PDA

View Full Version : What was your favourite opener and why?

Priceless
15-01-18, 07:56 PM
My favourite is The Freshman. I enjoy the change of setting with Buffy feeling out of place and lacking confidence while Willow is the popular confident one. Sunday and her gang are fun adversaries and feel like a real threat to Buffy. Xander is sweet, Kathy is a terribly great and Giles has a girlfriend! It's perhaps the lightest opening episode in the show, with a positive uplifting ending which I enjoy.

TriBel
15-01-18, 08:15 PM
I voted Lessons but that could be because I'm writing about it now and it's the most complex. Alternatively, I'm making it more complicated than it is because I'm writing about it. It's one of the mysteries of the universe....:sadwalk:

myth-taken
15-01-18, 09:56 PM
I voted Anne because I feel like I enjoy it the most, and I like the change of setting, and I like that we see Chantarelle/Lily/Anne again, and I like her role in the episode. I don't remember Lessons at all... The Freshman and When She Was Bad are tied for second, though. I feel like the rest of s4 could have been like The Freshman.

Stoney
15-01-18, 10:22 PM
And just to keep the votes spreading... I voted for Bargaining. :D I know it's a double so it feels a bit cheat-y to choose it but it had to be a double because so damn much happens! It's just fascinating and ties to so much throughout the season for all the characters. It's just a pretty perfect opener for me.

GoSpuffy
15-01-18, 10:30 PM
I went with Bargaining too. I remember waiting for it very impatiently because I wanted to find out what happened to Buffy. Lessons would be my second choice.

KingofCretins
15-01-18, 10:50 PM
I'll spread some more -- Buffy vs. Dracula. This episode is actually a series finale, is why. It ends "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" as it had been before Dawn; it ends the characterization of all the main characters prior to Dawn.

I think if I'd picked something else it would have been Anne. I loved Buffy's symphony of violence through the demon slavers.

TimeTravellingBunny
15-01-18, 11:03 PM
I'm torn between Anne and Bargaining. Both are really great episodes. I'll probably end up voting for Bargaining, because it actually works as an opening better than any of the others (both Anne and When She Was Bad, my third favorite, are more about dealing with the consequences of the previous seasons and serving as a closure for them), the only one that really drives the plot forward in the major way and sets up the entire season. But I just love Anne so much as an episode - and while it does not really kickstart season 3 (only episode 3.3. Faith, Hope and Trick really does that - and feels like the true opener of season 3) - it deals with the theme that is the running theme of season 3 - the community/social aspect of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and foreshadows what happens in the finale, where it's the joined efforts of the entire school that defeat the Mayor.

a thing of evil
15-01-18, 11:13 PM
I kinda like "Welcome to the Hellmouth". It's probably not the best opener but it's full of those classic Buffy scenes that I must have watched about a 1000 times at this point.

KingofCretins
15-01-18, 11:16 PM
I'll spread some more -- Buffy vs. Dracula. This episode is actually a series finale, is why. It ends "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" as it had been before Dawn; it ends the characterization of all the main characters prior to Dawn.

I think if I'd picked something else it would have been Anne. I loved Buffy's symphony of violence through the demon slavers.

Sosa lola
16-01-18, 01:53 PM
I voted for When She Was Bad. I loved Bitca Buffy and the sexy dance with Xander and well as her smashing the Master's bones. Also, her dream about Giles suffocating her was so intense, especially with Xander and Willow eating and not caring.

Priceless
16-01-18, 04:20 PM
I find it hard to believe two people voted for Buffy v's Dracula :) I thought this was the weakest opening episode. There were some good things, especially Xander being a butt monkey and first appearance of Dawn, which was brilliant. But that was outweighed by Riley being patronising and neurotic and Dracula being neither scary nor sexy. If Dracula had been played differently, and had more charisma, the episode would have been improved greatly.