PDA

View Full Version : Could the world survive if Buffy was never resurrected after “The Gift” (B 5.22)?

MikeB
04-01-17, 06:07 PM
* First off, the job of Buffy is to save the entire world. If the Hellmouth opens, the world is doomed not only Sunnydale.

* Willow is not a Slayer. Pre-Dark Willow (and really pre-BtVS S8), she needs to constantly do spells in order to be effective against the forces of darkness. Moreover, magic is borrowed power. Giles training Willow and the others wouldn’t have suddenly made the others Slayers.

Buffy was able to stop Glory from killing Willow. A Buffy-less Scooby Gang wouldn’t have been able to defeat Glory.

Even in “Chosen” (B 7.22), Willow’s role is to give BUFFY more power by making a bunch of other Slayers (all of whom Buffy will be leader to).

* Buffy is the reason Jasmine didn’t have more control over Angel. In his “perfect fantasy”, he says, “Buffy” before reverting to ‘Angelus’—Buffy continues to actually be more important to him than Cordelia is.

* Buffy is the reason Willow gains so much power. She would have never become Dark Willow without Warren’s trying to kill Buffy. Willow then gets more power from Giles. Buffy’s idea for the Empowerment Spell turns Willow into a ‘goddess’. In Season 9 [spoiler] the Embodiment of Magic is specifically willing to give Willow so much power because Willow is connected to Buffy. [spoiler]

* Spike’s primary concern before seeing Buffy in “Afterlife” (B 6.03) is Dawn’s safety and protection. He’s willing to let the other Scoobies die if Dawn’s possibly at risk. And Spike doesn’t get his “mojo” back until “Tabula Rasa” (B 6.08) at-soonest and it’s all because of his relationship with Buffy.

a thing of evil
05-01-17, 12:27 AM
Of course. The world always survives. Sunnydale wasn't destroyed for the first time in 2003, somebody obliterated half of the town in the 30s to stop Master's ritual and, yes, I am willing to bet that the convenient earthquake was the official, newspaper version. Something would have filled the power vacuum left by Buffy after a bloody interregnum, obviously. There's only the question of cost. When apocalypse happens Buffy generally stops it *without* blowing up Sunnydale. So yeah, bringing her back, still a good decision.

Buffy is the reason Willow gains so much power.

Nah. Willow is the reason Willow gains so much power. Tara's death didn't make Willow more powerful. It only made her willing to use the power she already had, she already earned and whatnot. If you're asking whether Willow could handle the hell mouth? Yeah, I guess, eventually. I mean, it's not like she lacks the power.

In Season 9 the Embodiment of Magic is specifically willing to give Willow so much power because Willow is connected to Buffy.

Nah. Buffy practically doesn't exist in Wonderland. The word Buffy is used, like, once in the entire mini, during the encounter with the dream birds and that's it. Basically, Buffy has nothing to do with it.

A Buffy-less Scooby Gang wouldn’t have been able to defeat Glory.

I don't know. They could've killed Dawn. They could've killed Ben. They could've left Sunnydale in a normal car, one that is, you know, faster than a horse. They could've bought Dawn a plane ticket to, like, Australia or something.

MikeB
06-02-18, 03:39 PM
a thing of evil

* Have you forgotten "Bargaining" (B 6.01-2). The Scoobies are a mess and it seems the Buffybot is the most effective demon-killer among them.

* Buffy dusted the Master twice by "When She Was Bad" (B 2.01). The threats to Sunnydale and the world became much greater post-B 2.01.

* Willow successfully resurrected Buffy and Buffy saves Willow and Co. in "Bargaining Part II" (B 6.02). Willow, Tara, Xander, and Anya may have died in "Bargaining Part II" if Buffy wasn't resurrected. Willow's wanting to mindwipe Buffy is the reason Tara breaks up with Willow. That results in Willow's de-ratting Amy, which results in Willow's meeting Rack, which eventually results in Dark Willow, which results in Giles giving Willow a power boost.

* My quote: "In Season 9 the Embodiment of Magic is specifically willing to give Willow so much power because Willow is connected to Buffy."

That's what happens.

a thing of evil
07-02-18, 12:25 PM
Have you forgotten "Bargaining" (B 6.01-2). The Scoobies are a mess and it seems the Buffybot is the most effective demon-killer among them.

Yeah, 'cause they're kinda focused on resurrecting Buffy, duh.

Willow's wanting to mindwipe Buffy is the reason Tara breaks up with Willow.

Tara breaks up with Willow because Willow messed with her memory, like, repeatedly. It's not about Buffy.

* My quote: "In Season 9 the Embodiment of Magic is specifically willing to give Willow so much power because Willow is connected to Buffy."

That's what happens.

Sorry man but that is such a bullshit. It sounds like another nonsensical theory of yours, honestly. Here's what the embodiment tells Willow: A gift. One you are finally ready to receive. (...) Given only to you...but not only for you. Do you see Buffy mentioned in that sentence? Look at those pages.

https://abload.de/img/bswns5y.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=bswns5y.jpg)
https://abload.de/img/2v9s2o.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=2v9s2o.jpg)

Where does the embodiment mention Willow's connection to Buffy? Or Buffy at all? Spoiler alert - nowhere, it doesn't. And why would it? Buffy's not a witch. She's a slayer. Her interest in magic and cosmology is fairly minimal. This isn't about her. It's not her story. It's not even her comic. There's "Willow" written on the cover and the "o" in Willow looks like a moon, 'cause she's a witch (it's pretty neat, you've noticed that?) Come on, I love Buffy and all that but not everything that happens in the 'verse is about her. Lots of things aren't. There are entire stories, seasons even one could argue, where Buffy ends up being not very important. And that's fine. That's normal.

Priceless
28-02-18, 11:39 PM
It's really hard to predict but I think the world might have been destroyed without Buffy. We had the demon motorcycle gang destroying Sunnydale in early S6, without Buffy to defeat them, they would have taken over the town, and word would have spread that the slayer was dead. That would have given the demons confidence and they would have become more dangerous. Buffy wouldn't be there to keep their population down and I imagine they'd over run the town, similar to what we saw in The Wish. Once Sunnydale is over run, it wouldn't be long till the state and then the country would be over run by demons and it would only take one who wanted to end the world. I don't think it would take long before the world was devastated if Buffy wasn't resurrected.

Fool for Buffy
01-03-18, 01:46 PM
I like to think that Buffy was needed; that justifies Willow’s decision and makes Buffy’s season 6 depression even more real. Also, even though Sunnydale is only one town, any random demon could open the hellmouth without Buffy, and we see how much demons try that, which would end up destroying the world.

GoSpuffy
01-03-18, 03:35 PM
I think it could have survived. There's a balance between good and evil. If evil started to get bigger, good would have been jolted into action. Perhaps Faith could have been taken out of jail to fight or killed to launch a new slayer. The big fight at the end of AtS was more danger to humanity than the demons at the beginning of S6 yet the world survived.