PDA

View Full Version : The Sunnydale Herald Newsletter (is looking for new editors)

thenewbuzwuzz
08-06-18, 02:22 PM
I have two things to signal boost about the Sunnydale Herald Newsletter.

(1) It exists, just in case someone here hadn't noticed. :) It's a great place to get a broad overview of what's new in Buffyverse fandom: fic, art, meta, recs, episode reviews, articles and news, you name it, we probably link it. Here is the newsletter:
http://sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com
https://su-herald.livejournal.com/
https://su-herald.dreamwidth.org/

(2) The editor team is currently looking for 1-2 new members. I quote the official tumblr announcement (http://sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com/post/174406130654/the-sunnydale-herald-is-looking-for-new-editors):

"Hi All! The Sunnydale Herald is looking for up to two new editors. Days available are Sundays, Mondays, or Tuesdays . If you’re looking for a way to get involved with Buffy fandom, then the Herald is for you! Being an editor requires a commitment of one to three hours, one day a week, collecting relevant Buffyverse links and posting. We currently post on Tumblr, Livejournal, and Dreamwidth, and collect links from just about everywhere (don’t worry; with the magic of RSS, we make link-collecting easy.) Knowledge of HTML coding is helpful but not required.

If you’re interested, please send us an ask (http://sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com/ask) or PM!"

*Thursdays are an option, too.

If you can spare an evening a week, this could be your chance to make some satisfying lists, help other fans get heard, and learn more than you ever wanted to know (?) about what goes on in other corners of the fandom. Please consider if this is something you'd enjoy helping out with. :) We could really use more people.

ETA: To contact us, you can use the "send us an ask" link above or talk to Barb C. on any sites where you know her or via email: rahirah@centurylink.net.

Priceless
08-06-18, 05:12 PM
This great and looks amazing, but unfortunately I am technically challenged and would need a course on computer science to understand how the hell you do any of that. I see you have links to another forum (BB) within the Herald, do you link to Buffy Forum too?

flow
08-06-18, 05:31 PM
There are plenty of links to discussions here, Priceless and we both even get mentioned! Fame at last!

flow

thenewbuzwuzz
08-06-18, 06:07 PM
This great and looks amazing, but unfortunately I am technically challenged and would need a course on computer science to understand how the hell you do any of that. I see you have links to another forum (BB) within the Herald, do you link to Buffy Forum too?

It's easier than it looks. A great deal of the links come to us in a single feed, and we have a thing that helps structure and format the posts. Also, Barb C is really great at explaining this stuff to new editors.

Thanks for asking! We do link to BuffyForums. :) For example, in the June 7 post (http://sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com/post/174671430344/the-sunnydale-herald-newsletter-thursday-june-7) we linked to the "Positives and Negatives - S7" and "30 Days of Angel" threads, some podcast and vid recs, and you might recognize a few of the threads under our "Fandom Discussions: Other Web Link" section. ;)
The way I understand the choices of other editors, we link to BB regularly and to BF every once in a while because BB have an RSS feed. This makes it much easier for us to keep track of them day to day.
However, anyone's very welcome to submit any noteworthy BF links to us! Here's the How To: https://su-herald.livejournal.com/809000.html#rec (the email address should be with "centurylink" as above, and I believe a tumblr message would also work as another contact option).

Priceless
08-06-18, 06:10 PM
It's easier than it looks. A great deal of the links come to us in a single feed, and we have a thing that helps structure and format the posts. Also, Barb C is really great at explaining this stuff to new editors.

Thanks for asking! We do link to BuffyForums. :) For example, in the June 7 post (http://sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com/post/174671430344/the-sunnydale-herald-newsletter-thursday-june-7) we linked to the "Positives and Negatives - S7" and "30 Days of Angel" threads, some podcast and vid recs, and you might recognize a few of the threads under our "Fandom Discussions: Other Web Link" section. ;)
The way I understand the choices of other editors, we link to BB regularly and to BF every once in a while because BB have an RSS feed. This makes it much easier for us to keep track of them day to day.
However, anyone's very welcome to submit any noteworthy BF links to us! Here's the How To: https://su-herald.livejournal.com/809000.html#rec (the email address should be with "centurylink" as above, and I believe a tumblr message would also work as another contact option).

Thank you so much for this, it's very much appreciated. To show my level of ignorance, what is a RSS feed and how do we get one? :)

TriBel
08-06-18, 07:28 PM
Volunteer Pricey! You do it anyway. ;) RSS feed - this explains it. https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-rss-2483592

Are you and Google on a break? :p

thenewbuzwuzz
08-06-18, 07:33 PM
Thank you so much for this, it's very much appreciated. To show my level of ignorance, what is a RSS feed and how do we get one? :)

Um. :D It's a great question (it would certainly be convenient for us if you had one), but I'm not enough of a computer person to explain it well. It's a summary of site updates, and it can be read on other sites? Let Wikipedia (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Really_Simple_Syndication) speak for me:

"RSS is a family of Web feed formats used to publish often updated content such as blog entries, news headlines or podcasts. An RSS document, which is called a "feed," "web feed," or "channel," contains either a summary of content from an associated web site or the full text. RSS makes it possible for people to keep up with their favorite web sites in an automated manner that's easier than checking them manually.

RSS content can be read using software called an "RSS reader," "feed reader" or an "aggregator." The user subscribes to a feed by entering the feed's link into the reader or by clicking an RSS icon in a browser that begins the subscription process. The reader checks the user's subscribed feeds often for new content, downloading any updates that it finds."

I'll see if someone more technically inclined wants to get over here and talk about how people make RSS feeds.

Priceless
08-06-18, 07:57 PM
I think that the Buffy Forum would have to have a RSS Reader for it to work, and I can't attach one here, that would be a Mod thing wouldn't it?

TriBel I am on twitter and I like You Tube and listen to a lot of podcasts, that is the extent of my 'finger on the pulse of social media' :lol: Thank you for the RSS link.

Rahirah
08-06-18, 11:18 PM
Hi there! I'm Barb C/Rahirah, and if anyone here is interested in being an editor, we will absolutely show you the ropes from the ground up. :)

As for creating an RSS feed for this forum, I looked up the bulletin board software that runs this forum, and it looks as though the process for adding an RSS feed is this:

"To enable an RSS feed of your own forum's posts you must go to Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> External Data Provider -> Enable RSS Syndication.

You will then see a RSS icon next to each forum. clicking on it will give you the URL to the feed for that forum."

So it would have to be done by an administrator. If you do get one set up, we would be very happy to add it to our feed tracking list!

GoSpuffy
08-06-18, 11:25 PM
Hey mods we really need an RSS feed. As you know this is the definitive Buffy fan forum. I don't know what it is, how to get it, or where to put it but I'm totally on board to have one. Does it cost money?

Priceless
09-06-18, 01:47 PM
We really do need an RSS feed! Stoney or anyone who has any contact to a Mod, could you please tell them about this?

Silver1
09-06-18, 02:08 PM
Are there any active 'core mods' that still take an interest in this board? Years ago the place was swarming with them, and now nothing.

Priceless
09-06-18, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think the Mods are interested anymore. It's a shame. I wonder if they think to pass on their Mod authority to someone else who does regularly use the board? Or is that not a thing that's done - I know nothing about the rules of forums :confused:

flow
09-06-18, 02:17 PM
A mod can‘t do this. You need an admin.

ETA

thenewbuzzwuzz, thank you so much for the rec. I didn`t know about the Sunnydale Herald (I am still relatively new to fandom) and have bookmarked the page. I might submit a BF link once in a while in future.

Also thank you Rahirah, for explaining about the RSS feed. I am going to contact an admin, maybe we can convince them to set up a RSS feed.

flow

thenewbuzwuzz
18-03-19, 06:05 PM
Copying Rahirah's latest announcement:

It’s that time again!
Hi All!

The Sunnydale Herald is looking for new editors! No, we’re not losing anyone (not right this minute, anyway) but we’ve been running short-handed for quite awhile, and those of us who are currently handling two posting days a week would reeeeeally like a break, before someone DOES get burnt out and has to retire or go MAD, MAD I TELL YOU!

We have (potentially) openings on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, which are the days someone is currently doubling up on. Getting one or two more people on board would give our current hard-working editors a much needed break, and it would give YOU an opportunity to be part of the longest-running community project in Buffy fandom! The Herald has been bringing hand-crafted artisanal links to Buffy fandom since 2003, and with your help, it can keep doing so for many years to come.

If you’re interested, please contact me in any of the following ways:

Message rahirah on Livejournal, Pillowfort or Dreamwidth
Send an ask to @rahirah on Tumblr
Send an email to rahirah at centurylink dot net

WE want to work with YOU!

I'd like to add that we have simplified the posting template since we last asked, so making the newsletter posts is QUICKER and EASIER and YOU CAN DO IT. :D All an editor really *has* to do is check this harmless Dreamwidth feed (https://su-herald-reading.dreamwidth.org/read) once a week, copy-paste the decent Buffy links into one pre-formatted posting template, and copy-paste *that* to three sites.

(The newsletter itself is still at su_herald.dreamwidth.org, su_herald.livejournal.com, and sunnydaleherald.tumblr.com.)

Double Dutchess
18-03-19, 08:03 PM
My Helper Syndrome is telling me I should (also I think it will be fun and interesting) but I'm fighting against that, as I know I have no time for this...

I hope you manage to find someone soon!

Priceless
18-03-19, 08:12 PM
Same here . . . I'd love to help, but I am just not technically proficient enough. I'd need a three week training course to even attempt this :lol: But I'm sure you'll find someone actually competent :)

thenewbuzwuzz
18-03-19, 08:57 PM
Dutchess, tell your syndrome it's all right, I believe you that you don't have the time. :)

Same here . . . I'd love to help, but I am just not technically proficient enough. I'd need a three week training course to even attempt this :lol: But I'm sure you'll find someone actually competent :)
Priceless... you think you're joking, but I'm pretty sure we could arrange a three-week training course if that's what it takes. You need zero competence in order to give it a try! There's a reason we don't list any required skills in these announcements. :) I've seen Rahirah explain HTML in small words, she's darn good at it; and we have reference materials for new editors that can be studied at one's own pace. We make a test post first and get guidance based on that. Nobody has to start with real posts before they're ready.
As far as I've seen, it's harder to find people who have both the time and the willingness. Training, we can do. :)