PDA

View Full Version : How I Met Your Mother

Pages : [1] 2 3

DigitalLeonardo
22-04-08, 05:11 AM
So I know theres a thread in the deadthread section... Buut, I thought I'd make a new one. Hope thats okay, if not - sorry.

So with the Writer's Strike ended and we've gotten some new HIMYM and I gotta say, these have been homeruns.

The latest episode "Sandcastles in the Sand". Though not as amazing as Season 2's "Slap Bet", getting more into Robin's past is so funny. The music video had me cracking up nonstop at just how true they got it.
Also the idea of reverting (or however Marshall called it) again amused me. I think the writers and the cast are really going all out. I hope with these new episode the network will see some of the true potential and bring us a Season 4.

Also, the last scene of the episode SHOCK! Ohh the new 3 episodes will be soo good.

Jenni Lou
22-04-08, 05:33 AM
haha! I was totally gonna make a thread because I freakin' adore this so much! :heart: And they have been building the chemistry hardcore between Robin and Barney so I have anxiously awaiting a payoff for it. Yayz! I've been waiting for this for a very long time. :p

Also the idea of reverting (or however Marshall called it) again amused me.

Revertigo. :roll:

I hope with these new episode the network will see some of the true potential and bring us a Season 4.

I don't know why it is always a bubble show; it's the best sitcom on air right now. It is funny and endearing and I look forward to it every week. I am confident about it getting a fourth season though. :)

Also, the last scene of the episode SHOCK! Ohh the new 3 episodes will be soo good.

Totally. I knew it had to be coming; I didn't expect it for another episode or two though!!

DigitalLeonardo
22-04-08, 05:59 AM
haha! I was totally gonna make a thread because I freakin' adore this so much! :heart: And they have been building the chemistry hardcore between Robin and Barney so I have anxiously awaiting a payoff for it. Yayz! I've been waiting for this for a very long time. :p

Revertigo. :roll:

I don't know why it is always a bubble show; it's the best sitcom on air right now. It is funny and endearing and I look forward to it every week. I am confident about it getting a fourth season though. :)

Totally. I knew it had to be coming; I didn't expect it for another episode or two though!!

At first I thought they wern't going to be making out at the end, cause it just seemed to obvious of a joke so when they started the music and then started making out I was shocked. A great reveal :xd And from what I've read, this is gunna make a rift between Ted and Barney.

Revertigo - oh god Alyson Hannigan just cracked me up. And Ted, I would love to see Michelle pop up again just for the humor of it. It's hard to decide who is my favorite, it just keeps changing every week. First it was Lily, then Ted, then Robin and it just keeps going back and forth. Its great to see the characters getting even amounts of screentime. Unlike alot of shows :coughveronicamarscough: :coughheroescough: currently on tv.

Also, does anyone know if Sarah Chalke is gunna be poping up again?

Cause in "The Chain of Screaming" it was mentioned that Ted and Stella were still dating. Though it looks like Scrubs is getting a season 8. Maybe they'll recast her? Cause It'd be a bit off putting if they just dropped the character.

Or did I miss something?

Also, a side note. Did anyone else kinda really enjoy Britney Spears? I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I gotta say she really amuzed me.

Yeah and that surprises me that every season seems to be on the bubble. What else is on right now? Really nothing funny. Though I do enjoy The Big Bang Theory... But HIMYM is still just the best and it needs a few more seasons.

Jenni Lou
22-04-08, 06:12 AM
Also, does anyone know if Sarah Chalke is gunna be poping up again?

Yes. For at least one more episode. Possibly more. The contract is already done. I actually read that at both Ausiello and Kristin.

And Scrubs s8 isn't actually a bad scheduling conflict. As I understand it, that 18 episode season will be completed before it even airs. So Scrubs should be done shottong by the end of the summer, I believe. It's an unusual thing, I know. But Scrubs is an unusual case given it was in its already final season, only to be given 18 additional more episodes to air on ABC. So weird. :p

Also, a side note. Did anyone else kinda really enjoy Britney Spears? I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I gotta say she really amuzed me.

You know, she wasn't bad. :) I was put off by the news of her guest appearance because I'm not a fan of stunt casting--particularly on a show like this--but I think it helped that the character was already written as opposed to it haven been written specifically for her, if you know what I mean. She played it fine and I didn't feel distracted by her performance as I suspected I might have been. SO I didn't mind her in the episode. :)

DigitalLeonardo
23-04-08, 04:54 AM
Well thats good news that you didn't mind her, cause looks like Britney will be making a round 2 apperance on the series.

Britney Spears is returning to How I Met Your Mother, a source tells PEOPLE.

“The show is ecstatic and so is Britney,” a source said. “She had so much fun the first time around she really wanted to come back. It was a mutual decision to work together more.”

The singer/actress will do one episode, the source says. Fox studios would not confirm the appearance.

Spears, 26, appeared on the March 24 episode, playing a receptionist at a dermatologist’s office who fell for one of the show’s main characters, played by Josh Radnor. She received wide accolades for the spot.

“She was hilarious in the table-read, and I got to see her do the run-through as well, and she was great,” cast member Jason Segel said.
people.com (http://tvwatch.people.com/2008/04/19/excusive-britney-returning-to-how-i-met-your-mother/)

I dunno if this means that the series has been picked up for another season? Since she can't be in the next few episodes cause they must be filmed by now.

Jenni Lou
23-04-08, 05:17 AM
I dunno if this means that the series has been picked up for another season? Since she can't be in the next few episodes cause they must be filmed by now.

No, they aren't finished filming yet. IN fact, Sarah Chalke is filming her next episode just this week, I read. Ausiello:

The Emmy-worthy Scrubs cutup is due back on the Mother set this week to begin work on this season's third-to-last episode.

I still can't figure out just how many eps the season will be made up of! This past on was 16...from what spoilers I have read it seems Chalke will appear in 18. So I guess....20 eps for this season? Not bad! Considering the strike whittled other series down much more than that! :)

DigitalLeonardo
23-04-08, 05:36 AM
Ohh, okay. I had a little bit of high hope, but I'm still happy to hear that Sarah is filming her ep. I do hope she is a recurring character for a fourth season, though we know she won't be Ted's wife... Unless the daughter we see in the future is just is stepdaughter?

Jenni Lou
23-04-08, 06:01 AM
though we know she won't be Ted's wife... Unless the daughter we see in the future is just is stepdaughter?

I actually read something about that earlier this week. And an easy answer to that is that Stella's daughter just isn't listening to the story. Perhaps just his own children are. Though, to me, that sounds awfully cruel to exclude the stepdaughter. :lol:

DigitalLeonardo
23-04-08, 06:09 AM
I actually read something about that earlier this week. And an easy answer to that is that Stella's daughter just isn't listening to the story. Perhaps just his own children are. Though, to me, that sounds awfully cruel to exclude the stepdaughter. :lol:

I was thinking about that option too. She would be out of the house, if she was 8 years old in the episode, and the future takes place in 2030, she was would be 30 years old... Which sounds really odd, but right.

litzie
28-04-08, 06:51 PM
I was thinking about that option too. She would be out of the house, if she was 8 years old in the episode, and the future takes place in 2030, she was would be 30 years old... Which sounds really odd, but right.

But if that were the case, the kids would already know that this was their mother - because they would recognise their sister as the daughter in the story, you know? So I think it can't be her.

I'm really enjoying the post-strike episodes, which I think are a lot stronger on average than the earlier part of the season (though I loved How I Met Everyone Else and The Platinum Rule).

I was really surprised by the almost universally positive reaction to Barney and Robin on teh internets...I looked at some other boards as well, and everyone seemed all woo! Which...not that I'm going boo, but...I'm not sure. I don't really want himym to turn into friends, with everybody dating everybody else. I guess I'm just waiting to see how they handle the fallout.

And on that note...woo for an episode tonight! Though I don't get to watch it until tomorrow...

Jenni Lou
28-04-08, 07:15 PM
I was really surprised by the almost universally positive reaction to Barney and Robin on teh internets...I looked at some other boards as well, and everyone seemed all woo! Which...not that I'm going boo, but...I'm not sure. I don't really want himym to turn into friends, with everybody dating everybody else. I guess I'm just waiting to see how they handle the fallout.

Very true! It has gotten an amazing response. There are only a few people I have seen who do not like the prospect at all.

It doesn't bother me. I've had a soft spot for B/R since basically the beginning of the series. And in fact, I've often wondered if "Aunt Robin" and "Uncle Barney" aren't actually married in the future. I have to say...ti's all going to be in how they handle the storyline. But I have pretty good faith in the writers so I feel good about it.

DigitalLeonardo
28-04-08, 08:38 PM
I think I fell in love with them as a couple from the moment they lazer tagged together. I dunno, there was just this amazing connection and that was a great episode for the two characters. I dunno how I feel of them hooking up and getting married, just the wild sex fling seems like the way to go - I don't want it to turn into a Monica/Chandler.

I've also been rewatching my DVDs, since these new episodes have totaly reinspired me - I kinda lost that love during the start of the season. And for a season 4 I would like to see Robin's sister again (Lucy Hale) and Barney's brother (Wayne Brady). Also more of Marshall's family and their gummybear salad XD!

Jenni Lou
28-04-08, 08:49 PM
Well, Ausiello and Kristin are reporting that Britney Spears will reprise her role as Abby in the 19th episode. Description:

"In 'Everything Must Go,' Barney and Abby realize that they have one thing in common: their mutual hatred of Ted. The new 'couple' decides to go to the bar to flaunt their new relationship in Teds face. Desperate to get a rise out of his former pal, Barney pops a surprising question to Abby."

I don't like Britney. However, she wasn't bad in her role here and while I hate the idea of stunt casting, I can deal with her reprisal. She wasn't awful like I thought she was going to be and this episode sounds like it can be fun. Kristin has a bit more info if you want to visit her blog.

DigitalLeonardo
28-04-08, 10:00 PM
Well, Ausiello and Kristin are reporting that Britney Spears will reprise her role as Abby in the 19th episode. Description:

"In 'Everything Must Go,' Barney and Abby realize that they have one thing in common: their mutual hatred of Ted. The new 'couple' decides to go to the bar to flaunt their new relationship in Teds face. Desperate to get a rise out of his former pal, Barney pops a surprising question to Abby."

I don't like Britney. However, she wasn't bad in her role here and while I hate the idea of stunt casting, I can deal with her reprisal. She wasn't awful like I thought she was going to be and this episode sounds like it can be fun. Kristin has a bit more info if you want to visit her blog.

Sounds promising.

Though I am much more interested in the Barney/Ted aspect and how Ted's relationship with Robin will be. I loved that lil twist and I just don't know how everyone's gunna recover.

I do think how ever Britney Spears and Neil Patrick Harris will work well. Both are very comedic and I think they will work wonders off each other.

It will be good to have Britney's name on the series, and though I agree it is a bit of stunt casting, it will for sure bring veiwers in. With the rollercoaster BS life she is having, to see her on a sitcom will bring people in. And lucky for the real fans of the show, she is only adding and not distracting from the main characters and storylines - which I thought she would do in her first appearnce.

Jenni Lou
28-04-08, 10:14 PM
It will be good to have Britney's name on the series, and though I agree it is a bit of stunt casting, it will for sure bring veiwers in. With the rollercoaster BS life she is having, to see her on a sitcom will bring people in. And lucky for the real fans of the show, she is only adding and not distracting from the main characters and storylines - which I thought she would do in her first appearnce.

Agreed. And she did help bring in an extra million viewers last time. Which totally helps in securing a fourth season! :)

DigitalLeonardo
29-04-08, 05:28 AM
I really don't know what to think of this episode. I would go with a low point of the season, though the concept was good - I don't think it lived to its potential. I am hoping the following few episodes make up for it.

The goat thing was weird, but future Ted's comment shocked me!

So it looks like Robin will be moving in some time next year, which has me more excited for a season 4! Though raises more questions about their relationship and I guess Marshall and Lily will be moving out. Which is upsetting cause there is a great dimnamic between these characters living together.

Also the Ted/Barney. It was great to see such raw emotion and something we really havn't seen on the series. But I know it will all work out - it has too, or else he wouldn't refer to him as Uncle Barney to his children.

So we got like three episodes left, and I hope they pick up.

Jenni Lou
29-04-08, 05:43 AM
It was alright! Not bad. Not the best. But above mediocre, I think. There was one part that actually made me laugh out loud while I was watching it all alone but I can't remember what it was. :/

I thought Barney freaking out was funny and also sweet. There are certain things he cares about and being a good bro is one of the top ones.

So it looks like Robin will be moving in some time next year, which has me more excited for a season 4!

Did I miss something? :s What did Future Ted say that implies that? I have the ep on my DVR...I might have to check it because I don't recall hearing that!

DigitalLeonardo
29-04-08, 06:23 AM
Did I miss something? :s What did Future Ted say that implies that? I have the ep on my DVR...I might have to check it because I don't recall hearing that!

I guess, Barney did carry the episode.

At the end, he's like "the goat started chewing on aunt Robin's wash towel. Oh wait - Robin hand't moved in yet. That must have been my 31st birthday. Never mind."

Something along the lines. I'm PRETTY sure thats what he said.

Though I gotta say you should rewatch the last scene, cause I am hoping I am not wrong.

Jenni Lou
29-04-08, 06:46 AM
Though I gotta say you should rewatch the last scene, cause I am hoping I am not wrong.

I just did rewatch the end. You're right! :xd

Interesting. And an obvious setup for what's to come next season. :)

Wolfie Gilmore
01-05-08, 02:16 PM
I am so in love with Barney and Robin as a potential couple. Please let them follow up this awesome development with much more awesomeness. :D He can be her wing man!

Jenni Lou
01-05-08, 03:57 PM
Yeah, it's a totally bitchin' pairing! :lol: I love it because she is such a commitment-phobe and he is such an anti-monagomist. I think it would be fun to watch.

And this occurred to me last night: I'm a little mad at Robin for not letting Barney know that she told Ted. That's a little wrong, imo. The guy needed a heads up. They are all friends and she should have known better. She could have just called him real quick to let him know.

Wolfie Gilmore
01-05-08, 04:02 PM
[
Yeah, it's a totally bitchin' pairing! :lol: I love it because she is such a commitment-phobe and he is such an anti-monagomist. I think it would be fun to watch.

I cant help feeling that two commitment phobes might find it easier to commit together because theyd be less scared of being trapped. Looking forward to the next one (hopefully going to get to see it tonight on my gfs itunes!).

And this occurred to me last night: I'm a little mad at Robin for not letting Barney know that she told Ted. That's a little wrong, imo. The guy needed a heads up. They are all friends and she should have known better. She could have just called him real quick to let him know.

I missed the very end I think, must watch again!

buffyholic
02-05-08, 01:16 PM
I just saw the first season of HIMYM and it is very good. Aly is a good comedian, I really like Corbin Smoulders(Robin) but the winner here, the ultimate joy of the show is Neil Patrick Harris. He is super hilarious.

I cant wait for the second season.

Jenni Lou
02-05-08, 05:04 PM
So glad you found the show! It's lots of fun but also has some poignant moments as well. I agree that NPH is the highlight; he plays Barney so well and I was thrilled that he was nominated for an Emmy for his performance....it's nice that the show received some recognition for it sheer awesomeness. Definitely check out season two. It's fantastic and you'll be sure to love Robin Sparkles! :lol:

litzie
03-05-08, 03:12 PM
I loved this past episode, though I was SO sad for barney at the end! aww, poor barney! I couldn't decide today who I was more sad for - a Boris-run London, or Barney! I think barney won. And ted is such an asshat, can I just say?

I think one of my favorite things about this show is the way they mess with storytelling. The voiceover, far from being an annoying add on or an exposition device, becomes it's own awesome joke.

My favorite example of this is in season one, in the episode Okay Awesome, when they go to the club and marshall gets elbowed in the face, and right before he gets elbowed, voiceover ted goes, Oh there's this really important thing I forgot to tell you, marshall just got a temporary crown put in, and then you see the elbow to the face. I just love that because that's how you really tell a story - you're always filling in the important bits at the last second, and telling things wrong, and all that.

Anyways, the reason I brought this up today was that Monday's episode did that so well again with the thing with the goat! I loved that he kept building it up and building it up, and then got there and realized it wasn't the right story at all! It was awesomeness! yay.

But can I say, if this show does not get renewed and we never find out what happened with the goat - I will definitely cry!

Jenni Lou
03-05-08, 03:45 PM
Oh, agreed! One of my fave things about the show is how they mess with time for its storytelling. Like, the whole show is actually a flashback but then there flashbacks within flashbacks and it just sort of jumps all over. And you're right...that is how you tell a story...if you forget something, you just interject it whenever you remember it! :lol:

Dorian's Kitten
04-05-08, 03:27 AM
Yes! The goat thing was excellent.

I too am really hoping for another season. We need to know who was carrying the umbrella. Also, it's the only show where I feel like I see myself in it. Not like I think I'm on the show, but I recognize my own neuroses in the characters. I'd really miss that.

Also-I think that I like Barney/Robin. It kinda works.

buffyholic
05-05-08, 02:53 PM
I feel like Im already friends with them. I imagine myself hanging out with them too.

Speaking about episodes, I just started season two. "The Scorpion and the Toad" was amazing. It had comedy but it has sadness too because of Marshall and Lily. The last scene with Aly spilling a drink on Barney was freaking awesome!

Wolfie Gilmore
06-05-08, 10:27 AM
I want to be Barney. I want to be able to wake up in a dumpster, covered in rubbish, still thinking, "I am awesome".

buffyholic
08-05-08, 04:39 PM
What are your thoughts about season 1? Loved it? Or not really?
I would really like to hear you guys, before I give my opinion.

Jenni Lou
08-05-08, 07:23 PM
Gosh, it's been awhile since I watched s1, although I did recently rewatch about four eps or so a few weeks back. I mean, the whole series is pretty good. Ands as with most shows, they are just trying to find their way in season one. I think I prefer season two because the show seems to have founds its stride but 1 is certainly pretty wonderful as well. There are some great highlights....Like I really like "The Pineapple Incident," Okay, Awesome," Zip, Zip, Zip," "Drumroll, Please" and "Slutty Pumpkin."

EndersWrath
12-05-08, 11:27 AM
God do I love this show. I catch myself saying "I love this show way too much" while watching it :lol:

Buuut, I JUST caught up with the last couple of eps of Season 3 and I am beyond happy with it!

I have been waiting for some type of Barney/Robin pairing since 'Zip, Zip, Zip'. I mean how awesome were they together? I knew Robin would never be the Mother because well Ted said so :lol: so I never grew too attached to the Robin/Ted relationship, though I do think they are super cute together. So I am completely elated for Robin/Barney.. I just hope they go into it more in Season 4.

I really liked Season 1, I mean it did hook me after all, but Season 2 is by far superior. I mean c'mon, the infamous Slap Bet! And ROBIN SPARKLES!! She so made me want to go to the mall! :roll:

I think in the dictionary there should be a spot for Legen- wait for it - dary! and next to it a picture of Barney.

Fave characters though? I think it might be Robin. Though Barney and Lily really come close. I just freakin love NPH. He is truely Legen- i hope you're not lactose intolerant because wait for it - dary, Legendary! God that never gets old :roll:

Though I do love me some Marshall too, but after seeing 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' I can't help but just look at him in a totally different way! :roll:

Second best sitcom on the air. First goes to The Office of course ;) Though I never really thought of The Office as a sitcom... so HIMYM wins! :D

buffyholic
12-05-08, 01:16 PM
My favourite character is Barney, hands down! The guy is just so freaking hilarious and amazing. Second one, Robin and then Ted and Lily.

Season one is very good. They were still finding their path but really cool. Humor but also very good and touching moments.
"Slutty Pumpkin" was really funny and can you tell me the name of the episode where Robin falls down into horse poo? I dont remember but it was great.
Ive only seen four episodes of season two but I gotta say that I love Robin/Ted pairing and Lilys hair is great.

litzie
12-05-08, 02:08 PM
Barney: "Step into my web"...it's in Return of the shirt. Love that episode.

I love all of it, though I do think season 2 is slightly better. My favorites from s1 are Okay Awesome! (favorite moment - marshall getting hit in the face), the pineapple incident (best tv representation of a drunken night out, EVER), the duel, zip, zip, zip ("when I look into your eyes, I can see into your soul") and drumroll please (love Amy Acker as a tequilla slut).

I've been insanely checking the web to see if anyone knows if the show's getting renewed...I just read that someone thinks we'll find out during the upfronts, which...I think are this week?

Wolfie Gilmore
12-05-08, 02:22 PM
My favourite character, definitely Barney. Least favourite, Ted. He’s an asshat. But he’s the glue that holds it all together, so I forgive him. I can’t decide between Robin, Marshall and Lilly for second place. They’re all made of awesome. I didn’t like Robin at first but she grew on me more and more. Love all the Canada gags…and, of course, Robin Sparkles (aboot!). Lilly and Marshall work almost like one character for me – their best moments involve both of them, imo.

litzie
12-05-08, 02:43 PM
Least favourite, Ted. He’s an asshat.
Potentially that's why I enjoy Return of the Shirt so much - get to see that angry girl from House beating the crap out of ted!

Jenni Lou
12-05-08, 06:25 PM
1. Barney is also my fave. But it's not so much the character as it is the way that NPH portrays him. His comedic timing is fantastic and his delivery is spot on. He just puts a lot into the character through facial expressions and intonation. Th mark of a great actor! :)

2. I think s4 is pretty much a lock, especially with a second Britney appearance tonight. And this is also a case where the strike has helped established bubble shows. The pilot season wasn't as fruitful as it is in other years when there is no strike and therefore, the networks are more inclined to keep shows they might otherwise have considered canceling.

litzie
12-05-08, 06:57 PM
2. I think s4 is pretty much a lock, especially with a second Britney appearance tonight. And this is also a case where the strike has helped established bubble shows. The pilot season wasn't as fruitful as it is in other years when there is no strike and therefore, the networks are more inclined to keep shows they might otherwise have considered canceling.

I totally and completely want you to convince me. I'm just a bit skittish when it comes to network cancellations...and CBS is giving me the heart trouble because they renewed Big Bang Theory (which, while funny, ain't got NOTHIN' on himym) and some other comedies early...and I definitely don't want another Veronica Mars where the last season was so busy trying to get ratings that it forgot to tell a story. Not that I think that would happen on himym, but like I said...I'm just a bit skittish.

DigitalLeonardo
12-05-08, 08:41 PM
So I have a question for people. A co-worker and I were talking about Sarah Chalke (Stella) becoming a series regular. Though I love the actress (I thought she was great in Roseanne) I think if she did become a series regular i would take away from another of the cast - and sadly I think it would be Robin.

I think if Stella was a recurring character we'd get a great balance of her with out losing any attention on Robin or any other characer.

People's thoughts?

Jenni Lou
12-05-08, 09:30 PM
I couldn't see her jumping to being a series regular, to be honest. Not yet, at least. I can certainly see her coming in on a recurring basis, showing up for every other episode or two. But not more than that at this point. The cast dynamic is too strong to meddle with, imo.

EndersWrath
13-05-08, 08:59 AM
So I have a question for people. A co-worker and I were talking about Sarah Chalke (Stella) becoming a series regular. Though I love the actress (I thought she was great in Roseanne) I think if she did become a series regular i would take away from another of the cast - and sadly I think it would be Robin.

I think if Stella was a recurring character we'd get a great balance of her with out losing any attention on Robin or any other characer.

People's thoughts?

Hmm. I don't really see her as a regular but definitely as a major reccuring. I mean I just don't see her in the big group dynamic yet so I can't see it happening.

If she did, I really don't see it taking away from Robin. She is just too big of a part of the show. Plus I would be extremely upset as I love her waaaaay too much.

So for tonights episode...
It was pretty good but seemed REALLY short for some reason. I loved me some Lily and Marshall in the episode. They were just great. Lily can soothe dogs and kill birds... what an awesome talent :roll:

Barney and Abbey kinda annoyed me, but in a humorous way. I didn't mind Britney, I thought she did a pretty decent job actually. I couldn't help but laugh at their scenes because of how much NPH despises that the writers are using the celeb tool to pool in more ratings. Oh well, she did good.

Ted and his red boots! Soooo not legendary! But oh so great!

I loved Robin trying to steal Lily's clothes :xd Especially Lily's two syllable 'Daaamn' dress. :roll: Love me some Lily!

AND EVERYONE GO! Though the prices are super SUPER high, I think its pretty cool. I mean they even have a chance for you to meet the cast and everything. Though if you read the terms, they really go about it half-assed like. Like for real. They can't guarentee anything and expect you to pay $2500 at LEAST. I know it's for charity but cmon! That is a LOT of money.

http://lilyandmarshallselltheirstuff.com/

Jenni Lou
13-05-08, 07:42 PM
The show has been renewed so we can all rejoice!!! :celebration: However, am sure just as many people will be disappointed that Moonlight has been canceled. :/

As for the last ep...meh....kinda lame. Britney wasn't terrible again, so that's cool. ANd it was nice to get some Marshall.Lily action because it feels like it's been a little while for that. But overall? Not the best. Too bad too. The people tuning into watch Britney shouldn't be too impressed with the show. Oh well.

DigitalLeonardo
14-05-08, 06:23 AM
Oh Jenni Lou that is FANTASTIC news! You've made me the happiest boy in the world!

So I watched the episode today and well, Britney wasn't as good as her first apperance. Though she had a spark, I just wasn't a fan of her this time round. But saying that I did enjoy the episode. I say it was one of my favorite this season. I loved he idea of Lily having to sell her suff - Robin just cracked me up non-stop. "It's still in the family!". I was really happy with this episode and I think if Brit fans watched, we go a few new hooked fans.

I've also been rewatching some episodes, and I gotta say I wish I watched "The Bracket" first before I watched this episode.

Also pictures of the season 3 DVD are up, though I don't really like it. It doesn't match with the first two seasons...

litzie
14-05-08, 09:55 AM
Seriously! That is of the awesome. In fact, I think that Barney would have something to say about that...I think he might suggest that it was LEGEN (wait for it and now we know we can wait for it cuz there's a fourth season!) DARY.

I enjoyed the ep, but not Brittney. Hopefully now that they've renewed the show, I hope they ease off on the celeb casting. Is a bit lame. And the only way Brittney could ever act is if she's acting like someone who can't act...she just barely works as abby, just barely.

Though I was thinking...I'm not sure that ep (and Ten Sessions) would have been better if Abby was played by some random person. Because...part of the funniness was having Brittney Spears playing an extremely lame character who's still probably cooler than she is in real life! heh.

I did like the reveal that Barney's stalker was only doing it because he slept with her and didn't call her - after the Bracket, I really enjoyed that.

I am kind of annoyed at the rest of the gang for letting ted's ban on Barney apply to them as well - what, they're not his friends? lame. poor barney!

And. Dude. Pulling. Them. Off. hehehehehe! Ted should always wear those boots.

Wolfie Gilmore
14-05-08, 10:03 AM
Pulling.Them. Off! (Is what Ted should do right now.) Seriously though, those guys weren't well dressed, so he shouldn't be so cocky about their fashion blessing.

Poor Lilly. She really does have fabulous clothes and it would be sad to see them all go. But glad that someone liked her paintings. I loved the bit where Robin was kinda curled up like a little baby rabbit in a pile of Lilly's clothing, like she just wanted to roll in it gleefully, or live there or something.

Does this mean their appartment will have a flat floor now? Though, it will still smell like ass.

I still feel sorry for Barney. Whatever kind of an ass he is, Ted always knew he was an ass, so it's irritating of him to suddenly get on his high horse when he's been benefiting from the awesome all these years :D But Barney will bounce back and become Uncle Barney in the end, so there must be some kind of a reconcilliation.... right?

Totally agree re the others hanging out with him. I wanna see Lilly hanging with him and being his wing man on the sly. :D

litzie
14-05-08, 10:19 AM
See the boots are just as lame as Ted, so he should wear them everywhere!

I like how Marshall is always just a little bit gay...and how that's generally seen as a positive thing on this show! Yay for that.

slaycandy
14-05-08, 11:55 AM
I have to say it wasn't one of my favourite episodes, :( Britney wasn't as good this time around, so was a little disappointed. But hey. Still enjoyed it.

And 4th season, wooooo! That makes me extremely happy, :D I'd have to hurt someone if the series ended before we found out who the damn mother was! Lol.

Anyone know how many episodes are left this season? I just realised I pretty much knew how many episodes to expect of all the other series I watch, apart from this! :O

*hugs*
SJ
xox

Jenni Lou
14-05-08, 07:37 PM
I am kind of annoyed at the rest of the gang for letting ted's ban on Barney apply to them as well - what, they're not his friends? lame. poor barney!

Agreed. What's the deal with that?! Totally lame, indeed.

See the boots are just as lame as Ted, so he should wear them everywhere!

:rotflmoa: Good one.

Anyone know how many episodes are left this season? I just realised I pretty much knew how many episodes to expect of all the other series I watch, apart from this! :O

Just one more, SJ. The finale's on Monday.

Wolfie Gilmore
14-05-08, 09:35 PM
Hey, I just read some of the TWOP recap of this episode...and that garbage bag website is REAL!

http://www.guyforceshiswifetodressinagarbagebagforthenext threeyears.com/

slaycandy
15-05-08, 12:24 AM
Hey, I just read some of the TWOP recap of this episode...and that garbage bag website is REAL!

http://www.guyforceshiswifetodressinagarbagebagforthenext threeyears.com/

Dude, that totally has to be something they've put online since the ep was written, ;) Otherwise that's just.... weeeiiiiiiiird!!!

And only one more to go, :( Nooo, I'm not ready to let go of ALL my shows, not just yet! It seems that everything is ending again. (At least this one is coming back!)

*sighs*
Oh well!

SJ
xox

Jenni Lou
15-05-08, 01:36 AM
I read the other day that that website wasn't real. So obviously someone just put it up, I think. :)

Yeah, it's the end of the tv season but I', cool because I still have a few more eps of Battlestar Galactica that haven't yet aired and then Weeds and Burn Notice will be coming back. :D

Wolfie Gilmore
15-05-08, 10:53 AM
I read the other day that that website wasn't real. So obviously someone just put it up, I think. :)

D

I love the people that do that sort of thing. I always think, wouldn't it be cool to...then don't get around to it/don't have the tecchie knowhow. So...kudos and thank you, strangers in the internets :D

I wonder if Ted and Barney will make up by the end of the season? I wonder if Britney will continue to think Ted awesome and Lame...I hope she does show up at his flat at 2am. Asshat.

buffyholic
15-05-08, 01:22 PM
Thats great news! Im only on second season but Im glad they decided to renew it. In what episode does Britney guest-star? Is it on the second season?

:2party:

litzie
15-05-08, 01:32 PM
No, it's in the 3rd season, and she guest stars twice: in Ten Sessions, and again in Everything Must Go.

Enjoy the second season! Cuz it rocks! I'm pretty jealous of you getting to watch the last three or so eps of that season for the first time - I think that's my very favorite stretch!

Jenni Lou
15-05-08, 08:07 PM
I'm just happy that other people are coming on board the HIMYM bandwagon. I didn't start watching it myself until about a year ago and I fell in love. It's such an interesting comedy. I don't like laugh tracks very much but it works well enough here. But what I like most about the show is the way it plays with narrative convention and how it is told in a series of flashbacks and flashbacks within flashbacks. It's so fun!

So I'm glad to have new fans for the show! :) And I am also glad that there has been a lively discussion on BF for it. :)

slaycandy
16-05-08, 01:17 AM
Lol, I have to agree, I only got this series on DVD last summer to fill in my summer blues, and very quickly got through s1 and 2, it was awesome, :D But it does have a lot of fun with the narrative, and the characters are perdy damn fantastic too, :D

I have to admit though, I kind of tune out laugh-tracks, so if I stop to think about it, I can never remember what shows have them, and which don't. Yeah, I know, I'm a tad insane, but hey. They don't bug me in that respect, since I can block them out. But some series, they are quite noticeable, and that's when I can't stand them. I'm sorry, I'm in a bit of a rambly mood tonight. My bad.

The end of HIMYM just means I'll need to find something to fill this summer's blues, :(
(Although Psych is back on the air in July, so I'll have that! heh!)

SJ
xox

DigitalLeonardo
16-05-08, 09:18 PM
Weird talking about the laugh track I totaly forgot HIMYM had one... I think I am laughing when the laughtrack is... So I toon it out. I know the one on Friends got a bit overused in the later seasons when the majority wasn't funny.

I've really noticed there is no episode of HIMYM that doesn't get worse after multiple veiwings. I would love to see the series hit a tenth season, though I have doubts, it just seems to be getting a little shafted by CBS - but as long as we get a few more seasons and CBS allows the series to reveal who is under that damn yellow umbrella!

skinless
20-05-08, 03:52 AM
I watched the episode tonight and Gotta say I was impressed. Whens the finale for this show. This wasnt my first episode but it was my first time this season watching. Cant wait to see more

Jenni Lou
20-05-08, 04:57 AM
skinless, tonight's ep was the finale. ;)

I didn't like the first half too much but the second was pretty great. Love the way Barney came running to Ted and the way they reconciled. Also, totally saw Barney's lovey-dovey-ness of Robin coming! But the last scene? What? :lol: I'm excited for next season already though. :)

DigitalLeonardo
20-05-08, 07:26 AM
I gotta say I loved when Robin, Lily and Marshall ran to the hospital, though I kinda figured it would be a "Ted's fine" moment, but it was still funny none the less to see the slow motion!

All in all a great episode, not the strongest season finale, but still a pretty good one. I did enjoy the Barney/Ted stuff, and I am right there with you Jenni Lou - The Barney lovey-dovey-ness SQUEEEEL!!!! But Lily and Marshal, a giant boob in a suit lactating whisky XDD!

I love season finale cliff-hangers, and am glad we are getting a 4th season, cause if that was the series finale I would... well... I would go crazy! Ohhh season 4 come soon!

Wolfie Gilmore
21-05-08, 09:53 AM
This episode made me happy beyond words. Barney running out on the ambassadors/generals/business honchos... brilliant. Barney realising (or acknowledging) that he loves Robin. Brilliant!

Oh, Robin's line about Bryan Adams. Hee! And Sir Scratchuan. Any Canada joke = teh awesome. Don't know why. I've never even been to Canada.... but it's the way they structure it into the show... the fact that Robin is convinced that Canada is the centre of the universe. Hee!

litzie
21-05-08, 09:54 AM
I LOVED that episode. Espec since I watched it after the disappointing badness of the bones finale, but just in general - it was awesome.

My favorite bits:

-how ted was practically ready to reconcile with barney pre-accident (taking barney's dating advice, which he'd never shown any interest in before)

-Lilly's suit up comment when she was pretending Barney was still on the phone

-all of the running to the hospital with the sad music, and then the predictable and yet still awesome reveal of ted sitting up in bed eating jello

-all the Marshall Miracle flashbacks - especially the giant head stuff

-Barney running to ted's side (though I never believed for a second that he wouldn't)

-Ted getting all soppy with Barney (Barney - Can we be friends again ted? Ted - Barney we're more than friends, we're brothers) - awwww!

-Barney's immediate attempt to say that he's a better friend than marshall

-Barney being in love with robin. I especially loved this bit, and how subtle they were with it. I am now totally and completely a fan of that ship. The writers have converted me!

and, the slightly mean version of me: the part where stella dumped ted. Haha!

Wolfie Gilmore
21-05-08, 10:21 AM
I LOVED that episode. Espec since I watched it after the disappointing badness of the bones finale, but just in general - it was awesome.

Yes, it was the perfect antidote, wasn't it?

-Lilly's suit up comment when she was pretending Barney was still on the phone

Bless Lilly. She is a poor, poor liar sometimes.

-all the Marshall Miracle flashbacks - especially the giant head stuff

I want him to get a job as a teacher. Maybe they could open a school together. :D

-Barney running to ted's side (though I never believed for a second that he wouldn't)

I just love that he actually RAN. Awwww. They're brothers 4 EVA. They are bromosexuals (without the sex part).

-Ted getting all soppy with Barney (Barney - Can we be friends again ted? Ted - Barney we're more than friends, we're brothers) - awwww!

There is not enough aww in the world for that. It's all used up. No more awwing over kittens and puppies for at least five years because Barney and Ted just went over the quota. AWWWW!

-Barney's immediate attempt to say that he's a better friend than marshall

Yeah, I like that he didn't stop being Barney just because he was vulnerable.

-Barney being in love with robin. I especially loved this bit, and how subtle they were with it. I am now totally and completely a fan of that ship. The writers have converted me!

They are perfect. But I'm also interested in the idea of Barney keeping it to himself for a bit, the idea that he's not just about getting what he wants... though I'm sure he'll act on it in awful ways at some point and totally stuff things up for a while.

and, the slightly mean version of me: the part where stella dumped ted. Haha!

Ted is an ass. Proposing at that moment? That's just manipulative!

litzie
21-05-08, 10:51 AM
They are bromosexuals

HILARIOUS!!! You are my humor hero, have mentioned that? No one does bad puns like you! :)

DigitalLeonardo
21-05-08, 11:35 AM
This episode made me happy beyond words. Barney running out on the ambassadors/generals/business honchos... brilliant. Barney realising (or acknowledging) that he loves Robin. Brilliant!

Oh, Robin's line about Bryan Adams. Hee! And Sir Scratchuan. Any Canada joke = teh awesome. Don't know why. I've never even been to Canada.... but it's the way they structure it into the show... the fact that Robin is convinced that Canada is the centre of the universe. Hee!

That's because... well it is :2party:

Yes, Robin's canadian jokes rock and they rock more because Colbie Smulders IS Canadian, vancouver-Canadian to be exact which makes her even cooler cause we come from the same home! Er, not home... but what ever, still really makes the character and the fact that she has such a rooted Canadian "sparkle" Past, makes it even funnier.

litzie
21-05-08, 11:46 AM
That's because... well it is :2party:

Yes, Robin's canadian jokes rock and they rock more because Colbie Smulders IS Canadian, vancouver-Canadian to be exact which makes her even cooler cause we come from the same home! Er, not home... but what ever, still really makes the character and the fact that she has such a rooted Canadian "sparkle" Past, makes it even funnier.

I didn't know that! That is AWESOME. It makes all the jokes that much funnier!

This show makes me so happy - I don't know any other show but buffy that I can rewatch to the extent that I rewatch himym...and it's still funny! Every time I watch it, it's funny. Sometimes it gets funnier!

I'm so desperately glad that they renewed it - my life would just not be as awesome without it!

buffyholic
13-06-08, 01:02 PM
I just saw that episode where they all recall the night they lost their virginity and I gotta say that I laughed so hard that my stomach was already hurting, especially when Barney was telling the story of "Dirty Dancing". Really, I laughed like crazy!:roll:

litzie
13-06-08, 01:13 PM
Aww, I love that episode! "You know, Marshall and I have lived in New York a long time, but we waited to go to the Empire State Building with someone we loved..."

And I just love how Lilly and Marshall have no boundaries with Ted! "Let's do it again!" "Please don't!" hehe!

Oh, and I love Robin's story - "There were signs" - :)

DigitalLeonardo
13-06-08, 09:28 PM
I just saw that episode where they all recall the night they lost their virginity and I gotta say that I laughed so hard that my stomach was already hurting, especially when Barney was telling the story of "Dirty Dancing". Really, I laughed like crazy!:roll:

Omg! I know Barney's head in the scene, I remember when I first watched it I couldn't stop laughing and everytime I rewatch it I still keep laughing.

Moments like that is why HIMYM Rocks!

Though my favorite is when Ted tells his story, but the real version when the girl is all guyish and Ted is all "I love you". Oh and Robin's XD No, I don't have a favorite I just love that episode.

buffyholic
07-07-08, 12:58 PM
Im almost finishing S2, next Sunday it will be the final 2. Barney just rocks! You have no idea how much I laughed last night, at the part when Barney went to the Price is Right and tried to tell Bob Barker he was his son! Hilarious!
This season is pretty good, I really like Robin, Lily and Barney. Ted is okay but Im not very excited about Marshall, he seems a little hallow.

Jenni Lou
07-07-08, 09:03 PM
I like Marshall. :) He's just a little goofy and gets excited by the strangest of things. But he does have some really good moments throughout the seasons.

That said Barney is totally my fave!!! :heart:

DigitalLeonardo
08-07-08, 02:33 AM
I like Marshall. :) He's just a little goofy and gets excited by the strangest of things. But he does have some really good moments throughout the seasons.

Revertigo!

But I agree with you, Marshall just has some of the best random scenes and when he wants her can also have some of the sweetest. Like the whole him and Lily breaking up, that entire first episode of season 2... at the end when he got up and made pancakes, my heart broke!

litzie
08-07-08, 08:41 AM
Bein' a lawyer had better be awesome!

Marshall had me at that bit in The Sweet Taste of Liberty...someone who sings everything all the time is just AWESOME.

He's my second favorite, after barney...I go Barney, Marshall, Lilly/Robin (tied), ted. Ted is generally lame, but every so often he's funny, and sometimes he actually approaches awesome (like in the season 3 finale in that scene with barney...awwwwwwww!)

Wolfie Gilmore
08-07-08, 11:39 AM
Marshall is my dearest darling. I think everyone on the show should fall in love with him like they do with RJ in "Him". Awww, Marshall! Barney is also awesome. And Robin...well, I didn't like her that much at first but when it came to Robin Sparkles... she wins. And Lilly too. The only one I don't much care for is Ted. He is an ass.

buffyholic
14-07-08, 03:02 PM
So, Season two is finished. Im actually sad that Robin and Ted broke up, but I always thought they were different people. I feel Robin is not a very "marriage person", a very traditional person and Im not saying its wrong. I actually feel that makes her remarkable, but sadly she conflicts with Ted on that issue.
Lily and Marshall were great, as always and Barney is a hoot!

I cant wait for season 3.

litzie
14-07-08, 03:06 PM
I think the end of the season two finale is my favorite ending of any episode, ever, on any tv show. Aww....it just makes me go aww every time I think about it!

Season three is a bit patchy at the beginning, with in my opinion two of the best eps of the season but also some of the not so good ones. But it really hits its stride post strike, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Wolfie Gilmore
14-07-08, 04:29 PM
I just started a Barney group...come celebrate the awesome!

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/group.php?groupid=24

DigitalLeonardo
18-07-08, 01:55 AM
Hey, here are the full details about the Season 3 DVD. Tvshows on DVD (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Met-Mother-Season-3-Press-Release/10083) has all the special features listed and DAMN are we in for a great release.

We are getting commentaries on some of greatest episoes of the season! Even Sarah Chalke is present for a commentary. We also get the FULL 'Sand Castles In The Sand' music video.

I love that for all three seasons we have gotten an amazing special features. HIMYM are my favorite DVDs.

Jenni Lou
18-07-08, 04:11 AM
Cool!

I have the full Sandcastles video on my iPod. They released it for free on iTunes. It's probably still there.

Also a truly awesome shout-out to NPH for getting yet another emmy nod for his portrayal as Barney. Truly well deserved! *claps*

Willow's Tara
18-07-08, 04:58 AM
Hey guys, Australia just watched the season finale of HIMYM, I thought it was pretty good too, thought the Barney scenes were good.
But I must have missed something because I didn't see where Barney realized he loved Robin.
Anways, I doubt Stella is "the one", afterall the kids would know thier mother's name right? And we would have had some reaction I think, not that they were even in it, plus there would have to be three kids including Stella's daughter if she was.
I am actually still hoping it's somehow an character of Amber Benson lol. I guess it's that both Alexis and Amy have connections to Alyson (Besides starting with A) that since last time I heard Amber and Alyson were best friends, that Alyson would somehow get Amber the part of being "The one".

But that's probably a long way off anyway, although I hope when Ted meets the mother, I hope there's another season to show the wedding and perhaps the character getting pregnant with the girl (I think she's the oldest).

One more question: Did Ted propse to Stella because of the writer's strike? I know alot of shows ended on some cliffhanger because of it, especially if it ended up being cancelled result of the strike I(Like Desperate Housewives and otherds)

litzie
18-07-08, 08:47 AM
So this is weird. I went to the site you linked about the DVDs, DigitalLeonardo, and saw the list of special features/episodes:

# Disc 2
7. "Dowisetrepla"
8. "Spoiler Alert"
9. "Slapsgiving"
10. "Ten Sessions"
11. "The Yips"
12. "No Tomorrow"
13. "The Platinum Rule"
Special Features

* Commentary By Show Creators Carter Bays And Craig Thomas, Director Pam Fryman And Editor Sue Federman - "The Platinum Rule"
* Commentary By Actors Josh Radnor And Sarah Chalke And Show Creators Carter Bays And Craig Thomas - "Ten Sessions"
* Unrated Gag Reel
* You Just Got Slapped Music Video

Ok, so that makes no sense! The episodes are out of order...aired, it went slapsgiving, the yips, the platinum rule, no tomorrow, ten sessions! What's up with that? Maybe it's just a mistake on the site?

Jenni Lou
18-07-08, 05:15 PM
But I must have missed something because I didn't see where Barney realized he loved Robin.

One more question: Did Ted propse to Stella because of the writer's strike? I know alot of shows ended on some cliffhanger because of it, especially if it ended up being cancelled result of the strike I(Like Desperate Housewives and otherds)

1. It's before the last scene, when they are in the hospital room and Marshall and Lily are teasing Barney about hislife flabhis eyes, or at least he things he loves....loving "boobs...suits...money" and other Barney things. Robin walks in the room and he looks longingly at her.

2. No idea, actually.

So this is weird. I went to the site you linked about the DVDs, DigitalLeonardo, and saw the list of special features/episodes:

I didn't even notice. Weird. It may just be a misprint on the press release. Those things happen fairly often.

litzie
21-07-08, 03:24 PM
So wolfie and I did this together for a bit of fun. It was her idea, of course...it's not really so much fanart as a joke so thought I'd post it here...

DigitalLeonardo
23-07-08, 12:34 AM
I just started a Barney group...come celebrate the awesome!

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/group.php?groupid=24

You inspired me to start a Robin Sparkles (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/group.php?groupid=26) group to celebrate HER total-awesome. Totally!

DVD NEWS
Here are more details about the DVD http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Met-Mother-Season-3-Details/10117 with a cool ass cover (though I don't like that it isn't white... it dosn't match season 1 and 2, but I love the sandcastle!)

Also the episode list has been currected.

The title is "Legendary Season", it was good, but I kinda hate now adays that every season needs a cool as name v.v. Season 2 was alot more Legendary!

Jenni Lou
23-07-08, 01:48 AM
Yeah, the cover art is kinda lame. S2 has the best box so far, imo. And it's fine that it is black and not white. I own sooo many tv dvds and there are lots of series that are matchy, but still not.

Also, I am totally pull for NPH for the Emmy this year. I love Jeremy Piven but he's won already. They gots to show Barney some love right about now! Although, I am not too optimistic. Stupid Emmy voters! :down:

DigitalLeonardo
23-07-08, 02:36 AM
I really do hope he wins. I think he is the only actor to totaly be his character. I mean I don't look at him like "Oh the gay guy from Doogie Howser" he is able to just break away. Its amazing. Plus he is the best thing of the series (though Robin Sparkles is pretty high up there). I'm not as impressed with Alyson Hannigan as I was at the start.

buffyholic
25-07-08, 04:24 PM
Im actually missing the show. I have no idea when season 3 will air here and Im really missing them already. I thought it wasnt possible, but it is. I miss them so much already!

litzie
25-07-08, 04:28 PM
Im actually missing the show. I have no idea when season 3 will air here and Im really missing them already. I thought it wasnt possible, but it is. I miss them so much already!

Where do you live?

You can probably get the season 3 dvds off amazon, if you have a dvd player that can play region ones...

And I totally know what you mean re missing the show! I need my himym fix!

buffyholic
28-07-08, 03:09 PM
Itzie, I live in Portugal and in here, most shows take a while to get here or when theyre here, they show most shows around 3 or 4 in the morning. Or they never air it, like in the case of VM. I had to buy it to know the show. But Im kind of hopeful season 3 will air soon!:2party:

DigitalLeonardo
05-08-08, 11:24 AM
I just caught "The Platinum Rule" today and wow, I can't beleive I missed that episode. Some really funny things went down, I loved the flashback within flashback within flashbacks. It was so funny.

But one thing I noticed is... Lily's 'flashback' wigs kinda suck... I mean, I don't remember her hair EVER being that style during season 1. It was much shorter wasn't it? Its weird, I'm so use to her as having dark hair watching her in Buffy and Veronica Mars just seems wrong. Though I love her as a red head and I wish she'd go back... maybe season 4!?

litzie
05-08-08, 12:03 PM
I always notice Lily's season 1 flashbacks wigs...they're very over the top. Her hair did kinda look like that at the end of the season...but it just didn't look anywhere as bad on her head as it does on a wig! But I kinda let that go by and enjoy the flashbacks for themselves.

I love how in The Platinum Rule (definitely one of my top five of season 3), the flashbacks all not only connect, but echo each other. Like when Robin is breaking up with the hockey guy, she goes "I'm getting tired of the charade" and then when Lily and Marshall are breaking up with their neighbors they go, "we're getting tired of charades." Love that stuff!

Ooh, and this makes me think of...What're everyone's top 10 episodes of the series?

Mine are (in no particular order):

Okay, Awesome
First Time in New York
Miracles
Zip, Zip, Zip
Slap Bet
Swarley
Arreviderci, Fierro
Something Borrowed/Something Blue
Showdown
How I Met Everyone Else

With runners up: The Platinum Rule, The Duel and Bachelor Party

Wolfie Gilmore
05-08-08, 02:29 PM
My faves are,,,,thanks for the titles litzie ;)

Swarley, Zip Zip Zip, Single Stamina, Sandcastles in the Sand, Miracles.

My favourite moment EVER is Lily chasing after Marshall's new girlfriend and ending up looking like an evil dwarf. Painful laughter.

watcher1006
08-08-08, 04:31 PM
I realized this past season that at long last I'm finally starting to see Alyson Hannigan more as Lily than as Willow.

I love this show, even though as a rule sitcoms annoy me. I didn't care for Friends. I found the characters annoying. I think that's why I like HIMYM - I'm fond of all the characters in the ensemble and the actors who play them.

Wolfie Gilmore
08-08-08, 05:30 PM
I realized this past season that at long last I'm finally starting to see Alyson Hannigan more as Lily than as Willow.

Hee! Now I'm imagining Vamp!Lily and Dark!Lilly. Though Dark!Barney might be even scarier. Or would he just end up as The Immortal?

I love this show, even though as a rule sitcoms annoy me. I didn't care for Friends. I found the characters annoying. I think that's why I like HIMYM - I'm fond of all the characters in the ensemble and the actors who play them.

Somehow this show manages to rise about the sitcom framework. Better characters, sharper jokes... and the way they build on the jokes over time is amazing.

Jenni Lou
08-08-08, 05:40 PM
Somehow this show manages to rise about the sitcom framework. Better characters, sharper jokes... and the way they build on the jokes over time is amazing.

Not to mention the whole flashback element which opens them up to lots of interesting ways to tell different stories and from different angels and points of view.

I'm not a fan of laugh tracks overall but I am not bothered by it in this show, much like I am not bothered by it in my other fave sitcoms like Cheers, Seinfeld or Friends.

watcher1006
08-08-08, 06:11 PM
Though Dark!Barney might be even scarier. Or would he just end up as The Immortal?

Hahaha! Barney as the Immortal! :roll:

Not to mention the whole flashback element which opens them up to lots of interesting ways to tell different stories and from different angels and points of view.

I was a regular poster on a php style forum for HIMYM till it crashed about a week ago and hasn't come back up since. But one of the last posts I saw gave a link about the plans for Season 4 of the show where it said that the production plan calls for the "soap opera" to wrap up and for the show to become less serialized and more of a succession of standalone episodes. This is with the intention of attracting new viewers. I was never of the opinion that the show was so serialized anyway. Ted's quest for someone to marry and the longstanding relationship between Lily and Marshall are easy to pick up in the middle of their stories, and there are just a couple of long running stories and jokes that I think wouldn't be that difficult to get into without seeing the whole story - the Slap Bet, Robin the Teen/Tween Star, the Blue French Horn. Plus with the flashback style of the show it's easy for Ted to recap the history in voiced over scenes. Maybe the "soap opera" will end, whatever that means (perhaps Ted finding his wife?) But I just hope we don't see the type of continuing storylines I mentioned above vanish from the show.

Jenni Lou
08-08-08, 06:41 PM
I was a regular poster on a php style forum for HIMYM till it crashed about a week ago and hasn't come back up since. But one of the last posts I saw gave a link about the plans for Season 4 of the show where it said that the production plan calls for the "soap opera" to wrap up and for the show to become less serialized and more of a succession of standalone episodes. This is with the intention of attracting new viewers. I was never of the opinion that the show was so serialized anyway. Ted's quest for someone to marry and the longstanding relationship between Lily and Marshall are easy to pick up in the middle of their stories, and there are just a couple of long running stories and jokes that I think wouldn't be that difficult to get into without seeing the whole story - the Slap Bet, Robin the Teen/Tween Star, the Blue French Horn. Plus with the flashback style of the show it's easy for Ted to recap the history in voiced over scenes. Maybe the "soap opera" will end, whatever that means (perhaps Ted finding his wife?) But I just hope we don't see the type of continuing storylines I mentioned above vanish from the show.

I haven't read that. But it is disappointing t me if that is where they decide to go. Because, I agree that is quite far from a serialized show and any long-running gag or story can be easily explained rather quickly through a Ted voice-over.

I did read, however, that the CBS president said that the show was never in danger of cancellation despite the network's delay in renewing it for a fourth season. So that was good to hear.

Honestly, for some reason A LOT more people tune into watch Two and a Half Men than HIMYM. Weird. I was looking the Neilsen ratings for last week (or the week before maybe?) And Two Men was third. As a repeat. Seriously?! Crazy.

watcher1006
08-08-08, 07:26 PM
Honestly, for some reason A LOT more people tune into watch Two and a Half Men than HIMYM. Weird. I was looking the Neilsen ratings for last week (or the week before maybe?) And Two Men was third. As a repeat. Seriously?! Crazy.

Two And A Half Men does seem to be CBS' biggie among comedies. Nevertheless it is a bit strange how CBS dangled HIMYM's renewal till the day of their upfront presentation. Especially because the ratings data seem to show its popularity skewing toward the younger demographics, which is what the advertisers always want to see. But I remember reading a column on the TV Guide site - I think it was most likely Ausiello but it could have been Roush - that said that there is a faction of CBS execs who just don't LIKE HIMYM, for whatever reason(s).

Willow's Tara
09-08-08, 01:15 AM
watcher- I wonder if it has to do with Alyson and her work as Willow? It's not too far for them to not like Alyson becaise she played a lesbian, I remeber reading an article a few years back bout some production (Can't remeber the name) that didn't give Amber Benson any parts because she played a lesbian in Buffy. I know whatever production did that had a B I think, couldn't have WB becausre isn't Supernatural or Buffy part of that production? Sorry for going ot btw

JL- How would the show be effected if it'd a standalone episodes?

Jenni Lou
09-08-08, 02:12 AM
JL- How would the show be effected if it'd a standalone episodes?

Well, it basically is a bunch of standalone eps, as is. I would just be upset if they took away things that sort of carry over the seasons/series, i.e. yellow umbrella, slap bet, Robin Sparkles, etc.

watcher1006
10-08-08, 06:18 PM
Willow's Tara - I hadn't thought of that angle but now that you mention it I don't think you can rule it out as a factor. I remember the stories about the resistance Joss Whedon faced to having Willow and Tara kiss on screen. It's been the better part of a decade now but you wonder how much things have really changed in the executive offices of TV land.

And then you have the fact that Neil Patrick Harris came out publicly not long ago to announce that he was gay. Sometimes the combination of two things like this can weigh more than the sum of of the two individually. For me the fact that the actor is gay doesn't effect my view of Barney one iota.

This is the link to our old HIMYM forum:

http://www.howimetyourmother.us/how-i-met-your-mother/forum/

It's crashed now but I hope it gets back up at some point. We had lots of links there to good articles about the show, pictures, and some videos.

litzie
10-08-08, 07:04 PM
I don't really think AH's playing a gay character had any impact at all on HIMYM...especially since I think she's known at least equally as band camp girl...

DigitalLeonardo
11-08-08, 12:48 AM
That is one of the beauties of the cast of HIMYM. I don't see previous characters in any of the cast. They are ALWAYS just Marshall, Lily, Robin, Ted and Barney. And thats it.

I also agree about the series loosing all its connections. I would hate if season 4 had no flashbacks, cause the flashbacks MAKE the series. With out them we just get Friends, and I don't think I could toon into that.
I need college Ted, Marshal and Lily, and 2005 fake-hair Lily, and Robin Sparkles! Those are what make the show.

Willow's Tara
11-08-08, 01:27 AM
watcher- True, I hope it has nothing to do with that, some people are just closed minded even in the celebrity world... Well aleast one pioint goes to AB, AH and every actor who played a homosexual character for me.
DL- I like Friends, it's pretty cool but I know what you mean, I like the flashbacks, most of the time they aren't scenes that were already shown.

watcher1006
11-08-08, 02:50 AM
Okay everyone, here's a link to the comments by Carter Bays over the plans for the show next season:

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/714221.html

No, Bays explained. He and co-producer Craig Thomas have had fun writing a soap opera for the past three years, but they will wrap that up next season and begin writing episodes that are self-contained as on most sitcoms so newcomers to the show dont feel like they missed out on something.

Back to AH, I agree that she has plenty of talent to create entirely different characters from those of her previous roles. Still, I can't help but try to see Lily in some of her previous work. Like in her portrayal of oversexed Michelle in the American Pie movies. When I see Willow try to seduce Xander in the Buffy episode "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" or her wonderful scene with Oz inside his van in "Innocence" I can sort of see her as Lily-to-be.

DigitalLeonardo
11-08-08, 03:18 AM
Okay everyone, here's a link to the comments by Carter Bays over the plans for the show next season:

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/714221.html

That really does suck... Thats gunna ruin the series. Maybe they can pull it off, but I love how everything ties in and links and flashes back :cutecry:

Oh well... I can hope that the series will still have its charm. But, its what they did to Veronica Mars, making them all their own episodes (so outside viewers can start at any point) and the series got canclled...

Jenni Lou
11-08-08, 04:15 AM
Well, it is a disappointing prospect, surely. But I think the show can still keep its charm and still play with the whole flashback elements while being a series full of standalones. It's possible. I'm certainly not willing to write of the series just yet. I gotta put some faith in the writers.

litzie
11-08-08, 09:18 AM
I'm really wondering what "soap opera" he's referring to...could it be the kind of barney falling in love with robin stuff? Cuz that would be so sad to lose, I just got way into them!

Honestly though, I'm not sure what element of the series is soapy...aside from perhaps the whole robin/barney/ted getting pissed thing we had for, what, like 4 or 5 episodes at the end of the season? I can' think of anything else...

I do have a lot of faith in the writers, I have to say. As long as they're not changing those, I'm happy. I was watching the commentary for Single Stamina, the one with Barney's brother, and the writer was saying she had to fit a product placement into a scene...and I hadn't noticed it at all, it was snuck in as a joke...and, ok, perhaps that's not the best example of their writing ability but you get the point!

Kari
11-08-08, 10:02 PM
I think this show is rather funny. I dont' get to watch it often but I really should start watching it more. I like AH's character, she's cute :)

watcher1006
13-08-08, 04:57 PM
Well I thought I could list the Buffy/Angel alums who've made guest appearances on this show. We've had

Alexis Denisof
Amy Acker

in Season 1, and we had

Tom Lenk
Harry Groener

in Season 2. Also we had Morena Baccarin from Firefly appear in the same episode as Tom Lenk, "Swarley". Have I missed any?

I hope to see all of them back again at some point, along with some others. In particular I think Emma Caulfield would be great as a guest on this show, in whatever role. I have hopes that she might make it on some day, as I understand she's friends with Alyson Hannigan.

Wolfie Gilmore
13-08-08, 06:02 PM
I just found out another friend of mine's watching this...there's nothing I enjoy more than discovering someone's into this (or getting them into it) and then quoting lines/scenes/episodes at one another. Or watching Robin Sparkles' vids on a loop :D

Jenni Lou
19-08-08, 05:47 AM
HA! The Bro Code is being released into a book. :lol:

Simon & Schuster has released details about the upcoming book version of The Bro Code. As was mentioned before, its by Matt Kuhn, who is the guy behind Barneys blog as well as the writer of the episodes Slapsgiving and Columns.

The books release is set for October 14. 208 pages, paperback, list price $13.00 (with Amazon pre-orders costing $10.40).

The best part? Theres also going to be an audio version, read by Neil Patrick Harris.

Source (http://www.legen-waitforit.com/2008/08/the-bro-code-release-details.html)

litzie
19-08-08, 08:22 AM
That is so freaking hilarious! Especially the fact that NPH is reading the audio book...makes my morning significantly better...

watcher1006
05-09-08, 04:12 PM
I found this on whedonesque.com a few months ago. It's a page on the TV Guide online site. It has streaming videos of some interviews Matt Roush of TV Guide managed to get with the HIMYM cast and creators at a get-together minus Jason Segel, who had a commitment to a movie production. The event took place at McGee's, which is the real life inspiration for McClaren's Bar.

Matt Roush Interviews (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Tv-Mattrs/Met-Mother-Cast/800041252)

I enjoyed seeing them all talking to Matt spontaneously, and to hear some of their own views on their fellow actors, their characters, and the show's plot directions.

litzie
05-09-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks for posting, watcher. I really enjoyed colbie's interview (man that girl has got a dry sense of humor!) but I couldn't see any of the others...they wouldn't buffer or load or whatever. boo.

slaycandy
05-09-08, 05:47 PM
Well I thought I could list the Buffy/Angel alums who've made guest appearances on this show. We've had

Alexis Denisof
Amy Acker

in Season 1, and we had

Tom Lenk
Harry Groener

in Season 2. Also we had Morena Baccarin from Firefly appear in the same episode as Tom Lenk, "Swarley". Have I missed any?

I hope to see all of them back again at some point, along with some others. In particular I think Emma Caulfield would be great as a guest on this show, in whatever role. I have hopes that she might make it on some day, as I understand she's friends with Alyson Hannigan.

Lol, I noticed that in the season one New Year episode their limmo stopped outside of Nolita, which is back when Kitchen Confidential was filming, I though it would have been awesome if Nick Brendon was there, heh. Lol. Maybe that's just me... meh..

SJ
xox

Jenni Lou
05-09-08, 05:52 PM
ugh, yeah. The streaming video player they have at tvguide is junk. It has so many problems for me (and other judgning from blog comments!) I don't even bother with it anymore.

Hey, if you guys are into spoiler, you can check out legen-waitforit.com (http://www.legen-waitforit.com/). It has the most spoilers of any place I have come across. I also posted some stills for the first episode sometime back on my site as well.

And I really want new shiny season four promos pictures but I don't think we are going to get any! *cries*

litzie
05-09-08, 05:52 PM
I was just watching the commentary for Real Me, and they were talking about how Emma needs to be on a sitcom...and it's so true. That woman was born for comedy, she should totally guest star on himym. she could be a hilarious girlfriend for Ted...

litzie
05-09-08, 05:55 PM
ugh, yeah. The streaming video player they have at tvguide is junk. It has so many problems for me (and other judgning from blog comments!) I don't even bother with it anymore.

Hey, if you guys are into spoiler, you can check out legen-waitforit.com (http://www.legen-waitforit.com/). It has the most spoilers of any place I have come across. I also posted some stills for the first episode sometime back on my site as well.

And I really want new shiny season four promos pictures but I don't think we are going to get any! *cries*

Ooh, promo pics would be so nice! I'm doubting it since I've already seen a behind the scenes trailer for season 4 and they didn't have any new shots. They did have Marshall with some LONG freaking hair though! sheesh!

I'm always trying to do art for this show and it never turns out the way I want it to. I think it's because I can't make it quite funny enough... /random

Jenni Lou
05-09-08, 05:59 PM
I was just watching the commentary for Real Me, and they were talking about how Emma needs to be on a sitcom...and it's so true. That woman was born for comedy, she should totally guest star on himym. she could be a hilarious girlfriend for Ted...

ooooh, yeah. Good call. Or even a nice temptation for Barney. I think they would play well off each other! :)

litzie
05-09-08, 06:06 PM
Ooh, yes, that would be perfect! She could be great in terms of fitting in with the dynamic of the group too for a bit anyway...I've never understood why she hasn't really done much since buffy...she's really a great comedic actress.

Willow's Tara
06-09-08, 12:54 AM

Alexis Denisof
Amy Acker

in Season 1, and we had

Tom Lenk
Harry Groener

Emma would be funny in HIMYM actually, although I like to see Amber Benson in it as well (Obiovusly), maybe they can bring Anthony Stewart head in too!

Oh btw, about the timeline of the show, the voiceover is talking to his kids in 2030 right? And they are like what? 15 and 17? If so, then that means the show has to end or aleast have Ted find his soulmate and have kids around 2015? I wonder if the show will last that long, I mean most comedies do. Everybody Loves Raymond got to S( while Friends got to S10, maybe we will get lucky.

DigitalLeonardo
06-09-08, 02:29 AM
Oh btw, about the timeline of the show, the voiceover is talking to his kids in 2030 right? And they are like what? 15 and 17? If so, then that means the show has to end or aleast have Ted find his soulmate and have kids around 2015? I wonder if the show will last that long, I mean most comedies do. Everybody Loves Raymond got to S( while Friends got to S10, maybe we will get lucky.

I huh... I don't think Ted HAD to meet his wife the same year. I mean he could find her in 2009... 2010... And then waited a couple years. You know how it is.

I think HIMYM will last a bit longer. Though I really hope we get 10 seasons... Cause it really is a charm.

watcher1006
06-09-08, 05:20 AM

Hmmm, the streaming media feeds on the TVguide.com page still seems to work for me, sorry if some of you are having trouble with it.

One thing that caught my attention in Cobie Smulders' interview was when she talked about how much she liked working with Neil Patrick Harris one on one and appreciated the fact that he didn't touch her in inappropriate places, which she said that Josh did!

Neil Patrick Harris' piece seemed to be mostly about Barney's relationship with Robin, which was something he'd been angling for. They talked just a bit at the end about the stir he'd caused with his remarks during Season 3 about Britney Spears and his sentiment against having overly high-profile celebrities on the show to boost ratings.

In Alyson Hannigan's interview Matt playfully accuses her of having played "hard to get" for three years, ducking his attempts to interview her. I don't know what that may have been about but honestly AH seemed a bit awkward and uncomfortable talking to him.

Josh Radnor praised Sarah Chalke who plays Stella and said he hopes CBS can get her for more episodes of the show. He also talked a bit with Matt about Jason Segel's movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which I think they both liked.

None of them had any spoilers to drop about the upcoming season, it seems they were all pretty much in the dark about what the creative staff had planned for their characters.

buffyholic
08-09-08, 12:29 PM
Finally, S3 started yesterday and I truly missed those guys! And having Enrique Iglesias and Mandy Moore guest-star was amazing, especially Enrique!

watcher1006
08-09-08, 01:34 PM
Season 4 starts for us here in the United States on the 22nd of September.

Willow's Tara
09-09-08, 12:29 AM
When does S4 air in Australia do you know? And I hope this time they don't stop HIMYM and say its a season finale, there are numerous of episodes that I thought that were in S2 or 1 and it seems they are in S3...

Jenni Lou
16-09-08, 10:01 PM
Hell yeah! Less than a week before the terun of HIMYM!!! *dances*

Anyway, I scanned this from tv guide and it has a little article with it, if anyone is interested.

http://black-celebration.net/caps/albums/--/090208/scans2/himym4/normal_S4HIMYM_TVGuide001.jpg (http://black-celebration.net/caps/displayimage.php?pos=-663121)

watcher1006
20-09-08, 02:50 PM
I'm certainly looking forward to the Season 4 premiere this coming Monday. I have noticed that CBS has been very stingy with preview scenes of the show these past few weeks. I saw more previews of the upcoming episode(s) on Craig Ferguson when Jason Segel and Josh Radnor made appearances this week than I have in CBS promos for the show. They didn't show anything even at the end of the repeat of the Season 3 finale that aired last Monday.

Of course I don't want CBS to drop all kinds of spoilers in their promos but it has made me wonder if they are going to continue pushing the show in their less-than-totally-enthusiastic style that they exhibited last season.

DigitalLeonardo
21-09-08, 10:45 AM
I'm certainly looking forward to the Season 4 premiere this coming Monday. I have noticed that CBS has been very stingy with preview scenes of the show these past few weeks. I saw more previews of the upcoming episode(s) on Craig Ferguson when Jason Segel and Josh Radnor made appearances this week than I have in CBS promos for the show. They didn't show anything even at the end of the repeat of the Season 3 finale that aired last Monday.

Of course I don't want CBS to drop all kinds of spoilers in their promos but it has made me wonder if they are going to continue pushing the show in their less-than-totally-enthusiastic style that they exhibited last season.

I gotta say I've noticed that with ALOT of shows the season. It is almost like Networks no longer care? I mean alot of shows have not gotten promo pictures or good ads on TV.

It just makes me wonder what is up.

ANYWAYS

I am excited for season 4. I don't want Ted to get married to Stella, even though I enjoy the couple I will always be a TedxRobin shipper. Even though I know it will never happen.

I also can't wait to see what happends with Barney and Robin! :heart:

Also... i want red haired Alyson back!

Jenni Lou
21-09-08, 04:44 PM
I've been watching all the episodes in preparation for the premiere. :xd I'm about halfway through season three now. It's so weird....but this is one of the shows I am most excited about getting new eps of! I never thought I would feel that way about a sitcom, but it is such a freakin' awesome show. Monday Monday Monday!!!! :D

DigitalLeonardo
23-09-08, 04:10 AM
SEASON 4!!! :hf2:

Oh man. Talk about a season premier! I couldn't stop laughing, they just hit the beat!

I just want to say before I forget, Barney's Bimbo speach was just... PERFECT! It was just the essence of Barney and I loved it. It really gives me hope for the remainder of the season. Now to the episode.

The Ted/Stella stuff was very funny and just very true to character. I was wondering the same thing about their quickie relationship and was wondering if these kinda questions would be asked. The two make a great couple but I have a feeling they won't end up together. But my heart was just so touched when she said she would lie about liking Star Wars for the rest of her life.

Uh that was also great. Making her watch Star Wars :roll: and how they kept watching her. AND MARSHALL! Damn, he was funny. I totally forget he lost his job.

The Barney/Robin stuff was just heart breaking... I feel so bad for Barney but he is who he is. I really want them together, but they are just so different.

Oh I am just so over whelmed by this episode that its hard for me to put my thoughts together. All I know is season 4 is going to be a great season! They have set it up so well!

Jenni Lou
23-09-08, 04:21 AM
Dude, I love this show. I've been rewatching it and it's such a shame more people don't watch it. It's just a really good show. :p

But my heart was just so touched when she said she would lie about liking Star Wars for the rest of her life.

Me too! :o That's just so sweet. I really nice touch to the character, I think. :)

The Barney/Robin stuff was just heart breaking... I feel so bad for Barney but he is who he is. I really want them together, but they are just so different.

I dunno. Are they really so different? Sure, Barney is a womanizing man-tramp. And Robin wants to live all over the globe. Aside form that, they are actually pretty similar. Both have shown no desire for marriage and kids and are happy with the way they live their lives. They share a similar sense of humor, enjoy cigars and scotch and a good game of laser tag. :lol: I'm just saying, they're not all together so different, imo.

Oh I am just so over whelmed by this episode that its hard for me to put my thoughts together. All I know is season 4 is going to be a great season! They have set it up so well!

Yeah. Ditto. :heart: HIMYM!!!

Also, something I enjoyed about the ep was the Lily/Barney interaction. It's so rare for those two to share scenes, just the two of them. And they haven't shared too many alone in three seasons. Lily is so sweet and you can tell she wants this for Barney because she really does care about him and wants to see him a better man. :) Aww, Lily, you are so cool sometimes. :D

watcher1006
23-09-08, 04:31 AM
I agree, it was a strong season opener. I wasn't expecting the "yes" from Stella so soon but I guess that sets up a story of her's and Ted's engagement for at least a couple of episodes. At least that's how it looks to me. I won't hazard a guess as to how it will turn out.

I loved how obvious it was from the beginning that Stella didn't care for Star Wars but afterwards pretended to like it for Ted's sake. There's a lot of meaning in that story about how far someone will go to be with someone she/he loves, and what the limits of such compromising should be.

One might have thought it would be Barney rather than Marshall raising all the red flags regarding the engagement in Ted's face but, for this episode anyway, Barney was preoccupied!

I'm a bit puzzled at the end regarding the Robin and Barney story. It seems that she doesn't take him seriously, likes him much more when he's obviously not being serious, and that at in response he wound up retreating behind his natural defenses of ridicule and blowing off Lily, whom he had originally called upon for help. But is that really the end of his efforts regarding Robin?

I'm looking forward to next Monday!

Jenni Lou
23-09-08, 06:32 AM
I'm a bit puzzled at the end regarding the Robin and Barney story. It seems that she doesn't take him seriously, likes him much more when he's obviously not being serious, and that at in response he wound up retreating behind his natural defenses of ridicule and blowing off Lily, whom he had originally called upon for help. But is that really the end of his efforts regarding Robin?

It's not that Robin likes him more when he is being crude and Barney-like, I think she was just thrown by his behavior because he wasn't being the guy she knows, you know? :p

As for that being the end of his efforts with Robin, I vote no. It's why he turns on the tv to look at her for a moment at the end of the episode. His bimbo speech to Lily did two things, imo: 1)it was a way to dismiss Lily's intentions of helping him, which he wanted at the moment and 2)it was a way for him to remind himself who he is/was and what he loves about his life. I think the end of the episode was just him realizing that his speech was only half-truthful. He might want that string of bimbos but he wants Robin too,

watcher1006
23-09-08, 01:30 PM
I also don't think they can end the Robin-Barney story so easily. But presumably he won't be able to ask Lily for help for the time being, having called upon her only to blow her off like that!

It was amusing to see Lily trying to teach Barney getting his life lesson on bimbos v. girlfriends. We have seen him actually hurting women - and not necessarily "bimbos" - before, like in S3 "Dowisetrepla" when he deliberately led on someone looking for a commitment and then walked out on her. Maybe we'll see Barney overdo that sort of thing for a while to try to convince himself that he hasn't changed, all the while pining for Robin inside.

It's not like Barney hasn't shown romantic sentiment before. It was he after all who coaxed Lily to come back from San Francisco to be with Marshall again.

And I think you are right in that Robin and Barney may have more in common than meets the eye. She was always clear with Ted about her own commitment issues.

litzie
23-09-08, 01:47 PM
OMG, I am SO, so happy.

So, first, for some horrible reason this is not up on itunes, which is giving me the indigestion. Come back, himym!! Come back!!

Ok, so I think that may have been the strongest season opener so far. I think season 2 was a close second, but they were just so on the ball with all the jokes, all the character interaction, and all the continued storylines. Marshall was adorable and hilarious in his joblessness (and, oh, I so empathize). I also like that he basically set the Star Wars watch as a test of stella too...a test of his own, and he approves of her now specifically because she's willing to lie. He's protecting his friend and it's really sweet.

Also, this show is so hilarious with the slashy subtext! Lily's whole thing about robin's body...marshall's description of ted...aww, it's not a slashy show at all, but they're so adorable about it!

I liked Barney's booty call flashbacks (hee!) and Lily and Marshall's Rhinosaurous (sp?) code word. Though I'm wondering - are they going to give Marshall a wig for all the flashbacks now, like they do with Lily? Cuz his hair is out of control!! What is he doing with that?

Barney was adorable for the entire episode. So sweet to robin, and so very barney with his bimbo speech...i hope he finds a way to balance his barney-ness with his love, because I wouldn't want him to change too much!!

YAY for himym! Just yay!

Wolfie Gilmore
23-09-08, 03:23 PM
Do you know how much strength it is taking for me not to look under those spoiler tags? Superhuman bloomin strength. Can't wait to see the first ep of the season. Squee. :D

doubleshiny
23-09-08, 04:08 PM
I've already read the episode recaps because I am incredibly impatient, I can't wait to see it! BTW NPH on the Emmys was hawt. He was suited up!

Jenni Lou
23-09-08, 04:20 PM
BTW NPH on the Emmys was hawt. He was suited up!

dude, not to mention that he was totally robbed. I am a huge Jeremy Piven for nearly twenty years but NPH deserved the win this time, I mean, JP has gotten it three consecutive years. And let's be honest, NPH is the secret star of this show. He carries it. Without him it would be terribly hokey and cheesy. The Barney brings the show a balance it needs, imo.

doubleshiny
23-09-08, 04:23 PM
Absolutely, I think he makes the show, so he deserves some credit. The awesomest of all awards. When Barney's off screen I'm just sat waiting for him to come back.

litzie
23-09-08, 04:47 PM
dude, not to mention that he was totally robbed. I am a huge Jeremy Piven for nearly twenty years but NPH deserved the win this time, I mean, JP has gotten it three consecutive years. And let's be honest, NPH is the secret star of this show. He carries it. Without him it would be terribly hokey and cheesy. The Barney brings the show a balance it needs, imo.
That is very true. Though I do think it would still be a good show without him (the writing is too quality for it to be really cheesy), NPH is so awesome as Barney it is a CRIME that they keep denying him at the emmys. I think they're just all so woo! HBO that they don't really see himym for the awesomeness that it is. And I really wish they would, cuz that would help booster the show in CBS' eyes I feel!

Do you know how much strength it is taking for me not to look under those spoiler tags? Superhuman bloomin strength. Can't wait to see the first ep of the season. Squee. :D

You are superhuman. You are...AWESOMEWOMAN! Soaring over buildings with a single bound, turning your eyes away from spoilertags, it's AWESOMEWOMAN!!!

DigitalLeonardo
23-09-08, 09:28 PM

I wouldn't say it would hokey and cheesy, but it would certainly NOT be How I Met Your Mother. And I doubt it would have survived the first season. Some of the best moments come from Barney, like him and Robin lazer tagging. You can't get better then that!!!

I was so angry he didn't win the Emmy. Entourage is good, but it has slipped the last couple of seasons and not really Emmy quality like HIMYM has been. I think Cobie Smulders should get the Emmy for Robin Sparkles. One of the BEST moments on television. Everyone went to the mall that day!

Jenni Lou
23-09-08, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't say it would hokey and cheesy, but it would certainly NOT be How I Met Your Mother.[/I]

I dunno. I think it would be. Just think about a regular ep. Now subtract Barney. Doesn't it now become a little overly lovey-dovey? It does to me anyway. Because the show is basically a hopeless romantic searching for the woman of his dreams, with his married best pals at his side. Barney just brings balance for me. Not to mention, the funniest lines in the show are Barneyisms! :xd

But yeah, agreed that Robin Sparkles is awesome. A couple weeks ago I actually listened to "Sandcastles in the Sand" everyday a few times a day for a little while. It's a really good song! :p It has a few silly lines but it's catchy!! :2party:

DigitalLeonardo
23-09-08, 10:01 PM
I dunno. I think it would be. Just think about a regular ep. Now subtract Barney. Doesn't it now become a little overly lovey-dovey? It does to me anyway. Because the show is basically a hopeless romantic searching for the woman of his dreams, with his married best pals at his side. Barney just brings balance for me. Not to mention, the funniest lines in the show are Barneyisms! :xd

But yeah, agreed that Robin Sparkles is awesome. A couple weeks ago I actually listened to "Sandcastles in the Sand" everyday a few times a day for a little while. It's a really good song! :p It has a few silly lines but it's catchy!! :2party:

Hmm... Maybe. Its hard to think of it without him but maybe you are on to something. Saying that I hope we NEVER find out what the series would be like with out him! Now lets just not think about it!

Haha I did the same. I took everything off my MP3player except for the two Robin Sparkles songs. Listening to "Sandcastles In The Sand" there are lyrics I never noticed before. Like she says "I'm on the pill now!" I never noticed that until I was on the bus listening to it - and just BURSTED out laughing cause it is just so random. Part of me really wants another Robin song... I think it would be pretty cool if they released a Robin Sparkles album. I mean... She must have released an album if she had singles right? So where are the other 8-10 songs?! TRAVIS WANTS TO KNOW! :hf2:

Wolfie Gilmore
24-09-08, 09:17 AM
So, I waited and watched unspoiled, and was not disappointed. But Barney in love is REALLY disturbing. I was all for it, but now I want someone to make it stop. Bring back the real Barney who no longer wants to smell Robin's hair and is awesome again!

Ted's starwars thing was quite cute. I don't usually like Ted, but on this occasion, yes I did.

Robin's attempts to get a rise out of Barney with the drilling comments etc... I was right with her with the annoyance. Come on Barney! Give me a double Entendre five!

litzie
24-09-08, 09:44 AM
So, I waited and watched unspoiled, and was not disappointed. But Barney in love is REALLY disturbing. I was all for it, but now I want someone to make it stop. Bring back the real Barney who no longer wants to smell Robin's hair and is awesome again!

Ted's starwars thing was quite cute. I don't usually like Ted, but on this occasion, yes I did.

Robin's attempts to get a rise out of Barney with the drilling comments etc... I was right with her with the annoyance. Come on Barney! Give me a double Entendre five!

But come on, he's De.....lightful! Delightful!

btw that little finger dance he did when he said delightful is why barney is AWESOME all the time.

doubleshiny
24-09-08, 10:32 AM

Do you think they have gone past the point of no return with Barney? Has he gone the way of Spike, with his double entendre chip inserted?

litzie
24-09-08, 05:17 PM
Lifetime has won the cable rights to reruns of CBS' "How I Met Your Mother," according to this article. The reported $82.5 million deal, the second-highest fee paid by a cable network for a first-cycle sitcom, gives Lifetime the right to run reruns of the popular show beginning in the fall of 2010.

Just thought I'd share - syndication has to be good for the show, especially such a profitable syndication!

Though Lifetime is a pretty random choice...maybe they're trying to pull in a younger, less melodramatic demographic?

watcher1006
24-09-08, 05:59 PM
Just thought I'd share - syndication has to be good for the show, especially such a profitable syndication!

Though Lifetime is a pretty random choice...maybe they're trying to pull in a younger, less melodramatic demographic?

Lifetime has traditionally been a women-oriented channel. I just wonder if that reflects on the target demographics of taking HIMYM in syndication, or in other words if Lifetime expects a mostly female audience to watch the show.

Of course it may be that sitcoms are more popular with women than with men anyway, I don't know. For me, HIMYM is the first sitcom I've watched regularly in a long time.

Back to Barney I don't think his "feelings" for Robin are going to be a very long story, let alone lead to a permanent relationship. But the story is an exploration of his inner emotional makeup, which have more serious and deep aspects to them that he does his best to hide, even to his closest friends. That inner makeup of his has been hinted at several times in earlier seasons. I think that we'll continue to see lots of the old non-serious Barney in the next several episodes, but we may get to see just how much of a veneer his act really is.

Jenni Lou
24-09-08, 08:07 PM
Lifetime? Huh. Last time I read about the syndication deal, TBS seemed to be leading the pack. I'm not a big Lifetime fan and I don't know where HIMYM fits in in between reruns of The Golden Girls and made-for-tv movies starring Meredith Baxter-Birney. :lol: But Lifetime has been trying to expand and improve it's cable standings; they have been producing more films for its network and have found a strong audience for its series Army Wives. And it also will be the new home of Project Runway starting next season. I think they are trying to break themselves free a bit of being thought of the woman's channel that shows bad tv movies about abusive husbands, teenage pregnancy, etc...

Back to Barney I don't think his "feelings" for Robin are going to be a very long story, let alone lead to a permanent relationship. But the story is an exploration of his inner emotional makeup, which have more serious and deep aspects to them that he does his best to hide, even to his closest friends. That inner makeup of his has been hinted at several times in earlier seasons. I think that we'll continue to see lots of the old non-serious Barney in the next several episodes, but we may get to see just how much of a veneer his act really is.

Agreed! :)

buffyholic
25-09-08, 12:31 PM
NPH is awesome. His role as Barney is just amazing and it elevates the show a whole lot. Im not sure if the show would be as strong without Barney. Robin is pretty good, but the guy who plays Marshall is a bit of a letdown.

litzie
25-09-08, 12:36 PM
*GASP* You don't like Marshall?? How can you not like Marshall??

I'm just glad this season seems to be awesoming it up so much already...and remember that weird comment one of the creators made about how doing the "soap opera" for 3 years was fun but they're done with that now? It doesn't really seem that they are so much...which makes me happy!

Jenni Lou
25-09-08, 03:51 PM
I'm just glad this season seems to be awesoming it up so much already...and remember that weird comment one of the creators made about how doing the "soap opera" for 3 years was fun but they're done with that now? It doesn't really seem that they are so much...which makes me happy!

Well, the first six episodes are intended to wrap up that kind of stuff. And then the standalones begin thereafter. So don't be too quick to make that judgment! I'm sure it will be great though. :) (I hope.)

Wolfie Gilmore
25-09-08, 04:23 PM
Do you think they have gone past the point of no return with Barney? Has he gone the way of Spike, with his double entendre chip inserted?

I think the fact that he still loves Bimbos more than life itself shows the old barney is down but not out :D

Let's just not have him crying in a basement for a season, eh?

litzie
25-09-08, 04:32 PM
Oh, that's actually very upsetting! I think they shouldn't worry about attracting viewers via standalones...it's a much better show if you start from the beginning anyway. Everyone I know who watches himym watches it via word of mouth, they're a slow builder, they should just trust in their awesomeness to eventually deliver viewers!

But I will try to have faith in the writers who are generally pretty awesome...

Jenni Lou
25-09-08, 07:02 PM
Oh, that's actually very upsetting! I think they shouldn't worry about attracting viewers via standalones...it's a much better show if you start from the beginning anyway. Everyone I know who watches himym watches it via word of mouth, they're a slow builder, they should just trust in their awesomeness to eventually deliver viewers!

But I will try to have faith in the writers who are generally pretty awesome...

Oh, agreed x10. I mean, it's not like it is a show with a huge, dense mytharc that has to be deciphered piece by piece, i.e. Lost. :lol: It's a freakin' sitcom! I don't know why they don't think people can't just jump in. If someone watched this past ep and it was the first one they saw, I doubt they would be puzzled as to what was going on. :rolleyes:

litzie
25-09-08, 07:26 PM
Oh, agreed x10. I mean, it's not like it is a show with a huge, dense mytharc that has to be deciphered piece by piece, i.e. Lost. :lol: It's a freakin' sitcom! I don't know why they don't think people can't just jump in. If someone watched this past ep and it was the first one they saw, I doubt they would be puzzled as to what was going on. :rolleyes:

But I do think it's a show that's better from the beginning. I often talk to people about it and they'll go, oh, I've seen a few episodes of that show, it seems kind of funny. And then I tell them they have to start from the beginning, and the next time I talk to them they're like, DUDE, it's AWESOME!!! etc. So doing stand alone episodes isn't going to change that fact...and I don't really see what was so non-stand alone about this past one! Aside from the fact that barney had sex with robin previously, and ted asked stella to marry him. Which, duh, if you didn't figure those things out then you're an idiot and we don't want you watching our show anyway!!

Jenni Lou
25-09-08, 08:28 PM
Aside from the fact that barney had sex with robin previously, and ted asked stella to marry him. Which, duh, if you didn't figure those things out then you're an idiot and we don't want you watching our show anyway!!

:roll: And that's why your my himym pal! :xd

It is better from the beginning, for sure. Most shows are like that though. There are a few that you can just watch an ep of here or there and not get lost, but those are mostly procedural dramas like Law & Order or CSI. But some sitcoms are like that too. You can just jump into Seinfled, for example; after all, it is a show about nothing!

I do wish more people watched though. They really do not know what they are missing. It is often hilarious and still full of a big ole heart. My fiance has seen a little bit of it and liked it okay...and I told him, when it hits syndication and it's on all the time and there is nothing else on and then he is forced to watch it (:p), he will really like it!

doubleshiny
25-09-08, 10:50 PM
I think the fact that he still loves Bimbos more than life itself shows the old barney is down but not out :D

Let's just not have him crying in a basement for a season, eh?

But he was clearly LYING to make Lily give up on him!

He's gone man, solid gone.

I actually found Ted's Star Wars thing really irritating - he reminds me of all the boys I've been out with who invoke the Holy Trilogy. Boring!

I must be turning into a total Barney/Robin shipper, cause when she came out with 'Haaaaave you met Barney?" I shouted "Noooo!" at the screen like a fool. I'm such an old romantic. :heart:

watcher1006
25-09-08, 11:02 PM
*GASP* You don't like Marshall?? How can you not like Marshall??

At first it seemed to me that Marshall was a little bit of "Mr. Bland" on the show. As such he was and is a great foil for Barney's antics and a contrast to Ted's occasional over-seriousness. He is after all the Slap Bet winner. :lol: Since then I've come to think he actually is very funny in his own way. Among other things I'm fond of the scenes where Lily brings him into her kindergarden class.

Plus I was impressed with Jason Segel in last spring's movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall which he wrote as well as starred in. I've liked him in his interviews on late night TV, he seems like a genuinely nice guy, and think he has a lot of creative talent yet to show everyone.

Regarding the end of the "soap opera" I'm also of the opinion that while the show has been a serial comedy, it's not one that's all that serialized, with a lot of episodes in the past three seasons working just fine as standalones. I wonder how much the purported change in the writing will actually change the show.

buffyholic
26-09-08, 12:21 PM
I like Marshall. I find him a little "bland" but hes funny. I just think he doesnt the charm of Ted or Barney. Although I love watching him with Lily.

Speaking of the show, has anyone thought that maybe the title isnt perhaps the right one? Dont get me wrong, I love the show, its awesomely funny but the title is a little wrong. Because what Older Ted tells his kids is what an amazing journey he had with his friends before meeting their mother. What do you guys think of that? And do you have another title?

doubleshiny
26-09-08, 01:44 PM
How I Got Laid A Lot Before I Met Your Mother?

Also, I don't know if I'd want my Dad to be telling me who we went out with/proposed to before my mum. Those kids should be in therapy by now. But I loved it in the first season when he said "And that's how I met...your Aunt Robin."

I saw a film called Definitely/Maybe which was a very similar premise. In fact, it was identical, but it was pretty good all the same.

litzie
26-09-08, 02:09 PM
Yeah I actually really enjoyed Definitely Maybe. That actor, what's his name? He's gotten a lot more likable recently.

"How I spent my 20s and maybe 30s if we get renewed for at least 4 seasons?"

"How I avoided meeting your mother for a good 5 years by sleeping around, falling in love with one of my best friends and having a big ol' bromance with your uncle barney?"

Actually I really like the title because it enables the flashback style. And I think they justified it in season two in the episode where we meet Ted's parents, who don't talk about anything ever. There's the line where Ted says that when he tells his kids about how he met their mother he's going to tell the whole story and not leave anything out.

watcher1006
26-09-08, 02:34 PM
Yes, the title and the format of the show allow the flashback style, which can become a "flash-forward" style if you take the episode plots as being the present and the flash-forward events as happening sometime between now and the time that Ted is talking to his kids. Usually shows with constant narration bother me but I've found HIMYM to be an exception (as was Veronica Mars.)

But I wonder though how long this setup can continue. Say if the show lasts ten seasons - will we still see the kids still be seated on the coach listening to their dad in Season 10? I suspect not, they've already matured considerably since the beginning of Season 1. Still, if the kids stop appearing they could still have the Ted voiceover style.

litzie
26-09-08, 02:39 PM
Ha or they could make jokes about the kids aging..."DAD! We've been sitting on this couch for YEARS, when are you going to tell us about mom???"

Jenni Lou
26-09-08, 05:17 PM
Also, I don't know if I'd want my Dad to be telling me who we went out with/proposed to before my mum.

Yeah, I will admit I have found that odd. :lol:

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Definitely Maybe. That actor, what's his name? He's gotten a lot more likable recently.

Ryan Reynolds. ;)

But I wonder though how long this setup can continue. Say if the show lasts ten seasons - will we still see the kids still be seated on the coach listening to their dad in Season 10? I suspect not, they've already matured considerably since the beginning of Season 1. Still, if the kids stop appearing they could still have the Ted voiceover style.

Actually they have already shot the stuff with the kids for the series finale. They did that at the end of season two. Basically, everytime we see the kids, it is from footage that had already been shot.

watcher1006
26-09-08, 05:36 PM
Actually they have already shot the stuff with the kids for the series finale. They did that at the end of season two. Basically, everytime we see the kids, it is from footage that had already been shot.
Yes but in an extended run of say, 10-12 seasons, do they have the footage to anticipate every scene in which Ted will be talking to his kids? Doubtful. Or could they really use earlier footage over and over again? Perhaps to an extent, but I suspect that we will see less and less of the kids as the series continues. That's already been happening. I can perfectly well see them having the scene already prepared for the series finale, whenever that might be, but I don't think we will have been seeing the kids frequently if at all in the time leading up to that moment.

Of course the series can end any time, even this season, which would be too bad, but hopefully not. The ratings for the premiere seem to have been up significantly from last season, which is a good sign.

litzie
26-09-08, 05:44 PM
Ooh, yay about the ratings being up, that's awesome! Or, as barney would say, deeeeee-lightful! delightful!

interesting re them already having shot the kids - though not surprising at all. the kinds don't really ahve a lot of depth...or acting ability, so I'm glad they're not around very much!

Jenni Lou
26-09-08, 06:03 PM
Yes but in an extended run of say, 10-12 seasons, do they have the footage to anticipate every scene in which Ted will be talking to his kids? Doubtful. Or could they really use earlier footage over and over again? Perhaps to an extent, but I suspect that we will see less and less of the kids as the series continues. That's already been happening. I can perfectly well see them having the scene already prepared for the series finale, whenever that might be, but I don't think we will have been seeing the kids frequently if at all in the time leading up to that moment.

Of course the series can end any time, even this season, which would be too bad, but hopefully not. The ratings for the premiere seem to have been up significantly from last season, which is a good sign.

1. Yeah, agreed. Although I think 10-12 seasons is pushing it. :lol: But we have been seeing the kids less. And when we do they have no speaking lines. So the recycled footage works well enough.

2. Yes, I am happy about the ratings. :) But I don't know how long they will stay up. The timeslot is a tough one. Chuck will return soon. And it is also up against Dancing with the Stars, I believe. And then there is Terminator: TSCC and Gossip Girl. So the demographic is the same for most of these, meaning a decrease in audience may be in the future. :/ *fingers crossed* that doesn't happen.

watcher1006
27-09-08, 04:03 AM
Yes, looking at the show as it is now, it does seem that 10-12 seasons is pushing it. That is a long time for any show. But Friends lasted ten seasons (BTW I was not a fan of that show), which was probably more than what most of the people involved with it expected at the beginning.

Of course the huge ratings it was able to build were essential to its longevity but I also think Friends had an easier premise to maintain, as there was no one big event that the series was supposed to be leading up toward. It leads me to believe that if HIMYM is going to have a long run of, say, more than five or six seasons the show will re-invent itself along the way, in some fashion as yet unknown.

I agree that HIMYM will have tough competition in its 8:30pm Monday slot but I remain optimistic. For one thing I suspect that Dancing With The Stars which in the past has regularly beat up everyone from 8:00-9:00 may have peaked.

watcher1006
30-09-08, 04:52 AM
After the great season premiere I was a bit let down by Episode 4.02, "Leave The Bat". No continuation of the Robin-Barney story of the Stella-Ted story in this one. I imagine we will have to wait.

Regis Philbin was funny but all that story about finding a burger? Well I can attest to having had an awfully good burger in New York City, I personally think there's more than one place to find one.

It was an unnerving coincidence that this episode should air on the same day that the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by a record amount, the day the U.S. Congress rejected the financial services bailout bill. It felt bizarre that Barney should be talking up his company's acquisition of "Goliath National Bank", and Marshall taking a job there, at exactly the time that Wall Street and the whole financial services industry is in such a grave and public crisis.

Edit, addition: There seem to be different titles floating around for this Episode 4.02. I've also seen "World's Greatest Burger" and "Best Burger in New York". I went with the title I saw on the CBS site.

Jenni Lou
30-09-08, 06:02 AM
Yeah, weird. "World's Greatest Burger" and "The Best Burger in New York" were the two titles I heard. This isn't the first time this has happened though. There were two eps last season that had different tiels floating around even after they aired. Annoying!

Anyway...yeah...big coincidence with the Goliath storyline and the current financial crisis. I didn't even notice the connection, probably because I am tuning that stuff out right. Too depressing! :(

But...this ep was definitely a standalone ep. I didn't think we were going to get one so soon, esp. since this one was very standalone.

It was okay. I wasn't laughing out loud or anything though. :/

DigitalLeonardo
30-09-08, 08:09 AM
Really? I enjoyed this episode alot. I think its been awhile since we've had a single storyline with the 5 characters. So it was a nice change to just be a standalone episode.

I think there was some great oneliners and I just loved Robin through out the entire thing. Just her deperation to eat!

Maybe not the greatest episode, but its very old school. A part of me a bit sick of the Ted/Stella storyline right now. I just have no hope for it so I don't think I can keep myself into it.

litzie
30-09-08, 11:36 AM
I'm of two minds on this one
I did like having the whole gang together, and I thought there were a lot of moments that were really true - Poor Marshall's speeches to himself before each interview, Robin's hilarious 1 day 7 day purging diet or whatever it's called, the teaser where they couldn't decide where to eat, which i s a conversation I've had with groups of friends many times. But other parts were a bit silly...Regis Philbin was kinda funny, but mostly just silly. And the Goliath bank stuff was ill timed...financial crisis and all. Also...why didn't marshall get a wig for the flashbacks! Lilly has to wear that ridiculous red wig, and now Marshall's hair is different enough that he really needs one too! And if it looked bad and wig like, that would only add to the funny.

The thing that's disturbing is, I don't think this WAS a stand-alone. I think this counted as one of the "soapy" ones. Because they were tying up the story of Marshall's unemployment. In a hugely depressing way, btw! I wanted him to get a nice environmental job! sad.

So, yes funny, but no not as funny as the premiere at all, and not really up to the standard I was expecting. I hope that next week's episode is back to the funny!

watcher1006
30-09-08, 03:35 PM
Yes, I did notice that the episode continued the story of Marshall's job hunt that was part of the season premiere, and indeed goes back to Season 3. But apart from that the episode felt like it could have been dropped into the season at some later point as well as in Season 4's second spot. The show has switched the episode sequence before, I recall that Season 3's "Third Wheel" wasn't originally supposed to be episode 3.03, though I don't remember all of the details of that switch.

That goes back to what I said before, that I don't think the show is so serialized the way it's being written now. It remains to be seen how much difference there will be when they go to their explicit "standalone" format.

I did say that the episode was kind of a letdown for me, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment. The very enjoyable Season 4 premiere was a hard act to follow. Regis Philbin is a fun guy. He looked small standing next to the male cast of HIMYM in the gym. I know Jason Segel is very big, I hadn't thought of Neil Patrick Harris and Josh Radnor as being big guys too. Funny when Regis called Marshall "Lurk". And I laughed when Lily pounded on Barney by the ATM machine in angry frustration because Goliath National Bank had taken over the location of the old burger place.

litzie
30-09-08, 05:27 PM
Yes, I did notice that the episode continued the story of Marshall's job hunt that was part of the season premiere, and indeed goes back to Season 3. But apart from that the episode felt like it could have been dropped into the season at some later point as well as in Season 4's second spot. The show has switched the episode sequence before, I recall that Season 3's "Third Wheel" wasn't originally supposed to be episode 3.03, though I don't remember all of the details of that switch.

That goes back to what I said before, that I don't think the show is so serialized the way it's being written now. It remains to be seen how much difference there will be when they go to their explicit "standalone" format.

I did say that the episode was kind of a letdown for me, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment. The very enjoyable Season 4 premiere was a hard act to follow. Regis Philbin is a fun guy. He looked small standing next to the male cast of HIMYM in the gym. I know Jason Segel is very big, I hadn't thought of Neil Patrick Harris and Josh Radnor as being big guys too. Funny when Regis called Marshall "Lurk". And I laughed when Lily pounded on Barney by the ATM machine in angry frustration because Goliath National Bank had taken over the location of the old burger place.

Yeah I love it when Lily is violent! violence = funny!

The size of the himym cast has always impressed me greatly...most actors are so short! I didn't notice it at all until I started a Buffy rewatch and realized that Willow is taller than Buffy and almost as tall as Xander...and then I see AH on himym and she's the tiny one of the group!

And I would say that the episode wasn't a disappointment, but I might have been a tiny bit disappointed, because my expectations were so high after the premiere!

watcher1006
07-10-08, 04:50 AM
Episode 4.03 - I :heart: NJ

I wasn't quite so caught up in this one.

The humor seemed a bit labored. Barney keeping his hand up and up for a knuckle tap wasn't that funny. Robin getting to the news desk in half an hour was only mildly so. I couldn't really get into the New York snobbery. I suppose that something like that exists but there are an awful lot of people who work in New York and who live in New Jersey. I liked Marshall's phony tirade about being too big for New York, he actually made some relevant points.

Well they got back into the Stella-Ted story big time. I started to wonder if they were setting up for a breakup.That certainly didn't turn out to be the case but where do they go from here? Ted can't possibly be leaving New York. And Robin going to Tokyo? I don't know about that one either but the way Barney looked at her at when she told them the news suggested to me that their story isn't over.

Jenni Lou
07-10-08, 06:48 AM
Yeah, the premiere was still the best of the season so far. This episode did feel a little disjointed when it came to the humor. I agree that Barney keeping his hand up for a fist bump was pretty lame. Normally I don't think Barney would do that. He would just mumble something about how awesome he is and tell his friends to screw off...of course, he wouldn't put it like that. :lol:

I actually know spoilers for the Ted/Stella and Robin/Barney angles so I am going to refrain from discussing those things. ;)

watcher1006
07-10-08, 02:37 PM
The juxtaposition of Marshall's tirade about New York and Robin's assignment to Tokyo brings to my mind a story I read a while back in the NY Times about the current generation of young Japanese people and the size of public spaces. Young Japanese people are just a lot bigger on average than they used to be and things like subway cars are built with tops that were meant for smaller people. A lot more Japanese folks have trouble fitting into such spaces than used to be the case.

It's not like they are talking about that problem in New York. But I've spent plenty of time there and during busy times it really can feel like you don't have elbow room just walking on the sidewalk in midtown Manhatten or in the financial area south.

Yeah, maybe we need spoiler within spoiler posting capability in this forum! I have sources to look up spoilers several episodes ahead but I generally avoid doing so. For the moment I'm content to just wait and see how they are going to resolve these situations with the the two pairings.

DigitalLeonardo
08-10-08, 01:00 AM
I have yet too see the latest episode... But I did recently buy Season 3 on DVD and wanted to do a mini review!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/binis/himym.jpg

Package:
I was very unsure at first, but now adays companies don't care about matching DVD boxsets so I've thrown THAT out the window and will judge this souly on its own. The cover art is simple, but effective. The black looks great in hand and the little sandcastle is rather cute (though random). The slim-packs have the same image as the cover. This matches up with the season 1 and 2. The disc art is also black, disc 1 has a trycicle disc 2 has a butterfly and disc three has a sandcastle.

One issue I did have is the giant sticker on the cover (well... on the wrapper) that says in BOLD: FEATURING THE AWSOME BRITNEY SPEARS EPISODES. Like that is the only reason people would by it...

Special Features:
ALOT of special features round out this season. Well alot of commentaries anyways. And incase people don't know I LOVE COMMENTARIES!!! They are the reason why DVDs are perfect. We get SEVEN commentaries. The commentaries are teamed with producers/directs and actors.
- "The Platinum Rule"
- "Ten Sessions", Jason Radnor [Ted], Sarah Chalke [Stella]
- "The Bracket", Neil Patrick Harris [Barney]
- "The Chain of Screaming", Jason Segel [Marshall]
- "Sandcastles in the Sand", Cobie Smulders [Robin]
- "Everything Must Go", Alyson Hannigan [Lily]
- "Mircales"
The commentaries are so amusing and it just shows that these people LOVE what they are doing. The only commentary that wasn't too interesting was sadly the one with Alyson Hannigan... It was kinda weird... But I'll let you decided.

Other features:

Lily and Marshall's Honeymoon Videos
These 4 videos are worth the price of the DVD boxset alone! These are filmed as if Lily and Marshall were actually on their honeymoon and Alyson Hannigan and Jason Segel are just hilarous! They just stay in character so well! I love Marhsall's hunt for nessy. It is just way to funny! You will crack up non-stop. I watched these 3 times now and they are still funny.

Series Retrospect
Is just a HUGE recap of the first 2 seasons. It is entertaining to watch once, and reminds you of things and is, of course, narriated by future Ted. Besides being about a two minute recap, it has no other value and is seems almost more like an advertisement for the series then anything.

Cast Favorite
These were cbs.com and ar just the cast talking about their favorite episodes. If you havn't seen they are rather interesting too see what the cast have to say about the episodes. It worth a watch or two ^_^

Behind the Scenes: 3x02 "We're Not From Here"
Is kind of a random episode to go behind the scenes of, but it was rather interesting. I would have loved too see more episodes with this kinda feature cause they get some pretty interesting stuff out and Cobie Smulders is just amusing!

The set is rounded out by additional scenes, a freaking HILARIOUS Gag Reel (as always) and the Robin Sparkes "Sandcastles In The Sand" music video. Which looks amazing on wide screen and surround sound! It is so crisp. And will get ALOT of use!

All in all, just a really solid DVD. Much like the first two seasons FOX has put out some awsome boxsets.

Jenni Lou
08-10-08, 01:17 AM
thanks for the review! I am excited for all the commentaries and can't wait until I can afford to pick up my own copy. Plus, the music video...I was excited for that already! :) But I am so happy there are several commentaries. Those are really the only special features that I enjoy and I look forward to hearing them!! :)

DigitalLeonardo
08-10-08, 06:35 PM
Yeah the commentaries work so well with comedy shows like this, just filled with jokes and alot of onset crazyness they bring up. Like Alyson Hannigan brings up her dog kissing Britney Spears and showing off to her other dogs :P just crazy stuff!

And I want to promote this DVD as much as I can, cause... I fear if it doesn't sell well then HIMYM won't make it for a season 5 (Which I really want it too have... 5 seasons would be really good!)

Jenni Lou
09-10-08, 03:36 AM
And I want to promote this DVD as much as I can, cause... I fear if it doesn't sell well then HIMYM won't make it for a season 5 (Which I really want it too have... 5 seasons would be really good!)

All the show needs is one more renewal. After it gets a s5 then the networks will sooo much money off the syndication deal that it won't mind keeping it on the air longer because they will be making loads of cash. That's the dream for the networks, that their shows make it a fifth season because all the real money is made when other networks rerun the hell out of it!

Plus, Lifetime bought some syndication rights already and it was one of the largest syndication deals in history, I read! :) So I think that is good news for the show.

Add to that that the ratings aren't bad. But for some reasons there is a handful of network bigwigs who just don't like the show--for whatever reason--and that is where all those cancellation rumors comes from.

watcher1006
09-10-08, 05:22 AM
I wonder how much the CBS suits count DVD sales in their decisions whether or not to renew their shows. Sales figures can be readily quantified. It's hard to quantify TV viewership. DVD sales numbers are obviously not available for new shows but for long-running shows you'd think they matter.

Traditionally shows live or die by their Neilsen ratings. All the network decision makers and advertisers still have their eyes glued to them. Meanwhile their value in gauging what people are watching becomes ever more questionable. These days of DVRs and downloads and streamed content and, yes DVDs too are making the old ratings criteria less relevant, and doing so quickly. Seems to me that the networks are lagging in their perception of the changing TV landscape, and that not too long from now we will see changes in the way the success of shows are measured. Not that anyone knows exactly how it will be done.

And I continue to wonder what it is that some of those CBS network people reportedly have against this show.:confused:

DigitalLeonardo
10-10-08, 12:15 PM
Yeah, maybe we need spoiler within spoiler posting capability in this forum! I have sources to look up spoilers several episodes ahead but I generally avoid doing so. For the moment I'm content to just wait and see how they are going to resolve these situations with the the two pairings.

Oh you can put the spoilers in spoilers. SEE ^_^

:2party:

Now I FIANLLY caught up and watch the latest episode.

I guess it was okay. I liked last weeks episode alot more, but I do like Stella. I'm torn on the entire Stella/Ted relationship... I like it, but I don't... I just don't know how to feel so I am gunna wait and see what happends before I make any final judgement.

The Barney thing was a bit... yeah lame. They all seemed kinda teenagerish. I wish they'd do more with Lily, I feel Alyson Hannigan is being so under-used. I did like the Robin stuff, that bike thing was funny cause come on, you know you would tell everyone you flipped over a car :lol: and her chase to the station, plus sticking up for herself.

Now Robin moving to Japan? Err... I really do hope we don't get the old-switch and Stella becomes a regular while Robin gets shipped over sears... I think I might actually stop watching the series!

The scene with Ted and Lucy was really touching and I do like how this series makes a great balance and that these characters are people and not just jokes (kind like what Friends became...)

I really hope the season starts to pick up a bit, cause I want something on the level of "Slap Bet"!

litzie
10-10-08, 12:51 PM
I wonder how much the CBS suits count DVD sales in their decisions whether or not to renew their shows. Sales figures can be readily quantified. It's hard to quantify TV viewership. DVD sales numbers are obviously not available for new shows but for long-running shows you'd think they matter.

Traditionally shows live or die by their Neilsen ratings. All the network decision makers and advertisers still have their eyes glued to them. Meanwhile their value in gauging what people are watching becomes ever more questionable. These days of DVRs and downloads and streamed content and, yes DVDs too are making the old ratings criteria less relevant, and doing so quickly. Seems to me that the networks are lagging in their perception of the changing TV landscape, and that not too long from now we will see changes in the way the success of shows are measured. Not that anyone knows exactly how it will be done.

And I continue to wonder what it is that some of those CBS network people reportedly have against this show.:confused:
Well networks don't make money off dvds...or if they do, it's limited to a license fee of some sort. Production companies (in himym's case, Fox) makes and sells the dvds and gets the profits. DVD sales might make networks think they're gaining more of an audience for the show, but that's about it. Ratings are important because the broadcast networks like CBS, NBC, Fox and ABC make all their money from advertising revenues, and advertisers pay by the eyeball. (at least cable channels get revenue from selling their service to cable operators and satellite operators, so they're not as completely reliant on ad sales). However himym does particularly well among young viewers for CBS, which traditionally has a pretty old audience. So I think that is one of the appeals, because they just don't have that much that appeals to young viewers.

Now I FIANLLY caught up and watch the latest episode.

I guess it was okay. I liked last weeks episode alot more, but I do like Stella. I'm torn on the entire Stella/Ted relationship... I like it, but I don't... I just don't know how to feel so I am gunna wait and see what happends before I make any final judgement.

The Barney thing was a bit... yeah lame. They all seemed kinda teenagerish. I wish they'd do more with Lily, I feel Alyson Hannigan is being so under-used. I did like the Robin stuff, that bike thing was funny cause come on, you know you would tell everyone you flipped over a car :lol: and her chase to the station, plus sticking up for herself.

Now Robin moving to Japan? Err... I really do hope we don't get the old-switch and Stella becomes a regular while Robin gets shipped over sears... I think I might actually stop watching the series!

The scene with Ted and Lucy was really touching and I do like how this series makes a great balance and that these characters are people and not just jokes (kind like what Friends became...)

I really hope the season starts to pick up a bit, cause I want something on the level of "Slap Bet"!
Re the most recent episode:
I really liked it! I loved Barney's fist bump thing. It was totally hilarious, and so completely believable...I can totally picture Barney doing that, and I can totally picture the gang's response. Also I love him and Lily together so their little bitty scenes were great.

Also I thought the NY/NJ stuff was hysterical. Dude. That is so how people think! And also true about people who move to new jersey and never go back to the city!

And I totally believed that Marshall hates the city...since he kind of wants to move back to minnesota!

And I'm sad/glad Robin's moved on from her hilarious job...I'll miss metro news one. But I don't think there's any chance that she's leaving the show at all.

Stella however I'm starting to find kind of boring. She just doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the group. And I feel like her and ted is really forced at times. Dunno.

watcher1006
10-10-08, 03:50 PM
Oh you can put the spoilers in spoilers. SEE ^_^

Point made! Thanks a bunch. :)

You never know what vB code is enabled in what forum.

litzie-you make a good point about networks not getting money from DVD sales. I'm not aware of the details but I never had the impression that DVD sales mattered at all to the networks.

litzie-my feeling was that Marshall was putting on a show of exaggerated NY hate for Ted's benefit, but realized he couldn't keep it up.

Everyone - do you have the feeling that Ted's friends haven't entirely warmed up to Stella? They didn't seem very accommodating in this episode.

Ted can't be moving to New York and Robin can't be relocating to Tokyo, right? We have a lot of story yet to see (and no, I haven't been perusing the spoiler sites.)

Jenni Lou
10-10-08, 08:45 PM
P
litzie-my feeling was that Marshall was putting on a show of exaggerated NY hate for Ted's benefit, but realized he couldn't keep it up.

Everyone - do you have the feeling that Ted's friends haven't entirely warmed up to Stella? They didn't seem very accommodating in this episode.

Ted can't be moving to New York and Robin can't be relocating to Tokyo, right? We have a lot of story yet to see (and no, I haven't been perusing the spoiler sites.)

1. I didn't feel like he was putting on a show. IN fact I got the impression that the reason he stopped his tirade was because he saw the look on Lily's face and he could tell she didn't like what she was hearing. I don't think he hates NY, I just think he had to vent about it a bit. He and Lily did have a convo about where to raise their children a long while back and he had mentioned that he would like to go back to St. Cloud. So I believe his speech was genuine, if only slightly exaggerated.

2. Yeah, they don't seem to thrilled with Stella. But I suspect that their feelings are rooted by the speediness with which the relationship is progressing. I don't think they are too happy that they are already engaged. There's been a few comments here and there where they tell him that he doesn't actually know her. So I don't tihnk it's that they don't like Stella, they just don't like how fast the couple is going.

3. Well, we already know from last season that on Ted's 31st bday Robin is living with him in his apartment. So I think it's safe to assume that Ted won't be moving to NJ and something will happen with Tokyo...my guess is that that Tokyo deal falls through after Robin has already let go of her apartment and then moves in with Ted because she has nowhere else to go. I haven't read any spoilers on this; this is just conjecture based on what we already know.

watcher1006
11-10-08, 08:37 AM
Actually, I'd prefer to think that Marshall was expressing his true feelings. A lot of what he said had a familiar ring to it. Being too big for New York, haha!:roll: For sure subway cars don't have big seat and it's convenient not to be too wide. Still, if he thinks New York is built too small for him he should should be glad he's not the one going to Tokyo!

Still I for one love New York City, though it would be intense living there. I've also been to St. Cloud Minnesota, in the winter. Pretty but rather too rural for me.

DigitalLeonardo
13-10-08, 08:21 AM
3. Well, we already know from last season that on Ted's 31st bday Robin is living with him in his apartment. So I think it's safe to assume that Ted won't be moving to NJ and something will happen with Tokyo...my guess is that that Tokyo deal falls through after Robin has already let go of her apartment and then moves in with Ted because she has nowhere else to go. I haven't read any spoilers on this; this is just conjecture based on what we already know.

I actually totally forgot about that, which makes me HAPPY!!! That is something to look for, for sure. So I will take a guess and go with Robin will move in by episode 10. Last season Ted's birthday was episode 17 so I will inbetween episode 10 and 17 Robin will move in and I think Stella will be gone.

I just kinda feel bad for Stella. Well the writers seem to be forcing her in and it is painful. They didn't have this problem with Victoria (god I loved her!) so I don't see why they are having such an issue with getting Stella to click. Maybe its Sarah Chalke? Maybe she is too well known in her other role on Scrubs (and even Roseanne) that its hard for her to kinda fit the style of HIMYM. Maybe she is just to familar to see her as a different character (and it doesn't help that she is also a doctor...

Just one more note, I was reading on tv.com some comments that people want a third Robin Sparkles video... But I have to say even being a huge Robin Sparkles fan - a third video would be over kill. The second was a great surprise, a third would just be a repeditave story line that would seem WAY to forced...

Jenni Lou
13-10-08, 08:55 AM
I just kinda feel bad for Stella. Well the writers seem to be forcing her in and it is painful. They didn't have this problem with Victoria (god I loved her!) so I don't see why they are having such an issue with getting Stella to click. Maybe its Sarah Chalke? Maybe she is too well known in her other role on Scrubs (and even Roseanne) that its hard for her to kinda fit the style of HIMYM. Maybe she is just to familar to see her as a different character (and it doesn't help that she is also a doctor...

Just one more note, I was reading on tv.com some comments that people want a third Robin Sparkles video... But I have to say even being a huge Robin Sparkles fan - a third video would be over kill. The second was a great surprise, a third would just be a repeditave story line that would seem WAY to forced...

1. Yeah, it does feel a bit forced. I think it's another one of those things that might have suffered because the writers strike. They inserted Stella in and she was only in a couple eps and then BAM! marriage proposal. I think maybe the writers were in a rush to introduce her and get to the proposal that the story kind of suffered for it. I also really loved Victoria and I think that relationship worked better because both parties were impulsive and ready to delve into a romance, whereas Stella was reluctant.

2. Agreed. The reason I don't think a third video would work is because Robin says that "Sandcastles" was here "big follow-up to 'Let's Go to the Mall' and it kinda tanked." And that line to me says that she never made another video or album and that her singing career was over. But I so do love Robin Sparkles and both eps that focused on her alter ego are among my faves ever. In fact, I think Slap Bet might actually be my number one ep! :D

DigitalLeonardo
13-10-08, 09:03 AM
1. Yeah, it does feel a bit forced. I think it's another one of those things that might have suffered because the writers strike. They inserted Stella in and she was only in a couple eps and then BAM! marriage proposal. I think maybe the writers were in a rush to introduce her and get to the proposal that the story kind of suffered for it. I also really loved Victoria and I think that relationship worked better because both parties were impulsive and ready to delve into a romance, whereas Stella was reluctant.

2. Agreed. The reason I don't think a third video would work is because Robin says that "Sandcastles" was here "big follow-up to 'Let's Go to the Mall' and it kinda tanked." And that line to me says that she never made another video or album and that her singing career was over. But I so do love Robin Sparkles and both eps that focused on her alter ego are among my faves ever. In fact, I think Slap Bet might actually be my number one ep! :D

1. That is a good point. I still think the Writers could have reworked their plans to make it so Ted proposed maybe during the winter hiatus rather then the summer one... That way we would have gotten more Stella time and would be able to get more attached to her character. I really liked Stella as a one-shot character and kinda wish she would have stayed that way. "Ten Sessions" was such an amusing episode and that last-ditch effort from Ted to get her to go out with him reminded me so much of what he did with Robin, but that spark has just kinda faded...

2. Agreed! "Slap Bet" was just epic. Only because it was so freaking outta the blue that you couldn't help but die with laughter. Personally the reason I like Robin Sparkles so much is just for all the Canadian jokes/reffs. Again I would still love a Robin Sparkles CD or EP with maybe one or two new songs. Just for the fact that I would love to have the Robin Sparkles CD in my collection - how awsome would that be? :lol:

watcher1006
13-10-08, 04:38 PM
I remember hearing that if there had been no writers' strike that Season 3 would have been 24 episodes, as opposed to the typical 22. Instead we just got 19 (correction: 20). So it seems that they had to rush the storyline somewhat. Clearly it was being set up during the pre-strike part of the season. In "The Platinum Rule" the action in the apartment occurs as Ted is getting ready for what he thought was his date with "Stella" at the movies, and then late in the episode he has learned that she is prohibited from dating a patient. All that gets picked up in the post-strike "Ten Sessions" but there was a lot of lost time in between.

In the streamed Matt Roush interviews whose link I posted earlier people seemed to be complimentary of Sarah Chalke herself. I think it was on Craig Ferguson in a guest appearance she said she got called to the set of HIMYM the night before she had to appear on set for the filming of "Ten Sessions". The production had been thrown into confusion by the pullout of Alicia Silverstone, who was originally supposed to play Stella. She apparently couldn't deal wth the anticipated hassle of having Britney Spears in the mix. But Sarah Chalke was happy to take the role. She said she loves HIMYM, and as she was going to be playing another doctor all she had to do was take her white coat from her Elliot Reid role in Scrubs and put a pocket protector over her name tag.

Incidentally she's originally from Canada too, like Cobie Smulders.

watcher1006
14-10-08, 04:59 AM
Episode 4.04 - Intervention

I liked this episode a lot. It was great to see those flashbacks of everyone's history in the apartment. Ted with his mace or whatever, Robin and Lily brawling, Barney setting the banner on fire, Marshall with his silly hat. Oh well, moving IS hard, with all the memories. Barney's old man act just got funnier and funnier as the episode went on. The last scene with the intervention to make him cut it out was just great with him pretending not to be able to hear his friends and distorting everything they said. The "intervention" thing naturally reminded me of the S5 Buffy episode of the same title, as well as some other Buffy episodes incorporating the same idea.

Well the intervention for Ted which was supposed to not happen but happened anyway just confirms the uneasiness Ted's friends had with him and Stella, and the year flashforward felt like an assurance that the group wasn't breaking up and scattering - not that it really seemed possible anyway.

Jenni Lou
14-10-08, 05:12 AM
I enjoyed it too. More than the past two eps. I laughed out loud at some points. My fiance actually watched most of it with me and he was laughing too. Which warms my heart because he doesn't watch the show often at all. :xd I don't have too much to say about it besides what had me laughing....but I feel like this was a kind of middle ep between the characters past and what's to come. Because everyone is at a crossroads of sorts. So I thought that it was appropriate that there was some reminiscing, :)

DigitalLeonardo
14-10-08, 05:19 AM
I agree with you two, this was a really good episode. It just had a nice balance of all the characters and felt like a classic episode.

I always love the flashbacks, cause it is just so funny too see what these 5 get up too. Robin and Lily's fight was just perfect and so funny! What did Ted say, when she got all "Canadian"? And all her refs to Canadian things and Tim Hortons! I LOVE that there are these small jokes that I'm guessing American viewers won't get, but I just love it! Plus anything with Barney's magic just makes me burst into laughs.

I really hope the rest of the season keeps up this pace.

Now with the shot of the year later, it makes me happy and excited too see what will happen to keep them with the apartment and I think we will be getting a good Robin episode soon.

Willow's Tara
15-10-08, 01:10 AM
All the show needs is one more renewal. After it gets a s5 then the networks will sooo much money off the syndication deal that it won't mind keeping it on the air longer because they will be making loads of cash. That's the dream for the networks, that their shows make it a fifth season because all the real money is made when other networks rerun the hell out of it!

Plus, Lifetime bought some syndication rights already and it was one of the largest syndication deals in history, I read! :) So I think that is good news for the show.

Add to that that the ratings aren't bad. But for some reasons there is a handful of network bigwigs who just don't like the show--for whatever reason--and that is where all those cancellation rumors comes from.

Wai a minute, do you mean shows can get cancelled if some network people don't like it? That they have the right to do that? I thought it had to do with ratings and how many people even watch the shows...Referring to the last line btw.

And now referring to your last post. I think the Writer's Strike screwed alot of things up. Heroes, Supernatural (Although it was still good), How I met your mother etc, they were rushed and could have been done better, I like Victoria better then Stella too (Oi! Maybe she's is the mother? Or maybe she will come back this or next season, afterall she said she had to go for three years right? It has been three years now so maybe they will bring her back).

Anyway, because of the strike shows like Bionic Woman didn't even stand a chanc (Okay maybe mainly the reason why I liked it is because I thought the main actress Michelle Ryan was hot and the leather certinely helped). I think Moonlight suffered the same as well didn't it? (Kept forgetting to watch it but got to watch about 1-3 episodes on my cousin computer, it wasn't bad)

Jenni Lou
15-10-08, 02:47 AM
Wai a minute, do you mean shows can get cancelled if some network people don't like it? That they have the right to do that? I thought it had to do with ratings and how many people even watch the shows...Referring to the last line btw.

Basically. The networks heads have supreme power. They can pretty much ax anything if they want to. If HIMYM's rating were huge, I doubt that there would be talk of cancellation because the show would be raining money on the studio. The fact that it has decent but not stellar ratings and some of the top folks at CBS don't care for the show....well, it doesn't help the show. Still, I think we don't have to worry much about its survival at this point. I;m pretty sure a fifth season is inevitable since it does open up that lucrative syndication market.

And now referring to your last post. I think the Writer's Strike screwed alot of things up. Heroes, Supernatural (Although it was still good), How I met your mother etc, they were rushed and could have been done better,

Very true. The writer's strike hurt a ton of shows.

Anyway, because of the strike shows like Bionic Woman didn't even stand a chanc (Okay maybe mainly the reason why I liked it is because I thought the main actress Michelle Ryan was hot and the leather certinely helped). I think Moonlight suffered the same as well didn't it? (Kept forgetting to watch it but got to watch about 1-3 episodes on my cousin computer, it wasn't bad)

Well I think Bionic Woman was hurt long before the strike. It's ratings were beyond dismal. Moonlight, I think, was hurt by the strike though. It only aired a few new eps after the strike ended and by then, after such a long hiatus--which is a terrible place for a new, struggling show to be in--it was unable to attract more viewers. But Moonlight was already in a painful position because its time slot was in the deadly Friday night lineup. Hardly any shows do well on Fridays. :/ Add to that that CBS didn't seem to care for that show either. Sometimes networks believe in a show and keep it on the air just hoping people will eventually find it. That's the case with Pushing Daisies. ABC loves it and even thought the ratings are still low, they are holding out, just hoping....

But yeah, generally I think the strike just hurt a lot of our faves. You can't blame the writers too much. They had certain places they needed to be at to end their seasons and they had to find ways to re-hook audiences. Sometimes they went waaay overboard in their attempts, i.e. Bones. :lol:

Enough rambling. :xd

I uploaded some new ep stills for the next couple eps. (Some are really spoilery so look at your own risk!) but it appears we will be having a non-Robin Sparkles Robin flashback soon. :) And that's not spoilery--cause let's face it--the whole show is filled with FBs...if this past ep is any indication! :lol:

Wolfie Gilmore
15-10-08, 08:50 AM
Barney's "I'm from the future, you have to sleep with my younger self" stunt is possibly his finest so far. Genius. The random insult to the French was random - do Americans think of the French as slutty?

doubleshiny
15-10-08, 11:40 AM
Barney's "I'm from the future, you have to sleep with my younger self" stunt is possibly his finest so far. Genius. The random insult to the French was random - do Americans think of the French as slutty?

Is it wrong that being an avid Heroes watcher I would probably fall for that?

I still prefer his 'I'm a ghost who can only have corporeal form once every 10 years' line.

watcher1006
15-10-08, 04:01 PM

Hmmm...the French can get some bad derogatory comments in this country. About five years ago there was actually some people saying (jokingly or not) that a certain form of cooked potatoes should be called "freedom fries" (not that they were truly French to begin with, I actually don't know.) That was around the time the U.S. government was at loggerheads with the French, among others, over invading Iraq. But the sluttiness - I've always thought it was a stereotype of the French being willing to experiment, rather than actual sluttiness. At least that's my take on it.

It's funny but this show, because of the flashback narrated style does have time travel, not for the characters but effectively for the audience. Ted is talking to his children in 2030, the action of the episodes takes place in the present, so there are a bit more than 20 years of scenes to flash forward to.

Jenni Lou
15-10-08, 07:58 PM

I didn't take that line as referring to the French as slutty. I thought it was a remark on how the French were less ageist and more willing to sleep with older people. Don't know of that's necessarily true but that's how it sounded to me! :)

buffyholic
16-10-08, 12:21 PM
Youre pretty advanced on HIMYM. Im only in episode 7 of season 3. Its such a drag watching only one episode per week. Is it here that Britney plays a recepcionist?

Jenni Lou
16-10-08, 05:14 PM
Youre pretty advanced on HIMYM. Im only in episode 7 of season 3. Its such a drag watching only one episode per week. Is it here that Britney plays a recepcionist?

No, Britney doesn't show up until the 13th ep of season three. And then she makes another appearance a few eps later. :)

Nikki
20-10-08, 04:58 PM
This week's HIMYM was probably one of my favourite in a long time. And I think it's because it was just about the gang, I feel Ted and Stella just don't work together. I loved Barney coming back as an old man from the future just to get laid.. seems like a lot of work but it was so funny! And I laughed so much at the interventions they had for everything. Loved the flashbacks of the stuff that happened in the apartment too, just a really great episode.

Definitely want some more of those this season, not that I think this season is week, just there was stuff I missed and this episode delivered it!

watcher1006
21-10-08, 04:35 AM
Episode 4.05 - Shelter Island

DO you never invite an ex to your wedding? Seems to me it depends on the couple's history. In Ted's case it's been clear all along that he'd never entirely gotten past Robin. After all he had the falling out with Barney over her late last season.

It never seemed truly possible that Stella would be the mother but if this is how it ends it seems a bit on the cheap side. The episode had kind of a hollow feeling to it.

Jenni Lou
21-10-08, 05:10 AM
Yeah, he never really got past Robin all the way. They really only broke up because he wanted something she wasn't willing to give him. So I thought that it was nice that she acknowledged it was "weird" because in a way they are just being friends for the sake of the group. Although I am sure that changes one day and all those feelings will subside. She is "Aunt Robin" after all!

It was an okay ep. I enjoyed it well enough. I wouldn't call it "hollow" per se...it just felt rushed, much like the wedding was. It was like all of the sudden BAM! this is the day.

I did enjoy Barney trying to fend off Stella's sister's advances. :lol: He was trying soooo hard.

And the Robin Japan stuff was lame and I didn't laugh at all. I know they out some crazy stuff on tv there but this didn't feel right to me. :/

Wolfie Gilmore
21-10-08, 12:38 PM
I didn't take that line as referring to the French as slutty. I thought it was a remark on how the French were less ageist and more willing to sleep with older people. Don't know of that's necessarily true but that's how it sounded to me! :)

That makes sense, yes!

Still waiting to see this week's...shall I look at spoilers...oh I can't decide!

watcher1006
22-10-08, 05:22 PM
It was an okay ep. I enjoyed it well enough. I wouldn't call it "hollow" per se...it just felt rushed, much like the wedding was. It was like all of the sudden BAM! this is the day.

When you think about it, a LOT happened in this episode, and I tend to feel cheated when a multi-episode story, indeed one stretching over two seasons in this case, comes to a resolution so quickly.

We didn't have enough Stella appearances with the group to truly feel a Robin/Stella rivalry over Ted. And we hadn't seen Stella's ex before this episode, and it would have been nice to have seen him at least once before we saw him this time. I know, I know, it''s only a half-hour show and the writers don't want to be too soap-operaish in a comedy series, but this sort of thing creates a feel of discontinuity.

I did enjoy Barney trying to fend off Stella's sister's advances. :lol: He was trying soooo hard.

Yes, she was really funny. But is this how the Robin/Barney story comes to an end?

And the Robin Japan stuff was lame and I didn't laugh at all. I know they out some crazy stuff on tv there but this didn't feel right to me. :/

I entirely agree. The scenes with Robin at her job in Japan were too ridiculous and I thought they smacked of stereotyping.

Jenni Lou
22-10-08, 06:19 PM
I entirely agree. The scenes with Robin at her job in Japan were too ridiculous and I thought they smacked of stereotyping.

The only reason I could think of that the writer's would take this approach is because of the whole "unreliable narrator" technique. This could very well be Future Ted's interpretation of what it was like for Robin rather than what it was really like. Surely she exaggerated her experiences to him, as we often do in real life, making things sound worse than perhaps they actually are. Nonetheless, it remains unfunny to me.

Um, I doubt this is the end of the Barney/Robin story. I think it may stay on a pause for a little while. But I suspect that it will come back in some form before the series concludes. That's just my gut feeling.

DigitalLeonardo
23-10-08, 05:39 AM
All I can say is I am glad this Stella arc is done. I just thought it was way to rushed and I knew she'd be gone after about the first 5-10 episodes. Though I gotta say I think it was a good end for the character, she got a nice little ending and it looks like she will get her happy ending with her ex and her daughter, which is good.

I guess I wouldn't mind if she poped up again for a guest apperance.

The Robin stuff in Japan was a bit of a stretch, but I do think Jenni Lou made a good point. This is what Robin has told Ted, so who really knows and from some of the things that have happend to Robin there is a bit of the stretch (like the bike thing). I am glad Robin came back from Japan and I guess she will move in with Ted now?

The Barney stuff as usual was great!

My favorite scene though is when Lily and Barney learn there is no liquior and Marshal learns there is no meat, that made me burst out laughing cause it was just a great reaction on all their parts.

Also I just wanted to say I picked up The Bro Code and it is DAMN FUNNY! I will do a full review when I fully read it, but just by skimming it, I couldn't stop laughing and I recommend for you guys too look for it. It is ONLY in the states right now, I had to order it online since it isn't sold here in Canada (yet anyways).

Nikki
23-10-08, 10:00 AM
Boy am I happy the Stella story is over, I didn't really like how it ended though, just seemed like a bit of a quick and silly exit. Not how they built her character up last season.. anyway.. yeah Robin in Japan was really silly but like Jenni Lou said I think it's definitely a story that Ted is telling so probably a bit far from the truth. But I'm glad she's back.

I loved Marshall and Lilly with no booze no meat, and Barney with his problem solving of how to get Robin in bed was really funny, I loved how they got so many things on that board, the 83% he always uses as a statistic! :lol:

watcher1006
24-10-08, 06:22 AM
Well yes, they use the "unreliable narrator" technique often enough on this show, and they had one explicit case right in this episode - the part where Marshall is remembering Lily's own wedding anxieties and in the last example she walks in crying and speaking outright gibberish.

The way I remember the wedding at the end of Season 2 Lily was keeping artificially nonchalant until she was finally overcome at the end by all the problems piling up (the harp player, the ex, and so on).

Maybe Ted was exaggerating in order to amuse his kids? Even interpreting it as subjective narration the depiction still feels to me like it reflects badly somehow on the cultural awareness of Robin, or Ted, or perhaps even the show.

Back to Stella I'm glad that the story of her relationship with Ted is over in that it seemed like one with no future, as all the indications were pointing to her not becoming the mother. But I still thought that an arc built so painstakingly over such a long period of time deserved to have a more substantial end. Also, after this, will Ted ever be able to propose to another girlfriend on this show without the audience dismissively saying "here we go again"? Until the end of the show itself, of course.

buffyholic
30-10-08, 12:50 PM
As you know, Alyson Hannigan is pregnant and Im wondering if theyre gonna do a plot with it, maybe have Lily and Marshall have babies. It would be a new challenge.

My latest episode is the one where Lily reveals her box of shame and tries to get Marshall to accept that lawyer job.

Nikki
30-10-08, 01:00 PM
The unreliable narrator...

Having re-watched seasons 1,2 & 3 recently there are several things that you just know aren't exactly how things happened, it's always the way with a story.. like the episode Lilly and Marshall have that wine and cheese tasting party with those boring married people, both Marshall and Lilly claim to have jumped out of the bathroom window to get to the club Barney and Ted were at..

And in season 4 when Robin goes from Stella's to Metro News One on the bike.. she does that jump flip over the cars..

Ted puts those things in as 'this is how so and so tells it..' so I'm sure that's how he has his one little additions that are a bit odd, but it's true to storytelling that things always get exgerated!

watcher1006
31-10-08, 04:58 AM
Yes, they get exaggerated, but the way they gets exaggerated can't help but reflect back on the personal feelings and perhaps the biases of the narrator. Or perhaps the show's writers. Most times the narrator's subjectiveness makes the story more funny, like the episode where Ted dated "Blah Blah". In the case of Robin's job in Japan they were going for funniness but it didn't work. Not for me, anyway.

Jenni Lou
31-10-08, 05:14 AM
I actually find pretty much everything about Robin's job(s) not funny. Every time there's a scene with her in the anchor chair I just find ridiculous. Even the crappiest news stations in the country aren't that bad, which is why I think these instances are the work of the unreliable narrator. Because they are not funny any way you slice it, imo. Love the show but I don't care for the news stuff. :/

DigitalLeonardo
31-10-08, 06:19 AM
I think the only good Robin news time were when Alexis Denisof was on for a few episodes cause the two were just great off each other. I also loved the episode with the flashbacks in the flashbacks and Robin starts dating the sports reporter and then he gets all clingy. And then in "Sandcastles In The Sand" when she plays that music for Simon's band with the dog images!

Jenni Lou
31-10-08, 07:46 AM
I think the only good Robin news time were when Alexis Denisof was on for a few episodes cause the two were just great off each other. I also loved the episode with the flashbacks in the flashbacks and Robin starts dating the sports reporter and then he gets all clingy. And then in "Sandcastles In The Sand" when she plays that music for Simon's band with the dog images!

Ah! Good call! I guess the bad times just overshadowed all of those for me. But you are right! Those were much better instances! And not nearly as ridiculous as the others, that's for sure. :xd

DigitalLeonardo
04-11-08, 03:54 AM
Ah! Good call! I guess the bad times just overshadowed all of those for me. But you are right! Those were much better instances! And not nearly as ridiculous as the others, that's for sure. :xd

I never really thought about Robin's job until you said something and really made me think. It took me FOREVER to actually come up with some funny/memorable scenes...

But I am glad they are gone, cause there is only so much you can do with it for more then 3 years, plus out of all the characters I think we've seen the most from Robin's. There is very minimal work-scenes for the rest of the cast (well I guess Ted had like 2 episodes mainly based at his work) but it seems Robin is the only one the writers consistantly used her job for jokes...

I hope Robin does get something new going on, but it will be funny too see her as a slacker for awhile. And had Lucy Hale not gotten a role in Privledged I would say I'd love Robin to see Robin go home for an episode or have her sister visit.

watcher1006
04-11-08, 03:58 AM
Episode 4.06 - Happily Ever After

I'm glad they had this episode to deal with Ted's wedding-that-wasn't instead of just consigning the storyline to the dustbin and moving on. I still wonder if this is the last of it, and if we've seen the last of Sarah Chalke as Stella.

I think Ted clearly made the right choice not to confront her but I don't know if Stella made the right choice for herself. She's always seemed overly impulsive to me, with big emotional swings, something of a flake if you will. I've thought that ever since last season. It's more than just the sudden crazy decisions that sitcom characters make for the sake of laughs. Well it's nice that Lucy gets to be with both of her birth parents even though she did appear to connect with Ted.

No spotlight Barney story in this one but I'm sure that we'll see another one soon enough. The forced tomboy story Robin told about herself and her father made me wonder. We have to believe that somehow transitions into her Robin Sparkles stage. When all is told about her childhood, will it all cohere?

Jenni Lou
04-11-08, 04:51 AM
I think Ted clearly made the right choice not to confront her but I don't know if Stella made the right choice for herself. .... Well it's nice that Lucy gets to be with both of her birth parents even though she did appear to connect with Ted.

It reminded me of an episode of Friends where Chandler is once again dating Janice and she is in the middle of a divorce wit a man she has a child with. And Joey catches her cheating on Chandler with him. And Chandler has to make the choice to let her try and work things out with her husband, Because they are a family and if there is a chance that it will work out, you have to let them try. So I totally think Ted made the right choice too. And I would have to say that Stella did as well. She has to try and make it work if those feelings still exist. And I got the indication from the last episode that Tony was regretful that he didn't man up and marry Stella and that is something he wanted deep down but was perhaps too young and scared to actually do it.

The forced tomboy story Robin told about herself and her father made me wonder. We have to believe that somehow transitions into her Robin Sparkles stage. When all is told about her childhood, will it all cohere?

Well, there's a kind of in-joke with that scene. The actor that played her father is a well known soap actor and has been on (I think!) The Young and Restless for eons. So the way that scene was shot was really funny if you knew that. Because it has that dramatic soap music and the close-up at the end and the way he walked in her kissing the boy. :lol: It was funny to me. :p

DigitalLeonardo
04-11-08, 05:01 PM
So last night was a pretty good episode, it felt like a season 1 or 2 episode and I rather enjoyed it. Plus it was a great ending for Stella's character.

That map Ted made was funny, and I enjoyed the flashbacks per-usual. I was surprised how young Alyson Hannigan looked, it was rather funny that she looked younger here then on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And Robin looked sorta young, but just funny and I loved the soap dude (and I totally got it, even though I've never seen him act, but I've heard of him) the music just worked so well with the over dramatic scene.

Episode 4.06 - Happily Ever After

The forced tomboy story Robin told about herself and her father made me wonder. We have to believe that somehow transitions into her Robin Sparkles stage. When all is told about her childhood, will it all cohere?

I don't agree with this. I felt it was very believable, especlly for the style of series HIMYM is. Plus she made it clear she moved and lived with her mother and most likely became Robin Sparkles to kind of piss off her father.

The stuff was Stella was needed. I think I would have really hated if Stella was just gone with no final word for Ted. It would have been a real pain and no pay off for either character.

When Ted had the fantasy fight with Stella I really thought it was too harsh, but a bit true. I am glad in the end Ted was a nice guy and understood that for Stella and her daughter that it was best she try and fix her own relationship with the daughter's father.

So all in all I do hope this is the end for Stella. Though it would be funny is Lucy ended up in Lily's kindergarden class... though is Lucy that young? Hmm... maybe just ignore that.

watcher1006
04-11-08, 05:30 PM
The actor who played Robin's father is named Eric Braeden, right? Gosh, it's been an eternity since I watched a soap opera episode (having to work during the day will make that happen! :)) but I do recall that he's been on The Young and the Restless for a LONG time.

I don't agree with this. I felt it was very believable, especlly for the style of series HIMYM is. Plus she made it clear she moved and lived with her mother and most likely became Robin Sparkles to kind of piss off her father.

It's not that I didn't find the Robin story credible per se. It's just that we just can't know if the creators of the show have a consistent concept of how Robin grew up and became the person she is. On a sitcom you can put all kinds of stories into the past lives of characters for the sake of laughs, but throw in too many stories that and the character history starts looking like a Barney style tale and it doesn't all hold together well.

Like one could wonder - being pushed onto a boys' hockey team as a child - would she grow up to be a fan of the sport the way she is? Not that that particular point is a big deal.

Overall I moderately liked this episode, I thought it was fine but not superb.

And Alyson Hannigan's youthfulness - I saw her as a guest on one of the late night shows - I think it was Conan - where she told a story about how in her early twenties she was trying to make ends meet while going to auditions (which make it difficult to hold a day job). One option for many actors is bartending, and so she spent her last $600 reserve money to take a bartending course only to be turned down at every bar she tried to get a job at. She was inevitably told that she looked too young to be carding people. She said she's had to deal with looking younger than her age all her life. Right after that experience she got cast in Buffy which saved her and changed her life.

I must say that at age 22-23 on Buffy she could quite credibly play a tenth grader.

Jenni Lou
04-11-08, 06:26 PM
Oh, Aly's high school scene totally stood out for me too. Now she looks like she is in her upper 20s but she completely passed as a teenager in her flashbacks. Of course, I think it helps that she is all teenified with black hair and make-up and the youthful clothes. She does have a young look generally though. Still, there are times when you can see her real age in her. She has an older face now, imo. :)

DigitalLeonardo
04-11-08, 06:44 PM
Oh, Aly's high school scene totally stood out for me too. Now she looks like she is in her upper 20s but she completely passed as a teenager in her flashbacks. Of course, I think it helps that she is all teenified with black hair and make-up and the youthful clothes. She does have a young look generally though. Still, there are times when you can see her real age in her. She has an older face now, imo. :)

I find Alyson Hannigan a mystery.

She looked young on Buffy until about season 7. She looked young in her first 2 apperances on Veronica Mars, but when she returned in season 2 she looked MUCH older and bulkier then she did in season 1 and How I Met Your Mother. For all of HIMYM she's looked young, but I think now with her darker hair she looks MUCH younger, plus everyone else kinda towers over her...

She is just inconsistant which makes me :err: but I think it will be good for her career to be able to play with her age like that.

watcher1006
04-11-08, 07:03 PM
Oh incidentally, I just saw that Darcy Rose Byrnes, who played Stella's daughter Lucy, turned 10 today. Looking at her bio on ImDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1393246/) I see she's also been on The Young and the Restless, in her case since 2003. Imagine - she's only 10, and she's been in show biz most of her life.

watcher1006
11-11-08, 01:38 PM
Episode 4.07 - Not a Father's Day

I had a lot of fun watching this episode, not least because we saw Alyson Hannigan let loose with all her silliness.

I liked the ironic way they introduced the whole idea of babies at the beginning, through BARNEY, of all people.

I also enjoyed the part where Lily had Ted and Robin act as advocates for having or not having babies, respectively. Those flashback scenes they showed (like Robin declining to hold the baby, Ted being "disappointed" about the broken ship in a bottle) felt completely in character.

Drunk baby Lily in Marshall's office was just wild.

So they added a piece of the puzzle at the end, namely how Robin starts living with Ted. They didn't jump into a baby story arc at this point, but I suspect AH's real life situation pumped extra enthusiasm into the way she played Lily in this episode.

Jenni Lou
11-11-08, 06:23 PM
It was fun! Not the best outing bit entertaining nonetheless. I love how everyone fell in love with the baby's sock. :o They are so cute! Incidentally, the original ep title was "Jeremy's Sock." I was glad Lily had something to do as I feel like most of the time she doesn't. So it's nice when she gets a kind of Lily-centric episode. I loved all the flashbacks. I agree, the ship in a bottle was so right on and in character. :lol:

Wolfie Gilmore
11-11-08, 09:52 PM
Ted is totally a dad. Barney's baby sock love, I wasn't quite convinced by. But the sock was cute and I liked a bit of the surfacing of his daddy issues in the karaoke bit.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if Barney could sing for Lorne?

Jenni Lou
11-11-08, 10:20 PM
Barney's baby sock love, I wasn't quite convinced by.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if Barney could sing for Lorne?

1. Well, to me it's clear that Barney has a soft center. He acts out in certain ways but he does have a mushy heart. After all, it was he that convinced Lily to return to NY and he did tear up as he married her and Marshall. And when he learned his brother was going to adopt a baby. Just the way he said "There's going to be a baby?!" He sounded so excited and moved! And before he was the Barney we know now, he was overly sensitive and a bit of a romantic.

2. Yes! :lol:

Wolfie Gilmore
12-11-08, 09:36 AM
1. Well, to me it's clear that Barney has a soft center. He acts out in certain ways but he does have a mushy heart.

You're right, he absolutely does. I think it was the sock part that didn't work. Like, I think that he wouldn't be moved by the usual stuff that everyone else gets moved by somehow. But maybe he's not so different?

I'd forgotten about old Barney. It'd be interesting if (towards the end of the show, cos I still want more awesome barney) they kind of merged the two personas towards the end). And he marries Robin and they travel the world together as hippies. Though maybe hippies with cigars and, in Robin's case, guns.... :D

2. Yes! :lol:

Hmm, I smell fanfic...what do you think Barney would sing?

litzie
12-11-08, 11:17 AM
I really enjoyed the ep (and am glad to get on here to review it before the next episode has aired and I have to avoid the thread for fear of spoilers!). I liked last week's better, but I really enjoyed it. I was worried though about Robin's sock love - in fact I found it way more surprising than Barney's! Barney's always been kind of pro kid as long as they weren't his - what with his reaction to his brother's marriage and all that. But Robin is not just anti-kid, she's been hugely against them since the beginning of the show. And I'm worried that somehow Ted is going to take this as a sign that they should get back together, which I really don't want.

The one thing I was really happy about with this episode though was the fact that despite the fact that it was supposed to be post-soap opera, according to that interview with the creators at the beginning of the season (taht they were wrapping the soap opera up in the first 6 eps), and I didn't see any real difference - they still dealt with ongoing stories (like Robin's joblessness), and they still referenced old stuff...I thought in general it was really reassuring in that way.

watcher1006
12-11-08, 04:14 PM
You know, Neil Patrick Harris isn't bad as a singer. :)

(Rhetorical) question: how does Alyson Hannigan's drunk Lily performance in this episode compare with her drunk Willow performance in BtVS S4 "Something Blue"? :roll:

The increased ratings for this show are turning out not to be an early season fluke. With the November sweeps period in full swing I saw that the overnight Nielsens have the show running almost even with ABC's Dancing With the Stars in the targeted 18-49 demographic for the 8:30 timeslot.

litzie
12-11-08, 04:51 PM
Taht is SO awesome about the ratings. Maybe they'll also see they didn't need to change the format at all - they just needed to wait for more people to catch up with HIMYM's awesomeness! This is a show that's really helped by dvds I think - because everyone I know who's watched it from the beginning has gotten hooked and then become a loyal viewer.

Hopefully this will mean no more drama come renewals time!

Re rhetorical questions (:)), I thought she was better drunk here than in something blue...but I think her best drunk performance is in Okay Awesome. When they're in the cab on the way home? And she's all, Where's my purse, where's my purse, I'm gonna be sick...no I'm ok. That is so like my experiences with drunkennes... :)

NPH was on broadway for awhile, wasn't he? He's got an awesome voice, have you heard/seen the clip where he and Marshall sing the song from Les Mis? It's SO awesome.

Jenni Lou
12-11-08, 05:51 PM
I actually liked Lily's drunkenness in Something Blue most. The himym ep, not Buffy, where AH was drunk in both! :lol: What are the odds? :xd I just thought it was really funny, the way she was all sloppily kissing Marshall. I do that kind of stuff too after I have had too many! :p

oh yeah, and the ratings have been on huge uptick the whole season. They've been holding steady and even increasing. http://www.legen-waitforit.com/ is an awesome himym blog and i always has the kind of info. And they are nice for always linking to me too! :D

watcher1006
12-11-08, 06:47 PM
Well it could be taken as a true question and not a rhetorical one. I only called it rhetorical because it's a bit difficult to compare acting performances between a comedy (HIMYM) and a drama (Buffy.)

If I had consumed a whole bottle of red wine (like a 13.5% alcohol content Cabernet Sauvignon) I wonder if I'd make it out the door! :lol: It might depend on how long a period it took me to do it, whether I'd eaten anything, and so on.

Litzie it's a good point about the plot serialization. If this episode was indeed the beginning of the standalones I'd be hard pressed to pin down the change. Which brings up the point I made earlier about the show not being all that serialized as it is (or was.) I hope that CBS, FOX Studios, and Carter Bays and Craig Thomas see that HIMYM appears to be working fine as it is.

Jenni Lou
12-11-08, 07:18 PM
If I had consumed a whole bottle of red wine (like a 13.5% alcohol content Cabernet Sauvignon) I wonder if I'd make it out the door! :lol: It might depend on how long a period it took me to do it, whether I'd eaten anything, and so on.

I wouldn't be quite so crazy after only one bottle. :lol: Maybe after an additional bottle and a half though! :wine:

Litzie it's a good point about the plot serialization. If this episode was indeed the beginning of the standalones I'd be hard pressed to pin down the change. Which brings up the point I made earlier about the show not being all that serialized as it is (or was.) I hope that CBS, FOX Studios, and Carter Bays and Craig Thomas see that HIMYM appears to be working fine as it is.

I was thinking about this too. And there is no significant change. I suppose they just meant that the whole Ted/Stella would be put to rest and the Robin/Barney stuff would simmer on the back burner. I've read some spoilers for the next few eps and they do sound like standalones, but not anymore than some earlier season episodes were. So I think maybe this "change" sounded like a bigger deal than it actually is.

litzie
12-11-08, 07:57 PM
Gosh I hope so (about the change sounding bigger than it was)!!! I want my himym to stay just the way it is! Also, obviously they can do high ratings with non-standalones, so if they want to do serial plots, they shouldn't be afraid to do it! I'm just so glad to hear the ratings are up...my life would seriously be a bit sadder if it weren't for himym!

Actually, though I kind of missed the boat on discussing these, I was surprised that more people didn't love the shelter island and the Happily Ever After episodes, which I totally loved. Especially happily ever after, which just worked so well on so many levels and which had the whole gang together, which always makes me happy. I thought both of them were up to season 2 average, though not peaks like slap Bet and Arreviderci fiero (I can't spell) (in italian either).

I do hope we get back to the Robin and Barney thing though - I do love them and I think they could be awesome.

Oh! And I forgot to say how awesome couch-sleeping Robin was at the start of the episode! I love Robin sometimes.

Wolfie Gilmore
13-11-08, 01:19 PM
re drunkness - I think Something Blue was so terrible on that score that this has to win, even though it's played silly rather than realistic. But, not surprised she's so drunk, she's tiny, so it wouldn't take much to get her pissed.

Re serialisation - like Litizie, hoping it was hyped more than it'll be in reality.

Couch Robin = awesome!

watcher1006
18-11-08, 05:29 AM
Episode 4.08 - Woooo!

I KNEW I recognized Jillian from somewhere! She was played by Jamie-Lynn Sigler of The Sopranos. I was never a fan of that show but her face was nevertheless very familiar.

I guess that in the end Barney did right by Ted with the account - with some prodding from Marshall of course. But what he did to him along the way reminded me of the Season 2 episode "The Scorpion and the Toad" where he was going out with Marshall to introduce him to new women and kept taking them for himself.

It was patently obvious from her outfits (loose) and the camera angles on Lily (from the front, behind the table, etc.) that they are covering up the fact that Alyson Hannigan is showing. I haven't read the spoilers for the episodes ahead so I haven't the faintest idea how they are going to continue to deal with her situation in the next several episodes.

I was thinking last week that it's a shame that the HIMYM writers don't come up with tongue twisters for Lily, given the way Willow could deliver stuff like "It's a doodle..." in S3 "Gingerbread". Well I thought of that again this episode when they gave us this Dr. Seuss rhyme between Lily and Robin:

Lily: We saw you wooo!
Robin: Saw who wooo?
Lily: Saw YOU wooo!
Robin: I didn't wooo!
Lily: You did too.
Robin: That's not true!
Lily: Your nose just grew.

So in the form of a dialogue, she did half a tongue twister. But we know she can do one all by herself. :D

It was a fun episode. It was predictable but I still laughed at the very end when Barney got off the mechanical bull.

watcher1006
25-11-08, 10:04 PM
Episode 4.08 - The Naked Man

It was a fun episode although the premise was a bit too outrageous! :lol: 2 out of 3 times, funny that it should be Barney for whom it DIDN'T work. Lost his pants trying it, literally. :roll:

I guess we know a bit more about when the goat will appear.

Is Marshall really the prude of the group such that he would call Robin a slut for doing it with the guy? I thought about it and perhaps it would have been more natural coming from Ted. On the other hand Ted didn't seem to be upset at all with Robin for sleeping with Barney last season. He was only upset with Barney. :confused:

DigitalLeonardo
25-11-08, 10:33 PM
4.09 "The Naked Man"

This was kind of weird, lots of naked men... At least NPH made the effort to look buff. :roll:

I really liked Vicky, cause I am a very similar person. I totally mock old people and spanish plllhhffff! Hahaha, so I laughed and laughed when ever she was on screen.

The naked man thoery was kind of funny though I am glad Barney failed, cause he can't win em all. The list of 50 reasons too have sex was hilarious and I love when they do scenes of them listing things off, or make round table jokes cause there is always some great one liners.

Also I don't think it would odd for Marshall to call Robin a slut. I think it HAD to come from him, cause no one else could really say it and not make it serious. Lily would just be the girl saying it, Barney still loves her and would be jelouse, Ted would sound petty so it had to be Marshall, he is a really good voice of reason and I hope for some more Marshall/Robin scenes cause we never have any and I think Marshall is very father like towards Robin.

Jenni Lou
25-11-08, 10:56 PM
I dunno. The slut thing is the thing that bothered me most about the ep. Totally uncalled for, imo. Double standard much? Robin sleeps with a guy on a first date and she's a slut? But Barney has a string of one night stanhds and he's just--what?--Barney. Not cool, man.

But it was fun enough, as an episode. I think the premise is pretty funny because the philosophy behind it isn't really all that ridiculous. I don't think it would work as often as 2/3 times. But I bet it would in like 3/10! :xd

But all the named poses were hilarious. Loved those. And at the end when Barney opted for no clothes over a cheap suit = :lol:

litzie
26-11-08, 05:53 PM
I so loved this episode! Though I agree Jenni Lou, the slut thing was totally double standardy and annoying. But, it lead to funny, so I'll let it slide.

I found it incredibly amusing how they fetishized/idealized Mitch in this episode - and I just loved it. Especially the last scene, with his coat flapping in the wind and the intense shadow...hee! Also there were several hilarious one liners - Barney saying he's the Batman of one night stands, but Mitch is the Superman - he just takes off his clothes and he's good to go! hee! And Lily's interest in Barney's gadgets totally reminded me of that scene in the goat ep last season where she was all excessively interested in what Barney was like in bed...hee! These are my favorite kind of lily episodes - she's just funny when she talks about sex!

Hee! I just remembered about ted wearing makeup. So funny!

Ok i'm done. Good episode. :)

watcher1006
26-11-08, 06:32 PM
I felt jarred by Marshall using that word regarding Robin - it's not like he doesn't know her or know how she is about commitment. And that brings up another interesting point about this episode, the way Robin seemed to try and convince herself that she wasn't a slut after Marshall called her that, insisting on seeing Mitch again. One might think Robin would just take her "so what?" attitude about the hookup but maybe what Marshall said got to her.

From the way the episode began I thought that Vicky might be another serious involvement for Ted and was a bit surprised when her character just got blown off. Not a big deal, she was certainly funny. Maybe for now they are going to do less with relationship stories that run over multiple episodes?

Jenni Lou
28-11-08, 02:29 AM
So......Cobie Smulders is also pregnant now. Crazy, no? Man they are going to have a hell of a time trying to conceal all those baby bumps on set! :lol:

DigitalLeonardo
28-11-08, 02:56 AM
So......Cobie Smulders is also pregnant now. Crazy, no? Man they are going to have a hell of a time trying to conceal all those baby bumps on set! :lol:

Really? Alyson Hannigan I can understand them dealing with it, but Cobie Smulders? :lol: This is going to be very interesting considering the whole non-baby wanting thing (though I guess that was kind of settled at the end of the episode), but still. I'm sure they are going to have some fun hiding these bumps, alot of sitting down I'm guessing. Maybe Robin will become a newscaster again until she gives birth :roll:

litzie
28-11-08, 02:08 PM
Really? Alyson Hannigan I can understand them dealing with it, but Cobie Smulders? :lol: This is going to be very interesting considering the whole non-baby wanting thing (though I guess that was kind of settled at the end of the episode), but still. I'm sure they are going to have some fun hiding these bumps, alot of sitting down I'm guessing. Maybe Robin will become a newscaster again until she gives birth :roll:

Hee! She totally should!

Also I have to say - again - that if anything the show is only getting more serialized! Whatever the creators were talking about when they said they were going to stop writing the soap opera, it obviously isn't affecting long running jokes (The Goat) or storylines (Robin's unemployment, Barney's love for Robin...), to which I say, Hooray!

And I'm relieved Vicky wasn't another bigtime relatinoship. First the name is too close to Victoria from season 1...but mostly, I'm not ready for another relatinoship! I think I find ted cuter and less annoying when he's not in a relationship. Dunno.