PDA

View Full Version : Spuffy Post Season 12

Priceless
04-10-18, 06:45 PM
Is there a Spuffy after Season 12? Is this the end for them as a romantic couple? If the series were to continue, could they get back together? If not, why not?

I am hopeful that with all the years of build up, and the break up off screen, Buffy and Spike will get back together. Buffy said they broke up because they cannot live a quiet life together, well now she's joined the SFPD I doubt like will ever be quiet again. Spike is staying in SF and will probably continue his work as an adviser to the PD, so they'll be in contact in work. Buffy and Spike both agree they are better people when they are around each other, they still seem very loving and comfortable with each other. I have no doubt that if the series were to continue, they'd get back together.

MikeB
04-10-18, 07:38 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I maintain that post-Season 9 cannot be canon.

But nothing in post-Season 9 suggests Buffy/Spike won't be 'endgame' given both haven't 'moved on' since "Chosen" (B 7.22). And the biggest 'problem' with the couple is still that one is immortal and the other isn't.

The end of Season 12 has both Buffy and Spike having middle class jobs and finances are the only concern for Buffy in Season 9.

a thing of evil
04-10-18, 08:04 PM
No. No, they can't get back together. Why? Because I can't imagine why Spike would ever want to do that. In season nine Spike is done playing puppy dog to the slayer, right? Done being her dark place. In season ten his initial reaction to Buffy's sudden kissage is rather...lukewarm, to say the least. He is afraid that she will get bored and dump him. Well, guess what, she got bored and dumped him. So why try again? For some time now Spike hasn't been anywhere near pathetic enough to repeat this bullshit. It's, like, Spike wants the real thing - love, relationship, commitment and so on and Buffy's proven that she cannot give that to him. That's about it, really. That's why this relationship is done.

GoSpuffy
04-10-18, 08:32 PM
Didn't you hear Pricey? They're already back together so no worries. :lol:

Stoney
04-10-18, 09:01 PM
Well they definitely deliberately wrote in the implication that they might get back together amidst the open doors they gave at the end of the final season. I think it is a possibility still, more likely than not personally, but it wouldn't happen quickly. They somewhat, surprisingly some of us felt at the time, jumped in to giving it a go in S10 and then worked past some of their history afterwards. I think because of Spike's uncertainty about it then, it will take a different starting point between them for him to want to go there again now that it has fallen apart once. Buffy didn't break up with him because she had any fundamental issues with the relationship, in fact specifically was shown to realise that 'they' weren't the problem that had given her a sense of disquiet in her life but her own need to feel occupied constantly. There is then no reason why they couldn't return to being as happy as they'd felt at the end of S11 before uncertainties due to other factors set in. So I don't think what split them matters other than I don't think either of them would treat getting back together afterwards casually now. So I don't see any reason why it should be considered an impossibility, particularly with the level of affection and significance they were giving each other in an ongoing sense at the end. I do feel that Spike could do with becoming happier in himself too, to face his issues about still being a monster and decide whether or not it is something that he wants to address for himself outside of a relationship. Even though they could of course address any personal issues from within a relationship, the split can give him time to focus on 'him' the same as Buffy has felt she benefited from focusing just on herself too. Buffy is already making changes to her life which addresses what she has realised are her own issues. So yes, I'd say there is certainly scope that they could get back together and in fact both be in happier places individually, benefiting from being apart 'for a bit' as Spike identified.

Double Dutchess
04-10-18, 10:04 PM
Yes, they could get back together.

flow
04-10-18, 11:06 PM
Well, this is fiction, we are talking about and as long as JW does not decide to write it any further, anything can happen to them, because it only happens in our own imagination.

In my imagination I can clearly see them getting back together. In lots of different ways.

a Thing of evil:
It's, like, Spike wants the real thing - love, relationship, commitment and so on and Buffy's proven that she cannot give that to him.

That`s an interesting thought. I do think, she loves him, but the question is, can she do the commitment thing? And if she couldn`t in the past, is there a possibility, that she will get there someday?

flow

SpuffyGlitz
05-10-18, 02:02 AM
Subjective opinion here: I feel like the elephant in the room might be the question of whether Buffy eventually wants children or not in her future, and whether she "sees" Spike as human enough to work past that/ overlook that.
Or whether Spike will eventually turn human somehow. They've both got jobs (finances) worked out by this point, and have vowed to stay in each other's lives forever. I think it's clear that Buffy did the breaking up, Spike would be willing to wait for her. His still being immortal, and her possibly desiring children at some point in the future, are the only remaining hurdles I see -- because it started with Buffy talking about trying to find 'normal' and she didn't see any issues with their relationship, per se.

sandy_s
05-10-18, 02:38 AM
There are ways for them to have kids in a reasonable way in the verse. *says the fanfic author who wrote a really long story about it* ;)

And Angel had a kid!

GoSpuffy
05-10-18, 03:05 AM
There are ways for them to have kids in a reasonable way in the verse. *says the fanfic author who wrote a really long story about it* ;)

And Angel had a kid!

What story sandy? I've read several of yours so I'm wondering if I've read this one or if I should be searching for it.

Priceless
05-10-18, 04:31 AM

And Angel had a kid!

Totally agree. So many couples can't have kids because of medical issues or because they are same sex, it's a problem that can be solved. There is also adoption, which is vital, with so many children all over the world needing loving homes.

That`s an interesting thought. I do think, she loves him, but the question is, can she do the commitment thing? And if she couldn`t in the past, is there a possibility, that she will get there someday?

I don't think Buffy has commitment issues. She committed to every other relationship, even when she shouldn't. The only relationships she walked away from were Scott Hope (because Angel came back) and Owen (to save him from a life of horror). She committed to Spike in Season 11 and that's why it was so hard for be to believe she and Spike would split up a year later. It just seemed unbelievable.

Stoney
05-10-18, 05:13 AM
And they are making a long term commitment to be in each other's lives at the end of S12, just outside the relationship status, or seemingly so if you choose to ignore the hints they could head to reconcile. That's one of the reasons it is so easy to see them returning to being a couple for me, when they openly state they want to share their lives and Buffy has realised that what she wanted to change was something fundamentally external to the relationship they had.

What we miss out on understanding from not seeing the in between time is why Buffy (and possibly Spike too) may have thought it was ever 'them' in the first place. One can only assume that they had both been frustrated and bored by the lack of activity over the summer and perhaps had been short tempered with each other once or twice. Or from Spike's pov Buffy's disquiet just simply flared his insecurities of not being enough and that made him too accepting that they could be the problem for her (as we've discussed before Spike clearly doesn't want to try to push things on to Buffy with their relationship history). But one or both of them fearing it could be 'them' briefly is hardly a death knell to resound forevermore. As I've said before, people in times of crisis (often age triggered issues of dissatisfaction) can incorrectly project the feelings on to other areas of their life and assume other things are the cause of what they are feeling. Having fallen to this doesn't rule out realising it was a mistake that you want to correct. It's ridiculously harsh on both of them to see it as a firm line which can't be stepped back over, as if mistakes have to be punished by being irreversible. Within the course of the season they have the conversation where Spike refers to them being separated to work through things and makes some comment about being apart to do so 'for a bit'. Buffy doesn't correct him or try to reduce whatever hope he might be displaying there he has by saying that she doesn't think it is likely to be temporary. This could even have been part of their 'mutual' break up, that sense that it may only be something that holds for a time where they are going to focus on individual growth. Just because it seems ridiculous to me to feel it necessary to do such things outside the relationship, if Buffy had genuinely wondered whether a problem with them was part of it at first it makes sense. Nothing then changes that this was something that she came to realise wasn't the case. Spike's problem seems to be his insecurities, his lack of self-worth, and that was also something that it was openly acknowledged he was working on too.

As for the children issue, when Buffy was feeling the separation in S10 (Spike not able to go out in the sun with her for a jog and having a strange moment of not seeming eager to go on a dinner date with her) she saw a same-sex couple with a kid on her run I think. The visual seemed a deliberate suggestion that her inner thoughts would be acknowledging ways that they could work around such issues. I don't remember well enough what was said around the S9 abortion storyline, but Spike I think made it clear that he would support Buffy. So I don't think either of them would rule it out. However they would have to deal with any necessary aspects to hide/address Spike's undead status. :s

GoSpuffy
05-10-18, 05:21 AM
The end of S7 brought Angel back for "cookie dough" even though we had spent years following the development between Buffy and Spike. S12 did the same thing, clearly Buffy and Spike were in a relationship, they didn't want to down play or end it but they wanted an open interpretation available to those who needed something else. Weak scaredy cat storytelling at its worst, but we've seen that before.

sandy_s
05-10-18, 11:34 AM
What story sandy? I've read several of yours so I'm wondering if I've read this one or if I should be searching for it.

A Small Boat on the Ocean... I wrote it in the last year. :heart:

Spike and Buffy address all the concerns, including whether they want kids, the Connor thing, whether they should as a couple, Angel, and the world they will inevitably raise a child in... all with a couple of supernatural dramas thrown in.

ETA: but it’s not in comics verse. It’s them being together since the final episode of Angel the Series and they live in New Orleans.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree. So many couples can't have kids because of medical issues or because they are same sex, it's a problem that can be solved. There is also adoption, which is vital, with so many children all over the world needing loving homes.

I totally agree! There are loads of options even if not some sort of supernatural possibilities.