PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay, to buy the Buffy season 8 Omnibus ?

flow
01-07-18, 09:14 AM
This question came up in the Random Buffy Related Thoughts thread, but I don`t know, if everybody reads in there, therefore I am going to ask again:

I want to get season 8 of the comocs. Yes, I am late, I know.

I want don`t want them as digital Editions. i am old School, I need to turn the pages.

I found out, that there are Library Editions, but obviously at least one of the four volumes of season 8 seems to be hard to get. Then there are the TPB`s, but I would need eight volumes and I am not sure they are all available.

Finally there is the Omnibus volume 1 and 2. I could get both on amazon for less than 50 Euros, which seems to be the easiest and cheapest way. Even if I would still get all the TPB`s, it would be including shipping to Germany, probably more than that.

Therefore my question is: Do I miss anything, if I get the Omnibus collection instead of the TPB`s ?

flow

TriBel
01-07-18, 09:46 AM
This question came up in the Random Buffy Related Thoughts thread, but I don`t know, if everybody reads in there, therefore I am going to ask again:

I want to get season 8 of the comocs. Yes, I am late, I know.

I want don`t want them as digital Editions. i am old School, I need to turn the pages.

I found out, that there are Library Editions, but obviously at least one of the four volumes of season 8 seems to be hard to get. Then there are the TPB`s, but I would need eight volumes and I am not sure they are all available.

Finally there is the Omnibus volume 1 and 2. I could get both on amazon for less than 50 Euros, which seems to be the easiest and cheapest way. Even if I would still get all the TPB`s, it would be including shipping to Germany, probably more than that.

Therefore my question is: Do I miss anything, if I get the Omnibus collection instead of the TPB`s ?

flow

Oh...those omnibuses. I was going to get these myself when the first came out but TBH I didn't pay much more for the 4 Library Editions. I was of the impression that these collected the Library Editions (so Vol 1 & 2 are in Omnibus 1/ Vol 3 & 4 are in Omnibus 2).

"This oversized omnibus edition is one of two volumes that will contain the entirety of Season 8. It includes the first four arcs of the series along with one-shots and short stories written by Joss Whedon, Brian K. Vaughan, Drew Goddard, and Jeph Loeb, with art by the acclaimed Georges Jeanty, as well as Karl Moline, Paul Lee, Cliff Richards, and more". Not sure whether oversized refers to dimension or length? It says 592 pages (big for a paper back!). Library Edition Vol 1 & 2 have 302/318 pages so there's a shortfall of 28 pages. This could mean they don't have all the sketches/covers etc but story-wise I think they'd be complete (so include the one-shots - as it says above). I'm guessing these omnibuses are actually a collection of the TPB rather than the Lib.Editions but possibly the same dimensions as the LibEd?

Vampire in Rug
01-07-18, 11:23 AM
I haven’t touched the omnibuses myself, but generally the purpose of an omnibus is that it includes the whole story. Certainly it would have the entirety of the main season 8 title, I’d imagine it would include the Willow and Riley oneshots. The only thing it might maybe, maybe be missing is the TotV oneshot, but that is included in the Tales omnibus.

Probably won’t include the sketches that were in the library editions. Did the library editions include anything else worthwhile? I just collected the trades.

HardlyThere
01-07-18, 12:58 PM
Library editions had unadorned covers and more extensive sketches, I believe. For S8, anyway.

DH's site says the Omnibus will exclude the sketchbooks. The Library editions seem like the most bang, but if all you want is story, the omnibuses have all of that.

flow
01-07-18, 06:54 PM
Okay, I just ordered them via amazon.

flow

Priceless
01-07-18, 07:10 PM
Okay, I just ordered them via amazon.

flow

The omnibus ones?

flow
01-07-18, 07:26 PM
Yes, volume one and two for about 46 Euros. Shipping included. I thought that was quite a bargain, therefore I ordered the Spike Omnibus on top of it :lol:

Unfortunately there is no Omnibus for season nine. I will have to go for the TPB`s from then on.

If anyone wants to get rid of TPB`s for season nine to eleven, please don`t throw them in the bin, but send me a pm.

flow

TriBel
01-07-18, 07:44 PM
Yes, volume one and two for about 46 Euros. Shipping included. I thought that was quite a bargain, therefore I ordered the Spike Omnibus on top of it :lol:

Unfortunately there is no Omnibus for season nine. I will have to go for the TPB`s from then on.

If anyone wants to get rid of TPB`s for season nine to eleven, please don`t throw them in the bin, but send me a pm.

flow

I've got S8, S9 and Angel/Faith - all Library Editions. I've also got Tales of the Slayers/Vampires in the same format. S10 Library Eds are on order (only vol 1/2 have been announced as yet). The prices for the earlier ones are astronomical. I bought all mine 12 months ago - I only paid 10 for a couple of them.

Stoney
02-07-18, 01:18 AM
You might have to go for the library editions for S10 as it was the TPB vol 6 that I just had great difficulty finding and was clearly lucky to locate it. Although I think there were some editions written in German available on ebay, but I've no idea if the whole season's volumes would be easy to find in that version. :s Is that what you normally buy? If they are easily locatable TPBs generally seem to cost about 10-15 each, so a full season can end up costing around the same as the library editions.

Dark Horse did eventually answer the message I sent to them when I found S10 vol 6 had become rare/exorbitant by saying the library editions for S10 would come out 2018 (I think vol 3 comes out Nov 18), but they had no current plans to reprint the TPBs for S10. I'd definitely recommend sourcing and buying a season all together if you can rather than risk finding the last one you need has become hard to get. I've no idea about how readily available the TPBs for S9 are as I bought the individual issues that season and for S11.

DanSlayer
02-07-18, 03:19 PM
The S8 omnibus will give you the first 4 arcs of S8 and the Willow one-shot. The 2nd omnibus will give you the latter 4 and the Riley one-shot so you'll be set for that season. As I told you before, getting a copy of Fray's one paperback is probably a good idea given an arc in S8 and if you wish to eventually get to S12. The S9 Library Editions will cover you there for everything should you get all 6 between Buffy and A & F. They also have Library Editions for Buffy S10 (3, latter two coming out later this year); but no plans to do so for A & F S10. The 2 S11 books plus Giles mini are so short you'll need paperbacks there, but they're recent so if you can maybe order them now? (I don't think Giles is even out in trade until September). The S12 The Reckoning will be in trade in December.

flow
03-07-18, 07:17 PM
I just ordered Fray. Thank you so much. It seems as if volume 6 of the TPB`s for season 6 is not available anymore or at the Moment, just like Stoney said. Therefore I will probably get the Library Editions for season 10 and the TPB`s for the rest of the seasons.

flow