Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Doctor Who

Thanks

I'm now halfway through Capaldi's era. I know change is such an integral part of DW...I am just not a person that enjoys change! I get so attached! That said, I know that change is so critical to DW surviving all these years as a show. It must be allowed to change.

I did eventually grow to appreciate Ten. I wasn't sad to see him go, though...not like I was with Nine. I ended up not liking Rose much in series 2. She seemed really different to Rose in series 1, and I didn't like her chemistry with David. I actually thought it was better with Chris, but I seem to be in the minority, there. There are many episodes of David's that I loved, character moments that I loved, etc., but I really hated how much Ten didn't want to go. I found it to be VERY unflattering to the Doctor. It made him look so much less, somehow, to the previous Doctors who faced their regeneration with more courage.

I loved Eleven. Loved him. I was frustrated with the writing, though, basically the further on in Eleven's run we went. I treasured series 5, struggled through parts of series 6, and started to lose interest in series 7. But overall, I always treasured Matt Smith's Doctor, the way he could play such an immature, childish character, and yet be believable as an old, old man in a young man's body. I loved his ease around children. I know many didn't like this aspect of his character, but I loved how attached he got to his humans. He was such a sentimental character. Anyway. I really miss him, despite all the missteps story wise. I cried when he left, and again when he phoned Clara in 8x01.

I'm having a hard time with Capaldi's Doctor. I find him to be fairly "fun" to watch. But I miss Eleven's gentleness and tender heart. I often felt uplifted and happy after watching Eleven, and Twelve doesn't give me those warm and fuzzy feelings. I hope by the end of his run, he'll have grown on me like the other Doctors did (even Ten).

Once I catch up to the newest episodes, I plan to go back and watch Classic Who. I really love this show, even when I'm confused, lol. I love the sense of adventure and awe, the sense of morality, the optimism about human potential, etc. At its best, for me, it gives me similar happy feelings to the way I feel watching BtVS...which is a rare thing.
    Last edited by BloodyHell; 24-04-16 at 10:26 PM.
    I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Thanks
    Thanked 4,308 Times in 2,149 Posts

Anyone seen the Christmas special? What did everyone think? I have loved Capaldi as the Doctor so am sad to see him go, but I am incredibly excited to see where the new Doctor will take the show. Opening her reign as the Doctor with the Tardis crashing could be seen as a misogynist comment on women's driving, but I'll let it pass for now.

The Christmas story was very seasonal, encompassing the singing of Christmas songs in the trenches of the First World War, which I thought was quite moving. Loved the First Doctor, and seeing the old companions. When the First was told 'you can see her, I fully expected Susan to walk out and was a little disappointed it was Bill. Knew straight away Gatiss was going to be a Lethbridge Stewart, and thought that was a nice touch.

Overall I really enjoyed the episode and although I'll miss Capaldi, I am looking forward to seeing what Whittaker will do

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (31-12-17),PuckRobin (31-12-17)

Thanks

I really liked it as well. Even more so when I saw it in the cinema. No commercials and a crowd's reactions made it that much better.

I found the crashing ending both fun and troubling. In a way, it's like the new showrunner Chris Chibnall is taunting outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat. "You thought you had a funny and dramatic opening with the TARDIS crashing? Well, watch this!" But the optics are bad. It could be seen as the TARDIS is rejecting the new female Doctor.

I would have liked to have seen Susan appear to. Peter Capaldi gave an in-character emotional speech about not having gone back to see her when he spoke to kids at the Doctor Who Experience. I'd have thought that her return would be on Capaldi's bucket list.

But I was also delighted to see Bill return. Pearl Mackie owns that part, and she's one of the best companions ever.

I liked David Bradley as the first Doctor, but again it's problematic. I certainly get the meta-commentary of portraying the first Doctor as extremely sexist and holding 1960s attitudes. But the Doctor isn't a human from the 1960s, he's an alien from an advanced civilization where people can switch genders easily. Actor William Hartnell may have had old-fashioned attitudes. The people running the show may have been sexist (although not surely Doctor Who's first producer Verity Lambert -- a pioneer for women in TV). But the Doctor shouldn't be.

It works partly because they have Bill there. I like her "Me too" retort to the First Doctor saying he has experience with "the fairer sexist", or how she treats the "smacked bottom" comment with a sense of absurdity.

Peter Capaldi really hit his stride this year. He's going out on a high. But I'm also looking forward to Jodie Whittaker.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PuckRobin For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (02-01-18),Priceless (02-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PuckRobin View Post
    I really liked it as well. Even more so when I saw it in the cinema. No commercials and a crowd's reactions made it that much better.

I found the crashing ending both fun and troubling. In a way, it's like the new showrunner Chris Chibnall is taunting outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat. "You thought you had a funny and dramatic opening with the TARDIS crashing? Well, watch this!" But the optics are bad. It could be seen as the TARDIS is rejecting the new female Doctor.

I would have liked to have seen Susan appear to. Peter Capaldi gave an in-character emotional speech about not having gone back to see her when he spoke to kids at the Doctor Who Experience. I'd have thought that her return would be on Capaldi's bucket list.

But I was also delighted to see Bill return. Pearl Mackie owns that part, and she's one of the best companions ever.

I liked David Bradley as the first Doctor, but again it's problematic. I certainly get the meta-commentary of portraying the first Doctor as extremely sexist and holding 1960s attitudes. But the Doctor isn't a human from the 1960s, he's an alien from an advanced civilization where people can switch genders easily. Actor William Hartnell may have had old-fashioned attitudes. The people running the show may have been sexist (although not surely Doctor Who's first producer Verity Lambert -- a pioneer for women in TV). But the Doctor shouldn't be.

It works partly because they have Bill there. I like her "Me too" retort to the First Doctor saying he has experience with "the fairer sexist", or how she treats the "smacked bottom" comment with a sense of absurdity.

Peter Capaldi really hit his stride this year. He's going out on a high. But I'm also looking forward to Jodie Whittaker.
    How did you get to see it in the cinema? That must have been a lot of fun.

I hope Chibnall didn't mean to make is seem that the Tardis was rejecting the new doctor, but that's a very interesting idea and one I hadn't thought of. But it is very early in the run and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I see where they are going with the story. I would hope some of Chibnall's associates would have raised this issue with him prior to filming, so hopefully the explanation won't focus on the Doctors change of sex.

I liked Bill, but I didn't love her. I know Clara wasn't popular, but I much preferred her to Bill. I agree that it was a little anachronistic, but it did fit with who the Doctor was in the 1960's and how he was written back then.

Thanks

Since Day of the Doctor, a lot of the Doctor Who event stories have one or two day cinema runs. They also included two making-of documentaries to pad out the length. But it lacked the fun cinema-only opening comedy routines of Day of The Doctor and Deep Breath.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiiyf5r-WX4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMEo10UAcvM

I did like Clara's cameo in the Christmas Special.It was a nice little moment. (And apparently tough to get Jenna Coleman for even a short time due to her busy schedule.)

Thinking about, the quirks of the individual visiting Doctors are always magnified for the multi-Doctor stories. The First Doctor becomes grumpier than usual, because he's the grumpy one. The Second Doctor becomes more clownish, etc. So this more-sexist-than-he-was-in-the-1960s depiction is in keeping with that. (I think the First Doctor had a very high opinion of one of his first companions, Barbara. She was smart and capable like the modern companions.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PuckRobin For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-01-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the links PuckRobin, they were great

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

PuckRobin (04-01-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 669 Posts

I thought the special was okay, but irritated the hell outta me that they wrote the first Doctor in such a misleading way. He really wasn't that sexist even back then. Thats Moffat trying to tear down the past to me the future look better as per.

I will miss Peter a great deal. I adored his Doctor and though he was served very badly by poor scripts and the BBC deciding to turf him out before his time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I will miss Peter a great deal. I adored his Doctor and though he was served very badly by poor scripts and the BBC deciding to turf him out before his time.
    Capaldi was a great doctor, and I think history will show that. I loved his performance and I loved the fact that he was a true Doctor Who fan, who'd loved the show prior to getting the role.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,688 Posts

I'm sort of late into the Doctor Who thing in general -- thank BBCA for running reruns reliably in the AM that I turned to when I finally couldn't even tolerate Charmed as background noise -- but I'm honestly a little unclear why they recast so often. For one, it actually makes the Doctor's longevity seem a little implausible -- he's hundreds upon hundreds of years old, on paper only had the 12 lives until he got a one-up later. But it's like he goes on a very rotten run of bad luck and has to regenerate once every few years of late? But also, since the fans react to each regeneration like they are losing a loved one, what's the rush? I know it's not always that the actor has gone on to bigger or better things, right? In the modern cycle, have any of them left because they were just kinda done with it themselves? Eccleston maybe? Will we be right here doing this again in 2020 with YouTube reactors sobbing as Jodie Whittaker gives her speech about proper Doctoring, and if so, why would it be for any other reason other than she had another job or the showrunner thought it had gone poorly (out of story ideas, poor ratings, what have you)?

Banner by LRae12

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 669 Posts

Well going by my friend who has insider knowledge in this case poor old Capaldi was asked to leave. Partly because incoming show runner Chibnal wanted a new broom sweeps clean approach to the series and also because ratings had been dropping since he took over and (imo) unfairly put that on him being 'an old man' rather then the writing being pretty poor.

I suspected this was the case, but got really quite angry when I had my suspicions confirmed. Capaldi is a great little actor and I feel his doctor was poorly served.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,688 Posts

I could take him or leave him (capaldi). Of course, there is a lot about the Doctor that is a tough sell for me*. I do think he was the right Doctor for wrapping up River Song's story in that lovely Christmas special. Him being more of an age with Ms. Kingston gave their last scenes more gravity. And his line reading on the "... there is a song" thing just wrecks me, because I hear an effort at an 'i love you' in that, some hint that the monolith can indeed. But overall I agree they didn't give him enough interesting to do.

Of the modern run, the sense I get is that only Eleven came about with any clear narrative flow and purpose and arc to play out. Two, even, since he's got most of the River Song stuff but mainly the mega-arc leading to Trenzalore. I think that hurt Twelve more than anything, because for Twelve I don't really think they went very serialized with it and as a result all his stories felt more ephemeral. To me, anyway. Eleven's seasons were heavily serialized to my viewing.

I think Tennant had the most natural charisma and range in the role, though. Both the Library two-parter and "Waters of Wars" are tour de force by him.

*So, he survives by wits and guile, runs from things, etc, talking his way out of trouble -- all that I get, it's all very Ford Prefect IMO. But he often, even largely, does this by trading on a reputation as this bad-ass who can one-handedly wreck all the fools... except it's implausible that he ever gained that reputation if his whole schtick is... running away and talking. It's a snake eating its own tail, character-design wise. I get the hint of his "road to Damascus" backstory, sure, but at no point do you get the sense that even during the Time War he was this Achilles, this Leonida, this Neo meets the Terminator meets John Wick badass to acquire the reputation. It sticks out to me literally every time an episode is resolving along the "don't you know who I am?" lines.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Just heard this about Doctor Who Season 11

Spoiler:
    Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper are both in the first episode of the new season. Just so weird that we were talking about Captain Jack in the fanfic section today

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 946 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Just heard this about Doctor Who Season 11

Spoiler:
    Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper are both in the first episode of the new season. Just so weird that we were talking about Captain Jack in the fanfic section today
    You were - I don't like him. Any mention of the other one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    You were - I don't like him. Any mention of the other one?
    Spoiler:
    Do you mean Bradley Walsh? Then yes, he's definitely in the show

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (15-07-18)