PDA

View Full Version : Who Are Your Favourite Female Characters?

Priceless
24-01-18, 12:46 PM
My favourite character in the verse is Buffy. She's a flawed hero and very relatable, she does make poor decisions sometimes and she can be selfish, but she has a big heart, she's endlessly forgiving and deeply compassionate.

TimeTravellingBunny
24-01-18, 02:38 PM
I voted for Buffy (one of my all time favorites), Faith and Darla (the latter for her AtS portrayal, of course - she sucked in season 1 of BtVS).

ETA: I really like Willow, Drusilla, Anya and Jenny, too, but I wanted to limit myself to my top faves.

GoSpuffy
24-01-18, 03:56 PM
Buffy is number one with me. I really have grown to love Anya, so funny.

Stoney
25-01-18, 12:43 PM
I voted for Buffy, Willow and Dawn. I could probably have included Cordelia, Faith and Darla too but I didn't want to go tick barmy! :)

The depth of characterisation we get for both Buffy and Willow is what I like most about them, although I did come to appreciate Buffy more from discussing the show in fandom. With Dawn it is a little different in that I do think we see her develop but a lot of it is focused/intense rather than having the same drawn out progression. It's about her processing her origination and place and we get to see that in depth and then where she goes from there (although this has been limited). For Cordelia/Faith/Darla too we see their paths and progressive change, and I always look for/enjoy those kinds of character expansions the most.

a thing of evil
25-01-18, 01:32 PM
I voted Buffy and Willow. Because BtVS is so awesome it doesn't have just one best girl™, it has two!

MikeB
13-04-18, 07:43 PM
1) Drusilla Keeble is my favorite overall character in the Buffyverse. (Season 8 and Season 9 lessened by regard for Buffy, Spike, and Willow).

2) I still like Buffy Anne Summers, but it seems a lot of problems in Season 8 could have been resolved if Buffy simply contacted Spike. He did tell her he didn't believe she truly loved him. He did see her kiss Angel.

3) BtVS S9: "Willow: Wonderland" redeemed Willow Rosenberg for me. My personal canon is Willow kept the Seedling inside her. As-is, Willow almost certainty could have put Dawn back together.

4) Why isn't Illyria listed?

5) Winifred Burkle is an interesting character and Spike/Fred would have been much better and made much more sense than Wes/Fred. And even if Joss still wanted to make Illyria, Spike/Illyria would have been much better than Wesley-Illyria.

6) Morgan is the most interesting and compelling character introduced post-AtS S5.

7) Beck (if canon)

8) Maria Harley aka Spider (if canon). She gets a lot of hate, but she's a key reason Spike survived Hell-LA. Plus, she made Twinkle and could have easily funded Buffy and Co.

9) Harmony Kendall. Harmony survived post-high school much better than Cordelia did. Harmony became probably the most important vampire in the world and one of the most important people in the world. Cordelia got used by Jasmine.

Priceless
13-04-18, 07:58 PM
4) Why isn't Illyria listed?

There was only a limited number of places, so Illyria would have to come under 'other'

vampmogs
14-04-18, 06:21 AM
Illyria also technically isn't a female. Illyria may be in Fred's body but was actually referred to as a "king" and was a male when in original form. The characters and audience refer to Illyria as a "she" because Illyria infected a woman. Although I don't get the impression that Illyria is all that concerned about gender in general.

Honestly, besides Kennedy, I like every female character on this list. Obviously I like some more than others but when I was reading down the list it struck me again how great the female characters are in the Buffyverse. I could have easily selected them all but to avoid doing that I selected Buffy (my favourite fictional character, ever), Willow, Faith and Cordelia as they're my favourites.

Sosa lola
14-04-18, 06:43 AM
I voted for Buffy, Willow and Dawn. I just adore these three women to bits!

What I admire about Buffy is that she isn’t your usual tomboy strong character, she’s not even a bad girl with leather pants and boots, she’s very feminine. I also love how forgiving she is - following Giles’ advice about people needing to be forgiven if not deserving it. I’d love to be like that. Forgiveness is such a beautiful trait.

Willow is one of the most complicated characters out there. Her flaws are relatable and stem from her deep insecurities.

Dawn is my favorite thing about that dreadful S7. It's such a shame that the season started very promising when it came to Dawn: Buffy training her and Dawn getting new friends. She's strong and elegant and smart. I love the addition about her being a mini-watcher and translating languages.

Priceless
14-04-18, 01:47 PM
The female characters in Buffy have also lasted the test of time. None of these characters or their traits would be out of place in today's world, their stories are all so relevant and relatable. Many of the male characters have not aged well, their characters and actions are all pretty highly suspect in today's world, and a lot of what they do just wouldn't or couldn't be done or shown in the same way on a teen show today.

DeepBlueJoy
23-04-18, 03:03 AM
Well, I could have voted for several more people, but I ended up with Buffy, Dru, Tara and Cordelia. I probably should have voted for Anya and Fred as well, b/c I really love them, but then I could have added more...

I love Buffy. Respect Buffy. Feel sorry for Buffy... and sometimes wish I were Buffy... and I adore writing her. I think she's smarter and more complex than she gets credit for.

Cordelia is underrated and they ruined her. I like writing her so I can give her a better ending than she had in canon.

Dru is the only one of the four primary vampires that didn't get her redemption, so I took it into my head to give it to her... I've also written her in other stories where she doesn't have a soul. I love exploring her and she's a lot of fun, sane or insane.

Tara... is just one of the best human beings in the Buffyverse... maybe the best. She shares that with Fred, IMO. I have not written her enough, but I really like her, and more and more, I have come to believe that Willow did not deserve someone that decent.

I think there are some amazing female characters in the buffyverse. I don't like all of them, but they are fascinating. There are not enough well developed female characters in television... or any media, really. Whatever its flaws, the buffyverse has a ton of them. I'm very grateful. They're not just there as 'love interests' or 'eye candy' or 'victims' to die in scene one so the hero can have 'major man pain'... While there's a several unnecessary deaths, none of the characters existed as an adjunct to the hero. I love this about the buffyverse.

Other favs:
Faith, a tragic hero, with a great redemptive arc.
Fred, a smart, funny, creative and loving friend and partner.
Anya, who was underused -- she was so much more than she ended up being, and I really relate to her. Her speech about death and loss in 'the body' is probably the best, most affecting, most genuine grief reaction I've seen or read in any fiction.

I also love and miss Joyce.

Could have been more:
Kendra Young - she was so underused and that accent... makes me cringe.

I used to like her, but...
Willow really squicks me. She's manipulative, self centered, insecure and arrogant. What she did to Tara and the others... it was a premeditated, selfish and utterly a violation of trust. IMO, her having sex with Tara under false pretenses constitutes rape. Her 'sweetness' is an illusion from the very beginning... we see her hacking the local authorities... who knows what else she does. She is socially inept, but she uses her skills to do whatever she wants. Once she has magic, she uses that. Maybe she's reformed, maybe not, but when she needed power, she sucked it out of others without asking. I think she has sociopathic or narcissistic tendencies.

Still, I find her fascinating to write. I do love her, but if she were real, I would not trust her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Blue

PS: did someone say Dru's last name was Keeble? Is this canon? I'm so glad I didn't read that before I created my own name for her. I like mine a lot better.

Fool for Buffy
23-04-18, 03:28 PM
I voted for Buffy, no question, she is the heart of the show and tied for my favorite character. I love all of her strengths and her weaknesses. Where she goes I would follow.
I also voted for Willow, in my opinion the most complex character. (or right next to Spike in that category- depends on the day) She always keeps me guessing and never makes me stop rooting for her. I always want whatís best for her, but I can never figure out what it is.
I voted for Fred, but that really limits to the show. I think she should have stayed dead because of the emotional wreck she left me and the characters in- the comics have kinda dishonored the show by having her back in my opinion. (And Iím not a fan of this Frangellyria whatever) On the show, I loved how compassionate Fred was, while still being a hero in her own right and having a remarkable ability to love.

flow
23-04-18, 06:58 PM
I just noticed, that I voted, but did not post here.

I voted for:

Buffy, our flawed heroine, who never gives up

Faith, gorgeous, beautiful, dark Slayer

Dawn, the brave normal girl, who used to be a green ball of energy.

flow

Double Dutchess
02-05-18, 08:53 PM
PS: did someone say Dru's last name was Keeble? Is this canon? I'm so glad I didn't read that before I created my own name for her. I like mine a lot better.

It's from a post-AtF Angel comic written by Juliet Landau and Brian Lynch. I don't think most people would count it as canon.

TriBel
02-05-18, 10:09 PM
I cheated - :evil: - I voted "other" because I'm counting the comics. Roux is my favourite female character at the moment. I didn't (and still don't) identify with any of the characters in the TV series (although I like them all). I adore Roux - not because I identify with her but because I can't identify with her. How can I, a white women, identify with a vampire who's also lived through slavery? However, while she's a singularity she's also - paradoxically - every women. She's Spike without the privileges. I think she's great! I want a Spike/Roux banner! :xd

betta
02-05-18, 10:33 PM
Buffy, the hero; Glory, the Big Bad; and Dawn, the normal girl (although being The Key and all...). And Willow!

Priceless
02-05-18, 10:38 PM
TriBel I'm stealing your idea ;) I can't vote again, but if I could, I'd vote for Roux too, she is fantastic and I am really looking forward to where her story goes

betta
02-05-18, 10:46 PM
I vote for Roux, too! I think you shoul do a poll with comic characters only. The Fairweather sisters, Alasdair Coames, Nadira, Satsu, Roux, Baldwin, Seed, Archaeus, Dowling, Pearl, Nash, Betta George, Eldre Koh, Brandt...

SpuffyGlitz
03-05-18, 12:31 AM
I don't know how many I'm allowed but my first picks are Buffy and Willow.

Then come, Tara, Harmony, Drusilla, Jenny, Cordy, Glory. I like them all very much in different ways, for varied reasons.

Double Dutchess
03-05-18, 01:19 AM
I vote for Roux, too! I think you shoul do a poll with comic characters only. The Fairweather sisters, Alasdair Coames, Nadira, Satsu, Roux, Baldwin, Seed, Archaeus, Dowling, Pearl, Nash, Betta George, Eldre Koh, Brandt...

Beck and Jeremy! Tok.

betta
03-05-18, 01:35 AM
Beck and Jeremy! Tok.

How could I forget Beck?! And Jeremy, and Tok Shinobu (I loved her, and Beck's jealousy of her was so cute).

And Maria Harley/Spider, Fray, Loo, Urkonn, Erin, Harth, the mutant one whose name I don't remember.

Priceless
03-05-18, 12:03 PM
How could I forget Beck?! And Jeremy, and Tok Shinobu (I loved her, and Beck's jealousy of her was so cute).

And Maria Harley/Spider, Fray, Loo, Urkonn, Erin, Harth, the mutant one whose name I don't remember.

Betta it's a great idea and you should set up a voting thread! Maybe 2 threads, one for favourite male comic characters and one for female?

betta
03-05-18, 10:38 PM
Betta it's a great idea and you should set up a voting thread! Maybe 2 threads, one for favourite male comic characters and one for female?

I tried, but the only thing I see is: "Post a Poll - Create a poll with this number of options (Maximum 20):", but there is no button to click.

Priceless
04-05-18, 09:23 AM
I tried, but the only thing I see is: "Post a Poll - Create a poll with this number of options (Maximum 20):", but there is no button to click.

Yes, it's oddly set up.

If you Post New Thread as you would normally to start a thread - put your heading, ask the question, write your answer etc.

Then scroll down to near the bottom and there's a list of things you can add. One of those is Post a Poll and it asks for a number of choices you want in your poll, type in a number, then post the thread as normal.