Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89

Thread: Should Religion be taught in Schools?

  1. #41
    Sassenach sherrilina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 163 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaddyMan1 View Post
    I don't believe religion should be taught in schools but I believe intelligent design should. In fact I believe Intelligent Design, Evolution, Direct and Indirect panspermia should be taught. The more the merrier! Ideas for everybody! But no if they do teach creationism they need to be as vague as possible when talking about the creator. You know call it "The Prime Mover" or "The First Cause". Maybe even TPTB?
    Yeah there's a problem with that, as far as teaching "Intelligent Design" in science classes for instance--it has no scientific backing. There's a reason why it's called "science" class, it's for teaching science...but in a religion-type class sure!
    Promise that you'll return to me.

    icon by sireesanswar

  2. #42
    Konoha Green Beast!
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Peoria, Az
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina View Post
    Yeah there's a problem with that, as far as teaching "Intelligent Design" in science classes for instance--it has no scientific backing. There's a reason why it's called "science" class, it's for teaching science...but in a religion-type class sure!
    Or a philosophy class! Or they can teach that evolution happens to everything and go the ancient astronaut route. Cause evolution's has enough scientific merit to it right?

  3. #43
    Graveyard Patrol
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina
    But if a religion is running/offering the school in the first place, it's not rocket science that they're going to include it in the curriculum.
    Of course. My point is that it's not voluntary in primary school, and only sometimes in high school.

    Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina
    Shouldn't come as a surprise, and the kids can take from it what they will.
    The kids will take from it what they will take but it's not a choice for them.

    But they're being told that false beliefs are true, and that has consequences for them and for others.

    Overall, the consequences of spreading false beliefs are negative. And some specific ones are particularly so.

    Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina
    I doubt for instance a Jewish student who attends a Catholic school is going to feel indoctrinated by the religious ed classes, especially when they have their own religion at home.
    I'm not sure why they would send him to a Catholic school, though those things do happen sometimes (lack of alternatives, or the alternatives are even worse).

    There is high potential for his feeling bad, isolated, and so on.

    And even if not, he's still being indoctrinated at home, so not much gain well, some actually, since today's Judaism is not as bad as today's Christianity (which in turn is not as bad as today's Islam).
    Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina
    Kids can take from the classes what they will, roll their eyes if they wish.
    That's not how it works. We don't choose what to believe. We believe or not, depending on the evidence available, our previous beliefs, whether we trust the person making the clam, etc.

    But when we're children, we (reasonably) tend to believe what our parents tell us, or what the people picked by our parents tell us not always, of course.

    But most of the times nearly all of the times this is so. And when not, they're picking beliefs from their peers.

    That's only to be expected: we're mammals with big brains and long childhoods; there is a lot we need to learn; it's a result of the evolutionary path that led to us.

    So, if children are told that Christianity is true, or that Islam is true, etc., they're likely to believe it. Later, some will grow out of it. Most will probably not, unless perhaps there is a lot of social pressure against the particular religion they were raised into (even then, there's a good number that will probably stick to it).

  4. #44
    Graveyard Patrol
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixennacht
    I'd say that we make an assumption, but it's well within the limits on the assumptions we make everyday interacting with the world. Like that I don't question with every step I take if the ground is gonna swallow me.
    But would you say that we're assuming that, for instance, the Moon landing happened, or Ted Bundy is guilty?

    In some sense, we might have to make assumptions to get to those conclusions (like to every other one), but I don't see how the belief that there is no teapot is any more of an assumption than the belief that the Moon landing happened, or that Ted Bundy was guilty.

    If anything, we need to “assume” that inductive reasoning is a viable means of learning about the world around us, but I don't think using the word “assumption” is correct here, since it seems to have the connotation (at least, in colloquial speech) that it's somehow in need of testing or of justification (presuppositionalists use this, among other issues, to confuse themselves and other people).

    More than assuming that, I'd say we need to consider our reasoning, and generally our faculties, to be generally reliable (though we can question some of them; not all of them at once, though).

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixennacht
    Yeah, but they simply don't understand the concept of believing, assuming and probability. It's just a misleading simplification. To say "I don't believe in anything" is indeed a claim no one can hold. Based on the input we get we all make assumptions and predictions about the world around us. We do that by computing the input from the world around us. We have reasons for our believes, a religion has not (though there are of course psychological and evolutionary reasons for religion).
    I essentially agree, except for the terminology.

    I think “assumption” is not the correct word to describe the belief that there is no teapot, just as it's not the correct word to describe the belief that Ted Bundy committed murder – even if we need to make some assumptions to reach those conclusions.

    Usually, terminology is not that important. But presuppositionalists (and other Christian apologists, even if to a lesser extent) do use these kind of things to make their “case”, and they do manage to confuse a lot – really a lot – of people (not necessarily deliberately; probably most of them are confused themselves).

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixennacht
    There is not really much of a difference I think. In my mind the question of there being god is as relevant for my life is there a teapot in orbit. Even if there was I'd never learn of it so it's irrelevant for my existence until I do.
    Although the Christian god (for instance) would be relevant (depending on the version of Christianity, he can send you to Hell for not believing, or for a variety of other stuff).

    But I don't know if there is any difference in our beliefs in that regard, either (alas, vagueness is the norm when it comes to words like “atheist”, “theist”, “agnostic”, etc.)

    I know people who label themselves as “agnostic”, and they are indeed agnostic with respect to some kind of entity that some philosopher has called “God”, or “god”, but on the other hand, when it comes to the [i]Christian[i] god (or, generally, the Abrahamic god), they agree that we can tell he doesn't exist.

  5. #45
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    I believe that we should have never deviated from what our founding fathers set into motion so many years ago, which was NOT to separate church and state. You know that you can go and read the original documents written by our founding fathers so long ago? Any public legal library has them and they must share them with the public. That was another thing set in motion by our founding fathers that has yet to be erased as if never existed.

    This country was founded on the belief, trust and worship of God and our founding fathers went to great lengths to make it difficult to erase that truth, although to this day, folks do try.

    Without God we have nothing. Look to the Godless nation for all the proof that you would ever need.

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

  6. #46
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    1,842
    Thanked 3,009 Times in 989 Posts

    Default

    What is the godless nation? Is that a real country? Or is it a bible reference?
    Last edited by Nina; 11-07-11 at 09:07 AM.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    6,996
    Thanks
    1,733
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 601 Posts

    Default

    Yes I was wondering that. Also when it comes to

    Without God we have nothing.
    Once again I do hope you're just speaking for yourself there for as an atheist I feel that I have plenty. The idea a person can be seen as less for not believing in some kind of god comes across to me as silly as the idea that somehow someone's morally bankrupt if they don't worship the Tooth Fairy, because when it comes to of any kind of evidence to back up their claims that this deity actually exists, well last time I looked there was none.
    Last edited by sueworld; 11-07-11 at 11:07 AM.

  8. #48
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sueworld View Post
    Yes I was wondering that. Also when it comes to



    Once again I do hope you're just speaking for yourself there for as an atheist I feel that I have plenty. The idea a person can be seen as less for not believing in some kind of god comes across to me as silly as the idea that somehow someone's morally bankrupt if they don't worship the Tooth Fairy, because when it comes to of any kind of evidence to back up their claims that this deity actually exists, well last time I looked there was none.
    Oh Sue...if you would only give it a try, step out in faith, it would change your life. I don't understand what you are saying about being seen as far less for not believing...I never even implied such a thing. What I actually said was that ALL of us fall short and can't get to heaven on our own. Not the greatest most compassionate, caring, generous, saintly person has what it takes to get there so in that way, we are ALL in the same boat. The ONLY reason that I am better off than you is that I accept the gift of Jesus who already did all the work to save me, just like he's already done all the work required to save you.

    Give it a try yourself Sue and I promise you, not only will your life change in a positive way but you will have all the evidence that you can stand. It is amazing! In a good way!

    Godless nations are nations that worship false Gods and not ours. Places where folks worship anything and everything but God. Snakes, rats, cows, voodoo, etc....

    Before anyone goes off the deep end, I AM NOT saying that God curses those places, what happens is that those places do not have the protection of God because they don't believe and ask for protection. When you know that there is a God, you also recognize that there is an enemy to God who wants to destroy the things that God loves. Mainly us.

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    6,996
    Thanks
    1,733
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 601 Posts

    Default

    Oh Sue...if you would only give it a try, step out in faith, it would change your life.
    Given the examples cited on here for the worse by the sounds of it. All it would bring into my life is the excuse to hate those who are different from me, and I feel that there's enough of that stupidity going around as it is without me adding to it.

    Godless nations are nations that worship false Gods and not ours. Places where folks worship anything and everything but God. Snakes, rats, cows, voodoo, etc....
    Oh good grief...

    When you know that there is a God, you also recognize that there is an enemy to God who wants to destroy the things that God loves. Mainly us.
    But for me I don't believe in a god, nor do I believe in any kind of Devil either in us or anywhere else for that matter. Personally I find them to be antiquated concepts invented at a time when civilizations need something to help comprehend a world that they didn't fully understand and had no control over.

  10. #50
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Again with the odd notions. Hate? Where do you get the idea that following God brings hate into a situation?

    Our example is to be Jesus Christ and Jesus spent his time feeding the hungry, healing the sick and blessing the sinners. Jesus is about as anti-hate as one could get. There was actually only one group of people, in the Bible, that Jesus became angry with and it wasn't the group who beat him, spit on him and finally killed him but the Pharisee's. The "religious" holier than thou, judgemental and hateful spirited folks who claimed to keep God's law.

    If we take Jesus and his reaction to those types of people, it becomes apparent that while people like that claim to be "people of God" they aren't being honest with themselves. The main message in the Bible is to love and love is defined in the following way:

    "Love is patient, love is kind.
    It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
    It is not rude, it is not self-seeking.
    It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
    Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
    It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

  11. #51
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    1,842
    Thanked 3,009 Times in 989 Posts

    Default

    I do believe that faith and religion can bring people comfort, and if it does I'm really glad for them. I think theology is facinating, I think religion inspirated artists to make beautiful things (paintings, music, statues, religious houses) and it certainly made some people better people.

    But Cheryl I think your answer on my question is one of the worst answers you could give. It's pretty much the same as "my God/religion > another religion/God". And that's my major problem with -most- conservative religious people, there is very little respect for other religions. It's not a coincidence that many xenophobes are religious people.

    You clearly have trouble with Hinduism (at least that's what I understand from your 'cow' remark) and you condemn a whole nation (India by example) for it. Not only is it simply wrong; why is India worse than other countries? But it's also really narrowminded to call them Godless nations and use them as some nightmare example.

  12. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    6,996
    Thanks
    1,733
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 601 Posts

    Default

    Again with the odd notions. Hate? Where do you get the idea that following God brings hate into a situation?
    Oh I dunno, can we say 'the Crusades'? I mean If I know my history there's been the more wars citing religious differences as their basis then anything else hasn't there?

    Imo religious cults to this day have had the ability to stir up huge problems between peoples and have been used to persecute large sections of society since organized religion began.

  13. #53
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I do believe that faith and religion can bring people comfort, and if it does I'm really glad for them. I think theology is facinating, I think religion inspirated artists to make beautiful things (paintings, music, statues, religious houses) and it certainly made some people better people.

    But Cheryl I think your answer on my question is one of the worst answers you could give. It's pretty much the same as "my God/religion > another religion/God". And that's my major problem with -most- conservative religious people, there is very little respect for other religions. It's not a coincidence that many xenophobes are religious people.

    You clearly have trouble with Hinduism (at least that's what I understand from your 'cow' remark) and you condemn a whole nation (India by example) for it. Not only is it simply wrong; why is India worse than other countries? But it's also really narrowminded to call them Godless nations and use them as some nightmare example.
    But I wasn't trying to give you "the best answer" to the question, what I gave you was the true answer to the question concerning what I was referencing with Godless nations.

    It's also worth noticing that while you have problems with " most conservative religious people- and go on to call me narrowminded, based soley on what you think I believe based on a few words, my pov does the exact opposite of yours. I do not dislike or have a problem with any group of people based on their religion or what I consider to be a dose of narrowmindedness.

    You claim that I have condemned someone? How did I do that? What I did was mention the obvious differences in the Godless nations, opposed to my nation in which the country was founded on God. I don't think that is unreasonable, judgemental or condemning. It is simply an observation that I made and shared with you to try to explain my pov.

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

  14. #54
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    1,842
    Thanked 3,009 Times in 989 Posts

    Default

    I'm sorry but I think this did sound very condemning.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl4ba View Post
    Without God we have nothing. Look to the Godless nation for all the proof that you would ever need.
    &
    Godless nations are nations that worship false Gods and not ours. Places where folks worship anything and everything but God. Snakes, rats, cows, voodoo, etc....

    When you know that there is a God, you also recognize that there is an enemy to God who wants to destroy the things that God loves. Mainly us.
    Doesn't sound really positive towards the people who think/believe differently from you, does it? And it's clearly your opinion, whch is not my problem. Like I pointed out... it's a badly argumented one, and that's where the issue lays.
    which brings me on your other point;

    About my own narrowmindedness; you're right I'm not the most tolerant person on earth. But let me make this clear; I don't judge or direspect anyone because of their religion, sexuality, skin color or political choice. So my problem is not with conservative Christians, or gays, or muslims, or extreme right wingers or asian people. I can respect people who disagree with me, even if it's a very sensitive subject. But I'm narrowminded in the sense that I often can't tolerate people who say blunt and often hurtful things without any kind of argument.

    So let's go back to the original argument;

    You pretty much say that America would be nothing without God, and as proof you come up with your so called 'Godless nations'. But nowhere you explain why America is better than Nepal, why Sudan is better than India and why Indonesia is better than Japan. Don't you think it's important to give at least three reasons why countries where the most people have a non-Abrahamic religion are such a nightmare for you? Or maybe a more positive view; why is a Christian country better? What's the real diference between the countries?

    And when is a God false?

  15. #55
    Slayer zianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,274
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    why is a Christian country better? What's the real diference between the countries?
    What annoys me in these kind of conversations is that we usually compare what happens today forgetting how things were not just centuries ago, but even years ago.
    I remember that women weren't equal to men up until some years ago in christian countries.
    I remember that children were mistreated and abused and judged and obliged to work and even put to trials like grown ups up until some years ago in christian countries.
    I remember wars made in the name of Jesus against unfaithful countries up until a few centuries ago in christian countries.
    I remember slavery and people treated like animals up until some years ago in christian countries.
    I remember a christian nation starting not once, but twice a WW that cost millions of people to die and treated Jewish like garbage not even a century ago.
    I remember a Godless nation that has had a civilisation for thousands of years (China) while in the Dark Ages thousands of innocent people were killed in the name of Jesus Christ.

    And then I hear people judging exactly the same things that we see happening in countries that the population has a different religion, forgetting that those were EXACTLY the same things and every day life that Godfull nations had up until some years ago.

  16. #56
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I'm sorry but I think this did sound very condemning.



    &


    Doesn't sound really positive towards the people who think/believe differently from you, does it? And it's clearly your opinion, whch is not my problem. Like I pointed out... it's a badly argumented one, and that's where the issue lays.
    which brings me on your other point;

    About my own narrowmindedness; you're right I'm not the most tolerant person on earth. But let me make this clear; I don't judge or direspect anyone because of their religion, sexuality, skin color or political choice. So my problem is not with conservative Christians, or gays, or muslims, or extreme right wingers or asian people. I can respect people who disagree with me, even if it's a very sensitive subject. But I'm narrowminded in the sense that I often can't tolerate people who say blunt and often hurtful things without any kind of argument.

    So let's go back to the original argument;

    You pretty much say that America would be nothing without God, and as proof you come up with your so called 'Godless nations'. But nowhere you explain why America is better than Nepal, why Sudan is better than India and why Indonesia is better than Japan. Don't you think it's important to give at least three reasons why countries where the most people have a non-Abrahamic religion are such a nightmare for you? Or maybe a more positive view; why is a Christian country better? What's the real diference between the countries?

    And when is a God false?
    Sensing the underlying hostility in your tone, I want to pull the agree to disagree card right out of the gate and whether or not you intend to come across this way? I don't know.

    I think it would be great if you didn't try to hurt or offend people with thoughtless words. I agree with this way of thinking.

    A God is false when it isn't real. Godless nations don't have the protection and blessing from God because they don't ask for it. To receive you must accept. Lots and lots of missionary organizations are trying to take The Word to those nations and offer hope and help, where it will be accepted.

    Do I think it's important to give three reasons as to .... Not really. What I think is the most important, during conversations such as these, is to remain as honest as I can about what I personally know, while trying very hard not to offend others with those thoughts. I don't have, nor do I think you should have, a formula to discuss God. God will prevail without any world inspired formulated workings from me, imo.

    While you believe that I am being disrespectful to those who worship cows, as I shared an opinion with you, unless you are a person who doesn't ever eat a hamburger, steak, roast or maybe taco's...I think that's a very hypocritical stance to take about me, when your own actions might indicate that you, yourself, aren't behaving all that respectfully towards people who worship cows. If you don't eat beef, this won't apply but you see where I am coming from. It's way easier to cry fowl and find fault with someone than to notice our own actions. I am just as guilty of this as the next person.

    About not sounding very positive towards the folks who don't believe? Well that's the great news that I am attempting to share. Anyone and everyone can get it on this wonderful gift. I wish nothing but the best for all these people and hope they too find the blessing of The Lord. I don't know how that can be found as negative but if you find it that way, o.k.

    Concerning tolerance? I find myself to be a lot more tolerant than I ever was before. I realize that people will come to grips with what they believe, how they believe, the way that they think and any great number of things in a different way maybe than I will. Not everyone goes about conversing in the same way and just like I mentioned before, I don't think this topic needs a numbered set of rules, not that I think any subject requires such a thing. If we were in Rhetoric or Philosophy, sure. In this laid back for entertainment purposes atmosphere? Not so much. But that's just me. Obviously you find some comfort in the former.

    I hope that helped to define my pov rather than create a further gap.

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

  17. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    6,996
    Thanks
    1,733
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 601 Posts

    Default

    A God is false when it isn't real.
    Has it ever occurred to you that none of them may be real? And even If they were how do you know the 'invisible friend' that you've chosen is the right one?

  18. #58
    Rule #7 Lyri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1,618
    Thanks
    2,123
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 571 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl4ba View Post
    A God is false when it isn't real. Godless nations don't have the protection and blessing from God because they don't ask for it. To receive you must accept.
    They have their own religion. They have their own God/s that they pray to. You cannot ask or expect that every nation in the world has the same religion. It is not how the world works.

    To you, they are praying to a false God, but to them, in those so-called 'Godless nations', YOU are praying to a false God.

    Godless nations are nations that worship false Gods and not ours.
    Yes, not YOURS. That is the key point here. You cannot force your beliefs onto someone else and demand that they believe as you do, and right now, that is how your posts are coming across to me. I have no idea if this is your intent, Cheryl, but this is how I'm feeling right now. You're looking down on those of us who admit to being Atheist or have another religion, and quite frankly, I find that very upsetting.
    Para Bellum

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  19. #59
    Scooby Gang
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    672
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I think the purpose of education--training is a different matter--lies in the transmission of an entire culture from one generation to the next. The Christian tradition--or traditions--are central to the culture and history of Europe.

    You cannot begin to understand the history, literature, painting, music, architecture, and much of the philosophy of Europe--not forgetting the wars--without a grasp of Christianity.

    Moreover the religion can only be understood from the inside, from the writings and struggles, failures and achievements, of real Christians from ancient times up to the present. You cannot understand a religion without experiencing it any more than you can understand music without listening to it. Which means it should be taught by Christians --not by members of the "comparative religion" brigade with their ludicrous airs and graces. In our open societies there is no danger of brainwashing.

  20. #60
    Slayer cheryl4ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    They have their own religion. They have their own God/s that they pray to. You cannot ask or expect that every nation in the world has the same religion. It is not how the world works.

    To you, they are praying to a false God, but to them, in those so-called 'Godless nations', YOU are praying to a false God.



    Yes, not YOURS. That is the key point here. You cannot force your beliefs onto someone else and demand that they believe as you do, and right now, that is how your posts are coming across to me. I have no idea if this is your intent, Cheryl, but this is how I'm feeling right now. You're looking down on those of us who admit to being Atheist or have another religion, and quite frankly, I find that very upsetting.
    Again, I really don't look down on anyone and know straight up that I can't force an opinion on you or anyone else. This was one of the key points that I tried to get across, which is that it's a free gift and something that everyone has to accept on their own.

    I honestly don't know what I said that makes you think that I am looking down on someone, it couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, the only saving grace that I, myself have, is wrapped up in the fact that I accepted the free gift. I don't feel as if I have anymore "right" than anyone else to receive this gift and have come to grips with the way the world views what's right and wrong isn't the drum I am supposed to march to now. Simply meaning that by the world's standard, some people can be "better, more important, smarter, richer, etc..." but in the body of Christ, we are all the same. Sinners saved by Grace.

    I have a question for you, if you don't mind? Since you have alluded to the fact that you are a non believing atheist, and apparently have had no experience with God on a first hand basis, how can you so easily discount the testimony of someone who tells you that they HAVE had something supernatural happen in their life? Why is the first emotion offense, where none is intended, rather than curiosity?

    I don't know how much more clear that I can make this but I will try again. My desire for every single person out there is that they come to Jesus Christ and accept the gift of salvation that he offers. I have nothing but good wishes for everyone in this regard. I do not feel more entitled than those who are atheist or from another religion. I do not feel compelled to try to "prove" my pov but rather to share the good news and let Jesus do the rest, if you are a willing and accepting participant.

    I also agree with the last poster who alluded the fact that it is nearly impossible to "explain" the experience to someone who has never experienced it and that isn't what I have tried to do. One of my few jobs as a believer is to share the good news with those who haven't heard or don't know. That's really what my intention is, whether I did a good job of that or not.

    Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •