PDA

View Full Version : Eliza Dushku and Bull: Harassment and a big settlement.

DanSlayer
14-12-18, 07:28 PM
https://tvline.com/2018/12/13/bull-eliza-dushku-sexual-harassment-michael-weatherly-cbs/

https://tvline.com/2018/12/14/eliza-dushku-bull-exit-sexual-harassment-michael-weatherly/

Wow. Feel bad for what happened. She stood up for herself and did well cash wise but still.

Priceless
14-12-18, 10:20 PM
Weatherly's “It’s my recollection that I didn’t tell anyone how they should do their job regarding the hiring or firing of anybody.” sound a bit like double speak to me, never mind his mealy mouthed apology. I imagine more stories will be surfacing about him now Eliza's story has been made public

- - - Updated - - -

Tweet from Steven DeKnight -

I worked with @elizadushku on an episode of Dollhouse I wrote and directed. Could not have enjoyed the experience more. She’s a real pro. And let me tell you, she is no shrinking violet easily offended. This had to be egregious for her to lodge a complaint. She is TOUGH.

GoSpuffy
14-12-18, 10:49 PM
You feel bad for CBS DanSlayer? I don't. They have shown many examples of being a poorly run company and things like this will make them pull up their socks and try harder. $9 mill is chump change for them.

DanSlayer
14-12-18, 11:27 PM
Feel bad about what happened to her. Though it was obvious

KingofCretins
15-12-18, 12:16 AM
I'm disappointed in whole situation on account of I selfishly want her on TV more and stories on this suggested she was going to be promoted to series regular, and while I haven't watched "Bull" I did watch NCIS and I'd have given it a shot with a Dushku chaser. Maybe she takes that 9.5 and uses it to kickstart a project for herself. Hell she could finance a pretty legit Faith TV movie production budget with most of that!

Priceless
15-12-18, 07:00 AM
Hasn't she got the rights to some sort of fantasy novel series . . . I'm trying to remember, I think I've read something about it, maybe earlier this year? There were stories about he trying to get that made into a series. Anyone have a better memory of this than me?

I'd love to see her back on tv and I hope she puts that money towards her own production company and starts to create product.

KingofCretins
15-12-18, 11:05 AM
She's one of the actresses I think would be great in the lead role if there was ever a film or TV adaptation of the pulpy beach read modern fantasy series "Weather Warden". Not sure if it's even in print anymore, but if you wanted an antidote to late '00s vampire fiction it really fit the bill.

ClaudHal
15-12-18, 01:35 PM
Glad she won the big settlement, but I would have rather seen her in the role for 4 more seasons. Hopefully her next show is going to be a good one too.

Priceless
15-12-18, 02:25 PM
Pauley Perrette has tweeted a pic of her and Weatherly together and the message -

This man... I love, respect, trust, and I KNOW. TWO decades of friendship and respect. The best. I love you @M_Weatherly Always and forever.

KingofCretins
15-12-18, 02:39 PM
Perette definitely throwing some implicit shade at the allegation there, coming a day after the settlement story broke.

Well, y'know, it's worth remembering -- a civil settlement almost never includes any admission of liability. I'm not saying Eliza made anything up, at all, but I do know with certainty that CBS could have easily decided it was better for their hit show and overall ledger in the #metoo era to dispense with the allegation out of court. They may believe their star entirely but still have found it more prudent to pay, get somber recognition that they take the issue seriously, etc.

Best we can say is "hope nobody is too scarred by whatever may have happened and it all seems to have worked out".

flow
15-12-18, 05:20 PM
Weatherly more or less admitted everything she claimed he had said. This isn`t a case, where she sued for harrassment. It is a case, where she complained about inappropiate jikes or remarks of the male lead and consequently was fired. It`s bnot a case of he says/she says. The facts are pretty much undebated.

From this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/business/media/cbs-bull-weatherly-dushku-sexual-harassment.html

In an emailed statement to The Times, Mr. Weatherly apologized for his behavior with Ms. Dushku.

“During the course of taping our show, I made some jokes mocking some lines in the script,” Mr. Weatherly said in the statement. “When Eliza told me that she wasn’t comfortable with my language and attempt at humor, I was mortified to have offended her and immediately apologized. After reflecting on this further, I better understand that what I said was both not funny and not appropriate and I am sorry and regret the pain this caused Eliza.”

But it wasn’t long before Mr. Weatherly started making comments that left her feeling uncomfortable. “Here comes legs,” he said on a day when Ms. Dushku was wearing a suit, according to the interview notes. On another occasion, Ms. Dushku told investigators, he said in front of the cast and crew that he would bend her over his leg and spank her.

Then came the shooting of a scene involving a windowless van. With the cameras rolling, in front of the cast and crew, Mr. Weatherly said he would take Ms. Dushku to his “rape van,” which, he added, was filled with phallic objects and lubricant, according to the interview notes.

Mr. Engstrom handed over outtakes from “Bull” in the belief that they would help the company’s cause, because they showed Ms. Dushku cursing on the set, investigators wrote in the draft of their report.

The strategy backfired. The outtakes were a “gold mine” for Ms. Dushku, the lawyers wrote, because they “actually captured some of the harassment on film.”

flow

vampmogs
16-12-18, 05:35 AM
Pauley Perrette is a f***ing moron so no surprises there. When one of her female coworkers was fighting for equal pay she tweeted a pic with her wearing a "I love my job" t-shirt. In other words, she was making a dig at her coworker for having the 'audacity', basically, to want equal pay to her male counterparts. No surprises at all that she's making a dig at Eliza, she's demented.

There's video footage. This slimy douche was harassing her. Case closed. I'm glad it has all backfired spectacularly on both him and CBS and whilst I'm really sorry this happened to Eliza I am glad that she was compensated and I hope she lands herself a role on a more respectful set. I hope both the show and his career tanks.

Priceless
16-12-18, 08:25 AM
Pauley Perrette is a f***ing moron so no surprises there. When one of her female coworkers was fighting for equal pay she tweeted a pic with her wearing a "I love my job" t-shirt. In other words, she was making a dig at her coworker for having the 'audacity', basically, to want equal pay to her male counterparts. No surprises at all that she's making a dig at Eliza, she's demented.

There's video footage. This slimy douche was harassing her. Case closed. I'm glad it has all backfired spectacularly on both him and CBS and whilst I'm really sorry this happened to Eliza I am glad that she was compensated and I hope she lands herself a role on a more respectful set. I hope both the show and his career tanks.

Yeah I thought she had a bit of a rep for being odd. I was shocked that she said anything, never mind defend Weatherly. I think it's also that Lena Dunham thing of being conditioned to think that the people you know can't be abusive because they've always been nice to you :thud:

vampmogs
16-12-18, 08:39 AM
Yeah I thought she had a bit of a rep for being odd. I was shocked that she said anything, never mind defend Weatherly. I think it's also that Lena Dunham thing of being conditioned to think that the people you know can't be abusive because they've always been nice to you :thud:

Oh absolutely. Her and Lena Dunham are cut from the same cloth. Interestingly, Dunham has since admitted she was wrong and apologised and also admitted that she lied when she claimed to have "insider information" that proved the accusations against Murray Miller were false which is just heinous and so, so unfair to Aurora Perrineau. But knowing Dunham she'll soon say something else she needs to apologise for so, whatever :rolleyes: The interesting difference between Dunham and Perrette, IMO, is whilst Dunham claims to be a radical feminist and a huge supporter of women, Perrett strikes me as the perpetual "cool girl" who always wants to prove how "she's not like other girls" by impressing men and constantly going against other women.

This idea that "well he never sexually harassed me so he couldn't possibly have sexually harassed anyone else!' is so utterly ridiculous. Might as well claim someone can't be a murderer because, well, "they never murdered ME!" She looks even more foolish now that not only did he basically admit to it but there's *tapes* of him saying these things. So good luck with that, Pauley.

I hope Eliza just ignores this fool.

Priceless
16-12-18, 08:49 AM
Oh absolutely. Her and Lena Dunham are cut from the same cloth. Interestingly, Dunham has since admitted she was wrong and apologised and also admitted that she lied when she claimed to have "insider information" that proved the accusations against Murray Miller were false which is just heinous and so, so unfair to Aurora Perrineau. But knowing Dunham she'll soon say something else she needs to apologise for so, whatever :rolleyes: The interesting difference between Dunham and Perrette, IMO, is whilst Dunham claims to be a radical feminist and a huge supporter of women, Perrett strikes me as the perpetual "cool girl" who always wants to prove how "she's not like other girls" by impressing men and constantly going against other women.

This idea that "well he never sexually harassed me so he couldn't possibly have sexually harassed anyone else!' is so utterly ridiculous. Might as well claim someone can't be a murderer because, well, "they never murdered ME!" She looks even more foolish now that not only did he basically admit to it but there's *tapes* of him saying these things. So good luck with that, Pauley.

I hope Eliza just ignores this fool.

I think Dunham is a work in progress and is actually trying to be a better person, she's just not very good at it, but I do give her points for trying. Though it does often come across as attention seeking, so instead of focusing on Perrineau and her story, all eyes are on Dunham, and that irritates me. But as I say, I still give her points for trying, though you might think I'm being naive.

Perrette is just an oddball. She's utterly brainwashed into still believing that being nice to abusers will help your career and you've somehow bought their protection. It's deeply flawed thinking but also very much ingrained in a lot of people. I also wonder if she was abused herself, because I think fear can make you behave in this way too.

But yes, good for Eliza and I hope she goes on to bigger and better things.

Alce
16-12-18, 08:59 AM
As I understand she didn't get compensation for harassment, she's got compensation for her being fired for wrong reasons. She would get roughly the same sum if she's got main role for 4 seasons. That's reasonable. As for Weatherley he did admit making that jokes. As he'd worded them, they seem quite stupid and inappropriate, but not necessarily malicious. What's wrong here is that Eliza had expressed her concerns to Weatherley and was fired soon after that. If he was reason for her being fired then that's quite shitty thing to do.

vampmogs
16-12-18, 09:02 AM
I think Dunham is a work in progress and is actually trying to be a better person, she's just not very good at it, but I do give her points for trying. Though it does often come across as attention seeking, so instead of focusing on Perrineau and her story, all eyes are on Dunham, and that irritates me. But as I say, I still give her points for trying, though you might think I'm being naive.

I think Dunham is genuine when she says she wants to support women and that she considers herself a feminist, but as you say, I also think she's a huge attention-seeker and that her desperation for attention usually overrides all else with her. I'm pretty sceptical that all of her foot-in-mouth moments are by accident or simple ignorance. Before the Perrineau/Murray incident I mostly felt she was a bit of an idiot and fairly strange but ultimately harmless, I guess, but she crossed a line with me when it came to Perrineau. I'd have just thought it was tragic that she'd defend Murray on the basis that he never did anything to her but if she apologised (which she did) I'd have thought it was forgivable. But claiming to have "insider information" as a way of discrediting Perrineau which she has since admitted is a blatant lie is a WHOLE OTHER kettle of fish, IMO, and now I think she's pretty much a terrible person. That's an absolutely horrendous thing to do to Perrineau and I can't imagine what it would have been like for her to have to read that.

Perrette is just an oddball. She's utterly brainwashed into still believing that being nice to abusers will help your career and you've somehow bought their protection. It's deeply flawed thinking but also very much ingrained in a lot of people.

Speaking of oddballs... some of the comments on that tweet are just... pathetic.

I also wonder if she was abused herself, because I think fear can make you behave in this way too.

She's spoken about being harassed on the set of NCIS (fairly sure that's why she left the show).

A I understand she didn't get compensation for harassment, she's got compensation for her being fired for wrong reasons. She would get roughly the same sum if she's got main role for 4 seasons. That's reasonable. As for Weatherley he did admit making that jokes. As he'd worded them, they seem quite stupid and inappropriate, but not necessarily malicious. What's wrong here is that Eliza had expressed his concerns to Weatherley and was fired soon after that. If he was reason for her being fired then that's quite shitty thing to do.

Well he claims to have "no recollection" of getting her fired which pretty much means, yeah, he got her fired. I don't know about you, but if I didn't try and get someone fired I'm pretty sure I would *explicitly state* "I did not try to get Eliza fired." Simple as that. I would not claim to having no memory of it as if I can't remember one way or another. He's lying.

DeepBlueJoy
16-12-18, 01:53 PM
A I understand she didn't get compensation for harassment, she's got compensation for her being fired for wrong reasons. She would get roughly the same sum if she's got main role for 4 seasons. That's reasonable. As for Weatherley he did admit making that jokes. As he'd worded them, they seem quite stupid and inappropriate, but not necessarily malicious. What's wrong here is that Eliza had expressed her concerns to Weatherley and was fired soon after that. If he was reason for her being fired then that's quite shitty thing to do.

Agreed! She sued basically for lost wages, not the harassment. If i complain, but don't quit, then suddenly get fired, there is a problem. I admit a certain bias on behalf of Eliza, as I know people who grew up with her and know her well and like and respect her (even since she started acting).
I have a thought about Pauley. I think maybe she got used to an unhealthy environment - maybe one where Michael took the role of protector. Just because his behavior is toxic doesn't mean he may not compare favorably in the NCIS envionment - one that has hemorraged female actors. In fact being on the NCIS set for so long may have conditioned Michael to behave like a pig! I know one thing: I would not want to work for CBS right now.

HowiMetdaSlayer
16-12-18, 09:17 PM
Maybe I should audition for a CBS show... :s

Skippcomet
17-12-18, 05:46 AM
The story that came out in bits and pieces after Perrette's departure from NCIS was that a year previous to that, Mark Harmon brought a dog to set that he said he couldn't find a dog-sitter for in time for him to be on set without being late, I think it was a variety of pitbull. Said dog then bit a crew member at some point. Perrette then expressed to people in charge her discomfort with a potentially dangerous dog being brought onto set. Allegedly this upset Harmon quite a bit, to the point that during most of Perrette's final season, the number of scenes shared between Perrette and Harmon dropped to nearly zero, and/or required post-production editing compositing. This is a major thing if one knows that throughout the show's run, Harmon and Perrette's characters had an essentially surrogate father/daughter level of closeness and trust. Hell, her final scene on the show, in which she says good-bye to his character, involves a judicial use of voiceover, flashblacks, and editing of quick cuts between the two characters, without either of them sharing the screen together (except in the flashblacks). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUbHtvNTik

Priceless
19-12-18, 08:13 PM
Eliza Dushku: I worked at CBS. I didn’t want to be sexually harassed. I was fired
By Eliza Dushku
December 19, 2018
The narrative propagated by CBS, actor Michael Weatherly, and writer-producer Glenn Gordon Caron is deceptive and in no way fits with how they treated me on the set of the television show “Bull’’ and retaliated against me for simply asking to do my job without relentless sexual harassment. This is not a “he-said/she-said” case. Weatherly’s behavior was captured on CBS’s own videotape recordings.

I feel compelled to chronicle what actually happened after The New York Times published a story about how CBS handled my allegations. I declined to be interviewed for that piece because I wanted to honor the terms of my settlement with the network. I was under the impression that Weatherly and Caron would also not respond per our settlement. Instead, all commented to the Times in what amounted to more deflection, denial, and spin.

Before I get into what actually happened, here is some background. CBS vigorously courted me for several network shows. When presenting the offer to co-lead on “Bull,” CBS made the case to my team that the whole Dr. Jason Bull M.O. of bedding every female interest and winning every case needed strong female balance. CBS said it wanted to pivot to a classic “two-hander” (two main characters), a la “Moonlighting.” After I accepted, the network even brought in Caron, who created “Moonlighting,” as the new showrunner for “Bull.” And so I was hired to finish the last three episodes of season one, with CBS’s expressed intention of my beginning season two as a series regular with an option for up to six seasons.

In explaining his bad behavior, Weatherly, who plays Dr. Bull, claimed I didn’t get his attempt at humor. That’s how a perpetrator rationalizes when he is caught. For the record, I grew up in Boston with three older brothers and have generally been considered a tomboy. I made a name for myself playing a badass vampire slayer turned tough LA cheerleader; I have worked with numerous leading men, including Robert DeNiro, Leonardo DiCaprio, even CBS’s own David Boreanaz. I can handle a locker room. I have been on Howard Stern and was hired by Kevin Smith for a film where I wore a black leather cat suit and played a member of an international diamond-thief-gang-ring. I do not want to hear that I have a “humor deficit” or can’t take a joke. I did not over-react. I took a job and, because I did not want to be harassed, I was fired.

Weatherly harassed me from early on. The tapes show his offer to take me to his “rape van, filled with all sorts of lubricants and long phallic things.” There was also his constant name-calling; playing provocative songs (like “Barracuda”) on his iPhone when I approached my set marks; and his remark about having a threesome. He made the threesome remark to me about himself and me in a room full of people. Minutes later, a crew member sidled up next to me and, with a smirk, said in a low voice, “I’m with Bull. I wanna have a threesome with you too.” For weeks, Weatherly was recorded making sexual comments, and was recorded mimicking penis jousting with a male costar, this directly on the heels of the “threesome” proposal, and another time referring to me repeatedly as “legs.” He regularly commented on my “ravishing” beauty, following up with audible groans, oohing and aahing. As the tapes show, he liked to boast about his sperm and vasectomy reversals (“I want you to know, Eliza, I have powerful swimmers”). Weatherly had a habit of exaggerated eye-balling and leering at me; once, he leaned into my body and inhaled, smelling me in a dramatic swoon. As was caught on tape, after I flubbed a line, he shouted in my face, “I will take you over my knee and spank you like a little girl.”

One day, when my now husband, Peter Palandjian, visited the set, Weatherly made us all watch as he pretended to urinate on an indoor office plant, then spun around pretending to shake himself off and pull up his zipper. The tapes show Weatherly routinely exclaimed “yellow card” after distasteful remarks. I learned from crew members that, because there had been previous harassment training on “Bull,” Weatherly’s delight in yelling “yellow card” was his way of mocking the very harassment training that was meant to keep him in line.

Weatherly also bragged about his friendship with CBS chief executive Les Moonves. He regaled me with stories about using Moonves’s plane, how they vacationed together, and what great friends they were. Weatherly wielded this special friendship as an amulet and, as I can see now, as a threat.

Weatherly did all this. His conduct was unwelcome and directed at me. Watching the recordings in the settlement process, it is easy to see how uncomfortable, speechless, and frozen he made me feel. For Weatherly’s part, it looks like a deeply insecure power play, about a need to dominate and demean. In no way was it playful, nor was it joking with two willing participants. It was not “Cary Grant ad-libbed lines,” an incredulous Weatherly excuse which, even if true, asks us to believe that Hollywood behaviors from 70 years ago might be acceptable today. What is hardest to share is the way he made me feel for 10 to 12 hours per day for weeks. This was classic workplace harassment that became workplace bullying. I was made to feel dread nearly all the time I was in his presence. And this dread continues to come up whenever I think of him and that experience.

There was daily undeniably demeaning conduct that is unacceptable in an absolute sense. Everyone should be allowed to work without harassment. Weatherly sexually harassed and bullied me day-in and day-out and would have gotten away with it had he not been caught on tape, and had the CBS lawyers not inadvertently shared the tapes with my counsel, Barbara Robb. Reflecting on the whole ordeal, it often makes me think with sadness of the majority of victims who do not have the benefit of the fortunate evidence — the tapes that I had.

Weatherly never apologized to me. Instead, I was fired shortly after speaking with him.

After weeks of enduring Weatherly’s harassment, I resolved to deal with it directly. I aimed to be my diplomatic best. This was not easy for me, since there were plenty of other things I would like to have said to him. Framing my request as a plea for “help” in setting a different tone on the set, I asked him to “be my ally” and to “help ease the sexualized set comments.” Weatherly responded with, “Eliza, no one respects women more than I do,” citing his many sisters and his professed history of being “too respectful of women.”

After I left his trailer, I went straight back to my own trailer and wrote down everything I could remember about the conversation in a text to my manager, adding, “I hope he actually received it well & doesn’t run back to the studio telling them to fire me lol.” Then, as I came to learn months later in the settlement process, Weatherly texted CBS Television President David Stapf about 40 minutes after our conversation and asked for what amounted to my being written off the show. Specifically, Weatherly complained that I had a “humor deficit.’’

Retaliation is illegal, not to mention unfair and painful. After I addressed it, Weatherly doubled down and ratcheted up his retaliation. Following our conversation and up until the season wrapped weeks later, he barely spoke to me, making it clear hewas icing me out. He made every remaining day on the set somehow more awkward and oppressive.

How did it end? With a final act of bullying.

After I addressed matters with Weatherly, he circulated a “memo” to the crew instructing not to comment on my appearance or beauty. I do not know if it was a written memo or a general verbal edict, but everyone called it “the memo.” Weatherly’s message was clear to all: Eliza Dushku was offended by comments on her looks. (For the record, I love a good compliment).

As it turned out, the “memo” was a prop for Weatherly’s final act of retaliation against me. At the wrap party held on the last day of the season, Weatherly insisted that I stay for the champagne toast. It was odd to me for several reasons: Weatherly knew I was sober, and he had not spoken to me this warmly for weeks. Nevertheless, I also wanted to say goodbyes to friends and pay my respects to the crew. Weatherly emceed the toast. So when he called me up in front of the entire cast and crew to pick the winning party raffle tickets, Weatherly was actually going out of his way to humiliate me and said something along the lines of: “I need a beautiful woman to come pull this ticket.” He laid it on thick. “A truly beautiful woman . . . hmmm, who could that be?” He was performing, pretending to search the room. I immediately clocked what was happening, my breath tightened. “Eliza! Yes, the most beautiful woman of all. Yes, Eliza, you have to come pull the raffle ticket!” he instructed, dripping with sarcasm and in direct violation of his own edict not to comment on my physical appearance. No matter that I’ve acted in more than 30 films and starred in two network series, Weatherly had to let everyone know he was the boss, that he had won and no one would come on that set and reject what he thought should be his unfettered right to do and say whatever he wants. There are crew members on record as witnesses to corroborate what for me was one of the most cruel, most aggressive humiliations I have ever experienced. It was I who was mortified.

As for Caron, the “Bull” showrunner, he was undaunted to do Weatherly’s bidding. The fact is that Caron wrote me off the show within 48 hours of my complaints about Weatherly. According to what top production brass at CBS told my agent, Caron had gotten rid of me without the knowledge or consent of that CBS team. Caron personally fired me as I was filming on set one afternoon. It is highly unusual to get fired in the middle of a shooting. I immediately phoned my manager and agent, who in turn phoned the high-ups at CBS. The CBS execs were baffled. They said that they didn’t believe that Caron had the authority to fire me this way and suggested that it could not be true. What’s more, as was documented in several e-mails and texts, they and the production company, Amblin Television, were reportedly loving my work and called what I was doing for the show “fantastic’’ and that they “love this dynamic.’’

My talent representatives spoke to Caron about my firing months later. Caron defended Weatherly, explaining he had simply exhibited “frat” behavior and added, “What does [Eliza] expect, she was in Maxim.” On the subject of my legal rights, Caron said to my manager, “If Eliza wants to be out of the business by suing CBS, she can be out of the business.”

The boys’ club remains in full force at CBS. The bullying continued. In the settlement process, CBS used as defense a photo of me in a bathing suit, pulled from my own Instagram, as if this suggested I deserved or was not offended by the sexual harassment I experienced.

CBS ultimately paid me $9.5 million earlier this year to settle the allegations — an amount that represented a portion of what I would have earned had I finished my potential six-year contract. But this wasn’t just about money; I wanted a culture change. A significant settlement condition was my requirement that CBS designate an individual trained in sexual harassment compliance to monitor Weatherly and the show in general. CBS did not want to do this, but I wouldn’t settle without this condition. Another condition I insisted on was that I be allowed to meet with Steven Spielberg, whose Amblin Television coproduces “Bull,” so I could talk with him about what occurred on his set. I have not yet had my meeting with Spielberg, but I cannot help but wonder where the legendary Hollywood director was throughout all of this. I have been a lifelong fan and assumed that if anyone could make changes, it would be Spielberg. Watching the Golden Globes and seeing Spielberg front-and-center wearing a “Time’s Up” pin shortly after my settlement made me especially eager to meet with him.

The condition CBS required of me was that I not speak about what happened. I really struggled with this and still do. Some online “posters” have called it hush money. Headlines have called it a “secret settlement.’’ How was I to get paid? I have worked in this industry for close to 30 years. I faced a wrongful termination, the prospect of a three-to-five year lawsuit, and million-dollar legal fees for a war with a massive corporation. And where would that war have been fought? According to the fine print in my contract with CBS, I was required to submit to a “confidential” arbitration, where all “proceedings will be closed to the public and confidential, and all records relating thereto will be permanently sealed.” No judge, no jury, and no chance of anyone finding out what really happened (or so they hoped).

In the end, I found uneasy solace in the important conditions I imposed on CBS, and that I would get paid for at least some of my contract. I am still trying to make sense of how this could happen, especially in these times. The last thing I want at this point in my life is to be in the news. I am recently married and very happily finishing my college degree at home in Boston. But I do feel it is my duty to respond honestly and thoroughly to CBS, Michael Weatherly, and Glenn Gordon Caron’s latest revisionist accounts.

Eliza Dushku is a producer and actress.

vampmogs
20-12-18, 06:31 AM
What an incredible letter. I’m so glad she did this and was so black and white about what happened.

This guy is an utter piece of shit. I hope this snowballs into getting him fired. The fact she had to endure that and then CBS treated her so deplorably is really upsetting. As if she hadn’t already been through even in the industry as a child. Sick, sick people.

I’ve always liked Eliza but I have so much respect for her now. The way she has handled herself has been amazing.

flow
20-12-18, 07:41 AM
I hope this show gets cancelled. I hope that guy never gets any other job in the industry.

flow

DeepBlueJoy
20-12-18, 09:56 AM
When I first caught a glimpse of the comments hoping that Weatherly get fired/not work again, I was taken aback... but that was before I read the letter than Eliza wrote. I'm really glad that they broke their side of the enforced silence, and thus allowed her to be able to say PRECISELY what happened.

I also have an idea why Weatherly's NCIS co-stars could defend him so staunchly. On NCIS he wasn't the boss. On NCIS he did not have to prove himself as top dog (except maybe when Cote de Pablo joined the show, and we know she quit abruptly and we've never heard all of why). Neither Perrette nor Alexander were in direct competition for the top slot -- because that place is firmly occupied by Mark Harmon (who has his own difficulties with Perette to the degree that she refused to be in the same room with him by the end -- even for the 'final touching scene'. Anyway, the point is that I think that what went on with Weatherly on HIS show is that he felt free to behave/misbehave as he pleased AND when a co star was brought in to try to make a floundering show more interesting to viewers, he felt threatened, and the first line of attack for immature people who feel threatened is to be bullies and for men this often comes out as sexually inappropriate behavior...

He needed to mark his territory. Almost literally.

For some men it may well be that they don't know just how threatening those little comments feel when the recipient is HALF the weight of the perpetrator... that every woman spends her life organizing how NOT to put herself in danger of rape -- something only men who've been in jail ever think of doing. Women think about the ramifications of what they wear, where they go, who they allow themselves to get on an elevator with, or to be alone in an office with... and after a while it becomes almost unconscious. So... when you're on a set with the 'big man' who controls your future... of course, it feels loaded and intimidating... not just physically, but your career, your character, your ability to get FUTURE work -- all are potentially in jeopardy. As a result of this mess, she probably won't work for CBS for a long time, if ever -- and that's a HUGE part of broadcast TV.

So... for some men, they may not know they are a bull in a china shop. I cannot believe this is the case with Weatherly. I watched the first 12+ seasons of NCIS and his character walked up to the line repeatedly -- and sometimes did things one hopes a law enforcement officer would get fired for (though sadly, we all know that is often not the case). The point is that he's been working on not one but two shows where violence against women comes up a lot... so if he didn't know in his personal life, and didn't hear about it in his professional conduct training, he must have been exposed to it in the shows he worked on - because we saw it come up again and again. Anyone with his exposure to various aspects of the subject cannot be unaware. That leaves DELIBERATE, sadistic bullying... and even sexually predatory behavior. I guess Les Moonves led by example after all!

I am glad she won. I really do hope she wins the war... because I fear her chances of getting a good series just went down the toilet. After all, it's happened before to women who refused to play 'ball'. They simply don't get hired.

As i said before: CBS has a woman problem. At some point, no one who has a decent show or attitude will want to work for them... and that won't just be women, though it seems to take some men a long time to recognize that being predators is NOT sexy. It is not powerful. It is not manhood. It is just sick, disgusting, sometimes frightening and always... unnecessary.

Thank you for sharing your truth, Ms. Dushku. I wish you much work. You have my support and my respect.

Blue

KingofCretins
20-12-18, 08:30 PM
It's a pretty damning account Eliza gives. I won't lie that my long time crush on her makes it more grating she had to go through that.

That said, I don't think CBS is likely to cancel "Bull" unless there is an exceptional backlash that, so far, I see no indication of. Money is money.

As for what's different about NCIS, a few points -- we don't actually know that there was a conduct issue in the first place. Cote de Pablo was on the show for... 9 seasons? So by definition she didn't suddenly quit in any sense of the word. Weatherly may have changed his behavior to match a different environment. Perhaps Mark Harmon, or Donald Bellisario, were influences that kept him in check. I would say, what Tony Dinozzo did or didn't do as a fictional character is of no real relevance. Perhaps on the set of "Bull" he just felt more entitled/empowered to act inappropriately than he did on the NCIS set. Perhaps the very fact of the heightened attention given to harassment in Hollywood these days (well, pretend attention, seems pretty clear that for the most part the point has been to get back to business as usual, there is no greater hypocrites in the world than that industry) he thought he would make a show of being a miscreant as a way of rolling his eyes at it, since some people just can't tell when they aren't funny.

Now, unfortunately, you are probably right that there isn't a show coming any time soon. Consider this piece from Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/a-wall-street-rule-for-the-metoo-era-avoid-women-at-all-cost) --

No more dinners with female colleagues. Don’t sit next to them on flights. Book hotel rooms on different floors. Avoid one-on-one meetings.

In fact, as a wealth adviser put it, just hiring a woman these days is “an unknown risk.” What if she took something he said the wrong way?

Across Wall Street, men are adopting controversial strategies for the #MeToo era and, in the process, making life even harder for women.

Call it the Pence Effect, after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who has said he avoids dining alone with any woman other than his wife. In finance, the overarching impact can be, in essence, gender segregation.

Interviews with more than 30 senior executives suggest many are spooked by #MeToo and struggling to cope. “It’s creating a sense of walking on eggshells,” said David Bahnsen, a former managing director at Morgan Stanley who’s now an independent adviser overseeing more than $1.5 billion.

This is hardly a single-industry phenomenon, as men across the country check their behavior at work, to protect themselves in the face of what they consider unreasonable political correctness -- or to simply do the right thing. The upshot is forceful on Wall Street, where women are scarce in the upper ranks. The industry has also long nurtured a culture that keeps harassment complaints out of the courts and public eye, and has so far avoided a mega-scandal like the one that has engulfed Harvey Weinstein.

In Hollywood, this could easily take shape as a de facto black list by production companies and networks of women who they think might in one way or another gum up the works by either "overreacting" (which is to say, reacting) to mistreatment, OR actually overreacting to normal conduct. I certainly hope that doesn't happen to Eliza Dushku but seems quite plausible. Holy hell would I love her on the new "Buffy" show if it were to be a legit continuation series -- imagine Faith being the one who had the challenge of preparing a new generation, rather than Buffy herself who we know is the sort to be able to pull that off pretty easily by comparison.