PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Season 8 Episode So Far?

Nostalgia
15-12-08, 06:42 PM
Choose your favorite season 8 episode so far.. what has been your favorite storyline? Where do you feel it matches up with the other seasons?

My personal favorite is still "No Future For You," I absolutely loved that episode.. and it's still one of my favorites in the entire series.

Nina
15-12-08, 08:32 PM
I'm also going for 'No Future for Me', the writing was amazing and it had more the 'BtVS' feeling than the other episodes and no 'special' things like timetravel.

Chamber005
16-12-08, 12:07 AM
I'm going Long Way Home. I didn't LOVE that Dawn was massive, but I got the joke: "Couldn't do THIS on television". I think it was all one big metaphor.

Despite that, though, I thought it (quite quickly) got really intimate with Buffy and then Xander. Their tone and language was there from the start and the new villain(s) were right there in the first issue.

Good stuff by any standard.

Sosa lola
16-12-08, 12:24 PM
Wolves at the Gate. It felt like a real comedy episode of BtVS, the arc that reminded me the most of TV BtVS along with A Beautiful Sunset. I loved the Xander/Dracula stuff and the fact that by the end we finally got a closure to Xander's butt-monkey-ness.

Saro49
16-12-08, 12:49 PM
Anywhere but here would be my favorite. It brought to the forefront some unresolved issues about Buffy and Willow's relationship and Tara's death. It's a good example of what I love about Season Eight. While it takes advantage of budget-free production it still gives us some of the most intimate character moments since the high school years.

The chain would have to be the runner up.

sueworld
16-12-08, 01:17 PM
Wolves at the Gate. It felt like a real comedy episode of BtVS, the arc that reminded me the most of TV BtVS along with A Beautiful Sunset. I loved the Xander/Dracula stuff and the fact that by the end we finally got a closure to Xander's butt-monkey-ness.

Ditto. Sad old cow that I am I always seem to prefer the issues that appear closest to the TV show. :lol:

*ETA* I have to blank all references to 'Mecha Dawn' though. :lol:

Wolfie Gilmore
16-12-08, 01:37 PM
Wolves at the Gate or No Future For You - probably Wolves at the Gate at a pinch, but I did love the Faithy stuff of NFFY.

Sosa lola
16-12-08, 05:41 PM
*ETA* I have to blank all references to 'Mecha Dawn' though. :lol:

Not all episodes are perfect. Even The Gift had that stupid Olaf being a troll god retcon, but I still love it. :D

sueworld
16-12-08, 05:54 PM
Ha, compared to stomping Mecha Dawn that was nothing. :roll:

CaptainOats
01-01-09, 07:27 AM
I think a beautiful sunset was the best episode in my opinion. No Future for you coming second. When you put up the random and unessecary Buffy/Satsu things going on to me it felt like the old Buffy. On her own fighting the new big bad. Mostly it reminded me kinda of Season 5 which is the best season ever. Her fighting against the ultimate evil which had been Glory at the time. I dunno they've all been pretty good but i think A Beautiful Sunset was the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enisy
06-01-09, 07:34 PM
I think I voted for No Future for You, but after my recent re-read (yesterday + today), I'd rank them...

1) Anywhere But Here
2) No Future for You
3) The Chain
4) Wolves at the Gate
5) A Beautiful Sunset
6) Time of Your Life
7) The Long Way Home
8) After These Messages

vampmogs
06-01-09, 10:51 PM
It was a hard one but I voted for 'A Beautiful Sunset' as my favourite episode. I found it a hauntingly beautiful episode, I love the gothic look of the entire thing and I loved how it was set in the graveyard, there was some really beautiful imagery, especially as Twilight hovers over Buffy on the rooftop. I also very much enjoyed the intro with Buffy's sarcastic "yay me" over the footage of Simone on her rouge tirade and thought the Buffy/Satsu conversation was very well handed.

But I also really enjoyed Faith’s story so it was very hard for me to choose, I'd probably rank them;

1) A Beautiful Sunset
2) No Future For You
3) The Long Way Home
4) Anywhere But Here
5) After These Messages- Flawed, but very heart-warming.
6) Wolves At The Gate
7) Time of Your Life
8) The Chain

But I like all the episodes we've had so far so it was a pretty hard choice all round..

Sosa lola
07-01-09, 02:53 PM
Oooh, love me some top ten fu

1) Wolves at the Gate
2) A Beautiful Sunset
3) No Future for You
4) Anywhere But Here
5) The Chain
6) The Long Way Home
7) After These Messages
8) Time of Your Life

Boltmaiden
07-01-09, 05:00 PM
I picked Wolves at the Gate because I really enjoyed everything from start to finish. It had some beautifully sad moments (like Buffy carrying the dead slayer forgot her name and of course Xander watching another girl he cares for die) but also had wonderful funny and heartwarming moments, and some serious kick ass moments (was I the only one who just got giddy at Dracula in the final fight scene?)

So yeah Wolves at the Gate for me.

Right behind it is No Future for You thanks to Faith and Giles. Plus Gigi was fascinating and scary and I loved how Faith was able to relate to her and ended up wanting to help her. I think it was Buffy that kept it from being my favorite because she honestly ticked me off a couple of times and I was annoyed that she had regressed in her relationships with both Faith and Giles.

Hopefully we will get more information of why that is at some point in the season.

ivory_lines
08-01-09, 01:50 AM
(was I the only one who just got giddy at Dracula in the final fight scene?)

No, you were not the only one. This part was absolutely delightful (not in a sick morbid way but in a happily surprised sort of way). Xander's end conversation with Dracula was great as well.

Right behind it is No Future for You thanks to Faith and Giles. Plus Gigi was fascinating and scary and I loved how Faith was able to relate to her and ended up wanting to help her. I think it was Buffy that kept it from being my favorite because she honestly ticked me off a couple of times and I was annoyed that she had regressed in her relationships with both Faith and Giles.

Hopefully we will get more information of why that is at some point in the season.

No Future for You is my actual favorite. Faith is one of the most interesting characters, and she was portrayed so well in this story arc. It was also awesome to be able to finally delve into her mind and discover her true thoughts about her past interactions with the Mayor, and I also loved her almost effortless bond with Gigi and how she wanted her to see the truth about Roden. The only thing I didn't like about this story was Buffy. I absolutely love Buffy, but she really ticked me off too. Her immediate reaction is always to think the worst of Faith, and she didn't even let Faith explain the circumstances. You'd think that after all this time the battles they'd fought side by side would outweigh the ones with them on opposite sides of the fence, but apparently not.

I hope to see more from Giles and Faith--their future operations could prove extremely interesting.

vampmogs
08-01-09, 06:24 AM
The only thing I didn't like about this story was Buffy. I absolutely love Buffy, but she really ticked me off too. Her immediate reaction is always to think the worst of Faith, and she didn't even let Faith explain the circumstances. You'd think that after all this time the battles they'd fought side by side would outweigh the ones with them on opposite sides of the fence, but apparently not.

Whilst I do believe that this episode along with her overall arc this season, is to show Buffy on a murky path, I cut her quite a bit of slack in this particular case. I think everyone’s too hard on the Buffster in this instance :(

I can understand where she's coming from a great deal. She's learnt to trust Faith again in the past, only to discover Faith betrayed her, so her willingness to assume the worst isn't completely unfounded and unfortunately the price Faith may have to pay for her actions in the past. It reminds me of what Angel said to her in 'Sanctuary,' "You may be ready to change but that doesn't mean the world is ready for you to."

And it's not as if the situation painted Faith in the best light. Buffy gets teleported away against her will and is ambushed by another slayer who starts swinging a sword at her. Just when she gets an upper hand Faith charges in (for reasons we know) and rams her out of a window. Buffy was on defensive mode her, she's being attacked from all corners, I think it's fair she'd react violently to protect herself.

And both girls did being to calm down, after Faith lets her go from under the water Buffy just begins to ask her what's happened before she's teleported out of there by Willow, in real unfortunate timing.

Buffy's done some very morally dubious things this season but I cut her some slack here. If anything I'm more worried about the fact she was so enraged she was about to kill Gigi out of vengeance and the fact that Giles was planning to assassinate a girl was the furthest thing from her mind, that's where I think she looked dodgy. I’m not against killing out of self defence and I actually support Buffy’s actions in ‘Graduation Day Part I’ but she seemed to cross a line when she went to deliver the final blow on Gigi.

Vampire in Rug
08-01-09, 12:51 PM
Thus far into the season, I cast my vote to "Wolves at the Gate". For me, it's the closest thing we've had to an "iconic" episode. We had funny moments, serious moments, sexual moments and heartbreaking moments. Everything we've come to expect from Buffy. We finally had vampires as major villains (loads of them). We had Dracula fill the role of the snarky, rude guy: a role that has been sorely missing since Spike's departure (and Cordelia's departure before that). And we had real growth for the characters, for better or worse. Willow realizing that she can't escape her dodgy past with Saga Vasuki. Xander finally becoming confident enough to break out of Dracula's thrall. Dawn kicking all sorts of ass. Andrew being useful. Plus lesbian action.

EDIT: Also, Buffy's actions towards Faith ang Gigi in "No Future For You" don't bother me at all. As others have said, Buffy was teleported into the battle against her will. She didn't go looking for a fight, she was almost literally dragged into it.

It wasn't a fair fight. She had two opponents, and both were armed (Gigi with a sword, Roden with his spellbook). Buffy had no weapon.

Gigi was using her powers irresponsibly and had already bragged about killing other Slayers. In my opinion Buffy had every right to lop Gigi's head off. She's a spoilt, superpowered murderer with delusions about her own importance in the world. Somebody has to hold Gigi accountable for her actions and I can't think of anybody with more right to do so than the person who gave Gigi her powers to begin with.

As for Faith... somebody mentioned the battles Faith has fought with Buffy should outweigh the battles Faith fought against her. I disagree. Faith fought at Buffy's side for the latter part of season seven when they both had a common enemy. The First had Faith attacked when she was in jail. The First, Caleb, the Harbringers and the Ubervamps were as much Faith's enemys as they were Buffy's or any of the Potentials for that matter. I'm not trying to diminish the good Faith has done, but when you compare it with some of the bad... stealing Buffy's body, messing with two of her boyfriends, threatening her friends and family... Faith hurt Buffy on a personal level that not even Angelus could match. Things are probably never going to be completely okay between those two. I think it's pretty accurate characterization for Buffy to think the worst of Faith when she's tackled out the window of what appears to be an evil-slayer-convention.

ivory_lines
09-01-09, 02:02 AM
As for Faith... somebody mentioned the battles Faith has fought with Buffy should outweigh the battles Faith fought against her. I disagree. Faith fought at Buffy's side for the latter part of season seven when they both had a common enemy. The First had Faith attacked when she was in jail. The First, Caleb, the Harbringers and the Ubervamps were as much Faith's enemys as they were Buffy's or any of the Potentials for that matter. I'm not trying to diminish the good Faith has done, but when you compare it with some of the bad... stealing Buffy's body, messing with two of her boyfriends, threatening her friends and family... Faith hurt Buffy on a personal level that not even Angelus could match. Things are probably never going to be completely okay between those two. I think it's pretty accurate characterization for Buffy to think the worst of Faith when she's tackled out the window of what appears to be an evil-slayer-convention.

It was me that originally said that, and I really see what you mean. Buffy did pop in at quite an inopportune moment, so it was reasonable for her to think what she did. I guess that just because you want two people to be friends again doesn't mean it's the easiest thing to accomplish, especially with a history as heavy as Faith and Buffy's. Silly me. Being idealistic instead of realistic. I have a tendency to do that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I suppose I should have said, "I wish the battles fought together outweighed the battles fought against each other."