PDA

View Full Version : "Wolves at the Gate, Part 2" Covers

Weredog
09-01-08, 07:43 PM
Georges Jenty Cover (http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-846)
Jon Foster Cover (http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-830)

If you look at Jeanty's cover, it very much looks like Dracula! Looks like Drac's back in the Buffyverse. Nice!

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 07:45 PM
Dude, I'm excited about the blurb! Gives me hopes for a non-traitor Xander!

I agree, that really does look like Dracula on the variant, but he's hardly an old ally -- I'm thinking we get Dracula *and* Oz! Xander makes the most sense to reach out to either of them, though. He was Drac's minion, buttmonkey or not, and things with Willow and Oz would be awkward, he and Buffy weren't that tight, but Xander and Oz were almost hetero lifemates in Season 3 and Season 4.

Weredog
09-01-08, 08:00 PM
Oz coming back would be awesome! But I doubt he will. Simply because that would just add more eggs to Willow's basket. I mean, we only found out in the last issue that she's still very much in love with Kennedy. The Willow/Tara and Willow/Kennedy 'ship fans are divided as they are. Bringing Oz back, even if he doesn't rekindle with Willow, would just split fans even more. I think it's just a little too early for Oz to come back, in terms of "where" Willow is emotionally.

And I also hope that the ubervamps the blurb refers to are not the Turok-Hans. I thought they were great in season 7, but I want new villains.

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 08:04 PM
Um... Willow/Tara isn't coming back. She's allowed to have a relationship, and she's in love with Kennedy. I'm okay with them now. And we've been promised Oz! So I'll take Oz sooner than later. I'm really hoping that, in true comic form, he's mastered the wolf in him enough to change on demand.

I doubt it's turok-han... the 8.12 blurb mentioned unusual powers or something, and they've seen turok-han.

Thomas
09-01-08, 08:12 PM
Okay, um, does Xander not change his clothes now? :lol: He's like a cartoon character.

My guess: It's Oz. The vampires have a special power, probably something to do with wolves, so, he recruits Oz to help them understand them (Wolves) better.

patxshand
09-01-08, 08:16 PM
Well, considering "Tales of the Vampires" is canon, Dracula IS an old ally of Xander's. He loved Xander in that story. And... Joss said he was going to address the TotV Xander story in question. So Dracula is most definitely the old ally, IMO. Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.

Heather
09-01-08, 08:24 PM
Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.

I don't think it's the worst cover we've seen so far in the series, personally. It's really gorgeous with the colors and backgrounds and the poses. Everything is perfect...except for the likeness of Xander to Nicholas Brendon. That doesn't even bare a resemblence to NB at all. Which is really unfortunate since, like I said: I think the cover is super pretty otherwise. If Xander looked like...Xander, then this might be my favorite - or one of my favorite - covers.

As for the blurb, I'm pretty sure that they just mean that the old ally is Dracula. I wish Oz would be back for this arc but I think they're just saying that it's gonna be Dracula - which is slightly disappointing unless they give him a really good reason to be in the arc.

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 08:30 PM
Well, considering "Tales of the Vampires" is canon, Dracula IS an old ally of Xander's. He loved Xander in that story. And... Joss said he was going to address the TotV Xander story in question. So Dracula is most definitely the old ally, IMO. Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.

I've never seen Joss put the firm "this is what happens" stamp on either "Tales of..." like he did Season 8. I put them in the same grey area as "Asylum" or "Origins" -- only canon when adopted into the canon in other work. And, either way, Xander was his prisoner, right? I don't see how "Antique" or "Buffy vs. Dracula" fits describing him as an ally.

I agree with Heather, I like the cover. I think that's Buffy sitting and Willow standing in the background, though. Or, possibly, Dawn sitting, and that she might get de-giant-sized in 8.12 after tromping around Tokyo. But, aesthetically, I love the cover. Not the distance between Xander and the others, but I like the cover. The variant is whacky fun, too. At least Xander doesn't have to ride bitchseat like Angel always does :)

patxshand
09-01-08, 08:36 PM
I've never seen Joss put the firm "this is what happens" stamp on either "Tales of..." like he did Season 8. I put them in the same grey area as "Asylum" or "Origins" -- only canon when adopted into the canon in other work. And, either way, Xander was his prisoner, right? I don't see how "Antique" or "Buffy vs. Dracula" fits describing him as an ally.

As far as "Origin," Joss has come out and said it can "pretty much be accepted as canon." As with "Tales of the..." I didn't know there was even debate over its canonical status. The slayers from TotS are shown in "The Chain." Joss has said he plans to address the events of "Antique." Why would he have to address anything if it was not canon?

Xander was a prisoner in "Antique" but, whether he was under a spell or not, he was sad to leave Dracula and Dracula was MORE than sad to see him go. Take that plus the two images we get with the #13 covers (torn looking Xander / Xander and Dracula riding together), then I think we can pretty much say that the ally is the Drac man.

Koos
09-01-08, 08:38 PM
Of course it is Dracula!

Ha ha. I'm happy he's considered an ally. Xander together with Dracula on a bike, it made me laugh. Though a petty Xander drive his own bike, it is just too funny to see it. He really should be in black leather though.

I don't have a clue who those six persons are on Jeanty's cover though. Probably the vampires with mysterious powers. It's too bad that he could draw that in more detail.

I don't expect Oz, sadly enough.

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 08:39 PM
*really hopes "Antique" didn't have slashy overtones*

I just assumed it wasn't canon because, unless much more than a year and a half has gone by since "Chosen", I don't buy that Xander spent a YEAR with Dracula, let alone that Buffy would ignore that situation for A YEAR.

Shin
09-01-08, 09:14 PM
I think the regular cover is one of the most beautiful covers up till now. Also, even when taking in account ToS. He never really was an old ally. Ally is a wrong word in every sense of the meaning an old non-enemy thraller to Xander would be a better description...

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 09:19 PM
Well, he's a de facto ally now -- unless he's already made a deal with Twilight, like Roden did, Dracula is on Buffy's side by default, because that's the only way the supernatural elements of the world are going to survive.

Shin
09-01-08, 09:29 PM
Well, he's a de facto ally now -- unless he's already made a deal with Twilight, like Roden did, Dracula is on Buffy's side by default, because that's the only way the supernatural elements of the world are going to survive.
It seems more Dracula's style to plainly ignore everything that's going on with Twilight and have his own fun until Twilight interfers with it. Plus this arc might not even be about Twilight at all. Super(I don't wanna use über)vampires don't sound like Twilight at all, but maybe it's another one of his plottings. Anyway, why would Dracula wanna fight vamps like himself.

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 09:40 PM
Hard to say -- but I think he'd know about Twilight, and not like it, not a classicist like him. He's very romantic about all the power and mystery of his own existence, as well as Buffy's. I'm pretty sure he'd be easy enough to convince to join against him... unless he already has made a deal and is in fact the Lando Calrissian of the Buffyverse, complete with the outfit.

Shin
09-01-08, 09:47 PM
Hard to say -- but I think he'd know about Twilight, and not like it, not a classicist like him. He's very romantic about all the power and mystery of his own existence, as well as Buffy's. I'm pretty sure he'd be easy enough to convince to join against him... unless he already has made a deal and is in fact the Lando Calrissian of the Buffyverse, complete with the outfit.
Right, I forgot about his obsession with Buffy. I think Buffy could probably persuade him to join them for a short while. The idea of hundreds of slayers probably excites him to his very core. Still he's not an old ally to me. As in old you know and why would they future him on the variant and not put him in the description anyway then. I don't see the use of being secretive about it, while putting it on the cover.

KingofCretins
09-01-08, 09:56 PM
Well, it's Xander who apparently does the recruiting, according to the blurb. That makes sense since, if "Antique" is canon, then Xander has spent a long time hanging around with the Dark Master... bator. As long as Xander is being turned evil or made a buttmonkey, I'll take it :) Maybe Drac has some Buffy-wooing tips for him, since he has a pretty easy time of it.

Shin
09-01-08, 10:24 PM
Well, it's Xander who apparently does the recruiting, according to the blurb. That makes sense since, if "Antique" is canon, then Xander has spent a long time hanging around with the Dark Master... bator. As long as Xander is being turned evil or made a buttmonkey, I'll take it :) Maybe Drac has some Buffy-wooing tips for him, since he has a pretty easy time of it.
I still think ally's the wrong word, either that and/or that I want Oz to come back. Oz is king of no emotions on face-having-coolness and being funny at the same time. Still buttmonkey =/= ally to me and what would be really cool, you know, Xander stepping up to Dracula and being a total unbuttmonkey!

Weredog
10-01-08, 12:23 AM
Um... Willow/Tara isn't coming back. She's allowed to have a relationship, and she's in love with Kennedy. I'm okay with them now. And we've been promised Oz! So I'll take Oz sooner than later. I'm really hoping that, in true comic form, he's mastered the wolf in him enough to change on demand.

Yes, I know Willow/Tara is very much dead. Well, Tara specifically.
I was talking about the Willow/Tara 'shippers who are still out there believing the two will make it someday. And I was tying this to "Anywhere But Here" because it dealt with the couple. Scott Allie mentioned in one of the "No Future for You" issues that "Anywhere" was going to make Willow/Tara fans cry, so this confirms that Joss is fully aware that Willow/Tara 'shippers are out and about. But as we found out, "Anywhere" was more pro-Willow/Kennedy than it was Willow/Tara, but either way, we were fed with both. Which is why I would find it very unwise for Joss to bring Oz in the mix just two issues after "Anywhere."
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather see at least one more appearance of Kennedy before Oz returns and makes Willow gaga.

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 12:28 AM
Doesn't bug me -- I want more Kennedy, too. She was very cool and sympathetic in that scene, and she's a Slayer, one of only a handful that were forged in Sunnydale, I think she's needed in this fight. Make her a regular, and Oz, too! Maybe they'll go Buffy/Oz after all, just to increase the Awkward! between Buffy and Willow :) Just kidding, but it was funny.

alexa
10-01-08, 12:58 AM
Ook *skipping all the issue 10 talk* :p Still waiting for mine to arrive here.
Didn't love the Foster cover, it's alright, but loved his first 2 so much more. It is beautiful, but doesn't say 'Buffy' to me.. or something.

Sweets to come online today and see shiny new Buffy info :D

I kind of assumed that Tales of.. was canon because of Joss writing most of it, along with the shows writers. The possible fact that Xander spent a year with Dracula did also seem weird to me.. yeah it's possible that he wouldn't mind if he's under Dracula's thrawl or something, but why would Buffy take a year to find him? She must have been seriously distracted.. and or not worried that Dracula would kill/turn him. Not sure why Goddard made the decision for it to be a year. And Antique is one of my fav Tales stories actually, along with the creepy vamp in the desert one, and the Angel story.

The ally seems to be Dracula and or Oz.. who knows. Well we will, eventually. Don't see the issue with Oz arriving whether Willow is with Kennedy/Tara/Kenara whoever :p Why does he only need to be there as a love interest?

Weredog
10-01-08, 01:17 AM
The ally seems to be Dracula and or Oz.. who knows. Well we will, eventually. Don't see the issue with Oz arriving whether Willow is with Kennedy/Tara/Kenara whoever :p Why does he only need to be there as a love interest?

Oh I'm not encouraging them to get back together. Actually, I would prefer if they were just very close friends who wouldn't get on each other's nerves in the way the Core Four often do. It would just greatly support Willow's statement in "New Moon Rising" about how if she turned a corner and bumped into him, she wouldn't be surprised.

However on the flip side, the writers would have to mention their past relationship if Oz were to come back. He and Willow wouldn't have to reconcile as a couple, but they'd definitely have to talk about having been one. Just for the sake of Willow/Oz devotees like me. Along with all the crazy events that occurred in the past 4 seasons (ie. Dark Willow, dead Tara, Slayer armies, and -- oh yeah -- Dawn's origin.)

Does this deserve its own thread? :xd

Anyway, about the covers..........

Well, I think Jeanty delivered his best cover yet. I love how it looks like a 50's movie poster with portrait shots of Buffy and Willow and an action shot of Xander and Dracula layered over. Way better than, oh say, 8.03. My only complaint though about this cover is why the hell does Buffy have elf ears?

Foster's cover.... well, again, I have the same opinion about it as I do about #12. He knows how to make colours look great, he really does! But not only does the likeness look nothing like the character (say that 10 times fast), they're proportionally off. I mean, even Jay Leno doesn't sport a chin like that.

Thomas
10-01-08, 01:43 AM
Well, maybe the "Tales of..." are loose canon? Like, Joss can still bring up that it happened, but he can modify it to make more sense now. So, it could become a month, with maybe Xander being undercover to find out some information on Dracula? Ether way, I want flashbacks to show that it happened, that way, we all don't have to go back and read it for it to make sense. :lol:

Though, how great would it be if the Castle the Scoobies now stay in was given to them by Dracula?

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 02:17 AM
Goddard is writing this and also wrote "Antique", so I suspect little will change from one to the other in tone. The only thing they can probably work around if they want is the amount of time, since someone pointed out, Dracula didn't *specifically* say Xander had spent a year with him.

I doubt Buffy would feel comfortable accepting gifts on that scale from Dracula, who last anyone heard, had some pretty serious ulterior motives towards her.

Thomas
10-01-08, 03:10 AM
I doubt Buffy would feel comfortable accepting gifts on that scale from Dracula, who last anyone heard, had some pretty serious ulterior motives towards her.Well, like we saw in 'Anywhere But Here,' Buffy's went through some changes. Plus, if he's now an ally, who's going to help them defeat danger, maybe he could be considered a good guy now.

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 03:15 AM
I wasn't thinking of his motive to kill her as much as his motive to get into her pants. Buffy isn't really one to obligate herself to people.

I am very curious about him being 'an ally' -- he came to town and tried to seduce and/or kill Buffy, then later kidnapped Xander and help prisoner for some amount of time. From what I understand, by the end of "Antique", they were mostly just neutral toward each other.

Like I said, though, as long as the storyline doesn't head towards traitor and/or buttmonkey Xander, it works for me. I like the idea that he's their "in" with the most famous and arguably most powerful vampire in the world at this point.

Nostalgia
10-01-08, 04:57 AM
I am really excited about this issue..

I'm surprised from the lack of immense excitement King.. you may get your first full on Xander story arc since "The Zeppo!" :)!!

The covers are fantastic. I really am not too picky in terms of covers. Foster does an amazing job at colors.. and Xander looks fantastic sitting there by himself, contemplating.

It's amazing how awesome Xander is this season, because he's certainly having an impact. He's becoming one of my all time favorite characters.. and close to bumping out Spike in third place. I've always loved him.. but I think this may be his best season yet. You guys agree?

With the fang gang approach this episode is taking.. (detective in Tokyo), I am actually speculative of whether or not the betrayal will happen in "A Beautiful Sunset." Even so, it'll be strange to move from such a powerful arc episode to a stand-alone in a matter of one episode. I'm going to be very interested to what Jeanty is talking about in issue 12... we're going to be talking about it for years? Maybe something with Xander/Dracula? A kiss? > EDIT: Rolling in laughter.. indicating sarcasm :roll:

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 05:05 AM
I'm surprised from the lack of immense excitement King.. you may get your first full on Xander story arc since "The Zeppo!" !!

I'm excited, but right now, excitement and anxiety are pretty much equal for me with these season while the traitor thing is still out there.

It's amazing how awesome Xander is this season, because he's certainly having an impact. He's becoming one of my all time favorite characters.. and close to bumping out Spike in third place. I've always loved him.. but I think this may be his best season yet. You guys agree?

Right now, it's his best season since Season 2, easily. As a fan of the character, it's a lot of fun. The enthusiasm for his arc right now is a 10.5 out of 10. Of course, if he's the traitor, or just being used for punchlines again, it drops to like a 4.5.

I'm going to be very interested to what Jeanty is talking about in issue 12... we're going to be talking about it for years? Maybe something with Xander/Dracula? A kiss?

Yeah, that's the sound of my enthusiasm for his arc going to zero. Xander is already a niche minority in the Buffyverse -- he's a non superpowered, non-magic using heterosexual male under the age of 40. There ain't but the one of him.

I am still thinking we'll get some movement on the traitor angle in "A Beautiful Sunset", but that's in part because it freaks me out to think Joss is going to be teasing us with this for several issues.

patxshand
11-01-08, 06:38 AM
I'm surprised from the lack of immense excitement King.. you may get your first full on Xander story arc since "The Zeppo!" :)!!

I thought "The Replacement" was the opitome of a full on Xander story!

Nostalgia
11-01-08, 06:43 AM
I thought "The Replacement" was the opitome of a full on Xander story!

That's true.. I forgot that one.

The point is.. is that this episode looks very good.. and fits King perfectly. I want to hear more pep-talk.

It's very strange to see Xander sitting on a balcony alone, though... the more I think about it.

If this story is following the trend of portraying a theme of the story..

I wonder how this panned out? Xander was always against loneliness.. and lives basically for his friends.

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 06:46 AM
Episode looks great, but, the traitor angle has me anxious. Basically, all the time people are suggesting new directions for Xander that mostly suck, so I'm always wary. And, I don't like that he's sitting by himself either. I hope that's mostly that he's uneasy about having to go to Dracula for help.

What I think we're going to be seeing are a gang of Yakuza-themed vampires who can change shapes like Dracula.

Wolfie Gilmore
11-01-08, 03:48 PM
The Xander-focussed cover really reminds me of a lot of the art for Fables

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_%28Vertigo%29

Can't quite put my finger on why - something to do with the fantasy art-meets-realism thing. Plus, maybe I was thinking of it with the whole Wolves thing. :D

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 04:06 PM
I don't really see it, at least not from that cover. Although, I'm actually kind of digging the Jon Foster covers. No, that doesn't look very much like Nick Brendan, but it's still unmistakably Xander. And it sets this really fascinating mood -- the distance between the three friends, and how sort of down they all look.

Wolfie Gilmore
11-01-08, 04:09 PM
I don't really see it, at least not from that cover. Although, I'm actually kind of digging the Jon Foster covers. No, that doesn't look very much like Nick Brendan, but it's still unmistakably Xander. And it sets this really fascinating mood -- the distance between the three friends, and how sort of down they all look.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean a particular cover. Just thought I'd link to Fables as part of my pimping of Fables... ;)

Koos
11-01-08, 04:51 PM
It's very strange to see Xander sitting on a balcony alone, though... the more I think about it.

He seems to be sitting on a wolf-statue. I find that interesting for some strange reason that I don't know.

The problem I have with the Xander arc is Drew Goddard. While I think his Selfless (the only Anya centric ep) is one of the best episodes of the show, but I didn't like how Xander and Buffy were portrayed by him in 'Antique'. Xander was a buttmonkey and Buffy treated Xander like he was her dog.

I do like the bond between Xander and Drac though. If they are really good friends than maybe they could write a stand-alone issue where they piss-off Spike ;)

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 04:57 PM
He's written strong Xander stuff before, though -- Xander is strong in "Selfless", in "Dirty Girls", he's very well-written in "Never Leave Me" (it's always nice to see Xander be useful in a fight).

Although I am starting to wonder if there is something to my Xanderian Candidate theory that Dracula *still* has him under his thumb, and, since Dracula is in equal danger from Twilight as any other supernatural being, traded his control of Xander for clemency, like Roden did.

That would run the great risk of turning into a buttmonkey arc, and it would also be a bit repetitive since they already did the brainwashing thing with Spike.

I'm much more interested in the idea that Xander and Dracula actually formed some kind of mutual respect and that Xander can get him to work with them on this case. As mentioned, though, I'd be pretty pissed if they turned it 'slashy, for numerous reasons (the prior brainwashing being high on the list).

Wolfie Gilmore
11-01-08, 05:01 PM
Here are some of the Fables covers (by James Jean) that I thought looked like the Jon Foster cover - similar style and atmosphere:

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/FablesTPB9.jpg

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/FablesTPB6.jpg

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/Fables1SE.jpg

There is a certain fairytale feel to the whole season, with broad stroke themes of betrayal, giants, sleeping beauties, castles and all.

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 05:03 PM
Yes there is, which I think is in part to convey how much magic and meta-humanity is in danger from Twilight, which they never would have been able to convey on TV.

Those are nice covers, I see your point.

Weredog
11-01-08, 07:55 PM
Here are some of the Fables covers (by James Jean) that I thought looked like the Jon Foster cover - similar style and atmosphere:

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/FablesTPB9.jpg

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/FablesTPB6.jpg

http://www.jjeanius.net/images/PubCovers/Fables1SE.jpg

There is a certain fairytale feel to the whole season, with broad stroke themes of betrayal, giants, sleeping beauties, castles and all.

I don't see it. I find Foster's covers differ from Fables' greatly. Fables has bolder pencils whereas Fosters seem to like to bleed the colours onto each other. It seems that his three covers have one predominant colour, with a secondary colour (the lighting) rippling over.
I'm not bashing either of them. I love their styles, especially Fables' cover in your first link. And that being said, I'm still in love with Jo Chen. :p

Heather
11-01-08, 07:59 PM
And it sets this really fascinating mood -- the distance between the three friends, and how sort of down they all look.

The more that I stare at that cover, the more and more I start to believe that that isn't Buffy in the background. If you stare at it closely, you'll see that the girl's hair is brown. I do think that that's Willow, though, but I actually think that the other girl might be Dawn or one of the other Slayers (possibly even Kennedy).

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 08:00 PM
Not a bad line of thinking, Weredog, especially since Jo Chen is a cutie :) They'll let Jon Foster do this entire arc, I'm sure, but it would be great if Chen is back with 8.16. Actually, since she has gotten such great fan response, Joss and Scott should let her draw an audience to her new book by letting her pencil an entire arc :) Let Georges do the covers for those and make Chen's the variants.

Heather, my first thought was a un-giant Dawn. Kennedy would work as well. Gotta admit, it's been a *long* time since we've seen Buffy wear a skirt shorter than her knees.

Weredog
11-01-08, 08:28 PM
Actually, since she has gotten such great fan response, Joss and Scott should let her draw an audience to her new book by letting her pencil an entire arc :) Let Georges do the covers for those and make Chen's the variants.

That would be a dream! But unfortunately I doubt they would attempt that. Wasn't Joss specific about the style he wanted for the books? I thought that was why he chose Jeanty specifically. Speaking of which, I'm actually settling down very comfortably with Jeanty now. Even though I was impressed with Cliff Richards' Buffy, I find Jeanty is way better at conveying facial expressions.

Heather, my first thought was a un-giant Dawn. Kennedy would work as well. Gotta admit, it's been a *long* time since we've seen Buffy wear a skirt shorter than her knees.

Willow is sporting some funky wardrobe too. A black cape? Could Dracula be making Buffy, Willow and Dawn his new babes: the three sisters?

KingofCretins
11-01-08, 08:34 PM
That would be a dream! But unfortunately I doubt they would attempt that. Wasn't Joss specific about the style he wanted for the books? I thought that was why he chose Jeanty specifically. Speaking of which, I'm actually settling down very comfortably with Jeanty now. Even though I was impressed with Cliff Richards' Buffy, I find Jeanty is way better at conveying facial expressions.

He chose Jeanty specifically, but not exclusively. And Chen was also very deliberately chosen as cover artist, so it follows he's pleased with what she does. I would love to see her paint at least a stand-alone. They've already had two guest pencillers out of 10 issues. I think she's earned a chance to do it for a stand-alone or even an arc if she'd interested, since her cover art has been a *huge* draw for curious fans to get into the comic.

Willow is sporting some funky wardrobe too. A black cape? Could Dracula be making Buffy, Willow and Dawn his new babes: the three sisters?

Probably not, but I could see writing that fic ;)

bishopcruz
16-01-08, 08:18 PM
Foster cover is great, the face on Xander isn't the best, but the overall mood of the cover is awesome. BTW, am I the only one who got right away that the person in the background of that cover is Drac? I mean, they are near an antique looking castle and all. Doesn't look like one of the girls at all.

Second, how cool is it that in the Jeanty cover Drac and Xander are on a bike? According to Antique, Xander taught Drac how to ride!

If they can write out the whole "gone for a year" thing then I'm rather OK with it. Drac did leave Xander an open invitation to visit, with a promise of safety.

modifiedblind
17-01-08, 06:57 AM
I was looking at Jon Foster's cover, is it me or does it look like a HUGE bat above Willow's head? It could be just a rock, but it looks like a huge Bat''s head. Anyone else mention this or notice this? or... is it just a rock? Looks like wings sort of as well behind the head.. Am I going crazy from having been staring to long.

also, where would I go to buy 'Antique' ?

Nostalgia
17-01-08, 06:58 AM
I was looking at Jon Foster's cover, is it me or does it look like a HUGE bat above Willow's head? It could be just a rock, but it looks like a huge Bat''s head. Anyone else mention this or notice this? or... is it just a rock? Looks like wings sort of as well behind the head.. Am I going crazy from having been staring to long.

Wait, so that's Willow?!? It's been confirmed?

And yes, that indeed does look like a bat.

modifiedblind
17-01-08, 06:59 AM
i don't know if it has been confirmed.. but it is a chick... with red hair. I assumed.

Nostalgia
17-01-08, 07:03 AM
It looks like it could be brown, red, or a combination of both. Hard to say. I'd be very surprised if that's Willow though. It just wouldn't fit with the series so far.. and besides, who's the guy in the cape standing behind her? My guess is that it is a misconceived Buffy.

Phoenix
17-01-08, 08:53 AM
I assumed that it was Willow.. doesnt really look like anyone else to me? The red hair kind of gives it away, but I guess it could cause some confusion. Any chance of someone confirming =S

stormwreath
17-01-08, 01:27 PM
http://www.mdd-marketing.co.uk/files/BW-japan.jpgI'm pretty sure myself that that's Buffy and Willow.

The person standing can't be Dracula, because she has breasts. :) She also has red hair, and appears to be wearing a long green dress; the only thing that's different to Willow's normal S8 look is the cloak. Conclusion: definitely Willow.

As for the sitting woman, her clothing actually reminds me more of the sort of thing Faith would wear: I wouldn't rule out entirely that that's who it is. But her hairstyle looks very much like the way Buffy's looks when she puts it up rather than tying it back in a pony tail, and something about her face looks like Buffy as well. Plus there's logic: a comic called Buffy the Vampire Slayer is quite likely to have Buffy on its cover; and the Jeanty alternative cover for this issue does indeed have Buffy, Willow and Xander on it. So I assume the same three characters appear here too. Conclusion: probably Buffy.

And I can't see any bats there. Just pagodas with pointy roofs.

modifiedblind
17-01-08, 03:48 PM
the bat, is within the dark rock above willow's head it looks like a dark cliff but, it has a mouth, pointy ears. it actually reminds me of the huge bat nicki wood fights in 'tales of the slayers'

Nostalgia
17-01-08, 03:53 PM
Sorry for the confusion.. But I've never seen Willow something like that, and she looks very gothic from that angle. So, if that is Willow.. I think she's drawn a little different for my tastes. Why is she wearing a gigantic cloak?

Wolfie Gilmore
17-01-08, 04:21 PM
Conclusion: definitely Willow.

Or, heh, her mother...or possibly Guinevere. Arthurian vibe going on in the costume.

I reckon it's Buffy and Willow too. Xander as the unfaithful knight?

modifiedblind
17-01-08, 04:26 PM
also, i love the jon foster cover, i actually like how willow looks. george jeantys cover looks cheesy to me.

Nostalgia
17-01-08, 04:28 PM
It all makes sense to be Buffy, Willow, and Xander. Now that it is, I love that cover. It's definitely one of my favorites. Honestly, I don't see the problem with Foster's work.. he paints a beautiful picture.

I still don't understand why Willow looks like she's a vampire though.

stormwreath
17-01-08, 08:15 PM
the bat, is within the dark rock above willow's head it looks like a dark cliff but, it has a mouth, pointy ears. it actually reminds me of the huge bat nicki wood fights in 'tales of the slayers'Looking at it again, I think you could be right. However, Xander's sitting on the claws of a huge lion (or Oriental Dragon) statue, so it could be that it's a matching bat statue...