View Poll Results: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

108 92.31%
  • No

5 4.27%
  • Don't care

4 3.42%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage - Yes or No?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 2,040 Posts

Default Gay Marriage - Yes or No?

Hey

In Australia recently there has been a great deal of debate about gay marriage and whether or not it should be legalised. Most polls indicate that the majority of Australians support Gay Marriage but both our PM (Julia Gillard) and Opposition Leader (Tony Abbott) are against it. I was hoping to do a poll here and maybe see how many people support it and how many people don’t?

Those who choose to vote in the poll will remain anonymous but feel free to say what you voted for in the comment section if you like

Vamps
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

Thanks

I always get beat up for this but...no.

Only because I believe that marrige has been instituted by God, and that He stated that it be between a man and a woman.

Banned
    Thanks

Basically the church stated that, not god, if there is a god....

And the only reason that the church is against homosexuality, is because there can be no pregnancy, so the church cannot increase its power by adding new members. (Also the reason why people get baptized when they are babies and not grown ups, when most of them would have a different opinion about it....)

I voted "don't care", since i am against marriage generally.

Slayer
    Thanks

I respect some of the values the Bible has taught us, it certainly contributed to society today. However keep in mind, it also led to the slaughtering of thousands of people in the past and singled out a group people and other things as wrong. I do believe in God, but not the bible's god. That was the word and practice of some men who wanted control, they created it really. I don't believe that God is found in a book, but within yourself and love and family. Being who you are and living the life you want shouldn't be influenced or ruined by the rules he supposedly made.

It's not God's fault or his problem people say no to this. It's our species. We've been conditioned to fear change and when we don't understand it, exile it or harass it. The thing is, LGBQT people have been around as long as the rest of us. They're not some disease that came up over night.

So I completely support this. These people are born this way, and to love someone and be denied the opportunity to get married is foolish and wrong IMO. If God only wanted marriage between man and woman, then why did he create these people the way he did? That's a pretty darn big error. Not allowing this is extremely discriminatory and just needs to end.
    Last edited by CaptainOats; 01-12-10 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks

Well, I believe that the Bible is God's word, and therefore I believe what it says, including Genesis 2:22-24(emphasis on the "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become on flesh.") not to mention multiple other versus refering to marrige between a man and a woman in the Bible.

I know most of you believe that the Bible is just a bunch of made-up gibberish by some piggish guys way back when, and that is your opinion. But I believe otherwise. Luckily, it cannot be currently proven either way, so I may believe whatever I wish!

This is such a controverisal topic, and I understand why my opinion is so offensive to so many, but I won't apologise for it.

CaptainOats - I certainly won't disagree that man has completely misused what is written in the Bible to serve their own ends. Much the same way Muslims claim that the same thing has been done with the Koran.
    Last edited by BloodyHell; 01-12-10 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks

If you want marriage to be a godly thing then everything involved in legal aspects of things shouldn't apply.

It does however - and so yeah I agree with the idea of gay marriage or at least they should make it just as easy for a gay couple to get these kind of legal and financial connections.

For me marriage isn't seen as a religious thing for many people, just a personal thing as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHell View Post
    Only because I believe that marrige has been instituted by God, and that He stated that it be between a man and a woman.
    The problem I have with this is that heterosexuals are still free to get married regardless of whether they include "God" into their ceremonies or not. For example, a man and a woman can choose to have their wedding on a beach and may not include a minister of the church but it’s still legally classified as a “marriage.” So it really can be a totally separate issue from religion because heterosexuals don't have to be religious whatsoever and, yet, they still have the basic right to get married whereas homosexuals (in most countries) do not. Isn’t that hypocritical? Not to mention that marriage was around long before Christianity anyway...

Lets face it, it's pretty sad when two drunken idiots can go and get themselves married in Vegas for a "laugh" but two homosexual people who love each other cannot. It doesn’t matter if they’ve been in a relationship for 5, 10, 15 years... they’re not allowed the same basic rights as any drunk just because they are gay. I think there’s something fundamentally wrong about that, don't you?
    Last edited by vampmogs; 01-12-10 at 08:29 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

Thanks

It shouldn't even be a debate, equality in this day and age should be everyone's right not something to fight for.

Marriage for most people has nothing to do with the church or God. I am married. I did not marry in a church, the ceremony was not conducted by a member of the Church. I am not religious. Yet I had the right to marry. So should gay couples. If the church doesn't want to marry them, they don't have to. Let celebrants. It concerns no one else but the two people wanting to get married. The rest of us have that right and so should they. And they will one day, that is inevitable. The shame is how long it is taking to get there.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,843 Posts

I hope that all the people who are against gay marriage because Bible doesn't condone homosexuality are also strongly against masturbation, and have never masturbated in their lives. Because, you know, Bible is strongly against that, too.

On the other hand, you know what Bible isn't against, or at least the Old Testament isn't? Daughters getting their father drunk so they could f*ck him and get pregnant, to continue the family line. Men letting their daughters and sisters get gang raped so some men wouldn't get raped instead (apparently, it's less bad when it's a woman being raped; that's "normal"). Being ready to kill a child - your child, actually - if God orders you to. A genocidal slaughter of firstborn children. Wiping out of entire cities. Wiping out the entire world, except for one guy and his family, because you hasn't disappointed you like the rest of them. These are some of the lovely stories you'll find in the Old Testament, so if that's what you want to use as a standard for justice and legal system in the 21st century... may God help you (hopefully not the Old Testament God).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I agree with most here. I support gay marriage 100%. There is absolutely no debate here IMO. I don't believe the Bible was written by God, it is obviously very out of date as TimeTravellingBunny just said. If you don't follow some of the Bible (like stoning people who commit adultery) then I don't know why you can't see which parts of the Bible are offensive or out of date. But I also agree that marriage has little to do with the Church. It is a legal thing and I thought our government was founded on the separation between church and state. Therefore, they should be separate and not have the views of the Church influence how we conduct legal issues, especially when it involves discrimination.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

I will not jump down your throat, BloodyHell, as I hate to debate and believe everyone has a right to their own opinion. In this instance, however, I do think this a good example of where the separation of church and state should be applied. Most of the dissension on this topic is rooted in people's religious beliefs. Of course, one cannot demand that anyone abandon such beliefs, or ignore them. But I also think it important that we all regard each other as human beings who all have the right to love. Marriage as a legal act should be allowed to all. The church(es) has its own right to deny recognizing the marriage in eyes of God and his law. But for the government to deny this is wrong, I think. Marriage presents a couple with certain rights. If one person falls ill, for example, then what? Their partner is not even allowed to see them on their deathbed because it is immediate family only? And while many hospitals may allow for visitation, they would also have the right to turn them away. This is just one of many injustices, I think.

Bottom line, I don't believe this is about God so much as it is about decent human responses. But I guess that is easy for me to say since I am not affiliated with any church. Makes things easier, I guess. I don't feel obligated to adhere to a certain set of guidelines and rules. I believe in being a good and kind person. That's the most important thing in this world, if you ask me. And I believe that any God will appreciate that about me.

Anyway, felt compelled to respond because the Senate in my State today just passed a civil union bill and it is likely the Governor will sign off. SO this is great news!

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 990 Posts

I'll for always wonder why some people think they have the right to tell others that they can't have the same right as you have. It's like telling a colored person he is not allowed to sit in the same bus as you... we passed that stage didn't we? I guess we don't since a lot of countries still don't except same-sex marriages, which is something to be ashamed about.

I don't really like using religion as a reason to be against it, because it's nothing but your interpretation of the religion you force upon others to take away a bit of their freedom. The freedom to marry the person you love is not a matter of religion, it's about the law.

Besides I'm also raised with the bible (my father is my minister, so I couldn't escape the church) and never in my whole life somebody related to that church learned me that marriage was only for straight people. Actually we had several gay marriages in our church. There are so many things described in the Bible we no longer do or even accept, why pick out this one rule and use it? Why putting a line written down centuries ago above the laws and rights of people? The main thing my father always learned me was critical thinking, which certainly also has a place in church. So even if you want to use religion as an argument, it's not a very good one.
    Last edited by Nina; 01-12-10 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    Anyway, felt compelled to respond because the Senate in my State today just passed a civil union bill and it is likely the Governor will sign off. SO this is great news!
    Yay!

I think it's inevitable that Australia will do something similar soon. Most politicians are admitting that it's not really a case of "if" we will allow gay marriage anymore, but rather "when." Itís really sad that it has taken this long but better late than never, I guess

Thanks

I don't read nor do I understand the bible and I don't believe in God. However, I respect and admire those who do. Considering I believe everyone has a right to marry and would actually be a bit hypocritical if I said otherwise, I chose YES. This doesn't just come from the fact that I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for over two years, but I also have many friends who are a part of the LGBT community. I'm going to also follow Nina and say that telling someone they don't have a right to marry when there were people who actually fought FOR those rights and our freedom isn't the way to go, at least not for me. Again, like Nina said we passed that whole situation up a long time ago, so why bring it up again?

I support all types of marriage, be they legal, civil union, etc. and I don't dare bring religion into it. Marriage isn't for me anyway, but kudos to those who go through with it

Thanks

Hmm...maybe I should word my "stand" differently. I do not think that any church or pastor/minister/etc. should be pressured to perform gay marriages. And I do not think there should be any hate or violence shown against Christians - or any other religion - that does not condone gay marriage. Both are happening.

HOWEVER. I think the state can do whatever it wants as far a civil unions, legally binding blah blah blah. Aside from refusing to do something sinful personally, I don't think it says anywhere in the Bible that as a Christian I should do more than nonviolently resist something that the law decides is fair/right/acceptable. I just feel a change coming in society, and I hope that the state will protect peoples right to their faith and beliefs, as much as they are trying to protect gays rights to everything straight couples have.

TimeTravellingBunny - though this isn't the right place for this debate, I do want to point out that many of the atrocities commited in the OT were simply events that were recorded, not acts that were meant to be viewed as just or righteous.(in regards to the drunk father/incest, rape etc.)
    Last edited by BloodyHell; 02-12-10 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks

I just feel a change coming in society, and I hope that the state will protect peoples right to their faith and beliefs, as much as they are trying to protect gays rights to everything straight couples have.
    Before I actually get into this, I just want to make sure that I am reading this right. You're worried that once gays are able to get married, they will destroy the sanctity of religion? And you want that protected?

Is that what you are saying?
    Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndersWrath View Post
    Is that what you are saying?
    I'm saying that violence against Christians is becoming far more common (because of our beliefs.) Which is no less wrong than violence against gays. But violence against Christians is rarely publicised. And while I strongly oppose violence against anyone (excluding war), I hope that while rallying to gay/lesbians cause, we don't create a new monster of "hey, those Christians oppose gay marriage...GET 'EM!" As I said, there has been talk of trying to force religious leaders to perform gay marriages. And if we are going to say that the marriage of 2 gays has nothing to do with religion, then that needs to stop. As does the spray-painting of churches etc.

So I'm trying to make a distinction between marriages ordained by a church leader, and marriages by the state.
    Last edited by BloodyHell; 02-12-10 at 12:08 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Where do you see violence against christians?
    On the contrary i would say....

Thanks

I do not think that any church or pastor/minister/etc. should be pressured to perform gay marriages.
    I don't think most people are really asking for that. All gay people want is to be able to say "this is the man/woman I love and we're getting married" and for the state to recognise that. They just want the same basic rights as every other human being on this earth.

And I do not think there should be any hate or violence shown against Christians - or any other religion - that does not condone gay marriage. Both are happening.
    The problem is that many people (myself included) consider homophobia just a repugnant as racism or sexism. The only difference is that when it comes to homophobia people hide behind their religion and ask not to be judged for holding their bigoted views. I don’t accept that and I think the sooner society stands up and says “This is not acceptable” (like they have with racism, though it’s still prevalent) the better off we’ll be. I get that religion has a lot of positive qualities but in this case it does promote intolerance and it doesn’t treat everybody as equals and I can’t abide by that and say I respect people’s right to feel that way. I don’t. I think it's wrong and I think what you're sensing is society shifting (like it did when it allowed women to vote or abolished slavery) and I think that this is a really positive thing.

HOWEVER. I think the state can do whatever it wants as far a civil unions, legally binding blah blah blah.
    Would you be ok with them calling it "marriage?"
    Last edited by vampmogs; 02-12-10 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    The problem is that many people (myself included) consider homophobia just a repugnant as racism or sexism.
    I'm made this clear on other threads - and I can only speak for myself - but there is no "homophobia" in me. I have no fear or hatred of homosexuals at all. And I've also stated that I have a few homosexual friends. Obviously we don't see eye-to-eye on everything. But that doesn't mean I can't care about them as people, and visa versa.

Would you be ok with them calling it "marriage?"
    I thought the word "marriage" is religious in itself. What rights are given to married couples vs. civil partnerships? (I'm actually curious, I'm not being challenging) To me, "marriage" carries some religious aspects to it. Am I opposed to gays having the same rights as straight couples? No. But I am VERY afraid of this happening: "This fall, some pastors in Nova Scotia and Manitoba handed in their licenses as marriage registrars after local courts ruled these registrars cannot turn away same-sex couples." (taken from Centre for Faith and the Media). I mean, what?! Even though this is against their relgious beliefs, they cannot turn homosexuals away? This is wrong. So I'm afraid of a slippery slope: gay marriage becomes law, eventually pastors/ministers/priests are expected to perform the ceremony, or at the very least, be expected to turn over their church for the ceremony.

As for violence against Christians - we get bulletins in our church about persecution of Christians going on in different places of the world(as people we should be praying for.) Violence and murder has been on the rise in a major way in other parts of the world for years. But in the last few years there have been cases popping up in the US and Canada as well. Not too much actual physical violence yet (some...but it is still rare, like a pastor who was murdered in the States a couple of years ago for his beliefs, some open fire during church services), but lots of threats, graffiti and fines. For example, after the passage of proposition 8 in some US states (hmm..Flordia, California, and one other one, can't remember), there were threats made on various gay blogs towards "religious fundamentalists", as well as calling for church burning. I admit that it is no where near the level of some racist descrimination and anti-homosexual violence going on in some places. But it is on the rise. Being fined for admiting what we believe is very commonplace in Canada.