PDA

View Full Version : "Cruel Intentions" reboot officially dead, may be redeveloped

MikeB
23-12-16, 07:15 PM
http://deadline.com/2016/12/cruel-intentions-reboot-dead-may-be-redeveloped-1201875256/

SMG's biggest career mistakes are not demanding around $10-15MM to do The Grudge 2 and for leaving CAA.

Still, I don't see why something cannot be done on Netflix or something.

BuffyBreakdancer
03-09-17, 05:30 PM
This gutted me. I don't even like reboots, but SMG deserves to be on TV. She's always been such a versatile actress, but she never gets the chance to show her chops. Ringer was cancelled too soon, and now TV shows are being cancelled before they even hit the air.

I know they managed to finish shooting the pilot. Would love to see that if it hits the internet sometime soon.

KingofCretins
03-09-17, 11:33 PM
http://deadline.com/2016/12/cruel-intentions-reboot-dead-may-be-redeveloped-1201875256/

SMG's biggest career mistakes are not demanding around $10-15MM to do The Grudge 2 and for leaving CAA.

Still, I don't see why something cannot be done on Netflix or something.

She was in that sequel for like 3 minutes.

She is having a fantastic life by all observation and account, so not sure what your problem is here. She does voiceover work, she clearly likes to put a lot of time into her family, if I understand she has philanthropic activities. I think signing up for this project was more of a lark than anything.

MikeB
06-02-18, 11:37 PM
She was in that sequel for like 3 minutes. Obviously, The Grudge would have been a SMG franchise and she would be been in The Grudge 2 for more than 3 minutes.

If I remember correctly, Uma Thurman got $10MM for Kill Bill Volume 2 . The Grudge was a big moneymaker relative to cost and SMG was its main advertising.

* SMG's career could have been better had she made better choices post-BtVS S7 including doing a BtVS S8.

I think signing up for this project was more of a lark than anything. In my opinion, it was clear desperation. SMG was known as Buffy, the public--including many BtVS viewers--consider she essentially quit BtVS to do Scooby Doo 2 . Her acting in The Grudge was bad. She quit the most powerful agency just when that agency was finally interesting in her moneymaking potential. Then she decides to essentially do a cameo for what easily could have been her franchise.

She tried to distance herself from BtVS and Buffy even though she mostly kept her dyed hair. 2 TV series got cancelled after 1 Season. Cruel Intentions is probably her best movie including her acting in it that many actually saw.

KingofCretins
06-02-18, 11:59 PM
She has nothing to be desperate over. You have, I'll be blunt, a pretty banal and narrow concept of "success" for anyone who has worked even a hot minute in the entertainment industry. She and her husband did quite well in their respective windows of highest exposure, must be good with their money given they live an affluent mostly-Manhattanite lifestyle, and have the luxury to be very selective with their jobs. She doesn't take projects out of desperation because there is objectively no indication she is nor should feel desperate in the first place. Signing up for a recurring role in a reboot of "Cruel Intentions" sounds every bit like something she did for a laugh more than a desperate grasp at a paycheck. You have only seen her in the few things you have because those have been the few things that have caught her interest to try. When have you heard a story about her launching a self-promotional campaign to be in the MCU or DCEU, for instance, as many actresses have done to draw some heat to their brand? Never, because she hasn't. Someone "desperate" for her career in film or TV to reenergize would have.

Priceless
07-02-18, 09:32 AM
SMG is doing very well with her Foodstirs business, and likes to spend as much time as possible with her family, so I am sure life is pretty good for her at the moment. But I do think she became involved with Cruel Intentions because at least a small part of her wants to get back to acting, to be involved in tv again. There's no desperation there, just a need to perform, which is what she must have got so much satisfaction from. As a fan I would love to see her on tv again, she has so much talent and it feels like a waste.

flow
07-02-18, 06:00 PM
SMG's career could have been better

How would you define a "better" career ? By the amount of money Uma Thurman makes ? The number of movies she is in ? The Awards she has recieved ?

Uma Thurman is clearly a more successfull actress, than SMG is. But she has been divorced twice, has been in a custody battle over her third child, has been a victim of a very creepy stalker, has suffered permanent injuries due to a stunt for a Kill Bill and has been sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein. I adore Uma Thurman and think, she is a great actress, but I would not want to trade my life for hers.

flow