PDA

View Full Version : 30 Days of Buffy

Pages : [1] 2

Priceless
01-05-18, 05:51 PM
I am sure this has been done many times before, but I wondered if anyone would like to do a 30 Days of Buffy with me?

https://i.imgur.com/b6yarbW.jpg

Day 1: My favourite season is 6. I love that the writers decided to go to this stange, dark place, the season is the most cohesive, I love all the relationships this season, especially Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Willow and it has some of my absolute favourite episodes; OMWF, Tabula Rasa, Entropy, All The Way, Smashed . . . I could go on and on, it's just a great season imo.

MikeB
01-05-18, 10:23 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

BtVS S3, S5, and S6 are the most solid Seasons of BtVS.

BtVS S3 suffers from the aftermath. Wesley becomes excellent in AtS. The Jasmine stuff has the viewers going through Angel/Darla and Angel/Cordy. Faith is kept in prison on AtS and Eliza Dushku mostly stays away from BtVS focusing on her movie career and then choosing a procedural instead of FtVS. And Drusilla took Spike back then breaks up with him sometime before "Harsh Light of Day" (B 4.03).

BtVS S6's main flaw is the powers Willow casually has in "Smashed" (B 6.09). Why couldn't Willow try to turn Caleb into a woman? Why couldn't Willow put enemies into another dimension? How about teleport Turok-han into the sunlight?

Buffy/Spike didn't become what pre-"Once More With Feeling" (B 6.07) 'advertised', but it is different from Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Riley and interesting; moreover, it provides for a massive amount of debate, speculation, etc. Joss Whedon made it ambiguous on purpose.

Overall, BtVS S5 is my favorite Season. I like that Dracula is the Dracula from the Bram Stoker novel. The Season is about Family and does a marvelous job with that in terms of Dawn, Tara, Spike (becomes an older brother/father figure to Dawn), Buffy, etc. It's solid all the way through. I'd say it's only flaw is it doesn't really have a Willow episode. Most episodes are Buffy episodes. "The Replacement" (B 5.03) is the best Xander episode of the series. "Fool For Love" (B 5.07) is when we are first introduced to the Fanged Four and it and "Crush" (B 5.14) are among the best Spike episodes. The end of "Blood Ties" (B 5.13) is beautiful and much better than the end of "Amends" (B 3.10).

Stoney
01-05-18, 10:51 PM
Always happy doing these quick question style threads. I think I've done one of these before, I'd love to know if my answers change but I'm not going to try and find it because I'll lead myself, ha. :p

Day 1 - I struggle to pick a favourite season in that I think S5 and S6 are both incredible and I don't really like choosing between them (but I will!). I love seeing the positive follow on from S6 that S7 offers too. Especially the continuation of Spike's arc across the series as he returns souled. But for the depth that we gain in seeing the characters pull apart and struggle so much, S6 has to win out I think. Such key moments and pivotal points that have been built towards across seasons are reached and I love how coherent it all is. Yep, S6.

--

EDIT: I'm adding the list of questions as a reference as the pic above keeps disappearing for some people...

Favourite season?
Favourite episode?
Favourite song used in an episode?
Favourite female character?
Least favourite female character?
Favourite male character?
Least favourite male character?
Favourite friendship?
Favourite romance?
Least favourite season?
Least favourite romance?
Least favourite episode?
Favourite potential slayer?
Favourite female villain?
Favourite male villain?
Episode you like that everyone else hates?
Character you relate to the most?
Character who didn't get enough screen time?
Character you like that everyone else hates?
Best Spike-centric episode?
Best Willow-centric episode?
Best Xander-centric episode?
Two characters you wanted together that never did?
Favourite episode of Season I?
Favourite quote?
Favourite dream scene?
Favourite vampire?
Most upsetting death?
Favourite season final?
What makes Buffy great?

bespangled
01-05-18, 11:02 PM
It's hard for me to choose between 2, 5, and 6 but I'm gonna choose 5.

In season 2 we have Buffy becoming - it's the trials she goes through here that really begin to create the woman. And there is the first glimmering of what Spike and Buffy can be together. It also has the only interactions between Angel and Spike, as well as Spike and Dru.

Season 5 is where everything gets slowly stripped away - and it's the start of Spuffy. This is where Spike makes his choice between going with Dru back to what he was or going forward into the unknown. He chooses Buffy and the future - and this is the season where Buffy first needs Spike. And season 5 has Fool For Love, as well as Spike & Dawn.

Season 6 is a season I love, and Buffy actually survives at the end of it. I love the darkness, and the gentle caring. But 5 is my favorite.

Fool for Buffy
01-05-18, 11:14 PM
Season 5 is my favorite. Every character goes on a journey and comes out of a dark place in order to work together to succeed at the end. I just think it's a beautifully told story from every perspective and has a tragic but fantastic and fitting end.

GoSpuffy
02-05-18, 12:08 AM
Season 6 gets my vote. I love S4-7 the best and I think my favorite sometimes changes based on what episodes I've recently watched. Lately S7 has been ranking higher in my mind. Even with the potentials and the first there was a lot of great stuff there. And souled Spike was heartbreaking to watch at times. That hall way scene when buffy is dating Wood does me in everytime when I see his face.

flow
02-05-18, 06:46 AM
Season 6

flow

Priceless
02-05-18, 08:26 AM
Day 2 - Favourite Episode - OMG how can anyone choose just one episode! There are just so many great ones . . . ok, right here and right now and because i just watched it, I'd going for Dead Things. It's just so powerful, showing Buffy's disintegration, how conflicted she feels, her wanting 'removed' from the world, the absolute anguish she's in. . . it's amazing. Of course ask me another day and I'll give you a different answer :)

a thing of evil
02-05-18, 10:05 AM
Day 1 It changes all the time, right now it's probably season 2.

TriBel
02-05-18, 10:54 AM
Day 1. Season 7 - no explanation because I'm at work and vowed to stay off the forum. Day 2. Touched...ditto...no explanation...blah...blah. Aargh! I want to write a paper on the Giles mini!

Priceless
02-05-18, 01:02 PM
Day 1. Season 7 - no explanation because I'm at work and vowed to stay off the forum. Day 2. Touched...ditto...no explanation...blah...blah. Aargh! I want to write a paper on the Giles mini!

Write it! I'd read it. But maybe you should wait till issue 4, just in case it all blows up in our faces :o :boom:

a thing of evil
02-05-18, 03:46 PM
Day 2 Doppelgangland is probably my favorite episode. It's pretty much flawless, true classic, pure entertainment etc

Fool for Buffy
02-05-18, 04:13 PM
Day 2 Becoming because it’s nonstop action, heartbreak, and excitement, but mostly just see my signature and that’s why:D

Stoney
02-05-18, 04:20 PM
Day 2 I have lots and lots of episodes that I love of course. But as I'm being forced to select only one it will have to be Fool for Love because it gave us the background to Spike. The complexity in his characterisation that we learn from that works so well to give layers to all that we have seen before since he arrived and then obviously onwards better informs all that we see after. The truth of his origins came out of left field but it just works so damn well and solidified my love for the character from all the layers it gave. :nod:

flow
02-05-18, 06:13 PM
Day 2:

It definitely changes all the time. Actually it is mostly the episode, I am re- watching at the moment. For now, I name Smashed, because of Stoney`s beautiful review on the season 6 rewatch thread.

flow

MikeB
02-05-18, 06:41 PM
Day 2: Favorite episode:

I don't really have a favorite, but I've always liked that "School Hard" (B 2.03) is like a second series premiere for BtVS. And it has good moments for all the main characters and obviously for new characters Spike and Drusilla.

Imagine Willow talking to Cordelia like that prior to "Welcome to the Hellmouth" (B 1.01). By "Innocence" (B 2.14), a large part of Willow's hurt from Xander/Cordy is that Willow by then considers Cordelia beneath her.

Buffy-Joyce is greatly improved.

Buffy/Spike is introduced.

Spike and Spike/Drusilla is awesome and while their relationship here is at its highest point in the TV Buffyverse, it's a very low point in their relationship.

Giles again shows great love for Buffy.

bespangled
03-05-18, 01:24 AM
Day 2 - Fool For Love is the one I always return to. The end is just killer!

GoSpuffy
03-05-18, 01:35 AM
I refuse to choose. Like Spike and spuffy and pretty much the entire whedonverse I'm all about the journey.

TriBel
03-05-18, 02:05 AM
Day 3: Heather Nova - It's only Love in Touched. Spuffy lines "And it's all an eternity, hoping to learn only love. :hug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGlhkoZzOU

Stoney
03-05-18, 03:40 AM
Day 3 I genuinely can't name any song in the entire series apart from the ones in OMWF. Yep. So I'm going to choose Rest in Peace for the line 'if my heart could beat, it would break my chest' which is actually one of my favourite individual pieces of scripting in the show.

For now, I name Smashed, because of Stoney`s beautiful review on the season 6 rewatch thread.

:redshy: :hug:

Rebcake
03-05-18, 05:56 AM
Day 1: I can never choose between Season 2, 4, or 6 as favorites. I like the arc of S2, the playfulness of S4, and the depth of S6.

Day 2: Fool For Love. I love the way it breaks out of Sunnydale and introduces a whole history of Slayers, in addition to rounding out Spike's back story. Also, the chaos demon was a complete surprise!

Day 3: The theme song is the best song. But I also really like "Bohemian Like Me" by the Dandy Warhols, and think Angie Hart's "Blue" in Conversations With Dead People is effective and beautiful.

Alce
03-05-18, 09:44 AM
Day 1: Probably 6.

Day 2: I'm not sure if I have one. I'll go with "lover's walk". It has one of my favorite scenes in all series - between Spike and Willow. Alyson is just fantastic there - you can almost physically feel Willow's fear. And Spike's instant transition from pathetic sad man crying on her shoulder to monster who's ready to suck her dry without any hesitation... It's last time we see real unrestricted unsouled Spike. The scene with Willow and his last words about how he's planning to win Dru back are the only things that make me accept "Seeing Red" scene. Kind of. Not really, but it would be much harder to even try to do that without them.

Day 3: There were plenty of good songs throughout series, but nothing that especially impressed me so I'll go with "let me rest in peace" as the one I really enjoyed. Tara's song comes second - Amber has very beautiful voice. Actually I'll put them both on first place as I can't decide what I like better.

a thing of evil
03-05-18, 10:21 AM
Day 3 Hi Dee Ho by Mellonova, it's in I Was Made to Love You.

vampmogs
03-05-18, 10:42 AM
Day 1: Season 2. It's the season that pretty much catapulted the show into pop culture and elevated to the show to a whole new level. It's not the most consistent season (there's some average episodes in there) but it's highs are pretty much unparalleled by any other season. The Angelus arc is unrivalled, it has a perfect mixture of drama/comedy/horror/action, it introduces really important characters such as Spike & Dru, and all the cast is given something to do.

Day 2: Innocence. There's a reason why it's Whedon's favourite episode. I consider it the most iconic episode in the series, and not just because it's the highest rated episode of the whole show, but because it's really where Buffy becomes the show it's now so highly regarded as. It's pretty much pure perfection from start to finish and quintessential Buffy in every way.

Day 3: Ummm... I don't know about this one. I mean, one of the things I liked about Buffy is that for the most part it avoided the trappings of just sticking in a pop song every episode. If I had to choose it would definitely be Sarah McLachlan at the end of Becoming II.

Sosa lola
03-05-18, 11:59 AM
Day 1: Favorite season is S2. Best arc, characters were all at their best, and for a shallow reason, I feel all actors and actresses looked their hottest in this season.

Day 2: Favorite episode is Restless. I loved getting into the main four heads and learn more about their insecurities and fears, especially Xander. We rarely get to learn much about Xander, also it's interesting that his dream is the longest because there's so much more to tell and show.

Day 3: Favorite song: The one in When She Was Bad, when Buffy and Xander danced.

Priceless
03-05-18, 01:07 PM
Day 3 - Favourite Song Michelle Branch - Goodbye To You from Tabula Rasa. I've picked it because I watched this episode recently and I love it so much, and the song fits so perfectly.

TriBel
03-05-18, 02:14 PM
Day 3 - Favourite Song Michelle Branch - Goodbye To You from Tabula Rasa. I've picked it because I watched this episode recently and I love it so much, and the song fits so perfectly.

That was my second choice! :)

SpuffyGlitz
03-05-18, 02:43 PM
Day 1: It's incredibly difficult to choose between S5 and S6 - both outstanding. My first BtVS episode was The Gift and it changed my life. But...I'll go with S6.

Day 2: This is even harder...It looks like a tie between Fool for Love, OMWF and Smashed competing for favourite episode, but I'll go with FFL.

Day 3: Favourite song? Heather Nova's It's Only Love. Absolute favourite song in the entire Buffyverse, the moment it starts playing I get chills & it's so well chosen for that scene. The other two favourites songs that come close are Early One Morning (don't ask why, but I got addicted to it, especially Nana Mouskouri's version which is so haunting) and Walk Through the Fire. Stunning.

flow
03-05-18, 03:05 PM
Day 3

Behind Blue Eyes. Giles is just fantastic in that scene.

Alce:
It has one of my favorite scenes in all series - between Spike and Willow. Yes, I agree. that is a really intense scene. I love it too.

flow

GoSpuffy
03-05-18, 03:34 PM
day 3 I'm going with that Bush song playing during the door scene. Out of this world. That was hauntingly beautiful. My second choice would be Michele Branch.

Fool for Buffy
03-05-18, 10:00 PM
Day 3- Probably have to go with Walk Through the Fire. It gives me chills. Goodbye to You and Full of Grace are also fantastic, but it's slightly cooler when the cast is singing.

bespangled
03-05-18, 10:50 PM
Day 3 - Goodbye To You from Tabula Rasa. I always see Willow crying in the bathroom with this one, Giles leaving, and Buffy making out with Spike in the Bronze at the very end.

Priceless
04-05-18, 09:28 AM
Day 4 - Favourite Female Character This is pretty easy, Buffy. She's my hero, she's brave and strong, but also compassionate, caring, funny and kind. She's not perfect, but I love her flaws too, she can be a little self-involved and judgemental, but that just adds to how interesting I find her.

I also love Dawn and Cordy too. In fact most of the female characters are brilliant and I think time has been so much kinder to them then to the male characters.

Stoney
04-05-18, 10:10 AM
Day 4 Favourite female. Dawn I think goes through a lot and I appreciate her character in how she copes and I feel a great deal for Faith's story too. But really it is between Buffy and Willow for me. I found Willow's overall path up to the end of S6 a lot easier to connect with and 'see' when I very first watched the show. I didn't appreciate Buffy as much the first time as I did when I was watching in hindsight and appreciating her overall journey and the complexities in the character. I really love that I can continue to see coherent progress and genuinely see an older version of all the characters in the post tv seasons continuation as well. But I do lose interest in Willow a little after S6, whereas Buffy stays consistently interesting and keeps developing in ways that I've enjoyed following, so I'm going to go with Buffy. :p

Sosa lola
04-05-18, 11:39 AM
Day 4 - Favourite Female Character Buffy, Willow and Dawn. I measure my favorite characters by my interest in them in fanfiction. I'm more interested in reading fics with those three than any other female character. My absolute favorite, though, is Buffy.

vampmogs
04-05-18, 12:17 PM
Day 4 - Buffy. She's not only my favourite female character and my favourite Buffyverse character but my favourite fictional character, period. I adore her and relate to her immensely, although I could never measure up to her heroism in anyway.

Buffy is then followed by Willow and Faith. But honestly, there's very few female characters in the Buffyverse that I don't enjoy a great deal.

flow
04-05-18, 01:14 PM
Day 4: Buffy.

flow

Fool for Buffy
04-05-18, 02:51 PM
Day 4: I’d like to be very creative and original with my answer, so Buffy

Sosa lola
04-05-18, 03:38 PM
Day 4: I’d like to be very creative and original with my answer, so Buffy

I know I will be extremely creative and original when we're talking favorite male character. :D

GoSpuffy
04-05-18, 03:55 PM
Day 4 Buffy. And I really like her family so I'll add Dawn and Joyce. I'm kind of like Spike that way. :wink:

MikeB
04-05-18, 03:59 PM
Day 4: Favorite female character

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20684-Who-Are-Your-Favourite-Female-Characters&p=718601&viewfull=1#post718601

Drusilla Keeble. She's always been among by favorite Buffyverse characters and she's the only major character who hasn't been tarnished in Season 8 and after.

a thing of evil
04-05-18, 04:15 PM
Day 4 Buffy and Willow are my favorite female characters. No, I'm not picking one, that's like choosing between...between Buffy and Willow, what are you, some insane troll? Willow's hotter though.

Alce
04-05-18, 05:13 PM
Day 4 That's easy. Anya. I just can't get enough of her.

bespangled
04-05-18, 11:35 PM
Day 4 - Cordelia in both BTVS and ATS. I also love Lilah, Faith and Darla...mytaste evidently runs to women who can proudly embrace the title of bitch!

Priceless
05-05-18, 07:42 AM
Day 5 - Least Favourite Female Character Well that's tough because all the characters, even the evil ones, served a purpose and most did it well. I'll got for Maggie Walsh, because she didn't fulfil her promise and left too early. She should have been the Big Bad of Season 4 and what we got instead was a disappointment.

Also want to make a special mention of Simone in the comics. She was a slayer with a gun obsession who wanted more power than she already had and finally made herself a vampire. She was stupid, ignorant and distorted what it meant to be a slayer and have that power and I really dislike her. :)

Sosa lola
05-05-18, 08:15 AM
Day 5 - Least Favourite Female Character Veruca. She's the only character that annoyed me.

vampmogs
05-05-18, 08:57 AM
Day 5 - Kennedy. I don't know what they were trying to achieve by including a new character or who did nothing but consistently criticise and bash the main cast, who was ignorant, and who was deliberately written as the anti-Tara (when fandom at the time absolutely adored Tara and were still incredibly raw and upset over her death). Kennedy had potential in Bring on the Night when she stood out from the other girls with her no nonsense approach but it quickly went downhill from there.

I've seen people try and defend Kennedy by pointing out that she's just another Buffy (a young confident girl who defies orders and challenges authority) but the problem is that Kennedy wasn't confident, she was arrogant, and unlike Buffy she was also portrayed as being fairly unintelligent and ignorant as well. She repeatedly ran her mouth off about magic without having the slightest clue about what she was talking about and she foolishly suggested that she was a better match against the demon in Get it Done then Spike. I also felt that the actress struggled to bring any vulnerability or likability to the role, though in fairness the writing didn't give her much to work with.

She was just a mess of a character and was distracting in every scene that she was in. She had nothing remotely in common with Willow (Willow seemed to dislike her much of the time) and there was really no justification for why she felt she earned a more authoritative position than any other Potential.

Alce
05-05-18, 09:19 AM
Day 5. I do have some bias against some characters like Dawn (probably because she had uncanny resemblance to my annoying baby sister) or Faith (I have absolutely no idea why), but I understand that they are good characters and in fact both of them have scenes I do like. But one character I just can't stand is Kennedy. She's horrible in every way. As character, as Willow's love interest, as potential slayer. She's arrogant and has nothing to show to justify that. They show her training other girls, but haven't bothered to show why. Does she have leadership abilities? Except her bossy tone that she'd probably got ordering her servants around, there are absolutely no signs of that. Maybe her exceptional physical abilities are the reason? No, in her confrontation with Amy she was so slow, that Amy could probably kick her ass even without magic. And she has zero chemistry with Willow. I frankly have absolutely no idea what they'd even tried to achieve with her character.

Stoney
05-05-18, 09:34 AM
Day 5 There are main characters that frustrate me or that I don't like and I considered picking one of those, think I have for this kind of question in the past, but there is often something interesting about them too. Veruca isn't interesting though, she's just predatory and, well, mean. :noidea:

flow
05-05-18, 09:43 AM
Day 5:

Can I pick someone from ATS ? Then it definitely is Eve. She was so shallow, meaningless and boring and yet Angel even had to have sex with her....Ewwwww

flow

a thing of evil
05-05-18, 04:20 PM
Day 5 I don't know, honestly. I like every major female characters. I can cheat and pick Marcie or Amy but they're barely even characters at all so there's that.

GoSpuffy
05-05-18, 11:54 PM
Day 5 Cordelia. I hate her voice. And she represents every mean girl in school that I hated.

bespangled
06-05-18, 12:41 AM
Day 5 While I can't stand Eve, she does serve a purpose in the story arc. I loath Kennedy - the pushy, entitled boarding school brat with the ultra rich family who stalks and manipulates Willow. But if we can choose villains, I have to say Glory annoys me so much that I tend to fast forward through her scenes when I can.

MikeB
06-05-18, 01:18 AM
Day 5: Least Favorite Female Character

Marcia Cross. No one is entitled to be 'in the popular crowd'.

The only reason I'm okay with Cordelia Chase in AtS is because I reason much to most to almost all of her in AtS is because of Jasmine; otherwise, she's delusional and sickening. She considers she's better able to handle the visions than Angel. She considers Angel can be in love with her more than he's in love with Buffy. She considers she deserves to be a higher being. Her arc is disgustingly insulting to Buffy and Willow. Since when is Cordelia more of a "champion" than Buffy and Willow?

Priceless
06-05-18, 08:29 AM
Day 6 - Favourite Male Character - Spike

Alce
06-05-18, 09:30 AM
Day 6. The Mayor.

vampmogs
06-05-18, 10:03 AM
Day 6 - It's a toss up between Xander and Angel. The older I get the less I seem to have in common with Xander (particularly high school Xander) but I still have a lot of warm feelings towards him. And I don't know if I identify with Angel but I definitely feel for him the most out of the male characters.

bespangled
06-05-18, 10:15 AM
Day 6 - Spike and Angel are pretty much equal to me, but Angel doesn't come into his own until he has his own series, so for BTVS it is definitely Spike.

Stoney
06-05-18, 11:05 AM
Day 6 Unquestionably Spike.

Sosa lola
06-05-18, 02:51 PM
Day 6 - Favourite Male Character - Xander Harris! The reason I watched the show and the reason I fell in love with fanfiction and the reason I started writing fanfiction and the reason I started writing original works. He inspired me in ways no other fictional character did.

a thing of evil
06-05-18, 04:05 PM
Day 6 I like Oz.

flow
06-05-18, 07:56 PM
Day 6: Spike :)

flow

Fool for Buffy
06-05-18, 08:48 PM
Day 5: I don't like Kennedy much, but she does get too much hate. So I'll say Kate Lockley. She bothers me.

Day 6: Okay so this is really tough. My head says Spike, but my heart says Spike. And other times I do really feel it should be Spike. Oh, what the hell. I guess I'll go with Spike.

MikeB
07-05-18, 02:48 AM
Day 6: Favorite Male Character

If discussing the TV Buffyverse, Spike.

If discussing the TV Buffyverse and the pre-Season 10 comics, it's still Spike.

Pre-Season 10, Dracula might be my second favorite male character. Tales of the Vampires : "Antique" and Drew Goddard's Dracula stuff in BtVS S8 gave some great character stuff for Dracula.

Priceless
07-05-18, 05:29 AM
Day 7 - Least Favourite Male Character Perhaps Forrest, though we're meant to hate him, so his character works well, but he is nasty.

vampmogs
07-05-18, 09:59 AM
Day 8 - Warren. He's a truly revolting POS. Runner up would be Forrest who was incredibly unlikable.

Stoney
07-05-18, 10:04 AM
Day 7 Hmmm, I'm gonna say Collin. He was just disappointing.

If I was going to include people that I think we are supposed to dislike it would definitely be Warren.

Alce
07-05-18, 11:28 AM
Day 7. Maybe Andrew. Just to choose one. I don't dislike him, but I wouldn't miss him either.

SpuffyGlitz
07-05-18, 11:36 AM
Day 4 Favourite Female Character: Buffy

Day 5 Least Favourite Female Character: Veruca, because I can't find anything to redeem her.

Day 6 Favourite Male Character: Spike (shocker.)

Day 7 Least Favourite Male Character: the Doc (don't know if he counts as a male character, but he was the absolute worst.)

Day 8 Favourite Friendship: It's a tie between Buffy-Willow and Buffy-Tara

Stoney
07-05-18, 11:38 AM
Day 7 Favourite Friendship: It's a tie between Buffy-Willow and Buffy-Tara

You've missed least fave male. :)

bespangled
07-05-18, 11:57 AM
Day 7 - I hate to do this but I really do not like Riley.

SpuffyGlitz
07-05-18, 12:34 PM
You've missed least fave male. :)

Corrected it :)

Fool for Buffy
07-05-18, 03:07 PM
Day 7: I think I’ve expressed how much I dislike Robin Wood on several occasions.

Silver1
07-05-18, 03:55 PM
Aww, why's that?

- - - Updated - - -

Day 7 - I hate to do this but I really do not like Riley.

And dare I ask why? :lol:

a thing of evil
07-05-18, 04:57 PM
Day 7 - Billy Lane. Billy was a mistake.

flow
07-05-18, 08:00 PM
Day 7: I don`t like The Master. Not because he was a villain, but because he was a ridiculous villain.

flow

Sosa lola
07-05-18, 08:11 PM
Day 7 Least Favourite Male Character: Hmmm probably Ben. I hate Warren but he was a good addition to the show and served his purpose well, but Ben, he was kinda bland and not interesting.

GoSpuffy
08-05-18, 01:18 AM
Day 6 Spike.

Day 7 hard to choose. I'm a lover not a hater! But I'll go with Parker because he hurt Buffy's feelings and that's not okay

Priceless
08-05-18, 02:21 PM
Day 8 - Favourite Friendship Probably Willow and Xander, because it's so long lasting, they know each other so well and are pretty supportive.

Stoney
08-05-18, 02:54 PM
Day 8 - Favourite friendship I think I'd have to go with Buffy/Willow because I think they keep managing to stay connected and their friendship has just shifted in subtle ways as they've grown up to keep it working. I'm enjoying the start of a true friendship between Spike and Xander in the comics too, but there hasn't been enough of it yet for it to get 'favourite' status. :)

Alce
08-05-18, 03:01 PM
Day 8. Friendship isn't especially prominent point of series. Outside main four it's almost nonexistent and even main four seem to me much more like brothers-in-arms or even family than friends. So I go with Clem and Spike as it's nice to see that Spike could establish friendship with another living being. Especially since it wasn't even caused by restriction of behavior by chip.

Fool for Buffy
08-05-18, 03:08 PM
Day 8: Itís difficult not to pick Willow and Xander. They are committed to each other to the end and truly love each other. Plus, yellow crayon.
Honorable mention to the adorable friendship between Dawn and Tara.

GoSpuffy
08-05-18, 03:18 PM
Day 8 I'm going with Buffy and Giles. Although he is a father figure he is more importantly her supporter and friend. Wanting to fight the master and die for her, the unconditional support after setting Angelus free. Showing up with all the kids for her bday party in S4 amazing. I don't agree with some of his later choices, like trying to kill Spike, but to the best of his ability he did try to stay true to Buffy until the end of the tv series. Baby Giles and Buffy had a very nice moment in the S10 comics too.

Sosa lola
08-05-18, 07:10 PM
Day 8 - Favourite Friendship I find the Buffy/Xander friendship very interesting with its ups and downs, and especially the parent unit they created in S7 and the tight friendship in S8.

Xander/Spike is a friendship I always wanted to see because they just have way too much in common. While I'm so glad they finally got to be friends in the comics and roommates again (third time's the charm), I wish it had happened on the show because I would love to see Nick and James play Spander friendship on screen.

flow
08-05-18, 08:51 PM
Day 8:

Friendship is not restricted to two people, is it? Therefore I name:

Buffy-Xander-Willow

flow

a thing of evil
08-05-18, 10:32 PM
Day 8 Buffy and Willow. I just love the complexity of their friendship, there's no other relationship like this.

Rebcake
08-05-18, 11:02 PM
Day 4 Favorite Female Character: Buffy. We're supposed to identify with her, but I really identify with her.

Day 5 Least Favorite Female Character: Glory. She's supposed to be a reflection of Buffy, but she's so one-note ó and it's a screechy note.

Day 6 Favorite Male Character: Spike. So. Many. Layers.

Day 7 Least Favorite Male Character: Warren. He had mad skills and every advantage and he used them for purely selfish ends. He's the opposite of Buffy.

Day 8 Favorite Friendship: Buffy & Spike, post-resurrection. Enemies to friends just works for me. (Plus, still a little mad at Buffy's friends for multiple betrayals, never really addressed.)

Also: the list on the front page went away. :err: I don't know what comes next!

Stoney
08-05-18, 11:35 PM
Also: the list on the front page went away. :err: I don't know what comes next!

I can still see this, so it might have popped back for you. The next one is favourite romance. :)

Rebcake
08-05-18, 11:44 PM
I can still see this, so it might have popped back for you.

Nope. I'm seeing a black box that says "this image does not exist or is no longer available".

Stoney
09-05-18, 12:37 AM
Nope. I'm seeing a black box that says "this image does not exist or is no longer available".

Weird. These are the questions.

Favourite season?
Favourite episode?
Favourite friendship?
Favourite romance?
Least favourite season?
Least favourite romance?
Least favourite episode?
Favourite male villain?
Favourite quote?
Favourite dream scene?
Favourite vampire?
Most upsetting death?
Favourite season final?
What makes Buffy great?

MikeB
09-05-18, 12:43 AM
Day 7: Least Favorite Male Character

TV Buffyverse: Caleb.

Caleb has no redeeming qualities. He hates girls and women because?

Including the comics pre-Season 10: Angel.

There's no good reason Angel wasn't dusted after BtVS 8.39.

bespangled
09-05-18, 01:55 AM
Day 8 Favorite friendship - Tara and Buffy. We got to see so little of this, but I love what we saw

TimeTravellingBunny
09-05-18, 03:00 AM
Catching up...

Day 1 - Favourite season? That's actually one of the more difficult questions... Season 5 is is overall the best season. It's very consistent but also extremely emotional and with a great arc for Buffy, and some of the best episodes like The Body and The Gift. But season 2 and season 6 are both very near and dear to my heart, even though they're less consistent in quality and have some weird pacing issues.

Day 2 - Favourite episode? An even more difficult question - because I can't choose just one! Hmm... Once More, With Feeling is great because it manages to be dark, funny, complex, witty and do a lot of dark themes, great character development through singing and dancing; it also made me realize that I may not hate musicals after all - and American Aurora's amazing in-depth analysis in multiple parts has made me see even more of its layers. But there are many other episodes that I'm attached to: Lie to Me, because it was the first episode of Buffy that I consider perfect and that made me go from liking the show to falling in love with it; several the season 2 episodes like Passion or Becoming, and for some reason I Only Have Eyes For You especially breaks my heart; Something Blue, because it makes me laugh so much; Restless, because it's so surreal and wacky but also complex and great to analyze; The Wish, because it's one of the best AU stories I've ever seen; Intervention, because it also makes me laugh so much but it also has some beautiful ruminations on love and great character development... and I could go on.

Day 3 - Favourite song used in an episode? Great question! I actually even have a collection of songs used on Buffy somewhere - it had plenty of great choices. Of the songs written for the show, I love "Blue" by Angie Hart (in another episode I love, Conversations with Dead People), "Anything" by Shawn Clement and Sean Murray (from Surprise) and "Walk Through the Fire" from OMWF.

Out of the songs that were not specifically written for the show, my favorite is "Need to Destroy" by THC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDly7xZzmg0). I got that album after hearing them in season 4, their music is so beautiful and dark and sad.
Songs that were not written for the show but were the most perfectly used in the show are "Full of Grace" by Sarah McLachlan in Becoming II and "Out of this World" by Bush in Dead Things. I also have to mention "It's Over, It's Under" by Dollshead (from The Harsh Light of Day).

Day 4 - Favourite female character? Finally an easy question! Buffy! One of my all time favorite characters overall. There are very few characters I've identified with so much.
I also really love Faith. I have a thing for the damaged, messed up, dangerous characters.

Day 5 - Least favourite female character? The Praying Mantis lady from Teacher's Pet.

Day 6 - Favourite male character? Very easy again. Spike.

Day 7 - Least favourite male character? Colin, the Annoying One. He sucked. Also, if I can mention a group - the Knights of the Byzanthium, because there were just such a stupid concept.

(As my least favorite characters, I consider those that are bad characters. Warren is certainly not my least favorite, because he was a great villain. I hated him, because he was meant to be hated.)

Day 8 - Favourite friendship? Buffy/Giles.

Priceless
09-05-18, 05:34 AM
Day 9 - Favourite Romance - Spuffy. It's not easy, it's hella complicated, it can be dark but it's also incredibly beautiful and life affirming and I love it.

MikeB
09-05-18, 10:00 AM
Day 8: Favorite Friendship

Easily Buffy-Willow, arguably the central relationship in the Buffyverse and the most important.

Day 9: Favorite romance

Spike/Drusilla. One of the biggest problems with Season 9 is Spike not meeting 'Sane' Drusilla.

The problem with Buffy/Spike is Spike decides to die in "Chosen" (B 7.22) rather than be with Buffy, decides post-"Destiny" (A 5.08) not to go be with Buffy, mostly only goes to Buffy in Season 8 to save the world, then leaves her again, then leaves her again in Season 9 (though that didn't make sense), etc. In addition, Buffy is mortal and Spike is immortal.

From "School Hard" (B 2.03) to the end of Season 9, Spike loves Drusilla. "Crush" (B 5.14) shows Spike is only not with Dru because he's now 'good' enough that he's horrified by the sight of her killing and feeding. Spike preferred Buffy/Spike sex to Spike/Drusilla sex but in IDW's Spike miniseries is happily making out with Dru for minutes and later is very tempting to have sex with her.

Alce
09-05-18, 10:01 AM
Day 9. Tara/Willow. Anya/Xander is very close second.

a thing of evil
09-05-18, 10:29 AM
Day 9 I don't know, Willow and Tara probably? They're just adorable and I like that sort of thing.

SpuffyGlitz
09-05-18, 11:05 AM
Day 9: Favorite romance Spike-Buffy.

Day 10: Least Favourite Season: I don't have one, but if I were forced, maybe Season 1?

Sosa lola
09-05-18, 02:29 PM
Day 9: Favorite romance As much as I adore Xander/Cordelia, I find Buffy/Spike to be better written and I loved the different stages the relationship took over the seasons.

Day 10: Least Favourite Season: Season 7!!!

Stoney
09-05-18, 02:52 PM
Did I miss a day?? I'm just following in a sheepy way what everyone else is doing. :p

Day 9 - Spike/Buffy

Day 10 - Least favourite season has to be S1, but my season hierarchy is pretty bloomin' flat really. I have my favourite seasons but I genuinely love something about all of them there are top series-wide episodes in each.

TimeTravellingBunny
09-05-18, 04:16 PM
Day 9 - Favourite romance? Buffy/Spike.
Honorable mentions to Giles/Jenny, Willow/Tara, Willow/Oz and Xander/Anya.

Day 10 - Least favourite season? Season 1 - but that doesn't mean I don't like it. It just means it's weaker than the later seasons and still doesn't show the full potential of th show, but it's still a pretty good one on its own.

MikeB
09-05-18, 04:25 PM
All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Day 10: Least Favorite Season

TV Buffyverse: BtVS S4. Essentially, the only highlights are Buffy/Spike stuff, Willow/Tara, Giles's singing, and... that's it?

BtVS S1 has the founding of the Scooby Gang, the defining of the relationships in the Scooby Gang, Buffy/Angel, a more compelling and dynamic villain than Adam, and "Prophecy Girl" (B 1.12). BtVS S4 has some good episodes, but so does BtVS S1.

BtVS S7 is good when 'binging'--what was formally called "watching on DVD". The only major problem is no on-screen Buffy/Spike kissing and sex scenes. The Potentials Slayer are essentially better versions of 'Slayerettes'. When were Willow and Xander finally very useful on patrol?

BtVS S3, BtVS S5, and BtVS S6 each have its own merits.

Including the pre-Season 10 comics:

I maintain that Season 10 cannot be canon. So, Season 9 is my least favorite Season of BtVS. Spike leaves for no good reason. Angel wasn't dusted. Buffy loses her Slayer and Co. Buffy is a coffee waitress. Buffy works for Kennedy. Willow leaves. Buffy for a time believes she was raped yet was seriously considering having the child. Spike says he'd raise Buffy's child with her and seems to not want her to abort the child. Buffy considers Spike and she would poor if they lived together, somehow ignoring that Spike could easily make billions sending stuff into space. Willow instead of keeping the Seedling inside her, make a new Seed and it's only Severin's death that gives the Seed enough power to cure Dawn. It seems Seedling Willow could have simply 're-formed' Dawn instead of allowing magical apocalypses to be possible again. Essentially, the only highlights of BtVS S9 are Willow: Wonderland (although it seems Christos Gage is responsible for Willow's considering Angel so important to her) and Spike: A Dark Place. Still, Willow gives up the Seedling and we never hear of Morgan again. Spike's losing the bugship results in his losing a power base and that helped with the nonsense of Spike's time in A&F S9.

For all the faults of BtVS S1, BtVS S4, and BtVS S7, they don't compare to the faults of BtVS S9.

And BtVS S9 doesn't compare to the faults of A&F S9.

TimeTravellingBunny
09-05-18, 04:28 PM

Day 10: Least Favorite Season

TV Buffyverse: BtVS S4. Essentially, the only highlights are Buffy/Spike stuff, Willow/Tara, Giles's singing, and... that's it?

BtVS S1 has the founding of the Scooby Gang, the defining of the relationships in the Scooby Gang, Buffy/Angel, a more compelling and dynamic villain than Adam, and "Prophecy Girl" (B 1.12). BtVS S4 has some good episodes, but so does BtVS S1.

BtVS S7 is good when 'binging'--what was formally called "watching on DVD". The only major problem is no on-screen Buffy/Spike kissing and sex scenes. The Potentials Slayer are essentially better versions of 'Slayerettes'. When were Willow and Xander finally very useful on patrol?

BtVS S3, BtVS S5, and BtVS S6 each have its own merits.

I maintain that Season 10 cannot be canon. So, Season 9 is my least favorite Season of BtVS. Spike leaves for no good reason. Angel wasn't dusted. Buffy loses her Slayer and Co. Buffy is a coffee waitress. Buffy works for Kennedy. Willow leaves. Buffy for a time believes she was raped yet was seriously considering having the child. Spike says he'd raise Buffy's child with her and seems to not want her to abort the child. Buffy considers Spike and she would poor if they lived together, somehow ignoring that Spike could easily make billions sending stuff into space. Willow instead of keeping the Seedling inside her, make a new Seed and it's only Severin's death that gives the Seed enough power to cure Dawn. It seems Seedling Willow could have simply 're-formed' Dawn instead of allowing magical apocalypses to be possible again. Essentially, the only highlights of BtVS S9 are Willow: Wonderland (although it seems Christos Gage is responsible for Willow's considering Angel so important to her) and Spike: A Dark Place. Still, Willow gives up the Seedling and we never hear of Morgan again. Spike's losing the bugship results in his losing a power base and that helped with the nonsense of Spike's time in A&F S9.

For all the faults of BtVS S1, BtVS S4, and BtVS S7, they don't compare to the faults of BtVS S9.

And BtVS S9 doesn't compare to the faults of A&F S9.

We're not counting the comics, though. If it were, the comics seasons would be by far my least favorite. Especially seasons 9 and 10, but none of them is as good as any of the TV seasons, IMO.

flow
09-05-18, 04:45 PM
Day 9: Buffy/Spike

Day 10: Season 3

flow

a thing of evil
09-05-18, 06:07 PM
Day 10 Season 6 is my least favorite season. Too many uninspired, boring episodes.

Fool for Buffy
09-05-18, 07:05 PM
Day 9: Buffy and Spike by far, but I also love Willow and Tara and Fred and Wesley

Day 10: Season 1, but I really love all the seasons.

GoSpuffy
10-05-18, 01:24 AM
Day 9 Buffy and spike

Day 10 S1

Priceless
10-05-18, 07:45 AM
Day 10 - Least Favourite Season I love all the seasons, but Season 1 is too short :D

bespangled
10-05-18, 08:28 AM
Day 9 - Spike and Angel are my OTP, but they are definitely not a romance.Buffy and Spike - but I also have aguilty affection for Wes and Lilah.

Day 10 Season 1

Priceless
11-05-18, 09:13 AM
Day 11 - Least Favourite Romance I have a few, but most of them served their purpose. I'll go for Angel and Nina. There seemed no reason for Angel to be in a relationship, there was no chemistry between them and they just seemed like 'colleagues with benefits' more than anything. Nina was always half naked too, which seemed really gratuitous.

Although it never got off the ground, I never liked the idea of Cordy and Doyle, it never felt believable to me.

Stoney
11-05-18, 10:33 AM
Day 11 Well it depends, in fandom/shipping terms, I find it most frustrating the way Spike/Dru is often overly romanticised where the inequality in the relationship, disregard and manipulations are ignored. But that aside, it's an interesting dysfunctional relationship and the dynamic between them is very revealing for both characters individually. If I'm thinking in terms of relationships that I just found dull, I really struggle to get anything from Willow/Kennedy other than some irritation I'm so disinterested in them.

flow
11-05-18, 10:34 AM
Day 11: Willow and Kennedy.

I can understand the reason, why they did it at all. Willow needed some hope and a closure after Tara`s death. I can understand, why they chose someone, who was completely different. A half-heartedTara substitute would have been lame. Giving her a girlfriend, who was a warrior was actually brave. Kennedy is a wonderful character and a beautiful woman.

But.....there was no chemistry at all between those two. It was such a shame, because it was a great opportunity wasted. When I see Kennedy licking Willow`s throat, it always get the impression, she is licking a lamppost.

flow

Sosa lola
11-05-18, 12:19 PM
Day 11 - Least Favourite Romance: Willow/Kennedy.

Fool for Buffy
11-05-18, 12:53 PM
Day 11: Willow and Kennedy. Willow didn't need another love interest, but if she was gonna have one, pick someone less bratty.

TimeTravellingBunny
11-05-18, 02:35 PM
Day 11 - Least Favourite Romance I have a few, but most of them served their purpose. I'll go for Angel and Nina. There seemed no reason for Angel to be in a relationship, there was no chemistry between them and they just seemed like 'colleagues with benefits' more than anything. Nina was always half naked too, which seemed really gratuitous.

Although it never got off the ground, I never liked the idea of Cordy and Doyle, it never felt believable to me.

Isn't this supposed to be just about BtVS? My answers would otherwise be different on several questions if we also were to include AtS (such as the least favorite season).

Sticking just to BtVS...

Day 11 - Least Favourite Romance - Willow/Xander in season 3. I never bought it. I needed a serious amount of other fans explaining it with the idea that it was just an expression of them being afraid of growing up, for me to even be able to somewhat buy it. The "clothes fluke" scene is still so cringey and feels like something from a bad teen soap, and I roll my eyes at moments like Xander saying he's just so attracted to Willow. (Really? Now, of all of the sudden?) I don't even see why it was needed as a plot in season 3, except as plot device to break up Xander and Cordelia, when the Willow/Xander/Oz triangle was already resolved in a season 2 finale, and will be resolved in the exact same way in season 3 in the end.

Also, Willow and Kennedy.

(This answer would also be different if I were to include AtS.)

a thing of evil
11-05-18, 03:46 PM
Day 11 Willow and Lake. What was even the point? Why are they even dating? There's no chemistry whatsoever, not even a single kiss! And Lake has no personality, was any effort at all put into creating that character? Also, Lake Stevens, what kind of a name is this anyway? B-but willows grow near lakes, it's clever! - like, seriously?

flow
11-05-18, 04:51 PM
When did that happen?

flow

MikeB
11-05-18, 05:00 PM
Day 11: Least Favorite Romance

TV BtVS:

Buffy/Riley.

Buffy doesn't seem at all interested in Riley until somehow at the end of "The Initiative" (B 4.07) when somehow Buffy/Riley are already dating. Parker Abrams relatively put 'more work in' to date Buffy than Riley did.

Riley somehow doesn't become even aware that he's attracted to Buffy until in "The Initiative" (B 4.07) when his two best friends need to 'sell' Riley on Buffy's attributes. And those attributes are simply her looks and how she is in bed. At least Angel also 'saw her heart'. Spike by "Halloween" (B 2.06) liked what kind of Slayer she is.

"As You Were" (B 6.15) simply doesn't make sense regarding Buffy's getting hot by Riley.

Other romances that weren't the best don't offend. Willow/Kennedy makes sense. If anything, Xander/Cordelia and Xander/Anya were both more unrealistic.

From "The Harsh Light of Day" (B 4.03) I knew Harmony Kendall was a Buffy stand-in for Spike.

Xander/Dawn. Especially given Season 9. Remember Xander dancing with Dawn when she was a Freshman in high school? Was he attracted to her then?

I wonder what the reaction from the audience would be had Xander/Dawn happened in BtVS S7

TimeTravellingBunny
11-05-18, 05:11 PM
When did that happen?

flow

Willow/Lake is from the comics.

I assume that we aren't counting the comics, or else some of my answers would be different. Starting with the least favorite seasons.

a thing of evil
11-05-18, 05:45 PM
When did that happen?

Willow and Lake? In season 10.

"Lake was a mistake. Bring back the snake." ~ Me.

Priceless
11-05-18, 11:23 PM
Isn't this supposed to be just about BtVS? My answers would otherwise be different on several questions if we also were to include AtS (such as the least favorite season).

You're right TTB, I should have stuck with BtVS, though my least favourite relationships are on AtS, so that's where my mind went. It didn't last long, but it was so cringey, my vote goes to Buffy and Scott Hope :)

- - - Updated - - -

Day 12 - Least Favourite Episode Beer Bad. I don't care how many times Parker gets hit with a branch or how great Willow is, I cannot stand this episode. I hate Cave-Buffy and I find this episode so unsubtle it hurts

flow
11-05-18, 11:39 PM
Day 12: Restless

I know that it is many people`s favorite episode. I just don`t know, why.

flow

Priceless
11-05-18, 11:51 PM

flow

It's not my least favourite, but I do think it's incredibly over-rated. I'd recommend the Slayerfest98 podcast who discussed Restless this week, they raised a lot of interesting points.

MikeB
12-05-18, 12:16 AM
Day 12: Least Favorite Episode of TV BtVS

* All TV BtVS episodes have some redeeming qualities.

- "Go Fish" (B 2.20) shows Xander could have been 'a jock' if he wanted.

- "Where the Wild Things Are" (B 4.18) has Spike-Anya stuff, Giles's singing, and arguably spells the beginning of the end of Buffy/Riley given Buffy realizes she likes hours-long daily sex. Plus, it implies Spike is sleeping around with college students. "I wonder if Asian House is open."

- "As You Were" (B 6.15) has perhaps the first time Buffy/Spike 'make love', and it provides world-building for the Initiative and Riley's place within it. Buffy's being seemingly so into Riley is because she considers Spike doesn't truly love her and doesn't truly want her.

- Any relative badness of a BtVS S1 or BtVS S2 episode is redeemed by some of the outfits Sarah Michelle Gellar wears in those episodes. And other things within the episodes.

Overall, "As You Were" (B 6.15). It's simply designed to end Buffy/Spike's on-screen sex scenes. The Buffy/Angel breakup in "The Prom" (B 3.20) made much more sense and had much better realistic buildup. Buffy was simply being masochistic by 'breaking up' with Spike. That shows in "Hells Bells" (B 6.16) through "Conversations With Dead People" (B 7.07).

TimeTravellingBunny
12-05-18, 12:28 AM
Day 12 - Least Favourite Episode Teacher's Pet. I'm really not a fan of the praying mantis lady character or that entire plot, and the conversation at the end about Xander and the other guy being virgins, where they're mocked for it, smacks of the "A Man is Not a Virgin"/Virgin Shamin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VirginShaming)g trope and feels cliche and sexist. I get that they're mocking the other guy for his bragging. But why is Buffy so surprised that Xander is a virgin? That doesn't make sense.

Stoney
12-05-18, 01:03 AM

flow

I'm so sad that this is one of the only episodes in the rewatch that didn't end up getting reviewed as I'd love to be able to point you to a thorough discussion of it. It would have been great to have been involved in a thorough discussion of it. I love the episode and how well it ties for every character to what comes for them in the years ahead. :)

Day 12 There isn't any episode I can think of that I don't enjoy some aspects of. So I'll go with the one that I find has the most problematic inclusion for me and say WTWTA. It is just the sex between Buffy and Riley is awful. It seems shot like cheesy soft porn and feels so acted. I don't see chemistry between the actors personally at the best of times and when it's a sex scene between them it's really forced and uncomfortable to me. And this one is the sex scene that just keeps on giving, ha.

Fool for Buffy
12-05-18, 02:37 AM
Day 12: Where the Wild Things Are just because I cringe at any Buffy/ Riley sex scenes. I just don't think Marc Blucas has chemistry, especially sexual chemistry, with anyone.

bespangled
12-05-18, 03:15 AM
Day 11 Worst relationship - I actually have a deep irritation when I see Riley. But I am going with Kennedy for all the reasons others have said - as well as the fact that I really am not big one entitled wealthy boarding school brats.

Day 12 WTWTA - no...worlds of no.

GoSpuffy
12-05-18, 06:48 AM
Day 11 I m voting Buffy/Riley but dishonourable mention goes to Willow/Kennedy

Day 12 WTWTA too is awful but one of those low budget S1 episodes have to be the worst. I'll go with the one where Willow has a computer demon boyfriend but Xander on the swim team was pretty bad too

Priceless
12-05-18, 09:54 AM
I'm so sad that this is one of the only episodes in the rewatch that didn't end up getting reviewed as I'd love to be able to point you to a thorough discussion of it. It would have been great to have been involved in a thorough discussion of it. I love the episode and how well it ties for every character to what comes for them in the years ahead.

We could start a Restless thread, where everyone can discuss the episode and all the various interpretations? I wonder if it was just too big for one person to review?

Stoney
12-05-18, 10:25 AM
We could start a Restless thread, where everyone can discuss the episode and all the various interpretations? I wonder if it was just too big for one person to review?

I think Local Max was just becoming less able to put time aside for the forum generally and, as you say, it's a very involved episode. It's definitely a real loss though, I loved his reviews and I'm sure he would have been able to highlight an incredible amount that I've never noticed. But yes, I'd definitely be interested in rewatching it and doing a thorough discussion. But I just wouldn't have time to do so at the moment and give it the proper attention and thought it deserves and requires, not with the other things I'm involved in here.

There's just not enough time in the day at the moment. :thud:

a thing of evil
12-05-18, 10:32 AM
Day 12 Superstar. I don't care about Jonathan and also this episode is, like, the spiritual ancestor to Billy the Vampire Slayer. Just, no.

Priceless
12-05-18, 10:55 AM
I think Local Max was just becoming less able to put time aside for the forum generally and, as you say, it's a very involved episode. It's definitely a real loss though, I loved his reviews and I'm sure he would have been able to highlight an incredible amount that I've never noticed. But yes, I'd definitely be interested in rewatching it and doing a thorough discussion. But I just wouldn't have time to do so at the moment and give it the proper attention and thought it deserves and requires, not with the other things I'm involved in here.

There's just not enough time in the day at the moment. :thud:

I think a lot of people have RL issues, and are too busy to take on a Restless review, so I've started that thread. I hope people will just post their comments on the dreams and perhaps we can get a discussion going and hear lots of different interpretations rather than one persons interpretation.

Sosa lola
12-05-18, 12:00 PM
Day 11 - Least Favourite Romance - Willow/Xander in season 3. I never bought it. I needed a serious amount of other fans explaining it with the idea that it was just an expression of them being afraid of growing up, for me to even be able to somewhat buy it. The "clothes fluke" scene is still so cringey and feels like something from a bad teen soap, and I roll my eyes at moments like Xander saying he's just so attracted to Willow. (Really? Now, of all of the sudden?) I don't even see why it was needed as a plot in season 3, except as plot device to break up Xander and Cordelia, when the Willow/Xander/Oz triangle was already resolved in a season 2 finale, and will be resolved in the exact same way in season 3 in the end.

I think the Xander/Willow romance was put their for the Xander/Willow crowd of those times. And to break Xander/Cordelia. I would have loved if Cordelia broke up with Xander by the end of the season because she wanted to leave Sunnydale and he couldn't leave his friends behind.

Sosa lola
12-05-18, 12:05 PM
I'm in for the Restless discussion thread!!! Restless is my favorite episode.

Day 12 - Least Favourite Episode Empty Places.

Stoney
12-05-18, 12:23 PM
I think a lot of people have RL issues, and are too busy to take on a Restless review, so I've started that thread. I hope people will just post their comments on the dreams and perhaps we can get a discussion going and hear lots of different interpretations rather than one persons interpretation.

Huh, okay well sadly I'm unlikely to have the time to participate at the moment with the time/attention it deserves, so will look forward to doing the same another time. I may well lurk and neb at what you all think though in case I can pop in a quick thought, but what I really want to do is find the time to delve deeply. :biggrin1:

Max had hoped that he'd have time to get to it back when it was due in the rewatch, it just sadly never happened. The group discussion would have followed the review had it been posted obviously. Having said that, there was some light discussion from a quick post Aurora made at the time, if I remember rightly, we just never ended up discussing it as completely as we normally do and I'd like to. I may well 'trigger' that thread again when we get to the end of S7 and raise it again then. Possibly before going on to reread the comics. :D

Priceless
12-05-18, 11:19 PM
Day 13 - Favourite Potential Slayer I think I may be the only one to pick Kennedy, but I like her :o She's the bravest and strongest of the potentials. She's actually enthusiastic about the work and wants to do the job. She puts herself on the line, both physically and emotionally in Season 7 and I quite admire her.

flow
12-05-18, 11:22 PM
Day 13: Vi. She is adorable.

flow

Alce
13-05-18, 01:31 AM
Day 10. Season 1? I'm not sure, because I haven't rewatched it in ages, if ever. By one simple reason - there is no Spike in it.

Day 11. Kennedy/Willow.

Day 12. It's hard to say. I usually just forget about episodes I don't like. WTWTA that have been mentioned here many times is quite weak, but Spike conversation with Anya about how they are missing all the murdering is quite funny. Doomed is another lame episode, but Spike's side story again saves it for me. It seems that everything is much better with Spike. :D
Ok, I go with "As you were". By some reason I don't care about it at all and usually just skip it.

Day 13. Amanda and Violet are the only potential slayers that I care about. Not enough for knowing their names without wiki help though. So Violet was played by Felicia Day? I have felt that Veronica's voice in FNV sounds familiar to me, but couldn't guess why.

TimeTravellingBunny
13-05-18, 02:37 AM
Day 13 - Favourite Potential Slayer - Amanda. I liked her. I don't remember any of the others being particularly fleshed out.

bespangled
13-05-18, 04:41 AM
Day 13 - Amanda

Sosa lola
13-05-18, 05:02 AM
Day 13 - Favourite Potential Slayer: Honestly, Kennedy. I would have prefered if she and Willow weren't a romantic couple, but as a character I liked her. She had guts, spoke her mind, and was incredibly brave. Sure she is stubborn and arrogant, but that's what makes her a good character. She's got good and bad qualities. And honestly, among the potential slayers, if I'd choose who'd protect me, I'd pick Kennedy without a second thought.

a thing of evil
13-05-18, 10:38 AM
Day 13 Ken-doll! Kennedy Still-no-official-last-name is the only potential that acts like an actual (future) slayer. Amanda's fine too though.

Stoney
13-05-18, 11:45 AM
Day 13 I'll go with Kennedy because we see more of her as a character but I don't really 'like' any of the potentials especially.

GoSpuffy
13-05-18, 04:57 PM
Day 13 Vi. But I'm a Felicia Day fan and a super natural fan so that's probably influencing me.

MikeB
13-05-18, 05:05 PM
Day 13: Favorite Potential Slayer

* Given we saw flashbacks of her, I'm going to cheat and say, "Buffy Anne Summers".

None of the ones from BtVS S7 were noteworthy outside of one managed to date a Core Scooby member and thus get power and position from that.

When they are Slayers, Satsu and Dana are far more compelling and interesting than Kennedy, Rona, Amanda, Vi, etc.

Stoney
13-05-18, 08:57 PM
AHA!! I like the cheating, I want to change my answer to Buffy too. :D

Priceless
13-05-18, 10:32 PM
Lol, well if we're cheating, my favourite was Dawn, who was a potential for about 20 minutes :lol:

bespangled
13-05-18, 11:23 PM
Cheating here too - I'm gonna say Dana. Sh had such a compelling story of her own

- - - Updated - - -

Reposing the questions midway through for those like me who keep trying to find them

Favourite season?
Favourite episode?
Favourite friendship?
Favourite romance?
Least favourite season?
Least favourite romance?
Least favourite episode?
Favourite female villain? (14)
Favourite male villain?
Favourite quote?
Favourite dream scene?
Favourite vampire?
Most upsetting death?
Favourite season final?
What makes Buffy great?

Priceless
13-05-18, 11:25 PM
Day 14 - Favourite Female Villain There were some great ones like Dru and Glory, but the one I wish had stuck around a bit longer was Gwendolyn Post, the disgraced Watcher. I thought she made such a good foil for Giles and was so good at manipulating Faith, I'd have liked to see her undermine them both in a few more episodes

bespangled
13-05-18, 11:29 PM
Day 14 - Favourite Female Villain Definitely Faith - I love her entire arc

Stoney
14-05-18, 12:19 AM
Day 14 See Faith was my first thought but I don't really see her as a villain, it's just a part of her overall story and I love her journey because it's far more than her villainous period. But then most characters that stay and remain villains get a bit dull for never changing. Dru's back story and her relationships with the others are really interesting and she's given more layers than a lot of villains because of exploring those dynamics, but she doesn't really change. I'm going to go with Dru though because she stays a villain and we know far more about her than the average villainous female.

TimeTravellingBunny
14-05-18, 12:53 AM
Day 14 - Favourite Female Villain Faith, easily. And yes, she was definitely a villain - the Big Bad's Dragon - in season 3, and mostly in season 4. Characters changing does not change that - Spike was also a villain in season 2.

Second choice, Drusilla.

Fool for Buffy
14-05-18, 01:55 AM
Day 13: Vi, because Felicia Day is awesome.

Day 14: Glory, but if I were to include Angel I might say Darla.

MikeB
14-05-18, 06:14 AM
Day 14: Favorite Female Villain of BtVS

* I just bought a non-Scythe-having 12-inch Sideshow Collectible Faith through ebay. I've decided to ignore post-BtVS 8.39, but not enough to get the Scythe-having exclusive costly upwards of $50 more.

Anyway, Drusilla after BtVS S8 became by favorite character and she's the only character in Season 9 who isn't tarnished.

Drusilla is the actual Big Bad of BtVS S2 and I hope her time in AtF--the Drusilla Issues Juliet Landau wrote--and in IDW's Spike are canon. And it is bitterly disappointing that Spike didn't meet 'Sane' Drusilla.

vampmogs
14-05-18, 09:35 AM
Favourite friendship? Buffy/X/W. I adore these three together and I have so much nostalgia for this friendship as it reminds me of watching S1 as a kid, which I think is the quintessential season for B/X/W. Runner up would probably be Buffy/Willow in particular and a pretty distant third would be Angel/Cordy in Angel Season 1 & 2.

Favourite romance? Bangel. Purely because of the Angelus arc in Season 2 which is my favourite arc of the series and out all the relationships on the series, it's the one that effects all the characters the most. All the other ships are quite insulated.

Least favourite season? Season 7. Season 1 is campy and a lot of the episodes are average at best but it had a lot of heart and it contains some of my favourite episodes of the show (Prophecy Girl is amazing). Season 7 is simply uninspired and it's clear the writers were exhausted.

Least favourite romance? Willow/Kennedy. Willow seems to be irritated her the majority of the time and not in the sexy UST kinda way. More in the 'Can you shut up you're saying stupid shit and it's embarrassing me' kinda way. Runner up would probably have to be Cangel or anything involving Fred.

Least favourite episode? Hm, this a hard one. I think Beer Bad is downright embarrassing to watch at times and the scenes of the cavemen running around campus are so dull and silly. I think I Robot You Jane is probably Season 1 at it's worst. And Empty Places is a mix of really stupid and illogical writing (how is Faith being beat up by a handful of human men and how can they withstand a Slayer's punches but get knocked out by the Potentials the moment they intervene?) and character destroying writing. But I think my least favourite overall is probably Gone. Seriously, it's just so, so bad. Buffy's voiceover throughout the episode is so stilted and poorly done, it's so dull watching the camera follow invisible Buffy around (aka nothing), the invisible fight scene is so corny and lame, and a lot of the dialogue is awful ("So long Copper!")

Favourite potential slayer? If I cheat then it's Dana but if I'm forced to pick out of the Season 7 bunch then probably Vi.

Favourite female villain? Faith without a doubt! Followed closely by Darla in Angel Season 2 and then Dru. But Faith is just wonderful.

Priceless
14-05-18, 09:40 AM
And Empty Places is a mix of really stupid and illogical writing (how is Faith being beat up by a handful of human men and how can they withstand a Slayer's punches but get knocked out by the Potentials the moment they intervene?) and character destroying writing

Surely that's the metaphor for what season 7 partly about - one woman cannot beat the patriachy (males in authority, which the cops are) but together all women can smash them down. It doesn't matter how strong or weak you think you are, together we're stronger

TimeTravellingBunny
14-05-18, 10:18 AM
Are we or aren't we supposed to be including AtS in this? The title is "30 Days of Buffy", so I assumed we're not, but several of the posters have, maybe because the thread is in the General Discussions instead of Buffy sub-forum, which is confusing.

vampmogs
14-05-18, 10:37 AM
Surely that's the metaphor for what season 7 partly about - one woman cannot beat the patriachy (males in authority, which the cops are) but together all women can smash them down. It doesn't matter how strong or weak you think you are, together we're stronger

It's a nice metaphor an' all but it doesn't actually make any kind of logical sense. I mean, the strength of a Slayer varies from episode to episode so it's not as if the show hasn't always been inconsistent but it makes no sense that Faith is absolutely wailing on these guys and it does nothing and then the Potentials throw a few punches and kicks and they fall straight down. If the writing were better you could have both the metaphor and logical writing.

Are we or aren't we supposed to be including AtS in this? The title is "30 Days of Buffy", so I assumed we're not, but several of the posters have, maybe because the thread is in the General Discussions instead of Buffy sub-forum, which is confusing.

To be honest, I'm not thinking that hard about it but since the thread is in the General Discussions section I have taken it as an open invitation to incorporate both shows in this.

Priceless
14-05-18, 11:18 AM
It's a nice metaphor an' all but it doesn't actually make any kind of logical sense. I mean, the strength of a Slayer varies from episode to episode so it's not as if the show hasn't always been inconsistent but it makes no sense that Faith is absolutely wailing on these guys and it does nothing and then the Potentials throw a few punches and kicks and they fall straight down. If the writing were better you could have both the metaphor and logical writing.

See what you're saying, and I understand it doesn't work for you, and you are making a valid point. It's one of those things that comes down to personal interpretations and in a show about vampires I don't mind a lack of in-verse logic now and again if it helps to tell a bigger story, one that resonates with me. I'm sure there are other scenes where we'd each be arguing the opposite :)

- - - Updated - - -

I know I've drifter off to AtS now and again, but I've tried to rein it in. I'd like to stick to BtVS personally. I shall try to find one of these for AtS

Sosa lola
14-05-18, 11:41 AM
Favourite female villain? Anya. I mean yeah, Faith's arc is much better written, but I love Anyanka the character more. It's such a wasted potential really, Anya would have made an amazing character if she wasn't dumbed down.

flow
14-05-18, 03:46 PM
Day 14: Glory - I am surprised, no one else has named her yet. She is gorgeous and evil.

flow

ETA: Just noticed, that FfB named her as well --- I should have known, I can always count on you, to get it right,mate!

a thing of evil
14-05-18, 04:20 PM
Day 14 Glory. Dangerous, funny, attractive - she's, like, the perfect villain.

Alce
14-05-18, 07:28 PM
Day 14. Glory. She's second best villain after Mayor.
Day 15. Mayor. Best villain and my favorite character of the show.

Priceless
14-05-18, 11:16 PM
Day 15 - Favourite Male Villain - The Mayor, he's just wonderful

Stoney
14-05-18, 11:26 PM
Day 15 I love the Mayor but I've got to go for Angel. He had the most ongoing impact on Buffy and the gang. He didn't remain as consistently threatening but he did some real damage.

MikeB
15-05-18, 12:14 AM
Day 15: Favorite Male Villain in BtVS

Spike.

The Master is literally only threatening because his power outstripped Buffy. Once Buffy is more powerful, the Master isn't a threat. Lothos is a better villain.

Angel literally is only a threat because Buffy has to emotionally overcome dusting the man she's in love with.

The Mayor isn't much of a big threat. He's killed within minutes of becoming a true demon.

Adam is boring.

Dracula eventually is less evil than Souled Angel.

The Trio could have been easily killed.

Caleb is one-dimensional.

Spike is a villain who manages to become a Scooby, become the love of Buffy's life, go to heaven, and possibly be alive in the time of flying cars. And Drusilla, Harmony, Spider and Co., and probably Morgan are also possibly alive in the time of flying cars. Spike is entertaining throughout.

Fool for Buffy
15-05-18, 12:32 AM
Day 15: The Mayor; Harry Groener's performance was outstanding, plus the character was charming even though he was unquestionably wicked.

bespangled
15-05-18, 02:51 AM
Day 15 - Favorite Villain - Angelus. He had more of an emotional impact overall. I love Spike and the Mayor but nothing gave me feels like seeing Jenny arranged in Giles's bed. Nothing makes me puddle up like Buffy sending Angel to Acathla's hell.

Sosa lola
15-05-18, 07:13 AM
Day 15 - Favourite Male Villain - Angelus in S2.

vampmogs
15-05-18, 12:05 PM
Day 15 - Favourite Male Villain - Definitely Angel. Nothing can top the emotional gut punch of watching Angel turn on Buffy in Innocence or kill Jenny in Passion. The Mayor is fantastic but not until he teams up with Faith and even then, as great as he is he just doesn't tug at the heartstrings the way that Angel did.

TimeTravellingBunny
15-05-18, 02:46 PM
Day 15 - Favourite Male Villain I'm a bit torn. The Mayor is one of my favorites, he's a great character with his Affable Evil and the weird combo of classic evil with a charming folksy 'family man' persona, hilarious lines and his genuine fatherly love for Faith - who he nevertheless manipulated and exploited to be his assassin.

On the other hand, for the emotional impact, nothing beats Angel losing his soul and terrorizing Buffy and the Scoobies in season 2. The emotional impact in season 3 is mostly derived from Faith, not the Mayor.

So, I guess I'll go with Angel, but the Mayor is a close second and definitely my favorite of the characters who were villains throughout.

a thing of evil
15-05-18, 08:26 PM
Day 15 I actually like Adam a lot, Spike's awesome as a villain too, Caleb, Mayor etc all great but Angelus is just next level. He's just too cool. Incredible presence, incredible charisma - every time he's on screen the show pretty much goes turbo mode.

flow
15-05-18, 08:48 PM
Day 15: Does Principal Snyder count as a villain? I liked him a lot (not in a good way of course).

If Snyder does not count, I am really torn between Angel and Spike. I couldn`t say, who was better at being bad.

flow

Priceless
15-05-18, 11:51 PM
Day 16 - Episode you like, everyone else hates I don't think there are any episodes that 'everyone' hates, but there are a few that don't seem very popular which I really enjoy; Homecoming, Revelations,Where The Wild Things Are, Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered . . . but I pick Sleeper. It's my favourite episode of S7 but I think most people either dislike it or overlook it. I've never seen it mentioned in anyone's Top 20 or even in the Best of S7 and that's a shame because it's a fantastic episode.

Stoney
16-05-18, 12:23 AM
Day 16 I agree there isn't universal hatred. But there are a few episodes that I think are often listed as ones people dislike that are favourites for me. I have a real soft spot for Jonathan's character arc and seem to rate Superstar more than a lot of people. In the best episodes game thread I certainly seemed to rate Doomed higher than the others voting did. And, Seeing Red, which I think is a fantastic episode that the whole season was heading towards and is such an important catalyst as a failure that believably causes Spike to seek to change as he does.

bespangled
16-05-18, 12:55 AM
Day 16 I am with the Seeing Red crowd, but it doesn't seem all that unpopular here. I actually like Normal Again, and I do believe Buffy was hospitalized in a clinic.

MikeB
16-05-18, 01:45 AM
Day 16: Episode of TV BtVS You Like, that Most Others Hate

"Buffy vs. Dracula" (B 5.01), which is why I wanted to and did write the review for the re-watch. The complaints seem to revolve around Dracula's portrayal and I always found that odd and silly. He's the Dracula from the novel. The only real complaint I have is the same complaint I had with Glory and that involved budget stuff. Dracula and Glory should have been dressed nicer and live better.

I simply must pretend Glory doesn't find Aldo shoes the height of fashion and quality. Buffy dressed nicer than Glory. Drusilla wore pricier jewelry than Glory.

"Buffy vs. Dracula" (B 5.01) in ways better sets up BtVS S5 than:

"When She Was Bad" (B 2.01) sets up BtVS S2
"Anne" (B 3.01) sets up BtVS S3
"The Freshman" (B 4.01) sets up BtVS S4

GoSpuffy
16-05-18, 02:33 AM
day 15I prefer not to think of such dark, ugly business at all. That's what police are for. Spike Because Even when he's bad he's good.

Day 16I like them all, I just prefer some to others

Sosa lola
16-05-18, 06:42 AM
Day 16 - Episode you like, everyone else hates Where the Wild Things Are.

flow
16-05-18, 08:58 AM
Day 16: Seeing Red. I know, that it is difficult watching it, but I believe it to be a brilliant, fantastic, outstanding piece of tv-show filming.

flow

TimeTravellingBunny
16-05-18, 02:50 PM
Day 16 - Episode you like that everyone else hates Well, I don't think there's any episode that I like that everyone or the majority of people hate, but yeah, Seeing Red is controversial and hated by quite a few people because of the things that happen in it, but it is a brilliant episode.
I also find Beauty and the Beasts to be very underrated.

Fool for Buffy
16-05-18, 03:00 PM
Day 16: Bad Eggs isn’t that bad, I think they vampire cowboys are kinda funny, and I love the ending because of the way Buffy looks after she comes out of the ummm... female part monster.

a thing of evil
16-05-18, 10:03 PM
Day 16 I love The Pack, it's one of my favorite episodes.

bespangled
17-05-18, 12:36 AM
Day 17 - Character you relate to the most - Rupert Giles. I worked in libraries, been a Montessori teacher, and spent a fair amount of life taking in teens who need an adult. We are also close in age, though he's a touch older than I am.

TimeTravellingBunny
17-05-18, 12:55 AM
Day 17 - Character you relate to the most - Buffy Summers. Although I'm not a vampire slayer, as far as I'm aware. :)

BTW, the image from the first post has disappeared. We need a list.

Stoney
17-05-18, 01:14 AM
BTW, the image from the first post has disappeared. We need a list.

This has happened before for some people, but I can still see it. I have added this list of questions to my first post, which is the third one in the thread as that will be easier to scroll down to at any future point than find this post in the middle of the thread. But here is the list also...

Favourite season?
Favourite episode?
Favourite friendship?
Favourite romance?
Least favourite season?
Least favourite romance?
Least favourite episode?
Favourite male villain?
Favourite quote?
Favourite dream scene?
Favourite vampire?
Most upsetting death?
Favourite season final?
What makes Buffy great?

TimeTravellingBunny
17-05-18, 01:18 AM
Thanks for that.

I wonder if we should first decide which episodes we consider to be Willow-centric, Xander-centric or Spike-centric? Apart from the very few that are obvious, like The Zeppo or Fool for Love.

Stoney
17-05-18, 01:30 AM
Day 17 There isn't a straight forward answer to this for me although I'm sure at times I'd probably try to pick just one. There are aspects of what Buffy has gone through that resonate with me especially, but also William/Spike as well. I'd say I have some traits that are very like Spike, but also Giles and there's a bit of Willow in me at times. I think I can be a bit 'Angel' as well if I'm honest. I'm not going to be specific about what aspects, but these are they. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if we should first decide which episodes we consider to be Willow-centric, Xander-centric or Spike-centric? Apart from the very few that are obvious, like The Zeppo or Fool for Love.

We could, but isn't there a chance that someone might pick one that is a bit unusual if we don't specify??

MikeB
17-05-18, 02:02 AM
Day 17: Character in BtVS you relate to the most?

I don't relate to any single character: I'm probably a combination of Buffy, Giles, Anya, Spike, and Angel.

If I had to choose one character... Buffy?

Priceless
17-05-18, 05:35 AM
Day 17 - character you relate to most All of them at some point, but mostly Xander I think

Sosa lola
17-05-18, 08:34 AM
Day 17: Character in BtVS you relate to the most? Later seasons Xander and early seasons Willow. When I was in high school, I was literally Willow. Shy, bookworm, fanfic writer and had my own Cordelia. As I grew older, I started to relate to Xander of the later seasons more. I feel more accomplished and valued at work than with my family and I'm a good listener and good at making others feel good about themselves.

vampmogs
17-05-18, 10:22 AM
Day 16 - Episode you like that everyone else hates Oh I have a bunch! I will never understood why people hate Ted as it's one of my favourite episodes to rewatch. I also think a lot of the MotW episodes such as Inca Mummy Girl, Reptile Boy and Bad Eggs are all perfectly enjoyable and get an unfair reputation. But I'd probably say that Where the Wild Things Are is the one episode that I really enjoy that a lot of people seem to hate. It has so many great scenes.

Day 17: Character in BtVS you relate to the most? Buffy. I can relate to her on so many levels from her 'coming out' scene in Becoming ("Do you think I chose to be like this? Do you have any idea how lonely it is? How dangerous!?") to her depression in Season 6 ("I don't know. I just, I feel like I'm spending all of my time trying to be okay, so they don't worry. It's exhausting") and I definitely relate to the conflict she has about loving and cherishing her friends but also feeling disconnected from them as well. I've also always kind of related to how she straddled the line between Cordelia/being a Scooby in terms of her interests/her past etc.

flow
17-05-18, 11:59 AM
Day 17: I can`t name Buffy, because her strength and her warrior attitude is something, that I might find awesome, but has very little to do with who or what I am. I admire her for it, but it isn`t me.

But I can really relate to Tara. She is shy and insecure but at the same time she can stand her ground if it really matters to her.

flow

Fool for Buffy
17-05-18, 03:16 PM
Day 17: I am Xander. In the good and the bad ways.

GoSpuffy
17-05-18, 03:59 PM
day 17 I relate to different things in different characters. I think it's changing over the years too. Some how I seem to have grown up over the 20 years.

a thing of evil
17-05-18, 04:01 PM
Day 17 Willow. It's the whole getting better at stuff angle that I relate to.

debbicles
18-05-18, 02:24 PM
Late to the party here:

Favourite season - S6 to S7, followed closely by S2 and S5 jointly. Whilst S3 was wonderfully consistent in terms of episodes and overall storytelling, I felt the lack of Spike. S4 to me was uneven. S1 I don't remember too clearly. I'll have to revert to it before the next round of reviews, however, as it all needs placing in context.

Favourite episode - tricky one. For dramatic impact I don't think many surpass some of the S2 episodes. But because of my personal preferences I'd have to go with FFL, Crush, Dead Things, Seeing Red (yes, sorry, but I think it's fantastic and it has one of my all time fave scenes, Clem and Spike), BY and LMPTM. Please don't ask me to pick. Also Chosen.

Priceless
18-05-18, 03:42 PM
Day 18 - character who didn't get enough screen time Maybe Darla, who was so subservient to The Master and then was killed too soon. She could have been a BB all on her own. I would have loved Gwendolyn Post to have a three episode arc. More Ethan Rayne, Harmony, Clem . . . so many characters I would have liked to see more of, but if I'm being honest, it's Spike. I'd have loved even more Spike, especially in S3, but throughout the whole show :D

Sosa lola
18-05-18, 05:01 PM
Day 18 - character who didn't get enough screen time Xander, Willow, Giles and Dawn in S7. I understand that NB was having problems during S7, but I would have preferred instead of wasting a whole episode on Xander dating a demon again (First Date) that it was used to further develop Xander's character to more interesting directions. I would have liked to see more focus on those characters after Empty Places. More focus on Giles' mental state after the council's explosion and how he felt about losing all those people he knew and worked with.

debbicles
18-05-18, 07:35 PM
Day 3: Favorite song: The one in When She Was Bad, when Buffy and Xander danced.

I love that song, too. Sugar Water - Cibo Matto.
If I have to pick one song only, it would be close but I'd go with Bush - Out of this World - for its description of the Spike and Buffy relationship.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 6: Okay so this is really tough. My head says Spike, but my heart says Spike. And other times I do really feel it should be Spike. Oh, what the hell. I guess I'll go with Spike.
FFB, that's what I call a holistic approach to your subject.

Yowzer, yowzer, yowzer. Look at me, managing to quote properly. At long flaming last.

SpuffyGlitz
18-05-18, 07:56 PM
Day 17: Character in BtVS you relate to the most?: Buffy and Tara, mostly. Sometimes Glory-hating Ben (I know weird choice, but can't go into explaining why lol)

Day 18 - character who didn't get enough screen time: Many -Clem, Ethan Rayne, Ben, Maggie (she might have been more interestingly evil than Adam)

Day 19 - Character you like that everyone else hates?: Not sure if everyone actually hates her, but I liked Harmony at times

Stoney
18-05-18, 08:22 PM
Day 18 I would have liked to have gotten to find out a bit more about Faith, especially her background and life pre-SD. Obviously I know that her isolation and lack of integration is part of the story, so it would have been difficult to get her opening up and hearing more about these and not disrupting canon, but perhaps a conversation with Buffy in S7, or one of the potentials.

Day 19 The character I like more than everyone else is always really easy for me, Adam. I liked him, I found him sinister and threatening. The dispassionate way he viewed the world (shudders at the scene with the boy in the wood) and how he considered and examined everything including his own thoughts/responses. Plus, as I always gush, I loved the timbre of the actor's voice. I really enjoyed the final fight between him and Buffy and their verbal exchange as well as the physical. I just think Adam was a great character, so there. :nod:

a thing of evil
18-05-18, 08:35 PM
Day 18 Rack. Who is this guy? How long has he been here? Did he work for/with the Mayor? Did he know Amy's mom? He's a dark warlock living on the Hellmouth, how does he not get totally consumed by all the dark badness? I want to know! Also, Kendra, obviously, she's a slayer in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer and she's in only 3 episodes!

Fool for Buffy
18-05-18, 08:53 PM
Day 18: Dawn in season 7, Willy the Snitch, and Dhoffryn.

Day 19: Lots of people don’t like Andrew, but I have some sympathy for him and he makes me laugh.

flow
18-05-18, 09:17 PM
Day 18: Ethan Rayne. he was such a promising character and then he simply disappeared and we don`t even know, what happened to him!

Day 19: Kennedy. I love her. I just don`t want her to be with Willow.

flow

GoSpuffy
18-05-18, 10:38 PM
Day 18 I'll give bith Clem and Ethan More votes. I'd also have like more Dawn and Janice adventures.

Day 19 I liked harmony but that doesn't seem universal so she gets my vote too

MikeB
18-05-18, 10:44 PM
All caught up. All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Day 18 - character in BtVS who didn't get enough screen time:

* The honest answer is Spike.

He's relatively barely in BtVS S4. He's not in 4 episodes and he's barely in the 2 "Oz episodes' and the 2 'Faith episodes'.

He's not relatively much in BtVS S5 until Riley leaves. Even after, he's barely in a few episodes and he's not in "The Body" (B 5.16). While "The Body" is great without Spike, Spike was more important to Joyce than the others other than Buffy, Dawn, and Giles. It's actually jarring that Spike wasn't at the Christmas dinner thing.

In BtVS S6 and BtVS S7, James Marsters is 1A to Sarah Michelle Gellar's 1.

In BtVS S6, almost all of James's screentime is with SMG. He's relatively 'reduced' to only being Buffy's 'everything'. All Dawn interaction is gone. There are only moments in which we see the Spike-Willow dynamic. After the AR, he has only a few scenes until he shows up very late in "Lessons" (B 7.01).

For all the complaints about how somehow Spike in BtVS S7 'stole' screentime from the non-Buffy O4, he's not in BtVS S7 more than Xander and Willow.

Until "Sleeper" (B 7.08), Spike is barely in BtVS S7 outside of "Beneath You" (B 7.02). Even thereafter, he almost only has Buffy/Spike (which has 0 on-screen kissing and 0 on-screen sex scenes) and his connection to the First Evil.

We got to go through the quasi quasi quasi quasi Buffy/Wood thing even though Buffy in "First Date" (B 7.14) told all the audience she was/is in love with Spike.

BtVS S8: obvious. He shows up at the end of BtVS 8.35, essentially is in less than 10% of BtVS S8 when including the Riley and Willow one-shots, even less when including the Tales of the Vampires stuff. And he shows up after SuperBuffy is glowified into having sex with AngelTwilight.

BtVS S9: obvious. He leaves in BtVS 9.10 and doesn't return until BtVS 9.21. He's gone for 10/25 Issues, and unlike with Willow it's for no good reason.

* Juliet Landau after BtVS S2 wasn't available again until BtVS S5 and the producers decided to use her in AtS S2 to prop up AtS's ratings. She's relatively used well in BtVS S7.

* Eliza Dushku after BtVS S3 decided to focus on her movie career. Without that, she'd be my choice.

Day 19 - Character in BtVS you like that everyone else hates?

* Not everyone hates her, but Glory. After "The Gift" (B 5.22), Glory could have been very useful in the fight against evil. After not being able to go to her hell dimension, she'd simply want to continue living well. She'd have no problems killing the Trio. She'd kill Caleb and all Turok-han.

If Illyria could be a key member of the Fang Gang, Glory could be a key member of Buffy and Co. Near the end of BtVS S5, she's already gaining some humanity. The Scoobies could even try to rid of Ben to make Glory more powerful. Maybe Spike could tell her about the Trials thing and she could become ensouled.

* The hatred for Parker Abrams has always been extremely excessive. Parker dated Buffy for 2 months. Buffy first had sex with him after running into her bad boy ex-boyfriend (what Parker almost certainly considered Spike).

Parker 'uses lines'. Angel pretended he hadn't seen Buffy before and 'negs her'. Angel also approaches Buffy when she's only 16 years old. Robin Wood 'negs' Buffy by saying she looks like Dawn's mother. Riley seems to try to make Buffy feel bad about herself. Spike for years tried to kill Buffy even though he knew he was into Buffy.

Parker has casual sex. And?

Somehow Parker gets more hate than Tom Warner ("Reptile Boy" (B 2.05)), Cameron Madison ("Go Fish" (B 2.20)), Scott Hope, Uncursed Angel, Ben, and Robin Wood.

Parker didn't even press charges against Riley for punching him and didn't press charges against Buffy for knocking him out with a 'club'.

bespangled
18-05-18, 11:34 PM
Day 18 - I'm gonna go with Ethan Rayne. I always wanted him to be a semi-regular, showing up or even coming in to help/hinder if Giles called. There is so much more to that relationship! I would have really loved it if they had kept up that sexual tension between Ethan and Giles, maybe explored it.

Day 19 - I have to admit to a certain sympathy for that overweight, lower class, lunchroom lady who is shown as the epitome of female ugliness with no redeeming characteristics. I ****ing hate this trope - just as I ate the fact that there are no empowered women in the B-verse, no wise women. I would have liked to see this trope turned on it's head - actually giving her a life that does no include all the other tropes of female subservience and class inferiority.

TimeTravellingBunny
19-05-18, 12:06 AM
Day 18 - character who didn't get enough screen time: Oz. I wish his struggle with his werewolf nature had been a long season 4 arc as initially planned. That would have been really interesting. Too bad Seth Green decided to leave.

Day 19 - Character you like that everyone else hates? I also kind of like Harmony (not that everyone hates her, but people tend to be very dismissive), or at least feel sympathy for her.

I think my first pick may actually be the Master. Not that everyone 'hates' him, but in the sense that he's a very underrated villain and people tend to dismiss him as "oh well, he was in season 1, and then different and more interesting/cooler vampires came in season 2 - Spike, Dru..." And sure, they were more interesting and complex, but that doesn't mean the Master was boring or one-dimensional. For a "classic monster" Nosferatu-like vampire, he was still a Whedonian riff on that who was really funny at times, which people seem to forget (I love to quote his "Oh, the feeble banter portion of the fight") and he also could get all fatherly at times, talking to Colin like a benevolent mentor or crying over Darla, which fit with the concept of the character as the evil version of a classic patriarch/father-figure/religious figure. His reappearances in The Wish and Darla were particularly good. And Mark Metcalf was excellent in the role. (The Master's totally pointless appearance in the comics emphasized how much the character had no presence without the actor.)

Also, by the same meaning of the word "like", Warren. Now, hear me out! I don't like Warren as a person by any stretch of the imagination. He's utterly hateful, gross, awful and despicable. And that's the point! The fact that he is all those things, but a regular human, just your nerd next door who went to the high school with you. Fans hate Warren as they should, but I rarely ever see him mentioned on any list of great Buffy villains. And he is extremely underrated as a villain. The fact that we all hate him so much is a testament to that.

Sosa lola
19-05-18, 12:28 AM
Day 19 - Character you like that everyone else hates? Riley Finn. I seriously don't get the hate. He was a very well mannered gentleman and respected Buffy and her choices.

MikeB
19-05-18, 01:51 AM
Day 19 - Character in BtVS you like that everyone else hates:

* I also want to add Dawn Summers.

Buffy in BtVS S5 turns 20 years old in "Blood Ties" (B 5.13) and Dawn is 14 years old in "Crush" (B 5.14). Buffy is likely 14 years old when Called, so when Dawn was 7 years old. Dawn's essentially grown up as the younger sister of the Slayer. Dawn at least knows about some of the Buffy/Angel stuff. Dawn at least knows about some of the bad things Faith did including trying to 'kill' Buffy.

Dawn deals extraordinarily well with suddenly learning she's the Key. Dawn gets serious abandonment issues in BtVS S6 given Hank is in another country, Joyce died in BtVS S5, Buffy is hardly around, Spike is not around, etc. "Normal Again" (B 6.17) is especially brutal for Dawn.

Dawn in BtVS S7 deals with Buffy's considering the Potentials Slayer more important than Dawn. Dawn becomes a quasi-Watcher.

BtVS S8 has Dawn dealing with extraordinary circumstances. And the same in BtVS S9.

In ways, I consider Dawn more heroic in "The Gift" (B 5.22) than Xander in "The Zeppo" (B 3.13) and "Grave" (B 6.22) and Spike in "Chosen" (B 7.22).

Alce
19-05-18, 06:44 AM
Day 17. I rarely relate completely to any character and there is no such character in BtVS. Giles, Xander and Spike are those I relate the most of all.

Day 18. Giles. I want to know more about him. He's really feel absent in later seasons.

Day 19. Kendra. I like her. It also helps that I've seen earlier seasons dubbed on local TV and therefore couldn't be turned off by horrible accent she has. What idiot had thought this was good idea to give her one?

Priceless
19-05-18, 09:51 AM
Day 19 - character you like that everyone else hates I don't know about 'everyone' but I love Dawn, I think she's amazing and has so much to deal with. I thought, over the years, she's become more popular, but I still hear people hating on her. I also love Cordy, who's become far more popular over the years (except for GoSpuffy :)) I also like Kennedy, she's strong and confident and the only potential who wants to fight, I also admire her business know-how in the comics :)

a thing of evil
19-05-18, 10:15 AM
Day 19 I like Veruca. :bolt:

I don't get the hate, Veruca's pretty interesting and I can totally see why Oz would sleep with her :flypig:

Priceless
19-05-18, 10:40 PM
Day 20 - Best Spike-centric Episode Intervention. So much to love in this episode; the Buffybot, and how Spike had her programmed and what she means to him, an advancement in his love/understanding of Buffy. I love how he stands up to Glory and protects Dawn and the way Buffy rewards him with a kiss, it's just a beautiful moment. Buffy doesn't kiss people on the lips if she doesn't care about them, and this is the moment when her mind begins to change about him, it's a tiny change, but it's there and I love it.

Sosa lola
19-05-18, 10:51 PM
Day 20 - Best Spike-centric Episode Fool For Love.

Stoney
19-05-18, 11:40 PM
Day 20 With such a rich arc through the show there are a great number of excellent character episodes for Spike, key moments along his journey and then so many for his progress when souled throughout S7. But it has to be Fool for Love. I can't praise it enough really as it revealed the background which was a major part of what helped Spike grow to becoming my favourite fictional character. It gave depth and worked so well in hindsight, adding layers to all that we'd seen before and enriching what was to come. It was unexpected but so cleverly cohesive and on most days I'd say is my favourite episode of the whole series.

bespangled
20-05-18, 12:01 AM
Day 20 - Best Spike-centric Episode - Fool For Love
What Stoney said!

MikeB
20-05-18, 01:06 AM

Day 20: Best Spike-centric episode of BtVS

* That James Marsters didn't win an Emmy for "Fool For Love" (B 5.07) made millions lose credibility in the Emmys. The Emmys were forever tarnished because it was obvious The West Wing was only winning as an F-U to United States President George Walker Bush.

- The Golden Globes kept its credibility because of its movie/film side. But its TV side was forever tarnished by not giving awards to BtVS.

* I consider James should have won the Emmy for BtVS S4, BtVS S5, BtVS S6, and BtVS S7 and probably the guest star Emmy for BtVS S2.

I consider Sarah Michelle Gellar should have the Emmys instead of Allison Janney. I consider Janney still gets residual cred for being C.J. Cregg.

* In terms of overall quality, in ways, "School Hard" (B 2.03) is the best Spike-centric episode because it forever changes the Buffyverse. It's a second Series Premiere. After "Lovers Walk" (B 3.08), most of the "Spike-centric" episodes are really Buffy/Spike episodes, with some having Spike/Drusilla also in there.

If one doesn't care about Buffy/Spike, is "Fool For Love" (B 5.07) the best episode? Spike tells his backstory to Buffy during a 'date', tries to kiss her, and the ending scene is incredibly Buffy/Spike.

"Crush" (B 5.14) is about Spike trying to date Buffy.

"Beneath You" (B 7.02) is about Buffy/Spike.

"Lies My Parents Told Me" (B 7.17) is about Buffy/Spike.

It's interesting when you consider that "The Zeppo" (B 3.13) and "The Replacement" (B 5.03) aren't about Xander/Cordy and Xander/Anya respectively. Willow's episodes are about Willow. Giles's episodes are about Giles. Oz's episodes are about Oz. Faith's episodes are about Faith. Even "School Hard" (B 2.03) is about Spike/Drusilla and Buffy/Spike.

Even "The Initiative" (B 4.07) has Willow/Spike.

Buffy/Angel is the reason there is no Angel-centric episode of BtVS.

* "Fool For Love" (B 5.07) suffers a bit because of the Buffy/Riley stuff.

* "Crush" (B 5.14) suffers because Joyce's brain tumor must have made her feelings and regard toward Spike change. Back in "Becoming Part II" (B 2.22), Joyce herself wanted to date Spike. Joyce in "Lovers Walk" (B 3.08) would have preferred Buffy/Spike to Buffy/Angel. Buffy's literally locking Spike out of her life is kinda odd. Buffy just recently in "Out of My Mind" (B 5.04) told Riley she considered dating Spike. Buffy after "Crush" either forgets she locked Spike out of her house or assumes Dawn (or Joyce) already invited him back in.

* "Lies My Parents Told Me" (B 7.17) suffers from Robin Wood and Rupert Giles being delusional. They both think they can murder Spike and Buffy will still be okay with them.

* "Beneath You" (B 7.02) is incredibly well-acted by James Marsters and Sarah Michelle Gellar is excellent as well. But its also used to keep Buffy/Spike apart until "Sleeper" (B 7.08) but really "Never Leave Me" (B 7.09). Dawn's antagonism toward Spike affects Buffy/Spike in BtVS S8.

* Although not quite as well-acted as later episodes, "School Hard" (B 2.03) is nevertheless a perfect episode of BtVS. It fully establishes Cordelia as a Scooby. It establishes Joyce eventually supporting Buffy's Slaying. It gives info on how Sunnydale is run including referencing The Mayor. It establishes Buffy/Spike without being a Buffy/Spike episode. It plants the seeds of what we learn of the Fanged Four. It further shows Giles's love for Buffy. It establishes Willow's considering herself better than Cordelia. In addition, it shows that a vampire can be very dangerous without needing to be over 880 years old (The Master), probably well over 1,000 years old (Lothos), etc. Spike easily knocks out a vampire who is perhaps over 2,000 years old. Later, we have Drusilla, Mr. Trick, Sunday, Holden Webster, etc.

a thing of evil
20-05-18, 10:35 AM
Day 20 I wanted to be original but yeah, it's Fool for Love. 70s punk Spike is just amazing!

Silver1
20-05-18, 12:14 PM
Day 20 I wanted to be original but yeah, it's Fool for Love. 70s punk Spike is just amazing!

Oh lord yes. One of the best episodes and incarnations of Spike ever. :D

https://s7.postimg.cc/p4o0kbrjf/screenshot_03dd.jpg

But then they had me at the heavy eyeliner and upswept hair. :lol:

flow
20-05-18, 02:39 PM
Day 20:

Just because Fool For Love has already been mentioned several times, I am going to go for School Hard.

"It won`t hurt at all"
"No, Spike. It`s gonna hurt a lot."

And it did. :xd

flow

Stoney
20-05-18, 03:42 PM
Oh lord yes. One of the best episodes and incarnations of Spike ever. :D

That screencap is gorgeous, is it another HD one? Can I steal a copy? :pray:

Sosa lola
20-05-18, 03:54 PM
Day 21: Best Willow-centric episode? I have recently watched Same Place, Same Time, and I just adore Willow in it. I love how she interacts with Anya and Spike in the episode. It's such a shame we didn't get to see Willow and Spike bonding in S7. Personally the Willow/Anya stuff are just amazing. There was more chemistry there than both Xander/Anya and Willow/Tara IMO.

Silver1
20-05-18, 03:58 PM
That screencap is gorgeous, is it another HD one? Can I steal a copy? :pray:

Yes It's from that HD Tumblr and to help matters further I ran It through shop. Of course you can have it. :)

Priceless
20-05-18, 11:01 PM
Day 21 - Best Willow-centric Episode I love Willow's Season 6 arc so I'll pick Two To Go. Willow is so brutal, not worrying about Buffy or Xander becoming collateral damage or creepily threatening to turn Dawn back into a ball of energy. She's so wonderfully cruel and nasty.

MikeB
21-05-18, 01:06 AM
Day 21: Best Willow-centric episode of TV BtVS

"Doppelgangland" (B 3.16). Second to Buffy herself, this solidifies Willow as the second most important and loved member of Buffy and Co. "The Replacement" (B 5.03) is a lesser version on "Doppelgangland".

The only negative about the episode is a huge positive for Willow. I forget the Buffy-Faith drama/competition is in the episode. I forget that the furthering of Faith-The Mayor is in the episode.

I remember "The Replacement" (B 5.03) has Spike's beginning his Buffy shrine. I remember the ending with Riley considering Buffy doesn't love Riley.

"Doppelgangland" (B 3.16) introduces the notion that Willow and Xander are eviler than Buffy even though Buffy has Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike. Vampire Buffy is good. Vampire Willow and Vampire Xander are evil.

Fool for Buffy
21-05-18, 02:53 AM
Day 20: Becoming part 2 is kinda Spike-centric and that's my favorite episode. But that's really me reaching in order to not say Fool for Love like everyone else. Of course Fool for Love is my namesake so I really should say that :D

Day 21: Doppelgangland is hilarious, but I think Grave is the best Willow episode.

bespangled
21-05-18, 04:17 AM
Day 21 - Dopple for me too!

Stoney
21-05-18, 05:20 AM
Huh, I thought I'd posted a best Willow one but I can't see it. I'm clearly losing it.

Day 21 I love Same Time, Same Place so I think it would be that out of what are generally considered the Willow-centric eps but I kind of think of Halloween as a Willow ep specifically too. It's a great example of her taking charge when needed and also explores her insecurities too, so if I don't have to be traditional about it I'll pick that one.

a thing of evil
21-05-18, 10:32 AM
Day 21 Doppelgangland. It's one of my favorite BtVS episodes.

debbicles
21-05-18, 10:46 AM
Wow I am so behind with this.
Favourite female character: I used to love Willow best for the first few seasons. But now it's Buffy.
Least favourite female character: Close tie between Veruca and Kennedy.

Favourite male character - oh that's a really tough one. Let me think...what's the name of that guy with the bleached hair?
Least favourite male character: not sure I have one. Oh wait, yes, Warren and Parker.
Favourite friendship - Spike and Dawn, until it was derailed by Seeing Red.

vampmogs
22-05-18, 12:13 PM
Day 20 - Favourite Spike centric episode Definitely Fool For Love.

Day 21 - Favourite Willow centric episode Without a doubt Dopplegangland. It's pretty much a perfect episode from start to finish and it lays the groundwork for a lot of Willow's future development. It also contains some of my favourite Willow moments ("I believe those chicken feet are mine!") and Alyson Hannigan does a great job playing both Willows.

MikeB
22-05-18, 12:38 PM
Day 22: Best Xander-Centric Episode:

* "The Replacement" (B 5.03). It's a lesser version of "Doppelgangland" (B 3.16), but it works nonetheless. Xander somehow still needed some confidence. Dating Cordy somehow didn't inspire him to study more and go to college. Dating Anya somehow didn't get him to strive to earn more money. Seeing a "better" version of himself did.

"The Replacement" is telling given Xander was anywhere from 19-20 years old and yet it seems he never checked his FICO Score (and maybe didn't even know how to check it).

The negative for "The Replacement" is you remember it as the episode Spike begins his "Buffy shrine". In "Doppelgangland", you forget the Buffy-Faith stuff until you re-watch the episode.

Here's the list below. I assume some have no idea what the next day is about and don't want to bother to go back through the pages to find the list:

1. Favourite season?
2. Favourite episode?
3. Favourite song used in an episode?
4. Favourite female character?
5. Least favourite female character?
6. Favourite male character?
7. Least favourite male character?
8. Favourite friendship?
9. Favourite romance?
10. Least favourite season?
11. Least favourite romance?
12. Least favourite episode?
13. Favourite potential slayer?
14. Favourite female villain?
15. Favourite male villain?
16. Episode you like that everyone else hates?
17. Character you relate to the most?
18. Character who didn't get enough screen time?
19. Character you like that everyone else hates?
20. Best Spike-centric episode?
21. Best Willow-centric episode?
22. Best Xander-centric episode?
23. Two characters you wanted together that never did?
24. Favourite episode of Season I?
25. Favourite quote?
26. Favourite dream scene?
27. Favourite vampire?
28. Most upsetting death?
29. Favourite season final?
30. What makes Buffy great?

TimeTravellingBunny
22-05-18, 01:22 PM
The thing with these latest questions is: 1) we haven't defined which episodes are x-centric, and 2) if we take too narrowly, there really aren't that many episodes to choose from (just 3-4 for each character)...

Day 20 - Favourite Spike centric episode Does Intervention count? I'll say yes, it's already been mentioned. Otherwise, pretty much everyone is going to choose Fool for Love, which gets boring after a few posts. Intervention is not fully Spike centric and has important Buffy moments with her worrying about her ability to love, her vision quest and the message from the First Slayer... I actually like it better because of that. (It's always bugged me that Buffy seems OOC when she says "You're beneath me", does that even sound like a line she would say? They just wanted the parallel with Cecily so badly.)

Day 20 - Favourite Willow centric episode Does Something Blue count? It is centered around Willow's pain and Willow's issues with her friends. Otherwise, I'd have to go with Doppelgangland (what a surprise...).

Day 21 - Favourite Xander centric episode The Zeppo is interesting with its POV structure, but it also doesn't make sense in many aspects. I really like Hell's Bells, so I'm going to go with that one.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 03:37 PM
Day 21 - Favourite Xander centric episode The Zeppo. It's different and I love seeing the world through Xander's unreliable narration. The Bangel scene for example was a hoot. It probably looks as melodramatic to a lot of the fans who aren't into it.

It was also the first episode I ever watched from beginning to end so it has a special place in my heart. The Xander in this episode is my favorite Xander ever. Keeping his cool while facing down death (it also started a lot suicidal Xander theories and fics) and the fact that he didn't tell anyone in the end because what matters is that he knew he mattered. Love that confident smile as he walks away from Cordelia.

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 04:15 PM
My favorite Xander episode is Potential. You see his growth. You see his ability to build up a friend and you see him shine! I think his speech in Potential may well be the best speech by anyone in the entire series. Xander embodies the series and also all of us normies. He is extraordinary. I cannot watch without crying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZ7YCeE4pQ

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 05:09 PM
My favorite xander episode is potential. You see his growth. You see his ability to build up a friend and you see him shine! I think his speech in Potential may well be the best speech by anyone in the entire seriesXander embodies the series and also all of us normies. He is extraordinary. I cannot watch without crying.

I used to hate the Xander speech because it felt more like Xander giving in to his limits. Back in high school, his character was so full of fire and life. He challenged those limits and succeeded in proving himself on more than one occasion. I saw the speech in Potential as the end of Xander's arc. He's finally at peace with himself and accepted his role, and it felt so sad that he'd lost the will to try and be more.

Now with the comics, this is just a stop, because Xander's arc isn't done yet. So I'm more able to accept this scene because in S8, the fire in Xander will be back and he'll be second in command and S10 will deal with his anger issues.

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 05:27 PM
I love that song, too. Sugar Water - Cibo Matto.
If I have to pick one song only, it would be close but I'd go with Bush - Out of this World - for its description of the Spike and Buffy relationship.

- - - Updated - - -

FFB, that's what I call a holistic approach to your subject.

Yowzer, yowzer, yowzer. Look at me, managing to quote properly. At long flaming last.

For me, there's a lot of music of Buffy that I have come to love... too much to name. It's amazing how much music there is on the show that is there playing just under conscious perception -- until you hear it again after listening to the music separate from the show... I programmed my slacker with a couple of Buffy stations when you could do that more easily and when I still could deal with Slacker... For a while i have stations that played almost every song that ever appeared on Buffy. I listen to a few channels on youtube now that have many, but not all of them... some seem to have vanished, unfortunately.

I love Out of this World - Bush -and probably it ties for me with Blue by Angie Hart... (from Conversations with Dead People. This has to be the best pairing of a song and an episode in the entire series)

I also love in no particular order: Key by Devics, everything on the show by Aimee Mann (I love when she says 'i hate playing vampire towns' - that is priceless!!) Virgin State of Mind - K's Choice and so many others. There was so much great music (and one bad Cher song) on the series. Totally memorable. Sad about Cher though. She had so many great songs... :p

- - - Updated - - -

I used to hate the Xander speech because it felt more like Xander giving in to his limits. Back in high school, his character was so full of fire and life. He challenged those limits and succeeded in proving himself on more than one occasion. I saw the speech in Potential as the end of Xander's arc. He's finally at peace with himself and accepted his role, and it felt so sad that he'd lost the will to try and be more.

Now with the comics, this is just a stop, because Xander's arc isn't done yet. So I'm more able to accept this scene because in S8, the fire in Xander will be back and he'll be second in command and S10 will deal with his anger issues.

Recognizing reality isn't the same as accepting limits. We have to know what we can do, and where we are, because we cannot move forward if we don't know ourselves. I don't think he's ordinary. I think that someone who does all he did with none of the training, natural abilities or magic of his friends, is someone who is immensely resourceful and determined. It takes a great deal of strength, moral agency and maturity to show up when you are so far outclassed in conventional terms.

The thing that people don't realize... No army moves without its engineers. A war is not won by the flying ace. It's won by the flying ace flying in a plane designed by a nameless engineer and architects, built by a bunch of grunts (in some of our wars, those nameless grunts were mostly women), transported by a transport pilot. The ace is trained by a trainer. He's taught in officer school by an officer, by countless NCOs, by scoutmasters, by teachers, by mom... We are NEVER an army of one. We're an army of one (or more often many), EACH supported by THOUSANDS.

So next time someone says 'i'm just a cog in a machine', ask them if the machine runs without them. If the answer is yes, they're in the wrong machine... but most of the time... the EMT doesn't bring the car crash victim to the hospital where the orderly and nurses bring the victim to the OR without a bystander who calls for help, or a dispatcher who sends the ambulance out.

So... Xander... is magnificent. As an ORDINARY man. Because he's not ordinary. He's THERE. How many other people who didn't have any special 'something' where there in Sunnydale in those last days?

Everyone there was a magician/mage, slayer, potential, watcher, demon or ex demon... or even an ex-key.

So, out of those people, how many of them had saved the world with no special skills?

Oh yeah, just one.

And he did it more than one time.

Sometimes, ORDINARY ROCKS.

I christen him Xander, he who keeps demons out of the house.

Stoney
22-05-18, 05:51 PM
Day 22 I love the Zeppo and The Replacement, they are both great episodes. I think I'll go with The Replacement today just because I like the idea of accepting the weaker and stronger sides of ourselves as part of the whole picture.

Sosa lola
22-05-18, 06:03 PM
Recognizing reality isn't the same as accepting limits. sometimes you have to know what you can do, and where you are currently at in order to move forward. We cannot move forward if we don't know who we are. I don't think he's ordinary. I think that someone who does all he did with none of the training, natural abilities or magic of his friends, is someone who is immensely resourceful and determined. It takes a great deal of strength, moral agency and maturity to show up when you are so far outclassed in conventional terms.

The thing that people don't realize... No army moves without its engineers. A war is not won by the flying ace. It's won by the flying ace flying in a plane designed by a nameless engineer and architects, built by a bunch of grunts (in some of our wars, those nameless grunts were mostly women), transported by a transport pilot. The ace is trained by a trainer. He's taught in officer school by an officer, by countless NCOs, by scoutmasters, by teachers, by mom... We are NEVER an army of one. We're an army of one (or more often many), EACH supported by THOUSANDS.

So next time someone says 'i'm just a cog in a machine', ask them if the machine runs without them. If the answer is yes, they're in the wrong machine... but most of the time... the EMT doesn't bring the car crash victim to the hospital where the orderly and nurses bring the victim to the OR without a bystander who calls for help, or a dispatcher who sends the ambulance out.

So... Xander... is magnificent. As an ORDINARY man. Because he's not ordinary. He's THERE. How many other people who didn't have any special 'something' where there in Sunnydale in those last days?

Everyone there was a magician/mage, slayer, potential, watcher, demon or ex demon... or even an ex-key.

So, out of those people, how many of them had saved the world with no special skills?

Oh yeah, just one.

And he did it more than one time.

Sometimes, ORDINARY ROCKS.

I christen him Xander, he who keeps demons out of the house.

That's actually the most beautiful thing I've read about Xander since forever. :heart:

debbicles
22-05-18, 06:26 PM
Favourite romance: because I don't think of Buffy and Spike in romantic terms, I'm not going to name them. I admit I used to enjoy Bangel in its day, but I preferred Willow and Oz, then later on Willow and Tara.

Least favourite season, toss up between S1 and S4. The latter was very uneven, whilst in the former the show has yet to get into its stride.
Least favourite romance: Willow and Kennedy
Least favourite episode: Go Fish. Ugh!

DeepBlueJoy
22-05-18, 08:19 PM
Day 21 - Best Willow-centric Episode I love Willow's Season 6 arc so I'll pick Two To Go. Willow is so brutal, not worrying about Buffy or Xander becoming collateral damage or creepily threatening to turn Dawn back into a ball of energy. She's so wonderfully cruel and nasty.

You know, I was thinking of choosing the dark willow arc for its utter darkness. Not because I love her so much, but because I think it reveals her utter wilfulness and ruthlessness. I think she's out of control because she chooses to let the magics in... It's a lot like Angelus... he wants to wade into the evil and just soak it in. (I think that's why he goes 'sort of evil' when he's drugged with the ecstacy -- he isn't truly happy, but he lets himself get lost in the euphoria and gives into his inner demon.)

She doesn't just use her magics, she sucks magics up and drains a PERSON in order to accomplish what she wants to. That crosses over from grieving widow, into malevolent wilfulness writ large, into EVIL. In some ways, she's the purest evil of the series. Other creatures are innately evil, vampires need to eat, but she chooses it, seeks it, wallows in it. I feel sorry for her in the moment of her loss, but until she lets Xander talk her down, I don't have any empathy for her after that... and I've BEEN a grieving widow.

I know exactly how much it rips out your heart.

So... I should feel it for her. I do. Later. When she's lost without Tara (oddly, shown best in that episode with Kennedy). But at no time in her rampage does she hear anyone who loves her.

She's the antithesis of *everything* Tara stood for.

I want to feel for her, but I end up disliking her intensely. You aren't entitled to hurt people because you lose someone. Willow is essentially just another violent Incel. Someone angry and insecure who becomes convinced they're entitled to something better than what they have and who lashes out at everyone when she loses the thing she got that she never truly valued when she had it... she loved Tara like a child loves a favorite teddybear or a pet... the relationship is mostly about what WILLOW wants and needs. When 'teddy-pet' isn't cooperating, Willow drugs her.

Want. Take. Have. A truly bankrupt philosophy.

In the I robot, you Jane episode, we see her wilfulness... It's not the first time, but it's the first time we really see her personality explored in detail. It's a thread in her that I don't think she ever fully lets go. I think the main reason she stays in control afterward is that she frightened herself and 'took her medicine' so she wouldn't be a pariah. It was a strategic choice.

Willow is our sweet, neighborhood sociopath. :-) No, I don't hate Willow. I just think she is seriously dangerous, and not because of the magics.

Note to Willow fans: I apologize in advance. I do not hate her, and I don't bash her in my stories -- in fact i think she has many good and heroic characteristics. I just believe she's a narcissist at heart. She does care about people in her life, but she cares most about acceptance, and about getting her way.

a thing of evil
22-05-18, 09:05 PM
Day 22 The Zeppo is just really great. I mean, Xander saved the world and slept with Faith, what can I even say here?

TimeTravellingBunny
22-05-18, 09:29 PM
Can I change my Willow pick to Villains? I somehow forgot that this should count as Willow-centric.

Priceless
22-05-18, 11:23 PM
Day 22 - Favourite Xander-centric episode I've always loved The Replacement, I think it's so brilliant to see Xander so successful, confident and self assured. This Xander would never be anyone's butt monkey. I think Espenson does something brilliant here, she reveals character for laughs, and that's what she does for Xander. She reveals that grown up, mature man, the one hiding within the callow boy that Xander is. Xander doesn't find this other part of himself fully until Season 7, but he's been there all along.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 23 - Two characters you wanted together, but never were Giles and Anya. Ganya should have happened. She's a thousand years old, she has so much knowledge that could have complimented Giles's knowledge. They both loved The Magic Box. She would have given Giles a younger outlook and a sense of fun, while he would have cherished her and valued her knowledge and history. #Ganya4Eva

MikeB
23-05-18, 03:24 AM
DeepBlueJoy

Willow by definition isn't an "incel". "Incel" means "involuntarily celibate". Willow had Willow/Oz, Willow/Xander (they both refrained from having sex with each other), Willow/Tara, Willow/Kennedy, Willow/Aluwyn, Willow/some women, etc.

Day 23: Two characters in BtVS I wanted together, but never were together

* I consider Buffy/Faith happened.

* I assume budget concerns is the primary reason Giles/Joyce didn't happen. It would have been nice for Buffy, but they didn't seem attracted to each other outside of their "Band Candy" selves.

* I consider it doesn't make much sense that Spike didn't return to Buffy in AtS S5 and I consider it doesn't make much sense that Spike left Buffy in BtVS S9. So, Spike/Fred and Spike/Morgan are things I wouldn't prefer 'for canon'.

But Spike/Fred is the closest for me. There is no BtVS couple that didn't happen that I wanted. In ways, Spike's simply telling Willow that he's attracted to her is all that's needed from Willow to get a huge ego and confidence boost from Spike. And if Spike/Willow happened after "The Initiative" (B 4.07), "Something Blue" (B 4.09) wouldn't happen.

Stoney
23-05-18, 05:54 AM
Day 23 Honestly I can't think of one. I'll come back to it is something occurs to me.

Sosa lola
23-05-18, 07:42 AM
Day 23 - Two characters you wanted together, but never were Xander/Spike. Willow was gay, and Xander could be bisexual. Spander in S4 would have been brilliant.