Page 1 of 312 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy Season 9 News Thread.

Banned
    Thanks

Default Buffy Season 9 News Thread.

Has she ever watched the show?
    Because if she hasn't.....not another writer that doesn't actually knows the characters, please.....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,454 Times in 2,878 Posts

Good idea for a thread BAF!

I've never heard of Gail Simone before (not a big comic guy) so I have no idea if I'd like her writing or not. Anybody know much about her? Very interesting that they've told her she could write "as much BtVS as she wants" so Joss must be a big fan.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks

Here's what the plan for season 9 should be.

Step 1: Throw obscene amounts of cash at Brian Vaughn to write every single issue. Use blackmail if money isn't enough.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. -- H. P. Lovecraft

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post

I've never heard of Gail Simone before (not a big comic guy) so I have no idea if I'd like her writing or not. Anybody know much about her? Very interesting that they've told her she could write "as much BtVS as she wants" so Joss must be a big fan.
    She did a very popular run on Wonder Woman and made Birds Of Prey(The Huntress,Black Canary and former Batgirl now Oracle) a big hit.She's currently writing Birds Of Prey again as well as Secret Six which is a villains centric book headlined by Deadshot and Catman.

I've read some of her work like various arcs from Birds of Prey and Secret Six.I also read her Infinite Crisis lead-in Villians United miniseries that created The Secret Six as well as her run on Action Comics a few years back.

She also wrote the recent DC Universe Wonder Woman Animated film from two years ago.

I don't know how she would handle Buffy since she's never written the characters but I think she could potentially be a good fit.She's known for writing strong women characters like Wonder Woman and The Birds of Prey.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zathraas View Post
    Step 3: Profit!
    Don't you mean big profit?

I feel like I should know who this Brian Vaughn is but its not coming to me.
    Last edited by PointMan; 08-01-11 at 03:07 AM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post

I've never heard of Gail Simone before (not a big comic guy) so I have no idea if I'd like her writing or not. Anybody know much about her?
    No clue about the quality of her work, but isn't she the one who wrote the infamous Women in Refrigerators crit about comics?

Given some of the events of Season 8, I'd be curious to see what she would do with a Season 9.
    Last edited by shipperx; 08-01-11 at 03:14 AM.

Book Guy
    Thanks

This is good news! Gail Simone is an amazing writer.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

It's ironic that she started a crusade against "fridging " female characters when Joss "fridged" one of his male characters during the show. In fact Joss has done that several times throughout the series.
    Last edited by PointMan; 08-01-11 at 03:45 AM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    Don't you mean big profit?

I feel like I should know who this Brian Vaughn is but its not coming to me.
    It'd probably help if I spelled his name right. I meant, of course, Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the No Future For You arc, and Y: The Last Man.
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. -- H. P. Lovecraft

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zathraas View Post
    It'd probably help if I spelled his name right. I meant, of course, Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the No Future For You arc, and Y: The Last Man.
    Ok gotcha. I never read Y; The Last Man. The NFFY arc was pretty good though. I wish they would get some of the writers who worked on the early seasons of Buffy, but thats a pipe dream.

Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Thanks

She's an experienced writer who understands the medium and can write for it w/o creating a story that's either confusing or fudged b/c of the author's poor talent. So automatically she's better then 90% of the S8 writers (please come back Meltzer!).

Should be worth reading if she's allowed to do her thing.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    She's an experienced writer who understands the medium and can write for it w/o creating a story that's either confusing or fudged b/c of the author's poor talent. So automatically she's better then 90% of the S8 writers (please come back Meltzer!).

Should be worth reading if she's allowed to do her thing.
    Well as long as she can write Buffy who isn't a Bella clone like she was this season, then the writer already has some respect from me, but I'm not a Twilight fan, if you do happen like that series then more power to you.
    Last edited by tripie7; 08-01-11 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks

"Buffy" show writers can't write the comics forever.

And I must say, "Season 8" was probably like a transition period. The transition from TV series to comic series. "Buffy" is now a comic series. So, if you're just reading it because of the show, I think it'd probably be a good jumping off point. I don't see it getting less comic-y. I see it getting more. I think all of us on this forum should come to term with that as we head into "Season 9." If the comic format didn't work for you, honestly, it's probably never going to. If after 40 issues you're still unhappy, I don't see that changing.

I say this because this section is the most vile, toxic places on this forum. And because of all of the animosity and hate by people who still think this is "Buffy," the TV Series, it makes me, and I'm sure a lot of other members, not want to post at all. So, as someone who enjoys "Season 8," I kindly ask those who didn't enjoy it and had pretty much have nothing good to say about it to save their $2.99 a month for everyone's sanity.

"Buffy" isn't a TV show anymore. It's old format and rules no longer apply. The sooner people come to terms with that, the better. As someone who has come to terms with that and wishes to discuss "Season 9" and any other "Buffy" comic Dark Horse produces in a civil manner, I really hope "Season 9" is different. The whole discussing situation throughout "Season 8" was ridicules. There are plenty of "Buffy" fans who don't even acknowledge the comics. Just because they're canon, doesn't mean you can't just go, "Well, the show ended at Season 7. That's where it ended for me too." The comics are nothing more than a extension of these characters stories, a canonical extension, but one that isn't completely necessary to read if you don't want to. So, those who, deep-down, don't want to read it, let those who do wish to read enjoy it, please.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

I don't recall anyone saying that. My statement about wanting some of the earlier seasons writers to write for the comics was made because I enjoyed the stories they came up with and how they managed to fit all the characters in in a meaningful way. I don't have any problem with Buffy as a comic and I never have. I've been reading comic books since long before season 8 came out. My problems with season 8 have nothing to do with it being a comic.
    Last edited by PointMan; 08-01-11 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    "Buffy" show writers can't write the comics forever.
    "Buffy" comics can't last forever.

As long as they do, the writers from the show should be involved if the series is to be taken seriously as a continuation of the show. And so far, they have been very much involved. Why wouldn't they be?

And what makes you think that people hate season 8 just because they say they want the writers from the show? The majority of issues in S8 were written by the writers who did write for the show, mostly Whedon who wrote 14 issues (not counting "Goddesses and Monsters" and the "Always Darkest" supplementary comic) and co-wrote 3 more, out of 40; Espenson (6 plus the Riley one-shot), Goddard (4), DeKnight, Greenberg, Petrie (1 each). So, having most of season 9 written by completely new people would be a big change.

And since most of my favorite issues and scenes from S8 were written by Whedon, I would very much like for him to keep being involved.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Oh, man, I'm kinda torn on this. On the one hand, I love Gail Simone and think she -- who is, yes, fairly instrumental in the development/current writing of a lot of good female characters in DC Comics -- is someone I can trust to do right by such a female character-heavy cast.

On the other hand, I'm a little scared to think about women in DC Comics with less input from Gail Simone; even if I think the more feminist aspects of Buffy canon have taken a hit in S8, the female characters still have a way less raw deal than a lot of female characters in mainstream comics do. :/

(If that weren't the case, Women in Refrigerators wouldn't exist.)

So basically, I have no idea how to feel about this!

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipperx View Post
    No clue about the quality of her work, but isn't she the one who wrote the infamous Women in Refrigerators crit about comics?

Given some of the events of Season 8, I'd be curious to see what she would do with a Season 9.
    The article referenced by "Women in Refrigerators" criticized the need to see women characters *depowered*. After this season...can we say this is talking about Willow? Because if it is...then I'll give Gail a chance at doing something good with Willow after all that.

Edit: after reading her article in full...I'm now of the opinion if Gail Simone is brought on board...she could be the one who is assigned to do work on Willow's character in relation to her new status after being "depowered". Her article specifically criticized that need to see powerful women brought down. And Willow has been brought down *hard*. Buffy only has to deal with understanding the new "world" she has - no more Slayers being called but her job status as Slayer hasn't changed. But Willow's character has alot more to deal with...she's lost her magic powers and now has to adjust to being in a world where shes' not necessary anymore.

So major surgery does seem necessary for Willow at this point. How do you make someone who had powers be relevant after those abilities are gone?
    Last edited by DorothyFan1; 08-01-11 at 01:11 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks

Seeing as I'm already excited for Season 9, the news that Gail Simone has joined the team makes me even more excited. I can't speak on behalf of that many of her past works, but I can comment that one series she writes for now is awesome. I don't follow that many comics monthly; Buffy Season 8, IDW's Angel, Green Arrow and Birds of Prey being the exception. Well Birds of Prey used to only be a guilty pleasure, and I was prepared to drop them entirely in the spring of last year. When it relaunched itself under the DC Comics line 'Brightest Day' though I fell in love again. It also happenes to be when Gail joined the staff...

The books had always been good, but nothing too spectacular or moving. Since her arrival though I've been quite frequently impressed! She really really knows how to write strong female characters and good stories with them. It's become something I look forward to reading, something that I haven't felt towards the Buffy series for a while now.

She has good credentials and knows what she's doing. Plus - I think it will be easier for readers to accept what she gives out as it feels 'big' and 'comic-like,' but grounded in reality at the same time. She balances all aspects of her works nicely, which S8 hasn't done the best job doing.

For the moment I'm quite happy with this announcement!

Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripie7 View Post
    Well as long as she can write Buffy who isn't a Bella clone like she was this season, then the writer already has some respect from me, but I'm not a Twilight fan, if you do happen like that series then more power to you.
    Not a fan per se. I think the story itself regardless of opinions on it was severely hampered by the writer's own incompetence outside of Meltzer. Most of them didn't understand the medium and it's challenges. Hence I've advocated for actual comic book writers to write this comic book.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles For This Useful Post:

ChaddyMan1 (10-12-11)

Evil Twin
    Thanks

How does she write male characters? I see that she has worked on all these different titles with women but how are the men treated in these comics?