Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Preview Pages For Buffy Season 8 #40.(Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leyki View Post
    What i don't understand is why Spike is not on the cover.
    There's gotta be a reason for that.....
    Why is Giles on the cover? Or Angel is the only one wearing white? Or why was Dawn was missing from the first drafts of Jeanty's variant we saw? I don't honestly know, but it's not the first time weird things have been done.

My best guess is Georges just left him out cause he didn't fit? Maybe there'll be an answer in the actual issue.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainOats View Post
    Why is Giles on the cover? Or Angel is the only one wearing white? Or why was Dawn was missing from the first drafts of Jeanty's variant we saw? I don't honestly know, but it's not the first time weird things have been done.

My best guess is Georges just left him out cause he didn't fit? Maybe there'll be an answer in the actual issue.
    Giles is in the issue....in a coffin, ok a little bit macabre, but still.
    Angel, a better question is what is he doing in daylight?
    Dawn was missing because they were trying to fool us with her death.
    And i don't think the sign represents Spike....

Library Researcher
    Thanks

In one of his Q&A's Georges said he was given specific instructions who to include and then added Faith himself so Spike isn't there because Joss didn't ask for him to be included and Georges didn't add him.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    In one of his Q&A's Georges said he was given specific instructions who to include and then added Faith himself so Spike isn't there because Joss didn't ask for him to be included and Georges didn't add him.
    Yeah, found it

24. moscowwatcher: The cover of #40 caused one of the biggest controversies in the fandom. Spike's absence; Angel wearing white shirt while everybody else wears black; Sunnydale's sign restored; Sunnydale's population changed (32 900 against 38 500 on TV show). So far, one chunk of the fandom thinks that Spike is the betrayer and will probably be the villain in Season 9; other fans think Spike is going to die without any possibility of resurrection; there is also a theory that Buffy and her friends have traveled to an alternate dimension where Sunnydale still exists, but its population is smaller because the town doesn't have a slayer to protect people; Spike is still evil and soulless in that dimension and Dawn doesn't exist at all.
    I don't ask you to spoil us - but could you tell us if your cover has any relevance to the plot -- or restored sign, population discrepancies, Spike's absence and Angel's clothes are purely random.

Georges: I honestly cannot say. Not because I'd be giving something away but because I don't know. I was given a list of the characters I was to have on the cover and I went form there. Because there were so many, I basicly did head shots for the cover. I wasn't the one who settled on that cover because I thought it might mirror Jo Chen's covers. My contribution was to add the Sunnydale sign and include Faith (basically because I love Faith). So what Joss has in mind is anybody's guess. I will say once that issue comes out, that cover will be very misleading.
    So, that cover was a misleading one?
    Or does he mean that he drew many covers and they finally decided on that one?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to leyki For This Useful Post:

MikeB (20-02-14)

Slayer
    Thanks

Where did you find that different cover? I've never seen it before...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

That's actually not a new cover. It was an advertisment for the final arc of S8 in another comic or magazine. All they've done is copy and paste panels from different issues and stick them together.

I believe the Buffy picture is from the Twilight arc, the Giles picture is from Issue #2, the Willow image is from Issue #26, and the Angel and Spike pictures are both from Issue #34. God, I've read this season too much...
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainOats View Post
    Where did you find that different cover? I've never seen it before...
    From B-tube

Library Researcher
    Thanks

So, that cover was a misleading one?
    Yes, because it includes Giles who dies in issue 39.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    Yes, because it includes Giles who dies in issue 39.
    The question was for the faux one, mogs already answered, but anyway, thanks

Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Well, if you want her not chained up to the vampires, then a development/change would be to get her involved with a human - male human, which would be far more convincing and easier to buy, and it's not like there aren't precedents for it (and not every human is as boring, traditional and wholesome as Riley). Changing one's sexual orientation is not what I have in mind as 'character development'. It wouldn't make sense, and what 'message' is it supposed to send, anyway? "The only way a strong woman can have a successful relationship is to forget about men and hook up with another woman?"
    I'm not endorsing their position, I'm merely articulating what I believe the PTB stance to be.

The only 'normal' male human to hook up with in her show, blatantly told her 'no' and "I'm not interested". She could hook up with someone from Angel's crew (say Gunn) but again that's a longshot.

I just think at this point, based on the PTB's previous decision-making process, that if Buffy isn't going to be chained to the vampires, it would make sense to Xena the franchise further and involve her with a woman.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,718 Times in 2,231 Posts

Yeah, found it
    "24. moscowwatcher: The cover of #40 caused one of the biggest controversies in the fandom. Spike's absence; Angel wearing white shirt while everybody else wears black; Sunnydale's sign restored; Sunnydale's population changed (32 900 against 38 500 on TV show). So far, one chunk of the fandom thinks that Spike is the betrayer and will probably be the villain in Season 9; other fans think Spike is going to die without any possibility of resurrection; there is also a theory that Buffy and her friends have traveled to an alternate dimension where Sunnydale still exists, but its population is smaller because the town doesn't have a slayer to protect people; Spike is still evil and soulless in that dimension and Dawn doesn't exist at all.
    I don't ask you to spoil us - but could you tell us if your cover has any relevance to the plot -- or restored sign, population discrepancies, Spike's absence and Angel's clothes are purely random.

Georges: I honestly cannot say. Not because I'd be giving something away but because I don't know. I was given a list of the characters I was to have on the cover and I went form there. Because there were so many, I basicly did head shots for the cover. I wasn't the one who settled on that cover because I thought it might mirror Jo Chen's covers. My contribution was to add the Sunnydale sign and include Faith (basically because I love Faith). So what Joss has in mind is anybody's guess. I will say once that issue comes out, that cover will be very misleading. "
    Fans obviously tend to over-think everything.

My guess it that he was told to include Buffy, Angel, Willow, Xander, Dawn and Giles as people who had the biggest roles in S8. It probably has very little to do with what happens in the actual issue #40. And then they probably just left him to draw them any way he likes and make it look cool. Just like he was free to draw anything from the show he thought of in the 'dreamspace memory cubes' - and he even ended up including a headshot of Joss - but the fandom analyzed it as if it was actually important to the plot and characterization.

And yeah, it's funny that they covered Dawn so we would think that she dies in #39, yet Giles is included and he actually died. Makes me think that the cover itself is not misleading as much as the whole hype about the missing person was - the whole point of that hype was to mislead people into thinking that none of the people obviously present in the picture will die.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,081 Posts

Dark Horse April Solicitations

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=30276

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON EIGHT VOLUME 8: LAST GLEAMING

Joss Whedon (W), Jane Espenson (W), Scott Allie (W), Georges Jeanty (P), Karl Moline (P), Andy Owens (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Jo Chen (Cover)

On sale June 1
    FC, 168 pages
    $16.99
    TPB, 7" x 10"

The season finale is here! At long last, the Big Bad stands revealed—Angel is back, and it’s tearing the Scoobies apart, testing the limits of their friendship. But Twilight’s unmasking is only the beginning, and Buffy must still face the ultimate betrayal.
    Series creator Joss Whedon writes the final story arc of Buffy Season 8, taking his greatest characters to places only he can! Teamed with series artist Georges Jeanty, Joss reunites the dysfunctional gang of Buffy, Angel, and Spike, in the thick of it together for the first time since Season 3, and gives the Scoobies their gravest challenge ever, defending reality itself from the onslaught of demons. It’s the biggest Buffy finale ever!

• Collects Buffy Season 8 #36–#40.
    • This volume also includes the spy-thriller Riley one-shot by Buffy series writer Jane Espenson and artist Karl Moline.

Slayer
    Thanks

Just a quick note to mention I've come up with a possible reason why we see the woman in the background wearing the cap trip up Buffy.

I couldn't quite figure it out at first but if you look at the very first panel...you see her wearing the beret with a dog symbol. Obviously a cute image...but there might be symbolism here.

I'm bringing to mind a possibly apocryphal story about Hillary Clinton's wish to join the Marine Corp. According to the "story"...Hillary Clinton went to her local ROTF stand and told the military man that she wanted to join the Marines. She was turned down...but according to the tale, Hillary was told she could "go to the dogs".

This term "dogs" was considered slang for joining the Army as this was a different branch in the military. At least that's what I remember reading when I first heard this story.

The context for this is I was thinking the woman who trips up Buffy may have been working in the military...if only because I remembered this story about the "dog" slang, especially if she's an ex Slayer. So maybe there was a meaning to that dog symbol on her beret cap after all.

I could be wrong. But just wanted to bring this up anyway.

Banned
    Thanks

I am not sure whether i should post this or not, if it's allowed, if not, i'll delete it.
    Found it in BTube, and it's funny.
    IT'S FAKE

Thanks

Nice, leyki.

It's kinda odd that Spike isn't on the actual cover and Angel is, and is directly behind Buffy.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,718 Times in 2,231 Posts

^ I took that cover as the collection of characters who played the largest roles in S8, rather than who's in #40. Otherwise if would be strange that Giles is on the cover.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Library Researcher
    Thanks

I think it's about how it all started... Giles, Xander, Willow, Buffy and Angel in Sunnydale... Faith wasn't supposed to be there after all.
    And Dawn was kinda there I guess... only not... I dunno.

Slayer
    Thanks

I've read comments that it's the number of people on the Sunnydale road sign that could be a clue to what we're seeing. Some saying it's a sign we've been moved back into the past or in a different time line. All of it just speculation.