PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Michelle Gellar and her new cookie Kingdom

American Aurora
11-11-17, 02:01 AM
I didn't know if anyone had posted this about SMG's new baking project, Foodstirs:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/how-sarah-michelle-gellar-intends-to-slay-the-47-billion-baking-mix-industry.html

I looked at the website and wasn't really taken with most of the pictures of her recipes - despite everything being sourced and organic, I'm not really a fan of purple and orange cakes and weirdly shaped cupcakes that look like popcorn baskets (fun for kids, though, and I think part of the whole project is to bond with kids while baking.)

But I can actually say from personal experience that the product is very good. I was at Wegmans the other day and saw three boxes of Foodstirs on sale for $2.99 each. I bought the organic chocolate chippy cookie mix and the chocolate brownie mix for a lark, expecting them to be tolerable or even downright bad.

Well, imagine my surprise when I made the cookies tonight for a group and they turned out delicious! The cynic in me was expecting a mediocre product - but they were among the best store-bought mixes I've ever had. Everyone scooped them up and gobbled them down - not too sweet, either.

Caveat - I am NOT a baker, so I'm sure others would turn up their nose at any store-bought mix. But for those who only have ten minutes to bake up something quick and fairly healthy considering it's a sugary desert, her cookie mix hits the spot. I haven't tried the brownies yet - but soon. :D

vampmogs
11-11-17, 02:10 AM
From what I have gathered, Foodstirs appears to be doing really well and seems to be rapidly growing at a faster rate than what SMG had even anticipated. I saw a video with her recently where she speaks of her ambition to be a global brand but that their growth is currently exceeding the targets they had set themselves for the year.

I follow SMG on instagram and it has been really interesting watch her business grow. She's travelled all over the US to promote the brand and has also traveled to places like Peru to source the best organic chocolate etc. I have never really thought much about celebrity-brands before but I've been really impressed with her work ethic and transition into a business mogul. I'm glad it is turning out to be such a success for her.

I'd love to try it but it's not yet available in international markets.

a thing of evil
11-11-17, 11:14 AM
Oh shit Buffy's cookies! And @American Aurora ate 'em!

MikeB
06-02-18, 11:49 PM
Thus far, the company has raised $5 million from investors, including Beechwood Capital and Cambridge Companies. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/how-sarah-michelle-gellar-intends-to-slay-the-47-billion-baking-mix-industry.html I wonder how much SMG's stake in the company is. I notice on celebritynetworth.com that her net worth is now estimated at $20MM up from $15MM.

I'd certainly buy from Foodstirs instead of something like Betty Crocker.