PDA

View Full Version : When did you prefer Buffy/Angel over Buffy/Spike?

MikeB
22-08-17, 08:51 PM
Buffy/Angel for me was simply better and more interesting than Buffy/Xander would have been--I wouldn't have watched the series after the series premiere if Xander was the love interest in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" (B 1.01). In a similar vein, I only watched The Vampire Diaries because in the series premiere it's revealed that Elena Gilbert looks exactly like a vampire from 1860 C.E.

When Drusilla is introduced in "School Hard" (B 2.03) and we see Spike's reactions to her and his loving and caring her, I immediately wanted Buffy/Spike because I considered it would be more interesting than Buffy/Angel.

Edit: I had to condense the episode list somewhat to include the beginning options. It's perfect till post-Intervention" (B 5.18), as I would have added: "The Gift" (B 5.22), "Bargaining" (B 6.01-6.02), "Grave" (B 6.22), "Conversations With Dead People" (B 7.07), "Showtime" (B 7.11), "Lies My Parents Told Me" (B 7.17), "Chosen" (B 7.22), "Just Rewards" (A 5.02), "Destiny" (A 5.08), Season 8, Season 9, Season 10, Season 11.

Priceless
21-12-17, 08:50 PM
Buffy/Spike proved to be far more interesting than Buffy/Angel could ever be. I always thought that once we knew Angel was a vampire with a soul, there wasn't much else to do with him apart from him losing the soul. Once we'd seen Angelus, that was Angel's story pretty much over I thought.

TimeTravellingBunny
22-12-17, 02:54 AM
I don't know how to answer this. I really shipped Buffy/Angel during the first 3 seasons, but I can't say I "preferred" it to Buffy/Spike, as I had no idea at the time that Buffy/Spike could be a thing.

To copy paste what I already have written in the other poll thread:

I can't say that I "preferred" Spuffy as it didn't occur to me at any point while watching seasons 2 and 3 that Buffy/Spike is a ship or that it could happen. I never even thought abotu them that way. (I didn't follow the online fandom - I would have been very spoiled otherwise, as I was watching the show a few years later). But, during the break between watching seasons 3 and 4 (I watched the first 3 on a TV channel that only aired those, and didn't even know at first there were more seasons), I searched for Buffy stuff online and found out a few spoilers, such as that there are going to be characters named Dawn, Tara etc. and that Buffy/Spike is going to be a thing. My immediate thought was "hey, you know what, that actually makes perfect sense. I mean, it's kind of crazy and unexpected, what with them being enemies and all, and I have no idea how it's going to happen, but at the same time, I can totally see them together." I shipped Buffy/Angel while watching the first 3 seasons of Buffy, but even then I always felt that they didn't seem to perfectly fit with each other. Buffy and Spike always had better chemistry (not that Bangel didn't have good chemistry, but Spuffy always had more).

Funny, around the same time I also learned that Angel/Cordy was going to be a thing, but with them I actually had the "Huh? What? Those two?" reaction.

So, I voted "pre-Something Blue" since that comes closest to describing when I liked Bangel - which is before I learned Spuffy even was/could be a thing (and also overlaps with the time when shipping Bangel still made sense in general).

Stoney
22-12-17, 04:36 AM
I never preferred Buffy/Angel over Buffy/Spike. I did ship Bangel in the early seasons and think they were important for each other then. But there was no point when Buffy/Spike had actually truly started that I preferred Bangel over them. Sure we can look back in hindsight at Buffy and Spike's interactions S2-3 and see what drew them to each other and the progress, but it wasn't a current thing at that point so I wasn't choosing to ship Bangel over Spuffy then. :noidea:

I'm very amused that you worked whether people preferred Spike/Dru over Spike/Buffy into a poll in a thread about Bangel vs Spuffy, MikeB. Your preference is showing, ha. :biggrin1:

Priceless
22-12-17, 09:44 AM
I loved the first three seasons of Buffy, and enjoyed aspects of the Buffy/Angel relationship, but I never felt deeply invested in them as a couple. When Angel decided to leave, I thought that was the best decision for both of them.

MikeB
07-02-18, 01:24 PM
Stoney

I'm very amused that you worked whether people preferred Spike/Dru over Spike/Buffy into a poll in a thread about Bangel vs Spuffy, MikeB. Your preference is showing, ha. I prefer Spike/Dru the most. But liking Spike/Dru and especially preferring it over Buffy/Spike can obviously influence one's regard for Buffy/Angel vs. Buffy/Spike.

I also listed this: "I liked Buffy/Riley over Buffy/Angel & Buffy/Spike" as a poll choice.