PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL:Buffy Is Being Rebooted On TV.Joss Is Producing.

BAF
21-07-18, 12:49 AM
OFFICIAL:Buffy Is Being Rebooted.Joss Is Producing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot-inclusive-take-joss-whedon-works-1128888

July 20, 2018 by Lesley Goldberg

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Inclusive Reboot in the Works With Joss Whedon

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/07/buffy_the_vampire_slayer__and_inset_of_monica_owus u-breen_-h_2018.jpg

Monica Owusu-Breen has been hired by producers 20th Century Fox Television to pen the script for the new take on Joss Whedon's cult favorite. A network is not yet attached.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffy due to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.

Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Breen was identified as the right writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined. Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons on The WB Network (which evolved to become The CW) and UPN. The series continued in comic book form after completing its run in 2003. Buffy was based on the feature film of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry that was originally penned by Whedon.

The cult favorite series became a breakout and helped turn Whedon into a household name, while also launching the careers of the series' stars (including David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan) and writers (including Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon). Buffy ranks as one of the greatest TV series of all time and has been hailed for the way in which Whedon and the writers challenged gender norms and portrayed Buffy (Gellar) as a feminist hero.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in March 2017, pegged to the show's 20th anniversary, Whedon said he wouldn't rule a Buffy reboot or reunion out but also expressed his "fear" at the idea. "I see a little bit of what I call monkey's paw in these reboots. You bring something back, and even if it's exactly as good as it was, the experience can't be. You've already experienced it, and part of what was great was going through it for the first time. You have to meet expectations and adjust it for the climate, which is not easily. Luckily most of my actors still look wonderful, but I'm not worried about them being creaky. I'm more worried about me being creaky as a storyteller. You don't want that feeling that you should have left before the encore."

The decision to reboot Buffy comes a few months after Fox and 20th TV chairman and CEO Gary Newman hinted that the title could soon find itself into the studio's development pipeline. "[Buffy] is probably our most ripe show for a remake, it's something we talk about frequently," he said in March, noting that the choice to do so ultimately was up to Whedon.

For her part, Breen recently created and showran NBC's Midnight, Texas. She left the series after season one. Her credits include Revolution, Fringe, Brothres & Sisters, Alias, Lost and Charmed. She's repped by WME.

The Buffy reboot and HBO drama mark a return to television for Whedon, whose credits include Buffy spinoff Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. The once-beloved showrunner has been criticized more recently after allegations of abuse and cheating from his ex-wife. Whedon is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham

Reboots and spinoffs continue to be in demand as broadcast, streaming and cable outlets alike look for proven IP in a bid to both monetize libraries and cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that features more than 500 scripted originals this year alone. For its part, 20th TV has revived 24 and Prison Break, among others, in recent years. The Buffy reboot is part of a larger effort by Fox 21 to expand its slate to streaming and cable.

https://www.cbr.com/whedon-buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot/

Joss Whedon’s Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Lands TV Reboot

Buffy will return to television in a reboot centered on the character originally portrayed by Sarah Michelle-Gellar, now played by a black actor.

by Anthony Couto

https://static2.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/sarah-michelle-gellar-buffy-the-vampire-slayer.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is returning to television in a reboot executive produced by franchise creator Joss Whedon (The Avengers).

20th Century Fox Television is reportedly developing the new take on Buffy, which will center on a younger version of the titular character portrayed by Sarah Michelle-Gellar on the ’97 series, now played by a black actor.

Writer Monica Owusu-Breen, who previously collaborated with Whedon on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., will write the reboot; Whedon is set to serve as executive producer on the project, in addition to working with Breen on the script.

Fox will reportedly pitch the new Buffy take to “streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war.”

Casting has not been set for the Buffy reboot. It will reportedly feature a “richly diverse” cast, and like the original series, boast metaphors for “issue facing society today.”

Whedon recently inked a deal with HBO to produce his new series, The Nevers. The series is described as “an epic science-fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world.” Whedon will write, direct and serve as showrunner for this series, which sees him return to some familiar themes from his past TV work.

(via The Hollywood Reporter)

https://deadline.com/2018/07/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-series-reboot-in-works-black-lead-monica-owusu-breen-joss-whedon-1202430592/

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Series Reboot With Black Lead In Works From Monica Owusu-Breen & Joss Whedon

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/shutterstock_5886115aw.jpg

One of the most beloved TV series of the past two decades, Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is making a comeback. A reboot of the supernatural drama is in development at Fox 21 TV Studios, the cable/streaming division of 20th Century Fox TV, the studios behind the original series, which ran for seven seasons, first on the WB and then on UPN.

Midnight, Texas creator Monica Owusu-Breen has been tapped as writer, executive producer and showrunner of the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with the original series’ creator and showrunner Whedon set to executive produce alongside original series’ exec producers Gail Berman, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui as well as Joe Earley from Berman’s Jackal Group.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which Whedon adapted from the 1992 feature he had written, helped establish him as a creator, Berman as a TV producer, star Sarah Michelle Gellar as a household name and the WB as a TV network. (Berman at the time ran Sandollar Television, which also is getting credit on the potential reboot.)

was a game-changing hit that put the fledgeling WB on the map and was a series that developed a devoted following only a few other series have managed to achieve. Fifteen years after Buffy‘s end, it’s still going strong. That helped make Buffy into a lucrative property for producer 20th Century Fox TV, which used the series’ success to get a bigger license fee from UPN in the show’s controversial move from its original home in 2001.

Buffy also spawned a successful spinoff in Angel, toplined by David Boreanaz, which aired on the WB for five seasons.

20th TV has been at the forefront of the current wave of reboots and revivals with 24: Live Another Day and 24: Legacy, which also opted to shake things up with a black actor, Corey Hawkins, succeeding Kiefer Sutherland, and new installments of Prison Break and The X-Files. The studio also has a Last Man Standing revival on Fox this coming season.

20th TV and the original series’ producers started discussions last fall about rebooting Buffy. After much deliberation and a lengthy back-and-forth, everyone involved agreed the time was right contingent on finding the right writer with the right take. The attention focused on Owusu-Breen.

Whedon and Breen had previously worked together on ABC’s Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., which Whedon co-created and executive produced/directed and Owusu-Breen co-executive produced.

It is unclear whether Whedon will have any other role on the series due to his many other commitments but he will be creatively involved and is already working with Owusu-Breen.

Whedon, who had been largely focused on features for the past few years, including writing and directing the first two movies in Marvel’s hugely successful The Avengers franchise, The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, is making a return to TV. He just signed on to write, executive produce and showrun The Nevers, picked up to series by HBO, and he also exec produces Pippa Smith: Grown-Up Detective, which is in development at Freeform. He is repped by CAA.

Owusu-Breen most recently created the NBC supernatural drama Midnight, Texas based on the books by author Charlaine Harris, and served as executive producer and showrunner on the first season. She previously worked with J.J. Abrams on Alias, Lost and Fringe. Her series credits also include Revolution and Brothers and Sisters. She is repped by WME.

Well,now we know why Season 12 is the final comic season I think.

Silver1
21-07-18, 12:58 AM
Oh dear....

vampmogs
21-07-18, 01:00 AM
Hm. I have such mixed feelings about this.

Look, I don't think you'll ever be able to recapture the tone of the original show. Joss himself has never managed to recapture that lightning in a bottle that made Buffy such a standout series. It was a combination of many things that made it so fantastic and it was also a product of it's time that I think has only gotten even more beloved as people's nostalgia has kicked in. Whatever they do now is going to be really different, which is fine, I guess it should be, but there was something so remarkable and different about the original series that I don't think the reboot is going to be able to compare.

I guess I just wish that they'd created a new show set in the Buffyverse. They obviously want to capitalise on the "Buffy" name but it's going to be really hard for me to see anyone other than SMG in the role and to not make constant comparisons between the two shows. I think I'd much have preferred a series about a new black slayer than having to reboot it.

But yeah, that certainly explains why they're in such a rush to finish the comics. They're paving the way for the reboot.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 01:05 AM
Was about to post it. Guess we can give up on the vague doubletalk that Season 12 isn't the series finale for this iteration that it obviously was from the word go.

While I have wanted a Buffy reboot or continuation for some time, I have not frankly wanted Joss to have much to do with it, because Joss is a burn-out at this point who is more a slave to political twitter than to the creative process. So I have all kinds of cynical and acerbic things to say that could be intense shade on the reboot but I will just not.

I will instead fantasy the title role under the condition stated in the article and say... Amandla Stenberg (Rue from 2012's The Hunger Games). My own prior S1 reboot fancasting for the part was Neil Tiger Free who played the adolescent Myrcella Baretheon on GOT.

Silver1
21-07-18, 01:16 AM

Look, I don't think you'll ever be able to recapture the tone of the original show. Joss himself has never managed to recapture that lightning in a bottle that made Buffy such a standout series. It was a combination of many things that made it so fantastic and it was also a product of it's time that I think has only gotten even more beloved as people's nostalgia has kicked in. Whatever they do now is going to be really different, which is fine, I guess it should be, but there was something so remarkable and different about the original series that I don't think the reboot is going to be able to compare.

I guess I just wish that they'd created a new show set in the Buffyverse. They obviously want to capitalise on the "Buffy" name but it's going to be really hard for me to see anyone other than SMG in the role and to not make constant comparisons between the two shows. I think I'd much have preferred a series about a new black slayer than having to reboot it.

But yeah, that certainly explains why they're in such a rush to finish the comics. They're paving the way for the reboot.

Yeah, now it all makes sense. I'm all for something new, but I thought Agents of Shield sucked, and so what with that and Joss seemingly being unable to recapture his Buffy vibes, methinks this will end up being just yet another weak teen 'drama'.

Just give it up lads.

TriBel
21-07-18, 01:16 AM

I actually thought this was telegraphed with the Giles mini. I wasn't surprised by the announcement S12 was the last and I'm not surprised by this.

DanSlayer
21-07-18, 01:18 AM
Hm. I'll check it assuming it's on something I have access too in Canada. Says cable and streaming as possible homes. I doubt they'll go the "Fu*k Batman," route but we might get to hear some shits and such. It's going to be aimed at teens/young adults because that's just the demographic, but I have enjoyed Cloak & Dagger, whose creators have cited Buffy a few times. Young Justice is "just a kids show" but generations of DC fans love it. Buffy could adapt as well.

I wonder how they'll deal with people not registering vamps/demons given everyone has a video camera these days?

If this ever gets an Angel equivalent we should expect multiple small crossovers each year with at least one full cast double episode arc. Re: Arrowverse.

So this is the end of the comics then. I have mixed feelings. I did enjoy some parts even with long stretches of weakness.

It'll probably be 6 months-a year before this starts at least but at least this place and SA won't die down without the comics. We might even get some old faces back.

SpuffyGlitz
21-07-18, 01:21 AM
This summarises my feelings completely - agree with every word.

vampmogs
21-07-18, 01:21 AM
To be honest, I don't think Joss does have much to do with it. He's not acting as the showrunner or writing the series and he's just got The Nevers greenlit on HBO. I feel like he's pretty much passing the torch, giving his 'blessing' publicly to try and appease hardcore fans, and is probably going to be offering some advice in the early stages of the reboot before having little to do with it after that. Fox Executives said some time ago that they wouldn't do it without his blessing, especially after the backlash for the reboot movie years ago, so I see this more as Joss trying to make the transition as friendly as possible.

I'm more curious to know if that the original actors were ever approached about reprising their roles. I wonder if they jumped straight to rebooting the series entirely or if first they considered simply bringing the show back like Gilmore Girls, Will & Grace or The X Files. For a while there I got the impression that their may have been something going on behind the scenes.

I'm all for something new, but I thought Agents of Shield sucked

This makes me a little nervous as well. I loathe Agents of Shield so when I saw that she had wrote for it that didn't exactly fill me with confidence. However, she also wrote for Alias which could be very good at times and whilst I never cared about them I know that Brothers & Sisters, Fringe and Lost all had their moments as well. I guess we shouldn't necessarily judge her by her past TV shows as we don't know what she did/didn't write and it's not always a true indication of how well a writer would do on another TV Series. For instance, Andrew Chambliss, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon all wrote the best episodes of Dollhouse but then Chambliss was terrible in Buffy Season 9 and, as I said, I hate Agents of Shield which Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon are showrunners on. So honestly who even knows?

Silver1
21-07-18, 01:26 AM
Oh I'm sure as It's a reboot and everyone worships at the alter of youth these days, none of the original cast would have been asked. They would all have been seen as 'past it'. Maybe we'll get a kinda brief Dr McCoy style next gen cameo to appease the fans, but thats about it.

SpuffyGlitz
21-07-18, 01:28 AM
What does "building on the mythology" of the original mean? Does that mean - the black Slayer is Buffy in a re-incarnation? Or is she a different Slayer with the same name? If she's a new Slayer with a new story (and whatever's happened canonically in Buffy is just the background)- I would be all on board with that - it would be exciting and promising. But I'd hate for it to influence the original.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 01:29 AM
I was sort of hoping -- okay fervently hoping -- this sort of thing would wait until after a deal bringing the IP firmly into the mouse's tender, commercially conscious hands had come to its conclusion. I really don't know what we're likely to get out of this. I'm still biting my, er, keyboard for the most part, but I do very much hope that this keeps its focus on world-building and character-driven interactions above the many many other things that it could try to make itself about -- basically making every mistake that the show avoided originally.

Silver1
21-07-18, 01:30 AM
What does "building on the mythology" of the original mean? Does that mean - the black Slayer is Buffy in a re-incarnation? Or is she a different Slayer with the same name? If she's a new Slayer with a new story (and whatever's happened canonically in Buffy is just the background)- I would be all on board with that - it would be exciting and promising. But I'd hate for it to influence the original.

I imagine It's meant to be just a different take on Buffy's character. And the building bit I suspect means well, we're going to do what we bloody well please with it and do all sorts of mad things. :roll:

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 01:31 AM

It's probably euphemistic for "redesigning the mythology to better suit the ideas kicking around at the moment". Which is actually not new ground even in the... what will we end up calling this iteration, the Sarahverse?

vampmogs
21-07-18, 01:35 AM

It's a little ambiguous, hey? I'm guessing they mean just expanding on the original mythology and giving it a more modern perspective. To be honest, there's certain blindspots the original series had that doesn't hold up so well today. I think the Slayer mythology (and the Watchers etc) was far more disconcerting then the original series ever really touched on and I think they could explore that more. I also think that they're probably going to look at how differently a POC would be treated/deal with being the Chosen One as opposed to a white, middle-class Californian girl. The original series did do a really poor job with POC so there's definitely new territory which they could, and should, explore.

But they could do all of this with a new slayer who doesn't have to be "Buffy", which is why I'm so conflicted about this. Like you, if they'd just set a new show within the same universe I would be fully on board with this without any reservations. For the most part it sounds like they're definitely doing a reset/reimagining of the story but there's been a few articles I've read that have hinted that the story is still in it's very early stages. I wonder if they're testing the waters to see how people react to a full on reboot or if they should just set it within the same universe.

I wouldn't ever go as far to say that a black woman SHOULD be writing the story about a black woman because the original series will always be my most beloved story of all time and that was written by a man. But Joss certainly had his blind spots at times and I do appreciate that a woman is going to get a chance to write for an iconic female character.

TriBel
21-07-18, 01:36 AM
I'm still wondering whether there'll be a connection between this and the mini. Blue ended the series eating an apple (so Eve). Giles told us Roux lived. A young Giles to act as watcher provides a continuity with the original. I'd give it a chance.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 01:38 AM
I'm still wondering whether there'll be a connection between this and the mini. Blue ended the series eating an apple (so Eve). Giles told us Roux lived. A young Giles to act as watcher provides a continuity with the original. I'd give it a chance.

My guess is the instant Giles showed up for "The Reckoning' as an adult, you saw the last of any ongoing impact of that miniseries. Which is to say, about as much as werewolf author lady's follow-on to "After the Fall" did (none).

TriBel
21-07-18, 01:52 AM
My guess is the instant Giles showed up for "The Reckoning' as an adult, you saw the last of any ongoing impact of that miniseries. Which is to say, about as much as werewolf author lady's follow-on to "After the Fall" did (none).

D'you think? I'm not so sure. Buffy was rooted in fiction - in the sense that she emerged in reaction to genre stereotypes. They took great care with the mini to ground Roux in black american writing and African myth and used her as a device to question the founding documents of the nation. She was well-crafted in terms of the zeitgeist. She has the potential to be far more radical than Buffy. Giles - yes, difficult - but S12 hasn't finished yet. :)

Silver1
21-07-18, 01:56 AM
I thought this comment on Tumbler was very astute.

For years now, I have seen people coming out with these ideas for what a hypothetical Buffy reboot would be like, with diverse casts and ‘better characterizations’ and ‘better storylines’ and yada yada yada, and I think many of them are great, and I’m all for a more diverse cast but people have spent years building this image in their heads of what a Buffy reboot will be like, and when the actuality fails to live up to the hype they gave it, they will riot, and it will backlash.

It happened with the Star Wars prequels. It happened with Skyrim. It happened with Fallout 4. It happened with a lot of the DC and marvel movies. People build elaborate and idiosyncratic visions of what this or that media will be/should be, and then they blame the creators for not giving what they promised when no one promised you that outcome but you.

And that’s not even touching the new rounds of shipwars and character-opinion wars these will kick off between all the old sparring partners.

This. Will. Not. End. Well.

No, I suspect It won't.

vampmogs
21-07-18, 01:57 AM
D'you think? I'm not so sure. Buffy was rooted in fiction - in the sense that she emerged in reaction to genre stereotypes. They took great care with the mini to ground Roux in black american writing and African myth and used her as a device to question the founding documents of the nation. She was well-crafted in terms of the zeitgeist. She has the potential to be far more radical than Buffy. Giles - yes, difficult - but S12 hasn't finished yet. :)

Roux was a one-off character in a one-off miniseries now set in a comic world that is being shelved in 2 months time to make way for a reboot of the entire show. Not only do I doubt she will have any relevance to Season 12 but she's certainly not going to have any relevance to the new show.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 02:02 AM
I thought this comment on Tumbler was very astute.

No, I suspect It won't.

I'll give voice to my main concern, is that I hope they don't decide that the entire show needs to be "intersectionality tetris" and instead take, say, the Luke Cage approach -- pick a spot in the world and fill it with the characters you would generally expect to find there were it the real world. Sunnydale High felt like a very genuinely upper-middle class remote-suburban HS full of mostly white kids, consistent with the city it was aping at the time. Whatever corner of the world they pick to set their new Buffy in, make it a corner of the world that feels real. Don't approach the casting and character design like "well, we have our black female protagonist, so now we just need to hit..." *unfurls sheef of paper that curls down to the floor*.

Actually that's a pretty secondary concern, my main one is that this isn't Joss' way to turn political twitter INTO the creative process, and what was once a world that's magic was built on metaphor for the struggles of life becomes painfully literal and polemic. Don't make Season 9 the TV show.

EDIT: ... and mogs is unthankable?

Silver1
21-07-18, 02:16 AM
I just don't want them to stray so far from the original premise that they might as well call It something else. Also many plot points that was in the original wouldn't dare make it into TV today, and so whatever they do I don't think It's going to be as striking as the original show.

Can you imagine them doing an AR? Dear god the outcry!

Also It occurred to me they could not just reinvent the characters of Angel and Spike but dump them altogether in favor of their own OC's.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear lord, Buffy is trending on UK Twitter right about now. :o

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 02:17 AM
Top of my US trends list as well.

vampmogs
21-07-18, 02:19 AM
Can you imagine them doing an AR? Dear god the outcry!

I don't know about that. There's plenty of shows on today that are far more graphic and shocking than anything Buffy ever showed us. For instance, American Horror Story has shown numerous and graphic rape scenes throughout it's run as did True Blood. They're planning on shipping the reboot around to cable/streaming channels so the series won't be confined to traditional network censorship. It'll really depend on what kind of demographic they're planning to market the reboot for. If, for instance, they go down the Charmed reboot route, then it'll obviously be aimed at young audiences like the original show was and then I don't know if it will be able to go to those places. However, they might do something like the Prisoner Cell Block H/Wentworth reboot and make the series far darker and grittier than it originally was. I'm just grateful that unlike Charmed it isn't going to be on The CW. The fact they're going straight to streaming makes me a little hopeful.

I'm more worried that they won't be able to replicate some of the weirdness that the series always had. I was watching Dopplegangland last night and it stuck out to me how they had Vamp Willow come onto Willow and feel her up. I instantly thought how a lot of these trite boring superhero shows on TV today simply don't go to places like that. There was a quirkiness to Buffy that genre TV cannot come close to replicating on TV today.

Also It occurred to me they could not just reinvent the characters of Angel and Spike but dump them altogether in favor of their own OC's.

If anything I think they'll make them even more prominent characters. They'll also probably play up the love triangle far more as even Joss seems to have bought into it in the last few comic seasons.

Silver1
21-07-18, 02:23 AM
American Horror story is a different kinda thing and (I imagine) aimed at an older audience. I think they'll go younger for this.

DanSlayer
21-07-18, 02:24 AM
FYI, Cloak & Dagger had an AR in episode 2. Not as graphic as S6 or anything; but as it stands now the guy did get away with it, though stabbed in the gut.

Silver1
21-07-18, 02:26 AM
Cloak and Dagger looked to awful to me. And yes, nothing as graphic as Buffy.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 02:28 AM
I'd have much preferred a Buffyverse series of the tone and production value of the Marvel-Netflix, which basically qualify as prestige TV.

Y'know, there would be no reason on earth, whatsoever, that Sarah couldn't be in the show playing an entirely different character. Why can't a Watcher be an American woman?

Silver1
21-07-18, 02:29 AM
I think If SMG appeared it would be too distracting.

vampmogs
21-07-18, 02:31 AM
Y'know, there would be no reason on earth, whatsoever, that Sarah couldn't be in the show playing an entirely different character. Why can't a Watcher be an American woman?

I'd honestly hate that. I'd find it incredibly distracting the whole time and, again, all it would do is constantly remind me of the Buffy I grew up with and make constant comparisons.

KingofCretins
21-07-18, 02:32 AM
Eh, maybe. I dunno, feels like the show should tug its forelock something vigorous in that direction.

DanSlayer
21-07-18, 02:32 AM

It's a bit slow but still good IMO. Neither of them are interested in saving the world/city and for the most part leave each other alone to deal with their own antagonists. Ep 8 just had the most comic like plot to trick a corrupt cop into confessing to a murder and ended with a reversal of the "woman in refrigerator" trope. Just renewed for Season 2, this spring.

Silver1
21-07-18, 02:35 AM
Sadly they can keep it.

HardlyThere
21-07-18, 02:52 AM
I'd honestly hate that. I'd find it incredibly distracting the whole time and, again, all it would do is constantly remind me of the Buffy I grew up with and make constant comparisons.

Comparisons will be constant anyway. It will be better by default for the tumblr ONTD crowd just because it's more "current" and will tackle today's issues. It's all kind of ironic considering the reasons Buffy was created are all alive and well, perhaps even worse.

I don't think SMG would do it even if asked. I'd be surprised if they even bothered.

BAF
21-07-18, 02:54 AM
Hmm this stands out to me.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

The red parts stood out to me.Could this not be hard reboot but more like a legacy sequel with a new character as the lead?Sort of like the Jurassic World films in relation to Jurassic Park.Basically still in continuity with canon Buffyverse but set in the present with a completely new lead and cast?

Some more articles

Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Confirmed!
The new Buffy will see a black actress take on the role previously played by Sarah Michelle Gellar

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/959479-joss-whedons-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-confirmed

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ TV Reboot in the Works with Black Lead Actress

http://collider.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-tv-reboot/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV Reboot In The Works With Black Actress

https://screenrant.com/buffy-vampire-slayer-tv-show-reboot-joss-whedon/

Joss Whedon Is Rebooting ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ With A Black Actress As The Slayer

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-reboot-joss-whedon/

African American-Led BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot In Development with FOX21

https://www.newsarama.com/40984-african-american-led-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-in-development-with-fox21.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting a reboot

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot

Joss Whedon Is Working On A Black BUFFY Remake

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/20/joss-whedon-is-working-on-a-black-buffy-remake

bespangled
21-07-18, 02:55 AM
I just posted a thread in the General forum about the reboot. There's an article about Monica Owusu Breen - the new producer. She sounds pretty good.

American Aurora
21-07-18, 03:00 AM
This isn’t really surprising, is it? Buffy’s been a hot property for years and the whole “trial run” of the anniversary to judge interest in the franchise plus the frantic planning for the last comic season practically screams “reboot coming.”

I’d heard big rumors about this the past year from a few people, but so many times this kind of project falls through that I figured it was pointless to post anything. It’s not as if everyone couldn’t have guessed what was coming anyway. I know they were debating as to whether it should be a true reboot or a “next generation” kind of thing, but it sounds like they’ve decided on the former. Having an African American actress play Buffy falls in line with the failed “Nancy Drew” reboot - they’re looking at the same changing demographics here.

I’m actually kind of surprised that Buffy isn’t Latina or Asian considering the demographic makeup of Southern California. I imagine that Xander and/or Willow will take up the slack there. Or even Angel and/or Spike. In terms of Othering, there could be a transposition of Willow the witch from Jewish to Muslim. I imagine they’ll keep her coded lesbian/bisexual/transsexual though.

The only question is: Will the show be pitched to tweens or to college kids? If the former, the show will probably stay within the original formatting of Buffy. If the latter, expect it to go much farther than before in terms of adult material, graphic context and political grandstanding. I’d also prepare for a lot more frank sexuality - I’d bet my life on hot and steamy Spangel happening on screen within the first season.

HardlyThere
21-07-18, 03:08 AM
Hmm this stands out to me.

The red parts stood out to me.Could this not be hard reboot but more like a legacy sequel with a new character as the lead?Sort of like the Jurassic World films in relation to Jurassic Park.Basically still in continuity with canon Buffyverse but set in the present with a completely new lead and cast?

Some more articles

Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Confirmed!
The new Buffy will see a black actress take on the role previously played by Sarah Michelle Gellar

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/959479-joss-whedons-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-confirmed

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ TV Reboot in the Works with Black Lead Actress

http://collider.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-tv-reboot/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV Reboot In The Works With Black Actress

https://screenrant.com/buffy-vampire-slayer-tv-show-reboot-joss-whedon/

Joss Whedon Is Rebooting ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ With A Black Actress As The Slayer

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-reboot-joss-whedon/

African American-Led BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot In Development with FOX21

https://www.newsarama.com/40984-african-american-led-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-in-development-with-fox21.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting a reboot

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot

Joss Whedon Is Working On A Black BUFFY Remake

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/20/joss-whedon-is-working-on-a-black-buffy-remake

Jurassic World didn't recast Goldblum, Sam Niell or Laura Dern.

BAF
21-07-18, 03:20 AM
Jurassic World didn't recast Goldblum, Sam Niell or Laura Dern.

Well,they weren't in the first Jurassic World but they did bring back BD Wong.A Legacy sequel/revival though doesn't have to bring back any cast or characters from the previous stories.This could be a hard reboot but the reports sound vague right this second.

Tweet from Christos Gage

https://mobile.twitter.com/troyfin2/status/1020458913752371200?p=v

TJ Finecey
@troyfin2

@Christosgage @joss Did this Buffy reboot/revival have anything to do with the comics seasons ending?

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @troyfin2 @joss

Not that I'm aware of, but ain't nobody consulting with me on matters like that!

HardlyThere
21-07-18, 03:26 AM
JW is a sequel, not a reboot is my point. The created new characters and kept the old. All they did was fudge the mythology a tad.

Here, they're stated flat-out their intent is to recast the OG characters, moreover change their ethnicity. That's a pretty hard thing to explain if it's meant to be the same world.

Alce
21-07-18, 04:44 AM
OK. At least I understand now why Buffy's comics are ended. But in the same time I'm kind of irritated now. 11th season was good ending for comics and this last season looks even more unnecessary than before.

As for new show... I hate remakes, reboots and even song covers for that matter. In best case only one of 20 is remotely as good as original. Plus, I should make confession here. As much as I like Buffy, I never particularly cared about show mythology, I haven't watched it because idea of teenage girl killing vampires was particularly appealing to me. I watched it because I liked characters, actors and writing. There is absolutely nothing now that would be pointing that this new Buffy should be more interesting to me than any other random new show. If anything at least with any other show I wouldn't be forced to compare it with original.

Whatever. I wasn't even target audience for original, let alone new remake, so it's just pointless rant from me. I have to just accept that Buffy, as I know it, is ending for good.:sadwalk:

TimeTravellingBunny
21-07-18, 05:43 AM
This, so far, sounds great - as good as possible when it comes to Buffy being rebooted at all. Because, for starters, as I've said before - if they are going to reboot Buffy at all, more diversity and Buffy being non-white is absolutely the way to go. It's the way to actually make it different and interesting and add something new that the original BtVS lacked (as great as it was, it was definitely very white - probably unrealistically so, going by what I know of the demographics of Southern California, which is not an awful lot, but still... Yeah, I know it's not that white by any means.) And Buffy being black is especially a great choice. I can't wait to see how they mix the casting of the other characters, and how similar or different they are going to be to the original.

Secondly, I'm relieved that Joss is not going to be too involved, because, let's face it - he's regressed as a writer and run out of ideas, especially when it comes to Buffy. His latest comics have been atrocious, as more most of his previous ideas for the comics plotlines.

Finally, while I haven't seen Midnight, Texas, I really loved most of Monica Owusu-Breen's writing on Agents of SHIELD. Especially The Only Light in the Darkness, which is still one of my favorite AoS episodes, and always struck me as very Buffyesque, in the sense that there were some interesting parallels and contrasts to some of the BtVS storylines and characters (not a rehash, but a different take on some of the similar themes), so much that I'd be very surprised if the author had not seen BtVS. I also liked most of her other episodes, which shared some of the same story/character threads - The Well, Seeds, Making Friends and Influencing People - as well as Bouncing Back, with a great character introduction, which showed her doing a good job with storyline introducing a character from a non-US, non-white culture. On the other hand, she did write A Wanted (In)human, which sucked, because it had on really bad storyline and another that rehashed her own writing from TOLITD, but overall, looking at her work on AoS, she's one of my favorite writers on the show, and I thought it was a real pity she left after season 3 to do another show. Because, while season 4 was amazing, season 5 had so many new writers which really sucked and made the last third of season 5 such a mess. It would have benefited from a writer who knew the characters and had proven able to write sensitive and emotionally complex storylines.
Plus, on Lost she got to write a quite strong episode for one of my favorite characters - who was also one of the few African characters on US TV.

More writers bringing non-US perspectives on US shows is always welcome.

The blonde valley girl cheerleader thing has been done already, perfectly well. Now it's time for something new.

A part of me thinks they should change the name and just call it _________ the Vampire Slayer". Then again, it doesn't matter - the difference will be obvious. All that matters is that the new BtVS is groundbreaking and subverts the stereotypes as much as the original one - and is as brave, risky and complex.

And I love Amandla Sternberg from THG, so I really like that idea.

vampmogs
21-07-18, 05:43 AM
Whatever. I wasn't even target audience for original, let alone new remake, so it's just pointless rant from me. I have to just accept that Buffy, as I know it, is ending for good.:sadwalk:

It's a bit like that, isn't it? A part of me feels like I'm in mourning again for the show. It feels eerily similar to when it originally ended back in 2003 but even then I still had another season of Angel to watch. It definitely feels like the death of the story as I knew and loved it as assuming the reboot goes ahead, all the new merchandise will presumably feature the new cast of characters etc.

Stoney
21-07-18, 05:47 AM
This isn’t really surprising, is it? Buffy’s been a hot property for years and the whole “trial run” of the anniversary to judge interest in the franchise plus the frantic planning for the last comic season practically screams “reboot coming.”

Perhaps not surprising so much as disappointing. I had really hoped if they ever went there it would be with something that sat alongside the original rather than tried to rewrite it. I'm all for changes in representation but a reboot puts anything new in direct competition with the original and I don't like either the idea of getting something that constantly falls short or getting something that diminishes what came first.

I'll hope that it is aimed at tweens too if an older audience would just generate a lot more sexuality. I've thought a few times during my current rewatches that it is nice with BtVS that we don't actually lose screentime to showing as much flesh and grinding as possible. I've zero issues with the exploration and depiction of sexual relationships but there is so much sex inserted (*cough*) into shows these days that feels like it is for titillation that I really would hate to see a BtVS reboot just jump on that bandwagon. These types of changes I think would work far better within a tangential story than a full reboot where every change is going to stand out massively.

TimeTravellingBunny
21-07-18, 05:47 AM

I’d heard big rumors about this the past year from a few people, but so many times this kind of project falls through that I figured it was pointless to post anything. It’s not as if everyone couldn’t have guessed what was coming anyway. I know they were debating as to whether it should be a true reboot or a “next generation” kind of thing, but it sounds like they’ve decided on the former. Having an African American actress play Buffy falls in line with the failed “Nancy Drew” reboot - they’re looking at the same changing demographics here.

I’m actually kind of surprised that Buffy isn’t Latina or Asian considering the demographic makeup of Southern California. I imagine that Xander and/or Willow will take up the slack there. Or even Angel and/or Spike. In terms of Othering, there could be a transposition of Willow the witch from Jewish to Muslim. I imagine they’ll keep her coded lesbian/bisexual/transsexual though.

The only question is: Will the show be pitched to tweens or to college kids? If the former, the show will probably stay within the original formatting of Buffy. If the latter, expect it to go much farther than before in terms of adult material, graphic context and political grandstanding. I’d also prepare for a lot more frank sexuality - I’d bet my life on hot and steamy Spangel happening on screen within the first season.

It's not guaranteed that the new reboot will have all the same characters, does it? In fact, I hope it does not. It should not copy the original too much - it should do its own thing.

And most of all, I hope to God they don't go the stupid "vampire love triangle" roote that the comics have been pushing. The show wasn't really about that, it's old and tired and annoying as hell (after True Blood, The Vampire Diaries and all). Better not call the new vampires or love interests Angel or Spike at all.

Priceless
21-07-18, 06:52 AM
I actually thought this was telegraphed with the Giles mini. I wasn't surprised by the announcement S12 was the last and I'm not surprised by this.

Yeah have to say I'm with you here. As soon as the media started printing 'oh we want to reboot Buffy but we won't do it without Joss', the reboot was inevitable. The Giles mini and Roux seemed totally on the zeitgeist, and fits so well with a reboot. And the third clue, for me, was one of JM's band mates (IIRC) saying he saw three young actresses at a con, trying to get the flavour of what it meant to be Buffy . . . that seemed such a guileless post, so honest, that it had to be true.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we may get an Angel, who may be male or female, as Buffy may be gay or trans. Trans is very zeitgeisty at the moment on tv. If the lead isn't trans I am putting money on one of the characters being trans. Anyway, I think Angel may be female and we may never get a Spike at all because the season 2 may go off in a totally different direction. We certainly won't get a Spuffy unless the new Angel gets their own show :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the first two episodes of Cloak & Dagger an hated it. Just awful, aimed at kids with nothing to say for itself beyond beautiful people have special powers :down: I really hope the new Buffy will have more depth and awareness and humour. If it's not funny, I won't watch. It was the comedy that drew me to Buffy and one of my favourite things about the show. I hope they can recapture that and hire actors with some comedy awareness.

Stoney
21-07-18, 08:35 AM
I think we may get an Angel, who may be male or female, as Buffy may be gay or trans. Trans is very zeitgeisty at the moment on tv. If the lead isn't trans I am putting money on one of the characters being trans. Anyway, I think Angel may be female and we may never get a Spike at all because the season 2 may go off in a totally different direction. We certainly won't get a Spuffy unless the new Angel gets their own show :lol:

If they are supposed to be doing a full reboot what would they or wouldn't they change and it still count as such? To be honest I'd rather not have my favourite character included at all. I'd really like to see a new story set in the same verse or a total reimagining that differed greatly, but I don't think they'd be reboots as I understand it. I just can't see anything good coming from a literal recast/reshoot. I mean they've brought in a writer so clearly they are going to be making changes not just digging out the old scripts and filming. I suppose it is the boundaries of what a reboot does/doesn't mean that bothers me. New characters, new stories would be best but clearly they aren't intending to do that.

Priceless
21-07-18, 08:52 AM
If they are supposed to be doing a full reboot what would they or wouldn't they change and it still count as such? To be honest I'd rather not have my favourite character included at all. I'd really like to see a new story set in the same verse or a total reimagining that differed greatly, but I don't think they'd be reboots as I understand it. I just can't see anything good coming from a literal recast/reshoot. I mean they've brought in a writer so clearly they are going to be making changes not just digging out the old scripts and filming. I suppose it is the boundaries of what a reboot does/doesn't mean that bothers me. New characters, new stories would be best but clearly they aren't intending to do that.

I agree, I think. (I really don't know how I feel, I'm hoping that by reading this thread, other people will put my feelings in writing, because I can't. I'm torn. I'm conflicted.) It is the age of the reboot; Charmed, Fuller House, Lost In Space, Magnum, Will & Grace, Roseanne, X-Files to name but a few. Hollywood seems to have no new stories to tell and if it does have new stories it has no new characters to tell them. It's a sad state of affairs, and reflects what has been happening in film for a long time, with the 'franchise culture' of movies nowadays.

Klaus Kartoffel
21-07-18, 09:19 AM
Meh, can't we (=society) pull our heads out of the sand for once and come up with new ideas? Or better: be interested in new ideas in the first place? I vote that in "Prophecy Girl 2.0" the hellmouth beast messily, and graphically, devoures this new, shiny, adapted Scoobies before exploding in a thermo-nuclear blast, taking down the whole new, neatly overhauled Buffyverse. Destroying itself in a cynical self-mockery at the own unimaginativeness, lethargy and anxiety about the future.

I'd rather have whoever is in charge took some of the money, time, effort and creativity to carefully refurbish the original to keep it consumable for future audiences on future devices, but then moved on.

Silver1
21-07-18, 11:35 AM
Err, why is this in the comics thread exactly and Isn't it going to get confusing If there are two separate threads for this topic?

*eta* Now i'm totally confused. I swore there was another thread....

- - - Updated - - -

My god, Buffy is still trending on Twitter! :o

BAF
21-07-18, 11:42 AM
Err, why is this in the comics thread exactly and Isn't it going to get confusing If there are two separate threads for this topic?

*eta* Now i'm totally confused. I swore there was another thread....

- - - Updated - - -

My god, Buffy is still trending on Twitter! :o

bespangled opened another thread in the Jossverse General Discussion subforum.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?21066-OFFICIAL-Buffy-Reboot-Monica-Owusu-Breen-5-Fast-Facts-You-Need-to-Know&p=727246#post727246

I opened this here because I thought iut related to the canon comics in the sense that that's why season 12 is the last season.The other thread can be uses if preferred.

flow
21-07-18, 05:47 PM
Maybe a mod could merge the two threads? Sosa Lola?

flow

HowiMetdaSlayer
21-07-18, 06:43 PM
I hope Joss keeps tabs on the series. I'm hopeful given the current info. Kinda wary of where it'll end up, tho. If it's on HBO/SHO/AMC/Netflix/similar it could be great. If it's on network/regular cable - iffy. If it's on CW - it's gonna suck! ;)

Priceless
21-07-18, 07:32 PM
I hope Joss keeps tabs on the series. I'm hopeful given the current info. Kinda wary of where it'll end up, tho. If it's on HBO/SHO/AMC/Netflix/similar it could be great. If it's on network/regular cable - iffy. If it's on CW - it's gonna suck! ;)

Yes, it could be prestige tv or it could be teen soap level nonsense. I hope they get great writers, but I'll settle for good. It's all about the writing - if the script is good, it'll be okay.

flow
21-07-18, 08:15 PM
I am just wondering what could still be groundbreaking in TV nowadays. Haven`t TV-series literally been everywhere and shown everything? And represented (almost) everyone?

What trope could the reboot possibly come up with that could be called groundbreaking and radical?

flow

Silver1
21-07-18, 08:16 PM
Well I'm guessing teen soap opera nonsense. :(

MikeB
21-07-18, 08:23 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* So, the current comics are probably selling under 15k copies per Issue. The millions of BtVS are devoted to the Buffyverse and the Buffyverse cast. Even the articles for the reboot don't seem enthusiastic at all and the articles are all relatively short.

This reboot idea is probably the WORST idea for a BtVS reboot. A Black Slayer. Focused on political and cultural commentary. You know, there's Real Time With Bill Maher , Last Week Tonight with Jon Oliver , Full Frontal with Samantha Bee , VICE , The Daily Show (I don't watch.)

For cultural commentary, there's The Handmaid's Tale and other shows.

BtVS is unique in that it had a very talented writer getting to have near complete control over his TV series except that fans had enough influence to keep very popular things going.

New writers were big fans of the series and were very happy to work on the series. James Marsters and Michelle Trachenberg were both fans before being hired.

Given the showrunner's resume, the reboot isn't likely to even be near as good as The Vampire Diaries and that's series quality went downhill in Season 3 and became nonsense after Season 3.

* I consider post-Season 9 cannot be canon; therefore, the TV reboot doesn't affect how I view post-Season 9.

HowiMetdaSlayer
21-07-18, 09:11 PM
Honestly I'd like to forget most post S5, really. :s

SpuffyGlitz
21-07-18, 10:02 PM
That tweet by Nicholas Brendon (thanks for sharing flow!) -I'm trying to figure out the difference between "reboot" and "remake" :confused:
If reboot means new Slayer continuing the stories of the Buffyverse, but not retelling the old/ original stories, that's different and I'll be excited!

But the fact that it's going to be called Buffy the Vampire Slayer (if that's confirmed), makes me think this new titular Slayer will be named Buffy - which confuses me. So - what - Buffy is suddenly re-incarnated and now she's a different race and a different age - she's a teen again? If it's a new Slayer who has appropriated Buffy's NAME - that's different - but I don't see why any other Slayer would just have Buffy's name. It's like forcing every woman to wear the exact same shade of lipstick - it's an unfair template. Why can't it be a show about Roux - who sounds really interesting? Or a new Slayer with a different name? I'd really hate it if they all have the same names - Buffy, Willow, Angel, Xander, Giles, Spike etc. I'm hoping it'll all be new characters with new stories.

But if the new Slayer's called Buffy, that disappoints me because it's like walking in the shadow of the first. No one else can be Buffy Summers. Not just because of SMG's incredible legacy (it's unfair for any actor to compete with that), but because Buffy Summers is a unique cultural product with unique connotations and codings. To "reboot" her character by another actor would unravel all of that. I also squirm at the notion that a black Slayer is necessarily more radical - why must blackness be classed as "radical" as opposed to simply normative? I loved that within the Buffyverse black Slayers simply are - it's a given. Just as "strong female characters" should no longer be viewed as an anomaly. ALL Slayers are radical - regardless of race or ethnicity. I'd be thrilled to watch a reboot of Buffy with a new Slayer, who isn't Buffy, though. :)

Priceless
21-07-18, 10:38 PM
I think however it starts out, it will very quickly become it's own entity, no matter what the lead character is called. Shows have a way of forming their own story, and the times are so different, I don't imagine it could follow the same storylines in exactly the same way, and nor should it. A modern setting with a modern lead and modern supporting characters, will naturally change the direction of the show.

Silver1
21-07-18, 11:53 PM
In the end I doubt that this will end up baring any resemblance to the original show. These thing's hardly ever do.

KingofCretins
22-07-18, 02:14 AM
Reboot hasn't ever meant continuing stories in the same setting. This is also not a word I can remember being used at all in television or movies before the last 10 years. "Heroes Reborn", for example, wasn't a reboot, it was a direct continuation and called as much.

When you have the same story setting and new stories told in it, you have either a continuation, or a sequel, probably depending in large part on recurrence of characters.

To best I can define based on when and how it's been used, a reboot is basically a remake with beveled edges -- new cast, some worldbuilding changes, but the same "characters" roughly and probably a lot of the same stories (good example being how you get the origin story of Batman or Spider-Man every. single. time).

I don't think for a hot minute that they ran to the press with "Buffy is going to be black now", which is basically the thread connecting all media on this announcement, only to turn around and say "well, no, she's not Buffy, she's just a new Slayer in different stories in that same setting." Think that's pollyanna nonsense, is what that is. If she's Buffy, than in this new story, SMG ain't, and with her NB ain't Xander, Aly ain't Willow, etc, etc.

vampmogs
22-07-18, 02:22 AM
People have been correct to point out though that the original Deadline article states that it's going to be a "new Slayer" and then subsequent articles have then stated that they'll actually be recasting Buffy. From what I've gathered, Deadline was given the original scoop all the other articles have been more or less copying from each other.

As I said yesterday, it's probably just wishful thinking on my part. I'd much prefer a story about a new Slayer and not a reboot of Buffy's story. But I think we'll have to wait for some clarification. I do think that they're trying to cash in on the "Buffy" name so in all likelihood it will just be a remake starring someone new as "Buffy" but it's also possible that the confusion has stemmed from them wanting to make sure people realise that this is a Buffyverse story. I would've thought that Joss would be much happier having them create a new story about a new Slayer then remaking his original story. But maybe he's just decided to join them because he knows it'd be inevitable anyway.

KingofCretins
22-07-18, 02:31 AM
Honestly, given how the roll-out has gone, I think they are stuck recasting or having it land with a wet thud of public scorn and protest that they somehow averted a black actress playing the title character. I'm guessing they'd be much, much more likely to appease that sentiment than worrying about whether or not fans of the outgoing iteration feel an affinity for it.

Interestingly, let's say you get your wish -- if 8-12 are to be recognized as a continuous canon, than they've got a lot of mythological hustling to do to get us through the Reckoning and into a setting where Fray's history is averted so sharply that there is still a contemporary Slayer who isn't Buffy or Faith. And/or the latter of the two perhaps being killed to make it happen. That, or the Reckoning has already been decanonized along with who knows what else before it's even finished publication. I haven't been opposed to that for a while; my own daydreams of a continuation have involved just a rough pencil sketch of Season 8's pre-Lion plot and nothing after as the basis. But it did just occur to me, in order for this show to ever be a continuation, there's a good chance that the very mini we're following right now is already in the circular file.

vampmogs
22-07-18, 02:40 AM
Honestly, I don't think there'd be much public scorn at all. I am not exaggerating when I say that I am yet to see a single comment praising or supporting this idea anywhere. Not on forums, news site comment sections, Twitter, Youtube comments etc. Nada. All I have seen is either fans of the original refusing to accept anyone other than SMG in the role or POC actually saying that they consider it offensive that instead of creating a new original Slayer to represent them they are just race-swapping Buffy instead. I've also seen a handful of comments from black people expressing concern about pitting a new black actress against the inevitable harsh comparisons to SMG.

Obviously I’m sure there are people out there who are happy about this. They must exist. But I think the overwhelming majority of people would be much happier with a new character being created. I think if they were to announce that then the reception to the reboot would turn much more positive.

If they were to set the story post-Chosen with a brand new Slayer then, yeah, I think the comics will pretty much be forgotten about. The same way Disney ditched all the Star Wars comics. Hardly anyone is even aware the comic exists and even less people read them. Joss already said back in 2008, when the comics were actually much more successful, that he'd abandon the comics canon if he had to, to tell the story on screen again. I think they'd either just ignore them entirely or that the Reckoning will end with some major reset (which is possible given the time travelling theme of the season) so that comic readers will at least be appeased that the story addressed why they're no longer being considered.

bespangled
22-07-18, 02:51 AM
I posted a few links on the difference between a reboot and a remake in the other thread - thought it was important since NB was so quick to point out that this is a reboot and not a remake. Essentially a reboot is bringing a franchise back to life but it can be completely different. One example used was Mad Max: Fury Road that had an all new story with almost none of the main characters from the original world. Max was played by a different actor, and he was a side note. To recap: A reboot is defined by those in the industry as a complete rebranding of a specific title or IP. A remake is defined as a complete retelling of the same story and characters that a studio buys the rights to

Reboot seems to cover a lot of ground - but one way of rebooting the franchise would be to have a slayer named after the original Buffy. Since the uproar seems to be about casting another Buffy to reimage the old one, I am hoping this is the way they'll deal.

Stoney
22-07-18, 04:02 AM
If they were just ditching the comic continuation completely I think they would have just stopped at S11. Although, to be honest, as it currently seems that they undid a couple of the main storylines of the comics over the last three seasons as part of what they are doing in this final mini it feels like they have somewhat abandoned the canon of the comics to steer it towards whatever conclusion works better for what is coming next. This seems to be the impetus to S12, or it is so that Joss feels the comics are all pulled together with this Fray mix up of the final season. It's a bit redundant imo to take 'time' to create a bridging story if you are deliberately undoing major plots within that without giving the development shifts the explanations that undoing big chunks of what has come before should get. But unless S12 draws a reset to the end of the shows so that they can continue from there, I can't see any reason why they would be abandoning the comic continuation as a necessity for the reboot. But the existence of the bridging season of course doesn't abandon it but creates a time loop to tell an alternate from whatever determined point.

In the very little we've heard I've not gained the impression the reboot is looking to recast for Buffy but pick up from the existing canon and continue that story. I can see that they could take another slayer's story post Chosen and follow it, but the whole aspect of 'recasting' for Buffy doesn't really work with that, if that is what happens. Assuming it is a new 'Buffy' a reimagining of the whole thing would probably work better rather than trying to say it follows on from any of the previous original canon story from whatever point of the show and/or comics.

DanSlayer
22-07-18, 04:14 AM
If they were just ditching the comic continuation completely I think they would have just stopped at S11. Although, to be honest, as it currently seems that they undid a couple of the main storylines of the comics over the last three seasons as part of what they are doing in this final mini it feels like they have somewhat abandoned the canon of the comics to steer it towards whatever conclusion works better for what is coming next. This seems to be the impetus to S12, or it is so that Joss feels the comics are all pulled together with this Fray mix up of the final season. It's a bit redundant imo to take 'time' to create a bridging story if you are deliberately undoing major plots within that without giving the development shifts the explanations that undoing big chunks of what has come before should get. But unless S12 draws a reset to the end of the shows so that they can continue from there, I can't see any reason why they would be abandoning the comic continuation as a necessity for the reboot. But the existence of the bridging season of course doesn't abandon it but creates a time loop to tell an alternate from whatever determined point.

Boom will be in an odd situation. They won't want to reference years of another's company's stories but it wouldn't make much sense to try and reboot the comics back to post Chosen/NFA either. DH got lucky in that the Fall was more or less a giant reset in of itself so it was easier to work in. Unless they do something similar to the High School Years route and show us new stories that take place during the shows. I'm not sure but I believe the new Serenity story is in the past, before any of the DH stories take place?

ETA: Not to mention by this time next year both Boom and Buffy will probably be with Disney.

flow
22-07-18, 03:22 PM
Does anyone think it`s possible, that the new black Slayer`s story will start somewhere post-Chosen or post-NFA or maybe even post-season12 and she simply is called Buffy either coincidentally or maybe because her family is in some way connected to the original Buffy and she was deliberately named after her? She could be related to Rona for instance or to Olivia or to Robin.

flow

HardlyThere
22-07-18, 07:01 PM
I posted a few links on the difference between a reboot and a remake in the other thread - thought it was important since NB was so quick to point out that this is a reboot and not a remake. Essentially a reboot is bringing a franchise back to life but it can be completely different. One example used was Mad Max: Fury Road that had an all new story with almost none of the main characters from the original world. Max was played by a different actor, and he was a side note. To recap: A reboot is defined by those in the industry as a complete rebranding of a specific title or IP. A remake is defined as a complete retelling of the same story and characters that a studio buys the rights to

Reboot seems to cover a lot of ground - but one way of rebooting the franchise would be to have a slayer named after the original Buffy. Since the uproar seems to be about casting another Buffy to reimage the old one, I am hoping this is the way they'll deal.

Reboots can happen at different places, too. They could wipe out 6 and 7 and have the character pick up after Buffy dies.

It does sound like a remake from what I've read most places. Also I'd have to think, given the near universal backlash, they'd clarify it if recasting Buffy wasn't their intention.

Priceless
22-07-18, 07:09 PM
It does sound like a remake from what I've read most places. Also I'd have to think, given the near universal backlash, they'd clarify it if recasting Buffy wasn't their intention.

Why would they want to clarify anything, when they are getting so much publicity right now. I imagine a publicist would say let the story run for as long as possible before we give any more details :)

HardlyThere
22-07-18, 07:15 PM
Why would they want to clarify anything, when they are getting so much publicity right now. I imagine a publicist would say let the story run for as long as possible before we give any more details :)

To stop the publicity bleed. The days of all publicity being good publicity are over. Notoriety is easy to obtain thanks to social media. Getting the correct story is more important.

Priceless
22-07-18, 07:23 PM
To stop the publicity bleed. The days of all publicity being good publicity are over. Notoriety is easy to obtain thanks to social media. Getting the correct story is more important.

Perhaps you're right, but I think the headline 'A Black Buffy' is more saleable than 'We're rebooting Buffy but it won't be Buffy, it'll be set in the same verse but with a different slayer'. It's all about the soundbites

Shade of Pale
23-07-18, 10:14 AM
Do we know whether the Angel comics will also be at Boom ? If they were to stay at Dark Horse, for example, it might explain the reasoning behind some of the storyline choices for Season 12.

Priceless
23-07-18, 10:51 AM
Do we know whether the Angel comics will also be at Boom ? If they were to stay at Dark Horse, for example, it might explain the reasoning behind some of the storyline choices for Season 12.

I hadn't thought of that, and it does make sense. I haven't read about the Angel comics anywhere. I wonder if they have run out of licence too, but no one has picked them up as yet?

Stoney
23-07-18, 01:20 PM
I've just seen this (http://www.syfy.co.uk/news/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-is-getting-a-reboot) announcement by SYFY about the reboot. It may say exactly the same as all the others and it was a couple of days ago so it may have even been linked already, apologies if it is no different/or a repeat. What stood out to me, why I'm posting, is that it states within the short announcement, "Breen's new script features a black actress playing the role of Buffy made famous by Sarah Michelle Gellar.". I've not heard anyone say before that it has been stated that it would be a new script. It could be inaccurate, or turn out to be somewhat inaccurate, of course.

Priceless
23-07-18, 02:06 PM
I've just seen this (http://www.syfy.co.uk/news/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-is-getting-a-reboot) announcement by SYFY about the reboot. It may say exactly the same as all the others and it was a couple of days ago so it may have even been linked already, apologies if it is no different/or a repeat. What stood out to me, why I'm posting, is that it states within the short announcement, "Breen's new script features a black actress playing the role of Buffy made famous by Sarah Michelle Gellar.". I've not heard anyone say before that it has been stated that it would be a new script. It could be inaccurate, or turn out to be somewhat inaccurate, of course.

I automatically assumed that it would all be newly scripted, though based on the original. To bring it upto date, there would have to be new scripts. Which is what worries me - Buffy dialogue was singular and fun, it Breen can't do that (or one of her writers can't) then that's worrying

goten-kun
23-07-18, 02:26 PM
Do you think that reboot has something to do with this short and last season 12 ?

A 4 issues season finale was surprising, but now, with this new tv show, we can understand why they wanted to do that, because of this reboot.

Priceless
23-07-18, 02:35 PM
Do you think that reboot has something to do with this short and last season 12 ?

A 4 issues season finale was surprising, but now, with this new tv show, we can understand why they wanted to do that, because of this reboot.

I think Joss felt he needed to 'finish' this version of Buffy before he could move on to another. But we also know that the Buffy title has moved from Dark Horse comics to BOOM, so we don't know if there will be more Buffy comics and if they will be canon or not. Everything seems up in the air right now.

DanSlayer
23-07-18, 02:52 PM
I hadn't thought of that, and it does make sense. I haven't read about the Angel comics anywhere. I wonder if they have run out of licence too, but no one has picked them up as yet?

In the since deleted part of the IGN article about Firefly, they made reference to Boom! also picking up Buffy and Angel comics as well.

goten-kun
23-07-18, 02:55 PM
OK, thanks.
So, we can already think Buffyverse canon will end with this season 12 ...

Too bad, this season seems to be scamped. Too much things to get a closure, a real closure.

HardlyThere
23-07-18, 02:57 PM
Since Fox owns it, it's reasonable to presume all their entities will go to BOOM once licenses expire. That is unless another company wants to pay more money to keep them.

Serves Joss right for the crap he pulled on IDW.

DeepBlueJoy
23-07-18, 03:26 PM
Buffy the next generation or bust.

There are two successful restarts of universes out there. One is Star Trek. The other is Battlestar Galactica... and my understanding is that the new BSG is way more successful than the original. For me, the preference (as many of you know) is a continuing story -- one that respects 'our' Buffy and that would allow for cameos or even supporting roles of some of our older characters.

The other is very problematic, especially this close to the original. To tell the story again, but with significant differences. To basically rewrite the universe. I don't see it becoming a successful Battlestar Galactica type redo... because the comics have been a thoroughgoing disappointment, and this whole thing just smells craven.

Also... the original really WAS groundbreaking the way Star Trek was groundbreaking. It is one of a kind.

The old BSG just wasn't that good, from what I remember of it.

BSG: the new version was very well thought out, well done and deeply invested in. It scaled up the entire universe and created a world and a back story as well. And of course, there are still some people who felt hurt by what followed the original.

I think OUR Buffy was that reboot of the original movie. Now, it's time to tell the stories that came afterwards.

I think the truth is that we (the fandom as a whole) no longer trust Joss. And that means his getting support for anything from the fandom is gonna be hard. A huge number of people I know who love Buffy, considered the comics a debacle of the first order. The stories, the art, the disrespect for Buffy as a character... the over the top story lines that were rooted in ego, not creativity... all made them a disappointment.

So a new show from the people who brought us that... AND one that tears down our beloved Buffy, the original series? Not really eager.

If the new show stands on its own, it will get new fans and slowly draw in some of us, but the way they've chosen to sever us (not giving us any of our favorites in a follow on or simply respecting them by letting their work stand and creating a new generation) they are breaking free of us, our love, our support and our expectations. Guess they have decided they don't need us. I feel the same way. I don't need their new show either.

They seem bent on ignoring the fandom. That is a dangerous road to go down. This is not one of those teen shows they tried to reboot about 10 years ago (all of which failed) -- this is a landmark series. There are a handful of series that actually changed TELEVISION.

Star Trek and Buffy are both on that very short list.

BTW: as a black person, I would love to see a black slayer head up a new show. Recasting Buffy as a black woman seems to both disrespect SMG AND diminish the power of a black slayer leading the fight against the forces of darkness.

incidentally, were I casting a slayer, (not a Buffy) I'd much prefer someone like Nicole Beharrie or the girl who played her sister Lyndie Greenwood (Sleepy Hollow) -- but they are probably too old for what they are planning, as both are in their thirties and look it. But, they both have the emotional and physical power to carry something like a 'slayer'.

I've watched the Netflix Punisher -- another 'updated' version of the character -- and it's really drawn me in. I think it is too soon, and frankly, the Buffy we know too definitive for that 'update' treatment... but a new series needs that kind of immediacy and power. And therefore OLDER characters... maybe college kids, or people just starting their careers... The world is complex. A modern show needs to recognize that. And not try to go back to a new hellmouth somewhere... and call some unfortunate brown girl Buffy so she can fail and disappoint us all.

It is the respect of the old canon that has allowed the folks at Star Trek to grow from strength to strength with all those series that built up hundreds of years of lore and even went back to do back story.

Yes, all these years later, they have made movies about a new cast, but that is far, far past the original, and the people who are coming up now who aren't fans probably barely know about TOS (which is also hugely dated). Many fans I know ignore them. When i do my watch through of the series, I watch all the TV shows, and all the original movies with the TV casts. (I have not seen the latest TV iteration, b/c putting it behind a paywall really annoyed me and I am not big on paying for yet another TV service.

Anyway, if they were remaking Buffy from scratch 20 years from now, I would probably feel more sanguine.

But... I'd feel very sanguine about a continuation at ANY point. Excited, even!! Most of us wanted a Buffy continuation series after Buffy ended... A Faith the vampire slayer, or slayer school... you remember all those fanfic series that all seemed to follow those directions b/c they seemed so very obvious as follow ons. (That is how I got into fandom, btw, I came looking for fanfic continuing the story of Buffy and Co after the shows went off the air)

Most of us would have been fine with a continuation, even one that never had ANY of the previous actors in it. As long as it's well thought out and respects the seven years of TV show as canon and FOUNDATIONAL, and SMG as Buffy. (even SMG Buffy pretended to be a continuation of Kristy's Swanson's Buffy -- it was a loose continuation, but basically, that is what they did)

The only way I'd accept a new Buffy is if she was 'Buffy in a new body' (reincarnated or respawned like Dr. Who) (a story on Elysian Fields right now is doing that really well!!)

I would even love to see any of these:

A show about Nikki Wood, set in the 70s, or a story about any of the slayers before Buffy. There's a lot of times that offer ideas -- period dramas from historic points in the 20th century or even earlier -- the origins of the slayer, even! All of that would be ripe for a slayer series... something set in the WWI era of Downton Abbey -- with all the change of those times. Something set in the era of WWII. Something set in the era of the post Buffy time... with slayers arising in the US military... and having all sorts of complex stuff when it turns out that they're serving in a war zone and performing better than their male counterparts.

I guess we still have fanfic for that.

I once read a noir fic about a Kennedy that had gone back in time -- was very well done. There is so much imagination that they could explore within our Buffyverse without smashing the old and abandoning us fans... no... without defecating on the old and smashing the fan's faces in it...

Do they hate us so much? What did we do but make them succeed? Make them popular? Make them loved? Guess that's not enough anymore?!

signed,

Pissed off in BuffyLand.

PS: if they're stupid enough to reboot actual Buffy as 'the' new Buffy, do they really think they can reboot Buffyspeak? Are they going to try to reinvent it? Ignore it? A huge portion of what made the original series original was the way the characters talked... it was intelligently written and incredibly funny and touching. Let us see them top Anya's speech in the Body, or Xander's in Potential... or pretty much any of Buffy's quips for the entire series... No, they cannot redo Spike. Or Giles. I don't think they should test that theory.

KingofCretins
23-07-18, 04:12 PM
I don't think they'll need to reinvent every character because they could full and well redesign her setting from the ground up and I expect that, to some extent, they will do exactly that.

-- I'm guessing crosses and holy water will be out -- classic imagery or not, I'm guessing Joss has always resented that it implied a metaphysical, tangible reality to the Christian God in his universe. It does become far less relied upon beyond the first few seasons, doubt it was an accident.
-- Dusting/melting/Thanosing of vampires will stay, because it was only ever put in as a storytelling contrivance so there would be no need to spend Act IV hiding the bodies. Granted, TVD spent 8-9 seasons dealing with that by having someone walk into a scene, usually Damon, declaring they'd gotten rid of the bodies, and it did create storytelling possibilities in the discovery of said bodies (Season 1 did that to powerful effect), but I'm guessing it will remain. Speaking of Spike, I just checked and Ian Somerhalder is only 3 years older than Marsters was when he first aired as Spike. Could God's Freakin' Gift to Humanity monopolize vampire bad boys forever?

I woudn't be surprised if the template of Buffy's social circle and her non-Slayer backstory get a full rewrite -- instead of airhead-but-sweet popular not-quite-mean girl turns Slayer, maybe she was something else complete. A bookworm. A jock. A delinquent. The world is their oyster. I floated turning her single parent home from her mother to her father, and her mystical mentor from a man to a woman. But her friends may change completely as well, either in template for a nominal "Xander" and "Willow" or just totally new characters. Maybe she'll have a sister named Willow and a black lab named Xander, etc.

Stoney
23-07-18, 04:17 PM
I automatically assumed that it would all be newly scripted, though based on the original. To bring it upto date, there would have to be new scripts. Which is what worries me - Buffy dialogue was singular and fun, it Breen can't do that (or one of her writers can't) then that's worrying

Oh, I think this is interpretation on my part then. When someone says 'new scripts' I hear 'original scripts'. I wouldn't have used 'new' for refreshed/edited/revamped existing stories. It's probably my false assumption. :)

flow
23-07-18, 04:19 PM
DeepBlueJoy
A show about Nikki Wood, set in the 70s, or a story about any of the slayers before Buffy.

Yesss, I would be all on board for that!

DeepBlueJoy
Do they hate us so much? What did we do but make them succeed? Make them popular? Make them loved? Guess that's not enough anymore?!

Nothing has been confirmed yet about the story. It is still possible, that the new show will continue from season12 on, leaving BtVS, AtS and the comics so far intact and canonical.

It is also possible, that they will wipe the slate clean and start all over with someone who is called Buffy but has a completely different backstory, completely different pals and completely different Big Bads and the only connenction to the Buffyverse as we know it will be the same mythology. If they do that, it would not interfere with the original series and the comics continuation. We would simply have two different Buffyverses based on the same mythology.

It is also still possible, that they will go back in time and tell the story of a Slayer from the past. But considering, that Joss already has another series going on with superchicks and set in the past, this option seems most unlikely to me.

Still - let`s give them the benefit of the doubt. Let`s wait, til we know more about what they really want to do. The only thing, that would really piss me off at this point would be a show with a Buffy and a Willow and a Xander and a Giles set in Sunnydale in the year 2018.

flow

Silver1
23-07-18, 04:59 PM
Could God's Freakin' Gift to Humanity monopolize vampire bad boys forever?

Oh Yes. :D

TriBel
23-07-18, 05:21 PM

I agree. TBH, I think fandom overestimates the relevance of BtVS - not in terms of its importance in shaping popular culture but to individuals in general. I always take it as a given my students have seen it but often, while they're aware of it, they've never watched it. Some of the cultural references are dated. There are current fans who didn't realise "Who ya gonna call" was a flag to Ghost Busters. Ideologically and technologically, the 90s were a different era and there have been shifts in Gay, Civil and Women's Rights. You couldn't simply reproduce it.

KingofCretins
23-07-18, 05:41 PM
Oh Yes. :D

That's a strongly endorsed since you didn't even abandon ship at the "Lost" reference.

Of course, in all seriousness, I'd be cool with it but you know he'd basically play him as Damon, which would complete the circle entirely since in hindsight I think the novel versions of the Salvatores quickly began informing Buffy's vampbois and that the TVD actors probably looked more than a little at DB/JM, and then to have Ian play Spike as Damon would pretty much be the "hold the door" of vampire fiction.

Stoney
23-07-18, 07:57 PM
I enjoyed Somerhalder as Damon but haven't seen him in anything else. I'd say he lacks the ability to portray a myriad of emotions with subtlety and skill to be honest. But hey, that could be the change in the character, making Spike two dimensional. :confused3: :thud: :p

I'd really rather Spike doesn't appear at all in the reboot if it's a remaking rather than a reimagining using new characters. I'm going to give anything they do the chance of course, so that I'm not just being all 'knee-jerk' reaction. I just don't see why sticking tightly to the original would be the better choice when it is such a well loved verse and the incredible casting is one of the things they benefited from nailing so well the first time. I'm willing to eat my hat if they go down that route and it's incredibly well done. It's just an uphill challenge when they could just take a tangent and it be safer and, possibly, receive a more positive response from fandom (I've no idea how well the idea is going down because I don't read around).

BAF
26-07-18, 08:37 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/960779-buffy-reboot-will-follow-new-slayer-showrunner-confirms

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms
The black actress lead will be a new Slayer character

By Grant Hermanns ON July 26, 2018

http://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2018/07/buffy-reboto-2.jpg

Buffy reboot will follow new slayer, showrunner confirms

It was officially announced last week that the hit WB series Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment at Fox with a black actress leading the series! Fan reaction as mixed at first as it was initially seen as though Sarah Michelle Gellar’s portrayal would be replaced. However, new showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen (Alias) has just confirmed that the new series will not be replacing Gellar in the titular role, but rather will focus on a new slayer.

“For some genre writers it’s Star Wars. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars,” Owusu-Breen wrote in a tweet. “Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons, I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight and struggle and slay. There is only ONE Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel…They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to. But here we are, twenty years later…And the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer…And that’s all I can say.”

Owusu-Breen’s previous credits in the TV world include the J.J. Abrams espionage thriller Alias, mystery-drama Lost and sci-fi drama Fringe, as well as the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters and Marvel series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The reboot’s network is currently unknown, given that the original series ran on The WB and UPN, both of which are now defunct, and that the rights to the franchise are owned by 20th Century Fox.

A follow-up to the Whedon-penned Buffy the Vampire Slayer feature film, the Buffy TV series ran from 1997 to 2003 for seven seasons. The series starred Sarah Michelle Gellar in the title role alongside Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Charisma Carpenter, Anthony Stewart Head, David Boreanaz, Seth Green, James Marsters, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson, and Kristine Sutherland. Since its conclusion, the series has continued in comic book form, with some of the characters continuing their journey in the Angel spin-off series. There was previously a feature film reboot of the property in development at Warner Bros., but it failed to materialize.

So this isn't a reboot from the sound of it but a legacy/revival sequel series.A new character as the Slayer.

Silver1
26-07-18, 08:39 PM
oh thank god! :lol:

BAF
26-07-18, 09:52 PM
Some more links to articles about this news.

Buffy Showrunner Addresses Reboot Concerns: It’s ‘Time to Meet a New Sl…

Buffy reboot showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen issues a statement about her love of the original series while teasing something new for the franchise.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-showrunner-addresses-reboot-concerns-its-time-to-meet-a-new-slayer/

Buffy Reboot: Showrunner Shares Details on New Slayer After Backlash

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/26/buffy-reboot-showrunner-shares-details-on-new-slayer-after-backlash

The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ Reboot May Follow A New Slayer

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-new-slayer/

New Buffy showrunner clarifies reboot reports, says its time for ‘a new Slayer’

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/new-buffy-showrunner-clarifies-reboot-reports-says-its-time-for-a-new-slayer

KingofCretins
27-07-18, 02:34 AM
I think this was an abort procedure, not the plan, they were far too circumspect at first roll-out for this not to be a quick reaction change. Of course, I also think IHOP was not in any way kidding about IHOB and just changed their mind.

HardlyThere
27-07-18, 03:14 AM
Yup. They'd have been way more clear if it was the plan all along.

Silver1
27-07-18, 06:57 AM
Aww bless. :lol:

https://s33.postimg.cc/dcu4gtwv3/spike_02jgf.jpg