PDA

View Full Version : Order of the most popular characters in the Buffyverse:

MikeB
21-05-18, 01:56 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

I don't include Firefly and Serenity because relatively only River Tam and Malcolm Reynolds are popular characters. Is River more popular than Drusilla even though Drusilla is part of Western Pop Culture and River isn't? Where can Mal be placed? Is Mal more popular than Tara and Oz?

Dollhouse simply has no popular characters. I couldn't begin to know where to place them given I've already forgotten Echo's real name.

- Spike (William Pratt, William the Bloody):

He has many haters, but the fervency and effusiveness of his fans puts him well over the top in popularity. It's kinda like 'The Howard Stern' thing. By BtVS S5, Spike has the power to end and continue the Buffyverse

- Buffy Anne Summers :

Buffy is popular in pop culture in general. Is the go-to for "strong female character" even though Xena Warrior Princess came out first. Most see 'Buffy' whenever Sarah Michelle Gellar has blonde hair.

- Willow Rosenberg:

Was the WB's second choice to continue AtS after AtS S4. Willow is so popular that Alyson Hannigan has red hair in her other 2 most notable roles: American Pie and How I Met Your Mother . Vampire Willow is listed separately below.

- Faith Lehane:

She originally was going to be in BtVS S4 instead of Spike. Eliza Dushku parlayed her popularity from being Faith into a significant TV and film career that made her worth 8-figures. She nowadays is a significant convention draw.

- Angel ('Angelus', Liam?):

Even though he has a spin-off, Angel never got the popularity of Spike, Buffy, Willow, and Faith. AtS sometimes isn't even listed in Joss Whedon's 'past work' when an article or interviewer or reporter or whatever is discussing Joss. A considerable part of Angel's popularity is from Buffy/Angel.

- Drusilla (Keeble?):

She is more popular than Illyria because of Spike/Drusilla.

THE ABOVE ARE ALL PART OF 'WESTERN' POP CULTURE

- Illyria:

S/he is very popular in the Buffyverse; she is not part of pop culture given mostly only viewers know about her.

THE ABOVE ARE VERY POPULAR WITH THEIR OWN CONSIDERABLE FAN BASES

- Tara Maclay:

Tara is mostly popular because of Willow/Tara, same as Oz. Tara is more popular than Oz because Willow/Tara is more popular than Willow/Oz.

- Daniel Osbourne (Oz):

His popularity didn't decrease after Oz broke up with Willow because the audience knew Seth Green wanted to focus on his movie career. Willow/Tara simply very quickly became more popular than Willow/Oz.

- Vampire Willow:

She only appears twice in the Buffyverse, but is very popular.

- Cordelia Chase:

Her popularity increased during AtS; she is mostly only eye candy in BtVS. There's mostly ambivalence regarding Xander/Cordy.

- Wesley Wyndam-Pryce:

His popularity increased during AtS because Wesley became 'bad ass'. Wes/Lilah gave Wesley sexiness and increased his popularity. Somehow Wes/Fred is more popular than Gunn/Fred.

- Winifred Burkle (Fred):

A lot of Fred's popularity is due to the audience finding Amy Acker physically attractive. Illyria has much greater/better 'character' stuff than Fred. I like Fred and consider if Spike/Fred happened that Illyria maybe wouldn't be necessary. The Jasmine factor complicates things, but overall I find Fred braver than Xander and great overall.

- Alexander Lavelle Harris (Xander):

Xander's relative low ranking is because of things like the Big Lie, his not owning to his mistakes and wrongdoings, and his massive hypocrisy toward Buffy/Spike given Xander/Anya.

He's more popular than Giles because Xander after "Sleeper" (B 7.08) supports Buffy/Spike.

- Rupert Giles:

His popularity takes a huge blow because he leaves in BtVS S6. It takes a huger blow because of his being against Buffy/Spike in BtVS S7. It never recovers after his helping Robin Wood try to kill Spike ("Lies My Parents Told Me" (B 7.17)). Pre-BtVS S6, Giles's popularity was either slightly above or slightly below Drusilla's.

Giles's actions in BtVS S8 further lessened his popularity.

Giles is relatively so unpopular that most still reading the comics consider his resurrection was much more about Buffy/Angel than about Giles, Buffy-Giles, Scoobies-Giles, etc. combined.

- Dracula:

Popularity is because of the comics. Spike vs. Dracula and Tales of the Vampires: "Antique" and BtVS S8 and some BtVS S10. That says something about those listed below.

THE BELOW HAVE EITHER AMBIVALENCE FROM THE AUDIENCE TO THOSE LOWER HAVING OUTRIGHT HATRED FROM THE AUDIENCE

- Anya Jenkins:

Anya's height of popularity is her grieving Joyce Summers in "The Body" (B 5.16). Xander/Anya is never popular.

- Charles Gunn (Gunn):

* I find Gunn interesting and I like the character outside of AtF. But he's never a popular character.

- Lilah Morgan:

She is more popular than Lindsey because of Wes/Lilah.

- Lindsey MacDonald:

- Joyce Summers:

Is either somewhat liked or somewhat hated depending on the viewer.

- Dawn Summers:

She became more popular in BtVS S7 because she becomes less annoying. She's hated in BtVS S5 and in BtVS S6. Given Michelle Trachtenberg becomes a sex symbol because of Eurotrip and becomes even more of a sex symbol soon after because of Gossip Girl , her increased popularity in BtVS S7 is probably also because of what's almost outright stated in "Him" (B 7.06).

- Darla:

She became more popular in AtS, but even Angel/Cordy is more popular than Angel/Darla.

- Jonathan Levinson:

He somehow has some popularity.

- Riley Finn:

His most popular act is telling Buffy she can remove Spike's chip ("The Killer in Me" (B 7.13)).

- Harmony Kendall:

Even the comics don't increase her popularity.

- Robin Wood:

He is never popular. He never can recover after "Lies My Parents Told Me" (B 7.17). His popularity decreases simply because of the reveal Spike killed his mother.

- Andrew Wells:

He is somehow is less popular than Robin Wood, albeit certain actions of his greatly helped his unpopularity.

- Connor:

He just isn't liked.

I know The Master and The Mayor are somewhat popular, but I didn't know where to place them except probably above Connor. But I'd place Glory also above Connor and Adam below Connor.

There's mostly simply ambivalence regarding Wolfram & Hart.

Jasmine, The Beast, and Evil Cordelia aren't liked, but AtS S4 had the best ratings of AtS until Spike boosted AtS's ratings in AtS S5.

The First Evil is responsible for all the evil in all of the Buffyverse, so, really, it would be Number 1 if properly placing it.

a thing of evil
21-05-18, 04:07 PM
This is difficult. The first four are obvious - Buffy, Willow, Angel, Spike - but the fifth one? Hard to say, I voted Tara because I keep getting surprised by just how popular Willow and Tara are. For example, there was that big (around 50K votes) BtVS poll on Buzzfeed a few years back. Willow and Tara won the couples category.

Priceless
21-05-18, 04:32 PM
I think the most popular are Buffy, Willow, Angel, Spike and Wesley. They are the characters I see mentioned most often.

My personal top 5 are Buffy, Spike, Cordelia, Dawn and possibly Giles. My fifth choice changes, depending on the season. The Mayor is often a favourite of mine, as is Angelus.

DeepBlueJoy
21-05-18, 04:34 PM
OK, so I vote for people I liked.... if I voted for the people who were most popular, my vote would have been different. wasn't clear whether you want to know what the favorites of this board are, or what we think people like. Since what others like is largely irrelevant to me, I went with who I like!! :wub::vamp_mrgreen: because the rest of the world can vote for itself!

Buffy
Spike
Xander
Dru
Tara

I like (love even) all the characters, though, of the starring characters, I probably like Willow less than most people do b/c she's the only rapist with a soul in the series, and she's never acknowledged the wrong she did in that act of stealing sex without consent (I believe it's called date rape when you roofie someone so they can't remember why they didn't want to have sex with you), even though she did get help, which partially redeemed her (or I would actively dislike her).

TimeTravellingBunny
21-05-18, 06:34 PM
I think the most popular are Buffy, Willow, Angel, Spike and Wesley. They are the characters I see mentioned most often.

My personal top 5 are Buffy, Spike, Cordelia, Dawn and possibly Giles. My fifth choice changes, depending on the season. The Mayor is often a favourite of mine, as is Angelus.

I'm pretty sure that the top 4 are (in no particular order, since it's hard to figure out what the order of popularity is) Buffy, Willow, Spike and Angel. But I'm not sure who #5 is. It may be Faith, Cordelia or Wesley. Wesley certainly appears to be the favorite of most AtS fans. But I'm not convinced he's more popular than Faith or Cordelia. (Neither Cordelia nor Wesley are among my favorites, but I see people stanning them very often.)

The number of Buffy-fans who are anti-Buffy is pretty surprising sometimes - but also it may be overblown, since haters are usually loud and tend to seem more numerous. Spike is super popular but also super hated.

Giles, Oz, Tara, Xander, Fred, Anya all have quite a few fans (though Xander also has a lot of haters), but not quite on the same level.

The least popular seem to be Riley, Connor (though I know some Connor fans), Kennedy (though she is less unpopular due to the comics), Dawn also used to be hated but now there seem to be quite a few fans saying they like her.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so I vote for people I liked.... if I voted for the people who were most popular, my vote would have been different. wasn't clear whether you want to know what the favorites of this board are, or what we think people like. Since what others like is largely irrelevant to me, I went with who I like!! :wub::vamp_mrgreen: because the rest of the world can vote for itself!

Buffy
Spike
Xander
Dru
Tara

I like (love even) all the characters, though, of the starring characters, I probably like Willow less than most people do b/c she's the only rapist with a soul in the series, and she's never acknowledged the wrong she did in that act of stealing sex without consent (I believe it's called date rape when you roofie someone so they can't remember why they didn't want to have sex with you), even though she did get help, which partially redeemed her (or I would actively dislike her).

I think he wants to know who we think is the most popular in the fandom, not who out favorites are. We've already had multiple Favorite Character polls - and we are too small of a statistical sample to be representative of the fandom as a whole.

DeepBlueJoy
21-05-18, 06:40 PM
I think (with no evidence) the most popular are Buffy, Spike, Xander, Willow and Angel. Probably in that order. Since Angel fans exist as well, I might move Angel up to third place, but it's hard to put folks in front of the scoobies in terms of popularity. Of course, this is simply a guess. I have only impressions from my circle of friends and the boards I frequent. Anecdotes aren't evidential.

Priceless
21-05-18, 06:41 PM
When we ran some polls on this forum; favourite male characters and favourite female characters, the voting went -

Buffy 19 votes
Willow 13
Spike 10
Dawn 8
Xander & Dru both had 6 votes

It's not scientific at all and it only reflects the people on this forum, but the female characters were far more popular, on average, that the males. Angel, Wesley and Giles only got 4 votes each.

TimeTravellingBunny
21-05-18, 06:44 PM
When we ran some polls on this forum; favourite male characters and favourite female characters, the voting went -

Buffy 19 votes
Willow 13
Spike 10
Dawn 8
Xander & Dru both had 6 votes

It's not scientific at all and it only reflects the people on this forum, but the female characters were far more popular, on average, that the males. Angel, Wesley and Giles only got 4 votes each.

Dawn being so popular is definitely not typical of the fandom as a whole.

This forum has other tendencies that are different from the fandom as a whole, as well. But it's always difficult to judge these things, as it depends on what we happened to see and where we happened to hang out.

flow
21-05-18, 07:33 PM
Do you all really think, Xander is not a favorite within fandom? I am really surprised by that. Aside from those who ship ships, I only ever here people praising the wonderful High-School-Scoobie-friendship. Wich means, we are talking about Buffy, Willow, Xander. Which is my vote, plus Angel and Spike, for the shippers.

flow

TimeTravellingBunny
21-05-18, 07:38 PM
Do you all really think, Xander is not a favorite within fandom? I am really surprised by that. Aside from those who ship ships, I only ever here people praising the wonderful High-School-Scoobie-friendship. Wich means, we are talking about Buffy, Willow, Xander. Which is my vote, plus Angel and Spike, for the shippers.

flow

People can like the friendship, but that does not have to mean that every character involved is individually one of the most popular characters.

The same goes for ships. Many people who ship a certain couple don't even like one of the characters involved, but just ship it because it's what the other character wants, or because they think their favorite character would become more prominent if they were in a relationship with the protagonist. For instance, I've seen quite a few people who ship Buffy with someone in spite of the fact that they don't even seem to like Buffy.

Priceless
21-05-18, 08:05 PM
I sometimes get the impression, because i listen to so many podcasts, that Xander is in fact evil. He's often portrayed as a complete misogynist and homophobe, which seems odd to me when his best friends are girls and one of them is gay.

bespangled
22-05-18, 01:18 AM
I didn't take this as a personal popularity - more as my reading of the fandom. I am not a big Fred fan, but I chose her instead of Wesley, whom I adore. Fred just seems to be the most popular character from AtS even if she leaves me a bit cold.

BTW - where is Gunn?

- - - Updated - - -

flow

It kinda depends on what you feel constitutes fandom. The fans coming to the show now tend to really dislike both Xander and Wesley.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 08:12 AM
Do you all really think, Xander is not a favorite within fandom?

flow

Xander is more popular in the fanfiction circles. Just click on Archive of Our Own and see how many Xander fanfics are written there. He ranks third after Buffy and Spike.

As Xander's biggest fan ever, I have come across a lot of Xander fans, mostly on LJ and they were all fanfic writers. There was a myth that Xander's fans are only males which used to annoy me because I'm a woman!!! And I know many women who adore Xander. Best Xander fanfic writers are also women like Sparrow2000 and Liz-Marcs.

I do agree that the new generation hates Xander's guts, and characters who weren't that popular in the past like Tara and Dawn are getting massively popular nowadays especially on Tumblr.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 08:43 AM
I sometimes get the impression, because i listen to so many podcasts, that Xander is in fact evil. He's often portrayed as a complete misogynist and homophobe, which seems odd to me when his best friends are girls and one of them is gay.

If you're interested, back in 2006, I have gathered real arguments by fanatic Xander fans and haters and written them into a play where I play a host and interview Xander's biggest fan and biggest basher. A lot of the arguments by the Xander hater I still see to this day, while the misogynic arguments by the Xander fan seemed to have faded away.

Interview with Character Fans and Bashers: Scene One (https://archiveofourown.org/works/7599487)

Priceless
22-05-18, 10:10 AM
If you're interested, back in 2006, I have gathered real arguments by fanatic Xander fans and haters and written them into a play where I play a host and interview Xander's biggest fan and biggest basher. A lot of the arguments by the Xander hater I still see to this day, while the misogynic arguments by the Xander fan seemed to have faded away.

Interview with Character Fans and Bashers: Scene One (https://archiveofourown.org/works/7599487)

Really great Sosa, thanks for sharing :)

MikeB
31-05-18, 12:33 AM
Responding to a post TimeTravellingBunny made in the "30 Days of AtS" thread: http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20938-30-Days-of-Angel&p=722853&viewfull=1#post722853

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

TimeTravellingBunny

* Baseline questions:

Do you think Angel/Darla is more popular than Spike/Dru?

Do you think Darla is more popular than Drusilla?

* I base my regards regarding the viewership of the Buffyverse based on the viewership, not “the fandom”. “The fandom” is limited to whatever the poster or arguer wants it to be and sometimes it seems some consider this Board represents “the fandom”.

That AtS tried to make Angel/Darla more like Spike/Dru is a commonplace regard. That Vampire Willow/Vampire Xander tried to copy Spike/Dru is an almost universal regard.

It’s simply that AtS tried to make Angel/Darla relatively lovey dovey and such.

Anyway, even if it was true that Drusilla is one of the most popular characters (which I don't think it's true) or that Darla is one of the least popular (which I also don't think is true), Your not thinking both are true doesn’t change facts.

* Tim Minnear isn’t the arbiter of Buffyverse canon. Tim also said something like Darla is the love of Angel’s life and almost essentially implied Buffy was to Angel as Harmony Kendall was to Spike.

You may just as well say that "Fool For Love" is really an extended episode of "Darla". It would be equally right (or rather, equally wrong). That’s beyond laughable.

If anything, “Fool For Love” (B 5.07) is a two-parter as a way to have James Marsters easily do that ‘second AtS episode’ that unlike SMG and Eliza Dushku, he never did in AtS S1.

Spike is so important and so popular compared to other characters that the most important scene in “Hells Bells” (B 6.16) is the Buffy/Spike scene and the most important scene in “Selfless” (B 7.05) is the First Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Spike scene. “Fool For Love” (B 5.07) was made a two-parter to give more information on Spike/Dru, to show that what Spike was telling Buffy is true, and to try to up the ratings for AtS S2.

The main reason Drusilla is in AtS S2 instead of BtVS S5 is because the writers, producers, etc. wanted to use Drusilla to try to boost the ratings for AtS.

Originally, Spike/Dru were going to be back for BtVS S3 but Juliet Landau was otherwise busy. So, Joss Whedon created Faith.

Rebcake
31-05-18, 01:14 AM
I think the core 4 (Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles) and the 2 vamp boyfriends (Angel & Spike) are far and away more popular and known — by the general public and "casual" fans, if there is such an animal — than any other characters. But that's six, not five. I put Giles in sixth place, but it could be Xander or even Willow, depending on what pool of people you're asking.

Fool for Buffy
31-05-18, 01:43 AM
MikeB It's really quite silly of you to think "Darla" was created for Spike and Dru. Spike is barely in the episode, and the entire episode is about Darla, (hence the name) a character who couldn't care less about Spike. Spike's role in that episode is in fact even less important than Angelus's role in Fool for Love (which is minimal) so if anything the episodes should be taken separately or wherein Fool for Love is an extension of Darla.

If you don't believe me, Spike's only lines in Darla are "what" (to Darla) and the 2 lines he says with Drusilla in Fool for Love, the same scene from Darla and Angel's pov, "no need to be humble" and the line to Angel about another slayer rising.

Also on our poll on this thread, it seems you are the only one who voted for Drusilla as a character to be considered most popular.

bespangled
31-05-18, 05:20 AM
But I bet Dru would have made an awesome slayer!

MikeB - where do you come up with your information? Post some inks, pretty please.

Stoney
31-05-18, 08:35 AM
I think Dru's story is most heavily tied to Angel. Even Spike and Dru's relationship in S2 becomes greatly about both of their individual dynamics with Angel and how he comes between them and what Spike wishes the relationship was, but isn't. The Dru/Angel history and dynamic were a major part of S2 generally anyway of course. When Dru comes back into Spike's story in the present it is in Crush. And it is quickly revealed that she is looking to build her family back, she hasn't come for him solely and so the dynamic is the same, with Angel (and this time Darla too), being a very real part of Dru's focus. For Spike then it serves to show him as having moved on and actively choosing to turn away from her, what she represents and offers. Most of Dru's meaningful use post S2 has been in Angel's story because of his focus on his past, that he created her and so her ongoing relevancy to him in the present time can be used. Not that Dru doesn't still hold meaning for Spike, but she is more a product of Angel's story than a current part of Spike's. Even in the comics, so far, Dru has focused on returning to Angel and the creation/familial bond is always emphasised. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she comes into S12. We might get to see a canon meeting between her and souled Spike finally. She wasn't pleased with Faith's reference to Spike and Buffy in S10, but it wouldn't be because of that primarily or that would have been followed up already, it would be because Angel is going to be in there imo.