PDA

View Full Version : EW binge guide to Buffy

bespangled
22-05-18, 01:07 AM
For some reason this doesn't come up as a link - http://ew.com/binge-guide-show/buffy-the-vampire-slayer/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly

Why you should binge
To each generation, a Slayer is born. Buffy’s heard that speech before. In her chunky-heeled stand against the forces of darkness—she did debut in 1997, after all—the much-prophesied-about Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar) has a thing for rewriting prophecy; she and her friends, the Scooby Gang, buck tradition and turn slaying into a team effort. Created by Joss Whedon and based on his 1992 movie, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' resonates beyond its seven-season run on two now-defunct networks. The baddies are metaphors for the monstrosity of growing up. The romances, thanks to a pair of soulful vampires, are operatic and star-crossed. And the losses are real, a painfully human core to a supernatural story about a girl who demands to be taken seriously.—Kelly Connolly

It has separate categories of must watch, worth your time, and skippable eps.

TimeTravellingBunny
22-05-18, 01:51 AM
Their ratings are mostly good or OK... with some exceptions. (Just B+ for Passion? Really?!)

bespangled
22-05-18, 01:58 AM
My thought exactly!:blink:

Also - Amanda? No, Amends...

Priceless
22-05-18, 08:41 AM
Thanks for posting. Ratings are always subjective, but Connolly appears to really love this show, she only gives 3 D's. She's much nicer than I would be. Teacher's Pet and Go Fish were both C's

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 04:55 PM
Their ratings are mostly good or OK... with some exceptions. (Just B+ for Passion? Really?!)

Her ratings for some are inexplicable. Passion being a case in point.

And the lower rated episodes... Doublemeat Palace is a yucky, clunky episode, but it rates surprisingly well for her. I think it's a 'D' episode. I'm not in agreement about all her D's. At least a couple of season one and two episodes were just... bad. But on the whole, the series is so solid, that some of our beloved series' lesser episodes are actually better in hindsight, (or they accomplished something vital) and so need to be watched.

Still, I'm just glad people are encouraging potential new fans to watch Buffy. And now i know exactly how much time I took in my life watching those many run throughs of the entire series.

No wonder I was quoting Buffy lines to anyone who would ignore me!

I binge watched it before that was a thing... running it in constant rotation as I studied for my various nursing exams... I seriously doubt I would have survived some of my live between 2004-2011 without many rewatchings of Buffy and Angel (with a little Stargate and MASH thrown in.)

I feel a rewatch coming on. it's been a bunch of years since I've watched more than a few episodes at a stretch.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting. Ratings are always subjective, but Connolly appears to really love this show, she only gives 3 D's. She's much nicer than I would be. Teacher's Pet and Go Fish were both C's

Teacher's Pet was... for me at best a D-. Still, there was stuff to enjoy.

My least favorite episodes for the series are Doublemeat Palace (who let the penis monster out?) and Normal Again (I don't think it's a horrid episode objectively, I just hate it)

Also really not fond of the Pack. I think it's bad, and borderline racist, but maybe that's what I get for growing up with 'young gifted and black' and Hugh Masakela and Miriam Makeba on the stereo. Being conscious of things African made that fake African motif kind of annoying...

(The faux African theme also was present in Teacher's Pet) Jungle drums, really? it's equates sex monster women with Africa for some reason. So many idiot messages! About sex, women and the monstrous, and of course 'the jungle' for good measure... b/c that had something to do with bad teacher!

a thing of evil
22-05-18, 09:20 PM
Doppelgangland B+
Passion B+
Graduation Day B
Entropy A-

https://abload.de/img/b1jvstb.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=b1jvstb.jpg)

Priceless
22-05-18, 10:45 PM
Teacher's Pet was... for me at best a D-. Still, there was stuff to enjoy.

My least favorite episodes for the series are Doublemeat Palace (who let the penis monster out?) and Normal Again (I don't think it's a horrid episode objectively, I just hate it)

Also really not fond of the Pack. I think it's bad, and borderline racist, but maybe that's what I get for growing up with 'young gifted and black' and Hugh Masakela and Miriam Makeba on the stereo. Being conscious of things African made that fake African motif kind of annoying...

(The faux African theme also was present in Teacher's Pet) Jungle drums, really? it's equates sex monster women with Africa for some reason. So many idiot messages! About sex, women and the monstrous, and of course 'the jungle' for good measure... b/c that had something to do with bad teacher!

Doublemeat Palace has grown on me over the years and now I quite enjoy it, even though the penis monster is ridiculous. I like the Spike scenes, and Willow trying not to use the magic Amy gave her.

I'm not a fan of The Pack either, though the dodgeball scene is brutal and one of the best scenes in the whole of Season 1. Xander's cruelty was always a little too much for me, and I hate the ending. It was all so uncomplicated back then, but as the show progresses and deals with other forms of control and consent, The Pack becomes more and more questionable.

I think 'racist' is a valid criticism of the show. It did get better, but it was never very good as showing or exploring racial diversity. It's one of the things that AtS did much better, and even then the stereotype was strong, with the main black character was a gang member from the hood. Perhaps Gunn was balanced by Wood to some extent.

MikeB
23-05-18, 04:52 AM
* I simply disagree with and ignore any list of BtVS that states any episode doesn't need to be watched.

I wouldn't want anyone posting on this Board who thinks any episode can be skipped.

http://ew.com/binge-guide-show/buffy-the-vampire-slayer/

The authors seems to agree with me on at least several key things.

bespangled
23-05-18, 05:30 AM
Not leaving...:sadwalk: