PDA

View Full Version : By Season, the order in the Scoobies whom Buffy considered the most important?

MikeB
18-05-18, 05:28 PM
EDIT: meaning the order in the Scoobies whom Buffy considered the most important IN THE FIGHT AGAINST EVIL. end of edit

BtVS S1:

Buffy
Giles
Angel
Willow
Xander
Cordelia

BtVS S2:

Buffy
Giles
Angel
Willow
Xander
Cordelia

BtVS S3:

Buffy
Giles
Faith
Angel
Willow
Xander
Cordelia

BtVS S4:

Buffy
Riley
Willow
Giles
Spike
Xander
Anya
Tara

BtVS S5:

Buffy
Giles
Willow
Spike
Xander
Anya
Riley
Tara

BtVS S6:

Buffy
Spike
Willow
Giles
Anya
Tara
Xander

BtVS S7:

Buffy
Spike
Willow
Faith
Giles
Dawn
Anya
Kennedy
Andrew Wells
Robin Wood
Xander

BtVS S8:

Buffy
Spike
Willow
Xander
Giles
Satsu
Andrew Wells
Dawn

BtVS S9

Buffy
Spike
Willow
Billy the Vampire Slayer
Xander
Dawn
Kennedy
Detective Dowling

Priceless
21-05-18, 09:20 AM
I don't think Buffy thought Angel was more important than either Willow or Xander in Season 1. Angel didn't offer enough or do enough to become that important to her, although she obviously liked him.

Faith was not important at all to Buffy in S3, and I think that's part of the issue between them, the fact that Buffy thought less of her than anyone else, even Cordelia at points. Faith was only important as another slayer, and then as an enemy, not as a person in her own right.

In Season 5 I would argue that Spike was not considered a scoobie and although he did a lot of good, especially saving Dawn from Glory, his 'importance' to Buffy was minimal, if anything he was more of an irritant.

You've missed Dawn out of Season's 5 and 6 and I think Dawn was actually vital to Buffy's well being in those two seasons (and 7). Buffy loved Dawn more than anyone else, she was the most important person in Buffy's life, even if she had difficulty showing that sometimes.

In Season 7 I think the most important people to Buffy were Dawn, Xander and Spike. Willow had her own issues and although she became useful eventually, Xander was far more useful to Buffy throughout the season, acting as a 'father figure' for Dawn and over-seeing the building of the school, those two things alone elevated Xander to second in command for a while. Taking in Spike was also a big plus for Xander's usefulness. It was only as Spike's situation became evident that Xander slipped to fourth in importance behind Spike and Dawn.

Spike was hardly in Season 8, and though I love him and so did Buffy and he'd always be in her thoughts/heart, his importance was only as an absent figure. Once again I'd argue that Xander was the most important person to Buffy in this season, then Willow, Andrew and Satsu. Dawn had her own issues to deal with and was a bit of a burden unfortunately.

It actually angers me that Billy the Vampire Slayer is on the list for Season 9 as being considered important :D I understand why he's there, but he barely helped Buffy. Dowling was much more use, as was Kennedy. Xander slips down the rankings this season because he actually sided with Simone. I think Eldre Koh should be on your list, because although he's ambiguous for most of the season, he does help eventually.

ghoststar
21-05-18, 05:17 PM
Season 1:

Buffy
Giles
Willow
Xander
Jenny
Angel

Season 2:
Buffy
Giles
Willow
Xander
Angel (pre-"Innocence")
Jenny
Oz

Season 3

Buffy
Giles
Willow
Xander
Angel
Faith
Oz

Season 4

Buffy
Riley
Willow
Xander
Giles
Oz
Anya

Season 5

Buffy
Willow
Giles
Xander
Riley
Tara
Spike
Dawn
Anya

Season 6

Buffy
Willow
Xander
Tara
Anya
Giles
Spike
Dawn

Season 7

Willow
Buffy
Spike
Xander
Giles
Faith
Robin
Angel
Kennedy
Dawn

TimeTravellingBunny
21-05-18, 06:57 PM
I don't think Buffy thought Angel was more important than either Willow or Xander in Season 1. Angel didn't offer enough or do enough to become that important to her, although she obviously liked him.

Faith was not important at all to Buffy in S3, and I think that's part of the issue between them, the fact that Buffy thought less of her than anyone else, even Cordelia at points. Faith was only important as another slayer, and then as an enemy, not as a person in her own right.

I disagree. Faith and Buffy had their ups and downs, but they were extremely close at one point. By Bad Girls, Faith had become the closest person to Buffy - closer even than her boyfriend Angel or her best friend Willow (which Willow was clearly jealous about). They were constantly hanging out, doing "synchronized slaying", went to clubs and to have fun robbing things, and Buffy was starting to be under Faith's influence - before it all came crashing down with the accidental killing of Allen Finch.

If Faith hadn't turned evil, she would have clearly remained the #1 person for Buffy to rely on in the fight against evil.

You've missed Dawn out of Season's 5 and 6 and I think Dawn was actually vital to Buffy's well being in those two seasons (and 7). Buffy loved Dawn more than anyone else, she was the most important person in Buffy's life, even if she had difficulty showing that sometimes.
The question is, who she considered most important in the fight against evil.

Buffy certainly loves Dawn a lot, but she's most definitely at the very bottom of that list.

Priceless
21-05-18, 07:07 PM
I disagree. Faith and Buffy had their ups and downs, but they were extremely close at one point. By Bad Girls, Faith had become the closest person to Buffy - closer even than her boyfriend Angel or her best friend Willow (which Willow was clearly jealous about). They were constantly hanging out, doing "synchronized slaying", went to clubs and to have fun robbing things, and Buffy was starting to be under Faith's influence - before it all came crashing down with the accidental killing of Allen Finch.

If Faith hadn't turned evil, she would have clearly remained the #1 person for Buffy to rely on in the fight against evil.

The question is, who she considered most important in the fight against evil.

Buffy certainly loves Dawn a lot, but she's most definitely at the very bottom of that list.

I think we'll just have to disagree :D For a moment there Buffy fell under Faith's influence, but I don't believe for one second that Faith was the most important person to Buffy, either as a friend or in the fight against evil. I don't think Buffy saw Faith as sane or dependable enough to be any kind of partner in the fight. Faith would leap into battle without thinking, she'd be over emotional and not be aware of everything that was going on around her, Buffy would soon tire of that sort of ally, because she'd always have to be watching out for her. Bottom line, Faith couldn't be trusted, Buffy recognised that from their first meeting.

When I answered the question I think it only said 'who did Buffy consider the most important', and not 'in the the fight against evil', which of course would change my answers a little . . . though I do think that Dawn gave Buffy a reason to keep fighting, so she is important in that sense ;)

DeepBlueJoy
21-05-18, 07:18 PM
I MISREAD the question. I answered who was most important in the fight, not to Buffy. I still think that Xander and Angel were oversized in their value to her b/c they saved her life, but in her heart, Willow and mom probably would have factored high too.
.........................................Original answer:............

Season 1

Buffy
Xander
Giles
Angel

Without Xander there would have been no Buffy to kill the master, but without Angel, there would have been no Xander in the pit to accompany him. Therefore, at the end of that season, it's quite simple. Buffy kills the master, without Xander and Angel, that doesn't happen. Giles is more important than Angel for the rest of season, and the only reason i put him ahead of Angel.

Not sure it's as clear cut in other seasons, and I don't have time or energy for them right now, apologies.

TimeTravellingBunny
21-05-18, 07:20 PM
I think we'll just have to disagree :D For a moment there Buffy fell under Faith's influence, but I don't believe for one second that Faith was the most important person to Buffy, either as a friend or in the fight against evil. I don't think Buffy saw Faith as sane or dependable enough to be any kind of partner in the fight. Faith would leap into battle without thinking, she'd be over emotional and not be aware of everything that was going on around her, Buffy would soon tire of that sort of ally, because she'd always have to be watching out for her. Bottom line, Faith couldn't be trusted, Buffy recognised that from their first meeting.

Not really. Buffy was concerned and also quite a bit jealous and threatened by Faith in Faith's first episode. After that, they became friends, but Revelations put a barrier between them, and also, a new person can't just become a part of one's inner circle of friends that have been together for a few years.

However, Buffy most definitely saw Faith as the main partner in the fight by the time of Bad Girls. I never was she was the most important person to her (that would be, at the time, Joyce, Angel, Willow, Giles and Xander), but she was the closest to her. Those two things are not the same (Joyce, most notably, was probably the most important person in Buffy's life at the time, but certainly wasn't one of the closest). Being another Slayer meant that Faith had things in common with her that no one else had, in spite of their differences.

No doubt, Bad Girls especially portrayed Buffy and Faith at the height of their closeness and partnership, because it all comes crashing down at the end of that episode, and then Faith turns dark in the next episode. It's season 3's answer to Surprise/Innocence, with a Slayer partner/friend going dark. This turn would have never worked if Faith and Buffy hadn't been very close for a while. The emotional significance would be lacking.

Priceless
21-05-18, 08:00 PM
Not really. Buffy was concerned and also quite a bit jealous and threatened by Faith in Faith's first episode. After that, they became friends, but Revelations put a barrier between them, and also, a new person can't just become a part of one's inner circle of friends that have been together for a few years.

However, Buffy most definitely saw Faith as the main partner in the fight by the time of Bad Girls. I never was she was the most important person to her (that would be, at the time, Joyce, Angel, Willow, Giles and Xander), but she was the closest to her. Those two things are not the same (Joyce, most notably, was probably the most important person in Buffy's life at the time, but certainly wasn't one of the closest). Being another Slayer meant that Faith had things in common with her that no one else had, in spite of their differences.

No doubt, Bad Girls especially portrayed Buffy and Faith at the height of their closeness and partnership, because it all comes crashing down at the end of that episode, and then Faith turns dark in the next episode. It's season 3's answer to Surprise/Innocence, with a Slayer partner/friend going dark. This turn would have never worked if Faith and Buffy hadn't been very close for a while. The emotional significance would be lacking.

Buffy's first instinct is to mistrust Faith, and that instinct is right. But all around her she has people telling her how great Faith is, what a help she'll be and how her being in Sunnydale might allow Buffy to go away to college. Buffy has just come back from LA, she's still trying to get her friendships back to the way they were, so instead of discounting what everyone else is telling her, she caves and accepts Faith. Everyone looks at Buffy and thinks she's being a jealous teen, as usual discounting her Slaying instincts, something the scoobies tend to do a lot, but Buffy is always proved right.

I think Faith exerted influence over Buffy, tried to encourage her to behave contrary to her natural disposition, to take on the 'want take have' philosophy that Faith had. But I don't think Buffy ever came to rely on Faith or count her as someone important in the fight against evil. Faith was too unpredictable and wild, which isn't Buffy's style. Faith and Buffy enjoyed slaying together, and Faith had a massive crush on her, but if Buffy had a choice, Angel would be her choice of fighting partner, not Faith.

The closest they were was in Bad Girls and even then Buffy is critical of Faith's style, calling her Miss Attention Span because she puts them both in danger, later Faith talks about how slaying gets her horny and Buffy denies it, and when Faith rushes off the fight 6 vampires by herself Buffy shouts 'Wait. Stop. Think' - that's her mantra, totally opposed to Faith's, then Buffy has to rush in to help Faith. These two are not and never will be 'close' either as friends or in the fight against evil.

I think it's only in Season 7, when they're both a bit older and wiser, is there any chance of them becoming friends. Even then, Buffy's mistrust flares when she finds Faith on Spike's bed and them sharing a smoke