PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Spike`s DeSoto ?

flow
11-02-18, 02:19 PM
We last saw Spike`s DeSoto in Crush, when he took Buffy out on the fake-stake-date.

After that it was never seen nor mentioned again. Canon does not tell us, what happened to it (unless the comics do ? I don`t read them so I wouldn`t know).

I once read a fanfic, where Buffy asked Spike what had happened to the DeSoto and he answered "It is still to painful, to talk about it".

So, I am asking you ! What do you think, has happened to the DeSoto ? Be creative ! Tell me your story !

flow

kimothyschma
11-02-18, 02:35 PM
Well, we know Drusilla took the train to town in Crush. I believe the last time we see the DeSoto is in that episode, during the date/stake out. I hypothesize that either Harmony or Drusilla stole it to make their getaway and get some petty revenge on Spike. My money's on Drusilla, but I have a hard time imagining her driving! I can't remember if there are any clues as to Harmony's transportation in Disharmony, but I think she would have bragged about it at some point if she had stolen it. So, Drusilla escaping Sunnydale in Spike's DeSoto is my headcanon. :bolt:

Priceless
11-02-18, 02:54 PM
Well I think Spike sold it in part exchange for that bus he drives in Spiral. That's how much he loves Buffy, he'd sell his beautiful car to help her and Dawn

TriBel
11-02-18, 04:48 PM
Sigh - it's a bit like the notion of "time" isn't it? You know exactly what "time" is until somebody asks you. This question is going to ruin my day.

Well I think Spike sold it in part exchange for that bus he drives in Spiral. That's how much he loves Buffy, he'd sell his beautiful car to help her and Dawn

Actually Pricey, I'd always presumed that was what happened. I've checked the script and it doesn't mention it but the prologue references both the moment Dawn discovered she she was the key and Spike telling Buffy he loved her. It's practical help in contrast to the solutions offered by the Scoobies and positions him in opposition to Giles who doesn't want her to leave at all.

Sorry @flow - copying Pricey's answer is all I've got:(

flow
11-02-18, 05:28 PM
I like the idea, that Dru left Sunnydale with it, because that way, the car would at least stay in the family ;-) Do we ever see Dru use Technology ? I know, that she had a cell phone on AtS, but she did not really know, how to use it.

I am afraid, but I think, Spike stole the Winnebago. He says something like "I should have nicked the Porsche" to Dawn :D

flow

GoSpuffy
11-02-18, 06:10 PM
I think he sold it to pay his kitten poker debts.

Stoney
11-02-18, 06:38 PM
I'm sure I read a fic once that came up with a good explanation of what happened to the desoto, but I can't remember what it was. I like the idea of it getting taken in Crush, but I really don't remember any references to it.

Priceless
11-02-18, 06:44 PM
I hope Dru didn't take it. Can you imagine her driving? That's an accident waiting to happen :)

TriBel
11-02-18, 07:12 PM
I am afraid, but I think, Spike stole the Winnebago. He says something like "I should have nicked the Porsche" to Dawn

Ah well! Back to the drawing board. On reflection I agree - he should have nicked the Porsche That's what happens when you get a family - aspire to two seats and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and end up with a campervan. :( I hope they appreciate his sacrifice.

Fool for Buffy
11-02-18, 09:56 PM
I hope Dru didn't take it. Can you imagine her driving? That's an accident waiting to happen :)
“I can see the stars” would take on a much more literal meaning.

As far as the original question, Drusilla’s visit could have reminded Spike of his old self so much that he wanted to distance himself from evil as much as possible, including the car and all it’s memories. Thus the next time we see him driving it’s with a different vehicle, and he’s helping people.

kimothyschma
12-02-18, 01:21 AM

I have to agree. She would have driven it off a bridge or into a tree immediately.

flow
12-02-18, 09:17 PM

We could all be in serious danger :o

Thanks, for all your inventive ideas. I actually thought, that Spike sold it, to get money for booze, fags and blood, but the idea, that he sold it, to pay his kitten poker debts is nicer. I can actually see the loan shark pacing up and down, while Spike says good by to his beloved car :)

flow

MikeB
15-02-18, 02:06 PM
I'm much more concerned regarding why Spike decided to have a motorcycle in BtVS S6 and BtVS S7. In BtVS S7, it seems like a writer's excuse for Spike's not being there in "Empty Places" (B 7.19) to defend Buffy.

Perhaps the most likely explanation for the whereabouts of the DeSoto is it was left in the used car dealership that Spike took the Winnebago from. He probably took both Buffy and Dawn there and was going to steal a sports car but Buffy insisted on having something the entire Scooby Gang, Spike, and Dawn could fit in.