PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite writer?

vampmogs
28-10-09, 09:22 AM
Hey :wave:

Who is your favourite writer in s8?

I was thinking about this in the re-read thread and I decided it warranted a thread of its own. I'm just interested to hear who people have enjoyed the most throughout s8 and WHY?

Just to refresh people's memories here is a list of all the writers this season and what issues they worked on;

EDIT: I thought I clicked to add a poll but it didn't work for some reason *grumble, grumble*

Joss Whedon- The Long Way Home, The Chain, Anywhere But Here, A Beautiful Sunset, Time of Your Life, Always Darkest

Brian K Vaughn- No Future For You

Drew Goddard- Wolves At The Gate

Jane Espenson- Harmonic Divergence, Harmony Bites, Retreat

Steven De Knight- Swell

Doug Petrie- Living Doll

Jim Krueger- Safe

Drew Z Greenberg- Predators and Prey

Jeph Loeb- After These Messages….

Personally I voted for Joss. I have absolutely loved every single thing he's written this season and IMHO he hasn't put a foot wrong. When I read an issue penned by Joss it feels familiar and exactly like an episode of the TV show. I think this probably has to do with the fact that he knows these character's voices better than anyone and he continues to use things like "pre-lap/post-lap dialogue" in his issues exactly like an episode of the show did.

His issues always feel both very epic and intimate at the same time. He’s given us some superb character moments like Buffy and Satsu’s talk in the cemetery, Willow admitting she blames Buffy for Tara’s death and Xander refusing to go through the portal but he’s given us some truly cinematic moments as well. The Buffy/Twilight battle in the cemetery or Buffy and Fray fighting on top of flying cars are some of the best uses of the medium.

His writing is always layered and complex and I love the references to past episodes/issues of the series. I love that he can write something as pointless and gratuitous as the Buffy/Angel/Spike threesome panel and down the line turn it into something poignant (Always Darkest.) I also love his dialogue. It’s as witty as ever but it’s also very memorable. Lines like “The thing about changing the world, once you do it the world’s all different…” and “Betrayal. The closest, the most unexpected” stick with us for the rest of the season.

IMO his issues always seem focused and have never wavered. They always tie to something from the past or something we’re yet to see and they always relate to the arc and what the characters are going through. Overall I think he just writes comics with ease.

My next 2 picks would be;

2. Brian K Vaughn- He's a masterful writer who has wrote the best arc of the season. His writing is layered, complex and very true to the characters. I wish he had been part of the show.

3. Drew Goddard- He wrote some truly amazing scenes, the characters sound spot on and he's HILARIOUS.

3 Least Fave

1. Jeph Loeb- After These Messages didn’t deliver on the amazing potential it had.

2. Jim Krueger- I didn’t hate Safe like a lot of people but it wasn’t one of the best issues

3. Jane Espenson- I just don’t think her writing translates well to this medium at all. A lot of the time her issues don’t flow well and for somebody who worked on the show, some of the character’s voices sound peculiarly “off” at times.

Vamps :)

KingofCretins
28-10-09, 04:43 PM
1. Brian K. Vaughan -- "No Future For You", made into a TV episode or two parter, would be in the "Becoming", "Five by Five"/"Sanctuary", "Graduation" discussion.

2. Joss Whedon -- only Joss is Joss.

3. Jane Espenson -- I agree that she didn't translate in 8.21 at all, but "Retreat" has actually been pretty masterful, and I think she's done very well in an area that's usually not her realm, action. Moreover, she's delivered on action *while* still giving us really brilliant character and relationship moments, like all of 8.28, which is probably a top 5 issue at this point.

Koos
28-10-09, 05:05 PM
I have a weakness for Drew Goddard. His work in S8 could be seen as a crackfic and his follow up to Xander's weird relationship with Dracula wasn't a solid start to write from. He also had to write the Buffy/Satsu thing. I was pretty impressed by it. He's has relaxed and easy way of writing which I like. Just like Brian Vaughan and Joss Whedon he has very good at writing dialogue. But then again, what can you expect from BtVS. What I particulary like about Goddard is that he's not afraid the hard side of characters. Like how he wrote Buffy to set the helpless vampire on fire. It's that mix of relaxed, funny, light writing style with balls that makes me my favorite writers. Joss Whedon though still keeps to be the best in character writers of the show. Especially when it comes to Xander and Willow. Every writers\ shows us some particular facets of a character that we can recognize, Joss shows us the whole character. Jane stands out in some scenes but overall I don't find her as good as Joss, Brian and Drew Goddard.

1. Brian K. Vaughan -- "No Future For You", made into a TV episode or two parter, would be in the "Becoming", "Five by Five"/"Sanctuary", "Graduation" discussion.

2. Joss Whedon -- only Joss is Joss.

3. Jane Espenson -- I agree that she didn't translate in 8.21 at all, but "Retreat" has actually been pretty masterful, and I think she's done very well in an area that's usually not her realm, action. Moreover, she's delivered on action *while* still giving us really brilliant character and relationship moments, like all of 8.28, which is probably a top 5 issue at this point.

Bittersweettwit
28-10-09, 07:41 PM
"No Future For You" by Brian K. Vaughan. My favourite arc of the season so far as it was an amazing exploration of the character of Faith and included one of my favourite fight scenes of the season so far i.e the Buffy and Faith fight in the water at the end of the arc. And of course Giles and Faith temporary seperation from Buffy so that they could develop their own bond. :D

Joss Whedon - His writing has been absolutely amazing so far this season and has included some of the best scenes in the season so far such as the Buffy and Satsu encounter in "A Beautiful Sunlight." He has explored some of the best characterisation such as the idea of Dark Willow returning in the future to prevent Buffy from occuring the future we saw in Fray during "Time of Your Life"

So of course I can't wait to see any writing that may come from these two later in the season :lol: