Thread: Reporting Posts to Moderators

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

Default Reporting Posts to Moderators

Hi all!

This is an informative post clarifying further how the forum is run and how we expect members to help us run it.

There are a lot of members here so we like it organized. That's why we have a lot of rules about what is spam and being respectful to other members.

Therefore, if you notice something is out of order or someone is being rude, please alert the moderators immediately. That's all we want from members.

How do you alert the moderators?

1. Report Post Button
    Underneath the name and avatar of a member who has posted are a series of buttons. The red/white triangle is the "Report Post" button. When you click on this, it gives you a dialogue with which to send a message to the moderators as well as links to that post and thread.

Just a quick message is fine, such as "this is a spambot" or "double post". However, if the matter is more complicated, feel free to be detailed why you reported the post.

2. Private Message
    You can always pm us! We are not bothered to organize this forum or help you out!

What does bother us is repeated incidents. Examples are repeatedly making double posts or one line replies whether trying to be witty or simply stating, "I agree" which are spam. But that's not the point of this announcement.

What do the moderators not want you to do?
    1. Do not point out the mistake to the member in the thread.
    3. Do not pm the member about the mistake.
    3. Do not discuss the mistake within the thread.

Why? Because no matter how friendly or how polite you try to be, even a little issue, it comes off as harsh. A newer member may feel intimidated or embarrassed. While an older member may feel insulted or that you are unrightfully acting superior.

While having a mistake pointed out is bad enough when coming from a moderator, it's worse coming from a peer. Particularly when it comes from members that they have to post alongside. Rather than creating feelings of unwelcomeness or personal animosity, let the moderators handle it. It's better if a member thinks we are "big bad meanies" than the individual members.

Everyone makes mistakes and it's not worth taking a thread off topic talking about something simple. If it's a personal issue of someone attacking another person, the situation will not cool down by members making snarky remarks

Also, not every posting mistake or perceived insult is truly that. So it's best for the moderators to evaluate and handle it if there is something to handle.

Reporting a post is not going to automatically get someone in trouble. It just means, "hey! there's something i think the moderators should see and could help out on." All it does is send us a message.

Thank you for reading this! If you have any concerns please pm me.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Hey - I have a personal request. I was having a bad spelling day on the day I signed up. Can my name be changed to Bespangeled. Because Spangel was what I was going for.
    Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape. - Terry Pratchett

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

betta (21-04-18),GoSpuffy (18-04-18),Priceless (18-04-18),TriBel (18-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Hey - I have a personal request. I was having a bad spelling day on the day I signed up. Can my name be changed to Bespangeled. Because Spangel was what I was going for.
    I found this in the FAQ, but I think rules have changed:

7. Can I change my user name?
    Yes, you can. Once every 30 days you can change your username in your User Control Panel.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-04-18),Silver1 (21-04-18)

Thanks

How? I just went there but that doesn't seem to be an option that I can see.
    Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape. - Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    How? I just went there but that doesn't seem to be an option that I can see.
    I looked for too, and didn't found either. So it seems they have changed it; but certainly a mod can fix it - Sosa is a mod in one of the foruns here, maybe she has the power...