PDA

View Full Version : Unusual ships?

GoSpuffy
22-05-18, 06:37 AM
Who could you see together that makes no sense? For example I really like Clem and there is no obvious pairing so I think " Clem and Tara" . Why not? Lol. Who can you see fitting together even though there is no canon to fuel it? I also really like Giles so I think "Ethan and Giles" looks good to me.

flow
22-05-18, 06:41 AM
Spike and Lydia !

flow

GoSpuffy
22-05-18, 06:47 AM
Spike and Lydia !

flow
I think Lydia might be better with Wesley.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 07:54 AM
I have been reading Xander/Spike for so long that I don't see it as unusual at all. :D I certainly don't see Ethan/Giles as unusual, in my headcanon, they did get together once in their youth.

An unusual pairing would be Gunn/Willow.... I just can't see it happening. I don't think I've ever see it written before. Another one would be Xander/Graham, that used to be popular way back in 2005 with three websites dedicated to it, and I'm so confused as to why it was so popular. I admit I enjoyed reading their fics. Snyder/Xander on the other hand was the crackiest ship ever.

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 08:14 AM
Snyder and anyone is an unusual pairing. I cannot see him with anyone.

What i like is when someone comes up with an odd or offbeat pairing that somehow works. Joyce/Spike (where there was never any buffy/spike) - was very well done. Wish i remembered where i had seen it.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 08:18 AM
Snyder and anyone is an unusual pairing. I cannot see him with anyone.

I've written a very short Xander/Snyder fic. It was a challenge in another board to write unlikely pairings. You can read it here (https://archiveofourown.org/works/9984302) if you dare.

Alce
22-05-18, 08:29 AM
Spike/Willow? It's completely nonsensical pairing now, but seeing that they are both immortals who knows, give it couple more centuries and it could work? ;)

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 08:50 AM
I have been reading Xander/Spike for so long that I don't see it as unusual at all. :D I certainly don't see Ethan/Giles as unusual, in my headcanon, they did get together once in their youth.

An unusual pairing would be Gunn/Willow.... I just can't see it happening. I don't think I've ever see it written before. Another one would be Xander/Graham, that used to be popular way back in 2005 with three websites dedicated to it, and I'm so confused as to why it was so popular. I admit I enjoyed reading their fics. Snyder/Xander on the other hand was the crackiest ship ever.

I have read a lot of spike/xander - i tend to get off the bus when it gets heavy into kink or vampire politics. I'm not big on those in any pairing. I like graham and almost always want to read good stories about him. Have hardly seen graham/xander, but i could definitely enjoy it more than say xander/riley. I dont hate riley but he needs to be played true to his limits if he is used. I think he would have been good for faith tho... :D

- - - Updated - - -

No gunn and willow! Just... Not a. Good. Fit.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Lydia might be better with Wesley.

Hmmm. Never seen that. I have seen various iterations of spike/lydia including spike rejecting her.

- - - Updated - - -

Who could you see together that makes no sense? For example I really like Clem and there is no obvious pairing so I think " Clem and Tara" . Why not? Lol. Who can you see fitting together even though there is no canon to fuel it? I also really like Giles so I think "Ethan and Giles" looks good to me.

Blinks. Can't see it, both are nice and sweet tho. :D

- - - Updated - - -

It is a testimony ti how long and how well traveled some of us are that unusual is so hard to find. I think my most unusual to read is probably Spike copulating with desk. That was hysterical!

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 08:52 AM
I have read a lot of spike/xander - i tend to get off the bus when it gets heavy into kink or vampire politics. I'm not big on those in any pairing. I like graham and almost always want to read good stories about him. Have hardly seen graham/xander, but i could definitely enjoy it more than say xander/riley. I dont hate riley but he needs to be played true to his limits if he is used. I think he would have been good for faith tho... :D

All the Xander/Graham websites no longer exist sadly, but I found a Graham Slash website here (http://bigguns.slashdom.net/stories/authors.html) with Graham paired with mostly Xander, Riley and Spike. There's a Xander/Spike/Graham threesome fic as well.

I love Riley, but I've never enjoyed Xander/Riley. I don't know why, but it never clicked for me. Perhaps because all their fics are bubble-gum cute with no conflict at all and it's just boring.

Priceless
22-05-18, 10:15 AM
I like the idea of Riley/Angel, but I've only read fluff about them, nothing serious, which I would love if anyone wants to writer it? :) I just like the idea of these two, they are very evenly matched, very strict in their views.

I would like to also see Riley/Harmony because they are so very different, I can't even imagine them getting together. How would that happen?

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 10:31 AM
I like the idea of Riley/Angel, but I've only read fluff about them, nothing serious, which I would love if anyone wants to writer it? :) I just like the idea of these two, they are very evenly matched, very strict in their views.

Also Spike/Riley could be interesting.

Priceless
22-05-18, 10:37 AM
Also Spike/Riley could be interesting.

I read a great Spike/Riley fic recently - Moonstruck by Trepkos. It was very well written, though it had its issues, it was a good read. I'd recommend it.

bespangled
22-05-18, 11:14 AM
It is a testimony ti how long and how well traveled some of us are that unusual is so hard to find. I think my most unusual to read is probably Spike copulating with desk. That was hysterical!

OMG - you just reminded me of a story with Spike copulating with a splintery wooden door. I know Giles was in it, and there was magic involved.

Spike/Willow? It's completely nonsensical pairing now, but seeing that they are both immortals who knows, give it couple more centuries and it could work? ;)

That's a large ship out there in the fanfic sea

MikeB
22-05-18, 01:16 PM
"Who could you see together that makes no sense?" That premise is very faulty. If I can 'see a couple together', by definition it would make sense.

GENERAL SPOILERS BELOW FOR AFTER THE FALL, SEASON 8, AND SEASON 9

THOSE I'D PREFER HAPPENED:

* Spike/Fred: It would make sense in general and it'd give an actual excuse why Spike didn't go back to Buffy. Fred would be the new "best of his world" and he wouldn't need to share part of her with Angel.

Illyria wouldn't need to happen, but the Spike/Illyria dynamic would be much better, more dynamic, and more interesting than the Wes-Illyria dynamic.

- AtS S5 seemed to be going in the direction of Spike/Fred, but Spike bizarrely doesn't pursue Fred.

* Drusilla/Dracula: Even if only to 'keep her busy' until Buffy dies and Spike/Dru can happen again, or simply be a forever couple if a Buffy/Spike/Drusilla thing can't happen...

* Spike/Beck: Perhaps the biggest reason to assume AtF cannot be canon is Spider and Co. and Beck never show up in Dark Horse. It's bizarre. A&F S9 for Spike is even more bizarre. Beck is a fire-starter with advanced healing. She's infatuated with Spike and Spike is attracted to her. Why not?

* Spike/Morgan: What? Spike leaves Buffy because he's not satisfied with Buffy/Spike but then he rejects Morgan but then within days is propositioning Faith and Giles's Great Aunts?

* Buffy/Dracula: Why not? Was it actually better for Buffy to be celibate for years after "Chosen" (B 7.22) while Spike had sex with Harmony in AtS S5, others in AtS S5, had Spider and Co. in AtF, etc.? I wouldn't want Buffy sired, but still.

* Buffy/Faith: Although, I consider it near-canon that it happened in BtVS S3.

* Giles/Joyce: I'm not sure why this didn't happen after "Band Candy" (B 3.06) or even before. It seems Joyce was celibate post-Hank until "I Was Made to Love You" (B 5.15) unless Joyce had sex with Ted, which, ew. It seems Giles was celibate from BtVS S1 through BtVS S7 outside of Olivia.

* Pre-Season 8, Dawn/someone. It seems by "Chosen" (B 7.22) that vampire boy from "All the Way" (B 6.06) is the only date Dawn's ever been on unless you also want to count "Him" (B 7.06). It would have taken screen-time, but it's not as if Dawn wasn't boy crazy and it's not as if boys weren't attracted to Dawn.

THOSE I'M AMBIVALENT ABOUT:

* Willow/Spike could have been interesting. Willow would get a huge confidence boost and Spike would likely support her magic use. But Buffy/Spike would still happen and Willow/Spike might complicate that. And while Spike was at least somewhat attracted to Willow, he clearly preferred Buffy.

* I'm not sure Spike/Faith could have worked given Faith's socioeconomic background. Relatively, Drusilla's family and Buffy's family were on par socioeconomically. Spike/Faith would have probably happened in Faith the Vampire Slayer , but I don't see how Spike could prefer Faith to Buffy and Drusilla.

THOSE THAT COULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED/DON'T MAKE SENSE/WHY WOULD ANYONE SERIOUSLY THINK SUCH WAS POSSIBLE:

* Any Angel/male, Spike/male, Wesley/male, Gunn/male wouldn't make sense. Xander/male could make sense given it seems Xander was at least somewhat attracted to both Riley and Spike. Giles/male would only make sense if one assumes Giles/Ethan happened.

* Tara/male: Tara is a lesbian.

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 02:12 PM

I would like to also see Riley/Harmony because they are so very different, I can't even imagine them getting together. How would that happen?

I am not sure if my Rangel story is fluffy or not. It is a combo rangel and spuffy named clarity. On EF & AO3. https://archiveofourown.org/works/10534614

- - - Updated - - -

"Who could you see together that makes no sense?" That premise is very faulty. If I can 'see a couple together', by definition it would make sense.

(snip)

THOSE THAT COULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED/DON'T MAKE SENSE/WHY WOULD ANYONE SERIOUSLY THINK SUCH WAS POSSIBLE:

* Any Angel/male, Spike/male, Wesley/male, Gunn/male wouldn't make sense. Xander/male could make sense given it seems Xander was at least somewhat attracted to both Riley and Spike. Giles/male would only make sense if one assumes Giles/Ethan happened.

* Tara/male: Tara is a lesbian.

Dude! It's fantasy & anyway, it has been established that some of these people have sexually complex histories. I am willing to slash, so i am willing to 'un'slash. I try to look for things in their history that allow me to build my particular story version of them. I figure if we are willing to write sexual situations where none existed in canon, to dispense with canon entirely, it is fine to play with sexuality. That is what fanfic is for: the imagination. There are no limits.

Funny, you have a bunch of very odd pairings in your post, some that I cannot imagine ever working. Truthfully? Sexuality is more than bodies and connection is about more than orientation, though orientation does matter. Basically, if an author can make me believe in a gay/bi Xander or a straight/bi Willow or any other permutation, then more power to the author... if they are just jox with cox, I lose interest fast... I love fanfic, but the author must show his/her work... if they can make a situation believable, then it stops being ridiculous, and becomes a fantasy made real. This is what writing is about. And why I love fanfic.

Because there are no limits to imagination.

And there's another thing: for a lot of younger writers, writing a gay character in particular is a way to explore their own sexuality, and I will NEVER tell someone they cannot do that.

The rules are not relevant. The limits are not relevant.

The imagination rules!

GoSpuffy
22-05-18, 04:16 PM
Willow's immortal? Did I miss something? Or do we think that because she was unhappy in the future Fray comics? I haven't read them but I think I've heard it.

Priceless
22-05-18, 10:21 PM
I am not sure if my Rangel story is fluffy or not. It is a combo rangel and spuffy named clarity. On EF & AO3. https://archiveofourown.org/works/10534614

Thank you for this, it's now on my 'to read' list :)

Rebcake
23-05-18, 12:54 AM
I like all kinds of wacky combos, but I think I'm proudest of slashing D'Hoffryn and Skip (demon guard from Angel). I figured they both worked in the demon "justice" system, so they'd probably know each other. Right?

I'm always imagining what historical figures the Fanged Four ran into in their long travels, and while I don't usually end up "coupling" them, there is a lot of interaction. Darla/Jonathan Swift? Sure! Spike/Alan Ginsberg? Dru/Jimi Hendrix? Why not? All of them taking in the latest Gilbert & Sullivan? Definitely! Dru lends herself to weird crossovers, imo, so I've had her meet Rudolph (the red-nosed reindeer) and Ned (the Pie Maker, from Pushing Daisies), among others.

I've written a Mr. Gordo/Miss Edith romance, Ethan Rayne in a thruple with Anyanka and Halfrek (before The Wish), a Wishverse threesome with vamp!Xander/Spike/Angel, a Spike/Jheira (princess from another dimension on Angel) hookup in S4 of BtVS, a time-traveling Willow with Nikki Wood, and a bit of Spike/Illyria. (Spike/Illyria and Giles/Ethan are as close to canon as makes no difference, so I don't know if they count as "unusual".)

I've said it elsewhere, but Spike can be paired up with practically anybody, under the right circumstances. My favorites are Faith, Fred, Giles, and Xander, as well as some rarer characters like the previously mentioned Lydia and Jhiera, but also his wedding date, Gwen Raiden, or maybe Oz.

Oh! I sort of OT3 Oz/Willow/Tara. I can see Tara being comfortable enough with Oz to agree to raising pups with him, even if she wasn't so much into the actual sex part of the equation. I blame it on this reunion photo: 1292

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen this! It sort of requires Riley to be more focused on looks than he was in canon. We know he likes blondes, and since he was going to suck houses, we know he has a vamp kink. She's starved for male attention. It could definitely happen.

Harmony is really entertaining when paired up with all sorts of unlikely partners. I've read Harmony/Giles and Harmony/Willow and both were hysterically funny. It's usually a drunken hookup that is immediately regretted, but not always. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Spander is the second most popular ship in BtVS fic, after Spuffy. Not unusual at all. I share your Ethan/Giles headcanon. Ethan's constant need to get back at Giles strongly implies a messy breakup, don't you think?

GoSpuffy
23-05-18, 01:51 AM
rebcake your "weird love" signature quote now makes complete sense to me lol

Rebcake
23-05-18, 02:53 AM
rebcake your "weird love" signature quote now makes complete sense to me lol

I cannot deny that my tastes are varied. :grouphug: I'm just as into no pairing/friendship fic as shippy fic. Weird love can absolutely be platonic, imo.

bespangled
23-05-18, 03:26 AM
Spike/Ethan, and Spike/Lilah are both good.

One of my favorite stories - long comfort fic - has Wesley/Spike/Giles (and all the combinations thereof) in the first book. It adds in , Spike/Angel and some Wesley/Angel in the second book. Then the third book adds in Ethan.

Believe it or not it's not a total crack ship story. It starts with Wesley emailing Giles his condolences on the death of Buffy. There is sex, but there's a lot of other stuff too.

Tea and Biscuits (http://www.prettymuses.com/teabiscuits.html)

SpuffyGlitz
23-05-18, 10:55 PM
How about Angel & Anya?
It would be weird but interesting. Actually, Givenchy's Ange Ou Demon made me think of it :lol:

Also - Riley and Drusilla. That would be the oddest pairing I can think of lol.

GoSpuffy
24-05-18, 05:57 AM
Actually I really like Angel and Anja. Good one! I can't imagine Spike Lilah. The head games would be horrendous but Spike Ethan could work.

ghoststar
24-05-18, 11:04 PM
Darla/Lindsey. It's not that far from canon, but it seems to have very few fans, which I find puzzling. I thought that Julie Benz and Christian Kane had great chemistry, and that the characters did understand and like one another. We see that Lindsey isn't afraid when Darla and Dru attack W&H, that she decides to spare him, that she calls him out on really wanting to screw Angel, and that he protects her from both the Senior Partners and Angel after the fire attack. They're both liable to do anything when they feel that someone's been pulling their strings (Darla with the massacre, Lindsey by blackmailing the firm). Lindsey's always looking for a special person to make him special, even in twisted ways, like when he gets offended that the wrong person fatally shoots him in the finale. And, because he has good taste, he never doubts that Darla has that special something. I like that they can make sense of one another's selfish motives without being insulted, and that they can push back against each other as well as everyone else when they don't like how they're being treated. It's an unexpectedly complicated and equal relationship between two troubled characters who initially appear to have very little in common.