Thread: American Horror Story: Apocalypse

Thanks

Default American Horror Story: Apocalypse

Any AHS fans here? This season was basically Coven 2.0, the witches totally stole the show. I wanted to discuss the parallels between AHS and BTVS, especially since Cordelia referred to the Hotel Cortez as a "Hellmouth" in one episode. The witches on this show are all very strong and in tune with their feminine energies (where supposedly they draw upon their power according to AHS lore). I couldn't help but think that Tara and Willow would make excellent Supremes had they been in the AHS universe, or if a crossover event with Buffy ever happened. What does everyone else think? I thought people would like the parallels between AtS Jasmine and AHS Michael Langdon; both are/were apocalyptic sort of Antichrist sort of figures with similar yet different powers and followings - both meet an unfortunate end by supernatural characters (Jasmine >> Connor|Michael >> Mallory)
    Last edited by Dinza; 17-11-18 at 12:47 AM.
    325 posts to go til signature

Thanks
    Thanked 8,700 Times in 2,637 Posts

I loved this season!

It wasn't perfect (no AHS season is) but it's the most I've enjoyed the series in a really long time. I was pleasantly surprised by just how much the coven did feature as I expected them to only show up for 1-2 episodes (much like Murder House) so it was great that, as you say, the season was pretty much Coven 2.0. I also absolutely loved the return of Jessica Lange as Constance

I also caught the "Hellmouth" reference and that episode was actually written by Tim Minear so it's not surprising

One of my favourite things about this season is seeing a lot of the Coven characters blossom such as Cordelia and Madison. It was superb seeing Cordelia as the Supreme and it totally made me fall in love with her character (she was kind of a soppy mess in Coven until the last episode). And Madison's growth as a character, particularly at the Murder House, was fantastic to watch. I actually enjoyed a number of these Coven characters more in this season then I did in actual Coven. My favourite characters in Coven were Fiona and Marie who sadly didn't feature (much) but I was pleasantly surprised how much I grew to love the rest of the cast. They all really stepped up to the plate.

I also felt that this season was such a payoff to AHS overall. There were so many tie ins to previous seasons (Murder House, Coven, Hotel etc) and it was just superb seeing all the actors/actresses play their different characters throughout the years. There's really no other television series like it on TV and seeing the writers totally embrace it and have the actors pick up all their past roles was just so much fun, as well as even giving them new roles to play too. It'll be interesting to see how they could possibly top this season, though. Unless all the remaining seasons are going to be heavily connected now I feel that fans are going to inevitably be disappointed if next season is a departure from that again.

There were a few things about the season I disliked. Episode 8 was the only bad episode of the show and it was such a bizarre waste of time when this season felt rushed as it was. I also felt that the first 2-3 episodes of the show were mostly pointless given that the entire cast was pretty much killed off and ended up being rather irrelevant to the rest of the season (besides those who turned out to be the mind-wiped witches). They might as well have just started off with the return of the witches straight away instead of leaving it to the end of episode 3. My other big regret is that given Mallory went back in time, it meant that a lot of the season's greatest developments were now reversed (Moira is now trapped again in Murder House and not reunited with her mother, Myrtle was never resurrected, Madison is still in hell and didn't experience any growth, Tate and Violet didn't reunite, Constance is presumably still alive etc). I also agree that how Michael was killed off was pretty anti-climatic but I did love his finale scene with Constance.

Overall it was a wonderful season! It did remind me a little of Buffy. I've always loved the Supreme mythology and the ending of Coven always did remind me of Chosen (and it was written by David Fury). The moment Cordelia sacrifices herself to spoil Michael's plan ("my sisters are legion!") was incredibly powerful.

Ryan Murphy nearly spun Coven off into it's own series after Season 3 so I imagine this season was everything he wanted to do. But I could seriously watch more seasons of it. I love these characters.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dinza (20-11-18),Silver1 (19-11-18)

Thanks

Coven and Apocalypse both really reminded me of BTVS, the whole feminine energy + girl power thing going on and the fact that I could easily see Buffy Summers doing & saying everything Cordelia Goode said/did, I can only imagine how a Dark Willow vs Michael Langdon showdown would turn out (maybe with the antichrist getting flayed alive and/or reduced to cosmic energy?) or Dawn could just run him over with the SUV.
    325 posts to go til signature