PDA

View Full Version : The covers and info for Buffy season 8 #27 are out

Sosa lola
08-05-09, 11:06 AM
The covers and info for Buffy season 8 #27 are out.

Comics Continuum: Dark Horse Comics for August (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0905/08/darkhorseaugust.htm)

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #27

Written by Jane Espenson, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jeanty and Jo Chen.

"Retreat," part 2 of 5. Slayers are out. Vampires are in. Mysterious big bad Twilight has just become a bigger bad -- he can zero in on Team Buffy and her army of Slayers by tracking their use of magic. But Buffy and her allies have taken their submarine -- yes, Buffy picked up one of those ... they're a necessary piece of equip -- straight to the only person she knows with an inside track on suppressing magic: the werewolf Oz.

In the yak-filled mountains of Tibet, Oz has found his peace and formed a new life. The butter tea flows freely at the reunion, where -- among other fun reunion-y things -- Buffy learns that suppressing her demon side could be the biggest risk of all ...

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on August 5.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0905/08/buffy27a.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0905/08/buffy27b.jpg

sueworld
08-05-09, 11:14 AM
I gotta say I find that premise a bit odd. Oz isn't suppressing magic per say, as he's been suppressing his own transformations which although is mystical in origin is a wee bit different from large scale magics in general I'd say. Also not in quite the same scale as the kind of help Buffy would require, surely?

Lovely cover from Chen as usual, and not so pleasant cover from Jeanty as per.

Wolfie Gilmore
08-05-09, 11:30 AM
This sounds exciting - some real meaty stuff. And I don't even like Oz very much. But Oz paired with Buffy, somehow works. (Like that time they were patrolling and Buffy slayed the bench). This feels properly like the middle of everything, like everything's happening. Some of the movements forward in the story haven't felt entirely satisfying, but this does...in theory anyway!

KingofCretins
08-05-09, 12:05 PM
My first instinct is that sue's right, Oz isn't "suppressing magic" per se. But I immediately realized that it still works, because it's still literally the only lead Buffy and the gang would have available under the circumstances mentioned in the the blurb.

Absolutely beautiful cover of Xander and Willow, btw -- it'd be nice if the issue involved them interacting, which we've seen basically nothing of in Season 8. Maybe Xander's the sounding board for her undoubted awkwardness seeing Oz again.

Sosa lola
08-05-09, 12:35 PM
Absolutely beautiful cover of Xander and Willow, btw -- .

That's Dawn, not Willow.

I love the promise about Buffy and her inner demon, good thing they'll be focusing on that.

vampmogs
08-05-09, 01:02 PM
Yeah I thought that was Dawn as well. I must admit it's basically the first time I've had to take another look at a Chen cover to work out who it is I'm looking at. Great cover though, I also love that the submarine is part of the story.

The "inner demon" is a risky continuity problem IMO, so I'll have to wait and see how that whole story develops. I certainly wasn't expecting Oz to be brought into the season this way so that was a nice surprise. I also get giddy at the idea of a Buffy/Oz team up.

Bloodsucker
08-05-09, 01:15 PM
At first glance I thougth it was Willow, but yes, I guess it's Daw when I look more closely.
Really well drawn, especially the picture of Xander.

Oz doesn't seem that recogniseable to me though.

KingofCretins
08-05-09, 01:37 PM
You know, I thought Willow, I see Dawn when you point it out, but I honestly can't quite decide. It's not a knock on the likeness, but I spend a lot of the day staring at Chen's Willow (I have the "The Long Way Home" TPB cover as my wallpaper), and her eyes are narrower in general, and I would believe Jo Chen if she told me Dawn or Willow. The hair is lighter than I would expect for Dawn, but it could just be catching the light. The wardrobe doesn't help. The way she's holding the cup initially said "Willow" to me, but Dawn would probably hold it just as delicately.

PointMan
08-05-09, 08:22 PM
Okay, now for a bit of speculation... not from me mind you. Are Xander and uh whoever it is with him on the chen cover just because or do you think that it indicates they will play some important role in the issue?

Thinking about it, Buffy being the Slayer and Willow a witch they would almost certainly have to work with Oz to learn how to mask their magic. Xander and Dawn being more or less normal would probably be the ones sitting around drinking tea:lol:

Koos
08-05-09, 10:32 PM
Okay, now for a bit of speculation... not from me mind you. Are Xander and uh whoever it is with him on the chen cover just because or do you think that it indicates they will play some important role in the issue?

I think that that is Willow, and think the portrayel of him is by Chen's standards pretty weak.

Anyway, Xander and Willow being on the cover doesn't indicate anything of the issue. At most that they have a part to play in the entire arc.

Nina
08-05-09, 11:11 PM
I really like the Chen cover, for me it's very clear that it is Dawn. Brown hair and I think that face looks a lot like MT's face. Of course when I'm wrong and it's Willow, I think that it's pretty bad.

I don't like the other cover, the gigantic bear with Oz who looks like Andrew with red hair? Nah, I don't need photographic likeness, but the fact that this is already the second time that one of the men (Riley looked too much like Andrew as well, was that one drawn by Jeanty?) looks like Andrew is a bit of a turn-off. Especially because TL, MB and SG are not looking like eachother at all.

PointMan
08-05-09, 11:27 PM
I really like the Chen cover, for me it's very clear that it is Dawn. Brown hair and I think that face looks a lot like MT's face. Of course when I'm wrong and it's Willow, I think that it's pretty bad.

I don't like the other cover, the gigantic bear with Oz who looks like Andrew with red hair? Nah, I don't need photographic likeness, but the fact that this is already the second time that one of the men (Riley looked too much like Andrew as well, was that one drawn by Jeanty?) looks like Andrew is a bit of a turn-off. Especially because TL, MB and SG are not looking like eachother at all.

Odd, it looks like Willow to me. Everything from her very willowesque wardrobe to that slightly quirky half smile thing he does when she's being thoughtful. Plus, isn't Dawns hair longer then that?

vampmogs
09-05-09, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't say the wardrobe is "Willowesque" at all, in fact that's the one of the things that made me sure I was looking at Dawn. Willow wears the longer, hippie dresses these days. Chen has drawn her in them for Issue #10 and issue #26 as well.

If it is Xander/Dawn I think we may know who the "hook-ups" will be.

That's a werewolf Nina :)

Nah Riley hasn't been drawn by Jeanty yet.

PointMan
09-05-09, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't say the wardrobe is "Willowesque" at all, in fact that's the one of the things that made me sure I was looking at Dawn. Willow wears the longer, hippie dresses these days. Chen has drawn her in them for Issue #10 and issue #26 as well.

If it is Xander/Dawn I think we may know who the "hook-ups" will be.

That's a werewolf Nina :)

Nah Riley hasn't been drawn by Jeanty yet.

hookups? There's more then one?

vampmogs
09-05-09, 03:42 AM
Nah I just meant the two people who will be part of the "hook-up." Sorry it's my fault, re-reading what I wrote I could certainly see how you got that impression :)

PointMan
09-05-09, 04:16 AM
Nah I just meant the two people who will be part of the "hook-up." Sorry it's my fault, re-reading what I wrote I could certainly see how you got that impression :)

Ah gotcha. I have to see I really don't want the hookup to be Dawn, because to me that would seem to preclude the possibility of a Buffy/Xander relationship. I mean sleeping with one sister and then the other is just... weird. On the other hand Joss does like to do things that make people go 'eww', the Cordy/Connor thing for one example.

Regarding the Chen cover, its weird, its like one of those pictures where you see something different each time you look at it. Sometimes I look at it and I see Willow, whereas other times I could swear I see Dawn.

I'm gonna have to go with undecided on this one.

Vampire in Rug
09-05-09, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure it's Dawn. I wonder what the significance is of having those two on the cover.

I don't have a problem with the Oz cover. The red hair tells me right away that it's Oz.

PointMan
09-05-09, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's Dawn. I wonder what the significance is of having those two on the cover.

I don't have a problem with the Oz cover. The red hair tells me right away that it's Oz.

It might be because they are the only two who don't have anything to do with Oz. Buffy apparantly needs to get her groove back or whatever and Willow has a history with wolf-boy. Xander and Dawn though, they're probably just sitting back and shooting the breeze.

Koos
09-05-09, 03:07 PM
Odd, it looks like Willow to me. Everything from her very willowesque wardrobe to that slightly quirky half smile thing he does when she's being thoughtful. Plus, isn't Dawns hair longer then that?

Exactly! She's totally Willow to me. Only the little girl has some Dawnesque about her. I do think she's Dawn though.

Anon
09-05-09, 05:41 PM
Exactly! She's totally Willow to me. Only the little girl has some Dawnesque about her. I do think she's Dawn though.Judging by the fact that it is clearly Xander both in the background and sitting on top of the submarine, I would say that the "little girl" and the person who could be Willow or Dawn are the same, meaning that it would have to be Dawn.

oneslikeme
09-05-09, 06:08 PM
looks like dawn to me. doesn't look a thing like willow. brown hair - which we can't tell the length of, so i'm not really sure why people think its short? - a face like MT, and jeans and a button up shirt - much more dawnesque clothing than willowesque.

plus to me there is more evidence of dawn in general. as has been stated, xander and dawn are the only ones who have no reason to see oz. plus willow's been strangely distance from xander, where as dawn and xander have been talky all season.

agreed that oz looks too much like andrew. i don't like it!

I certainly wasn't expecting Oz to be brought into the season this way so that was a nice surprise.

i didn't really know how i thought he would be brought in, but i kept wondering why he would come to them. it makes much more since that they would track him down! lol

Vampire in Rug
09-05-09, 11:47 PM
It's totally Dawn. Notice the way she's wearing blue jeans? And irony.

I'm glad we'll get to see some Yaks. I hope we get a fight scene with a werewolf vs a yak.

AllenGray
11-05-09, 01:29 PM
And I was certain it was Buffy on the cover. Also general excitement for the issue, and specific excitement for Oz. And the yaks.

vampmogs
11-05-09, 02:03 PM
Allie has confirmed over on Slayalive that it was Dawn and made a joke how Chen likes to draw her in unrecognisable positions, which was a reference back to ‘Time of Your Life’ when people thought she looked like Drusilla…. Or in my case, Anne Boleyn from ‘Tudors.’ :D