PDA

View Full Version : Cute Buffy Picture Book

Priceless
22-02-18, 06:12 PM
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/22/buffy-picture-book/

EW can exclusively announce that Quirk Books is bringing the slayer’s world-saving antics to illustrated form. The picture book boasts illustrations by Kim Smith and sees a young Buffy and the rest of the Scooby Gang investigate spooky Sunnydale mysteries and battle all the Big Bads the Hellmouth throws their way. But don’t be too afraid, according to the release, “this sweet, silly, and not-so-scary book makes a perfect bedtime story, and is ideal for parents introducing the next generation to Buffy and fans looking to experience it in a whole new way.” The book is released on September 4, 2018.

Anyone got small children who would love this?

kimothyschma
22-02-18, 06:23 PM
I would want to see a few pages first, but I love this idea! I would definitely read it to my kids!

Stoney
22-02-18, 07:44 PM
Ha, I'm completely the opposite. :p

I definitely don't want to read this to my kids because it disrupts the tv show by falsely introducing the characters as a group of kids. I'm resigned to the fact that my kids won't get to see BtVS for years, and I really don't want them to get a watered down idea of the show that might put them off watching the proper thing. Even if this were canon, which obviously it isn't, I wouldn't get it.

kimothyschma
22-02-18, 08:48 PM
As always! :xd

I don't see this book as threatening the show in any way. I've kind of already prepared myself for my kids never wanting to watch it just because I like it, or watching it and not liking it. By the time they are in their teens the world will have changed even more. It will be dated by 35 years instead of only 20, and there's already things in it that haven't held up. What was formative for me might mean nothing to them. I'm gonna take my opportunity now when they are little and still pay attention to me. :p

Stoney
23-02-18, 09:05 AM
Sure it doesn't threaten the show in any meaningful way, it's hardly going to be seized upon as the accepted reboot. :lol: :xd I doubt they will truly go for altering the overall idea of it but are just looking to make a cutesy version of scoobie adventures. I just don't want my kids to learn about the show as a kiddy cartoon, effectively. I think that would negatively affect the chances of them ever being interested in it and I do expect my daughter to watch it eventually and love it or I'm going to disown her. I might struggle to get my little boy to watch it, but he'll be in no doubt that it is an exceptionally disappointing choice which reduces my love for him if that occurs. :p

Personally I just don't feel the show is ageing in a negative way that spoils it. I know the world is changing but the basic challenges of managing family/friends, pressures of school, social hierarchies as you grow up, breaking away from home, etc., they are pretty timeless. Just because the scoobies don't use mobiles and only have archaic computers doesn't stop the show working, it just sets it in a different time. Heck you could even view it as part and parcel of the BtVS universe, the tech restrictions. Everything doesn't have to be up to date for the basic messages to still be very applicable. :noidea:

flow
23-02-18, 09:53 AM
and I do expect my daughter to watch it eventually and love it or I'm going to disown her. I might struggle to get my little boy to watch it, but he'll be in no doubt that it is an exceptionally disappointing choice which reduces my love for him if that occurs.

Awww, I have been through all of that with my 22-year-old, including the threat to not only alter my last will but also cut down his monthly allowance.

His comment on BtVS was: Supernatural is way cooler, because it has two guys and not just one girl as protagonists.

I still have hopes for my six-year-old, though.

flow

vampmogs
23-02-18, 09:59 AM
If I had kids I would definitely get them the book. The more merchandise the better, IMO, and I think the most successful franchises are the ones that can spin a story and adapt it to a range of different demographics. Just think about Batman and how differently the characters/story have been presented over the years depending on the age the story is being targeted at. You have merchandise clearly aimed at kids with Batman PJ's/story books/cartoons/toys and then you have the Nolan Trilogy/graphic novels/animated movies aimed at adults. Heck, they pretty much have two (if not many more) incarnations of the character with one drawn in a manner that appeals to kids and one that appeals to adults. If BtVS is to have longevity as a franchise I think it's important that it branches out and doesn't stay too beholden to the S1-S7 canon.

From a marketing standpoint, if you can get young kids familiar with the characters in younger versions of themselves, then I say go for it. Kids will have no problem adapting as they grow older and consume versions of BtVS best suited to their age group. Kids are constantly exposed to extremely popular franchises that have multiple versions of 'canon' and incarnations of the characters so I don't think this would be anything new to them.

That said, I watched BtVS since it first aired and I was only 7 at the time. All my friends did too at the same age. S1 (and S2 until sometime after Innocence-ish) was actually aired at 7pm here in Australia which has always been a very family friendly time slot. There's very little in S1 that is too adult for most primary school kids! It's all pretty tame and far less dark than child-orientated franchises like Harry Potter. These books seem to be more aimed at the 5 and under crowd.

Stoney
23-02-18, 10:34 AM
I know we've discussed this before and whilst I agree kids will process things on their own level, I don't want my kids to see the show young and risk exposure to some of the themes creating awareness before an appropriate age. And it can. I watched things as a kid far outside age appropriateness and I have to wonder if some of the problems I had through my childhood and especially teens could have been attributed to this. It's certainly at least possible it played a part in some things that were seriously negative experiences. I would far rather my kids didn't get any 'taste' of BtVS until they were old enough to at least understand fully what they are watching and were getting to see the original work. Whilst I can see what you mean about the multiple versions of the character making it more widely accessible, I think that just supports my strength of feeling against it to be honest. I think of Batman as having an interesting background but being pretty static really and lacking in how he's been portrayed because of having seen so many versions and different people play him over the years. The character feels weakened by it for me. Just differing points of view, yet again, ha. :biggrin1:

flow
23-02-18, 01:24 PM
In Germany Buffy was rated to be not suitable for children under 16. I have often heard of people having started to watch that show at six or seven. I wouldn`t want my children, to watch Buffy at such an early age. Not because of the monsters and not because of the sex scenes but because I think, the emotional impact of the show is not something, children under the age of 16 or at least 12 can and should deal with.

I know, that most people have a different approach.

flow

a thing of evil
25-02-18, 11:13 PM
So this book releases in September. Coincidentally (or not) that's also when another cute Buffy book for children releases, "New School Nightmare" by Carolyn Nowak. This one, by Kim Smith, features Buffy, Willow and Xander and there's big Joss Whedon on the cover. "New School Nightmare" features Buffy, Sarafina (the black girl) and Alvaro (the boy with a tail) and there's no Joss Whedon on the cover. How is this not going to confuse people? Seriously, not cool.

Anyway, children? Pff. I'd buy it for myself, I mean, just look how cute this stuff is! :loveeyes:

Priceless
04-04-18, 06:02 PM
Some more images, and it's still cute, but it is for upto 8 year olds :D

http://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/001.png

http://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/002.png

http://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/003.png

a thing of evil
04-04-18, 08:22 PM
This is great! So colorful and like all the little details - Mr Gordo, Buffy's Ice skating poster, Willow's bunny slippers (and the fact that she brought a sleeping bag) Mr Pointy under teenage Buffy's bed - I can see that this was made by an artist that at least knows the source material very well.

Priceless
04-04-18, 08:33 PM
She's got Joyce spot on too, I think, especially the hair.

Priceless
31-08-18, 09:53 PM
Just a few more pages. I still think it looks cute, but Buffy's age seems pretty fluid, she's in heels walking home in the dark, and then she looks like a very small child when talking to Giles (J-iles :D)

https://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/btvspreview001.jpg

https://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/btvspreview002.jpg

https://slayerevival.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/kimsmith03.jpg

Sosa lola
31-08-18, 10:09 PM
I agree that Buffy seems to have aged a bit when out patrolling. I prefer them to be little kids.

SpuffyGlitz
31-08-18, 10:18 PM
Aww, this is cute :heart: I think they've captured the likenesses pretty well. I wonder if they'll convey the whole 'vampire' metaphor well enough

a thing of evil
31-08-18, 10:32 PM
Just a few more pages. I still think it looks cute, but Buffy's age seems pretty fluid, she's in heels walking home in the dark, and then she looks like a very small child when talking to Giles

Adult Buffy is the narrator of the story. She tells the story about what she was afraid when she was little.

Ahm Shere
01-09-18, 12:03 AM
In regards to children being potentially too young to watch Buffy, I first watched Buffy when I was six years old when it first aired. Obviously, my family had no idea what kind of show it was, since it was new and had a 'silly' title, and it was on before the watershed. (6 pm, The Simpsons, 6:30 The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, 7:00 Buffy the Vampire Slayer) so why wouldn't I be allowed to watch it, they reasoned.

I only ever had one nightmare, and that was because of Der Kindestod in 'Killed By Death', and even then, it was because I was extremely scared of hospitals.

I felt like I understood some of the themes fairly well for my age, and other times, things just flew right across my head. However, I had a strong female heroine that I could look up to and want to be like, and as Xander said, I often said to myself "What would Buffy do?"

The picture book is so adorable and I'd like to introduce my daughter and future son/daughter find out in two weeks. :p to Buffy this way and get them excited about it.

My step-son also watched it with me three years ago when he was only five, younger than what I was, however, he was always supposed to be asleep but would watch it with one eye open, the little scamp. He also enjoyed what he saw, (he only ever saw an episode here and there, my partner and I binged it because it was his first time seeing it.) He took away what I took away from it, strong heroes.

I know some people are different, and wouldn't allow children to watch Buffy until they are of a certain age, which I do get. For me though, I don't see anything wrong with it, since in the eyes of a six year old, Buffy is a teenage girl who kicks a lot of butt and saves the world. Who wouldn't want that herione in their childhood to look up to?

vampmogs
01-09-18, 12:13 AM
In regards to children being potentially too young to watch Buffy, I first watched Buffy when I was six years old when it first aired. Obviously, my family had no idea what kind of show it was, since it was new and had a 'silly' title, and it was on before the watershed. (6 pm, The Simpsons, 6:30 The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, 7:00 Buffy the Vampire Slayer) so why wouldn't I be allowed to watch it, they reasoned.

I only ever had one nightmare, and that was because of Der Kindestod in 'Killed By Death', and even then, it was because I was extremely scared of hospitals.

I felt like I understood some of the themes fairly well for my age, and other times, things just flew right across my head. However, I had a strong female heroine that I could look up to and want to be like, and as Xander said, I often said to myself "What would Buffy do?"

The picture book is so adorable and I'd like to introduce my daughter and future son/daughter find out in two weeks. :p to Buffy this way and get them excited about it.

My step-son also watched it with me three years ago when he was only five, younger than what I was, however, he was always supposed to be asleep but would watch it with one eye open, the little scamp. He also enjoyed what he saw, (he only ever saw an episode here and there, my partner and I binged it because it was his first time seeing it.) He took away what I took away from it, strong heroes.

I know some people are different, and wouldn't allow children to watch Buffy until they are of a certain age, which I do get. For me though, I don't see anything wrong with it, since in the eyes of a six year old, Buffy is a teenage girl who kicks a lot of butt and saves the world. Who wouldn't want that herione in their childhood to look up to?

I agree 100%. I was 7 when Buffy first aired and it also used to air at a pretty family-friendly time slot of 7pm in Australia too. I never had any issues from watching it.

I think the older people get the more they tend to forget what it was like to be a kid and project their own views/interpretations of the show onto their children. Kids aren't seeing even half of the stuff adults do when watching the series. Kids are pretty much just seeing monsters, cool fights, and funny loveable characters (and even then they won't understand all the jokes). There's very little in Season 1, in particular, that most kids would have difficulty watching.

I'm really, really glad I grew up watching Buffy.

As for the children's book, it looks adorable. It has actually completely won me over when looking at the attention to detail in Buffy's room (ice skating poster + Mr Gordo etc). Whoever wrote this book and/or drew these pictures were clearly a fan. Is it sad that I am more enamoured by a book aimed at little kids than I am with the comics? The art is adorable.

This is great. If I had kids I'd buy it for them.

Sosa lola
01-09-18, 07:02 AM
When will this book be finished and when will I be able to buy it? I wanna read it to my little girls.

Priceless
01-09-18, 12:07 PM
When will this book be finished and when will I be able to buy it? I wanna read it to my little girls.
It's available on Amazon and it's out on the 4th September :)

Priceless
05-09-18, 08:37 AM
Some more pages . . .

https://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/buffy%20book%205-min.png

https://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/buffy%20book%206-min.png

betta
05-09-18, 05:07 PM
Very cute indeed... but it does nothing for me, since it has nothing to do with the show. Buffy, Giles, Xander and Willow never met like that.