PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used to be on BW Forum?

Tommo808
30-07-18, 03:30 PM
Hey, it's Tom!

Nice to be on a Buffy forum once more...

I used to use the Buffyworld Forum in the early naughties, before it got shut down. Anyone on here who used to be there?

So I hear a new Buffy series is coming to town.... So I thought I'd reappear on the forums as my love for Buffy really never died! Still a walking Buffy A to Z :lol:

:wave::happydance:

Priceless
30-07-18, 03:35 PM
Hi Tom, great to have you here :wave: Hope you have fun here! :)

I wasn't on the Buffyworld Forum, but I bet some other members were.

Do you have a favourite character, season, episode?

Tommo808
30-07-18, 03:43 PM
Hello! Thank you!

Hard to pick one... My favourite character is Faith but got a lotta love for Tara (RIP)
Seasons 3 and 5 were the best for me, and episode would be Hush (same as most I guess)

Be good to see how much buffy knowledge I've retained :roll:

What about you?

Priceless
30-07-18, 04:00 PM
I guess my favourite season is 6, I love Buffy the character and it's far to difficult to just pick one favourite episode :D

Do you read the comics?

What do you think about having a new slayer?

When did you last do a re-watch? Maybe I should ask you some questions to test your knowledge (mine is terrible by the way :D)

Double Dutchess
30-07-18, 05:44 PM
Welcome Tom! I haven't been on the Buffyworld forum. I only came into fandom well after the show had ended, in 2008, and spent most of my time at the IDW forum until they lost the Angel license. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the reboot!

Lyri
30-07-18, 05:55 PM
I think I was on the old forum, but I never posted until it became BF, and even then, it was mostly because BF had a better artistic side than the other BtVS forums, lol.

Stoney
31-07-18, 12:28 AM
Hey Tom :D

I wasn't in fandom back then either. I watched for the first time after getting the DVDs for Xmas 2010 and then joined here the following year. So I'm oldish to BF but didn't watch when the show aired. A lot of the people who posted when I first joined aren't around any more. I'm not sure who is older around here, possible KingofCretins or Vampire in Rug??

Great that you've decided to reconnect with fandom and I'll look forward to seeing you around the threads. :biggrin1:

Ahm Shere
31-07-18, 01:10 AM
Hey Tom :)

I was on Buffyworld! I’ve only recently come back to BF as well. :lol:

Great that you found your way back :)

Francy
31-07-18, 06:50 AM
Hi Tom, welcome!!

I was on BW forum, and was a very active member there. It was very sad when it was shut down, but luckily this forum was created in its place! :)

vampmogs
31-07-18, 12:28 PM
Hi Tom. I was also on Buffyworld forum and moved over here when the site shut down! I reckon I joined it back in 2003/2004-ish :wave:

I've tried digging up old Buffyworld posts but the most I can see is screen-captures of the main forum page. I can even see my name on some posts dating back to, like, 2004, when I was fourteen, but sadly none of the actual threads have been saved. It would be so fun to go back and re-read posts from that long ago :( What name did you go by back then?

There's really only a few of us left who are still active from the Buffyworld days. Pretty much myself, KingofCretins, Francy and now Ahm Shere's back too. I think Sosa Lola may have been back on Buffyworld but I can't remember for sure. You'll still see the occasional old member pop up (NileQT87 posts very irregularly but I still see her posting Youtube comments for reaction vids and under the same name) but that's about it really! I wonder what other old faces will crop up with news of the reboot? :happydance:

DeepBlueJoy
31-07-18, 01:08 PM
Hey, it's Tom!

Nice to be on a Buffy forum once more...

I used to use the Buffyworld Forum in the early naughties, before it got shut down. Anyone on here who used to be there?

So I hear a new Buffy series is coming to town.... So I thought I'd reappear on the forums as my love for Buffy really never died! Still a walking Buffy A to Z :lol:

:wave::happydance:

Welcome!! I think I was on the Buffyworld site... not sure about forums. I first got into the fandom officially when the show went off the air and I was looking for continuations... several were on BW as I recall. never did manage to finish most of them. I think there was a series about Oz. I only got into forums after I started writing seriously, though I did dabble.

Hope you will enjoy it here and join our wonderful discussions! :o:mad3::nono::argue::yell::fryingpan::drinking::h ide::thumbup::tea::drinkup::celebration::magic::co uch2::vamp_tired:

flow
31-07-18, 06:20 PM
Hi Tommo,

I have only been in fandom for about one and a half years, so I definitely wasn`t on Buffyworld:-).

But I`d love to hear more about the history of fandom. When was Buffyworld closed? Does anybody know, why it was closed? Did all the members move to this place? Was this place something of a substitute for the old site?

I know, that the shooting-scripts were hosted at Buffyworld. This site does still exist. Does anyone know, where the shooting scripts came from?

Hope to see you around a lot ! And you too, Ahm Shere!

flow

Silver1
31-07-18, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I used to be a member of the previous forum too. :)

vampmogs
01-08-18, 02:08 PM
Hi Tommo,

I have only been in fandom for about one and a half years, so I definitely wasn`t on Buffyworld:-).

But I`d love to hear more about the history of fandom. When was Buffyworld closed? Does anybody know, why it was closed? Did all the members move to this place? Was this place something of a substitute for the old site?

I know, that the shooting-scripts were hosted at Buffyworld. This site does still exist. Does anyone know, where the shooting scripts came from?

Hope to see you around a lot ! And you too, Ahm Shere!

flow

Buffyworld used to be owned by a guy named Mark. Whilst Mark would leave the day-to-day running of the site to the site’s moderators, Mark was in charge of maintaining the technical side of things as well as the upkeep of the site’s transcripts and shooting scripts. To be honest, I’ve never known how Buffyworld managed to get its hands on the original Shooting Scripts, but it was pretty much the main site on the web that had them. Buffyworld also used to have screen caps of every episode so it would be frequently relied on by fan artists as well.

Towards the end of 2006/early 2007 the site began to have frequent technical issues. The forums would go offline for days at a time and this began to happen more frequently. One of the site’s moderators, Nikki, set up Buffyforums as a temporary site where fans could discuss the series whilst Buffyworld was down and also so that the community wouldn’t all lose each other. In approximately May 2007 Mark announced that the technical issues were becoming too much of a headache and that he was shutting down the forums permanently. The transcripts/shooting scripts/screen caps were to remain but that was it.

I’m sure we lost some members during the move, but almost everybody set up an account on Buffyforums and the community continued on here instead. For those of us who earned VIP status back on Buffyworld, we were granted it again on here, and we held fanart competitions for members to design new forum banners for the different ‘skins’ you could choose from. My greatest contribution to this was that a banner/avatar set I had requested to be made by an old member galathea for my own personal use was later tweaked a little to also say “Buffyforums” on it and that was eventually chosen as the banner for the default skin of the site. So, whilst I can’t create fan art to save my life, I feel a little proud that my banner became the default banner for the forums for some time :roll: It was a banner featuring a mesh up of the comic drawings of Buffy, Xander and Willow (from Season 8 covers of Issues #2, #3 and #5) with pics of the real life actors as well. I believe we had another competition to change the banners quite a few years later and those banners still remain as the options today

The forums used to be way more active back then. The fanfic, fanart and discussion sections were all incredibly active. The forums even used to host annual Buffyforums Awards where everybody would pick their favourite episodes/seasons/characters and the winners would be announced. The VIP chat threads all used to be very busy with it being very difficult to keep up with conversations as the chat moved very quickly as it was the only part of the forum where you were allowed to spam.

The comics did begin to create a divide throughout Season 8. A lot of original fans of the series weren’t interested in a comic continuation and didn’t consider it real and I think it played a big part in why they stopped participating in discussions about the show. This was when the comics were at the height of their popularity so discussions about S8 used to slip into other conversations as well, which I know alienated a lot of old fans from participating in them. As the years went on, a lot of fans moved on to different fandoms/interests.

We did have an influx of new fans thanks to the comics so discussion was still very frequent. It wasn’t until around Season 9 where people lost interest and this place became seriously dead. I was honestly expecting to find one day that the forums had simply shut down. It’s only become more active again since a lot of you newer members have joined which is great. It’ll never be as active as it was though, too many years have passed since the series ended and forums are outdated now. It’ll be interesting to see if the reboot brings many older faces back, though.

My first experience with fandom was on The Bronze chat forums. They were iconic chat forums where the writers, directors and even actors would sometimes hop online and interact with fans. It was the main base where Joss Whedon would speak directly with fans long before Whedonesque became where he’d communicate directly with fandom. They did sometimes cause controversy as sometimes writers would upset or offend certain factors of fandom at one time or another (and vice versa – there was an infamous incident where fans were horrible to Marc Blucas) but for the most part they were great. I remember spamming lyrics from OMWF in a sing-a-long and was amazed there were other fans out there who were as passionate and knowledgeable about the series as me. I had always read things about the show online and kept up with news about it but that was my first foray into actually discussing things with other fans. That must've been 2001-ish as OMWF had only recently aired. Here's (http://web.archive.org/web/19991012054302/http://buffy.com:80/slow/index_bronzepb.html) a screen capture from 1999 with fans posting random comments. One fan mentions the controversy surrounding Giles' behaviour in The Freshman, another mentions missing the Buffy/Angel relationship that season (we were in Season 4 at this point) and it's hilarious having fans call Season 3 the "later seasons" of the show :roll: Good times!

Livejournal used to also be very active back in its heyday. Whilst there were definitely a variety of fans on there, Spike/Spuffy fans used to make up the majority of fans on LJ. A lot of fans used to express the sentiment that they’d decided to post on LJ as opposed to forums as this was back when Spuffy used to be a lot more controversial in fandom and the shipper fights could get quite fanatical and ugly. There were fans who used to post on both LJ and on forums but there seemed to be a bit of rivalry or polarization between the two during the comics. The vast majority of fans on LJ disliked the comics but there were a small minority of fans on there who enjoyed them. This at times created arguments on LJ and various in-fighting but not too often.

Darkhorse and IDW forums were also very active. Darkhorse in particular used to be pretty infamous for how heated discussions got on there. It was well-known that the moderators on that site would almost never actually, ya know, moderate, so it was pretty much a free for all for fan wars/shipper fights etc. The two most prominent threads on there were the Bangel and Spuffy appreciation threads and fights would continuously break out between them. A lot of us on Buffyforums used to participate on Darkhorse forums as well. This placed used to be a lot more tightly moderated than it is now so a lot of arguments would get hashed out on Darkhorse forums instead. Darkhorse eventually closed down towards the end of Season 8/early Season 9. IDW were never quite as active but they were still quite active. Writers such as Brian Lynch used to post on there throughout Angel: After the Fall’s run which also caused it's own set of controversy at times as well. He would sometimes make jokingly sarcastic and passive aggressive comments towards fans who criticised the series, which made fans feel uncomfortable about posting on there as they felt they couldn't talk about the series candidly with the writer reading your every word (and commenting on what you had to say).

Slayalive was the go-to website for comics Q/As and was very popular back in Season 8 days. Buffyforums and Slayalive were the two main forums for fandom discussion. Slayalive didn’t have a no-spam rule so conversation was probably not as in-depth as on here.

Buffyboards has always existed but it's not somewhere I have ever posted on more than a handful of times. I honestly couldn't tell you their fandom history. I have no idea if it was created back when the show was still on the air or if it came later or not.

The screencaps eventually disappeared from Buffyworld and in the last couple of years the main page has also went down. You can still access the transcripts/shooting scripts, just not from the main page anymore. It'll be sad if/when the transcripts/shooting scripts are lost as well. They've always been a great resource. Someone should really archive them.

I hope that’s been of some interest to you. I’m sure other people here could share more stories as well. I do really miss the very old fandom days back when the show was still on or had just recently ended. Fans used to send each other VHS tapes of recordings of the episodes. It's so funny to think about now :roll: But I was really young back then so my memory and interactions with fandom would be very different to some other users who are older. They would have some really interesting stories to tell.

Klaus Kartoffel
01-08-18, 06:05 PM
It'll be sad if/when the transcripts/shooting scripts are lost as well. They've always been a great resource. Someone should really archive them.

I forever planned to save them on my hardrive but I keep forgetting it. Good to have the reminder before it's too late! Thanks for sharing some of your expierences. Must have been a wild time, the nostalgia is palpable. :)

The peaks of fandom were basically over when I learned they even existed (Or that something like "fandom" existed to begin with).

Silver1
01-08-18, 06:32 PM
Buffyboards has always existed but it's not somewhere I have ever posted on more than a handful of times. I honestly couldn't tell you their fandom history. I have no idea if it was created back when the show was still on the air or if it came later or not.

And you don't wanna know either imo. A board thats banned more people for silly reasons then any other place going imo. Their moderating policy is utterly surreal, right to this very day. :lol:

Writers such as Brian Lynch used to post on there throughout Angel: After the Fall’s run which also caused it's own set of controversy at times as well. He would sometimes make jokingly sarcastic and passive aggressive comments towards fans who criticised the series, which made fans feel uncomfortable about posting on there as they felt they couldn't talk about the series candidly with the writer reading your every word (and commenting on what you had to say).

As did Scott Allie of course, abet on a different fan board. He took the biscuit for sh*t stirring the fans imo. I'm soooo glad he was made to leave due to misconduct. Made my bloody year that did. :lol:

Ahm Shere
01-08-18, 08:23 PM

I was sure I had an account on Buffyboards, I went over there to see if I did, clearly, they must have deleted inactive members since they can't find my account. I'm just glad BF didn't delete me! :heart:

That whole post was very enjoyable however, the majority of it I can remember as if it was yesterday. I remember the whole issue with the forums going down all the time, and I was so upset about it because I was 16 and I actually had my life on Buffyworld, I had friends who I spoke to every day, I loved how busy it was and I enjoyed how much I could talk about Buffy without my friends looking down their nose at me. "Buffy?! You watch Buffy?" (Most of them now have seen/loved Buffy so jokes on them.)

I especially remember the Interative Fan Fiction section of Buffyworld, something that didn't seem to travel over to this forum I don't think, since it died in the last year or so of BW, where we would RP and there were some very talented writers.

Very fond memories, I'm glad this reboot has led me back here.

Francy
01-08-18, 09:02 PM
I miss the old days in which this forum was very active, I practically lived here, and it was so good to be part of the community. I miss the people I used to chat with daily. Unfortunately, but understandibly, most people have moved on (to other shows, fandoms, internet platforms, or simply to real life). To be fair, I have mostly moved on from Buffy too. I do a rewatch periodically, I still check the threads here and pay attention to the news (such as the reboot one), I always love the show and always will, but it's not as big a part of my life as it once was, not even remotely.

I also miss doing fanart... but since my old computer died several years ago, I wasn't able to get a hold of another copy of Photoshop, so I stopped altogether. Too bad. But I'll always be grateful for the patience of the people here who helped me get started with it, giving tips and suggestions. This community was really great, and I'll always remember my years on Buffyworld and Buffyforums fondly!!

It has been sad seeing the forum so dead in the last few years, sometimes there wasn't even one new post for days...I?m glad that recently things seem to have improved, with new members joining and partecipating, and with the traffic being more active. I hope it continues that way!!

Silver1
01-08-18, 10:01 PM
Out of interest what computer have you got and which running system?

Francy
01-08-18, 10:05 PM
Out of interest what computer have you got and which running system?

I have a Samsung laptop with Windows 7 which is probably on its last days, and a newer HP laptop with Windows 10!!

Ahm Shere
01-08-18, 10:17 PM
I also miss doing fanart... but since my old computer died several years ago, I wasn't able to get a hold of another copy of Photoshop, so I stopped altogether. Too bad. But I'll always be grateful for the patience of the people here who helped me get started with it, giving tips and suggestions. This community was really great, and I'll always remember my years on Buffyworld and Buffyforums fondly!!

Currently you can pay monthly for a photoshop subscription instead of buying it outright, which is nice because I'd never have been able to afford Photoshop any other way! I always loved your art though, so I hope you do eventually start doing fanart again. :)

Silver1
01-08-18, 10:20 PM
I have a Samsung laptop with Windows 7 which is probably on its last days, and a newer HP laptop with Windows 10!!

Let me see what I can find free photoshop wise online......:)

*eta* would CS2 run on your machine?

Francy
01-08-18, 10:28 PM
Let me see what I can find free photoshop wise online......:)

*eta* would CS2 run on your machine?

I have no idea... CS2 is the version I used to have, though!!

I never dared to download it again because I am paranoid and terrified of viruses/malware, so I am reluctant to click on anything and I only use the same sites that I trust. You don't go very far with that attitude!! LOL

Silver1
01-08-18, 11:11 PM
Thing is a few years ago Adobe accidentally let out the old photoshop downloads page before changing everything over to the cloud. Complete with free codes.

Loads of people including myself dived in and snagged the old software before Adobe cottoned on and hid the page. I still have the files backed up on some of my old drives. Even though I'm on a Mac i downloaded the windows version too, just in case I ever need them. I've already found the old zip files of the software, but I can't find the serial code sheet. Let me have a look and I'll get back to you.

Priceless
02-08-18, 07:27 AM
Please don't let my artistic attempts put you off, but I use Gimp, which is free and I've found it to be pretty good :D

I didn't know you can pay for photoshop monthly, so may still have a look at photoshop and see how much it is, though I don't know how much better than Gimp it is?

a thing of evil
02-08-18, 09:59 AM
GIMP is decent. Is it as good as PS? No, it's not but for home users/hobbyists it's a good enough baseline, I think. Of course, if you're a power user you can pimp the crap out of it with plugins, add-ons, scripts and whatnot. If you're coming from PS, just hit windows->single-window mode and you'll be fine. You might also want to try Paint.NET, it's not as powerful as GIMP but it's free, simple to use and snappy.

Silver1
02-08-18, 11:14 AM
Thing is I'm a Mac user, so software like that isn't made for the likes of us. At the moment I have my 'free' copy of old CS2 and a more modern version of Photoshop elements.

vampmogs
02-08-18, 12:56 PM
And you don't wanna know either imo. A board thats banned more people for silly reasons then any other place going imo. Their moderating policy is utterly surreal, right to this very day. :lol:

Yeah I have read a lot of negative comments about Buffyboards over the years. I do remember that one member used to be really hostile towards me the few times I did post. I got the impression that they didn't like new members joining, especially ones as opinionated as myself.

I could just never really warm up to Buffyboards. I appreciate the effort they went to when designing their site but I found it difficult to read sometimes. Too many pictures and colours. I had similar problems with Slayalive, to be honest. I have always liked Buffyforums as it's quite plain and easy to navigate/read. But I am extremely colour blind so colours tend to bleed together for me and can make it difficult for my eyes to adjust.

As did Scott Allie of course, abet on a different fan board. He took the biscuit for sh*t stirring the fans imo. I'm soooo glad he was made to leave due to misconduct. Made my bloody year that did. :lol:

Ah yes I forgot to mention the Scott Allie controversies. To be honest, nothing he ever said really bothered me because I didn't really give much weight to his opinions. But I was absolutely done with him after the sexual harassment allegations came out. Good riddance.

I especially remember the Interative Fan Fiction section of Buffyworld, something that didn't seem to travel over to this forum I don't think, since it died in the last year or so of BW, where we would RP and there were some very talented writers.

The fanfic sections used to be taken very seriously! I remember in my early days that I would submit fanfics to the 'Written' competition (I think that was it's name?) and the feedback was brutal. I remember one of the judges on the panel pretty much saying that my spelling and grammar was atrocious and that my story had no point and that if I ever submitted a story of that quality again I would be banned from entering any future competitions :lol: 15 year old me was crushed :lol:

Very fond memories, I'm glad this reboot has led me back here.

Glad to have you back. I hope some other familiar faces show up again :)

I miss the old days in which this forum was very active, I practically lived here, and it was so good to be part of the community. I miss the people I used to chat with daily. Unfortunately, but understandibly, most people have moved on (to other shows, fandoms, internet platforms, or simply to real life). To be fair, I have mostly moved on from Buffy too. I do a rewatch periodically, I still check the threads here and pay attention to the news (such as the reboot one), I always love the show and always will, but it's not as big a part of my life as it once was, not even remotely.

Yeah it kind of just crept up on you that everyone had vanished, huh? There's a lot of old timers that I'd love to hear from again. Blasterboy, tangent, Wolfie Gilmore, Karen, Cori, galathea, Llywea, Nikki, Thomas, enderswrath... and then of course the regular comic posters like Maggie, Emmie and Enisy (enisy liked some of my posts the other day so she was lurking!) Even Dipstick and Local_Max vanished over the last couple of years. Hopefully they're all well whatever they're doing.

It has been sad seeing the forum so dead in the last few years, sometimes there wasn't even one new post for days...I?m glad that recently things seem to have improved, with new members joining and partecipating, and with the traffic being more active. I hope it continues that way!!

I sometimes expect the site to close down. Nikki is still running the place and is presumably still paying for it as well. Do you have any idea how that all works? Does she have to pay for it every year or did she pay for a few years in advance? I'm not going to lie... sometimes I think the site will get shut down. I can't really blame her for not wanting to continue paying for a forum she doesn't even post on anymore :s

Ahm Shere
02-08-18, 01:08 PM
The fanfic sections used to be taken very seriously! I remember in my early days that I would submit fanfics to the 'Written' competition (I think that was it's name?) and the feedback was brutal. I remember one of the judges on the panel pretty much saying that my spelling and grammar was atrocious and that my story had no point and that if I ever submitted a story of that quality again I would be banned from entering any future competitions :lol: 15 year old me was crushed :lol:

I remember reading the fanfic sections and absolutely loving them to the point where I tried to write my own since I was such a regular poster in the roleplaying Interactive section, so I tried writing a crossover fanfic of Edward Cullen and Buffy getting together. I actually have no idea what I was thinking. :lol:

Glad to have you back. I hope some other familiar faces show up again :)

Thank you very much, it's good to be back. In some ways I feel like I never left. :lol:

Yeah it kind of just crept up on you that everyone had vanished, huh? There's a lot of old timers that I'd love to hear from again. Blasterboy, tangent, Wolfie Gilmore, Karen, Cori, galathea, Llywea, Nikki, Thomas, enderswrath... and then of course the regular comic posters like Maggie, Emmie and Enisy (enisy liked some of my posts the other day so she was lurking!) Even Dipstick and Local_Max vanished over the last couple of years. Hopefully they're all well whatever they're doing.

Before I left BF, I added a few of these on Facebook, it's always nice to see what they're posting and what they're up to, and whenever I do post anything Buffy related, it's nice to see that they do comment or like the posts. :)

Silver1
02-08-18, 01:15 PM
Yeah, for some time now I keep expecting to come here only to find It's gone for good, like so many other places before it.

Yeah I have read a lot of negative comments about Buffyboards over the years. I do remember that one member used to be really hostile towards me the few times I did post. I got the impression that they didn't like new members joining, especially ones as opinionated as myself.

I could just never really warm up to Buffyboards. I appreciate the effort they went to when designing their site but I found it difficult to read sometimes. Too many pictures and colours. I had similar problems with Slayalive, to be honest. I have always liked Buffyforums as it's quite plain and easy to navigate/read. But I am extremely colour blind so colours tend to bleed together for me and can make it difficult for my eyes to adjust

As someone who was part of the ever growing crowd of people to be banned form the place I don't have a good word to say about it, nor It's mods. I know many shippers feel they feel picked upon on certain boards and in fact they're just being a tad oversensitive, but by god this lot really do have a vendetta against certain ships/characters. The site owner and (from what I can work out) all the mods really dislike Spike/Spuffy as well as some other ships such as Cordy/Angel. An attitude I notice they still have to this day.

They say they don't, but you only need to spend a little time on there to see thats untrue BIG TIME! ;) I guess It's a bit easier these days considering most of the 'unclean' have been kicked off the place. :lol:

I honestly don't know why they just don't label themselves a Bangel board and be done with it. :lol:

Priceless
02-08-18, 01:31 PM

I could just never really warm up to Buffyboards. I appreciate the effort they went to when designing their site but I found it difficult to read sometimes. Too many pictures and colours. I had similar problems with Slayalive, to be honest. I have always liked Buffyforums as it's quite plain and easy to navigate/read. But I am extremely colour blind so colours tend to bleed together for me and can make it difficult for my eyes to adjust.

I was on BuffyBoards for a couple of years and mostly enjoyed my time there. The mods are always posting, so it never gets quiet and there is always something happening. I did find some of their members a bit difficult, one-note and set in their ways. I also found the site to be incredibly pro-Angel, anti-Spike, to the extent that some members would say some really defamatory things about JM and the mods very rarely stepped in. But then people I found to be quiet mild in their views would get banned for 'upsetting' the mods. Just a strange site, but if you toe the party line you'll have a good time there.

Priceless
02-08-18, 01:37 PM
Yeah, for some time now I keep expecting to come here only to find It's gone for good, like so many other places before it.

As someone who was part of the ever growing crowd of people to be banned form the place I don't have a good word to say about it, nor It's mods. I know many shippers feel they feel picked upon on certain boards and in fact they're just being a tad oversensitive, but by god this lot really do have a vendetta against certain ships/characters. The site owner and (from what I can work out) all the mods really dislike Spike/Spuffy as well as some other ships such as Cordy/Angel. An attitude I notice they still have to this day.

They say they don't, but you only need to spend a little time on there to see thats untrue BIG TIME! ;) I guess It's a bit easier these days considering most of the 'unclean' have been kicked off the place. :lol:

I honestly don't know why they just don't label themselves a Bangel board and be done with it. :lol:

This ^^^^ I always thought it should be called Bangel Boards. When I joined they had set up seperate sections were Spuffy and Bangel fans could post, and only the respective fans could post, so no haters. But then they changed the rules (I've never understood why) and then 'anyone can post, as long as they are respectful', well you can imagine how that worked out. It's a shame, because there are a lot of positives about that board, but they ruined it by being so anti other ships.

vampmogs
02-08-18, 01:39 PM

I was on BuffyBoards for a couple of years and mostly enjoyed my time there. The mods are always posting, so it never gets quiet and there is always something happening. I did find some of their members a bit difficult, one-note and set in their ways. I also found the site to be incredibly pro-Angel, anti-Spike, to the extent that some members would say some really defamatory things about JM and the mods very rarely stepped in. But then people I found to be quiet mild in their views would get banned for 'upsetting' the mods. Just a strange site, but if you toe the party line you'll have a good time there.

Bleh. I'll give it a hard pass. Mods have one job, and that's to make sure people are following the rules and to enforce the rules. They shouldn't be enforcing their own preferences on to people about characters/ships.

People need to realise that a variety of opinions makes things so much more interesting. It's actually one of the biggest things I miss about old fandom. Back when the show had just ended and a lot of fans were still discussing the show (before inevitably moving on) there was so much diversity amongst fandom. Obviously some ships/characters were more popular than others but you had such a range of interests amongst people. Nowadays that's really dropped off. For instance, you almost never come across Willow/Tara shippers anymore when that used to be HUGE in fandom when the show was first airing. I really miss that melting pot of different fans. I don't get why they'd want their site to just be an echo chamber of people agreeing with each other or of only Bangel/Angel fans etc.

Silver1
02-08-18, 02:04 PM
ReWillow/Tara, oh dunno. I'm on Tumblr a lot and see an awful lot of art etc based on that pairing. In fact I go as far to say It's the most popular ship on that place.

vampmogs
02-08-18, 02:06 PM
Oh that could be true. I have never really went on Tumblr much at all so I don't really know what's going on there. I guess I should probably take a look at some point seeing as how it's where most new fans probably frequent now!

SpuffyGlitz
02-08-18, 02:26 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with what everyone's posted. And this forum is wonderful :heart: I just really hope it never closes down *fingers crossed*

flow
02-08-18, 02:49 PM
vampmogs
I sometimes expect the site to close down. Nikki is still running the place and is presumably still paying for it as well. Do you have any idea how that all works? Does she have to pay for it every year or did she pay for a few years in advance? I'm not going to lie... sometimes I think the site will get shut down. I can't really blame her for not wanting to continue paying for a forum she doesn't even post on anymore

That`s what I fear as well. That I will come here one day and the site is closed. Gone forever. I just hope, that Nikki or whoever is in charge nowadays will talk to us before it happens.

There is a donate button on the entrance site to this forum. I don`t even know, if it stills works. But I am honest - if money is an issue, I am ready and willing to donate. That`s why a notice befpre closing the site would be very much appreciated :heart:.

Thank you so much vampmogs for your detailed post about the history of fandom. To someone like me who is so new to fandom it is really interesting to read abpout how it all started. It must have been cool to be able to even talk to writers or JW on certain sites.

flow

grace
02-08-18, 03:02 PM
This ^^^^ I always thought it should be called Bangel Boards.

I don't care if people criticize Buffy-Boards. I have my own problems with the place. But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

Also, I find the "echo chamber" comments a little silly, given how few Bangel-positive people post here. (And the few who do barely touch those arguments.)

Priceless
02-08-18, 03:27 PM
I don't care if people criticize Buffy-Boards. I have my own problems with the place. But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

Also, I find the "echo chamber" comments a little silly, given how few Bangel-positive people post here. (And the few who do barely touch those arguments.)

As a Spuffy shipper, I found BB a difficult place to be once the safe-space was taken away. Prior to that, I enjoyed being on BB and had some good fun there, even though the majority of posters were Bangel and/or Angel fans. I also found the majority of the Mods were Bangel shippers, and I think the Mods mould the board into what they want it to be and it will always reflect the views of the people with the power.

I would encourage everyone to post here, no matter what their shipping views, that's what makes a site interesting and informative, lots of different voices. It just felt on BB that the Spuffy voices were not wanted and certainly not encouraged.

Mrs Gordo
02-08-18, 03:40 PM
This is funny because I always jokingly call this place Spuffy Forums! :)

Priceless
02-08-18, 03:46 PM
This is funny because I always jokingly call this place Spuffy Forums! :)

Then post more Bangelly stuff, that's the only way to world domination :lol: Said with affection :hug:

And here you can set up your own community with your own Mod who can regulate who posts, so even if the main board turns anti, there is always a safe space.

Silver1
02-08-18, 04:31 PM
Yes, over here you can at least set up a thread and not get bombarded by the mods with nit picking attempts to get you banned. :lol:

betta
02-08-18, 04:37 PM

At that place, Spuffy and Spike fans were (and I suppose they still are) offended quite frequently by haters without any consequence.

But all that was about a show, and fictional characters; when an actor - James Marsters - is accused of being a pedophile (of adopting his niece to molest her), and NOTHING is done about it (on the contrary: the one who was banned was the person who spoke up), it's time to leave.

But God forbid someone opening a thread about SMG's growing nose there.

Priceless
02-08-18, 04:37 PM
Yes, over here you can at least set up a thread and not get bombarded by the mods with nit picking attempts to get you banned. :lol:

I feel there is a story behind this? :D

betta
02-08-18, 04:58 PM

It was lame and ridiculous and unfair. I was there back then; and I apologize for not having said anything, Silver1.

Silver1
02-08-18, 07:14 PM
Thats fine love. :) I'm amazed that reading their forum they're still trying to pull that crap. :lol:

There used to be a particularly hateful mod (who eventually left after this incident) who sent me personal and insulting messages that let nothing to the imagination. I reported him of course and nothing was done. I didn't even get an apology from either the board owner or the mod involved. On one of my old hard drives I've still got the screen shots I took of this stuff, as I knew they wouldn't believe me.

Horrible, horrible people.

Priceless
02-08-18, 07:19 PM
Thats fine love. :) I'm amazed that reading their forum they're still trying to pull that crap. :lol:

There used to be a particularly hateful mod (who eventually left after this incident) who sent me personal and insulting messages that let nothing to the imagination. I reported him of course and nothing was done. I didn't even get an apology from either the board owner or the mod involved. On one of my old hard drives I've still got the screen shots I took of this stuff, as I knew they wouldn't believe me.

Horrible, horrible people.

I'm sorry to hear this Silver1. I think it must be a power thing, even a tiny amount of power can go to some people's heads and they go a bit crazy.

Silver1
02-08-18, 07:31 PM
Well with this guy that was definitely the case. ;)

Double Dutchess
02-08-18, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the history lesson, vampmogs!

For the first part of my time in fandom I was only active on the IDW forum (and later on BuffyTube) but I did lurk everywhere else, so I recognize a lot of what you're saying.

IDW were never quite as active but they were still quite active. Writers such as Brian Lynch used to post on there throughout Angel: After the Fallís run which also caused it's own set of controversy at times as well. He would sometimes make jokingly sarcastic and passive aggressive comments towards fans who criticised the series, which made fans feel uncomfortable about posting on there as they felt they couldn't talk about the series candidly with the writer reading your every word (and commenting on what you had to say).

I only joined the IDW forum after AtF was finished, but Brian Lynch as well as editors Chris Ryall and Mariah Huehner still occasionally posted there. AtF and Brian Lynch's Spike comics are my favourite Buffyverse comics, so I enjoyed him coming on the forum, but I do remember Mariah Huehner chewing me out once for saying the art on the Spike series (by the artist replacing Franco Urru) was bad. I was supposed to have said it was not my cup of tea or something, to be less offensive. I guess she had a point, but given that the artist in question managed to make Drusilla look like Mae West (and that's a polite comparison) to be honest I still stand by my original opinion. Anyway, I sometimes still miss that old forum and its people (though a few of them like Silver1 are still around, here or in other places).

KingofCretins
02-08-18, 09:20 PM
I was on Buffyworld. Mogs and myself might be two of the latest joint members before the switch happened that still post around here? It's been a minute.

betta
02-08-18, 09:27 PM

Wow, it was so much worse than I was aware. :eek:

KingofCretins
02-08-18, 09:38 PM
I didn't know there was a donate button these days, I come straight to the forum. Used to be Nikki would just let VIP know a few weeks out about the hosting bill and people would contribute as they are able. That explains why it has been a few years since I have seen that happen :/ Would be a pleasure to put some more to the cause.

Francy
02-08-18, 10:53 PM

I'm friends with a few of them on FB. They are all well, busy with real life mostly, from what I can tell from their posts!!

I sometimes expect the site to close down. Nikki is still running the place and is presumably still paying for it as well. Do you have any idea how that all works? Does she have to pay for it every year or did she pay for a few years in advance? I'm not going to lie... sometimes I think the site will get shut down. I can't really blame her for not wanting to continue paying for a forum she doesn't even post on anymore :s

I think Nikki isn't involved with the forum anymore, she just didn't have the time/energy for it anymore. I think Ehlwyen is in charge now, but I haven't seen her post in a long time.

Priceless
02-08-18, 10:55 PM
I don't know what I'd do if this site closed. I'm too old to learn how to use Tumblr :D

KingofCretins
02-08-18, 11:16 PM
I'm friends with a few of them on FB. They are all well, busy with real life mostly, from what I can tell from their posts!!

Tell any or all of them KoC says hi plz.

GoSpuffy
02-08-18, 11:21 PM
I was witness to the pedophile comment. I should have left then but instead I just blocked a ton of offensive posters. Should have been all I needed to leave. It did force me into the safety of the back steps posting area until the rule change came. Imagine my surprise when I got kicked off the boards. The mods there are insane. They kicked me off for being "rude". Me. A 50 year old girl guide leader from Canada. Hahaha. I defy anyone to go on that board and find a reason why my account would be frozen.

Stoney
03-08-18, 12:25 AM
I know Ehlwyen had hoped to get more time for the board but I don't know that anything has changed. I'd definitely put in time/finances to help keep this place going. There's always the worry about asking the question prompting the decision to draw a line rather than inject more time/energy. :s

betta
03-08-18, 01:20 AM
It wasnít until around Season 9 where people lost interest and this place became seriously dead. I was honestly expecting to find one day that the forums had simply shut down. Itís only become more active again since a lot of you newer members have joined which is great.

And the resurrection happened because of Priceless, who, in the beginning of this year, started posting a lot of threads, which incentivated people to join, return or be more active on the forum!

GoSpuffy
03-08-18, 01:36 AM
Credit to STONEY too, who led a bunch of disgruntled, banned and cast away posters to the promised land of a forum for all ships where the people are so well mannered they don't even need mods.

KingofCretins
03-08-18, 02:07 AM
If the new show truly does settle on sequel/continuation AND isn't rubbish, it will reinvigorate the board like S8 did originally (by 2007 most of the big TV arguments had been had a billion times, although I could still stand to go another 50 pages or so explaining to Patxshand why Angel's plan in 'Not Fade Away' was stupid :)

Priceless
03-08-18, 08:06 AM
And the resurrection happened because of Priceless, who, in the beginning of this year, started posting a lot of threads, which incentivated people to join, return or be more active on the forum!

Thank you for the mention :redshy: It was definitely a joint effort, with everyone on the board really participating, including yourself betta. If everyone started one thread a day, the place would be rocking :lol:

bespangled
04-08-18, 05:23 AM
I found LJ about ten years ago. I knew about fandom because I was in the ST-TOS fandom when it invented television fandom. Without the internet they organized a mail campaign against the first cancellation, and the network reversed their decision. I was still a kid so I didn't do much. But I knew enough to look for a fandom, and some of my very favorite fanfic authors were there. I was so starstruck. This fandom has the best fanfic authors. Oh, and there are many ships - tumblr atleast has a lot of Faith/Buffy. Spander is still healthy though Spangel is drooping (sob). There's a lot of new ships out there too.

I was kicked off because I blew up at a poster who actually said that JM adopted his niece in order to molest her. They were not even warned. I'd actually tried to befriend this person, and later they bragged on the forum about how they suckered me in and trolled me. They like to post accusation that JM and Joss were intent on raping SMG - that she was constantly molested on set. Oh, and that Spike anally raped Buffy in the balcony scene. The trolling worked...once they moved on to defaming JM I didn't hold back

I was booted because one of the mods did not like me and she decided she wanted me out of there. This was confirmed by another mod who I remained friendly with for a bit. When I came on there was a mod who used to shout and curse Spike fans in his posts. I had been a mod on a political board before politics became this toxic, so I talked to the BB mods and they stripped him of his role after a few more outbursts. I was blamed for that from the start.

That board has at least one person who likes to post crap about Spike, Spuffy, and most of all Spike fans. There were other who joined in. Spike fans were regularly attacked - as a group - and none of the mods objected. He and I argued - we even had a session with the mods because he kept going off on me. But he was an old poster and a friend of the mods. Throughout this whole process even the mods would explain to me that Spike fans were impossible. It was bizarre. Of course no one knew what to do with me since I ship Spangel.

I assume this was all held against me. Then they had an April Fools joke that they were no longer going to allow any Spuffy posts. People who believed it and got upset were punished for not showing loyalty to the board. The sad thing is that I like a lot of people, and had fun there - but the place just started diving downhill. Silver1 was banned for not having the right computer, and I objected. And then the JM accusation and my refusal to apologize. It wsn't worth staying. Too bad - I really like some people there!

There is no behavior like that here - that's the main difference I find. There are no personal attacks, attacks on groups of fans, and no flaming people. I would love to have more Bangel fans here - it's a safe place to share. I am probably the only Spangel shipper here but I know others who do not ship Spuffy. It's a pretty broad population. We self impose a certain standard and live by it - dest board I have ever been on.

Don't forget yourself and SosLola who kept pushing us tumblr folks here - slippery slope to a great place.

Priceless
04-08-18, 07:40 AM
I was kicked off because I blew up at a poster who actually said that JM adopted his niece in order to molest her. They were not even warned. I'd actually tried to befriend this person, and later they bragged on the forum about how they suckered me in and trolled me. They like to post accusation that JM and Joss were intent on raping SMG - that she was constantly molested on set. Oh, and that Spike anally raped Buffy in the balcony scene. The trolling worked...once they moved on to defaming JM I didn't hold back

I remember this happening, I'd only recently joined the board and was quite shocked. Especially that he Mods did nothing to warn that poster. I can testify that that particular poster is still on BB and posting the same sort of accusations, or was upto when I left last year. I personally think that they are ill, as they are quite obsessed by the same thoughts, almost fixated on them. But being ill doesn't preclude you also being an *******.

Silver1
04-08-18, 07:45 AM
Oh god that brings it allllllllllll back. :lol:

The gag the mods liked to do the most (and still do apprantly) is leap into a fairly civil debate and announce so and so (somebody they're gunning for) is being rude to the other party and warn them over basically nothing. They will then keep tabs on you and dive into nearly every post picking up on the slightest thing (and by god I do mean slight) until they declare 'you've gone too far' and ban you. Funny how 9 outta 10 times it was Spike fans. I know that all sounds petty, but unless you've lived it you don't know how depressing an atmosphere that rapidly creates.

Gotta say the board owner alone is poison imo.

Silver1
04-08-18, 07:49 AM
I can testify that that particular poster is still on BB and posting the same sort of accusations, or was upto when I left last year.

No that idiot is sadly still there posting garbage. It's no exaggeration to say they come across as being unnaturally fixated and appear to have 'issues' shall we say.

Priceless
04-08-18, 07:52 AM
No that idiot is sadly still there posting garbage. It's no exaggeration to say they come across as being unnaturally fixated and appear to have 'issues' shall we say.

In a way it's good that BB give him a home to vent his feelings, or he could he here, which no-one wants :D

Silver1
04-08-18, 08:05 AM
No but at least people here would be able to tell him what they really thought of their nonsense, without a mod banning them. :lol:

flow
04-08-18, 08:31 AM
grace
But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

That is actually true. I never felt we had shipper wars over there. It wasn`t Bangels against Spuffies. There were a lot of Bangels on the board and probably are still but they were mostly about loving their ship not about hating something else.

The people who spilled venom on the other board were almost all either non-shippers or they shipped different ships. But they did not focus on what they love about the show but on what they hate about the show. And that was always Spike, Spuffy and sesaons 6 and seven. Bangel was always off-limits. That made the board look so much more Bangel-friendly.

flow

betta
04-08-18, 05:06 PM
The people who spilled venom on the other board were almost all either non-shippers or they shipped different ships.

That's true, but if the Bangels agree with them, giving them so much love and approbation...

But they did not focus on what they love about the show but on what they hate about the show. And that was always Spike, Spuffy and sesaons 6 and seven. Bangel was always off-limits. That made the board look so much more Bangel-friendly.

flow

That's the biggest problem: the unfair treatment (I mean, haters are the biggest problem, but if they were dealt satisfactorily...)

People are allowed to say the most despicable things about Spuffy and Spike; they can even offend fans freely: you have silly opinions (that was said to me, and it wasn't the worst), what you are saying is ridiculous (two posters ganged up on a Spike fan, belittling her opinion), I have morals (meaning, and you don't), your writing is terrible no matter if your mother language isn't English (this didn't happen to me but to someone else who had difficulty with their text), JM is a pervert (I wonder if it would be OK to talk about David Boreanaz's real harassment accusations or the fact he is a cheating husband) etc. And try to say something just not nice about Bangel - You don't need to bash other ships to make yours look better!!! - or dare to defend your ship, or yourself: You are a bully! :lol: