PDA

View Full Version : What would they change?

Priceless
13-11-18, 08:22 PM
This comes from reading so many time travel fics recently . . . If any of our characters could go back in time to any point in their lives, and change one thing, what would it be? Why would they choose to change that one thing and what would the knock-on effects be?

I guess Willow is the easiest, in that she'd probably go back to save Tara. She'd just have to keep her away from the window and that would save her life, and change everything going forward from that point.

Do you see any knock-on effects of this action that might have a detrimental effect going forward?

What one thing would the other characters change do you think?

Sosa lola
14-11-18, 11:31 AM
A long time ago in 2005, I think, there was a fic challenge in the Buffyworld board about this exact topic. There were amazing oneshots written by lots of members. Mine was about Xander, duh! Set in S7 after Empty Places, one eyed Xander traveled back to S1 and inform his 16 year old self that when he gets the soldier memories the upcoming Halloween, he has to find a way to keep those memories and work on improving his military skills to be more of use to his friends in the future.

I feel the easy answer would be characters going back to save a loved one. Willow would save Tara from dying, Xander would save Anya, Buffy would save Spike and so on.

Other than saving a loved one from being killed or dying, I think:

Buffy: Back to S2 on her sixteenth birthday, she won't sleep with Angel. She'd tell him about the curse. Other perks would be seeing her mom alive again, downside would be there's no Dawn.

Xander: Back to S5, he won't propose to Anya. He'd never pop the question until he's ready.

Willow: Back to S6, she won't bring Buffy back. Not after seeing how horrible it was for her.

Giles: I'm tempted to say S6, that he wouldn't have left Buffy, but I don't think he sees that decision as a wrong one. So, I guess he'll go way back to his early twenties when he used to play irresponsibly with the dark magics.

Willow from Buffy
14-11-18, 12:16 PM
Do you see any knock-on effects of this action that might have a detrimental effect going forward?

Willow saves Tara by pushing her away from the window, but then Buffy dies after she flat lines in hospital.

B]Willow:[/B] Back to S6, she won't bring Buffy back. Not after seeing how horrible it was for her.

I don't think she would, because Buffy eventually embraces life again.

Sosa lola
14-11-18, 12:19 PM
Willow saves Tara by pushing her away from the window, but then Buffy dies after she flat lines in hospital.

That would be an interesting twist.

I don't think she would, because Buffy eventually embraces life again.

I think you're right about that. Perhaps Willow would go back to the Tabula Rasa period and won't do the spell that pushed Tara to break up with her.

Priceless
14-11-18, 12:26 PM

Possibly, but I'm putting my faith in those surgeons and Slayer healing :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're right about that. Perhaps Willow would go back to the Tabula Rasa period and won't do the spell that pushed Tara to break up with her.

I think Willow and perhaps Giles would go back to that confrontation in the kitchen and Willow would ask Giles for help and instead of being angry, Giles might offer it. They'd call the coven in Devon and Willow would get her magic under control and learn how to use her powers better.

Stoney
14-11-18, 01:19 PM
I love this idea, what the characters themselves would wish to go back and stop/change. Saving loved ones is the obvious one to see people thinking of, and I'm certain they would. I like the idea of Buffy going to tell Angel about the curse and stop him losing his soul too, I agree that she'd think of that.

I think Willow would still do the resurrection because Buffy does get through her depression and is glad to be alive again, but the knock on effects from The First wouldn't be avoided so they might look to tackle that some other way, likely by stopping Buffy's death in the first place. I could see Giles perhaps going back and killing Ben earlier to try and make sure Buffy never had to jump. I think Spike would go back and kill the Doc to try to protect Dawn/Buffy from what happened. The whole time travel muddle might prove a problem there though. Does the person that goes back stay themselves or do they cut off all that came after the point they return to and revert to who they were once they've changed something? Time travel seriously makes my head hurt. Anyway, I think Spike'd be uncertain about doing it if it would mean going back to being who he was then and possibly stopping the sequence of events that led to him going for his soul. Like with Willow, he'd see that Buffy and Dawn are living and happy after a time and the cost of losing his soul would be an issue to him I think.

On that side, I think both Spike and Angel would consider stopping their own sirings and be very torn about it. It would be sacrificing who they became as vampires but I think they'd both be very willing to do that to save all the lives they took and so I do think they would both really weigh it up. The concern against doing that though would be the positives that they have done since, the apocalypses that they've been involved in preventing, and I do think that is a valid consideration to have for the greater good. I'm not sure which way either would go on it to be honest. I can see both going either way. It would certainly be something they'd think about though I reckon.

I think Faith would face up to the Deputy Mayor's death if she could go back and change something, but not necessarily manage to prevent herself doing it. It would have just been something else if not that.

I'd like to think that Giles would put Willow in touch with a coven in the early seasons and get her some support/guidance of how to avoid the dangerous side to abusing magic/power that he himself fell to. He should have just been far more in tune with what was steadily happening with Willow and helped her out in the early stages of exploring magic.

Oz would go back and step to one side when his cousin tried to bite him!

Willow from Buffy
15-11-18, 04:41 PM

I wonder though, wouldn't that be almost the same thing as erasing Tara's memory? Tara feels that she has a right to know all the things that Willow did to her and if Willow simply changes reality, so that what she did did not actually happen, then that just feels like a loophole.

Dipstick
15-11-18, 04:45 PM
I wonder though, wouldn't that be almost the same thing as erasing Tara's memory? Tara feels that she has a right to know all the things that Willow did to her and if Willow simply changes reality, so that what she did did not actually happen, then that just feels like a loophole.

Ha, we saw Tara's reaction to that very idea.

WILLOW: I, I'm sorry, okay?
TARA: It's not that easy.
WILLOW: Well, what do you want me to do? Reverse time and take it back? (small laugh) 'Cause I could probably-
Tara glares at Willow.
WILLOW: Joke. I don't think I could really-