PDA

View Full Version : The Welcoming Committee

CliCliR
22-12-09, 08:41 PM
Hey there! :wave:

With permission from Ehlwyen, some of us have agreed to set up a Welcoming Committee to welcome new members to the forum!

Quite a few members do drop in and welcome new members to the board of their own accord, but some of us think that an organised Welcoming Committee might help to make members feel more welcome and will build a better and friendlier community spirit. So here it is!

It's been proposed by others in the "Welcoming Committee?" discussion that we could set up some kind of a buddy system for members, where Volunteers could offer to help new members who want it and point out interesting things/points on the site to the new members. Also pointing out Members' Birthdays could fall into our list of things to do, as another member pointed out.

So I wasn't exactly sure how to go about this but I hope I've done this right.

I suppose this can now be a Sign-Up post too? Anyone who is interested in the Welcoming Committee/Buddy System might post in this thread and let me know and I'll add them to a list here?

Also, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks. :)

Welcoming Committee/Buddy System Volunteers

CliCliR
Ahm Shere
Theresa Marie86
Skinless
Joan
Heroine X
Prophecy Boy
Evilbunny
behringtheweb
Kiera
FaithRoxx
TouchofGrey
Drusilla

Ahm Shere
23-12-09, 03:14 AM
Sign me up!!!

CliCliR
23-12-09, 03:32 PM
Awesomeness!! that's a start!! I've added your name above!!

Ahm Shere
23-12-09, 03:41 PM
:bounce: Yay!

Theresa Marie86
24-12-09, 05:01 AM
*raises hand*

So CliCliR how do you propose we go about doing the buddy system per say? I honestly got nothing. lol.

CliCliR
24-12-09, 02:51 PM
... Well, I'm not exactly sure about that, but I'm thinking along the lines of "pair up with a new member who needs help and be available to answer any questions or help them out whenever they need it..." Does that sound okay? I honestly don't know how exactly to go about this. I think our main problem would be publicizing and letting people know that we exist...

holypotatoes
24-12-09, 07:23 PM
What you guys need to do is when a new member makes their welcome post you just need to say in your post "I'm part of the welcoming committee here at Buffyforums so if you ever need help navigating the forum or have a question I as well as the others in the committee are gladly here to help." Because frankly, not every new member is going to want to automatically be paired up with a member they don't know and chances are they've been lurking about the forum long enough to sort of know where things are. So really, just offer your assistance and if they do need help they can pm you or make a post on your profile.

skinless
24-12-09, 07:33 PM
Hey sign me up, I have no problem doing this

CliCliR
24-12-09, 09:07 PM
Actually, that's a good idea Holypotatoes, thanks!! :hug:

And thanks for joining Skinless!!

evilbunny
01-01-10, 04:40 PM
Maybe if you could advertise that you have a buddy system going on somehow so that new members would be able to see it.

CliCliR
03-01-10, 07:02 PM
Maybe if you could advertise that you have a buddy system going on somehow so that new members would be able to see it.

That's the thing - I'm not sure how we could advertise it. If there was some way we could make some kind of badge or way to mark members as a part of the committee but I'm not sure that's possible :cutecry:

We could of course just say it to new members in the welcome threads. Which seems a lot easier!!

Joan
03-01-10, 10:11 PM
I would love to help out on the Welcoming Committee.

Ahm Shere
04-01-10, 01:48 AM
Just stick it in your sig saying you're part of the Welcoming Committee ;)

CliCliR
04-01-10, 03:22 PM
Joan:thanks for joining! your name has been added!!

Ahm Shere: ............................... So simple it's GENIUS!!! :lol: Good point there! How did something like that fly over my head?! :fryingpan: I seriously overthink and complicate things so much!

Ahm Shere
05-01-10, 12:16 AM
;) I might not be the brightest spark in the crayon box, but I do come up with some good ideas :lol:

And I added a slight 'personal' touch to my signature :lol:

CliCliR
05-01-10, 11:45 AM
:roll: I see it!! that's funny!! :D

Veverka
11-02-10, 10:07 PM
Guys, before you welcome someone, there are a few clues to if they're a real member or not.

If they're posting in a different area to "welcome posts", chances are it's a spammer- it's not that hard to find the right thread.

You can then look in their profile and on the 'about me' page- if under interests it has the person's name, or a link to a spammy website... then it's spam. What also happens a lot is "Biography: man", LOL.

Anyways, not to sound negative, coz I think it's great that this welcoming committee got made, but I think it undermines it for real members if you can't tell the difference! :xd

holypotatoes
11-02-10, 10:22 PM
Another thing to add to Vev's stuff, when you look at their profile if under gender they have "undisclosed" don't even bother. Seriously. I can understand people not putting their name's in their profile but to not even bother putting whether or not you're a female/male, chances are they're not sticking around long enough for anyone to find out. So yeah, just another thing to watch out for.

Llywela
12-02-10, 10:17 AM
Anyways, not to sound negative, coz I think it's great that this welcoming committee got made, but I think it undermines it for real members if you can't tell the difference! :xd
Well said!

Everything Veverka and Holypotatoes just said is a good rule of thumb. The spammers are very clever. They very often post threads that look perfectly innocent, just funny little messages saying hello - but then later they will come back and edit spammy links into those messages or into their sigs. Usually, they are indiscrimminate about where these messages are posted, so if you see one in general forums, you can pretty much guarantee it's a spambot. But sometimes they manage to get one in the right place - there was one here in the welcome forum just yesterday, to which people had started to respond in good faith before we caught and banned it. I'll quote what the spammer had posted because it is very typical of how the spammers structure their posts:

Hello Friends. I found this site so much interesting and useful. I must say I am really pleased to see such site which sharing good knowledge. I found this forum quiet informative as well interested. Hope to be in touch with many of you.
The English is poor. The content is repetitive and generic. There is nothing in there even remotely specific to this forum. It's just a placeholder statement to provide the spammer with a toehold into the forum.

The name is generally another dead giveaway and something to look out for.

CliCliR
13-02-10, 11:00 AM
Something I've noticed as well is that a lot of genuine members like to say something about themselves and actually mention BtVS or something along those lines in their welcome posts. Like someone might say "I've loved Buffy since I was x years old" or something. I kinda take that as indication to whether or not someone is genuinely interested in what the forum has to offer... Though it's not hugely accurate I find it kinda helps if some post in the Welcome Threads...

Theresa Marie86
14-02-10, 04:42 PM
So just out of curiosity.. has anyone "used" the welcoming committee to ask you questions? I have it posted in my sig.. just wondering to see if im a loser.. lol.. Because no one has asked me anything or anything like that. lol. Of course i'll keep it up, just curious!

CliCliR
15-02-10, 12:13 PM
So just out of curiosity.. has anyone "used" the welcoming committee to ask you questions? I have it posted in my sig.. just wondering to see if im a loser.. lol.. Because no one has asked me anything or anything like that. lol. Of course i'll keep it up, just curious!

No, noone has actually asked me anything either :s oh well, at least we're here if anyone ever needs us though :)

Heroine X
07-05-10, 10:33 PM
Sign me up please and thank you!

CliCliR
07-05-10, 10:49 PM
Thanks Amanda! Your name is added to the list as of now! :D :hug:

evilbunny
17-05-10, 06:42 PM
I'll join! :-D bit late, but whatever. maybe we should set up an open question thread in this section?

CliCliR
17-05-10, 07:17 PM
Thanks Aine! :D added!

That's actually A good idea :) I'll mention it to te mods :D

CaptainOats
17-05-10, 10:40 PM
So I was just wondering if our Faq section for new members mentions us at all? When I first joined I didn't even notice the Welcome section for like three months! :lol: Maybe a mod could edit a little part in about us just to spread the word around more for newbies?

Just a thought, and if it's already been done then super! ;)

behringtheweb
28-08-10, 06:26 AM
I like this. The first time around I was kind of off putting to me. But not no more but who knows how new people feel, so glad this is here :)

Kiera
20-09-10, 06:56 PM
Is it too late to sign up? I'd love to help =D I remember how welcoming everyone was when I came the first time, then again when I was MIA. And there was no welcoming committee then either.

CliCliR
21-09-10, 11:08 PM
Yeah, There are tons of members who always do their best to welcome other members to the forum whenever they can :) It is nice to see such active participation :) You've been added to the list above :) Thank you! :D

behringtheweb
29-04-11, 05:54 AM
Omg I have been such a bad member. Been away forever but I am back lol. Please don't punish me.....lol jp but missed you all.

FaithRoxx
18-08-11, 12:56 PM
Hey Welcoming Commitee! May I join your ranks?

I`ve made a good friend after welcoming a newer member (Touchofgrey) after all :P

Touchofgrey
18-08-11, 06:57 PM
how do you become a welcome Committee member, and can i join or do you have to have a special title to become a welcome Committee member, just curious is all, because i know how it feels to be a new member and all and wanting to be accepted is important well to me it is.

Ehlwyen
18-08-11, 07:23 PM
I've added you both to the list! :hug: Anyone is welcome to join! Things have been kinda quiet lately, so it's great to have new members joining in the community! :heart:

FaithRoxx
18-08-11, 08:37 PM
:P Yay! Touchofgrey signed up too! My bestie :D

Touchofgrey
18-08-11, 09:38 PM
could someone please help me put up the link to this thread in my sig box so i can show that i am member of the welcome committee to, if you can thanks that would be great :)

Ehlwyen
19-08-11, 05:17 AM
I see you've already added a signature. :D So go to that same box that you reach from the link in your User CP.

To add a link, you will use the button that has a world with a paperclip thing. First write the text you want to appear, like Welcoming Committee and highlight it with your mouse. Click the button. Then just copy and paste the address from your Internet browser of the page you want to link to.

Try that procedure, but if it doesn't work, here is the forum coding for you. :) Quote my post (button in the bottom right of my post) and you should be able to see the code rather than the link. If you still see the link, click the "AA" button in the top right ( next to the font box).
Welcoming Committee (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=578985#post578985)

thechosenone
19-08-11, 07:13 AM
Hi everyone! Newbie here on buffyforums.net! Actually, new to the world of Buffydom really. Just finished watching the whole series on Netflix a few days ago, but I am already dedicated for life. Also on Season 1 of Angel, Episode 11. I loved the idea of communicating with other fans so I joined up but really have no clue what to do or where to go. Yay for a welcoming committee!

Touchofgrey
19-08-11, 07:17 AM
hey thechosenone and welcome, i am not sure either i just signed up this month and been a buffy fan for while it's good to see a fellow buffy fan as well :)

FaithRoxx
19-08-11, 04:26 PM
Of course it is! Welcome, thechosenone!

thechosenone
22-08-11, 12:19 AM
@Touchofgrey, thanks for the friend request! It's good to be with Buffy fans, agreed!
@FaithRoxx, I just sent you a friend request and received your private message. Unfortunately when I tried to reply, the system said something about my not being enabled to send private messages.....djfa;sdfjwfak this makes no sense to me. Anyone know what I could do? Also, to answer your q. Besides Buffy, Anya is def one of my faves! She is just so hilariously blunt and Emma Caulfield is gorg!! :D

holypotatoes
22-08-11, 06:09 AM
Unfortunately when I tried to reply, the system said something about my not being enabled to send private messages.....djfa;sdfjwfak this makes no sense to me. Anyone know what I could do?
This is done on purpose actually. Because spammers have a tendency to create an account and then go to town pm'ing everyone with their spam, the mods made it a requirement to have 5 posts, I think it's 5, before you can pm people. Yes, it's slightly frustrating but hey, you joined a buffy message board for a reason. Get to posting! :xd You'll have enough posts to privately message people in no time.

FaithRoxx
02-09-11, 08:46 PM
Have there been any new members at all for a while? I`ve been kinda streched timewise with school, but I haven`t seen any newbies...

Drusilla
28-12-11, 08:30 PM
Yo guys! i`d like to join :D

Let`s get the welcoming commitee more active, I say. I got an idea for that, if anyone`s interested, BTW.

behringtheweb
06-07-12, 11:50 PM
Sorry I've been slacking on this. Some know the huge life change I've made but I'm back and will pick up my slack again :-)

_Buffy_
07-07-12, 12:15 PM
Sorry I've been slacking on this. Some know the huge life change I've made but I'm back and will pick up my slack again :-)

Hi again :hug: ! It is so nice to see a familiar members again :)

melmel333
04-12-12, 05:09 AM
hey everyone :) i used to be on this site years ago. its strange when i first came this place seems like its own machine, there were just so many people and so many awesome fan art challenges and i learned so much . i look around now and it doesnt seem as booming? that makes me kind of sad actually. but its still great to be back :) ! im going to start getting into fan art again and this is the only place i know of that i can show my art and get help and inspiration. challenges are always fun as well :) . so i just wanted to say hi . gosh i wonder if anyone will even reply to this! haha all these posts im seeing around seem like they were such a long time ago .

Llywela
04-12-12, 08:43 AM
Hi, Melmel333, it's nice to have you back - glad to hear how keen you are to get involved in the fanart community again. :)

ElenDan
27-11-15, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone :)
we are a new series of comic strips, Duval Antique.
It is an adventure series with the main character Archont Duval, a world-renowned archeologist and antique shop owner who comes face-to-face with ancient tangled puzzles. With adventures, secret sites and ancient hidden treasures the stories are for everyone who loves traveling, adventures and interesting historical events, lost treasures, caches, and forgotten secrets. Each comics is a mini detective story.

We are a startup and need your support to make more stories real. Therefor we have launched a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.
http://igg.me/at/duvalantique

We have prepared a variety of perks (bonuses) starting from $1. Perks are ranging from e-mailed original drawings to complete printed comic books (exclusive, signed first edition) and possibility to become one of the characters of a story.

It would be amazing if you could support us. Your help is priceless and very important. Thank you all very much!
http://igg.me/at/duvalantique