PDA

View Full Version : New to CA

blaise84
19-03-19, 05:49 PM
Hi all!

My wife and I have raised three kids, and our youngest is a daughter with Downs Syndrome. She is now in her early 20's, and pretty low functioning, can't read or use money, can't really count nor do the alphabet.

Just want to let others who are going through the process of raising limited kids to know that they are just as much a plus as a minus. Getting to try and understand how to read their thoughts and feelings through body language has been a real education, and our ability to communicate through indirect means is always growing.

My screen name, NewtoCA, really resulted from our search for a decent program for adults with limited mental capacities. Our old state, Ohio, had a program which we felt to be inadequate to meet her needs, so we went on a USA wide search for a decent and sustainable program. Initially, we found a great fit in suburban Minneapolis, but unfortunately they substantially revised the program in 2004, just before we were preparing to move. Subsequently, we found a couple of excellent programs in California and in Dutchess County, New York. Since our kids have been inclined to migrate to Los Angeles, we decided to be somewhat closer to them so we could continue our relationships, and hopefully be with grandkids someday. In addition, as we eventually age to the point of needing some assistance, or are no longer here, perhaps they could assist a bit in assuring she is still well taken care of institutionally.

No complaints or concerns here, just letting you know that I also share in the concerns of those dealing with difficult matters beyond your normal control.

Best of luck all!

Reference: http://www.city-data.com/forum/special-needs-children/
video brief (https://www.izideo.com/blog/tips-writing-successful-video-brief/)

Double Dutchess
20-03-19, 12:52 AM
Well clearly this is just spam (with text shamelessly copied from some other forum) BUT I did learn from it that there is such a place as "Dutchess County, NY" so it's not totally useless!

Nina
20-03-19, 01:00 PM
Thank you for letting us know, I banned the user. Another member of the crew will have to remove the post/thread. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)