PDA

View Full Version : New here ? Here is your guide to Buffyforums.net !

flow
19-02-18, 08:49 PM
Hey,

this thread is meant, to help you with your first steps around this board. But before we start - it is great that you have found your way to Buffyforums.net and we hope to see you around a lot!

There is already an official welcoming post and another post with rules and guidelines, that you can chek out here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?68-Welcome-to-BuffyForums
http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?102-Buffy-Forums-Rules-and-Posting-Guidelines

And here is, what we think, might help you, if you are new here:

1. Start posting !

There is no hierarchy, seniority or rank on this board. Feel free, to join in every discussion or open your own threads.

If you want to reply in a thread, just click the button “Reply” on the right side below every post or the button “Reply to Thread” on the left side below the last post of the thread. Your own post will show up as the last post, no matter, which option you choose. If you click the button “Reply with quote”, the post directly above will be quoted in your own post.

If you want to post a new thread, choose the suitable subforum first and click the button “Post New Thread” on the upper left side. You have to enter a title for your thread and you can go ahead !

2. Start Posting by saying “Hello”

You can start with posting a thread in the Welcome Forum. Just say Hi and let everyone know, that you are on board ! If you feel like it, you could also tell us, how long you have been watching BtVS and/or AtS and which character, season or episode you like most.

3. Ask !

If you have any question, no matter if it is about how to navigate this forum, which rules to follow, how to add an avatar or how to find a certain thread or member, just go ahead and ask.

You can always post a question on one of the subforums. If it is a technical question, you should ask in the subforum Information, FaQs and Suggestions. If it is something else, you can either post in the subforum Welcome Posts or in the subforum Miscellaneous Forum.

You can also post any question in this thread, by clicking the reply button below the latest post.

Last not least, you can contact admins, mods or members about questions you have, via Private Message or via Visitor Message.

You can find the admins and mods of Buffyforums.net here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showgroups.php

4. Private Message and Visitor Message

You can contact other members via Private Message or via Visitor Message. To post a private message you click on your own user name in the header on the right side and open your own profile. On the left side, you will find the option “send private message”.

Private Messages can only be read by you and the member, you have posted it to.

If you want to send a Visitor Message, you go to the profile of the member, you want to contact by clickin on his user name. On his or hers profile, you will find a headline containing “User Name`s Activity”, “Visitor Message” “About Me” and “Friends”. Click on Visitor Message and start writing.

Visitor Mesages can be read by everyone, who looks at the profile of that member.

5. View threads and posts

There are several ways, to navigate this forum. The main site of the forum lists all the subforums, where you can find the threads, that belong there thematically. But you can also use either the button New Posts (on the top left, just below the button Forum), or the button Today`s Post. You find the latter, if you choose Quick Links in the same menue as New Posts. Quick Links will lead you to a submenue, where you can find Today`s Posts.) You can also subscribe to a thread by choosing Thread Tools, once you have opened a thread (it is on right hand side). If you have subscribed to a thread, you will get a notification, as soon, as anyone else has posted in that thread.

6. Be a friend and join groups

You can ask other members, to be your friend, by clicking on their user name and choosing “Add as friend” from the menue on the left hand side. If someone else wants to add you as a friend, you will get a notification and you will be asked, to accept the offer.

There are also groups, where you can only post, if you are a member. You find all existing groups, if you click Community on the dark blue menue, where you also find New Posts and Quick Links. Choose the button Groups from the submenue and click on the button Join, if you find any group interesting !

7. Avatars, signatures and banners

You can upload a picture (maximum size 100 pixels by 100 pixels or 48,8 kb), if you choose the option Settings in the menue on the top right. The page that opens, has a button Edit Avatar on the left hand side. If you click that button, you can upload an image from your computer or enter an URL. You can also choose a signature (use Edit Signature right under Edit Avatar), which will be displayed on the bottom of your posts. Many users love to have banners - pictures or graphics at the bottom of their posts - as well, but you need to have 400 posts, before you can upload a banner. So, go ahead posting ;-)

flow

P.S.: I was kindly given permission to post a welcoming thread by Llywela

TriBel
20-02-18, 02:32 PM
Wow flow. I'm impressed! Thanks...and the ball never crossed the line. :p

SolomonVin
07-04-18, 12:45 AM
Ao fazer as dietas malucas para perder peso, além de passar fome, tem-se a perda de nutrientes essenciais.

Meu página de teia dieta budwig (dicas adicionais (http://www.g15.com/User:RoyalCoppleson))

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 12:00 PM
Hi! Quick question: I tried to post a new "Hello" thread in this forum last night, but I received a message that it required approval. And I have not seen or heard anything since. Is this normal, and am I just being impatient? What mostly worries me is that I can't find any evidence of last night's post existence, or any indication of its current (unapproved) status. It was a fairly longish post, so I *really* hope it's still out there and will get approved and posted at some point... So basically I'm looking for some reassurance that all will be well and I didn't write that post for nothing.

I am sorry that I now have to make this post without having properly introduced myself. I tried to contact the Welcome Posts forum moderators with my question, but I couldn't find a way to message them.

To have at least SOME kind of introduction, here's a very short summary of what I tried to say in my attempted Hello post: I have been a member here for years, but I never actively posted due to lack of time. Still I wanted to say Hi and let you all know that I'm here. I will not be posting much (see: lack of time), but I'm lurking and enjoying all the new activity on the forum.

(In case this post will also go up in smoke, I'm making sure to save an offline draft this time!)

TriBel
13-04-18, 12:17 PM
:welcome: Double Dutchess - as in I Hate You / As Time Goes By (Hello Stranger) / Bobby, Roger and Eileen videos? :confused: To answer my own question - yes - same avatar. :thud:

Awesome! :xd They are such clever pieces of work. No - don't waste your time talking to us. Go! Make more videos! :D

Sigh...sorry...my enthusiasm got the better of me. It's nice to have your presence acknowledged. Please make some more videos. ;)

Stoney
13-04-18, 12:26 PM
Hey DD, great to see you over here. :biggrin1:

I'm a little confused about the posting issue you've had. I think I remember one of the more recent members saying they had a similar thing but as your account has been set up for years I can't see why it would be doing it to you. If the post doesn't appear when you're next on then if you can drop me a PM about what the title of it was I'll try to contact a mod and find out for you. :)

I hope to see you in the rewatch at some point, whenever/however you're able to join. :p

flow
13-04-18, 12:44 PM
Hello Double Dutchess,

it is nice, to have you posting here (after all those years :D). I don`t know, what happened to your post, but there have been some spam posts on the board lately. Maybe that is the reason, your post has to be approved by a mod ? I am glad, your second post showed up with no problems at all.

The Bobby, Roger and Eileen Video is my absolute all times favorite BtVs and Atvs video. It is just awesome. :heart: Thank you so much !

I hope to see you around, but I also wouldn`t mind some more videos :wub:

flow

Priceless
13-04-18, 12:47 PM
Hi DD. I too am a fan of your videos! It's so good to see you here. I hope you do find some time to post :D

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 12:52 PM
:welcome: Double Dutchess - as in I Hate You / As Time Goes By (Hello Stranger) / Bobby, Roger and Eileen videos? :confused:

Thank you for the welcome, and yes, that's me (as you already realised).

No - don't waste your time talking to us. Go! Make more videos! :D

Ha! Believe me, I want to, I really do. I have so many vid ideas floating around in my head, but for many months I have had zero time to do any vidding or basically any kind of fannish activities. At least talking to you guys will be a little easier to squeeze into my schedule than vidding. But believe me, whenever I have the time to do the latter, I definitely will. It's nice to know you have been enjoying my vid productions!

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 01:06 PM
Hey DD, great to see you over here. :biggrin1:

Hi Stoney! Yes, since BuffyTube is dead I'm going to need a new place to post, so I've decided to de-lurk here. I had been planning to do that anyway, seeing all the new activity lately, but later -- during the summer holidays or so. It's Cil and via her, Aurora who pushed me over the edge to do it now already.

I'm a little confused about the posting issue you've had. I think I remember one of the more recent members saying they had a similar thing but as your account has been set up for years I can't see why it would be doing it to you. If the post doesn't appear when you're next on then if you can drop me a PM about what the title of it was I'll try to contact a mod and find out for you. :)

I didn't expect to need approval either. It seems weird that I can reply to existing threads, but not start a new one on my own. Especially since under Posting Permissions it says "You may post new threads". So I don't know why it happened, but I hope my Hello post (title: "Hello from DD", very original!) will show up once a moderator has had time to have a look at it.

I hope to see you in the rewatch at some point, whenever/however you're able to join. :p

I don't know about joining in, but I have been reading along with the rewatch since it started. Very interesting! Though I must confess I'm a bit behind right now -- such long posts, so little time to read them.

The Bobby, Roger and Eileen Video is my absolute all times favorite BtVs and Atvs video. It is just awesome. :heart: Thank you so much !

Hi flow, thanks for the welcome! It's good to hear you like Bobby, Roger and Eileen so much. It's not one of my more popular videos, but I have a big soft spot for it myself, so this warms my heart! And as I said to Tribel, I would really like to make more vids. But time is the issue, as always.

By the way, my apologies for hijacking your Guide to Buffyforums thread and turning it into a kind of welcome thread for myself. Maybe these posts can be moved once my own Hello thread shows up??

Hi DD. I too am a fan of your videos! It's so good to see you here. I hope you do find some time to post :D

Thank you very much! I am making some time now, work can come later :eviltail:

Didn't SpuffyGlitz have this same issue when she first started? I think she was told she had to make a certain number of posts before she could actually start a new thread.

I wasn't told anything like that, I just got a general message saying that my post needed approval by a moderator.

Priceless
13-04-18, 01:09 PM
Didn't SpuffyGlitz have this same issue when she first started? I think she was told she had to make a certain number of posts before she could actually start a new thread.

Stoney
13-04-18, 02:11 PM

Ah that might be what I was thinking of. Although creating a welcome thread isn't unusual when people join and DD's been a member for a long time too, so it sounds like a glitch to me. As I remember, SpuffyGlitz was able to post a new thread the next day, I'm not sure her original one ever appeared though I'm afraid to say DD. I've dropped a note to Ehlwyen in case it can be found. :)

I don't know about joining in, but I have been reading along with the rewatch since it started. Very interesting! Though I must confess I'm a bit behind right now -- such long posts, so little time to read them.

Well I've tried at odd times to persuade you to join in over the years, no reason to stop now. :p Any level of contribution, as and when you like, would be welcome. I just don't want you to feel you have to be up to speed or posting regularly to join. :)

TriBel
13-04-18, 02:21 PM
I wasn't told anything like that, I just got a general message saying that my post needed approval by a moderator.

Stoney - I received a similar message - about a week or so after I joined. It puzzled me because I didn't think my post was particularly contentious.

I am making some time now, work can come later

I'm *working from home*. This is *research*. ;)

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 02:51 PM
Ah that might be what I was thinking of. Although creating a welcome thread isn't unusual when people join and DD's been a member for a long time too, so it sounds like a glitch to me. As I remember, SpuffyGlitz was able to post a new thread the next day, I'm not sure her original one ever appeared though I'm afraid to say DD. I've dropped a note to Ehlwyen in case it can be found. :)

Thanks! I may have been a member for a long time, but I had never posted before, so this may be standard procedure for anyone who makes a first post. Still it is a bit odd if it works that way, because posting a thread to introduce oneself is (as you say) likely to be the first thing that any new member will do. It's not a nice start if the first post you ever make gets thrown away! But I won't give up hope yet that it will show up eventually (although by that time it probably won't contain much new information anymore).

Well I've tried at odd times to persuade you to join in over the years, no reason to stop now. :p Any level of contribution, as and when you like, would be welcome. I just don't want you to feel you have to be up to speed or posting regularly to join. :)

It's appreciated!

I'm *working from home*. This is *research*. ;)

Same here :D

GoSpuffy
13-04-18, 03:31 PM
Hi and nice to meet you. I'm nervous, I feel like I'm meeting a celebrity! Lol

I think ghostar had a similar problem with their welcome post. It seemed to appear quite awhile after it was posted and it was the post right before yours. So maybe threads in welcome have to be approved to keep out the spammers?

Silver1
13-04-18, 03:38 PM
Hi there DD, another face I recognise from Live Journal. :D

Hope you'll enjoying posting here.

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 04:24 PM
Hi and nice to meet you. I'm nervous, I feel like I'm meeting a celebrity! Lol

Oh, wow :) I've certainly never thought of myself like a big name fan! But I get what you mean. I felt the same way when I first joined LJ and got to talking to people whose fanfic I'd been reading for years, for example.

I think ghostar had a similar problem with their welcome post. It seemed to appear quite awhile after it was posted and it was the post right before yours. So maybe threads in welcome have to be approved to keep out the spammers?

Yeah, I think that's what it is. Just too bad my welcome post will probably be appearing long after it's no longer necessary!

Hi there DD, another face I recognise from Live Journal. :D

From way before that, actually -- you're among the first people I ever talked to when I joined online fandom, back in the IDW days :wave:

And thanks, I'm sure I will! Been lurking here for ages, after all :p

Silver1
13-04-18, 05:22 PM
On the old IDW boards?

Double Dutchess
13-04-18, 08:52 PM
On the old IDW boards?

Yes. I've always been a big fan of the IDW comics (up to a point, anyway...) and that was the first place I ever posted. I was sad when the Angel license was taken away and I really missed posting there. Anyway, I see several people posting here who used to post at IDW too, so that's nice.