PDA

View Full Version : Would the show(s) be better or worse with shorter episode counts?

DanSlayer
06-12-18, 10:33 PM
The reboot show, if it ever gets off the ground will be for cable or streaming they said. That means 10-13 episodes maximum per season. A common complaint of Netflix Marvel is that they didn't have enough story to justify 13 episodes each season. SHIELD has gotten around there 22 episode seasons in self-proclaimed pods. 2 or 3 mini arcs per season with a new villain/setting with the character development holding it together. It's now two summer seasons will be 13 episodes each. Even broadcast networks are for the most part trimming the episode counts on "higher concept" shows; The Gifted and Manifest are both ending at 16 episodes this year. At least in the communities I see, people wish the Arrowverse shows like The Flash would take this approach instead of artificially extending one Big Bad to 22/23 episodes as the main arc. Though as an all-ages network show they also run into certain restrictions, some obvious like language and a few others they likely won't officially comment on; like the lack of main female antagonists on the male led shows.

Now, if the Buffyverse did this, we'd likely lose Hush or Waiting in the Wings, but I also think certain slogs in Season 6 and Season 7 of Buffy would have been avoided. Apparently at the time it was a common complaint that Buffy and Willow spent too long waffling with their addictions and trauma; realistic perhaps but frustrating to watch.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

a thing of evil
06-12-18, 11:36 PM
Buffy would be much better, I think. Let's look at it season by season.

Season 6? Obviously. It has enough plot for, like 10-12 episodes, max. Go Bargaining to Tabula Rasa (maybe minus Flooded and All the Way) and then Seeing Red to Grave and you've got a tight, amazing season.

Season 5? Yeah, why not, it's still possible to tell that story in 12 episodes, there's plenty of filler in season 5 after all. Season 7, it's the same story pretty much, it's mostly glacial garbage so having 13 episodes could maybe salvage that disaster.

Season 2? No problem here because season 2 is basically two seasons, it has two major story arcs and can be easily divided. You go When She Was Bad to What's My Line - that's your first season, all about Spike and Dru, and then you go Surprise to Becoming and that's you second season, the Angelus arc. Boom!

Season 4? Bring it on, the plot's an afterthought anyway and there's easily 13 good/great episodes in season 4, you get front to back quality.

Season 3 is the only one that could potentially be harmed by having only 13 episodes, however, if you remove the filler (Amends, Homecoming, Band Candy etc) you can still tell that story in just 13 episodes with a bit more compressed style of storytelling like in, for example, Graduation.

Dipstick
07-12-18, 12:19 AM
I don't think BtVS would be better with shorter seasons. Generally, I think it's a shame that my favorite prestige shows today have such short seasons. I miss the old 22-ep length seasons. If I've fallen in love with the characters and the dialogue style, I want more time with the show, not less. I'd happily sacrifice a "tight season plot" for more quality character time. I also have a particular fondness for little MoTWs episodes when they're executed right. Even aside from a classic like Doppelgangland (not really Hush because that works hard to advance S4 big plots in The Initiative, Biley, and Tillow), I really enjoy your Reptile Boys, your Fear Itselfs, your Interventions. I really love S2-4- and I think there's typically 18-19 good episodes there. S5 is probably lower but still, probably like 15 good eps. If I really hate an episode and find it useless, I could just chalk up the waste of 40 minutes and never see it again. I don't like S6-7 but frankly, I enjoyed the non-arc episodes more than the arc-episodes. In S6, I like Gone, Hells Bells, and Normal Again more than Dead Things, Tabula Rasa, and the Dark Willow eps. In S7, I like Selfless and Him more than....any other ep in the season.

AtS is a better fit for this because the main draw for me is the arcs. However even there, I think only S3 and S5 would have arguably benefited from shortening the season. Those are seasons where there's a cool arc but some annoying wheel spinning in not particularly endearing MoTW episodes. S1 is all MoTWs and pretty darn good ones at that. Like good BTvS seasons, S2 and S4 have too many good episode. And those seasons have too many episodes geared to the big arc actually to cut. Like S4 is all one continuous long arc.

SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THE SOPRANOS AND MAD MEN

I also don't think shorter seasons necessarily force the writers to only put out quality or to pick the valuable plot/character work to put front and center. Even in great shows. I love The Sopranos but I thought S5 and the first half of S6 were very slow. Then, stuff really heated up in the back half of S6 when FINALLY, the long foreshadowed war between Tony's Jersey Family and the New York Family happened. However, that war which was steadily promised through the whole series pretty much only occurred in three episodes. Those three eps were incredibly exciting and great but it did feel anti-climactic for this long-promised major event to be over and done so quickly. I get that three eps represent a big chunk of S6B's 9 eps but it's like nothing, in a long-term show investment.

DeepBlueJoy
07-12-18, 03:02 AM
Since there's only about 3 or 4 episodes max that I'd like to cull from the entire series, I am totally not for the shortened series. I think sometimes that it's too intense... TOO MUCH happens in some of the shorter netflix shows I watch and not in an enjoyable way... it just gets tiring. Sometimes brevity is good, but sometimes i feel as if the show doesn't 'breathe'. I do get that we might have missed been spared such gems as doublemeat palace and gingerbread, but the truly fully realized characters we have in Buffy and Angel are because we had time to see them develop and reveal NUANCE. There is no nuance in the short seasons of my fav marvel shows, though i love them.

I think that we don't 'know' the characters the way we came to know Buffy. We probably never will b/c there simply isn't time for it. The ancillary characters that so enriched Buffy are either missing, or they get so little time to develop that they are two dimensional and often blur together instead of being memorable. Is it effective story telling? Yes, but I do feel it lacks a richness that Buffy has... I'm in process of rewatching criminal minds at the moment... and there's new stuff to see -- because it's another well written show and the villains are often round and well developed, not cardboard cretins to be demolished with flashy powers or equipment. This is what makes shows RE-watchable. Nearly anything is fun (or at least tolerable) once.

It still takes a while to get to know our main characters.

Even if you cover a big story arc quickly, you don't have time for character depth. What that means is that we're three seasons into daredevil and I am only really beginning to understand my characters in a way i knew Buffy characters by middle to end of season 2... it simply does takes those twenty or thirty episodes for the actors to inhabit the characters like skin and for the writers to make them into people, not just story advancement vessels... so they call it three seasons, but in fact... it is in terms of growing the characters, still taking that much time to absorb them. Maybe more, since there is so much less 'there'. People don't talk faster or fight faster in short shows... though some scenes do get truncated and fat does get trimmed... Sometimes a girl likes story with a bit of meat on its bones. Jerky can get tiresome after a while, even Tillamook jerky, and it is a bitch to chew all that leather-meat. We may all have short attention spans these days, but some things still taste better with flavor and sauce and not dried out or rendered down to nothing...

Yes, a novel can be 200 pages or 500 pages... and 500 pages can be too long... but in the right hands, that 500 pages... can be like dancing in gold and silver... rich.

Blue

Stoney
07-12-18, 03:57 AM
If I love the characters of a show I'd rather get more and have time exploring the character issues and dynamics as well as getting to see plot focused eps too. If it's great I'd definitely want more rather than less.

GoSpuffy
07-12-18, 06:04 AM
I vote worse because I feel each episode moved the story in the direction it was heading, you have to watch each episode to really be in tune with the story.

Rebcake
07-12-18, 06:48 AM
I talked with Jane Espenson about this very thing! *buffs nails* She said that she liked the idea of a tighter season arc, but it would be at the expense of episodes like Superstar, which I would prefer NOT to live without. I adore a lot of the "frontage road" episodes to distraction, but I know not everybody shares my enthusiasm.

This discussion took place right around her stint on the short format Miracle Day season of Torchwood, which wasn't a great success, IMO.

Bottom line: you can't have everything.

flow
07-12-18, 08:57 AM
I don`t want to loose a single episode! A loud and clear "No" from me!

flow

TimeTravellingBunny
07-12-18, 10:18 AM
Some of the seasons definitely suffered from the filler episodes. Season 2 is a perfect example of a season that had a great arc but several bad MOW filler episodes.
I can actually remove 6 episodes from season 2 and get a much tighter 16 episode season:
Remove:
Some Assembly Required
Inca Mummy Girl
Reptile Boy
Bad Eggs
Killed by Death
Go Fish

The last two have the problem that they are weakening the Angel arc and are obviously just shoved in there and weren't planned to be a part of that arc.

Of course, any important character moments from these episodes (like the development of Giles/Jenny from SAR or Oz' introduction from IMG) would have to be moved to other episodes.

But with other seasons, things are more complicated. No, we wouldn't lose Hush, or even Doppelgangland, because Joss really wanted to do these episodes. But season 4, for instance, has much better standalone episodes than the main arc. Season 3 is largely a collection of standalone episodes, where only about 6 episodes are about the actual main plot, but the standalone are mostly great.
And season 5 is pretty much perfect as it is, and has extremely little of anything that can be called filler. Maybe 2 or 3 episodes can even be considered standalone - but most of the season is connected to the main plot, characters and themes.

Season 6 could maybe benefit from removing Doublemeat Palace, All the Way and Older and Far Away - or, even better, swapping the latter for As You Were, and finding a different reason for Buffy to break up with Spike: say, Buffy realizes she's neglecting Dawn and is reminded that Spike would still bite and kill innocent people (make that more explicit) - there, I gave you better reasons for Buffy to break up with Spike, without Riley or the Doctor nonsense. Also, that way we keep an episode focused on the main cast member (Dawn) instead of RIley, who didn't need to come back; and that episode shoyld also follow up better from Dead Things, be darker, and have Buffy acknowkedging both how bad her beating of Spike was in DT, and how wrong their relationship is in general, and follow it up by ending it.

You could also condense some of the other episodes - Flooded and Life Serial into one, and Wrecked/ Gone into one - where we get rid of the most on-the-nose drug references to Willow's addiction, which make up a lot of Wrecked. Instead, just make a point that Willow has a psychological addition to magic. It's not like Buffy's "addiction" to banging Spike (directly compared to Willow in these episodes) is a literal physical addiction, either.

So, that leaves 17 episodes...one other needs to go to get a 16 episode season. And...sorry, all Tabula Rasa fans, I know it's funny, but it's 100% a filler episode. The only relevant things that happen in it already happened or were just about to happen at the end of OMWF.

With season 7, the problem is that it's both too dragged out in some places and too rushed in others (at the end, with the last two episodes) and that wrong things are getting focus and screentime in those last couple of episodes (pointless fanservicey love triangle at the 11th hour, instead of Buffy repairing her relationships with Scoobies, especially Giles). So there would have to be a restructuring of the entire season. But definitely get rid of bad filler like Him or the Xander plot of First Date. On the other hand, definitely keep Selfless and Storyteller. Condense and change some other stuff.

With AtS, the situation is a bit different because my favourite AtS season, season 2, is practically two seasons in one. A more logically structured season 2 would have ended with Epiphany. It would still be full of filler, and you could get rid of up to 7 filler episodes. But since seasons sre either 8, 10, 12, 13 or 16 episodes long, you could remove 6 and make it a really tight 10 episode season. Or 3, if you want a 13 episode one. I say, definitely remove First Impressions, Shroud of Rahmon and Happy Anniversary, maybe remove Untouched, Thin Dead Line and Guise Will Be Guise (we could keep Blood Money just for Anne).

But season 1 would be full of standalones either way, because it barely had any main plot. It's a season made up of standalones. So it would be just a question of which are good and which are bad.

Season 3 has an awful lot of filler, mostly bad, and would easily get trimmed down to 13 or 12 or even 11 episodes. You could actually have it start with the Pylea arc, then have Darla return as soon as they come back - and have a 16 episode season.

Season 4, however, is a whole different beast...it has just 3 standalones I can think of. Most of season 4 is heavily serialized. And it's a great example that serialized doesn't have to mean good. This season's many problems can't be fixed by condensing things. You would have to completely rewrite most of it. The Cordelia crap, the Angelus crap....

And season 5 would benefit the most from getting trimmed down - it would mean that terrible episodes like The Girl In Question, Why We Fight, Life of the Party, The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco...would not have happened. (But it would be pity if Smile Time hadn't.) Which also wouldn't fix all of the problems of that season, but it's a good start.

Stoney
07-12-18, 10:32 AM
I don`t want to loose a single episode! A loud and clear "No" from me!

I'm pretty sure the new show isn't supposed to be a remake. With the new comic going back to the high school years I've got a bit muddled in my mind but I don't think there has ever been info provided about where/how/when the setting of the proposed show would go.

vampmogs
07-12-18, 10:54 AM
To be honest, I disagree with labelling MotW episodes "filler" as it implies that the writers only ever wanted serial arc-heavy episodes and were simply forced into doing MotW episodes to pad out a 22 episode season. Did they ever state this? Certainly not as far as I can ever recall. It also implies that the MotW episodes aren't as important despite the fact that they make up a significant chunk of the series and help define it for what it was. Buffy wouldn't have been the same series without it's MotW episodes. The MotW play a pivotal role in fleshing out the mythology of the show and they also help familiarise us with the characters/relationships.

Honestly, if you had removed the MotW episodes from Season 1-2 I probably wouldn't have cared about the characters anywhere CLOSE enough to be as emotionally invested as I was during the Angelus arc. Those MotW episodes, whilst not groundbreaking in terms of characterisation or story, helped me grow attached to these characters and fall in love with them all. Allowing us time to see the characters in these bizarre and sometimes goofy and lighthearted stories really endeared them to me and it laid the groundwork for my emotional attachment in the arc heavy eps. One of my biggest problems with current TV is that I'm emotionally invested in very few TV characters now despite shows being heavily serialised. The show's expect you to have an emotional attachment to these characters instantaneously and as the episodes are all serialised you are also expected to moved by the plot and what's happening to them. But without the MotW episodes/standalone episodes these characters don't feel familiar or "comfy" to me. If you think about how in RL our emotional attachment to loved ones grows from mundane day-to-day interaction, IMO, the same is true of TV shows and standalone episodes. It was the MotW episodes where I got to know these characters and that's why the arc-heavy episodes (especially the emotional ones) then packed such a punch.

But I'm also biased because I really enjoy most of the MotW episodes? *shrugs* They contain wonderful moments between characters and the older I get the more I have grown to appreciate watching the standalone episodes and seeing the different types of monsters or adventures that the writers came up with. And whilst Buffy had plenty of MotW episodes, they were never so self-contained that the characters were "reset" by the end of every episode/start of the next one. They still developed the romantic relationships, Buffy/Giles dynamic, friendships etc throughout those episodes and had them build from one episode to the next. I would find them tedious if nothing changed and everything was the same again each episode but that was rarely if ever the case and the series was simply too self-referential about past episodes/events for it to ever feel that way. Not everything has to move the plot. Why can't we also just spend time... with the characters? I don't get why that's considered a waste of time? :headscratch:

I think people would be better off speculating whether they should have made the MotW episodes BETTER as opposed to remove them entirely. Like I said, I personally love most of them, but it's obvious that a lot of them aren't as strong as more of the plot-heavy episodes. But that's not because they're MotW's. As TTB points out, Season 3 is technically made up of a lot of standalone episodes but they're almost all incredibly strong episodes and Season 3 is often regarded as one of, if not the best seasons of the show. And the things people like the most about Season 4 are it's standalone episodes. There's no reason a MotW or a standalone episode has to be *bad* and they can often be just as good if not better than some plot-heavy episodes. I mean, an episode like Hush or Dopplegangland is much more beloved by fandom than one of your run of the mill arc-heavy episodes of Season 7 centred around The First that nobody cares about or even mentions.

But I'm not for shortening Buffy seasons and I'm forever grateful we got 22 episodes. I cherish and adore these characters and as much as I think the series may have lost steam in it's final seasons I am very glad I have 144 episodes to watch obsessively because even *that* doesn't feel like enough.

a thing of evil
07-12-18, 11:38 AM
If I've fallen in love with the characters and the dialogue style, I want more time with the show, not less. I'd happily sacrifice a "tight season plot" for more quality character time.

But the logical conclusion to this way of thinking is that the show should never end and then you get...Supernatural. :bleh::bleh::bleh:

Sosa lola
07-12-18, 12:20 PM
IMO the best character interactions are in the MotW episodes. You learn so many little things about them in them and grow to love them even more.

TimeTravellingBunny
07-12-18, 03:22 PM
IMO the best character interactions are in the MotW episodes. You learn so many little things about them in them and grow to love them even more.

But if the seasons were shorter, the writers could write those interactions in better episodes, and we wouldn't have things like Go Fish interrupting the flow of the Angel arc, or The Girl in Question (UGH) being placed almost before the series finale, and also, just TGIQ existing. :down:

If Buffy or Angel were a cable or streaming show, or have the same format, there would be a lesser number of episodes (say, 16), but every episode would be about 10 to 15 minutes longer. So, you would get more screentime for great character moments and interactions in each of the episodes, without the need to come up with random plots for filler episodes, or do scripts that were clearly written for season 1 of BtVS rather than season 2 (that was the case with Go Fish, and it shows).

Also, why is everyone assuming that a lower episode count would mean no MoW episodes? Like I said, some seasons (like season 1 and 3 of BtVS and season 1 of AtS) were mostly made up of standalone episodes. Yet many of them were great. Season 1 of BtVS had just 12 episodes, but most of them were MoW episodes.
I think you could still do MoW with 16 episodes per season, or even 13 (though not with 8). And you could also condense the arc and not have as many arc episodes (which would help in season 7 in particular).

Finally, shows having a lower episode count or shows being extremely serialized doesn't necessarily mean they are fast-paced or don't have a ton of filler. Look at The Walking Dead. Or even better, don't, because the show is really bad and you don't need to watch it. But that's a show with 16 episodes per season, very serialized, but it drags and drags everything out to a ridiculous extent. If BtVS had been like TWD, for instance, the Mayor would the Big Bad for 3 seasons, and Glory for about 5 seasons.

DeepBlueJoy
07-12-18, 05:06 PM
Some of the seasons definitely suffered from the filler episodes. Season 2 is a perfect example of a season that had a great arc but several bad MOW filler episodes.
I can actually remove 6 episodes from season 2 and get a much tighter 16 episode season:
Remove:
Some Assembly Required
Inca Mummy Girl
Reptile Boy
Bad Eggs
Killed by Death
Go Fish

OK, SAR develops both Giles/Jenny and the character of Cordelia, but is kinda lame.

Inca Mummy girl introduces Oz and develops our understanding of everyone. It also kinda rehearses the deep theme of sacrifice that is Buffy's life. The mummy and Buffy were both special and both sacrifices that didn't have a say in the matter.

Reptile Boy... is silly but funny. I kinda like a certain boy in a bra...

Bad eggs... meh, we could do without. But I love how Buffy is bad ass at the end. And I like Xander's transgressive plan...

Killed by death I actually like. I love how it shows Xander's courage and the bonding and development of the team. For the first time, Buffy is really in need of help and people to surround her, and they do. If Buffy has no one there, she doesn't survive. Willow, Xander and even Cordy are part of her survival. We see just how much courage they have and just how much of a coward Angelus actually

Go fish... well, if you like swimsuit Xander, it's a great ep, otherwise, I got nothing. It does kinda touch on 'me too' long before me too... the way those with privileged are allowed to get away with whatever they want and the craziness that can be organized sports in school and beyond.

So, we lose maybe 2 episodes tops in this season. I really do think Buffy is an epic tale... and epic tales need to meander a bit... like life. Every one of those episodes is cross-linked to future Buffy. In bad eggs we meet the Gorches... they come back... This show is a continuity, even in the stand alone episodes. We have a tapestry, not a bunch of random thread, and when you stand back, it's absolutely gorgeous. How do you cut holes in that?

You don't. I don't want to pull out any of the threads... not even the ones with snags in them.

Here is how i see it. There are many ways to tell a good story. Still, I love my Buffy and I don't want to trim it and make it 'tight'. There are series that are thin on the vine and don't need a lot of story telling... but mostly what I see with the short netflix is that they are a slice of something. They're not the pie. And sometimes that's what we have time for... but what I come back to? things that satisfy. Things that have enough 'uhmph' to them to make me want to climb inside again and again.

I guess I'm more of a Lord of the Rings sort of girl than a... slender novelette kind of girl. Apparently the world is on my side too... b/c the things we adore are the LoTR and the Harry Potter of all those very long books... And the movie epics that are made of them. The people whose worlds we can inhabit. It is why I'm rewatching 14 seasons of Criminal Minds instead of the lovely three seasons of some fabulously filmed Netfix hit. It's why I rewatch 7 seasons of 20+ episodes of Stargate. It's why I have EVERY episode of the star trek epic. All the series.

In spite of getting tired of all the sequels, there's a reason people like them. They get 'into' a character and they want to keep spending time with him/her/them.

Yes, there is poetry in small things - I love a good song for example, but that is a different kind of thing to savor. There's something natural about epics that allow us to live and love and laugh and cry and kick ass with our people. Most of the stories that seem to stay with us are stories that either dig in deep or that cover a long swath of life, or best of all those that do both.

Other than James Baldwin, i can't think of many short books that stay with me. And his are both dense and intense. In fact, most of the short books I can think of that are classics are deeply complex and wouldn't lend themselves to short shrift. When a book is small and intense, you can set it aside and savor and absorb and then come back. It's harder to watch ten 'tight' episodes of something that purports to tell an epic and be able to absorb that much. It's harder still for there to BE that much inside the tight skin of a tiny epic. A lot can happen... like in game of thrones, tons happens... but it's harder to care deeply for the people, though you can get addicted to the adventure... for a while. Look away for a moment, though, and your favorite character died bad and they're on to something else. It gets trivial. Easy to watch. Easy to discard. Easy to move on.

TimeTravellingBunny
07-12-18, 05:18 PM
OK, SAR develops both Giles/Jenny and the character of Cordelia, but is kinda lame.

Inca Mummy girl introduces Oz and develops our understanding of everyone. It also kinda rehearses the deep theme of sacrifice that is Buffy's life. The mummy and Buffy were both special and both sacrifices that didn't have a say in the matter.

Reptile Boy... is silly but funny. I kinda like a certain boy in a bra...

Bad eggs... meh, we could do without. But I love how Buffy is bad ass at the end. And I like Xander's transgressive plan...

Killed by death I actually like. I love how it shows Xander's courage and the bonding and development of the team. For the first time, Buffy is really in need of help and people to surround her, and they do. If Buffy has no one there, she doesn't survive. Willow, Xander and even Cordy are part of her survival. We see just how much courage they have and just how much of a coward Angelus actually

Go fish... well, if you like swimsuit Xander, it's a great ep, otherwise, I got nothing. It does kinda touch on 'me too' long before me too... the way those with privileged are allowed to get away with whatever they want and the craziness that can be organized sports in school and beyond.

So, we lose maybe 2 episodes tops in this season. I really do think Buffy is an epic tale... and epic tales need to meander a bit... like life. Every one of those episodes is cross-linked to future Buffy. In bad eggs we meet the Gorches... they come back... This show is a continuity, even in the stand alone episodes. We have a tapestry, not a bunch of random thread, and when you stand back, it's absolutely gorgeous. How do you cut holes in that?

You don't. I don't want to pull out any of the threads... not even the ones with snags in them.

You're looking at it as if we're going to take BtVS, as it is, and eliminate certain episodes. But that's not what the question is about, I think.
I would never recommend to anyone to skip episodes while watching.

The question is, if BtVS had a lower number of episodes per season, would it have tighter and better storytelling?
This means that the writers would be dealing with, say, a 16 episode season to begin with, not a 22 episode one. And that would mean that they'd plan and structure the entire season and individual episodes differently.
All those great or important little moments from Some Assembly Required or Go Fish would happen in other episodes. (And if BtVS had longer episodes - as most cable or streaming shows do - that would mean more screentime in other episodes for more important or great character moments.) You just wouldn't have the main plots of these episodes.

And you wouldn't have Go Fish or Killed by Death happen in the midst of the Angel arc and interrupt its flow and water down the story after Passion. I definitely think season 2 would work much better and be a better season if we went from Passion to I Only Have Eyes For You (which follows up directly from Passion, and sets up the two part finale, with Buffy and Giles both dealing with their pain, Angel getting angry and frustrated because of being possessed by 'love' and ready to double down with the world destruction plan, and the cliffhanger reveal of Spike being able to walk and having a plan) straight to Becoming parts 1 and 2. The placement of KbD and especially Go Fish is especially problematic. Go Fish would have worked better in season 1 (and was written for season 1, by a writer who wasn't a part of the staff at that point), minus the gross rape/cannibalism joke at the end, or the Scoobies gross attitude to Buffy having been sexually assaulted by her date (which are the things that bother me the most about that episode), and Killed by Death is a good little MoW but should have happened earlier in season 2, or in season 1. Or even in season 3 - just not in the middle of the Angel arc. (Angel scenes feels like a late addition to the episode, and probably were. If you want to keep the Angel/Xander episode, you could have it happen in one of the other episodes.)

I'm not sure if the other seasons would have worked better with a shorter count, but I think season 2 definitely would, and would have been even better that way.

ETA: As for "short" storytelling.. There's nothing short about a 16 episode season. (It's basically like watching 8 feature films, or at least 7, if you're counting a feature film as 2 hours long, and episodes as about 55 minutes long, or 6 feature films, if you're going by "2 hour movie, 45 minutes long episode" rule. That's longer than the entirety of some film franchises.) Let alone about 7 seasons like that.

MikeB
07-12-18, 11:04 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* They'd be much worse and this isn't arguable. As-is, certain scenes were only 'cut for time'. Some good and/or key scenes were added simply because the episode was 'too short'.

BtVS S6 and BtVS S7 focus on the 3 most popular characters in the Buffyverse: Spike, Buffy, and Willow--and there isn't much for other characters. Those episodes are shorter than previous Seasons' episodes.

* If you like a character who isn't one the most popular, shorter Seasons mean such a character might not even be in a bunch of episodes, would be killed off, or not get nearly as much character development.

* Great writing in TV series and great TV series need the 'room'. Game of Thrones in Season 7 is considered 'rushed'.

Gossip Girl in Season 6 had to 'wrap up' in 10 episodes or whatever and it clearly feels rushed.

* The Vampire Diaries in Seasons 1-3 burned through story and plot at a very quick pace. That's like 6 seasons of a 10-13 episode series. Its only problem was 'kowtowing' to the rabid Delena fans.

* The DC animated movies are better written than almost all the live-action Marvel and DC movies. And the animated movies don't have much time to focus on the characters and sometimes simply clearly focus on 1 character.

* A big ensemble and a 'big world' requires space. I've always assumed it was most likely Disney would put the 'reboot' of BtVS on its streaming service. Otherwise, it'd be on ABC. I'm not sure how cable would work. I'd imagine Netflix would be more likely.