Thread: Nikita 1x01 Pilot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 726 Posts

Default Nikita 1x01 Pilot

Well, I had been looking forward to this show and am so happy that it didn't disappoint!

After watching (and mostly hiding from) the lengthy previews the CW showed repeatedly all summer, I was starting to fear they were showing the whole episode plot or if the show would feel generic or lacking emotion. Thankfully, those fears didn't come true. I didn't watch the tv Le Femme Nikita show and was vaguely aware of the premise.

I liked the quick intro to Nikita's character and instead of seeing her backstory we saw another girl, Alex, being introduced into the life. I like that the girl being trained by the Division is in current times therefore her fate is unwritten as opposed to getting flashbacks of Nikita who we would obviously know would succeed on her first missions.

I liked the unraveling of Nikita's relationships with everyone she knew at the Division. I liked how she was unwilling to kill the nerd even though he would have killed her without hesitation. And it wasn't done in an annoying way of it being against her principles. Instead we could see she realized the uselessness of extracting information from him or killing him and saw no real reason burn this possible asset now. Instead she lulled the Division into a false persona of herself that she was weak and vulnerable which will keep them from being able to accurately predict her moves.

I was surprised to see Shane West acting like such a mean badass, so I really enjoyed how that unraveled. Particularly in the end when we see he still seems to have feelings for Nikita or he would have shot her on site.

I enjoyed the introduction of Alex to the Division. Particularly the scenes with Amanda (JULIE COOPER!!! ). I was very impressed with Amanda's speech to convince Alex to listen to her. I'm not so sure about her two buddies. Tom was okay, but the other girl was too cocky and made me doubt her spy capabilities. It was funny how Tom was the coolest when around the spy recruits but about as effective as paper against Nikita. Oh and the cleaner guy was surprisingly tough! I liked him!

I loved the final reveal that Nikita wasn't working for someone. Instead she is the one pulling the strings. I think getting to see her in a mentor position rather than just the badass spy persona will be unique.

I'm really excited about the episodes to come and hid from the upcoming scenes they showed afterwards. I'm pretty sure the episode reairs on Friday night.

It was so great to see a show on the CW that wasn't a teen drama or a scifi/fantasy show. (Which I enjoy both! ) CW has always focused on tween demographics and it's nice that with Nikita that theyseem to realize their largest population is growing up and that they shouldn't just abandon us. This is one reason I love that the show focuses on the older Nikita and the younger Alex. It allows the show to appeal to both age groups.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Yeah, it was definitely very different from the usual CW fare, especially with that heist scene in the beginning, with the creepy animal masks! (I totally didn't see the reveal coming about Nikita as the pig! I did on the other hand think she was always working alone, or for herself). I thought it was indeed a good/solid start to a new show, though it wasn't quite enough to make me necessarily want to continue yet, especially when I have so many other shows on my plate as it is, and can't afford to add another one. If I hear it's really awesome down the line though I'll try to catch up/marathon through the rest at some later time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    I was surprised to see Shane West acting like such a mean badass, so I really enjoyed how that unraveled. Particularly in the end when we see he still seems to have feelings for Nikita or he would have shot her on site.
    One quick note--it's "Division", not District! Though I was wondering, is it supposed to take place/be based in Washington, DC? Because for me that'd be an added bonus for watching!

And yeah, I'd say Michael and his relationship with Nikita definitely intrigues me the most so far on the show (hopeless shipper that I am! )...I liked how he couldn't bring himself to shoot her, and I hope we will get some flashbacks and learn more about their past relationship. It reminds me of Sydney and her own Michael (Vaughn) handler, falling in love...I wonder where it will lead?
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina View Post
    Yeah, it was definitely very different from the usual CW fare, especially with that heist scene in the beginning, with the creepy animal masks! (I totally didn't see the reveal coming about Nikita as the pig! I did on the other hand think she was always working alone, or for herself). I thought it was indeed a good/solid start to a new show, though it wasn't quite enough to make me necessarily want to continue yet, especially when I have so many other shows on my plate as it is, and can't afford to add another one. If I hear it's really awesome down the line though I'll try to catch up/marathon through the rest at some later time...
    I couldn't imagine keeping up with the number of shows you're watching while going abroad! And dramas are the easiest show to marathon. But the show has me intrigued and ready to delve deeper into the story.

One quick note--it's "Division", not District! Though I was wondering, is it supposed to take place/be based in Washington, DC? Because for me that'd be an added bonus for watching!
    OMG! I don't know how that happened! Because I thought it was funny that it was named Division which was a mythical place in 24 and I loved Xander Berkley (Percy) from 24.

Thank you for pointing that out, I went ahead and edited my post.
    And yeah, I'd say Michael and his relationship with Nikita definitely intrigues me the most so far on the show (hopeless shipper that I am! )...I liked how he couldn't bring himself to shoot her, and I hope we will get some flashbacks and learn more about their past relationship. It reminds me of Sydney and her own Michael (Vaughn) handler, falling in love...I wonder where it will lead?
    Nikita and Daniel reminded me of Sydney and Dani, but I feel there is a completely different dynamic when comparing Michaels. LOL, now I'm interested to find out which story named the characters first or if it is just coincidence. I'm hoping wenj reads this because I'm pretty sure she saw the original Le Femme Nikita tv show.

Of the several things that reminded me of Alias, what stood out as the most similar was that it was straightforward action and drama. I have all kinds of shows that make me laugh or have witty comments. I liked the seriousness and attention to setting up the story, and a little adrenaline never hurts! Though I wouldn't be surprised to see more humor in later episodes.

I also liked that the show seemed to be saying things that made sense and made you think. Like the remark about showing vulnerability to gain strength rather than simply using brute force. Or the one about how home is wherever you stop running. Sometimes it's nice to be told the concept and then see unfold onscreen, as opposed to having to puzzle it out and then wonder if you just read too much into a show.

Lydia made the punch!

Graveyard Patrol doppelganger47's Avatar
    Thanks

Of the several things that reminded me of Alias, what stood out as the most similar was that it was straightforward action and drama. I have all kinds of shows that make me laugh or have witty comments. I liked the seriousness and attention to setting up the story, and a little adrenaline never hurts! Though I wouldn't be surprised to see more humor in later episodes.
    the show does remind me of Alias, so main difference for me are the characters and the fight scenes. i prefer all the characters in Alias over those in Nikita, though i do like Alex's character. i want to see more action (preferably less guns and more hands on fighting), but the show has a lot of promise and just looks like some good spy-action drama. will also be interesting to see if anything develops between Nikita and Michael. it's obvious Michael had a thing for her.
    I loved the final reveal that Nikita wasn't working for someone. Instead she is the one pulling the strings. I think getting to see her in a mentor position rather than just the badass spy persona will be unique.
    i felt the scene where Nikita crashes the party seemed a bit pointless, but the ending pulled me right back in. i loved how it all came together like that with Nikita actually being the one in charge and that whole pharmaceuticals robbery at the beginning was all part of the plan. was the man that Nikita shot (during the robbery) just a civilian? anyway, seemed really believable when Alex trips over the dead man, not so much the fact that she was picking up the spilt drugs while cops were entering, instead of running though.
    veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Thanks

I
    Nikita and Daniel reminded me of Sydney and Dani, but I feel there is a completely different dynamic when comparing Michaels. LOL, now I'm interested to find out which story named the characters first or if it is just coincidence. I'm hoping wenj reads this because I'm pretty sure she saw the original Le Femme Nikita tv show.
    Oh, La Femme Nikita was the original there - my favorite show of all time before Gilmore Girls. The Michael/Nikita love story is just beautiful. Everyone should go get the 4 1/2 seasons and watch it, because it's truly awesome....[/show plug]

That said, when Alias came out, (I loved Alias, don't get me wrong) but I always complained about how MUCH of a rip off it was of La Femme Nikita. LFN was more of a dark horse, ahead of its time show. Total cult classic. Alias lightened it up a bit but kept most of the same themes and comparable characters. I loved in this pilot that Nikita slightly ripped Alias's 'dead fiance sent the main character on a revenge kick' - and even copped the name Danny - LOL - serves Alias right, they completely copied LFN.

As far as the pilot itself, I had low expectations, because like I said, LFN is just perfect in itself. But I like how they broke Nikita's character into two - Early Nikita (Alex) and Later Nikita(Nikita) from the LFN series. They practically copied the opening sequence from LFN's pilot - of Alex waking up in section with Michael telling her what happened, showing her the picture of her grave. But I think it'll be a neat twist to see the two versions of Nikita in the same series at the same time.

It was great to see that they kept some of the same character names as the original - Nikita, obviously, and Michael and Birkoff. Of course you have the Operations/Percy and Madeline/Amanda. It was freaky how much the Amanda character copied Madeline. Even the set was similar with the vanity and manequins, and Amanda's mannerisms and SMILE was the same LOL. It was nice to see the familiar in that. Not real thrilled with the casting of Shane West as Michael, I don't think he can be as dark as what Michael needs to be, personally, if the show goes in the same direction, nor is he anywhere near as hot, lol.

I thought the opening story/plot line was a little thin, but I did like the twist that Nikita got Alex into Section. We'll see if it can possibly fill the huge shoes that LFN left, though. I will give it another watch this week, anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRae12 View Post
    Oh, La Femme Nikita was the original there - my favorite show of all time before Gilmore Girls. The Michael/Nikita love story is just beautiful. Everyone should go get the 4 1/2 seasons and watch it, because it's truly awesome....[/show plug]
    Thanks for the info LRae! I always wanted to watch LFN, but it was on cable when it aired and then it was something I never made it around to watching. It's definitely on my list to eventually watch.

That said, when Alias came out, (I loved Alias, don't get me wrong) but I always complained about how MUCH of a rip off it was of La Femme Nikita. LFN was more of a dark horse, ahead of its time show. Total cult classic. Alias lightened it up a bit but kept most of the same themes and comparable characters. I loved in this pilot that Nikita slightly ripped Alias's 'dead fiance sent the main character on a revenge kick' - and even copped the name Danny - LOL - serves Alias right, they completely copied LFN.

As far as the pilot itself, I had low expectations, because like I said, LFN is just perfect in itself. But I like how they broke Nikita's character into two - Early Nikita (Alex) and Later Nikita(Nikita) from the LFN series. They practically copied the opening sequence from LFN's pilot - of Alex waking up in section with Michael telling her what happened, showing her the picture of her grave. But I think it'll be a neat twist to see the two versions of Nikita in the same series at the same time.

It was great to see that they kept some of the same character names as the original - Nikita, obviously, and Michael and Birkoff. Of course you have the Operations/Percy and Madeline/Amanda. It was freaky how much the Amanda character copied Madeline. Even the set was similar with the vanity and manequins, and Amanda's mannerisms and SMILE was the same LOL. It was nice to see the familiar in that. Not real thrilled with the casting of Shane West as Michael, I don't think he can be as dark as what Michael needs to be, personally, if the show goes in the same direction, nor is he anywhere near as hot, lol.
    That's really interesting that there all those similarities. I think its nice that Nikita is trying to pay its respects to LFN and tie into it without actually remaking it and instead being more of a continuation.

I know I was confused at the beginning with how they split Alex and Nikita into two people. I thought it would be a standard flashback so i was impressed the show went the different route.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see how the show proceeds from the introduction and begins to settle into exploring characters.

Lydia made the punch!

Graveyard Patrol doppelganger47's Avatar
    Thanks

i've never seen the original version, but i'm loving this show so far.
    veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Hellmouth Tourist TaoOfLuxLisbon's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone still watching this show? For some reason, I keep tuning in. It's got that certain "mid 90's syndicated hour long action show" feel that makes me nostalgic.

Thanks

Oh, I'm definitely still watching! And I really love that Devon Sawa has a reoccurring role.

I'm a little disappointed that the show has been more drama than action. But I really think watching the show in marathon chunks would increase the suspense more than the week to week nature. (In case anyone is considering catching up.)

I thought this week's episode was really good. And I'm looking forward to a change in the dynamic now that Alex can go out on missions rather than mostly confined to Division.

Lydia made the punch!

Hellmouth Tourist TaoOfLuxLisbon's Avatar
    Thanks

This show continues to get better. But it seems that after tonight maybe Michael is finally smartening up about Alex and her connection to Nikita. Let's be honest, he's been pretty well hoodwinked by her, as has Division in general. It's almost as embarassing as not seeing that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person. So it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I have not watch this show yet.I heard the story of this show from my friend. When I was free from my busy schedule then I definitely like to watch this show online.

Thanks

I've only seen the pilot thus far, but I thought that was really good. I admit, that prior to watching the episode I was skeptical, as I'd heard comparisons to Dollhouse, which I love. But even though there were similarities, I very much enjoyed it nonetheless. I look forward to watching the rest of the series.
    .Forever, That's The Whole Point...