PDA

View Full Version : 20 times you appreciated Anya's brutal honesty

Sosa lola
01-12-18, 07:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpkKCydn9ug

Some of these examples aren't exactly brutal, but I've always thought "is it difficult or time-consuming?" to be the most relatable, especially to lazy me. :lol:

The first two clips in the list rekindled my love for Willow/Anya! My favorite femslash ship!

The most brutal Anya retorts in the series were not included: telling Xander he was a scared little boy, and telling Buffy she was luckier than them.

Dipstick
03-12-18, 05:30 PM
[video=youtube;NpkKCydn9ug]The most brutal Anya retorts in the series were not included: telling Xander he was a scared little boy, and telling Buffy she was luckier than them.

One of the entries was Anya's "Willow's a demon?!" in Checkpoint where Anya was NOT brutally honest, but instead a lying liar who lies who was pretending Willow was a demon on a Hail Mary Pass that the Watchers would dole out whatever pain or murder they'd mean for former vengeance demons out on Willow.

I agree that Anya telling Xander that he's a scared little boy and telling Buffy that she's just lucky were brutal and at least an honest reflection of how Anya was feeling. However, I didn't like Anya in either instance. I didn't *appreciate* her "hoensty." It's tricky with honesty. I think Anya was honestly pissed off at Buffy in Empty Places and bluntly displaying that. However, Anya most definitely lies to herself to make herself feel better to say that Buffy is just "luckier" than Anya to become a slayer instead of "better" when Anya sold herself twice to get superpowers to hurt others. Anya betrays a lack of honesty about herself in Empty Places.

For some Anya-positivity, I liked "If it wasn't for me, Giles would be a terrified old man staring at a quarterly tax statement and wetting himself" and "You know, fine, take her side instead of mine even though I'm the one who sleeps with you and feeds you, bathes you..." Anya can take full honest pride in how she definitely whipped the Magic Box into shape and made a home with Xander because she took the role of caring live-in girlfriend with alacrity.

Sosa lola
03-12-18, 05:50 PM
I know people appreciate honest characters, and the ones who tell it as it is, and while I prefer honesty, I don't care for tactless honesty. You wanna be honest with someone, do it respectfully. Manners shouldn't be be tossed out of the window just because you think you know better than the other person.

Another thing about brutal honesty, the character is surely honest but that doesn't mean they're right or what they're saying is the truth. Xander, Spike, Anya and Cordelia seem to fall under the category of the "dropping truth-bombs" but a lot of their honest speeches are bullshit, and the manner in which they deliver that honesty usually hurts their case IMO.

flow
03-12-18, 06:01 PM
Oh god, her speech in The Body just made me cry all over again....

flow

Sosa lola
03-12-18, 06:03 PM
Oh god, her speech in The Body just made me cry all over again....

flow

It's very relatable, especially since I've lost my father recently. A lot of what Anya says in her speech crossed my mind right after his death.

Dipstick
03-12-18, 06:21 PM
I know people appreciate honest characters, and the ones who tell it as it is, and while I prefer honesty, I don't care for tactless honesty. You wanna be honest with someone, do it respectfully. Manners shouldn't be be tossed out of the window just because you think you know better than the other person.

Another thing about brutal honesty, the character is surely honest but that doesn't mean they're right or what they're saying is the truth. Xander, Spike, Anya and Cordelia seem to fall under the category of the "dropping truth-bombs" but a lot of their honest speeches are bullshit, and the manner in which they deliver that honesty usually hurts their case IMO.

I'd differentiate Xander from Spike/Anya/Cordelia. Xander has no social grace at all. He doesn't have a filter. He'll say ill-advised stuff to high status and low status people alike. He'll trip all over himself trying to suck up to Snyder to avoid school discipline but he can't do it- he just enrages Snyder. He'll harshly criticize Buffy on his lonesome just because it's what he genuinely feels even though Buffy is the leader of the group and has the power to lower his status in their group. He'll accidentally say humiliating stuff about himself like his low grades or lack of money or sexual fantasies until he embarassedly realizes what he just said. Cordelia and Anya, on the other hand, do have the social skills to be polite and to self-promote the best version of themselves to others. The Cordelia who bullies the Scoobies is completely different from the Cordelia who sucks up to teachers or the latest high status jock. Cordelia can keep her own lower financial status secret for months; she just feels liberty to betray Xander's secrets about how he deals with abuse at home. The Anya who was brilliant at manipulating people in wishing dangerous realities or who pretended to be a student at SHS is completely different than the Anya who's decided to metaphorically put her feet up at the Scoobies' dining room table because "The rules are dumb" when you don't get anything out of feigning politeness. In his truth, Xander is a harsh critic of others but he's also a relentlessly harsh critic of himself. He turns his honesty inward. Cordelia sometimes gets there like A Room W/ a Vu but generally, her oft-celebrated confidence inhibits any difficult self-knowledge. I don't think Xander would ever be seduced by Skip telling Xander that he's the bestest champion of all and he should ascend because he's beyond humanity. Same with Anya. Anya had an epiphany in Selfless about how she misspent the last thousand years of life but IMO, she was particularly harsh on Buffy in S7 because Anya was looking for an outward target instead of dealing with her own sh*t.

Spike is an outlier. S4-6 Spike can be analogized to Xander in the sense that his demon and connection to evil controls his manner of speech. He also doesn't have a filter in the sense that he can't really be reliably compassionate as long as he is souless. However, Spike can also manipulate and be phony because he's necessarily evil. I think S7 Spike is closer to Anya/Cordelia in the sense that he's so gentle to Buffy but so brutally rude to Wood/Giles/Faith/Andrew/everyone. However mainly, I think S7 Spike is just spectacularly one-track mind. His sole focus is being Buffy's Champion. He doesn't really want to fit into the wider world.