PDA

View Full Version : Worst jokes in the Buffyverse

flow
27-05-18, 07:53 PM
I just started a thread about the best jokes in the Buffyverse. This thread is for the bad ones.

What are - in your opinion - the worst jokes in BtVS and AtS?

I am going to start with BtVS, season 6, Once More With Feeling:

Spike: "You`ve just come to pump me for information."
Buffy"What else would I wanna pump you for?"

Sorry, but that joke was lame.

flow

Priceless
27-05-18, 08:22 PM
Not sure if it was meant to be a joke, but when Faith says to Scott Hope about going to the doctors and getting some cream, and it'll clear up in a few weeks. It wasn't funny. Scott didn't break Buffy's heart, he knew Buffy didn't really want to be with him, Faith totally misread the situation and was just being mean.

Cheese Slices
27-05-18, 09:10 PM
Xander's "Buffy, I feel a pre-birthday spanking coming on" and all the super sexist/crass jokes he makes in the early seasons.

TriBel
27-05-18, 10:41 PM
I hate this - even though it has a point to make (it's from Real Me). I hate that Buffy genders the car. I hate that Giles complains because "she" is making a contribution and in doing so "she" makes him feel passive. I hate he gives this as a reason for discontinuing the relationship. I hate that he sexualises the car and I hate that Buffy "slut shames" it. I like that it gives us an insight into casual sexism (it's definitely NOT neutral) but I hate the fact that some fans just find it harmless and funny without recognizing its function. :bang:

The car engine races as Giles tries to shift.

GILES: Blast!
BUFFY: You put it in neutral again, huh?
GILES: I'm just not used to this automatic transmission. I-I loathe this sitting here, not contributing.

Shot of Dawn looking surprised.

GILES: No, i-it's not working out.
BUFFY: Giles, are you breaking up with your car?
GILES: Well, it did seduce me, all red and sporty!
BUFFY: Little two-door tramp.

:bleh:

Sosa lola
27-05-18, 11:09 PM
Okay, bunch of lame jokes I didn't find funny:

Xander: Well, it was dark! And the thing went through the window so
quick, and I was a... little shocked when I saw it, and...
Cordelia: Go ahead. Say it. You ran like a woman. (grins)

Xander: What about me? What can I do?
Cordelia: Well, you could go out to the parking lot and practice
running like a man.

BUFFY: I killed something in a convent last night.
XANDER: In any other room, a frightening declaration. Here, a welcome distraction. (Anya and Willow both look at him) Tell us all about the killing, Buff.
BUFFY: Pretty standard. Vampire staking. Ooh! But I met a nun, and she let me try on her wimple.
XANDER: Okay, now we're back to frightening.

SpuffyGlitz
27-05-18, 11:50 PM
Most of Xander's jokes were funny to me, cause he's usually pretty great at delivering humour.

Sometimes, Buffy's jokes fell flat (on occasion.) This one - "It's a sham. It's a yam-sham" felt a tiny bit forced.

Riley's "I'm here to violate your first born." That was cringey.

Sosa lola
28-05-18, 08:41 AM
I just remembered my least favorite joke ever, when Dawn says "Umad" in Tabula Rasa. It's probably the delivery but I cringed so hard when I heard it.

flow
28-05-18, 02:30 PM
SpuffyGlitz:

Riley's "I'm here to violate your first born." That was cringey.

I don`t remember that - when did he say it?

flow

vampmogs
28-05-18, 02:43 PM
I just remembered my least favorite joke ever, when Dawn says "Umad" in Tabula Rasa. It's probably the delivery but I cringed so hard when I heard it.

God yes! It's so stilted and weird. The acting, the pacing, the editing, it's all off in that moment. It's like it was a rough edit before they polished it up or something. So cringeworthy.

I find most of the jokes in Life Serial to be painfully unfunny - "You want slug? Go with slug! She's not gonna sleep with you anyway!"

I also admit to finding a lot of Xander's sexualised humour less funny the older I've got. I know it's already been mentioned but "Buffy, I feel a pre-birthday spanking coming on" is just a really weird line. His "does lap dancing factor into this at all? Because I find that very comforting" is also pretty bad. It's verging on harassment at times.

Riley says the "violate your first born" joke in Real Me.

TriBel
28-05-18, 03:05 PM
SpuffyGlitz:

I don`t remember that - when did he say it?

flow

As Vampmogs says, it's "Real Me" - the same scene when he makes your "favourite" remark: "RILEY: Oh, no, not at all. I'm plotting your death, but in a happy way. (Smiles)". It's a very revealing episode - and not just about Dawn.

Freud thought some jokes let out forbidden thoughts and feelings that the conscious mind usually suppresses in deference to society. Just sayin...

flow
28-05-18, 03:11 PM
I can`t believe, he makes those two remarks within five minutes. He has some serious issues.....

flow

Cheese Slices
28-05-18, 03:29 PM
I find most of the jokes in Life Serial to be painfully unfunny - "You want slug? Go with slug! She's not gonna sleep with you anyway!"

Ah, I kinda like this one.

I find most of the "funny" stuff in Gone pretty lame : the blinvisible joke, the pranks, etc... All pretty cringy.

DeepBlueJoy
28-05-18, 03:44 PM
I think we can get too uptight about stuff. I am the first person to call out sexism, ageism, and a whole lot of other isms... but sometimes I want to call this one out the most: kneejerkism... the tendency to get upset about every perceived mini slight or politically incorrect idea.

If we had no uncomfortable and incorrect ideas, we'd have no humor and no new stories... we'd be vanilla and there would be no place for insight or laughter. I'm not big on humor at the expense of others, but I do think humor is a valve for human discomfort and a way to say things that bother you without blowing up all the bridges. Sometimes the joke becomes a teachable moment, sometimes it just lets someone blow off steam...

But in the light of all that's going on now... with me too etc., I am concerned the circumscribing every tiny inappropriateness until we all live in our own little silo. We are cut off by human nastiness, but we can also be cut off from each other by the stepfordizing of every thought.

So, the jokes in Buffy... some are cringeworthy. So I will cringe, and move on.

btw: I check nearly ALL the boxes of things where people can be nasty about something about me.

I am gonna choose not to be upset about everything someone says about my hair, my sexuality, my beliefs... because, honestly, life is more fun without a chip on my shoulder.

My two cents.

Peace,

Blue

TriBel
28-05-18, 04:29 PM
So, the jokes in Buffy... some are cringeworthy. So I will cringe, and move on.

The point I was making is - I don't think the text always wants you to move on. Some jokes are deliberately coded as "hostile" to tell us something about the character. The Slug remark and the Yam pun are just playful asides that others feel don't hit the mark (I don't mind the slug comment). .

The example I quoted (for instance) and the Riley "jokes" are foreshadowing aspects of the character that won't be fully revealed until later. They're more than jokes and they're intended to be more than jokes.

DeepBlueJoy
28-05-18, 06:58 PM
The point I was making is - I don't think the text always wants you to move on. Some jokes are deliberately coded as "hostile" to tell us something about the character. The Slug remark and the Yam pun are just playful asides that others feel don't hit the mark (I don't mind the slug comment). .

The example I quoted (for instance) and the Riley "jokes" are foreshadowing aspects of the character that won't be fully revealed until later. They're more than jokes and they're intended to be more than jokes.

I totally agree the jokes are revelatory. The writing (not just the jokes) is very effective at showing 'a little leg', before the character opens up and shows their ugly. I just don't want to see everything nitpicked by political perfectionism to the point where we're all so humorless. i see this around me a lot lately, and it is getting tiresome. it also diminishes some of the big questions b/c after a certain point, people stop 'hearing' the complaints b/c everyone has a nitpick and an issue... and people feel like they're being attacked by the PC Lilliputians.

flow
01-06-18, 09:07 PM
A pretty bad joke was Willow comforting Spike, when he tried to bite her and couldn`t "perform", because of his chip.

They could have played that scene as a case of consensual biting. Then the sexual innuendo would have worked and Spike would have been the guy, who can`t get it. That would have been (a little bit) funny. JM and AH both actually deliver that in the scene. But at the same time they played the scene as a case of non-consensual biting. That made Willow comfort her attempted rapist for not "performing". And that wasn`t funny at all.

flow