longer trailer out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXskQwl0Xo

Hmm, I hope it's not all only action like it appears in the trailer...I want to see some emotional follow-up on the events of CoE for Jack and Gwen!
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks
    Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,267 Posts

uhuh, this trailer makes it look like an American action movie. Maybe it's just the trailer...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    uhuh, this trailer makes it look like an American action movie. Maybe it's just the trailer...
    That's what I'm hoping too, that it's just marketing to the American audience and Starz, but it's still an RTD/Britishesque product. I mean, there was lots of action in COE and if you had edited a trailer a certain way (all the shooting and explosions and chases and such only) it'd look the same I imagine...
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

Yep, I doubt that RTD would change his series this extreme. And trailers are evil in general, they always manipulate in these things.
    It wouldn't suprise me if some things changed when they moved to America and Starz (what kind of network name is that? I thought that only 12 year old girls wrote words like that.), but not this badly.

*fingers crossed for our own campy Torchwood*
    Last edited by Nina; 23-05-11 at 05:13 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Sadly I think that since the days of CoE the days of seeing any kind of 'campy Torchwood' was numbered. CoE was a huge critical success and so I imagine they will be trying to build on that stylistically.

I do agree that the trailer looks a bit 'average American action series' in tone, but I hope RTD has a card tucked up his sleeve somewhere that will make it a cut above that.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks

Glad to see in the pictures that Gwen's baby has ear protection when Gwen is firing a gun. When I saw that bit in the trailer I was a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by sueworld View Post
    Sadly I think that since the days of CoE the days of seeing any kind of 'campy Torchwood' was numbered. CoE was a huge critical success and so I imagine they will be trying to build on that stylistically.

I do agree that the trailer looks a bit 'average American action series' in tone, but I hope RTD has a card tucked up his sleeve somewhere that will make it a cut above that.
    I did enjoy watching COE (old school Torchwood bothered me sometimes), but if you take COE and make it a tad more American, it doesn't feel like it's part of the Who-verse anymore. At least that's what I fear, but hopefully it's just the trailer.
    Last edited by Nina; 26-05-11 at 06:19 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thats my underlining fear as well. Well not long till I find out now though as the other day I was lucky enough to score tickets for the screening of the first episode at the British Film Institute in London, and (work commitments permitting) hear RTD, John Barrowman and Eve Myles talk about the series afterwards.

God I hope It doesn't turn out to be a pile of crap.

Thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thats my underlining fear as well. Well not long till I find out now though as the other day I was lucky enough to score tickets for the screening of the first episode at the British Film Institute in London, and (work commitments permitting) hear RTD, John Barrowman and Eve Myles talk about the series afterwards.

God I hope It doesn't turn out to be a pile of crap.
    Oh lucky you , when is it?
    Last edited by Nina; 26-05-11 at 09:53 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

The 20th of June. The tickets sold out in a matter of hours. I only knew they were on sale due to seeing someone post a link up on an lj community otherwise I'd have completely missed out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Glad to see in the pictures that Gwen's baby has ear protection when Gwen is firing a gun. When I saw that bit in the trailer I was a bit concerned.
    The protectors make it look all the more hilarious

I did enjoy watching COE (old school Torchwood bothered me sometimes), but if you take COE and make it a tad more American, it doesn't feel like it's part of the Who-verse anymore. At least that's what I fear, but hopefully it's just the trailer.
    I think the trailer might cause problems because its the US trailer.

This was posted by MTV (on the first 3 eps):
    http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/05/26/...=share_twitter

It sounds very good, and that the British influence is quite strong. Plus they pull off the Miracle Day stuff according to MTV so thats a big thumbs up really.

Some things on the cast, but hopefully nothing serious. One of the main dangers I feel in it being so US based is that US actors (no offence US'ers) tend to be a little over-produced in terms of just using the same reactions as is standard across US TV.
    Do you know what I mean? I dunno if that comes across well, but if you want an example - go watch House.

So far things sound positive. Am quite excited. I suppose if anything it'll make the Who split a bit more bearable

Banned
    Thanks

A couple of TW 4 interviews/reviews...

There's a major spoiler in the first one I'm afraid......

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/27/to...-captain-jack/

Whilst MTV Geek's write 10 non-spoilery points on the first three episodes of Miracle Day.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/05/26/...od-miracle-day

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 395 Posts

There's an article in Written By Summer 2011 http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=72023&p=28 The Doctor is in America

Torchwood, Russell T Davies and a nice pic of him with Jane Espenson.
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Banned
    Thanks

Oh thank you so much for posting that. Who'd thought they'd ever see the day when a writer from Buffy would be working with an ex Dr Who producer.

Banned
    Thanks

A very long behind the scenes promo here, with some spoilers. Almost every point touched on that I saw in episode one really.

http://torch-wood.livejournal.com/69...tml?style=mine

Still no news when the UK will be screening this by the way which is irritating to say the least. At the moment it means we'll be getting this at least 3 weeks behind the States.
    Last edited by sueworld; 24-06-11 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks

A very long behind the scenes promo here, with some spoilers. Almost every point touched on that I saw in episode one really.

http://torch-wood.livejournal.com/69...tml?style=mine

Still no news when the UK will be screening this by the way which is irritating to say the least. At the moment it means we'll be getting this at least 3 weeks behind the States.
    Without spoiling how was Ep one. Did it compare well to CoE?
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

Banner by Ciderdrinker

Banned
    Thanks

Well It's difficult because episode one is mainly there to set up the characters and explain to the American audience what Torchwood actually was.

I liked it, although the heavy american feel is going to take time to get used to imo. I think It's good, but it didn't grab me quite as much as COE did. But as I've only seen one episode maybe thats a tad unfair.

It's taking on a massive idea, and so how they resolve this is anyones guess. I'd already guessed what they'd do to Jack so that reveal wasn't such a big surprise to me.

*ETA*

Because I hadn't noticed the last entry was locked here's a download the new Starz vid presentation that I posted a link to earlier...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MRJV6XXW
    Last edited by sueworld; 24-06-11 at 07:30 PM.