View Full Version : Wooded Path by Linnae13 starting on 1st June 2018

flow
18-05-18, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

we will be discussing

Wooded Path by Linnae13 [NC-17]

from Friday 1st June 2018 on.

Summary: Once upon a time...
...or perhaps in this one, where the world has yet to grow with population and industry. Where a little cottage in the middle of a cold, frozen forest is the home of one Buffy Summers. Her surroundings are vacant, her life calm and filled with work and minimal play, but that's true for most people. She doesn't mind living this life, or doing so quite far from town. The place never felt very big when she resided there with her parents, and now she calls a different place home.
When her grandmother passed on the cottage became Buffy's alone, though it should be said she tries to walk the same wooded path. Following her family's teachings to earn a living, even if she couldn't practice what talents they had cherished and honed, is precisely what brings her to the edge of a man's wintry deathbed. A pale, blue eyed stranger with white hair and no prayer for survival, unless she helps him.

With more than 112k words this is - again - a rather long fic. Therefore I put it up two weeks ahesad, to give everybody enough time, to read it through, before the discussion starts.

You can find it (as far as I know) only on Elysian Fields and you probably have to be registered to read it there because of the rating. If you are not registered on EF and still want to read this story, you can always send me a pm and we will find a solution :D

I am looking forward to this story!

flow

ETA: If you are Linnea13 or a writer of fanfiction and you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration.

Stoney
18-05-18, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure this is enough time. It might not mean much from me because I'm behind anyway and I'm not the best example of timely reading(!!), but the Holly fic is coming up on the 25th, so there's only one week after that to read Wooded Path. My reading rate when it is going well is a fic of about 50k would be a week. Even if I catch up I'd never read this in the week between Holly's fic finishing and this starting the week after. But everyone else might not have a problem with it. :noidea:

flow
19-05-18, 06:05 PM
I was assuming, that people mostly already have read Holly`s fic. I planned two weeks for discussing Linnea13`s story and we can of course still read while the discussion is going on. I would change the time gap between On The Other Side of Midnight and Wooded path, but I can`t edit thread titles. At least I don`t know, how to do it. :o

flow

Stoney
19-05-18, 09:13 PM
I don't think we can amend thread titles. We lack the power. :D

I wouldn't worry about it though flow as it's just me anyway I think. Everyone else who wants to discuss them is keeping up. I think I just need to accept that now and then I'll have to skip a story/discussion because I'm just too far behind. I read all Holly's stories when I first started reading fanfic about 5/6 years ago. Some of them I've reread several times, but not this one, so I only vaguely remember it. I'll either storm through the remainder of Awakening and read Midnight before Friday too or I'll skip Midnight to reread another time and join for Wooded Path. I don't want to hold everyone else up if the timescales are working for everyone else because I'll prioritise the rewatch if the review completes this week and so it wouldn't be fair to hold you guys back. My snail pace reading just can't cope with all the different things I'm trying to do so it's just reality that I'll have to miss out sometimes. Otherwise I'll always be posting weeks after everyone else and then I won't feel like I'm joining in with the group anyway. I'll try my best. :xd

flow
25-05-18, 02:22 PM
Just a quick reminder, that we will be discussing this fic from next Friday on.

Hope we have a lot of people joining the discussion!

flow

Stoney
25-05-18, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry I won't stand a chance of joining you all for this one. I haven't started it yet and it would take me a couple of weeks at least for something this length, but I'm going to be busy with other things for at least a couple of weeks first. I do want to read it though, so I'll try to remember to come back to the thread and see what you all thought when I finally get to it. :)

Priceless
25-05-18, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reminder flow, I'd forgotten about this fic. I shall start it today :)

Rebcake
29-05-18, 02:28 AM
I probably won't be in on this discussion. It takes a lot to entice me to read an AU that far from canon.

GoSpuffy
29-05-18, 06:16 AM
I think I'll skip this one too. This is what they call AU, right? I like my spuffy fanfics to be more like they could really happen if you change up circumstances. I never read "all human" for instance because I want Buffy the slayer and some kind of spike (evil, frenemy, hero or any other incarnation )as long as he's in love with Buffy.

Stoney
29-05-18, 06:28 AM
I like seeing what character traits come through in AUs of all varieties and often really enjoy them. I'll definitely read this, I just don't have time to at the moment.

flow
01-06-18, 08:49 AM
Hey all,

the discussion for Wooded Path is officially opened. I am currently on my mobile and will return to this thread later.

flow

Priceless
01-06-18, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry to say that once again I cannot finish this fic. The first chapter was difficult for me to get through. I found the style of writing just wasn't to my taste and seemed a little over-written. I wasn't excited about the 'fairytale' setting, or Buffy as witch/apothecary, these are settings that just don't appeal to me. But Spike appears, so I thought I should continue, to see where Linnae13 was going to take the couple.

I liked Buffy rescuing Spike, and I envisioned a story about Buffy nursing him back to health, which is a trope I enjoy. But the story didn't go in that direction and suddenly Buffy is a hostage within her own home, held captive by this silent intruder. I didn't recognise either of these characters at all. They could have been brand new characters, for all they resembled the Spike and Buffy I know.

I gave up at chapter 4, because a silent Spike, with no explanation about why he's silent, just isn't my Spike and this character isn't one I really want to read about. I also don't like this Buffy being trapped, held hostage by this creature. In fic writing terms, it felt very old fashioned, and the way fic writers used to present Buffy, but I think the writing of Buffy has moved on a bit, and nowadays there are much fewer fics that have Buffy as the damsel or the victim.

So yeah, I gave up again. I hope there are readers who enjoyed this story far more than I did, and can tell me if the characterisation improved and we got to understand why Spike didn't speak?

flow
01-06-18, 11:01 AM
I am back home now and would be ready to start the discussion, if I had read the story.

But I haven`t. I haven`t even started and dropped out of it at some point. I just glanced at the first paragraphs and knew, I could not get into it.

Buffy being some kind of a witch, living alone in a log cabin in a sorrounding, that sounds very fairy-tale-ish and Spike being a vampire with no voice and the two of them meeting under completely different circumstances is just not for me. To me, this isn`t an AU Spuffy fanfic. It is a completely original story with protagonists, who happen to be called Buffy and Spike. Their names could be John and Jane, without changing the fic much.

The story might be wonderful, intriguing and worth reading. I don`t know that, because I haven`t read it. I wasn`t attracted enough by the concept of the story to give it a try. My fault entirely, but that is how it is.

flow

TriBel
01-06-18, 11:29 AM
I am back home now and would be ready to start the discussion, if I had read the story.

But I haven`t. I haven`t even started and dropped out of it at some point. I just glanced at the first paragraphs and knew, I could not get into it.

Buffy being some kind of a witch, living alone in a log cabin in a sorrounding, that sounds very fairy-tale-ish and Spike being a vampire with no voice and the two of them meeting under completely different circumstances is just not for me. To me, this isn`t an AU Spuffy fanfic. It is a completely original story with protagonists, who happen to be called Buffy and Spike. Their names could be John and Jane, without changing the fic much.

The story might be wonderful, intriguing and worth reading. I don`t know that, because I haven`t read it. I wasn`t attracted enough by the concept of the story to give it a try. My fault entirely, but that is how it is.

flow

Yup - this is what happened to me! I dropped out part way through Chapter 2. :(

BTW, I think everyone should be forced to read the Gwennie fic! :D

flow
01-06-18, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I suggested it for the discussion group, but was overruled. We picked Wooded Path instead....

flow

DeepBlueJoy
01-06-18, 12:15 PM
I think I'll skip this one too. This is what they call AU, right? I like my spuffy fanfics to be more like they could really happen if you change up circumstances. I never read "all human" for instance because I want Buffy the slayer and some kind of spike (evil, frenemy, hero or any other incarnation )as long as he's in love with Buffy.

Yeah, i see this one updated and i keep skipping it. Not for me. I do read some AUs. Some are gold. When you read gwennie... do let me know. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry to say that once again I cannot finish this fic. The first chapter was difficult for me to get through. I found the style of writing just wasn't to my taste and seemed a little over-written. I wasn't excited about the 'fairytale' setting, or Buffy as witch/apothecary, these are settings that just don't appeal to me. But Spike appears, so I thought I should continue, to see where Linnae13 was going to take the couple.

I liked Buffy rescuing Spike, and I envisioned a story about Buffy nursing him back to health, which is a trope I enjoy. But the story didn't go in that direction and suddenly Buffy is a hostage within her own home, held captive by this silent intruder. I didn't recognise either of these characters at all. They could have been brand new characters, for all they resembled the Spike and Buffy I know.

I gave up at chapter 4, because a silent Spike, with no explanation about why he's silent, just isn't my Spike and this character isn't one I really want to read about. I also don't like this Buffy being trapped, held hostage by this creature. In fic writing terms, it felt very old fashioned, and the way fic writers used to present Buffy, but I think the writing of Buffy has moved on a bit, and nowadays there are much fewer fics that have Buffy as the damsel or the victim.

So yeah, I gave up again. I hope there are readers who enjoyed this story far more than I did, and can tell me if the characterisation improved and we got to understand why Spike didn't speak?

If i had been tempted. Thankfully, not. If you silence a character, there must be a mechanism for making them recognizable, even giving them voice of a sort. I think a lot of people write what they want to write any way and apply character names as a special "reader bait" sauce. I would rather read spike/buffy with the names filed off (as a friend did when she published what was clearly a spuffy without the names.) Preferably, i get to keep the two separate. I don't mind OCs either. Just don't call them Buffy or Spike.

TriBel
01-06-18, 12:19 PM
That said, I've just gone back to the Linnae one and there's concepts there I quite like. I might give it another bash! Gwennie - I'd read again. :)

Priceless
01-06-18, 12:23 PM
If i had been tempted. Thankfully, not. If you silence a character, there must be a mechanism for making them recognizable, even giving them voice of a sort. I think a lot of people write what they want to write any way and apply character names as a special "reader bait" sauce. I would rather read spike/buffy with the names filed off (as a friend did when she published what was clearly a spuffy without the names.) Preferably, i get to keep the two separate. I don't mind OCs either. Just don't call them Buffy or Spike.

Agreed. I've recently read a fic that had Spike silenced, and it worked really well because it was still him, he had the mannerisms and quirks that were easily recognisable. Maybe if I'd kept reading, everything would have become clear, and made sense, but the style just didn't do anything for me.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I've just gone back to the Linnae one and there's concepts there I quite like. I might give it another bash! Gwennie - I'd read again. :)

I've read the Gwennie fic and thought it was okay, but I would be happy to re-read it, as everyone else is raving about it, so I feel like I must have missed something :confused: :D

DeepBlueJoy
01-06-18, 12:45 PM
Agreed. I've recently read a fic that had Spike silenced, and it worked really well because it was still him, he had the mannerisms and quirks that were easily recognisable. Maybe if I'd kept reading, everything would have become clear, and made sense, but the style just didn't do anything for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read the Gwennie fic and thought it was okay, but I would be happy to re-read it, as everyone else is raving about it, so I feel like I must have missed something :confused: :D

Not sure i rise to rave. More like enjoyed well. People who know me from Tth will know i am not 10/10 girl. If you get 9 from me, it is worth 10 or 11 from others. I am that hard professor.

GoSpuffy
01-06-18, 03:26 PM
I'd reread gwennie again.

TriBel
01-06-18, 07:36 PM
Okay - got to chapter 4 of the Wooded Path and still didn't like it. I've called it a day!

DeepBlueJoy
01-06-18, 10:20 PM
I dwell in the well of horniness... and my fellow well dwellers are coming out of the depths... mmmm... sexxx.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay - got to chapter 4 of the Wooded Path and still didn't like it. I've called it a day!

I'm like horses and certain kinds of jumps... I just stop... and the rider goes flying... I can't even start that story. Some stories draw me in with their themes and disappoint me, but some (thankfully) warn me off by clearly labeling on tin: "You're really not gonna like this one!" Thanks for the confirmation that I didn't miss a gem, rough or otherwise.

American Aurora
02-06-18, 01:48 AM
Sorry, you guys! I had suggested the fic because it was radically different from most Spuffy fiction - I guess it was a little TOO different! :lol:

It would be a lot easier to suggest things if I had a good idea of what you were looking for. I've read so many Spuffy fics that they all start to blur in my mind. Are there any particular scenarios or storylines that you'd like to see? Maybe a list of fics that everyone has enjoyed? :noidea:

I have read "Demons I Have Known" which falls into the very popular fanfiction trope of "Characters are forced to see a certain ship in a different light" or basically, the Scoobies relive the episodes as filtered through the viewpoint of a Spuffy fan. It's a fun fic and fairly satisfying to experience the mortification of the characters as they realize how wrong-headed they were. It's a little squicky that Dawn is involved, though, since they experience an awful lot of graphic sex. :s

I take it that most here want some semblance of the original show - Buffy a Slayer, Spike a Vampire - I'll try to suggest some fics that are more in line with the show as aired.

I guess I've read so much that I look for unusual fics - a sign, I suppose, that I've become a bit jaded. Sorry. :xd

DeepBlueJoy
02-06-18, 03:38 AM
Sorry, you guys! I had suggested the fic because it was radically different from most Spuffy fiction - I guess it was a little TOO different! :lol:

It would be a lot easier to suggest things if I had a good idea of what you were looking for. I've read so many Spuffy fics that they all start to blur in my mind. Are there any particular scenarios or storylines that you'd like to see? Maybe a list of fics that everyone has enjoyed? :noidea:

I have read "Demons I Have Known" which falls into the very popular fanfiction trope of "Characters are forced to see a certain ship in a different light" or basically, the Scoobies relive the episodes as filtered through the viewpoint of a Spuffy fan. It's a fun fic and fairly satisfying to experience the mortification of the characters as they realize how wrong-headed they were. It's a little squicky that Dawn is involved, though, since they experience an awful lot of graphic sex. :s

I take it that most here want some semblance of the original show - Buffy a Slayer, Spike a Vampire - I'll try to suggest some fics that are more in line with the show as aired.

I guess I've read so much that I look for unusual fics - a sign, I suppose, that I've become a bit jaded. Sorry. :xd

Don't feel too bad. There's as many different fanfic fans as there are fans... maybe more than that, b/c some of us have multiple fic personalities... Unusual I think wasn't the issue. Probably more, it was this fic and the fact that it didn't seem to really be a SPUFFY fic. I think that most of us, no matter the themes, want to see our characters -- and to feel as if they really are the people we know and love.

I'm currently following what I consider an unusual fic... Buffy and Spike are dealing with reincarnation... The spell to bring Buffy back didn't make her immortal in the conventional sense... it means that she gets to be reborn again (and maybe again) so now she's in a completely different body and with a completely different life... yet she is innately and utterly Buffy... (she remembers who she is) How she and Spike navigate her reality and her surviving friends (twenty years older) is an absolutely fascinating journey and they're still fighting the good fight. I recognize that this particular fic may not be people's cup of tea b/c it is so different, but I find I really enjoy it (it is a WIP, so probably doesn't qualify for a fic rec.) Just saying, for myself at least, that I'm open to a lot of oddness... as long as I recognize the Buffy and Spike the writer conjures.

Maybe we should have criteria.

Here are some of mine:

Recognizable Buffy and Spike
No all human. I've read a few, but I don't seek them out any more. Too much else I really want to read and great original fic that is its own thing. AH Spuffy is neither one thing or another. Others may feel different.
Buffy and Spike fight evil I know, i know, what else would they do? well, I'm not against them having other callings, but I can't see either of them walking away (unless they haven't become heroes yet due to timeline)
No 'Sues'. Not Spike. Not Buffy. No Spike Sue who really wasn't that evil and didn't do bad things. I don't need those deeds graphically portrayed, but Spike was evil. Half the fun is his trajectory. Buffy is a hero, but she's complicated and doesn't always communicate well. They are deeply flawed people. It makes them worth watching.

OK, that's what occurs to me for now.

Blue

American Aurora
02-06-18, 04:09 AM
Don't feel too bad. There's as many different fanfic fans as there are fans... maybe more than that, b/c some of us have multiple fic personalities... Unusual I think wasn't the issue. Probably more, it was this fic and the fact that it didn't seem to really be a SPUFFY fic. I think that most of us, no matter the themes, want to see our characters -- and to feel as if they really are the people we know and love.

Well, I honestly didn't feel the fic was that far from the characters once it got going - of course, it's been a while since I read it. :lol:

I'm surprised at the negative reaction considering it was one of the most popular fics on EF, but as you say, everyone has their own feelings about the kind of fic that they like. A feral Spike who has been tortured - but still a vampire - seems fairly close to the essential outlines of the character from the series as he predictably falls in love with Buffy - who shortly discovers her innate power just as in the series. Spike does eventually "speak" fairly soon into the story - and I'm not quite convinced that Buffy is passive in this fic set long ago in the past. However, it is not remotely canonical - despite the appearance of Riley and Amy and other characters from the series. :nod:

I'm currently following what I consider an unusual fic... Buffy and Spike are dealing with reincarnation... The spell to bring Buffy back didn't make her immortal in the conventional sense... it means that she gets to be reborn again (and maybe again) so now she's in a completely different body and with a completely different life... yet she is innately and utterly Buffy... (she remembers who she is) How she and Spike navigate her reality and her surviving friends (twenty years older) is an absolutely fascinating journey and they're still fighting the good fight. I recognize that this particular fic may not be people's cup of tea b/c it is so different, but I find I really enjoy it (it is a WIP, so probably doesn't qualify for a fic rec.) Just saying, for myself at least, that I'm open to a lot of oddness... as long as I recognize the Buffy and Spike the writer conjures.

That's Tales from a New Body by OffYourBird, right? I've been following that as well as her fic The Darkling which takes place in 1977 during Spike's "Nikki" days - she really likes to write fics in which love for Buffy softens a unrepentantly unsouled Spike. Lots of smut, too. :xd

Maybe we should have criteria.

Here are some of mine:

Recognizable Buffy and Spike
No all human. I've read a few, but I don't seek them out any more. Too much else I really want to read and great original fic that is its own thing. AH Spuffy is neither one thing or another. Others may feel different.
Buffy and Spike fight evil I know, i know, what else would they do? well, I'm not against them having other callings, but I can't see either of them walking away (unless they haven't become heroes yet due to timeline)

No 'Sues'. Not Spike. Not Buffy. No Spike Sue who really wasn't that evil and didn't do bad things. I don't need those deeds graphically portrayed, but Spike was evil. Half the fun is his trajectory. Buffy is a hero, but she's complicated and doesn't always communicate well. They are deeply flawed people. It makes them worth watching.

OK, that's what occurs to me for now.

Ok, evil Spike, check. Heroic, complex Buffy, check. No All Human, check. That doesn't seem too difficult to come up with a good list. :biggrin1:

Stoney
02-06-18, 05:32 AM
There are just so many different types of fics that recommending ones is generally difficult without some guidance. When you are also looking at a group there are likely to be too many individual preferences to fall lucky on finding one everyone likes every time. We've read stories too that none of us have read and so are all taking pot luck on what we think of them. I've quite enjoyed it when that has been the case, even if I've not ended up loving the story, ha. Heck on that basis I've suggested ones that I didn't even rate myself in the end and I've recommended ones that others weren't keen on. There's always the blurb and rough setting of course and sometimes that guides us enough to know it isn't a style of story/setting/premise we'd like to pick up. Which is fine, we don't all have to read all the fics but can pop in/out of the group. Some fics look to fit with canon as additional stories, but so many are very deliberately exploring something different to canon, wanting to change an aspect or looking to go off on a tangent to it. It's then such a subjective reaction as to whether what is looked at or changed is something that people like or things that they would prefer to have never seen changed. Good canon characterisation is often the most applauded factor, but even that is subjective. We've read stories where the premise and the story justifies altering canon characterisation during the course of the story (such as resulting in Buffy being casual about killing). Some didn't mind that because there was context and others felt that it was a negative factor in the fic as it wasn't believable or the story didn't pull off/justify it. So canon characterisation can even become a less important factor if people are enjoying the story overall. There's just so much individual reaction involved. :noidea:

I haven't read through the comments on this story and I'm not able to join the group to read at the moment, but I'm definitely going to still pick this one up when I get free time for fanfic because I really liked the sound of it. Others not wanting to continue reading it after starting just isn't off-putting to me.

Priceless
02-06-18, 11:29 AM
Sorry, you guys! I had suggested the fic because it was radically different from most Spuffy fiction - I guess it was a little TOO different!

It would seem that we aren't very adventurous when it comes to our Spuffy fics :D

It would be a lot easier to suggest things if I had a good idea of what you were looking for. I've read so many Spuffy fics that they all start to blur in my mind. Are there any particular scenarios or storylines that you'd like to see? Maybe a list of fics that everyone has enjoyed?

As a reading club, we've only ever agreed on one fic - a story by sunalso about Spike's penis learning to talk. It maybe shows the level of our humour, but it is the only fic we've all enjoyed :roll: So please don't worry about suggesting anything, we'll give it a go, but I think we all accept that we're not going to all like the same things.

Personally, if something is well written, (or should I say more like in a style I enjoy reading, because the Linnae13 story is well written, but it's just not a style I enjoy) I'm happy to read AU fics. The only thing I personally don't like is Buffy as vampire

DeepBlueJoy
02-06-18, 12:37 PM
Well, I honestly didn't feel the fic was that far from the characters once it got going - of course, it's been a while since I read it. :lol:

Yeah, we can be fussy little things. Please don't take us too personally!!

I'm surprised at the negative reaction considering it was one of the most popular fics on EF, but as you say, everyone has their own feelings about the kind of fic that they like. A feral Spike who has been tortured - but still a vampire - seems fairly close to the essential outlines of the character from the series as he predictably falls in love with Buffy - who shortly discovers her innate power just as in the series. Spike does eventually "speak" fairly soon into the story - and I'm not quite convinced that Buffy is passive in this fic set long ago in the past. However, it is not remotely canonical - despite the appearance of Riley and Amy and other characters from the series. :nod:

I personally am not locked into canonical, but I really do want to recognize the people and something of who they are -- pediatrician Spike and Monkey Trainer Buffy probably won't do it for me. If I were into All Human, I might read SSA Buffy and Private investigator Spike. I will read just about anything if it is done well. I think the problem with stories like the one we have all been panning without reading (something that is actually kind of dangerous, even though I'm still not gonna read it:s ) is that sometimes, the writer gets an idea they want to write anyway, and they try to shoehorn it into fandom b/c that's who their readers are and maybe using some other avenue doesn't really occur to them. Sometimes they're just trying to write Buffy and Spike anyway they can. I was not actually aware this was one of the more popular stories... It just seems as though it was being updated for a long time... I never had anyone rec it to me... but that doesn't mean it's not a perfectly cromulent story. Just not a story I ever want to read. Apologies to the author. I am open to (and may well have read) some of her other work.

That's Tales from a New Body by OffYourBird, right? I've been following that as well as her fic The Darkling which takes place in 1977 during Spike's "Nikki" days - she really likes to write fics in which love for Buffy softens a unrepentantly unsouled Spike. Lots of smut, too. :xd

Yes, you are correct. And yes, I am following both of those, though both are kind of 'unconventional'. I've gotten to where I don't really read stories for their smut b/c I find a lot of sex scenes leave me cold they are so bad... either puerile and romancy or porny (and kind of objectifying, repetitive and just dull). Worst of all, it's not real. I like my sex scenes leavened with laughter, angst, affection, awkwardness... realness... that turns me on AND shows me something about the characters and their relationship (assuming there is one) The scenes in this don't bother me, and that's actually a compliment. No, I do find them hot, don't get me wrong. It's just that so many stories seem to have gotten carried away on a cloud of badly written lust that interrupts the story. I want a story with a good balance. Her stories seem to manage it well.

Ok, evil Spike, check. Heroic, complex Buffy, check. No All Human, check. That doesn't seem too difficult to come up with a good list. :biggrin1:

uhm... by evil Spike, I don't mean he must not ever be good... just that the habit of making his demon days 'less than demony' is not good for the character. He is an unusual demon, but part of the coolness that is his transformation is the FACT of an actual true blue transformation. He can't change into something he already is. That is all. I know it makes us sick to think of our beloved Spike killing people and draining children... but he did. He said he did. I don't need it described in detail, but I don't like "Sweet Spike, evil though he was, didn't slap her around, even though she was struggling, because he wasn't that sort of demon, not like the horrible Angelus who can do nothing but spew flames from his breath, and drool acid..." And I think most of us have read stories that were sort of that way.

Lionizing our favorites (not just Spike) and debasing someone else... if you do one, you probably lose me, but when you do both... forget it! Idealize!andBash! fic is NOT my thing. But I digress. Just don't pretty up 'bad spike' too much, and I'll be happy. Real is good, folks!! It's why we love the Buffyverse... b/c the people in it are so well realized as to be embodied... They are real people to all of us. We talk about them that way, often forgetting that someone WROTE them. It's why we're so singularly passionate as a fandom. Long after our show is over...

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

It would seem that we aren't very adventurous when it comes to our Spuffy fics :D

As a reading club, we've only ever agreed on one fic - a story by sunalso about Spike's penis learning to talk. It maybe shows the level of our humour, but it is the only fic we've all enjoyed :roll: So please don't worry about suggesting anything, we'll give it a go, but I think we all accept that we're not going to all like the same things.

Personally, if something is well written, (or should I say more like in a style I enjoy reading, because the Linnae13 story is well written, but it's just not a style I enjoy) I'm happy to read AU fics. The only thing I personally don't like is Buffy as vampire

I love Sunalso... we could just review her stories... of course, all of us are gonna read all of them anyway, so that's no challenge!!

Nope, we're not gonna all like the same things. I actually come to Spuffy from Crossoverville... and it is interesting putting Spuffy elements into a story with Criminal Minds or stargate... but anyway, unique is good. It keeps boredom away.

Yeah, not fond of buffy the vampire stories. I was actually following one that was quite good recently, but after a while I just couldn't stay with it... and it was no fault of the author. Like fanfic Spike, I like warm, alive, Buffy who represents sunlight... Just how I'm wired.

---

Oh, did I say How much I love the Spike's penis story? :heart::p

flow
02-06-18, 07:35 PM
American Aurora: I am very thankful for every recommendation! Don`t say, you are sorry, please ! I suggested Awakenings by Mary, which wasn`t very much liked (not even by myself) and the Holly fic wasn`t very well recieved either.

Nevertheless I wouldn`t want to exclude any sort of fic from further readings and discussions. I remember, that we`ve read another fic, that was also an AU. It was Can I Keep You by Candynicks and although it had a vampire Spike, Buffy was completely human and the Setting was within the 19th century. I read that fic and although it did not make it on my list of favorites, I am still glad, I read it. I wouldn`t have tried, if it hadn`t been for the group.
There was also an all human fic by Addie Logan - Been Here To Many Years - that I skipped, but that others liked a lot.

And although I despise the mere thought of Vampire Buffy, I have read two brilliant Vamp!Buffy fics. The first was Slayer Rising by Sigyn and the second Not Dead by Herself.

What put me off this fic mostly, wasn`t that Spike had no voice or Buffy was a witch instead of a Slayer. It was more the setting. The log cabin in the woods, very isolated and deep in snow....I couldn`t see, that that was going somewhere, where I wanted to follow. Which doesn`t mean, I am against snow fics :D

I`d draw the line at all- penguin Spuffy fics though. Those I wouldn`t necessarily want to read and discuss. But everything else is welcome! And if the group votes for penguin!Buffy, I`d still go with it !

I am also following Tales from a new Body and The Darkling at the moment and I am in for a group reading for both of them, as soon as they have been completed. But it could still be months for both of them to get there.

I am not sure about a group reading of Demons I Have Known, because most of us have just read it. But you all want to re-read it, i am in with that one too.

Would anyone be interested in a thread with a running list of the fics, we have already discussed (including the fics, we have read 'elsewhere'?

flow

GoSpuffy
02-06-18, 10:10 PM
Let's add one more thing to the "must" list. I'm reading immortal by sigyn and it's a great story, beautifully written but Im On chapter 14 and Spike and Buffy still haven't met. Quite a few of the first stories we read had a long separation before our characters met up and I don't really like that. I'm sticking with this story because it's really good but usually I bail if it's too long a wait

Priceless
02-06-18, 10:23 PM
Let's add one more thing to the "must" list. I'm reading immortal by sigyn and it's a great story, beautifully written but Im On chapter 14 and Spike and Buffy still haven't met. Quite a few of the first stories we read had a long separation before our characters met up and I don't really like that. I'm sticking with this story because it's really good but usually I bail if it's too long a wait

Oh that's a great story . . . but Spike and Buffy don't meet till the second to last chapter! And i felt Buffy quite liked the Immortal and would have happily stayed with him if Spike hadn't reappeared :cussing:

flow
02-06-18, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but he is really hot. I almost fell for him myself !

flow

Priceless
02-06-18, 10:57 PM
Not as hot as Spike surely . . .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUhvi3c6MXc4HilMakyIElYwKlqX8da jZx9lkfITg2PR_xMg4fFQ

GoSpuffy
03-06-18, 12:03 AM
I have to read 40 chapters to get some spuffy goodness?!?! Should I even keep going?

DeepBlueJoy
03-06-18, 12:37 AM

I will read a story about Spike or Buffy that has them not meeting, but don't call it Spuffy. It's just a story about them (and hopefully enough else for me to want to read, b/c I will NEVER read a romance where I have to wait 10 or 20 chapters or more to have the couple encounter each other in some form. That is not a romance. I write epic stories and sometimes the couples don't get together right away, but my stories are not romances, they're adventures of some kind, and relationships happen if the adventure leads there. And they aren't posted on pairing websites. Just me. No idea about this story or how good or bad it is. I might read such a story... I will read just about anything if it's good and interesting... but please don't label it a romance/'pairing' based story.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to read 40 chapters to get some spuffy goodness?!?! Should I even keep going?

Forty?

Forty?

Dude, you are killing me!

EDIT: Oh, and yes, that is definitely on my list of Spuffy (or any romance story, really) must haves!! The couple must be interactive... for the majority of the story. Separation is a fact of some stories,... but let us not read about two different people living separate lives for the entire story -- and then have them kiss and live happily ever after, as if we saw a relationship happen in the last five minutes of the movie. I might survive it if the separation occurs 'mid' relationship... and the story is about how they get back to each other...

flow
03-06-18, 09:10 AM
Priceless:
Not as hot as Spike surely . . .

No one is a s hot as Spike....

GoSpuffy:

I highly recommend, that you keep going, because this story is really worth it!

flow

Priceless
03-06-18, 10:37 AM

I kept going, and it is a good story . . . but the Spuffy isn't good enough to wait for imo. I usually love Sigyn's work, but this left me cold. It was written as though Buffy would happily stay with the Immortal (who was too good to be true) but only goes to Spike because she thought she should because they'd tried so hard to bring him back, and at first the Spuffy relationship seems a bit rocky. I think it probably works better if you watched Torchwood and like Captain Jack.

Silver1
03-06-18, 11:57 AM
Just a suggestion, but have you guys thought of just choosing shorts tories to read? Ones that don't involve a ton of chapters to plough through?

Priceless
03-06-18, 12:09 PM
Just a suggestion, but have you guys thought of just choosing shorts tories to read? Ones that don't involve a ton of chapters to plough through?

Yeah I think that's been mentioned. We have read much shorter fics of 5/6 chapters too. We'll attempt to read just about anything :D

Silver1
03-06-18, 12:27 PM
There's drabbles too. You can get through quite a lot of those in no time. :)

DeepBlueJoy
03-06-18, 12:43 PM
how do you lot feel about three ways that are actually spuffy?

And why yes, there IS a reason I ask. :peep::vamp_lol:

Priceless
03-06-18, 01:25 PM
how do you lot feel about three ways that are actually spuffy?

And why yes, there IS a reason I ask. :peep::vamp_lol:

For me, it would depend on who the third was, and where the story went :)

Stoney
03-06-18, 02:18 PM
I've read quite a few Spuffy stories that start in a Buffy/Angel/Spike scenario, often from times Angel is unsouled. Part way through, or towards the end, Buffy and Spike choose to be together, and I've enjoyed some of those well enough (you get varying degrees of consent issues and Angel bashing in these often though which might put other people off). If it is an an ongoing threesome as a preferred or permanent thing I'm not likely to be interested personally. Whilst we know it's canon he'll accept it, I just don't see that making Spike truly happy and be something he'd want. Not with him staying in good characterisation, so I'd skip anything like that personally. But I'm never going to keep up with all the stories you read anyway. :p

I think a mix of all types of general Spuffy stories, types/settings/lengths etc should be considered. I'm looking forward to us doing the short stories mentioned as it will be easier to slot in reading one around the other things I'm committed to. :biggrin1:

Sosa lola
04-06-18, 09:27 AM
I have read a couple of Buffy/Xander/Spike stories in the past which I loved. I'm not much of a threesome fan, even though I've read a lot of them. Of course Xander has to be in it. My list was:

1) Xander/Spike/Angel
2) Xander/Spike/Angelus
3) Xander/Spike/Buffy
4) Xander/Spike/Giles
5) Xander/Giles/Wesley
6) Xander/Giles/Oz

Stoney
06-07-18, 03:53 AM
I finally finished this story. I'm actually quite fond of stories that change the setting/details of the characters into an AU, so that didn't put me off at all. It's interesting to see what character traits the writer decides to keep and emphasise through a reimagined meeting/context. I don't think this was the strongest of this type that I've read but I did enjoy it overall as a read. I didn't feel the character voicing was as strong as I generally like it to remain even through the changed universe. The aspect I found disconnected me the most was the sense of destiny to their meeting/relationship. Although the knowledge and awareness of Buffy's grandmother in what was going to happen in Buffy's life was an interesting aspect, the connection between her/Spike felt too placed as fate/destiny for me. Her ability to hear him in her mind because of her magic also was just too easy and unearned. I wish the connection between them had built from more than the blood connection and his awakening of her power. Tying it with her sexual maturity too just, for me, lessened it a little as well. What was between them didn't focus on their personalities but this destined physical bond and I found that less interesting than seeing how they bounce off each other more.

Although Buffy felt very different her story is still about coming to terms with an innate power in herself and believing in her strength/capability and that was intriguingly reimagined. I liked the side story about her distance from the local people but how they relied on her and how that sat against the verse too. I also enjoyed the tension of the plot with the coven and wish more had been made/explained about the forest threats as that was an intense aspect which felt a little too easily moved past early on. I think more could have been made of that for sure. The varying setting switches and the background stories were good and enjoyable, I just wished the relationship dynamic between the two of them had been built more on their characters interacting rather than linked to this bond aspect. Definitely an enjoyable read that offered something a bit different and managed to apply certain parts of the character stories/trials in an interesting way.

flow
06-07-18, 08:41 AM
Hey Stoney,

thanks you so much for coming back to this thread and leaving your opinion on this fic.

I`d like to know (not having read it), how much of the story - in your opinion - is BtVS and how much is more of an original story. What put me off this fic was mainly, that I did not recognize the characters (aside from them being called Buffy and Spike) or the setting at all.

flow

Stoney
06-07-18, 12:57 PM
Hey Stoney,

thanks you so much for coming back to this thread and leaving your opinion on this fic.

I`d like to know (not having read it), how much of the story - in your opinion - is BtVS and how much is more of an original story. What put me off this fic was mainly, that I did not recognize the characters (aside from them being called Buffy and Spike) or the setting at all.

flow

No problem flow. I might be sloooooow, but I get there eventually. :lol:

It isn't based in the verse. The character names have been used of course and Spike is a vampire but whilst Buffy is not an average/normal person slayers aren't part of the story at all. The characters' histories are different and the setting is completely unrelated to BtVS as you know it. This kind of total setting change doesn't put me off because I do find it interesting to see what aspects of the verse the writer keeps - character traits, plots/themes. It can be quite interesting to see a main character issue explored in a different context. And there are definitely ties in this one to some of the issues questioned in verse over power, other people's response to power, social hierarchies and how differences can separate you, questions over innate evil/human cruelty as well as supernatural threats, as examples. But it isn't written as if it is set in the BtVS verse no. Personally I like these total setting changes more when the character voicing still rings truer to the verse characters than you got here. Here they did feel more like distinct characters than you sometimes get, even if the setting is completely switched, but those thematic links still pull the verse characters to mind some. :noidea: