PDA

View Full Version : Time of Your Life TBP Product Description- MAJOR SPOILER?

vampmogs
30-10-08, 11:26 AM
Hey :wave: ,

There's a new product description out on Amazon for the 'Time of Your Life' TPB and in it's product description it has a spoiler. It doesn't name anyone specific but check this out;

Product Description
Willow and Buffy head to New York City to unlock the secrets of Buffy's mysterious scythe, when something goes terribly awry. Buffy is propelled into a dystopian future where there's only one Slayer-Fray, the title character of Joss Whedon's 2001 series, the first comic he ever wrote. Their uneasy alliance falls apart, leading to the death of a major character from the TV series, while back in the twenty-first century, the Scotland base falls prey to a mystical bomb courtesy of the Biggest Bad-Twilight.

Death of a major character from the TV series? Who are we thinking here? Should we be worried?

My best guess, future Willow, she count as a major character after all, and we'll still have Willow in the present...

Vamps :)

Nina
30-10-08, 11:32 AM
I'm almost sure that it will be future Willow. And they probably make the Fray-world an AU. So 'our' Willow will be save, and probably stay that way. It doesn't really excite/scare me to be honest.

Wolfie Gilmore
30-10-08, 11:39 AM
Future Willow sounds right. Though that is some serious cheating going on if it is. Cake and eat it-yness.

Unless someone else comes through the rift? Kennedy? Captain Jack? No wait, wrong rift.

vampmogs
30-10-08, 11:42 AM
I'm almost sure that it will be future Willow. And they probably make the Fray-world an AU. So 'our' Willow will be save, and probably stay that way. It doesn't really excite/scare me to be honest.

They don't need to make Fray's world an alternate universe to keep present Willow safe ever if future Willow does die. Future Willow is Willow in the future, Buffy's hopped timelines and is dealing with Willow of that time, seeing as how it's not the past it shouldn't have any effect on present Willow as technically it hasn't happened yet.

The only effect it should have on present Willow is when Buffy comes back and has to deal with her, after being confronted with what Willow “inevitably” turns into. Though speaking for myself, I’m not one of those people who’ll be upset if Fray’s time is re-written, yeah it’s a great story, but at the end of the day it’s a terribly bleak future for the characters I love and I have no qualms about Joss writing it so that the Scoobies are confronted with this future, but find a way to ultimately avert it.

Wolfie Gilmore
Future Willow sounds right. Though that is some serious cheating going on if it is. Cake and eat it-yness.

Haha :roll: I thought the same thing. Who writes the blurbs anyway, that'd be interesting to know, I wonder if Joss has any say in what gets written? But it's a good twist nevertheless, technically it won't be a lie so people can't cry foul, but it still makes people worried until the issue comes out.. tricky, tricky aren't they? :D

Enisy
30-10-08, 11:43 AM

Yep. Please don't let this series turn into Season 3 of Heroes...

vampmogs
30-10-08, 11:45 AM
Yep. Please don't let this series turn into Season 3 of Heroes...

How do you mean? ... seemingly at a loss, after becoming less and less enchanted with the 'Heroes' franchise...

Enisy
30-10-08, 12:01 PM
I'll just quote the Chicago Tribune:

"Heroes" is not doing a time-jumping story well. Again.

In Monday’s episode of the show, we got a glimpse at where various characters are four years in the future. I guess we're supposed to wonder what happens to make the characters lives turn out so differently. But why should I bother getting invested in who the characters are, in the present or the future? Whenever it's convenient, the writers will just change whatever they feel like changing.

Or Alan Sepinwall:

..."I Am Become Death" briefly had me wondering how all these role reversals came to be before deciding I just didn't care. After all, Future Peter already modified this future once, and our Peter's going to try to change it again, and the chances that we ever actually get to see the characters travel this path and wind up that way are as good as the chance that Masi Oka will ever get to permanently use his deeper Future Hiro voice.

Nina
30-10-08, 12:02 PM
They don't need to make Fray's world an alternate universe to keep present Willow safe ever if future Willow does die. Future Willow is Willow in the future, Buffy's hopped timelines and is dealing with Willow of that time, seeing as how it's not the past it shouldn't have any effect on present Willow as technically it hasn't happened yet.
I know that, but I tried to say that this is probably not even going to be Willow's future. I really think think that they are going to make Fray an AU. So even if she dies, it's probably not how our Willow is going to die. Just like the wishverse, Angel died there ... but 'our' Angel will never die that way.

vampmogs
30-10-08, 12:11 PM
I'll just quote the Chicago Tribune:

"Heroes" is not doing a time-jumping story well. Again.

In Monday’s episode of the show, we got a glimpse at where various characters are four years in the future. I guess we're supposed to wonder what happens to make the characters lives turn out so differently. But why should I bother getting invested in who the characters are, in the present or the future? Whenever it's convenient, the writers will just change whatever they feel like changing.

Or Alan Sepinwall:

..."I Am Become Death" briefly had me wondering how all these role reversals came to be before deciding I just didn't care. After all, Future Peter already modified this future once, and our Peter's going to try to change it again, and the chances that we ever actually get to see the characters travel this path and wind up that way are as good as the chance that Masi Oka will ever get to permanently use his deeper Future Hiro voice.

Ah k, yeah I get what you're mean. I've always been confused by 'Heroes' and the time travel episodes, because it seems like every time there is one, it's a different future not really connected to the other one.. so I don't get it. If it was one consistent future all the time it'd make more sense, but it seems rather pointless to just make up random futures over and over again.

I don't think we need to worry about season eight heading in that direction. There at the most, will be two futures, one we'll never ever probably see. A future that ends up like Fray's world, or a future that's different because Buffy comes back and wants to change how everything plays out. I don't think Joss will be doing another time story, it seems to be a one shot deal to show Fray's verse as it connects with the major arc of the season with the end of slayers.

The point seems to be “here’s what Twilight wants to happen” and “look it happened, what are you going to do about it?” Which seems pretty logical to me, a lot of fans from the moment season eight came out were saying how it shows in Fray that the slayer line does end so Twilight must win, so it had to be addressed at some point.

I know that, but I tried to say that this is probably not even going to be Willow's future. I really think think that they are going to make Fray an AU. So even if she dies, it's probably not how our Willow is going to die. Just like the wishverse, Angel died there ... but 'our' Angel will never die that way.

Yeah I guess I see what you mean with that. I don't know watch 'Doctor Who' for this very reason, time-line stuff screws me up :roll: I just cant wrap my head around it sometimes. I guess that technically would make Fray’s time an “alternate universe.”

Nevertheless, I'll probably still be sad to see Future Willow die (if it even her that does) just like I was when I saw Angel, Xander, Willow, Cordy and Buffy die in 'The Wish.' It's always sad to see your character's die tragically in whatever the circumstance. And I pity Future Willow, she looks incredibly sad, so I think it'll be shown sympathetically if she does die.

Matt
30-10-08, 12:38 PM
Death of a main character from the TV show? Almost definitely got to be FDW, she's in the future, so it doesn't really matter that much, but she's trying to kill both Buffy and Fray and is working with Harth, so it kind of makes sense for Buffy or Fray to kill her when put into that situation.

At least it's not like Heroes, where Buffy's gone into the future to see what happens and then comes back to try and change it and prevent Willow from turning evil.

KingofCretins
30-10-08, 02:08 PM
My guess is that it's Willow. Like, Willow.

If you look at the plans for upcoming episodes, Willow is unaccounted for in any of the upcoming arc of standalones. What's more, we have been told that the one shots deal with reaction to the major event -- we've taken it as given that this means the upcoming major change in 8.21. But wouldn't it also be a non-descript way to to describe the death of a major character?

It's Buffy's books. Kennedy is already on cover art, and plus "major" would sound like a stretch. Giles and Faith haven't been in the arc at all, so it would be really awkward. Xander and Dawn are in the (relatively) lighter "B" plot.

I *hope* it's FDW, but I'm not taking that as a given just because it is obvious and safe, and this is Joss. I'm going to say Willow or FDW is the likeliest by far, with reason to worry about Xander and Dawn. But, since we've had a few spoilers about Xander from Jeanty, and we know that they have an issue in the arc of one-shots planned, I tend to think they are safe.

Matt
30-10-08, 05:58 PM
Gotta say that what KingofCretins said is extremely pausible, it would certainly explain why she isn't spoken about in the next issue after the current arc or even in the next arc, she is a main character so why wouldn't they pair her up with somebody?

#20 could be a sort of memorial, going to back to high school, flashing back to how Willow used to be and how she was now and just because she's on the cover by Chen doesn't necessarily mean anything. #21 would see vampires going public and then have #22 - #25 deal with that and how they all adapt to Willow's death. It may also explain why Oz comes back.

My second guess was FDW, my first being actual Willow, what with them trying to banish magic, it'd be a good place to start, but I was discouraged because I didn't think it was likely they'd kill off a main character this early on, but anything's possible I suppose.

Skippcomet
30-10-08, 06:55 PM
I just remembered something. Didn't either Georges Jeanty or Scott Allie make a comment, either in an interview or at a convention, about how there's going to be an upcoming scene in which a real (male) horse becomes aware of Centaur!Dawn's decidedly equine *ahem* hindquarters, and that Xander and Willow try their best to keep the male horse away from Dawn?

Which suggests to me that present-day Willow will live to die another day. (Sorry to quote a James Bond movie title!) Also, given how much Kennedy seems to love Willow (or at least being with Willow), sending her to evaluate Satsu just a few issues after Willow possibly dies sounds...wrong. (Then again, Joss has shown favoritism before in whose reactions to death of a loved one he's interested in showing....but kill off his admitted favortite character and NOT show any interest in how her girlfriend is grieving? As if, IMO.)

KingofCretins
30-10-08, 07:30 PM
There was that spoiler, but I remember everybody's reaction was so dubious to the very idea of such a tawdry and icky plotline that I have no trouble dismissing it completely as just somebody joking around. Not even a misdirect, just something that was never meant seriously.

Koos
30-10-08, 11:17 PM
Their uneasy alliance falls apart, leading to the death of a major character from the TV series, while back in the twenty-first century, the Scotland base falls prey to a mystical bomb courtesy of the Biggest Bad-Twilight. [/I]

That's not a guess, it is simply stated as a fact: Dark Willow. Okay, it could be Buffy, but considering that Darand kWillow's magic was almost up it is like she is hanging on to live another day. And Buffy dead would be getting old.

Weredog
31-10-08, 05:15 AM
Could they have slipped this in because of the delayed released date? Maybe they're worried the pushback will lose a few readers, so what better way to get readers to get #19 than with a "Somebody you really love will die! Tune in!"

I digress; I believe it's Willow. When I read Saga Vasuki's warning to Willow in #18 for a second time forever ago when it was released, I got a cold vibe that Willow wasn't going to make it past this arc. And from what we know of #20 and beyond, there's nothing disproving it.

#20: The writer mentioned something about how Buffy goes back in her high school days when praying mantis substitute teachers were big bads. This issue could easily, if my theory is true, salute to the Scoobies and the immense loss they've faced for the sake of saving the world in the last eight years.

Buffy Season One: Buffy's view on good and evil was black and white. Demons are evil, The Slayer fights evil.
Buffy Season Eight: Completely morally deficient. Are Slayers evil?

Xander Season One: Could not get the attention of ANY woman he loved.
Xander Season Eight: Is in reciprocal relationships with women, only to lose them in battle (Anya, Renee, Willow + his Slayers)

Giles Season One: Managed the detective work; respected.
Giles Season Eight: Completely estranged from the gang after sharing opposing tactics in battle.

#21: No Willow mention. Also, we've seen this pattern before with another 'major character death'

Joyce: "The Body" (Death) > "Forever" (Scoobies grieve) > "Intervention" (Readers remember to smile again)

Willow: "Time of Your Life" (Death) > "After These Messages" (Scoobies grieve) > "Harmonic Divergence" (Smile)

#22: Kennedy in Tokyo? Without Willow?

Oz Arc: He's back. I can't see a better time for us to be reunited with the werewolf when he learns of Willow's death.

I could be way off my game and Andrew is the one who gets killed off -- I don't know! We'll find out soon! :2party: ONE MORE WEEK!

tiger_fan
31-10-08, 05:56 AM
While it would be more surprising to have present Willow killed I don't think it will be. I think it will be FDW. It makes the most sense. Kind of a copout, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out and how it effects Buffy.

I just remembered something. Didn't either Georges Jeanty or Scott Allie make a comment, either in an interview or at a convention, about how there's going to be an upcoming scene in which a real (male) horse becomes aware of Centaur!Dawn's decidedly equine *ahem* hindquarters, and that Xander and Willow try their best to keep the male horse away from Dawn?

Right. Here's the whole quote from a convention report...

The next thing I wrote down was about the Dawn-as-a-centaur thing, which I think Georges said he hasn't drawn yet, or at least not in an issue that has come out yet. Someone asked how she must feel about being able to wear a shirt but then still having her horse parts all naked. Apparently, in an upcoming issue, the naked horse parts become... an issue... when a male horse sort of smells her out and becomes interested. Dawn is indignant and Xander and Willow have to "c.ockblock the horse."

So I would take that as Willow being part of the story some point in the coming issues.

vampmogs
31-10-08, 09:46 AM
You guys have got me worried about Willow now, it does actually sound like it could be possible. Poor Willow, poor Scobies, I'll be devestated if it happens. I agree with Weredog, there does seem to be a vibe of uncertainty regarding her character this season.

Nina
31-10-08, 11:32 AM
Is it weird if I think that it won't happen because it's such a random moment? I can't imagine that they kill off one of the scoobies in another moment than the finale. Maybe it's another mystical death, just like Kennedy?

But I still think that it's about the future Willow.

Wolfie Gilmore
31-10-08, 12:39 PM
Unless present Willow either travels to the future to help Buffy, or FDW somehow wipes herself out of the timeline (wishing to prevent what she does, perhaps?) then I think Willow's safe. Not that either of those things can't happen of course...but part of me thinks that it won't. Killing Willow off so early in proceedings, before Twilight really kicks off, seems a waste plotwise and character wise. There's so many tensions still to play out, and I really want to see her have a crack at Twilight. Or at least have a proper meeting with the feller - a confrontation between Willow "I am the Magicks" Rosenburg and the guy who wants to end magic seems fitting, non?

vampmogs
31-10-08, 12:46 PM
Perhaps they could even share mutual distaste at some of Buffy's activities hmm...?

It's more than likely that it is Future Willow. If Buffy does end up killing her though.. boy what a strain it may have on the Buffy/Willow relationship in the present. Buffy remembers killing her, she's seen what Willow has become and I'm betting if Willow finds out Buffy killed her, it'll make things even more awkward between the both of them.

dinamo
31-10-08, 01:11 PM
Maybe its Fray who kills FDW when she finds out she spun the truth to her own gain, or that she lied etc? I find it very hard to imagine Buffy killing her, if she does then how can she ever go on having a normal friendship with Present Willow? It'll be hard enough to maintain a normal friendship now she's seen FDW but to kill her would make it impossible to move on from there for a long time.

Plus this FDW does now seen like the Dark Willow from season 6. She's got an entirely different agenda and seems to be much more calm and calculated, rather than kill kill kill. Dark Willow the first time was a one time event that flipped the switch in a huge way that had slowly been building before she'd stopped her magic usage. This Dark Willow form the future is a totally different breed, how Buffy will be able to see past it and be normal with Present Willow i'm not sure.

Saro49
01-11-08, 10:53 AM
If Willow does die I don't think it will be completely permanent (though the effects will be felt) and I also think her death will be an important factor in creating FDW.

Charles
01-11-08, 07:14 PM
Okay so they kill Willow.

Does anyone think she stays dead?

Also Major character from the TV series could also refer to both Warren and Amy since we still don't have any accounting for their whereabouts beyond being shown briefly working with Twilight.

**EDIT**

From the description it seems like 'their uneasy alliance' refers more to Buffy and Fray then Buffy and Willow from the way they worded it.

Chamber005
18-11-08, 10:15 PM
Hm. What if current Willow dies and future Willow comes back to our time?

Wait, no...that'd suck.

Chamber005
21-11-08, 03:23 PM
Hey :wave: ,

There's a new product description out on Amazon for the 'Time of Your Life' TPB and in it's product description it has a spoiler. It doesn't name anyone specific but check this out;

Product Description
Willow and Buffy head to New York City to unlock the secrets of Buffy's mysterious scythe, when something goes terribly awry. Buffy is propelled into a dystopian future where there's only one Slayer-Fray, the title character of Joss Whedon's 2001 series, the first comic he ever wrote. Their uneasy alliance falls apart, leading to the death of a major character from the TV series, while back in the twenty-first century, the Scotland base falls prey to a mystical bomb courtesy of the Biggest Bad-Twilight.

Death of a major character from the TV series? Who are we thinking here? Should we be worried?

My best guess, future Willow, she count as a major character after all, and we'll still have Willow in the present...

Vamps :)

Why isn't the up for pre-order yet, btw??? Wolves at the Gate was up for like MONTHS before it was released.