PDA

View Full Version : Alyson Hannigans New Show

Priceless
03-03-18, 10:20 AM
HOME TV NEWS MARCH 1, 2018 10:30AM PT
ABC Orders Comedy Pilot Starring Alyson Hannigan With Kerry Washington Producing
By Joe Otterson
Joe Otterson

ABC has made a late pilot pick up, ordering the comedy “Man of the House” starring Alyson Hannigan.

The multi-camera hybrid series will follow two recently divorced sisters who decide to move in together to raise their kids under one roof. The oldest kid and only son is left to figure out what manhood means in a world where he’s now completely surrounded by females.

Hannigan will portray Jessie, described as a caring social-worker who was shocked when her husband left her. With nowhere else to turn, and against her better judgment, she moves her teenage football-star son and pre-teen daughter into the home of her narcissistic, ball-busting sister Charli and her even more-wicked daughter.

Frank Pines and Vijal Patel are the writers and executive producers. “Scandal” star Kerry Washington will also executive produce via her Simpson Street banner, with Simpson Street’s Pilar Savone also executive producing. Gail Berman and Joe Earley of The Jackal Group will also executive produce. ABC Studios will produce the series with The Jackal Group.

Hannigan is well-known for her leading role in hit CBS sitcom “How I Met Your Mother.” She also famously appeared in the popular series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” as well as the “American Pie” film franchise. She is currently the host of “Penn & Teller: Fool Us” on The CW.

Washington currently stars on ABC’s “Scandal,” which is preparing to end after seven seasons. She is also an executive producer on the upcoming Facebook series “Five Points.”

Will you be watching?

Sosa lola
03-03-18, 10:22 AM
Sounds like something I'd enjoy. I will watch it.

TimeTravellingBunny
03-03-18, 01:51 PM
Doesn't sound like my thing. I rarely watch sitcoms - unless they are really original, like The Good Place, or really, really good, like Frasier was, and few are.

Priceless
03-03-18, 02:19 PM
Doesn't sound like my thing. I rarely watch sitcoms - unless they are really original, like The Good Place, or really, really good, like Frasier was, and few are.

I love sitcoms. I can highly recommend The Mick and The Detour, which are both hysterical. Baskets is just amazing writing and Louie Anderson gives such a poignant portrayal of the mother that he deserves every award going. I also love American Housewife, but that's a bit of a throw back show; happy family, 3 kids, but it's humour is mainly found in the performances. Life in Pieces is good, it's the poor mans Modern Family but it is funny. I watch Ghosted but mainly for the two actors, Adam Scott and Craig Robinson, but it isn't actually a good show which is a shame

Sosa lola
03-03-18, 03:58 PM
I'm addicted to sitcoms. They're the best thing to watch when it's time to eat/snack.

Sosa lola
03-03-18, 03:59 PM

My brother insists I should watch Frasier. It's the next sitcom on my to watch list after I finish Brooklyn Nine Nine.

TimeTravellingBunny
03-03-18, 06:30 PM
My brother insists I should watch Frasier. It's the next sitcom on my to watch list after I finish Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is another good one. I've started it recently, I'm halfway through season 1.
I'll probably check out Parks and Recreation, I know that was an earlier show by the showrunner of The Good Place.

I tend to like quirky sitcoms, or satirical adult cartoons, absurdist sketch comedies or dramedies. I'm not much of a fan of the classic family sitcom.

GoSpuffy
03-03-18, 06:37 PM
I want to check out the Roseanne reboot. It was awesome and ground breaking in the day.

Priceless
03-03-18, 06:44 PM
I want to check out the Roseanne reboot. It was awesome and ground breaking in the day.

Didn't even know there was a reboot. I enjoyed the original back in the day. Who's in this one?

GoSpuffy
03-03-18, 06:45 PM
Same cast. Everyone's back. Starts in a few weeks. Both actors that played Becky are back but I don't know how they're Sharing role or if there is a new character.

Priceless
03-03-18, 06:56 PM
Same cast. Everyone's back. Starts in a few weeks. Both actors that played Becky are back but I don't know how they're Sharing role or if there is a new character.

OMG seriously? Didn't John Goodmans character die in the end? And Becky's husband? It was so long ago I can't remember. I'll watch it, but I hope it doesn't spoil the memory of a beloved old show

TimeTravellingBunny
03-03-18, 08:54 PM

That's not a reboot then, it's a continuation. Unless they are discarding all previous storylines and starting a new version of the show from scrap? That would be a reboot.

BTW I've just realized this thread is in in the General Discussion. It should be in the "Outside the shows" section.

DanSlayer
03-03-18, 09:06 PM
OMG seriously? Didn't John Goodmans character die in the end? And Becky's husband? It was so long ago I can't remember. I'll watch it, but I hope it doesn't spoil the memory of a beloved old show

I've been keeping an eye on it, new footage is actually supposed to be in a trailer tomorrow at the Oscars. Otherwise what's known:

1 Becky is actually a new character becoming a surrogate mother for the other. They're retconning Dan's death and basically the whole last season.

Becky's husband played by Glenn Quinn (Doyle) did in fact die in real life and now so did the character Mark.

Supposedly at least one episode is political themed but not the whole thing. Roseanne the character will be a Trump supporter like the real one. Jackie supported Clinton. I can't exactly say it's unrealistic though I hope they don't derail the whole thing. Interestingly enough Darlene's son supposedly wears girly clothes and DJ has a multiracial daughter. So it's not just a "conservative" show or what have you.

Johnny Galecki will be back as Darlene's guy David but only for 1 episode as he's still with CBS on Big Bang Theory.

Priceless
03-03-18, 09:17 PM
Wow I am amazed John Goodman is coming back for this. I love him! He's the draw that will keep me watching.

I think it's very realistic to have Roseanne being a Trump supporter. It always was a show about working class people trying to make ends meet, and Trump's campaign was directed at those voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Just imagine if Laurie Metcalf wins an Oscar. Has an Oscar winner ever been in a current sitcom at the time of winning?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I've just realized this thread is in in the General Discussion. It should be in the "Outside the shows" section.

You are right, my mistake. If there are any mods on the board, they might be able to move it to the right section.

DanSlayer
03-03-18, 09:28 PM
Wow I am amazed John Goodman is coming back for this. I love him! He's the draw that will keep me watching.

Apparently either last year or 2016 he did a little parody sketch with Darlene whose now a host of The Talk on CBS which everybody loved, the cast, producers and network all started calling each other and it snowballed into 9 episodes. Will & Grace also did something similar during the election and got 16 episodes plus a pickup for 2019 already confirmed.

Priceless
03-03-18, 09:34 PM
Apparently either last year or 2016 he did a little parody sketch with Darlene whose now a host of The Talk on CBS which everybody loved, the cast, producers and network all started calling each other and it snowballed into 9 episodes. Will & Grace also did something similar during the election and got 16 episodes plus a pickup for 2019 already confirmed.

I've seen a lot of the new Will & Grace episodes and really enjoyed them. I hope Roseanne is as good. I imagine a lot of wheeling dealing went on with agents behind the scenes to get the cast back together. And a lot of money.

DanSlayer
03-03-18, 09:38 PM
Johnny really wanted to come back but it apparently took some heavy negotiation between the networks just to let him come back for 1 ep. He and Sarah are still good friends in real life.