PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

GoSpuffy
23-01-18, 08:16 PM
Angel S5 is coming to an end. You're Joss Whedon and the network has given you carte blanche to do the show of your choosing next year. What would you want him to do?

I understand there were plans to do a Faith/Spike show at one point. What I would have loved to see was a "Scourge of Europe" show with the fanged four tearing through Europe back in the day. The costumes, the witty bantering, the killing, the history.....it would have been awesome!

Priceless
23-01-18, 08:41 PM
My dream would have been for BtVS to continue forever, but as that could never happen, I'd have liked a Ripper show. It'd have been 12 episodes long, a little darker and more adult than either AtS or BtVS, but still dealing with the supernatural. The first season would have Giles moving back to England, maybe accompanied by Faith, or she would turn up later. I really like their relationship in the comics and I think it works well.

Other characters would guest star in one or two episodes. Maybe Andrew would become a regular. My absolute dream would be the resurrection of Anya and for her and Giles to become a couple. I can imagine them travelling around Europe, battling demons and investigating mysteries.

TimeTravellingBunny
23-01-18, 09:16 PM
My dream would have been for BtVS to continue forever, but as that could never happen, I'd have liked a Ripper show. It'd have been 12 episodes long, a little darker and more adult than either AtS or BtVS, but still dealing with the supernatural. The first season would have Giles moving back to England, maybe accompanied by Faith, or she would turn up later. I really like their relationship in the comics and I think it works well.

Other characters would guest star in one or two episodes. Maybe Andrew would become a regular. My absolute dream would be the resurrection of Anya and for her and Giles to become a couple. I can imagine them travelling around Europe, battling demons and investigating mysteries.
Why would a resurrected Anya go with Giles, instead of reuniting with Xander?

Then again, "why the heck would Spike hang out with Angel in LA instead of reuniting with Buffy?" would be an even better question. Answer: because writers will come up with any sort of crap to justify a characte's inclusion in a show.

Stoney
23-01-18, 09:25 PM
I actually would enjoy seeing the stories of some of the activated potentials. We saw in Damage that it won't have been easy or positive for all those that found themselves suddenly slayers and I would have liked/would like the questionable side of the empowerment spell to have been thoroughly considered. Some of course would have been positively affected but perhaps not all would choose to take up their 'duty' or they would have formed security teams or some such, like Kennedy does in the comics.

Personally I think an exploration of the Scourge would be difficult to pull off. They were presented as being the worst and the degree of violence/mayhem that would have to be shown to keep that established and not undermined I think could end up quite an unpleasant addition to Spike's/Angel's overall stories as that would be who/what they were day in and day out, not a brief flashback. I think the risk would be that they would dilute the evil to make it palatable without damaging the characters in the audiences eyes too much, or they'd try to make it too 'funny' to try and counter balance and it would all go off-kilter. Could just be me. ;)

I think Faith works really well alongside others without a romance vibe in it, so I could see her with Giles. What is it about Anya/Giles that does it for you Priceless?

GoSpuffy
23-01-18, 09:31 PM
Dexter was a serial killer and that got pulled off okay. If it was about the fanged four maybe we could learn more about vampires and how they work, like how they have sex without blood flow and what happens to a vamp who eats spicy chicken wings but has no digestive abilities. You know, the important stuff ;)

Priceless
23-01-18, 09:41 PM
Why would a resurrected Anya go with Giles, instead of reuniting with Xander?

Hey it's my dream, I can have Anya fall for Giles while recovering from her resurrection. Plus she and Xander had broken up in S6, and in my fantasy, Xander and Dawn would have become a couple before Anya's resurrection. It could happen!:lol:

Then again, "why the heck would Spike hang out with Angel in LA instead of reuniting with Buffy?" would be an even better question. Answer: because writers will come up with any sort of crap to justify a character's inclusion in a show.

Yes it's weak reasoning, but I choose to suspend my disbelief because these characters/writers have been pretty good to me and deserve my loyalty, so I just go with it and let fanfic/the comics, give me the Spuffy I want post Chosen

- - - Updated - - -

What is it about Anya/Giles that does it for you Priceless?

They are so different, but have so much in common. They have a depth of knowledge about the supernatural that not many others have, and Anya's knowledge isn't used as much as it could have been during the show. Xander often shut her down when she talked about her past, but I feel Giles would be able to get uselful details from her as he has more patience, and perhaps would be kinder if he were in love with her. They both love the Magic Box, retail and making money. They must have spent hours together in the shop when working together, I think that would build a bond. Anya gives Giles sex appeal and he gives Anya gravitas because he'd take her seriously. Plus they have great chemistry, which really appeals to me :)

Stoney
23-01-18, 09:51 PM
Dexter was a serial killer and that got pulled off okay. If it was about the fanged four maybe we could learn more about vampires and how they work, like how they have sex without blood flow and what happens to a vamp who eats spicy chicken wings but has no digestive abilities. You know, the important stuff ;)

Ha. :)

I didn't watch Dexter. But as a further revealed background to characters that have left that evil past and are supposed to be progressing beyond what they were (and that is celebrated in their stories), it would seem a strange way to expand on what we know of the heroes they have become to us to make entertainment of the killers they were (if you see what I mean). If it didn't give a clear, brutal focus on how they killed etc to gain that reputations, and loved doing so too, but it's made too 'fun' for the viewer, then it makes them not seem so bad (even at their worst). I don't think that would do the overall arcs much good personally (or the alternate no holds barred show either) . :noidea:

You could explore the kind of things you are thinking of with lighter characters maybe. As much as I hate saying this, because she bugs me no end, Harmony could be used like that because they give her a pass any way and don't tend to show her doing awful things.

- - - Updated - - -

They are so different, but have so much in common. They have a depth of knowledge about the supernatural that not many others have, and Anya's knowledge isn't used as much as it could have been during the show. Xander often shut her down when she talked about her past, but I feel Giles would be able to get uselful details from her as he has more patience, and perhaps would be kinder if he were in love with her. They both love the Magic Box, retail and making money. They must have spent hours together in the shop when working together, I think that would build a bond. Anya gives Giles sex appeal and he gives Anya gravitas because he'd take her seriously. Plus they have great chemistry, which really appeals to me :)

I'm going to be watching them uber carefully now when we rewatch Tabula Rasa in a few weeks on the rewatch. :D

GoSpuffy
23-01-18, 09:59 PM
I think Ganya was great in Tabula Rasa :) but bad, bad ship name lol

Maybe my fanged four show could be placed in Rome with the immortal, the slayer of the day and our favorite vampires. That way we could have some focus on the good guys and the bad guys.

Priceless
23-01-18, 10:09 PM
I know the actors weren't up for it, but I would have loved a Faith and Angel show. They are so good together in the comics, and I'd have loved to see A&F S9 on screen. But I guess that would have been too similar to AtS

GoSpuffy
23-01-18, 10:20 PM
I know the actors weren't up for it, but I would have loved a Faith and Angel show. They are so good together in the comics, and I'd have loved to see A&F S9 on screen. But I guess that would have been too similar to AtS

that's okay, the carte blanche makes it so any fantasy show is possible :)

TimeTravellingBunny
24-01-18, 12:32 AM
I only saw the first season of Dexter, but there are two big differences there: 1) as far as I know, Dexter was a serial killer, but his victims were other serial killers, and 2) there were other main characters on the show who weren't serial killers or depraved murderers.

A Fanged Four show would never work. Yes, there have been successful shows with villain protagonists, like The Sopranos, The Shield or Breaking Bad. But in each of such shows, while the main character was a criminal, murderer and rather awful person (mob boss/corrupt cop/drug dealer), none of them were Complete Monsters who, say, murdered or sexually abused children or got off on torture and rape. There had to be something morally ambiguous or sympathetic about them so you wouldn't be completely repulsed - and in fact, both The Sopranos and The Shield had other characters who were indeed Complete Monsters and who were pitted against the protagonist, which is a skillful way to get the audience to kind of root for a really bad guy, when he has up against him someone who's utterly evil and despicable.
And the second thing - like I said, in these type of shows, there are always other characters who are more sympathetic and that you can relate to, even if you hate and root against the protagonist: for instance, The Sopranos had Dr Melfi as the moral center of the show, and while Vic and his pals were corrupt, there were other cops among the main characters on The Shield who weren't involved in any of the crimes they were committing and who were more relatable and likable.

The former is not the case with the Fanged Four: they were the worst of the worst, basically a vampiric version of sadistic serial killers who did things like kill babies (literally) or slaughter an entire family, after repeatedly raping the wife/mother, or intentionally tormenting and driving a young woman insane by killing all her loved ones. That's not a show that anyone would greenlit, because it just wouldn't work. It's like making a TV show with Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy and the Boston Strangler as the only main characters. That could work as a movie, at best as a short miniseries, but no one would ever endure more than a few hours of that. Unless you focus on the Slayers and human vampire hunters who are trying to fight them - and then the Fanged Four would be closer to the role of a classic antagonist.

Or this could just be in form of flashbacks while you are watching a story about reformed vampires trying to atone for their former crimes, Xena-style...
Oh wait, that already exists, it's called Angel.

I think Ganya was great in Tabula Rasa :) but bad, bad ship name lol
Why bad? It's a Russian nickname.

Maybe my fanged four show could be placed in Rome with the immortal, the slayer of the day and our favorite vampires. That way we could have some focus on the good guys and the bad guys.
:o :o :o No. Just no.

The Immortal was the most ridiculous, unbelievable, absurd Gary Stu character, and we would all do better to pretend he never existed in canon.

Silver1
24-01-18, 11:49 AM
Ideas I would have liked, but not sure If they had 'legs' would be..

A)Ripper of course. That genuinely could have worked imo. Damn the BBC for being so lazy over it.

B) Picking years after the events of NFA on AtS Illyria (lets face it out of anyone this character would have stood the most chance of surviving) is wondering the globe trying to stay one step ahead of Wolfram & Hart, and she stumbles upon an almost unrecognisable and very human Spike in a grotty part of a city and who appears to be suffering from amnesia. We see Illyria slowly help bring back his memory of events and then they decide where to from there.

Imo it would have worked in that it would have allowed JM to age naturally. Other characters of choice would be added so we end up with another gang of heroes willing to fight the good fight and always trying to stay one step ahead of Wolfram and Hart.

MikeB
13-04-18, 06:41 PM
The premise of the thread makes around zero sense.

Joss Whedon wanted to continue AtS and the WB decided to cancel the series. Why would they ask Joss to do another series and why would Joss accept?

If anything, I'd have wanted Joss to convince Sarah Michelle Gellar to do a BtVS S8. James Marsters was now available again. Alyson Hannigan could Special Guest Star. UPN would likely still be interested. Heck, bring Illyria over.