PDA

View Full Version : Fancasting for the Reboot

flow
22-07-18, 03:07 PM
Okay, assuming the reboot will have not only a Buffy but also a Willow, a Xander, a Giles etc. - who would you cast ? Doesn`t matter, if it is a major or a minor character. Just go ahead!

This is my suggestion for -- guess who:

https://i.imgur.com/YIs2LSH.jpg

Okay, just kidding :lol:

But what do you think about him becoming the new Spike?

https://i.imgur.com/C4ZVgbX.jpg

flow

Priceless
22-07-18, 03:50 PM
Amandla Stenberg, age 19 from LA, and she writes comic books

https://www.pride.com/sites/www.pride.com/files/2016/01/08/amandla-stenberg-2.jpg

For the role of Buffy of course

- - - Updated - - -

If this new Buffy is a reboot and they begin the series the same way they began the first, we may never get a Spike. I'm almost certain we'll never get a Spuffy as the new Angel will stick around. Or we'll get a love-triangle, which will just be dull so I hope it doesn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so he's young at 32, but I love Rahul Kohli on izombie. He's incredibly funny, honest and open on social media, and he's a Brit from London, so for Giles . . .

https://images5.alphacoders.com/819/819430.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be happy for him to be Spike too, if the audition for Giles doesn't pan out :lol:

a thing of evil
22-07-18, 03:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ewFeJw4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bsNvXej.jpg

Katherine Mcnamara as Willow.

Priceless
22-07-18, 04:22 PM
flow that guy you're suggesting for the new Spike looks pretty dull - I'd rather see someone quirky in the role. Who is he?

- - - Updated - - -

China Anne McClain, she's currently in Black Lightning and is good in that, so she may not want to leave it for Buffy. She's American, 19 years old.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actress-china-anne-mcclain-from-cws-black-lightning-poses-for-a-picture-id821582156?s=612x612

- - - Updated - - -

Spike - Frank Dillane, British, 27 years old, sexy and quirky

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Frank+Dillane+2015+Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+4+mHmAT-5bnT4l.jpg

KingofCretins
22-07-18, 04:54 PM
I'm not gonna do pictures because I"m lazy, I may edit some in later --

Buffy -- Madison Pettis
Willow -- Holly Taylor
Xander -- Chandler Riggs
Giles -- (rule 63, reconceived) Bree Turner
Angel -- Tyler James Williams
Spike -- Austin Abrams
Cordelia -- Coco Jones
Joyce -- (rule 63, reconceived) Russell Hornsby

Priceless
22-07-18, 05:12 PM
Well Andrew Lincoln is leaving TWD, so how about him as Giles. Or how about James Marsters? God I would love that so much :heart: :lol:

flow
22-07-18, 05:31 PM
Priceless.
flow that guy you're suggesting for the new Spike looks pretty dull - I'd rather see someone quirky in the role. Who is he?

Itīs David Berry an Australian actor who played Lord John Grey in Outlander

flow

Silver1
22-07-18, 06:18 PM
I googled him and he looks far, far too young, even for William. :lol: Young and yeah, rather bland looking.

- - - Updated - - -

The only actor that sprung to mind for (of all things Drusilla) is Angela Sarafyan, who was last seen playing Clementine in Westworld.

https://s33.postimg.cc/67g3vxhyn/hbz-angela-sarafyan-3-1529275558.jpg

https://s33.postimg.cc/ub6vkadb3/Angela_Sarafyan_as_Clementine_Pennyfeather_002.jpg

Priceless
22-07-18, 06:58 PM
The only actor that sprung to mind for (of all things Drusilla) is Angela Sarafyan, who was last seen playing Clementine in Westworld.

I think she'd be great, but she looks too much like Dru and I think that would distract the audience. I'd rather see actors who looked different from the originals

Silver1
22-07-18, 07:17 PM
OOOh I wouldn't. :D If an idea ain't broke don't fix it. :lol:

bespangled
22-07-18, 11:53 PM
I'd kinda like to see a cast that is made up of more normal looking people. Thus far I haven't been able to figure out a way to get pictures that have valid files (odd when i can post videos) so I can't chime in.

I know that there are pictures of actors like Amber Benson which show how gorgeous she is - but Tara wasn't gorgeous. Are there any actors out there who look real?

TimeTravellingBunny
23-07-18, 12:22 AM
First of all, what makes you think that the new characters will be exactly the same as the old ones?
Why would Willow be a white redhead, for instance? It would be more fun and better to make the new characters very different, to avoid comparisons with the original ones.
To everyone saying "we will not get a Spike because Angel will stick around" - remember that Angel wasn't guaranteed to stick around, either, it was just because people liked Buffy and Angel together.
They could just pay homages to the original characters - say, Buffy's love interest is called William and his nickname is Angel, just to cover all the bases. :D He could be a mix of Angel and Spike in terms of personality, but not exactly like either.

I'm not gonna do pictures because I"m lazy, I may edit some in later --

Buffy -- Madison Pettis
Willow -- Holly Taylor
Xander -- Chandler Riggs
Giles -- (rule 63, reconceived) Bree Turner
Angel -- Tyler James Williams
Spike -- Austin Abrams
Cordelia -- Coco Jones
Joyce -- (rule 63, reconceived) Russell Hornsby
I don't know who half of these people are, but out of those I know, Holly Taylor is the only one that makes sense (but only if Willow were to look like the original Willow).
Austin Abrams? That kid (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/persons/600993/600993_v9_bb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://google.com/search?tbm%3Disch%26q%3DAustin%2520Abrams&h=1440&w=1080&tbnid=MfQ1G6f8iz4pLM:&q=Austin+Abrams&tbnh=186&tbnw=139&usg=__e40G74EAPBgTuisMyD2j-9OR6eM%3D&vet=10ahUKEwi2xIrG67PcAhWthaYKHeKHBisQ_B0IkQEwCg.. i&docid=ELEU_NRnF0HGaM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2xIrG67PcAhWthaYKHeKHBisQ_B0IkQEwCg) from The Walking Dead and The Americans? :blink: :o :o :err: Please tell me you were joking. That's just wrong in every possible way.

Chandler Riggs aka Carl Grimes is also, out of teenage male actors, just about the last person I'd think of for Xander, going by what I've seen on TWD.

And I looked up the guy you put for Angel, so just based on his photos... Err, no. I'm pretty sure Angel is supposed to be attractive. Could you have possibly fancast more dorky looking guys as Angel and Spike?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd kinda like to see a cast that is made up of more normal looking people. Thus far I haven't been able to figure out a way to get pictures that have valid files (odd when i can post videos) so I can't chime in.

I know that there are pictures of actors like Amber Benson which show how gorgeous she is - but Tara wasn't gorgeous. Are there any actors out there who look real?

What makes you think that gorgeous people are not real? There's plenty of gorgeous people in real life, they do not drop out of the sky. It's not like anyone who isn't a Hollywood star or a model is plain.
Whether Amber or others are gorgeous or not is also a matter of taste.

a thing of evil
23-07-18, 12:40 AM
but Tara wasn't gorgeous

Tara was gorgeous. Source: My dick.

ghoststar
23-07-18, 01:12 AM

As you noted WRT Amber Benson, a lot of attractiveness has to do with the movie magic. I think that naturally-attractive people or average-looking people would be fine for a lot of the roles, but I do think they need to avoid making them unnaturally glamorous when it doesn’t make sense. In other words: No more characters waking up with perfect eyeshadow!

KingofCretins
23-07-18, 01:16 AM
Believe it or not, I wasn't principally casting around sex appeal for the male or female characters :) But I do think everyone on the list is attractive. Austin Abrams did pretty well playing the slow burning revenge plot in Season 6A of TWD, and I've heard good things about Paper Houses. I also liked the idea of having the vampire love interests (btw, speaking of things to 86 structure wise from a reboot :)) as being racially diverse as well, in the spirit of the endeavour. And Tyler James Williams has the same "can do funny awkward but also deadly serious" quality I've always enjoyed about Orlando Jones. As for Chandler Riggs, I'm casting around S1-S2 Xander when the character was taken a bit more seriously in the fights-against-evil component of the show and pre-buttmonkey. I actually tried to avoid him since already leaning on TWD a bit and he was a principal there, but I was not coming up with anyone who was actually in the non-Dawson target window of 18-22. Only one of them older is Tyler James Williams, because Angel being visibly older I thought suited the character.

I also really liked the idea of flipping the Slayer-mentor role to a woman and Buffy's single parent from a mother to a father, so I raided one of the Buffyverse's tonal and genre descendants, "Grimm", for both.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically.

bespangled
23-07-18, 01:21 AM
What makes you think that gorgeous people are not real? There's plenty of gorgeous people in real life, they do not drop out of the sky. It's not like anyone who isn't a Hollywood star or a model is plain.
Whether Amber or others are gorgeous or not is also a matter of taste.

There are gorgeous people out there. I don't know how many are in your social circle but the people i know are more average - attractive people who don't fit the Hollywood mold. I find that this constant paean to beauty has a price in girls and women seeing themselves as lesser. Have a powerful chunky slayer. Give characters some physical attributes that break the mold, and let them be powerful people who own their sexuality like Sookie. Teen dramas tend to be about people who are unrealistically gorgeous - and that gets so old. Runaways breaks that mold a bit as did Misfits, and Freaks and Geeks.

Overall I think that Buffy did a decent job of toning down the looks of some actors. I point out Tara because AB is simply breath taking, IMO. Tara was approachable as well as attractive, and I could relate to her. AH ad NB are also gorgeous in their publicity stills, but they look normal in the show. Just compare the overall look of Buffy against the Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars and I think you'll see what I mean. I just want a cast of people I can relate to - people that ordinary teens can see and not feel distanced and kinda homely. I want a kid who hates their nose or eyes, or someone who gets zits. That's real, but it doesn't work on super model types.

I also want a single strong older woman. Buffy wisdom came from men. Anya, who could have been that wise woman, was relegated to being a sex joke. A female slayer should have at least one female mentor, access to women's wisdom.

Tara was beautiful in so many ways - source: my heart and mind.

TimeTravellingBunny
23-07-18, 03:56 AM
Believe it or not, I wasn't principally casting around sex appeal for the male or female characters :) But I do think everyone on the list is attractive. Austin Abrams did pretty well playing the slow burning revenge plot in Season 6A of TWD, and I've heard good things about Paper Houses. I also liked the idea of having the vampire love interests (btw, speaking of things to 86 structure wise from a reboot :)) as being racially diverse as well, in the spirit of the endeavour. And Tyler James Williams has the same "can do funny awkward but also deadly serious" quality I've always enjoyed about Orlando Jones. As for Chandler Riggs, I'm casting around S1-S2 Xander when the character was taken a bit more seriously in the fights-against-evil component of the show and pre-buttmonkey. I actually tried to avoid him since already leaning on TWD a bit and he was a principal there, but I was not coming up with anyone who was actually in the non-Dawson target window of 18-22. Only one of them older is Tyler James Williams, because Angel being visibly older I thought suited the character.

I also really liked the idea of flipping the Slayer-mentor role to a woman and Buffy's single parent from a mother to a father, so I raided one of the Buffyverse's tonal and genre descendants, "Grimm", for both.

Xander was always a character who used more quips and humor than anyone else, that's his trademark, and not every actor can deliver quips and humorous lines well. And I haven't seen anything at all by Riggs that would make me think he can.

Sex appeal is pretty damn important for Angel and Spike. And while I don't know Tyler James Williams except for his photos I googled, Austin Abrams hasn't shown he has any of the charisma that Spike is particularly known for. Of the two characters I've seen him play, one was pretty annoying to most people, and the other was an innocent and naive but not super interesting kid. I don't know what you possibly saw in him that screams "Spike".

Anyway, it's all a moot point since I don't think we'll be seeing the same characters anyway. I most definitely don't want two vampire love interests from the start or at the same time. The "vampire love triangle" thing has been done to death on TVD and TB, and unfortunately, now in Buffy comics as well - and it needs to die a fiery death. Buffy had just one love interest at any given time anyway (except for the 10 minutes in two last episodes, when Joss and co. decided to try to service two sets of shippers at the same time), and I hope that whoever is her new love interest is either some combination of Angel and Spike, or different from either.

- - - Updated - - -

There are gorgeous people out there. I don't know how many are in your social circle but the people i know are more average - attractive people who don't fit the Hollywood mold. I find that this constant paean to beauty has a price in girls and women seeing themselves as lesser. Have a powerful chunky slayer. Give characters some physical attributes that break the mold, and let them be powerful people who own their sexuality like Sookie. Teen dramas tend to be about people who are unrealistically gorgeous - and that gets so old. Runaways breaks that mold a bit as did Misfits, and Freaks and Geeks.
I think that there should be a mix of people who look different from each other - body types, sizes, looks. Beautiful people on TV are not unrealistic since there are beautiful people in real life, but every single person being beautiful - that is, indeed, unrealistic and happens only in the TV land. It's always funny when characters who are supposed to be plain or unattractive are actually gorgeous.

bespangled
23-07-18, 04:03 AM
I want another Jew! Unless you are Jewish you have no idea how wonderful it was to have representation by a character who is not a Jew-joke or a stereotype. It would be kind of cool if she was Sephardi instead of Ashkenazim.

ghoststar
23-07-18, 09:24 PM
Assuming that Sunnydale is still the setting, I'd like to see a population that appears to have been in demographic stasis for a long time. I think that the town's weirdness/isolation makes much more sense if you consider that the locals have been bent on keeping its secrets for several generations.

Of course, there are a few different ways you could show that. Sunnydale, or its equivalent, could be a holdout of the californios, the Hispanic inhabitants who were already living in California when it joined the U.S. (and who, in areas where the real estate was worth anything, were treated very badly, despite having asked to be American). It could be be a former mining boomtown, populated by the descendants of people who decided to stay for the Hellmouth energy when the ore ran out. This mixture would likely be heavy on Slavic and northern Mediterranean peoples, Chileans, Irish, and maybe Chinese, depending on when the boom happened (since, during the first few years of statehood, Chinese immigrants were overwhelmingly male, and therefore not likely to leave many descendants). Probably not a lot of black ancestry, given that few freed slaves could afford to travel so far. Whether or not Native Americans made up a substantial portion of the gene pool would likely depend on where in California it was located, who was in charge when, and how valuable the real estate was. Regardless of its founding composition, such an insular polity would presumably have had a great deal of intermarriage across whatever lines originally existed, since otherwise you'd have people marrying first cousins generation after generation.

Priceless
03-08-18, 11:25 AM
I'd love to see JM back as a Watcher. That would be my dream.

But there are other past cast members that could come back for single episodes (or more!); SMG could easily show up as Buffy, Michelle Trachtenberg would make a great Watcher, as would Allyson Hannigan. Tom Lenk would also be great as a Watcher. Of course it all depends on the comics.

I can just visualise the scene between Spike and Halfrek, when they appear to recognise each other, how meta would it be when JM's Watcher meets SMG's Buffy and they share a look, a raised eyebrow, as though they recognise each other. That would be amazing and make me so happy :D

TriBel
03-08-18, 01:07 PM
ghoststar

Probably not a lot of black ancestry, given that few freed slaves could afford to travel so far.

Okay but what about more recent demographic shifts...and Compton?

"The city is generally a working class city with some middle-class neighborhoods, and is home to a relatively young population, at an average 25 years of age, compared to the American median age of 35 (2010 data)..."
I know Compton's become a bit of a cliche in recent times but it's fruitful territory for social critique (implicit or explicit). The Giles' mini is set nearby.

HowiMetdaSlayer
05-08-18, 04:02 PM
Main cast:
Chris Chalk as Giles:
http://heroesforhire.us/gal/images/clients/ChrisChalk/cchalk2.jpg
Sophia Lillis as Willow:
https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/rexfeatures_9040651b.jpg
Xolo Mariduena as Xander:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Xolo+Mariduena+Cobra+Kai+Tribeca+TV+2018+Tribeca+A sQv8ozPrlJl.jpg
Millie Bobby Brown as Buffy:
https://www.vostv.com.ni/media/news/0c1f030cf61d11e78e76567103a612d1.jpg

As for Drusilla:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/4d/b9/bc4db92029431649a257bffdf000a9e9.jpg
I think Natalie Dormer would be perfect!