PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Season

Priceless
10-02-18, 04:52 PM
I am sure this has been asked many times on this board, but I wondered what everyone's favourite seasons was and why do you love it above all others?

Sosa lola
10-02-18, 06:32 PM
Copied from my 30 Days of BtVS

http://78.media.tumblr.com/2ec8c2694ec5fe631410903025a2644b/tumblr_nv8hgzcOLf1qgux4ho1_500.jpg

Season 2.

This is when the show found its legs. I do think that S5 is better written and structured, but S2 is the one I never get tired or bored watching. The Scoobies are still young and fresh and share so many wonderful scenes together like the slumber party scene in Buffy’s room; and it’s the season where SMG looks her best, NB is so adorably buff and cute, JM looking young and hot, simply the whole cast look amazing this season. Giles has a love interest and is pretty much relevant to the story in a way he will never be after the high school years. Cordelia/Xander and Willow/Oz are at their funnest and cutest. There are so many amazing episodes: Passion, BB&B, Innocence, Becoming, Halloween, Lie to Me… etc. Even the episodes that are weak are still fun to watch mostly for the great Scooby interaction (Buffy/Xander team up in Bad Eggs, Xander’s speedo scene in Go Fish,… etc) There’s the introduction of Spike and Drusilla, two of the greatest villains, and Angel losing his soul added so much depth and excitement to the show. Jenny’s “betrayal” and death were so tragic. I don’t think I can do this season justice even by listing every single awesome moment, and there are just so many memorable moments:

Buffy’s “Me” in Becoming, Joyce learning the truth about Buffy and the whole kicking her out of the house scene which was so powerful, Xander standing up to Angelus, “Bitca”, Jenny’s tragic death, “mock you with my monkey pants,” Oz revealing his werewolfness to Willow, Buffy thinking she killed a human, Willow going dark eyed and returning Angel’s soul… etc.

I can watch this season over and over and it’s still fresh in my eyes. The actors themselves seem to have more life and excitement while acting.

Stoney
10-02-18, 06:40 PM
S6 for me because so much character depth/direction that we had been gaining for so many seasons came to fruition and it is that progression in characterisation that I love so much about the series. S7 has more progression and I love it for that and taking them further, but S6 was a real pinnacle point for where a lot of the characters had been heading to across the previous five seasons and there were just so many points of development/layers that built up into it getting to those really key moments/points, it's just excellent.

S5 and S2 are probably my other two 'top' seasons, but I love all of the seasons of BtVS for varying plot/theme/character/episode reasons.

flow
10-02-18, 07:15 PM
I voted for season 6, because I love it the most. Season 5 is a very good season as well and maybe it is the best season, if I would look upon it from a sheer critical point of view and would only be judging the quality. Season 2 would make it very high on the list then as well.

But as this poll is not about, the best season, but about my favorite season, I stick to season 6. I want to add, that I think season 6 has a very high quality as well. i didn`t want to diminish that in any way. But between the "best" seasons of the show, which would imho be season 2, season 5 and season 6, the last one happens to be my favorite.

flow

buffylover
10-02-18, 07:51 PM
My favourite season has to be season 6. The whole theme and concepts are really displayed in a realistic fashion. I personally love the dark atmosphere within every flow of a character development. Buffy's character process is really captivating, but within a dark manner, we see a hero, inspirational figure getting overwhelmed by the obligations of life and mental state (depression) which easily could give the audience some inspirational answer to their own life’s. Which is why I find this season to be inspirational to me. Life is the big bad, I just love that impression because life is really difficult, so as an individual I could easily look up to and connect to every character particularly Buffy's. :hug:

Then it goes 5 then I get stuck. :p

GoSpuffy
10-02-18, 08:29 PM
I also gave my vote to S6. I also love S7 but S6 edges it slightly. My favourites are in this order 6, 7, 5, 4, 2, 3, 1. I have never met so many S6 fans before!

vampmogs
11-02-18, 06:13 AM
I voted for Season 2. It's quintessential BtVS and I don't think they ever quite topped the Angelus arc. It was the series at the height of it's popularity, it contained not only the highest rated but, IMO, the best episode of the series (Innocence), and it contained a string of iconic episodes (Innocence, Passion, Becoming I & II), which I think BtVS is best remembered for. It isn't necessarily the most consistent season but I get a lot joy watching it thrive from a good show to a fantastic show as the season progresses and I think you can tell that there's a lot of enthusiasm and joy behind the camera as the series started firing on all cylinders. I would consider it the best because I think it's when the show really turned into BtVS as we know it and I think it's the show as best remembered by the general public and pop culture in general.

My opinion of the other seasons change all the time so I won't bother trying to rate them. The only real consistents I am firmly set on is that S2 is the best and that S7 is the worst. The order I place the other seasons changes depending on what mood I am in.

GoSpuffy
11-02-18, 08:14 AM
To me it's one of those "what came first, the chicken or the egg" type debates. Buffy S6 couldn't have happened without S2 . S2 is great But The character development over time adds layers of extra interest that make me choose the later seasons where I'm that much more invested in the characters.

vampmogs
11-02-18, 09:04 AM
I think it depends on how you look at it. For instance, Stoney said that she believes S6 is when years of character development comes to fruition whereas I actually think S5 is the conclusion of the show's original character arcs/development and that S6 starts a new story. The story had been building to S5's conclusion for years ("counting down from 730...") and then afterwards the story feels a bit aimless, which actually reflect's Buffy's arc in S6 as she "goes through the motions." Whedon admitted as much at the time stating that S5 was very much the closing of a chapter and that part of Buffy's struggle in S6 (and his own as a storyteller) was understanding what she was supposed to do next. The text acknowledges this with Buffy actually verbalising that she felt "finished. complete."

Others argue that the original character development/arcs actually ended in Buffy VS Dracula when Dawn appeared on screen. The characters as we knew them were effectively over with Dawn's inclusion in the story fundamentally changing them as people (especially Buffy) and the tone of the series changing with them. There's some merit to this interpretation, I think, as Restless does serve as a final look back at the Core Four characters how far they've come, and we're they're heading. It does sometimes feel like Restless was a goodbye to the show/characters as we knew it with one final look back. The series changes pretty drastically from S5 onwards (both aesthetically and tonally).

Me? I personally think that every season had character development. I disagree though that the later seasons had more character development as I find S7 in particular to be the most plot-driven season of S2-S7 and I think it actually had the least amount of character development overall out of every season besides, maybe, S1. I think it's worth remembering that what sets S6 apart from the others isn't that it had more character development but simply that the story became, intentionally, very literal and less metaphorical. I've always been a big defender of S6 but it could never be my favourite season because in many ways it's very un-BtVS by it's very design. The writers dropped the metaphors, scaled back the supernatural elements pretty substantially, and had 'life as the Big Bad.' It worked (for me at least) because it was a contrast to all the previous seasons and it couldn't have existed without all the other seasons. But it would never be my favourite season because what it sets out to do is to basically go against what the show was and the show I had loved for 5 seasons. I loved it as an experiment for that particular season but I wouldn't have wanted the show to stay that way and I don't think I would have ever liked the show as much if it had been that way from the beginning. Still, I'm a big fan.

Willow from Buffy
11-02-18, 10:18 AM
I chose S4 and I have the Guardian on my side :p

There are just so many great episodes, and it is not buried down with angst and too much plot. All the characters shine. If I need a Buffy pick-me-up, I go to season 4. There is light and colour, and it is all a little more fun.

People who say S2 aren't playing fair. Sure, some of the greatest moments and episodes are in S2, but S2 also contains episodes like Some Assembly Required. Yuk!

And Restless is all and everything!

Priceless
11-02-18, 11:42 AM
I love all of Buffy, seasons 1 to 11, but I prefer an older more maturer Buffy. All that 'when you kiss me I want to die' teen angst just makes me cringe nowadays, no matter how true to life it is for a teen girl to behave that way. I also dislike the guilt Buffy feels over Angel's curse. But there are some exceptional episodes in S2 that are virtually perfect. It's also the introduction of Spike, one of my favourite characters.

Season 4 is great, and has some of my favourite episodes. It is lighter and more fun, but it also has Beer Bad, one of my most hated episodes, and introduces poor Riley. I always think Restless is a bit overrated, but that's maybe because I don't understand it well enough :s

TriBel
11-02-18, 11:49 AM
I find S7 in particular to be the most plot-driven season of S2-S7 and I think it actually had the least amount of character development overall out

I voted for S7 for precisely that reason. I should say that the "story" element of plot (what's told) doesn't interest me at all but the discourse element (how it's told) does. From this perspective - it's immense - I'd have problems describing it without taking refuge in Deleuzian diagrams and models such as the mobius loop or the torus.

I think it's worth remembering that what sets S6 apart from the others isn't that it had more character development but simply that the story became, intentionally, very literal and less metaphorical. Probably but what I like about 7 is it's a deconstruction of both these terms and of the notion of "character" - it positions itself (and the viewer) on the edge of the void of non-being. Hence the abyss at the end - Whedon's ripped away the deep structures supporting the whole series. I think he was being disingenuous when he said he was going back to the beginning - he goes back to the beginning of self, subjectivity, history, language - back to the beginning of thought itself.
I think the Master has it right when he says "right back to the beginning. Not the Bang... not the Word... the true beginning. The next few months are going to be quite a ride. And I think we're all going to learn something about ourselves in the process". (Oh Duh! The Master IS Whedon as the intrusive author!).

I can quite understand why people don't like it but, from my perspective, formerly, structurally and in terms of its politico-aesthetic it's by far the most adventurous of the seasons. Entirely subjectively, I'd say its biggest flaw is the lack of Spike head-tilts and raised eyebrows.:)

I chose S4 and I have the Guardian on my side As a fully paid up Guardian reading snowflake, can I say that sometimes it's rubbish and saved only by a bias towards Man. Utd? :D

And Restless is all and everything! I'd suggest S7 is Restless writ large and far less self consciously. :)

flow
11-02-18, 12:35 PM
And Restless is all and everything!

One of these days, you gonna have to explain Restless to me :lol:

flow

vampmogs
11-02-18, 02:12 PM
I adore Season 4. I've actually been on a S4 binge at the moment and its honestly so much fun.

I mean, for a start, it has Pangs, which is just behind Dopplegangland as my favourite comedic episode of the series. It has This Years Girl/Who Are You which is my favourite two-partner of the series. It has Restless and Hush which are both fantastic experimental episodes. It has New Moon Rising which is criminally underrated and reduces me to a puddle of tears every time I rewatch it. It’s a joy to see Buffy relatively carefree and happy rather than emotionally terrorized. It’s hands down my favourite Xander season and when I him his most loveable and sympathetic. And I actually like the idea of The Initiative and Science vs Magic.

It also helps that I like Riley. Yes, he's a doof, and some of his insecurities are both sexist and annoying, but I'll always appreciate him for the fact that he was the first guy to be there for Buffy when she woke up in the morning. That small detail in The I In Team, when Buffy wakes up and turns around expecting him to not be there, only to find that he is, is wonderful. I'm also in the minority who feels that SMG/MB actually had sexual chemistry. The opening scene of Where the Wild Things Are where Buffy and Riley slay the vampire and demon together and then can't keep their hands off each other is hot as hell. I love Buffy's smile when she's aiming the crossbow at the vampire and can't help but admire Riley :drool:

I also just love the college setting. I used to dislike it and even now I don't think I'd have wanted it to continue for another season, but I love seeing the characters in that setting. The first half of S4 in particular is great fun to watch with the characters embracing their newfound freedoms and finding themselves in so many new situations (one-night stands, fraternity parties etc) that we hadn't seen them in before. And I actually love how many crossover episodes there are with AtS this season before the shows start to seperate so much.

It also has the best stunts of the entire show! The original stunt team really hit their peak this season and I always think it's a shame that they ended up fighting with SMG and Joss as the new stunt team in S5 is nowhere near as good.

I also wholeheartedly agree that S4 is absolutely the best season when you just want to pop in a random episode and have some fun. It's wonderful!

Stoney
11-02-18, 02:18 PM
It is the culmination for points of characterisation being faced that fits in with the 'life is the big bad' aspect for me I suppose. S6 examines Willow's and Xander's insecurities that have been built up to points of crisis, but we've seen them develop and are points that have been explored consistently since the first season up to then. Spike's arc takes an important and coherent turn back towards the show's mythology in confirming his limitations unsouled (I personally love that they didn't create him to be a special snowflake). I'd also say for Buffy herself she moves towards accessing an even greater understanding of self and her duality that has been plaguing her since the start in the balance of her life, girl and slayer. I think there is something probably there too in Giles' need to walk away coming from his increased sense of uncertainty of purpose along with the issues he has between duty and Buffy going into danger, the risk of losing her again, but his overall path is less clear cut I think with them working with ASH's wish to leave and the break being more definitive than it might have otherwise been. Generally it just feels to me like the focus intensifies on the characters and who we have been watching them become, facing major personal points of development finally, which works so well alongside the show's overarching theme of growing up.

I don't think any seasons are without merit, I really don't, so arguments can be put for them all. It's great how spread the poll results are. The comics miss out especially I think because they don't have the live performances. But I love where the characters have gotten to and how coherent their paths have stayed.

Priceless
11-02-18, 02:37 PM
I have counted up the episodes from each season that I absolutely love and basically Seasons 3-7 have the same amount of beloved episodes. But when I add up the episodes that I really dislike, Season 4 wins with 8 (mainly the Initiative heavy ones) That's my scientific approach to this issue :lol:

buffylover
11-02-18, 03:55 PM
I think I already posted this before, but this Tumblr it just showcases so amazingly why I love Season 6.

Because this is me every day.

https://image.ibb.co/he03y7/tumblr_oj8mekq_NEk1ud21c3o2_500.gif

https://image.ibb.co/bPBAd7/tumblr_oj8mekq_NEk1ud21c3o4_500.gif

https://image.ibb.co/ktfQBS/tumblr_oj8mekq_NEk1ud21c3o3_500.gif

https://image.ibb.co/jyoHQn/tumblr_oj8mekq_NEk1ud21c3o1_500.gif

:hug:

Andrew S.
11-02-18, 06:59 PM
Season 2. Although I think 5 and 3 are technically better, 2 has the most amount of iconic episodes in the series, the characters were never written better than they were during that season, everyone was well-utilized, and it's the season where I fell in love with the show so it has that sentimental aspect for me as well.

My overall ranking of the seasons in terms of quality, not favoritism, though, would be: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1, 7. Each season has its own strengths and weaknesses, but I think you could make a great case for any of them being the best (except 1 or 7).

TriBel
11-02-18, 08:26 PM
I have counted up the episodes from each season that I absolutely love and basically Seasons 3-7 have the same amount of beloved episodes. But when I add up the episodes that I really dislike, Season 4 wins with 8 (mainly the Initiative heavy ones) That's my scientific approach to this issue :lol:

So your scientific approach involves not liking science in the first instance? I need a bullet train to catch up with that one. Actually, I don't "like" that many single episodes in S7 - I think the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. What intrigues me about it is the way each episode bleeds into another thus effecting a new understanding and demanding a rewatch. I watch and enjoy the other seasons - I'm inclined to study S7,

Priceless
11-02-18, 08:38 PM
So your scientific approach involves not liking science in the first instance? I need a bullet train to catch up with that one. Actually, I don't "like" that many single episodes in S7 - I think the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. What intrigues me about it is the way each episode bleeds into another thus effecting a new understanding and demanding a rewatch. I watch and enjoy the other seasons - I'm inclined to study S7,

I liked Buffy's science teacher who got eaten by Miss French, but I'm not a fan of the Initiative. Though without them and their chip, I don't know what would have become of Spike. I think the show was wanting us to be suspicious of the methods they use and to see them as 'a bad thing'.

Willow from Buffy
12-02-18, 12:54 AM
One of these days, you gonna have to explain Restless to me :lol:

flow
SunnydaleGlitz, Priceless, TriBel and I made a pretty good start. I would really love to do a collaborative scene for scene analysis.

Priceless
17-02-18, 10:23 AM
I am actually quite shocked that Season 6 seems to be winning this poll. When I first joined the fandom S6 appeared to be the most hated, but in recent times S7 seems to have taken that spot. Shame because they're my two favourite seasons :D

Stoney
17-02-18, 10:47 AM
It isn't a reliable sample size so I doubt that it reflects overall fandom opinion, just the pocket of current active members here. :biggrin1:

It would be interesting to see how they all fared if they were ranked and given points by their ranking. I suspect S2 would fare especially well because a lot of fans that prefer the later seasons would also say S2 was one of the strongest of the series, so it would get middling points from a lot who wouldn't place it at the top. Conversely those that prefer the early seasons would rank 6 and 7 at the bottom.

betta
17-02-18, 03:25 PM
My favorite is Season 5, from start to finish - it helps, of course, that Buffy's journey's didn't end there. I love S6, but since I've fall in love with the show watching S5, it's stuck in my heart forever.

My favorites in order: 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 2, 1. The later seasons are the best.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just noticed that the comics have been included too; so my new ranking is: 5, 6, 7, 4, 8-11 comics, 3, 2, 1.

Priceless
17-02-18, 03:28 PM
It isn't a reliable sample size so I doubt that it reflects overall fandom opinion, just the pocket of current active members here. :biggrin1:

It would be interesting to see how they all fared if they were ranked and given points by their ranking. I suspect S2 would fare especially well because a lot of fans that prefer the later seasons would also say S2 was one of the strongest of the series, so it would get middling points from a lot who wouldn't place it at the top. Conversely those that prefer the early seasons would rank 6 and 7 at the bottom.

Maybe we should do a ranking thread, like the episode ranking thread, + and - each season until we have a Forum ranking?

TimeTravellingBunny
17-02-18, 03:34 PM
I voted for season 5 because I consider it to be the overall best season, and it is one of my favourites. But season 6 may be my personal favourite in many ways, and season 2 is also close to my heart. But those two seasons also have some major duds and pacing issues.

After these 3, I'd put season 3 (solid season but somewhat overrated - I love Faith and the Mayor, though), season 4 (weak overall arc, but some amazing standalone episodes, and it's generally enjoyable), season 7 (some great ideas but weak execution for the most part) and season 1 (the show was obviously still finding its legs).

Fool for Buffy
17-02-18, 04:17 PM
Season 5 wins for me. Though it has some of the saddest moments of the series, it is still my favorite, because every character comes into their own and shines. I understand in every season each character will have their moments, but for me season 5 tells a story for everyone, then wraps it all up flawlessly in The Gift. For Buffy, it's about becoming an adult, through having to take care of Dawn and dealing with the death of her mother. Eventually she makes the ultimate sacrifice to protect her family. For Willow, it's about becoming a powerful but responsible witch while preserving the happiest relationship she will ever have. She finishes by using her powers to attack Glory, save Tara, and then help Spike almost save everyone. Tara's story is similar; she has to learn what it's like to be in a happy relationship, but she also has the problem of coming out of her shell. And we see her become more and more confident every episode.

For Xander and Anya, it is a story of being in a grown up relationship. Even though it doesn't end up working out, I love their proposal and growth throughout the season. Spike's entire season is about figuring out how his feelings for Buffy will affect his life. He goes from wanting to kill her to being obsessed with her to really falling in love with her, before finally settling as an ally and friend. He stands by her side to fight, and tries to be the hero. But the fact that he was still protecting Dawn in season 6 proves he really was a hero. Speaking of Dawn, her story involves a balance between maturing and understanding herself. Despite incredibly difficult circumstances, she is able to truly love Buffy, and she ends up becoming a stronger individual, eventually willing to sacrifice herself. Finally, Giles's role was to continue to be there for Buffy when she needs him while also letting her go and become the best slayer she can be. Not only does he help take care of her after Joyce's death, he pushes her to train hard, he takes a life which he knows she cannot do, and his final words, proud of the girl he has devoted 5 years to, are "She's a hero you see. She's not like us." Though everyone can prove themselves to be a hero, he's right. No one is like Buffy.

Stoney
17-02-18, 04:24 PM
Maybe we should do a ranking thread, like the episode ranking thread, + and - each season until we have a Forum ranking?

You could do it like that or ask people to put the seasons in order of preference and then give 7 points to their first choice, 6 to their second, 5 to their third etc and then the points each season gets awarded will keep totting up. Making it quick/easy by keeping the totals updating yourself might make more people inclined to join and give their order. :noidea: I don't think you'd be able to include the comic seasons though because not everyone has even read them.

--

EDIT: S5 is brilliant and I can understand it being the favourite for people (it's my second favourite season) but where it wraps up the stories of the characters is too clean/neat for me as it lacks what S6 goes on to do, to see them deal with their weaknesses and insecurities. Those aspects of their personalities have been present and developing all through the series, so S6 takes the characters further and through examining their areas of weakness just gives a far deeper exploration for me. Spike's limitations, Willow's struggles with power, Xander's fears of being his father, Buffy facing the darker side of herself, etc. I love S5 for the development and journeys that the characters made across that season, but they are given more complexity by following it up and going into the darker stuff of S6. :)

Mariah
17-02-18, 04:30 PM
I don't think anything tops Season 3, it should be studied in college.

One particular episode that sticks out is "The Wish." I also loved "Anne" and all the Faith-centric episodes.

PaulParmar1
19-02-18, 09:05 PM
I love Season 7 the most. I was so obsessed with Buffy Season 7.
It has some of my fave episodes & moments. Spuffy in Season 7 is fantastic and that's my fave ship I just love everything about the final season.