Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Angel Coming Back To Dark Horse

Sunnydale High Student -beardo-'s Avatar
    Thanks

Default Angel Coming Back To Dark Horse

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27928

In my opinion, this is good news. Like they have said, it will mean that there can be a deeper exploration of the Buffyverse if both series are under one roof. Me being a fan of what is and what isn't canon is even more happier as i assume that it will all be canon when dark horse takes over.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Well the bit about the giant alien bugs is new news. That raises even more questions.

This also proves conclusively that Angel will not be in the cast of season 9.
    Last edited by PointMan; 20-08-10 at 01:55 AM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Thanks

Another step towards an ongoing Buffyverse.

Judging from the tone of that release I'm thinking S9 is the seed from DH plans to grow the Ongoing Buffyverse:

-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Main book, no explanation needed.
    -Angel, Second book, not quite as important as the first but almost.
    -Spike: the Series, aka Wolverine, not quite as important as the other two but a great tool to feature the character interacting and doing things they can't have the other two doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,906 Times in 1,843 Posts

From very early on, I've been saying that the best thing they could do would be the complete transition of the Buffyverse into a comic setting, through multiple titles, preferably if they reacquired "Angel" as well. Excellent news for the ongoing value of the Buffyverse as an enduring setting.
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 20-08-10 at 01:55 AM.

Banner by LRae12

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

I think its great news for the fans really, it would finally mesh everything together, without leaving holes from both comics.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

This is wonderful news. I'm very excited that there's an epic story planned for S9 which involves both the BtVS and Ats casts. I think I understand better now why Joss was hesitant to call it a "season" in the first place too. With the new format in 2011 the "Buffy" and "Angel" titles can coexist easily and this also means we might get separate stories for the Ats characters too. This certainly explains why it sounded like Spike was sticking around more next season (I think he'll be a big part of Buffy's story, personally) and why they wouldn't rule out Angel making more appearances.

I don't think we'll get loads of crossovers but there are some interesting possibilities. For a start this might give a chance for Buffy to potentially meet Connor and Illyria to meet some of the BtVS cast etc. I also wonder if we'll be sort of ditching the shows as two separate entities (but keeping the title names for obvious licensing reasons) and kind of creating this merged huge story.

Hm, but these guys really need to work out their timing better! Allie's statement comes out before they could announce it and then Ryall lets it slip about "alien bugs" before Issue #36 has even come out Oh well, you gotta laugh!

I think this has just made me even more happy about S9. I love that Joss has a plan for the Ats characters and needed them back and if this *is* the end of the verse it's what a lot of fans always wanted -- a huge team effort of both casts to fight one last epic battle.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 395 Posts

I hope DH will bring over the fish and honor Lorne's retirement.
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,081 Posts

Buffyfest interviews Scott Allie on Dark Horse getting Angel back.Also talks about the Riley one-shot and spoilers for upcoming issues of Buffy Season 8 and 9.I'm spoiler hiding it for this reason.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2010/0...ott-allie.html

Friday, August 20, 2010

Exclusive Interview: Scott Allie Discusses Angel's Move to Dark Horse

Spoiler:

(Spoilers Below) Well... smoke 'em if you got 'em because it's the end (and beginning) of an era. eA few hours ago, Dark Horse confirmed that Angel will be back joining Buffy as one of their titles for Season 9. IDW also released a statement revealing that Angel's final IDW story will be told beginning in November.

It's been crazy watching License-gate unfold over the last 24 hours. Buffyfest has been privy to this juicy bit of news for quite some time now and we were just waiting for the official announcement to hit the web so we could finally talk about it! As you'll see from the following interview with Scott Allie, this wasn't the way it was all supposed to go down. But the truth is out and it's time to look forward to Season 9 while still relishing in the awesome stories that IDW is putting out right now.

Buffyfest: How did this huge announcement wind up in the back of the Riley one-shot?

Scott Allie: STUPIDITY. I screwed up. I am a slob.

Buffyfest: Was there a particular reason this wasn't announced at San Diego Comic Con?

Scott Allie: Yeah. Me promising Chris Ryall we'd wait until later in the year. That was the specific reason it was not announced at San Diego. Apparently it did not prevent me from writing it in a goddamn column that I blacked out of my memory until I got a phone call from Chris, and he ... refreshed me.

Buffyfest: Now that the Angel franchise is back with Dark Horse, what does this mean for the characters of that universe? Will Angel have his own title? Will any other characters get their own books? Any specifics?

Scott Allie: Well, it's not here yet. IDW has a bunch of stories yet to tell. But yes, Angel will eventually have his own title, as will some other characters. Some to last the whole of Season 9, some shorter. Details won't be coming for a little bit yet. I'll give you guys something exclusive at New York Comic Con.

Buffyfest: Will Joss be overseeing the Angel titles like he is with Buffy?

Scott Allie: Yeah, all titles of S9 will be part of a singular plan. Avengers will definitely take up more of his time than Dollhouse did, but we've got a plan we're gonna manage together.

Buffyfest: IDW's press release mentioned that their Angel series will tie in with what's happening with your story at Dark Horse. To what extent is that happening?

Scott Allie: This seems to be the main question on people's tongues, but I don't really know how to explain it. You've gotta wait and see. I saw some posts on Slayalive, and I know everyone wants an absolutely mathematical answer, but it's not like that. The main thing is that IDW has to wrap up their stories. Buffy Season 8 started four years ago. How dull would it be if all IDW did was climax their five-year run by segueing into a story that's been rolling almost as long? There will be some of that, but that's not all they're there for. We're showing them what we're doing, and we're knocking back and forth some details to sync it up.

Buffyfest: Will all the Buffy and Angel characters be interacting with one another throughout Season 9?

Scott Allie: Yes, but believe me, it sucks to have too many characters in a single book. All these characters will be in continuity with one another, there will be as much fluid crossover as we want, but S9 will not be all about getting twenty pithy characters in a room together.

Buffyfest: Will we see Buffy in Angel's book or Angel in Buffy's? What about secondary characters such as Connor or Illyria interacting in Buffy's book?

Scott Allie: Yep, yep. Can't give you specifics, but what you're talking about is sort of the point. Think early Marvel universe. This will be the Buffyverse.

Buffyfest: Switching gears to the Riley One-Shot. It seems like Jane Espenson was really paralleling Riley and Sam's relationship with Angel and Buffy's.

Scott Allie: Thank you, Michelle! Bingo. Has anyone else figured that?

Buffyfest: For example Riley's line, "No, it's okay. We're together even when we're not" can just as easily be Angel's line. Are we supposed to see it that way?

Scott Allie: Jane Espenson is HOTTT!

Buffyfest: What makes the relationships between Riley and Sam and Buffy and Angel similar? What makes them different?

Scott Allie: That is such a great question, but I think it's really for readers to think about, not for me to answer. But when we decided to do a Riley oneshot, our reasons were fairly simple. We felt that Riley's role in S8 needed a bit of explanation, and that it could shed some light on Twilight's days before he revealed himself to Buffy. But the stuff Jane came up with really elevated it. It revealed more about Season 8 than we'd imagined when Joss and I first decided to do the oneshot. Much praise upon Jane.

Buffyfest: A few questions about the surprise appearance of Whistler. How long has Whistler been back in the picture as of this issue and how long has Angel been Twilight as of this moment? Will we be seeing Whistler again?

Scott Allie: You will see Whistler again. Yeah. No hard answers to the other part of your question. We don't like defining the timeline more than we have to, but it was my suggestion to put Whistler in that role—we needed someone Angel trusted to talk to, and I came up with Whistler— and Jane and Joss were real into it, because he's been out of it for so long.

Buffyfest: In the preview to Buffy #36, we see Angel seemingly hearing voices from a number of strange, random sources, including a bird. What's up with that? Is Whistler really Whistler?

Scott Allie: Whistler is Whistler, but you'll see what's up with those other voices shortly. It's pretty clear a few pages into #36. It's already at the printers.

Buffyfest: The subtitle of the Riley One-Shot "Commitment Through Distance, Virtue Through Sin" seems to be Angel's destiny in this issue and many times in his past. Can you talk about how that title came about?

Scott Allie: Sure. Jane was working on the script, sent me that title in an email asking if I thought it was cool, and I just thought, Man, that is a lot of words to put on the cover. But it had a great, military-recruitment-ad vibe to it, and hit the theme right on the noggin. So, as I often do with Jane, I said, Yes.

Buffyfest: Does that title have implications going forward as we head into the final arc?

Scott Allie: Eh, sort of, but it's more where we've been, where a lot of our characters have been, how these relationships go.

Buffyfest: Is this the last we'll see of Riley this season? What about season 9?

Scott Allie: We will see more of him in the future, but I won't say exactly when.

Buffyfest: Finally, since the Angel title is back at Dark Horse and since everyone knows you HATE Spike, can we expect Spike to be dusted and dead forever in the first issue?

Scott Allie: Well, I start co-writing as of #37 ...

And there you have it!

Last edited by BAF; 20-08-10 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks

Personally, i think it's great news!

I've never been interested in the IDW comics, only read the first issues of Angel and then stopped.

Thanks for the great interview, BAF!
    Buffyfest: Will all the Buffy and Angel characters be interacting with one another throughout Season 9?

Scott Allie: Yes, but believe me, it sucks to have too many characters in a single book. All these characters will be in continuity with one another, there will be as much fluid crossover as we want, but S9 will not be all about getting twenty pithy characters in a room together.

Buffyfest: Will we see Buffy in Angel's book or Angel in Buffy's? What about secondary characters such as Connor or Illyria interacting in Buffy's book?

Scott Allie: Yep, yep. Can't give you specifics, but what you're talking about is sort of the point. Think early Marvel universe. This will be the Buffyverse.
    I mean...how cool is that? It's like a dream come true to see all the characters interacting!

And yeah, Scott, Jane is HOT!
    "I never think of the future. It will come soon enough."

Thanks

Great interview with lots of cool info. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Slayer
    Thanks

I've been thinking this for a while based off Scott's recent interviews.

1)Buffy Season 8 was a four year transitional story to a new status quo.Buffy Season 9 will be the new status quo.

2)BTVS and ATS are more or less being folded back into each other.Into one story under the Buffy Season 9 banner.

3)Ever since Scott's interview at Slayalive,I've been thinking on the format of season 9 and how Angel factors in.I think this interview confirms I'm on the right direction.

Buffy Season 8 was one long monthly series with three
    One-Shots(Tales of The Vampire,Willow,Riley) and some web comics.

Buffy Season 9 has a more expansive format.Per Scott's recent Slayalive interview

SlayAlive: Let's talk Angel and Spike. You confirmed that we would be seeing them in Season 9. Given that IDW will still be publishing books on these characters, is this something that's come up in your discussions with them, so that everyone's on the same page so nothing too crazy happens with a character (e.g. undergoes a secondary mutation into a more feral form or something like that)?

Scott Allie: Yeah, we've had the conversation with IDW, and S9 won't have the same continuity issues that S8 had with IDW's books. Angel won't be in Buffy's book very much, masked or otherwise, and whatever Spike does in the Buffy title will fit with what he's doing in his own title.

and

Scott Allie: We know a certain amount about the new format for Season 9, but can't explain too much yet. Once it starts, though, there will likely never be a month with less than two books, over the course of the 2-year period. There will be books that last that entire 2-year stretch, and a lot of titles that start and stop. It's complicated. We do still have a lot to figure out.

My spec is that basically this is the equivelant of Buffy and Angel being merged back together.

Buffy and Angel will be the two main monthly books under the season 9 banner and will run the full two years.Surrounding them will be various miniseries,maxiseries and One-Shots focusing on other characters at times,other groups and special situations.But the whole thing telling the large season 9 story.

Buffy and Angel will be telling the core season 9 story with the minis,maxis,and one offs spinning out and into it.

Very much like how DC and Marvel do their big event stories.

And floating back and forth of characters between the monthly series as well as the various tie-in stories.

Scott's comments about Angel and Spike's roles in Buffy season 9 in his Buffyfest and Slayalive reviews around Comic Con make more sense now in light of the recent news yesterday and today.It's why he's been so vague on how much Angel and Spike will be in season 9.

That's been my speculation for the last week or so and I think this new interview with Scott at Buffyfest confirms I'm on the right track.

4)We may be seeing the end of the Buffyverse.All of this is making me feel like Buffy Season 9 may be the swan song for the verse.We know that Season 8 has been moving us to the Fray setting and the vibe I'm getting now with the latest news is that the two year long Buffy Season 9 will be the final chapter.The end game.And this is why Joss feels it's so important to bring Buffy and Angel back under one roof.So Joss can tell that slam bang giant Buffy/Angel finish with both casts.Buffy Season 8 was the lead in,the transition to this.What I think we are getting with Buffy Season 9 is that big Buffy/Angel big screen finish movie uniting both casts for one large story.But we actually are getting it in comic book form.

This is all speculation ofcourse.

I liked Emmie's idea at Whedonesque of a intertwined BtVS/AtS logo image.Sort of like what DC uses on their Superman/Batman monthly.

I've also always liked the Buffy Season 5 logo.So maybe someting mixing that with a Angel logo.

Incorporate an "A" underneath the "B,V,S"
    Last edited by BAF; 20-08-10 at 08:52 AM.

Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Thanks

Scott also referenced the early Marvel/DC universes as models for what's going to happen with the books. Which I take to mean, not a lot of crossovers per se but a lot of co-mingling of certain characters within these books.

I still think we get 3 monthly books (Buffy, Angel, Spike) plus a few limited series (Willow, Illyria, Connor) and a quarterly (Tales of Slayers/Vampires). Maybe a one-shot or two as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 575 Posts

BAF, and have the ANGEL wings spanning the outside of the B-V-S.

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
    BAF, and have the ANGEL wings spanning the outside of the B-V-S.
    Good idea.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

I'd be willing to bet that the Angel series, whilst being under the Darkhorse banner, will not be part of the season 9 format. My guess is that there will be a Buffy title, maybe a Faith title and/or Willow, and perhaps one other, then the mini-series for a few characters. The Angel title, while still intersecting with the season 9 story, will not be part of the Buffy title itself. And the impression I got from Allies interview is that there would be several titles for season 9, not just two. I suspect that Spikes series will be the same way.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

Do we already know if they going to make an Angel series or if they just use the license for BtVS... no Angel series but having the full freedom over Spike and Angel (and when needed the other characters) when needed for BtVS.

And why do we have two treads for this one?
    Last edited by Nina; 20-08-10 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

Allie said that there will be an ANGEL series and also that like with the BtVS characters, certain Ats characters will get their own mini arcs as well.

He also said that Joss envisions the Buffyverse being a lot more like the early Marvelverse now which basically means we're scrapping the TV season format all together. Allie said a while back that Joss doesn't even want to call this "S9" at all as it's not structured like a season. I think we’ll obviously keep the titles “BUFFY” and “ANGEL” for licensing reasons but I think the days of them being two very distinct series are over. It’s probably the biggest change in the Buffyverse since we got a spin-off. There will be one main arc that spans over all stories and characters regardless of which show they originated from.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

That sounds really cool, hopefully there will be enough team-ups as well. Thanks, I'm too lazy to read all those interviews which came out recently. But this could be really great. I didn't like the tv-seasonformat in comicbooks anyway.

Hopefully some great writers will be on board.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -beardo- View Post
    In my opinion, this is good news.
    In my opinion it is not. It will even mean less time for my favorite characters, while they already have been ignored for two seasons. Everything seems to be about Angel for the moment. I don't give the slightest damn about the character, except when they bring back Cordelia. The only positive thing is that now Gunn and Illyria could play in Buffy's verse. But I already assume that that will never happen anyway. Neither will Xander or Giles ever be in Angel's show.

And who is going to be the executive for Angel? Joss already have no time for it. Everything will be delayed and delayed. At least at IDW they do continue with bringing out issues without delays. Angel is now already on par with Buffy S8 and they have a Spike show and now also Illyria.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 395 Posts

I bitterly remind the "hit me by truck" Joss comments from January
    I always thought there would be some kind of a "buy back" which we would have done on TV as well. If we had done Season 6 as a post-apocalyptic nightmare, we would have brought it back at the end so that we could have done Season 7 – he said wistfully – to bring it all back to the Buffyverse. The intent was always that, when Angel finally showed up [in the pages of "Buffy"], we'd make some very vague comment saying how "Things had gotten very funky, and now I'm here doing whatever it is I'm doing" which people now unfortunately know.
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004